Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Condition Called Love
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 8:25 AM

Nov 2011
Got classic romance vibes from this.

School setting looks normal with the daily activites like track and field. Main female protagonist Hotaru also seems like an ordinary girl and her encounter with Saki Hananoi is natural. There's some chemistry in this first episode but seems to be setting up the overall tone and story for now.

I think it's a decent start for a romance anime. Nothing too dramatic yet but well fitting for its genre.
Apr 4, 8:25 AM

May 2020
Sexiest guy in town.. a very oblivious, plain looking, one who doesn’t know the way of the world kind of girl, and then the next thing you see… they are already going out, for reasons even unknown to god. Female self-insertion at its peak lol.

I mean this wasn’t even laughable, the guy just got dumped by a girl who was as unimportant as, it seems, the logic in this series, and then some snowing in the background, some umbrella stuff, and dude literally went and proposed to the main girl the next day… what? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? No the main question is, why? He handsome right, so if it was some pussy he wanted he would’ve gotten it anyways, why this roundabout way?

The pair seems so out of ordinary, that even the main girl is surprised over the sequence of events. Throwing some cheesy lines like “I did this for you”, won’t make for the stupid stuff we watched for the better part of this episode.

This guy is the perfect guy of the modern world who can make the girls wet… he’s good looking, he’s tall, he’s toxic.. just missing the beard. Again self-insertion at its peak lol.

“I’ll do anything as long as it is for you and makes you smile”. Lmaoooo, dude who passed the k-drama script here? This is hilarious more than it is bad. Very low expectations going forward.
Apr 4, 8:26 AM

Dec 2021
After three failed attempts, Morino Megumi's work has finally hit the mark with a successful anime adaptation, and it's none other than a shoujo.

I never expected to see the day when SEXY ZONE would perform an OP for an anime, but here we are, and although it doesn't quite fit the show, it's an absolute banger. On the other hand, Mina Okabe's ED is calm and soothing, just my type of song. The OST overall is fantastic.

Hotaru Hinase is a high school freshman with a loving family and supportive friends, but she's had little success in the romance department. One day, she witnesses Hananoi, a handsome boy from the neighboring class, getting dumped. Moved by his loneliness, Hotaru offers him an umbrella. This small gesture leads Hananoi to ask her out. Suddenly confronted with romantic feelings, Hotaru wonders about the true meaning of love and what it entails. She's taken aback by Hananoi's sincere affection and his willingness to do anything for the one he loves. And so, a tale of first love unfolds between a girl who struggles to grasp romantic feelings and a boy who may be overly enthusiastic in matters of the heart.

In real life, this guy would be the type to cause harm. He's a bit too intense for a new relationship. It's sweet, but I really question Hananoi's mental state. Going out in freezing weather just to find a girl's hairclip whom he's known for only a few days... Speaking of him, it's a shame he cut his hair. You don't often see male leads with his hairstyle in shoujo anime, usually they have short hair. There was more progress here in one episode than most other anime like this achieve in 100. Weird, but I like it. I'm a bit put off by Hananoi, but I suppose we'll see him develop over time. It's kind of relatable to be an empty or shapeless person who molds themselves to someone else's shape to make them happy instead of focusing on yourself. Like water personified.

I'm thrilled that we're getting so many shoujo anime nowadays. And this one seems like a good one, even a great one. The OST, animation, everything about this first episode was fantastic... this will be quite a journey.

Apr 4, 8:26 AM

Jul 2017
Mangaka Megumi Morino's Hananoi-kun, it's the combination of so many shows: BokuYaba, YubiRen and even Otonari no Tenshi-sama. Also, this is East Fish Studio's first full-featured anime series.

This is NOT "Kimi no Sei" by the Peggies lols, it's the same song title but under a different band. Mina Okabe's ED song is nice, the Jap version of it.

For 16-year-old Hotaru Hinase, her witnessing a breakup of the handsome honor student Saki Hananoi and his ex with her friend Kyo, the former has no experience in love and romance, so she couldn't really care less. That is until she met Hananoi enough to sympathize him, and he wants to warrant a relationship with her, by hook, or literally by force, even if she politely declined. Hananoi cutting his hair to be able for Hotaru to get to know him better, that's only the first step in the journey of falling in love, as more steps forthcoming to make her want to love him more. Hananoi's a tryhard, that's for sure.

