Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
This episode is really interesting imo, because it take a deep dive into Izumo's past and the relationship she shared with her mother. It seems her mother was a gentle woman who loves her daughter. Their family is kinda complicated but Izumo's mother seems like the ideal mother to have.

The episode also tells history about their shrine maiden lineage too. Just a very important episode to the overall lore of the series. Izumo's complicated personality and family is very fascinating to see from her perspective.
Feb 10, 7:58 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 10, 8:21 AM

Dec 2021
Izumo just can't seem to catch a break, poor thing. I can't help but feel sorry for her.

Takara calls upon Fox God Mike, Izumo's familiar, to discuss the historical backdrop involving the Kamiki family and the Inari Taisha Shrine. Stemming from generations of shrine maidens, Tamamo, the mother of Izumo and Tsukumo, assumes the role of family leader burdened with controlling the fox demon, Nine Tails. Despite Izumo's formidable divine abilities as a shrine maiden, she lacks support in her personal life, spending her days amidst the lively presence of her mother and younger sister. However, tranquility shatters with the emergence of the Inari Light Foundation, signaling a descent into turmoil for their once serene existence.

It's really no surprise that Izumo finds it hard to trust anyone. She had to grow up faster than most, without any reliable adults to lean on. And then there's Tamamo... Any man who turns his back on his own kids isn't worth a second thought. But despite it all, her child still stands by her, showing true love and care. How could she not see that? It's almost funny how she takes her frustration out on the kids because the man she loves won't step up. Talk about missing the point.

Then there's Poor Izumo, haunted by memories of a childhood filled with neglect from her father and loneliness as a misunderstood child. Even her own mother let her down. She's been wearing a mask, hiding her pain, enduring a life that's nothing short of miserable, all while waiting for her turn to be a lab experiment. No wonder she's become so distant. I just wish we could see her smile more in this series. And that ugly fuck of a scientist... he just pisses me off. I'm holding out hope that someone, maybe Rin or someone else, finally puts him in his place.

This episode really hit hard, probably the most emotional one yet. All I can hope for now is that Rin and the gang find a way to take down that ugly fuck once and for all.

Feb 10, 10:01 AM

Feb 2021
Holy shiiiiit. Izumo being the way she is makes so much sense now. Her childhood being fucked up is an understatement.
At first I thought that that woman from Illuminati is putting up a front, but she turned out to be a nice person. Her begging for her life and then being killed just like that was so tragic.
But that short Illuminati guy looks so goofy and punchable, I can't really take him seriously lmao. I hate him with every ounce of my being already. I hope he dies a painful death.
One of the best episodes in all of Blue Exorcist
Feb 10, 10:28 AM
Jan 2022
Holy shit that was dark. Didn't expected Izumo past to be that sad.
Feb 10, 10:35 AM
Sep 2015
Skippable episode.
Feb 10, 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Love it when the OP plays in the beginning. Let's me know that things are about to pop off.

Considering her history with these people Shinzo really screwed up his chances of having any kind of relationship with Izumo. Can't wait till that scumbag gets what's coming to him.

On another note, it's a shame that her mum is the definition of a lazy genius. Heck if anything the foxes should make a full contract with Izumo by now.
Feb 10, 10:57 AM
Oct 2023
Beautiful production this week. That Illuminati scum is the best example of how some people are worse than demons. Hopefully some people caught how the lady looked very similar to Shiemi - it explains why Izumo was so rude towards her and hated her kindness.
Someone sad it was a skippable episode??? Why?? So now any episode of an anime without fight scenes is bad? I can still remember how these chapters made me cry while reading the manga and I still teared up watching this episode. Blue Exorcist is a character-driven story, so most of the plot comes from the different motivations of the characters and what they think of the world. It's not exactly a battle shounen although it has fight scenes, it's more like dark fantasy. And it's also criminally underrated internationally considering how talented the mangaka is.
Feb 10, 12:32 PM
Jan 2020
I think Kamiki's past is bad, I already thought that in the manga and even in the anime I still think it's bad, I really want to see the central plot with the protagonist and the villains I don't care about the other characters, only Mephisto I love him
Feb 10, 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
What a messed up childhood Izumo had, no wonder she became so closed off and reluctant to build relationships. Seeing her mom become that way, and what happened to the Illuminati lady was sad, fuck that scientist. Characters like him, across all forms of media, are so easy to hate and I always wish for the worst to happen to them.

phantomfandom said:
Skippable episode.

Yea, because fuck characterization am I right. 🤦
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 10, 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
grand chungus gedouin is such an insufferable fat lard obese chomo.
Feb 10, 2:21 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, jeez, that was some dark past! No wonder why she seems to be the most reluctant when it comes to trusting someone. That murder intent during submission at the end of the episode was telling, the grudge is real and for good reason! Man, Rin and the group better fudge up this research lab when they arrive here.

