Forums
New
Jan 5, 5:46 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

2023 Yearly Wrap-Up...

...in Code
MAL's development team were hard at work over the last year, improving our backend systems and releasing a few key features that members have been requesting for a long time.

• Dark theme on Desktop! 🎉—Someone turned the lights off! But apparently that's not a problem for many of you. If you prefer to browse MAL in Dark Mode, you can now switch to it in your User Preferences or simply let your automatic system settings handle it.
  • Review System Updates: Part 2—We deployed the next set of updates for our review system. A stats summary was added and adjustments to the display logic were made. More updates that will take user feedback in account are on the way.
  • Forum Conversation View—In order to modernize the forums and allow for multiple conversations to happen within the same forum topic, we've introduced Conversation View. More updates will come to allow users to use this mode to also find their friends' posts more quickly. Give it a try if you haven't checked it out yet.
  • Anime/Manga List Statistics 🎉—We've expanded our user profile pages to also feature an overview of your scores and genres. Have you checked your own stats yet to see if there's a particular anime or manga that you loved even though many others didn't, or the other way around? More graphs/features are planned for the future so keep an eye on this page for more updates.
  • Small QoL Changes, Bug Fixes, & Security Upgrades—Unreported updates to improve member experience include things like adding a "Preview Date" field to make it easier for members to log convention pre-screenings without affecting the Seasonal Anime page. Similarly, our development team has focused on upgrading MAL's backend code over the last year, to keep the site both secure and functioning optimally. As MAL's community continues to grow, these upgrades become more and more important, even though they're development efforts we can't really "see" (unless something goes wrong...)

...in Collaborations
MAL has been strengthening its ties with the anime/manga industry in Japan and there were a few interesting tie-ups that happened over 2023 with various prizes for participants! For more industry-related promotions and events, check out MALxJapan.

• Your Should Read This Manga 2023—At the start of the year, we started a new project which aims to create an annual manga discovery list for the international fan. Passionate manga readers—MAL members, bookstore employees, and more—nominated titles recently licensed and released outside Japan. Creators sent us lovely comments for the winning titles and publishers sent us lists with their own picks. Nominations for You Should Read This Manga 2024 are already live, so send us your hidden gems :pray:
  • 【OSHI NO KO】 Official Club & Profile Badge Event—Blasting its way into MAL's Top Anime and the hearts of many fans, we collaborated with creators to run an "Oshi no Ko" event on MAL. Users paired themes with screenshots from the anime to complete unique bingo cards and claim a profile badge. We hope you're ready for season two later this year! Join the club for more updates~
  • Web Novel Writing Contest 2023—For the third year, we partnered up with Honeyfeed to bring you our 2023 web novel writing contest. Your chance to realize that dream of having your stories be adapted into manga and published by Kodansha in Japan. The contest typically runs over the summer months, so if it returns for 2024, announcements should be made between May-June~
  • MyAnimeList at Anime Expo 2023—For the second year, MAL showed up at one of the biggest anime conventions in the world and hosted a panel where we gave out various prizes to attendees. Hope to see some of you again next year :)
  • Paradox Live Official Club & Profile Badge Event—MAL's collaboration event with Paradox Live the Animation is still ongoing. Join the club for special events, rewards, and more info about this hip-hop mixed media project.
  • Many more Modern About Me Themes—Our feature for helping users create fancy About Me profile designs has seen many new anime tie-up and holiday seasonal designs throughout the year. More are to come in 2024, so keep an eye out if you're looking for a fresh coat of paint for your MAL profile!

...in Community
Get involved with our community (and maybe even get a time-limited profile badge) with one of our annual events! They're a great way to meet new people on MAL and expand your anime/manga knowledge.