Her friend losing one of her hairpins, and in the raging snow, it's quite difficult to find for it within the school compounds...which Hananoi is helping her to find it in order to please her, which she is not happy with. Eventually, he did manage to find her hairpin, and in the same way, she found his earring too, which two is better than one. And that puts Hotaru in a spade that she wants to try dating him to understand better about love and romance, even f their philosophies are not the same.

Can make or break the series in general of this condition called love.
KANLen09Apr 5, 10:33 PM
Apr 4, 8:28 AM
Aug 2022
Trail period for a Couple!!!
Upcoming episodes are going to be spicy.
Apr 4, 9:19 AM

Dec 2010
Watched on Netflix and it seems to be a good start.

Really excited to hear more KanaHana.
Apr 4, 9:23 AM
Sep 2015
There's something fishy about this generic-looking romance anime. I guess the highlight would be Hananoi's backstory on why he behave like this. Ultimately this will be about someone who doesn't understand romantic relationship and someone who misunderstand romantic relationship.
Apr 4, 9:25 AM

Apr 2010
Not what i expected but it was pretty good and nice to watch.
The main male seems a bit strange in his behaviour but that doesn't have to be a bad thing and he seems to mean well.
The main was also nice to watch but she doesn't seem to understand her own feelings, i guess this is the start of an odd couple which could be a nice thing to watch.
As for the other characters they seem nice but we didn't get to much time with that yet.
Apr 4, 9:32 AM

Feb 2021
Ngl was on a fence whether to watch this one or not, but I liked the few shojo that I watched, so eh.
Can't really say anything, it just started. Let's see how their relationship will develop from now.
Apr 4, 9:42 AM

Mar 2021
This was quite good i was a bit unsure at first but this was episode was great and incredibly cute, am now looking forward to watching this now.
Apr 4, 9:51 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah this just ain't my thing, not even HanaKana can keep me here. Not bad but just not in the mood for this kind of romance. Maybe I'll give it a try again when it finishes airing. The fmc is cute and HanaKana's voicing her after all.
Apr 4, 10:01 AM
Jan 2021
I love the manga so of course I'll watch the anime. But I'm not really a fan of the way the main characters look in the anime.
Apr 4, 10:23 AM
Feb 2023
The story not too bad, but just tamplate anime romance's
Apr 4, 10:34 AM
Aug 2022
I really enjoyed this first episode despite not being particularly excited to watch this. But it blew away my expectations. It's just a classical sweet romance with no dumb tropes. It's kinda like Koikimo but the main guy isn't a yandere and they don't have a big age gap
Apr 4, 10:57 AM
Aug 2020
I’m a fuckinggg lover so yes, i really enjoyed this first ep.

Good animation/ great ost/ and the story sounds interesting even if it’s not that original.

I can’t wait to see how the things will go between them…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 4, 11:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was.. eh, very cliché and standard stuff. Not bad but very unoriginal

HanaKana is always a plus but not sure that'll be enough to keep me engaged with this one
Apr 4, 11:08 AM
Mar 2018
Some cold open that was! :D

More seriously, I had a lot of fun watching this premiere; I thought the writing was good, with a nice sense of pacing that left no room for a dull moment, as well as some interesting character work.

I really enjoyed the two lovebirds' heartwarming, sometimes romantic gestures toward one another. I think Hananoi and Hotaru are both very sympathetic characters who have a lot of love to give.

The visuals are slick, although I do wish the directing and shot composition were more daring and inventive.

The music is good. I really like the song for the ED.
Apr 4, 11:11 AM

Apr 2021
There was really no subtlety whatsoever, Hananoi has all the cliché lines locked in. But I guess I'm sticking around to see how things progress, because a confession and getting together in the first episode is always a plus in my book.
Apr 4, 11:26 AM
Jun 2021
This was super cute!

First of all, I loved the op both song wise and visually.