Last episode’s, “It’s all your fault!”, directed from Izumo to her mother makes a lot sense from her POV now. It’s not my place to say whether it was bad parenting or not but from what we could gather, the current Kamiki generation were not blessed with the best parents. I saw illegitimate children being mentioned in the subtitles during the younger sister’s school scene and I guess I was right to fear for the worst.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 10, 2:46 PM
Feb 2019
cada capitulo va mejor que el anterior por favor apoyen la serie , esta siendo brutal
Feb 10, 3:27 PM
Dec 2023
I'm going to start by saying something before I give my opinion: Gedoin, fuck you, you fucking cockroach! Now that that's said, we can move on to what's really important in the episode.

We're left with an episode composed purely of flashbacks, but which help to create substance and depth to Izumo's character.
Her cold, distant attitude towards Rin's gang is totally justified, given the tragic past she has lived through.
In particular, Shiemi must remind her Marie. A character who was profoundly kind to the 2 sisters, but who was killed in the most atrocious way possible before the helpless eyes of this little girl. A girl who was forced, from an early age, to behave like an adult, in the face of this totally irresponsible and capricious mother.

Besides, it makes me laugh when I see people criticizing this episode as unnecessary. Blue Exorcist isn't just a classic comic shonen. It shines in its world-building, character development and relationships.

In terms of pure adaptation, Voln really does an excellent job with the visuals and sound. The sets are really well done, and Kato-Sensei's drawings are a real highlight. This was a quieter episode, but it launched what will be the essence of the rest of the series. Looking forward to next week's episode.
Kumoiro_ShizukiFeb 10, 3:32 PM
Feb 10, 3:59 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Wow what a dark episode. Izumo has a reason for being the way she is and not wanting to trust or rely on anyone after what happened. Looks like we will dive back into the rescue next week after getting a whole episode worth of backstory this week. Looking forward to next week’s episode knowing all we do now.
Feb 10, 4:11 PM

Sep 2015
Reply to phantomfandom
Skippable episode.
@phantomfandom LOL
Feb 10, 5:59 PM

Mar 2016
I want that f'ing annoying guy to stop stealing air, for yesterday.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Feb 10, 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to Stark700
This episode is really interesting imo, because it take a deep dive into Izumo's past and the relationship she shared with her mother. It seems her mother was a gentle woman who loves her daughter. Their family is kinda complicated but Izumo's mother seems like the ideal mother to have.

The episode also tells history about their shrine maiden lineage too. Just a very important episode to the overall lore of the series. Izumo's complicated personality and family is very fascinating to see from her perspective.
@Stark700 Not sure I agree that this is the ideal type of mother, but to each their own. She's certainly better than an abuser or a manipulator, that's for sure.
Feb 10, 8:29 PM

Feb 2008
What a dark episode but what is really necessary to bring backstory. I rather want to watch the main character than go with a whole episode with Izumo past.
Well at least we know why she doesn't trust people. But the usually power of friendships will save her.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Feb 10, 8:58 PM
Jul 2021
That Illuminati scientist guy looks straight outta One Piece. Hope Rin and the gang rescue our girl soon enough.
Feb 10, 9:30 PM

Feb 2016
Crazy how in this series we have the typical shonen characters, and then Izumo being one of the best characters ever lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Feb 11, 12:22 AM

Apr 2015
Well this episode was a bit hard to watch, partly cause the author made sure to give that scientist the ugliest character design possible, but it's probably my favorite episode from this season so far. Poor Izumo. Felt really bad for the scientist that tried to help her and her sister as well.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Feb 11, 1:44 AM

Jul 2014
Cliche bad anime parenting is cliche bad anime parenting. An anime parent telling their child "it's all your fault" for something that very obviously isn't their fault is so cliche at this point that it's basically become parody. I also don't think we needed to have it spelled out that these events would make Izumo never trust anyone again, as it was pretty damn self-evident without her monologue about it.

Also, that lead scientist's design is incredibly distracting and completely out-of-place with everyone else in this series. They should have just changed his design in adaptation rather than presumably maintaining it from the source material: an adaptation can make changes, you know, and it would have been easy to tweak his design to not look so ridiculous and out-of-place.
AtavisticFeb 11, 1:49 AM
Feb 11, 2:39 AM

Mar 2007
Geez what an episode. It was all show don't tell information dump, and her family is just ... FUBAR. The asshole of a father who refused to see her mother. Her mother who was pretty much deranged after that. And the illuminati who just swooped in to pick up the pieces and use her mother as human experimentation stock, and to use her (or her younger sister) as a substitute once the mother is used up. Ewww.

I am so angry beyond belief ... I hope the fat guy gets smashed to shards, SLOWLY so he suffers as much as her mother suffered. Now I wish Izumo had more than slapped him.