• MAL Yearbook 2022—We continued our tradition of creating digital yearbooks, celebrating 2022's greatest anime, characters, and OPs/EDs. Brainstorming for our 2023 edition is currently underway!
  • 2023 Anime Watching & Manga Reading Challenges—Want to increase your anime/manga power levels and diversify your list(s)? The yearly challenges are a great way to do this. Watch for the 2024 challenges opening soon~
  • Ode to MALentine 💌 2nd Edition—We brought back another Valentine's event where participants created original or existing Valentine's Day poetry, matching it to anime & manga images and gifs. Our MALentine's event changes each year, so look forward to our 2024 plans!
  • Fantasy Anime League: All seasons!—Thanks to FAL's continued popularity, our Fantasy Anime League now runs every season! Previously, FAL took a break during Summer and Winter. Now, you can try and predict every season's most popular anime!
  • MAL Challenge Stacks—Badges were given to all members who completed our winter and summer challenge stacks. We were hoping to have another challenge before the end of 2023, but like last year, we became too swamped with other events orz. Keep an eye out for our next challenges, and maybe a re-run...
  • Site Rebranding: MyKittyList—Anime/manga and cats go together like omurice and ketchup. It was time to give the cats free rein and let them take over more than 190 anime and manga entries on MyKittyList! Our early April Fool's prank had us flex our creativity a bit, so check out the full list of edited cover images if you haven't seen the full list yet!
  • Easter Bunny no Tabi: The Beautiful World—Tragedy struck MAL's beloved Easter Bunny! Lost chicks and misplaced eggs had our entire community hunt for clues in order to ensure their safe return. We have a feeling not everything's going to go smoothly in 2024 either, so stay tuned and maybe earn yourself a profile badge or two if you're eagle-eyed enough.
  • MAL Bunkasai 2023—MAL's online festival returned for the second year. Our community hosted various events, such as Anime Music Quiz sessions, VTuber livestreams, karaoke and more. Visitors were able to go on a stamp rally, attending the events and collecting profile badges in the process.
  • Fall Anime 🍂 About Me Contest—After a successful trial in Summer, we started a new seasonal anime profile design contest where members picked one currently airing anime and made a profile design with that theme. Winners received 1- or 3-months of MAL Supporter and all participants got a badge. We may be re-running it for Winter, so keep an eye out~
  • MALoween✟Mansion: Zom 10² [Watashi no Shiawase na Death]—10 years of MALoween! Can you believe it?! Each year more popular than the last! Challenges, quests, and puzzles had our users once again compete for profile badges. Were you able to escape or will we see you still haunting our spooky mansion in October?
  • Secret Santa—Due to the massive growth of Secret Santa over the years, we implemented some new measures to help streamline the process and it seems to have been a success, since we were actually early this year! If you missed it, be sure to sign up in the last week of November 2024.

...in Contributions & Crew
A very big thank you to all our active users who participate in our community, are committed to improving our databases, write reviews and recommendations to help fellow users, and who make up MAL. We are now 15.5 million registered users!

Last but never least, a very big thank you to the ever-growing and dedicated staff. I am constantly grateful for the time and energy they give to our site and community to continue to grow it further. Innumerable database additions, edits, requests, reports, sns posts, and problems are processed each and every day of the year (even on Christmas!). MAL wouldn't be MAL without this amazing group of people.

If you would like to join this team and give back to MAL, are well-versed in the guidelines and requirements of your position of interest, and have the motivation to work independently, please consider checking out our Open Applications thread.

Current Statistics—taken on Jan 4th
  • Anime: 25,960 (↑2,186)
  • Manga: 67,040 (↑4,984)
  • Characters: 170,657 (↑15,499)
  • People: 57,520 (↑7,295)
  • Company: 2,324 (↑180)
  • News: 13,217 (↑888)
  • Forum: 1,177,741 (↑61,954)
  • Reviews: 245,269 222,445 (↑22,824)
  • Recommendations: 297,014 (↑10,548)
  • Stacks: 12,564 (↑6,394)
  • Facebook followers: 752,296 (↑12,412)
  • Twitter followers: 684,109 (↑81,321)
  • Instagram followers: 73,838 (↑29,536)
  • Discord verified members: 26,878 (↑4,823)
  • MAL Rewrite Synopses: 6,111 (↑440)

Happy New Year!
Jan 5, 7:26 PM

May 2023
This year, for the first time, I managed to participate in most of the events, I was happy with the profile badges I got. <3
Happy New Year to everyone!!
Jan 5, 8:33 PM

Nov 2018
How many Ishinashi accounts were created and consequentially banned during 2023? That's the stat I'd like to know.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jan 6, 12:19 AM

Jan 2009
ye im curious how many are alt accounts and inactive accounts too out of 15 million
Jan 6, 12:27 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Happy New Year!