I liked the aspect of the main character not understanding love. I’m excited to see how she’ll develop throughout the show! I like the main guy too, he’s just really genuine.

I’m quite happy we got a shojo this season, I think this will turn out to be a cute show!

Honestly, this is the best first episode that I’ve watched this season so far, I’d give it an 8/10.
Apr 4, 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Surprisingly good start. I was afraid that Hananoi will ba typical shoujo ikemen type, but he doesn't seem to be like this.
Also HanaKana as Hotaru (and Hotaru herself) is so cute.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 4, 11:32 AM
Mar 2024
A nice adaptation from the Manga so far. I enjoyed the first episode a lot :)
Apr 4, 11:34 AM

Feb 2016
Well, this was one of the romance anime premieres of all time for sure.

I'll start by saying that the OP and ED song choices were very weird, they definitely do not match the tone of the anime, they feel out of place. I wonder who directed or had the music choice for this, because I would certainly fire them on the spot.

The animation feels fine for the most part, until they start using hideous Blurred CG for filler background characters, which ends up looking out of place for the most part, and it's VERY distracting.

Technical issues with the Audiovisuals aside, this premiere from a story and character standpoint, while having something good on paper, ends up being exceedingly mediocre.

Add doses of extremely convenient events and very inept moments, this feels like a fanfiction. Random guy breaks up with girl, ends up chilling on the snow, and the main heroine comes by with an umbrella, and voalá, the guy somehow ended up falling for her.

It doesn't help either that this display of "romance" is just deplorable, I really wanted to like this, but oh well.

I watched this expecting something like Skip to Loafer considering the artstyle, but unfortunately, it's the opposite of that, there's no layers, there's only very inept character tropes that infuriates me more than I want to admit, hands down the worst premiere of the season for me so far.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 4, 11:42 AM
Senpai

May 2021
I will watch it, because i want a romance anime this season. I can't understand why this looks so bad tho. Kimi ni Todoke, 2009, looks better than this lol. 15 years later.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 4, 11:49 AM

Oct 2011
amazing first episode!!!!!
Apr 4, 11:52 AM
Feb 2024
I was so excited when I found out this was getting an anime adaption, I love the manga so much!! Especially now that it’s been a few weeks since A Sign of Affection ended, I’m so glad I have another romance anime to watch! The VAs that got picked suit each character so well, knowing who they are from different animes makes it kind of nostalgic, I’m really looking forward to seeing this! (*≧∀≦*)

The umbrella scene 。゚(゚´ω`゚)゚。 ahhhh, it was beautiful!!
The animation style is gorgeous, the soundtrack is perfect, one episode in and they’re really doing the manga justice!!! It’s all even better than I could have hoped for, I’m thrilled (*≧∀≦*)

Find someone who will look at you the way Hananoi looks at Hotaru and how Hotaru looks at that steamed bun (*≧∀≦*)

“This isn’t going to kill me.” Um, Hananoi-kun, last time I checked, you were still a Japanese Shojo protagonist. So it actually could kill you. Or at the very least, make you deliriously sick 😂
What a beautiful contrast though
Hotaru: trying to discover what love really is
Hananoi: experiencing what love really is for the first time
Apr 4, 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
"If I got to see you smile, then at least I'd die happy."

Oh hell nah, that's wild for a girl he just met lol.

Well an okay first episode, doesn't seem like the show will offer anything special for a shoujo but it's not bad. I like Hotaru so far. Will have to see about Hananoi. Though I'm quite upset he cut his hair...this reminds me of the Miyamura situation all over again. He looked way less generic and prettier with his longer hair T-T

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 4, 12:13 PM

Feb 2007
Hotaru is basically a straight version of Yuu. Luckily for her, while Hananoi has his own share of problems to work through, he's not as negative about himself as Touko, though.
Apr 4, 12:58 PM

Mar 2020
Overall it's good, but I have mixed feelings about it. The animation and voice acting, including bgm are good, but the character design.. I don't know, I feel like it didn't do the manga justice.