This was as disturbing or worse than Made in Abyss, that's saying a lot. Ewwww.
Feb 11, 3:22 AM

Dec 2018
I'm ambivalent; this was really well done but at the same time I just found it really unsatisfying to see so much suffering without any justice. I guess that's the world for you, but to have a whole episode rife with undue pain kind of takes the wind out of your sails.
Feb 11, 4:01 AM
Aug 2023
ngl watching this makes me feel bad for the parents especially the dad more than anything like bro just wanted to live a new life (also not saying that izumo has everything coming for her but i sorta feel bad for her in a way) but instead izumo pushed that man away causing the mom to go full crazy and split the family up beyond recognition. every one has a trouble past or family life but it doesn’t give an excuse to constantly slander your team or at the very least any stranger (yes i know the lady she trusted got killed because she’s gotten too close to her but enough time should’ve past for her to have some doubts but still be friendly and not a typical tsundere) so far a kinda okay episode.
Feb 11, 7:29 AM

Oct 2011
Those scenes animated and with voices just hit different than the manga pages. Very nicely done.
Feb 11, 8:12 AM
Jul 2013
You see Izumo's past, and you realize why he is like that.

• I fucking want Rin to break his mother to the entire Illuminati.
Feb 11, 9:22 AM

Jan 2013
disappointing season....
Feb 11, 10:02 AM

Jun 2016
omg this backstory of izumo is so dark and deep !!!

that ugly bastard so fucking jerk !!

Feb 11, 10:44 AM

Jun 2015
Finally, an interesting episode
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 11, 11:43 AM
Mar 2015
izumo has it really bad
Feb 11, 12:03 PM

Nov 2017
The Kamiki flashback, especially Izumo's, is moving, unveiling the roots of her character and adding depth to the story!
Feb 11, 12:52 PM
May 2019
These episodes are too short 😭
I was so into it and then it ended. I need next episode now! I need that far doctor dead ASAP
Feb 11, 7:45 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
…”ideal mother to have” Wut?

Anyways, this was a hard episode to watch. Terrible that Izumo and her sister didn’t get the childhood they deserved, even before the Illuminati stepped in.
Feb 12, 4:17 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to phantomfandom
Skippable episode.
@phantomfandom

Some important information but for sure took too long and not even finished yet.
Feb 12, 6:32 AM
Jun 2007
Hmm very informative on Kamiki's family bloodline history.
Feb 12, 8:07 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! the OST used in this episode was supreme! Sawano slaps!!!
5/5.

Feb 12, 12:45 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ah yes, Izumo's backstory is definitely hardcore....
Feb 12, 4:38 PM

Jun 2023
It's too cruel for you Izumo
Feb 13, 1:14 AM

Dec 2008
this episode turned out shockingly disturbing, normally this show is cute shounen with evil monsters.
Izumo's past is plain terrible, just terrible!

crazy scientists often appear in anime, but I think that was unnecessary evil and disturbing.
when he still injected the stuff in the female scientist and she was moving her body uncontrollable, I think a piece of me died at that moment.
even quickly introduced characters don't deserve to die that way.

I hope that part of the anime will have a satisfying conclusion, this episode was just traumatic I would say.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 7:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Izumo´s childhood and her vow of be alone!!!!
kekeke
Feb 15, 6:25 PM

Oct 2019
OK seriously, that scientist ruins every scene he's in, I just can't take these villains seriously when they're this cartoonishly evil. I'm sorry Izumo had a hard life, but I was completely checked out by the end, I was too distracted by how terribly written and designed that character is.
Feb 19, 12:25 PM

Mar 2019
With parents like these, no one needs enemies.
I don't like Izumo, but this ep made my heart sad... 😔
Feb 20, 4:05 AM
Mar 2019
Such a sad, and depressing back story. No wonder she has trust issues.
Feb 22, 4:31 PM
Jun 2015
This all began because Izumo’s mother wanted a guy. Crazy thing is she didn’t even technically get rejected! He just established his boundaries lol

On a second thought, I feel bad for Izumo. Just when she was hoping to get some help for her mother, she instead brought hell upon her whole family. Her character makes more sense now.
Feb 25, 5:10 AM

Oct 2017
Well we knew what was gonna happen but it was still sad to see what they did to Izumo's mother.
Feb 25, 7:54 AM

Jan 2014
Seems like Izumo's cursed or something. And her family can't catch a break. Hopefully she becomes a character that can stand on her own after all this instead of filling up time with her tsundere-ing.
Apr 13, 10:09 PM
Jul 2016
well, that was dark.
Apr 17, 8:30 AM

Jan 2021
Sometimes I walk into an episode expecting it to be heavy.... Wasn't expecting that heavy though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16

49 by Nikmomo93 »»
May 6, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2

37 by Kreshre »»
May 6, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

50 by renzospark »»
May 4, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9

44 by renzospark »»
May 4, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24

32 by renzospark »»
May 4, 2:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.