Thanks to the MAL staff for keeping the site running and hosting all of last year's cool events.
Jan 6, 5:41 AM

May 2021
We thank you for the changes and I like most of them but there are still much more important problems such as:

1. The elimination of fraud bots is extremely slow.
  2. There is also an extremely big amount of accounts that have been created to affect the ratings and even they don't affect the rating that much anymore, I am not sure how good your system is when a single user has created 100+ accounts for this reason.
  3. Manga, light novel etc submissions take years to be approved and absolutely nothing has been done to improve the situation. BTW I don't blame the current mods but I blame whoever is responsible to only have 6 people to do this specific amount of work.
  4. The majority of anime, manga etc are extremely poorly tagged and even if the users want to help by submitting the changes you absolutely do nothing (at least in my experience)
  5. Changes to manga and anime etc take forever and sometimes never happen. For example I submitted an official English title and Synopsis in both the official mal forum and directly via the edit button for a doujinshi and it took more than 6 months to get accepted.

Some other things that I find difficult to understand :
We are in 2024 and website still has extremely weird limitations for resolutions in profile, characters, forum pictures, for example : a 1024 x 1024 (if I remember correctly) limitations for a profile picture.... in 2024?
A 100 x 125 resolution limitation for forum picture?

and many others
It's understandable that these are difficult problems but you have to start somewhere.
YubisoftJan 12, 2:07 AM
Jan 6, 5:44 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Yeah, Happy Holidays and congrats on the changes... but when are we gonna be told about all the hidden changes done for whatever reason without an explanation nor log whatsoever. We should be able to learn about those things as well, as users of this site.

Yes, I'm still salty about a couple of them, like Music types being yeeted from the rankings without receiving one of its own (and let's not talk about the Magic tag)

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 6, 6:32 AM

Jan 2021
Dark theme on mobile when?
Roxy

Jan 6, 8:16 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Kineta said:
our Fantasy Anime League now runs every season! Previously, FAL took a break during Summer and Winter. Now, you can try and predict every season's most popular anime!

Now this is the most highlight i'd like to make at this thread. Now i kneel over 🧎

Wish you all a happy new year for 2024 and so on. Keep watching anime and update your list at mal. Stay on healthy as well. That's it xd.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 6, 12:46 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to Yubisoft
We thank you for the changes and I like most of them but there are still much more important problems such as:

1. The elimination of fraud bots is extremely slow.
  2. There is also an extremely big amount of accounts that have been created to affect the ratings and even they don't affect the rating that much anymore, I am not sure how good your system is when a single user has created 100+ accounts for this reason.
  3. Manga, light novel etc submissions take years to be approved and absolutely nothing has been done to improve the situation. BTW I don't blame the current mods but I blame whoever is responsible to only have 6 people to do this specific amount of work.
  4. The majority of anime, manga etc are extremely poorly tagged and even if the users want to help by submitting the changes you absolutely do nothing (at least in my experience)
  5. Changes to manga and anime etc take forever and sometimes never happen. For example I submitted an official English title and Synopsis in both the official mal forum and directly via the edit button for a doujinshi and it took more than 6 months to get accepted.

Some other things that I find difficult to understand :
We are in 2024 and website still has extremely weird limitations for resolutions in profile, characters, forum pictures, for example : a 1024 x 1024 (if I remember correctly) limitations for a profile picture.... in 2024?
A 100 x 125 resolution limitation for forum picture?

and many others
It's understandable that these are difficult problems but you have to start somewhere.
Yubisoft said:
Manga, light novel etc submissions take years to be approved and absolutely nothing has been done to improve the situation. BTW I don't blame the current mods but I blame whoever is responsible to only have 6 people to do this specific amount of work.

I absolutely agree and honestly can't believe the numbers

>Manga: 67,040 (↑4,984)

It feels like the backlog has been around 7000 the entire year
https://sean.fish/mal_unapproved/manga
So how almost 5000 got approved is beyond me. Maybe due to the staff being more "into" some manga rather than others only certain types get approved fast and don't spend much time in the backlog, idk. But this backlog needs to get cleaned up already. And I'm not sure just recruiting more people can do the job. They need to change how they approach subject in the first place.
Jan 6, 1:05 PM

Sep 2017
Happy New Year!
Jan 6, 1:15 PM

May 2021
St0rmblade said:
Yubisoft said:
Manga, light novel etc submissions take years to be approved and absolutely nothing has been done to improve the situation. BTW I don't blame the current mods but I blame whoever is responsible to only have 6 people to do this specific amount of work.