The story is nice, but Hananoi's love is too "heavy", for me at least, he's the type that would treat people so nice that I would feel bad for him, like as a partner he'll make me feel as if I owed it to him. He's not a bad person, he's just awkwardly care about people too much, like for a girl who you just meet, and you'll do all that for her, sometimes too much isn't good either.

It's not like I don't like nor hate him because of it but it's just..too much for me to handle I guess, I wouldn't break up and curse him out like the girl did at the beginning though. He loves too much and our girl doesn't know the feeling of love so let's hope that they can balance each other out, and learn to love and not to love so much? lol, idk but I hope that our girl can change him and teach him to care about himself too.
Yumi_KiaraApr 4, 1:04 PM
Apr 4, 1:15 PM

Nov 2016
Nice to already have an anime that's filling the shoujo void left by A Sign of Affection.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 1:19 PM
Nov 2018
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know yet if I like the guy who seems to jump from one relationship to the next. He gets dumped and, in less than an hour, falls in love with a girl holding an umbrella over his head. I'm still going to give it a try.
Apr 4, 2:16 PM
Apr 2021
I really like the art style, although I think it's gonna be a rather generic romance anime.
Apr 4, 2:18 PM

Sep 2021
This show seems to be off to a promising start! I mainly decided to watch this because 1: I’m starved of shoujo anime and 2: a YouTuber I watch said the manga was amazing. Hananoi’s actions feel less romantic and more borderline obsessive, I think that Hotaru is definitely right to feel weirded out. However, I’m interested in seeing how their relationship develops.
Apr 4, 2:25 PM

Jul 2021
If most part of this episode was close to the end of the series, I think it would be a very good one, but being the first one, it feels rushed. Hananoi falled for the main character with just one interaction, it feels a little unnatural to do so, and it's not like it was love at first sight, but judging by what he said, he does this all the time. How can you say so easily that you would be okay to die by someone that you've been with for such a short period of time? It feels weird... The show is not bad at all, the art is very cute, but it feels rushed, it's not giving the time for the characters to actually be able to develop feelings...
Apr 4, 2:28 PM
May 2023
I just have one question…. Did hotarou stay back a year or what?
Apr 4, 2:39 PM

Mar 2010
I love Chiaki!! I am glad they are both sweet hearts. I am really liking this so far.
Apr 4, 3:36 PM

Oct 2014
It started ok… a bit cliche falling in love after 1 interaction (similar to angel next door umbrella scene)

Love both the VA for both our leads so will continue to watch.

Hananoi is a bit too obsessive, borderline stalker. His main saving grace was atleast he knew when he went too far and was going to back off at the end.

Hopefully there is good character development for both of our leads.
Apr 4, 3:46 PM
Jul 2023
I love it, it made me forget about my problems for 20 minutes 🤷‍♀️😭👍
Apr 4, 3:51 PM

Apr 2022
another season, another shoujo although i'm not that big on the manga for this one as much as the one from last season. love hanakana as well but i don't she really suits hotaru. this was an alright start.
Apr 4, 3:51 PM
Mar 2020
Read the manga and I’m excited so far the show’s the same story line!
Apr 4, 4:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Very nice first episode, I’m liking the dynamic of the relationship between Hotaru and Hananoi quite a bit already, it’s pretty unique giving how you have Hananoi who seems to go too far for his target of affection, and Hotaru who doesn’t know what love is really. I will say Hananoi came off a bit weird at first, and typically I’d say to back away slowly but it seems like he’s just an awkward lad who doesn’t know much of what he’s doing himself, I was happy to see Hotaru finally give him a chance at the end.

And speaking of Hotaru, liking her a lot already as well, I really like her design and of course you can’t go wrong with thick eyebrows on a waifu lol, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing her moments with Hananoi going forward, as well as her friends who we saw a bit of in this episode. And as for the OP and ED, both very very nice, I really liked them, that ED tho especially stood out to me, and it’s interesting to see the Japanese version for the show isn’t the original version of the song, it sounds great in Japanese for sure tho, quite possibly another favorite ED of mine this season. Also the OP artist being called “Sexy Zone” caught me off guard lol, perhaps the show might enter the sexy zone at some point, who knows. But with that I’m excited for some romance goodness, hope it stays great!
Apr 4, 4:35 PM
Feb 2015
Glad i give it a chance regardless of the score, this is my kind of romance

These two are very relatable, hananoi kun as people pleaser and hotaru an asexual or someone who didn't have any experience in love. I have a hunch it gonna be a treat to see their journey as a person and to find out what is love. Everyone deserved to be love

What a chill couple
And the op and ending are pleasing too
Apr 4, 4:38 PM
Jan 2023
phantomfandom said:
There's something fishy about this generic-looking romance anime. I guess the highlight would be Hananoi's backstory on why he behave like this. Ultimately this will be about someone who doesn't understand romantic relationship and someone who misunderstand romantic relationship.

Yes! exactly, I agree completely. Hotaru is inexperienced and that gives her a unique outlook on Hananoi's behaviour. The show could easily label it as romantic, but truly his behaviour is very sad and Hotaru sees that. I don't want to say "I hope she can fix him", but I hope that she can show him healthier expectations and that they can heal and grow together. I have had overly romantic partners like Hananoi before, and it truly is painful. The first show had some really human elements and I'm looking forwards to how they approach the rest of the show.
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

Jul 2021
This was quite boring ngl, the animation is also pretty lackluster. didn't even have the comedy going for it
Apr 4, 6:13 PM

Sep 2023
Another romance starting with an umbrella...

I was surprised that during the very first episode, Hotaru, who supposedly does not understand romance at all, as per the premise of the show, started dating Hananoi pretty much right away. And why would he be so suddenly crazy into her (seeing her smile would make him die happy line), just after exchanging a few words and an umbrella for a moment.

I guess it happens all the time for male MCs so it's only fair to get some female self insert once in a while.
Apr 4, 6:15 PM
Oct 2023
Softhenic03 said:
Sexiest guy in town.. a very oblivious, plain looking, one who doesn’t know the way of the world kind of girl, and then the next thing you see… they are already going out, for reasons even unknown to god. Female self-insertion at its peak lol.

I mean this wasn’t even laughable, the guy just got dumped by a girl who was as unimportant as, it seems, the logic in this series, and then some snowing in the background, some umbrella stuff, and dude literally went and proposed to the main girl the next day… what? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? No the main question is, why? He handsome right, so if it was some pussy he wanted he would’ve gotten it anyways, why this roundabout way?

The pair seems so out of ordinary, that even the main girl is surprised over the sequence of events. Throwing some cheesy lines like “I did this for you”, won’t make for the stupid stuff we watched for the better part of this episode.

This guy is the perfect guy of the modern world who can make the girls wet… he’s good looking, he’s tall, he’s toxic.. just missing the beard. Again self-insertion at its peak lol.

“I’ll do anything as long as it is for you and makes you smile”. Lmaoooo, dude who passed the k-drama script here? This is hilarious more than it is bad. Very low expectations going forward.

You know what, I fucks with you. I probably wasn’t going to watch this anyway, but thank you, now I feel reinsured and fulfilled after reading this.
Apr 4, 6:34 PM
Jun 2021
Foi muito feliz e fofo
Apr 4, 7:32 PM
May 2017
Good beginning episode! Hotaru is a good girl who is easy to like. Saki is trying too hard... Expecting the story and, at least, Saki and Hotaru to compensate the animation quality, between good and bad.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 4, 7:32 PM
Jan 2024
The ed is a banger.
Apr 4, 8:02 PM

Sep 2007
I remember trying to read the manga for this a while back and.....not getting far for some reason....let's see if I'll last longer with the anime version...

But the height difference still makes me CRINGE a bit inside....
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Apr 4, 8:07 PM
Jan 2021
Cute, a bit too fast paced personally.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - 2 hours ago

6 by Shingster »»
1 minute ago

» Hananoi is Crazy

TheMageDalamar - Apr 26

33 by Juonithz »»
Yesterday, 3:22 PM

» Why nobody talking about his haircut

iNinjeek - Apr 27

11 by Juonithz »»
Yesterday, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 11

104 by MionMilla »»
Yesterday, 5:47 AM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 18

73 by Twintail_Daemon »»
Yesterday, 1:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.