So how almost 5000 got approved is beyond me. Maybe due to the staff being more "into" some manga rather than others only certain types get approved fast and don't spend much time in the backlog, idk. But this backlog needs to get cleaned up already. And I'm not sure just recruiting more people can do the job. They need to change how they approach subject in the first place.

Well since I don't have access to the tools that the mods have when approving things I can't be sure if the way they do it is wrong or not good enough but in my humble opinion no matter which type of work, you have to first increase the manpower to maximize the efficiency and in this case more mods = will most likely reduce the waiting times for the submissions . Also since the mods work for free they don't a specific schedule.
Also as someone who mainly submits doujinshi works and light novels which are not super famous , the waiting times make believe that you maybe right about mods choosing specific personal stuff to approve first.
YubisoftJan 9, 7:16 AM
Jan 7, 5:07 PM

Nov 2021
Nice.
Jan 8, 5:01 AM

Oct 2020
Dark mode finally!! My eyes get dry really quickly on desktop
Jan 8, 6:19 AM

Nov 2018
I just found out one of the newest security features. MAL has changed the spam page to prove that you aren't a robot. Instead of clicking a button, it forces you to complete a captcha task.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jan 8, 6:59 AM
Couch Potato

May 2016
While I participated in 7 events in 2022, in 2023 I participated in 13, almost double wow. I'd say also the organization was better for the events, the badges were way cuter too. In general good job to all the staff, and thank you for your hard work.

But I just gotta say, my most favourite-est update from this year was... The dark theme, I've waited for years for this and now we finally got it!
Jan 8, 10:33 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to St0rmblade
Yubisoft said:

@St0rmblade
If people are getting their submissions approved, it encourages them to submit more, not to mention the expanded guidelines to allow more webtoons which introduces a lot more content. It may be a better metric to see the number of approved submissions between years:
Manga: 62,056 (↑5,217) (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2068385)
which is reasonably similar (and of course not every submission is equal in terms of effort).

I do agree that it would be nice to see the oldest items in the queue approved, but I also understand a desire to prioritize popular/translated work. More manpower can be good, but it can also take up a lot of time to train people and find the best willing individuals for the job. Introducing some paid positions might see the most results, as then you could expect a more streamlined experience for reviewing submission, but I suppose that would also bring about another layer of complexity when money is involved, unless it was handled at the company level like what they do with developers.
Jan 8, 10:47 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Kwanthemaster
@St0rmblade
If people are getting their submissions approved, it encourages them to submit more, not to mention the expanded guidelines to allow more webtoons which introduces a lot more content. It may be a better metric to see the number of approved submissions between years:
Manga: 62,056 (↑5,217) (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2068385)
which is reasonably similar (and of course not every submission is equal in terms of effort).

I do agree that it would be nice to see the oldest items in the queue approved, but I also understand a desire to prioritize popular/translated work. More manpower can be good, but it can also take up a lot of time to train people and find the best willing individuals for the job. Introducing some paid positions might see the most results, as then you could expect a more streamlined experience for reviewing submission, but I suppose that would also bring about another layer of complexity when money is involved, unless it was handled at the company level like what they do with developers.
Kwanthemaster said:

All of these suggestions are nice and all and I had my own suggestions as well, I'm just kinda depressed that you virtually never see the MAL mods or admins actually discussing any of that, it's just all this talk is into the void.

IMO most submissions are more or less fine, there're not that many cases where people submit some crap or do troll submissions, people doing submissions are usually motivated to include credible information, I just don't see why any submissions should be kept in this limbo for years, mods should just approve more stuff faster, if anything needs correction it can be corrected later, entries are editable, the primary reason people submit manga is to keep up it in their lists.
Jan 8, 11:08 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to St0rmblade
Kwanthemaster said:

All of these suggestions are nice and all and I had my own suggestions as well, I'm just kinda depressed that you virtually never see the MAL mods or admins actually discussing any of that, it's just all this talk is into the void.

IMO most submissions are more or less fine, there're not that many cases where people submit some crap or do troll submissions, people doing submissions are usually motivated to include credible information, I just don't see why any submissions should be kept in this limbo for years, mods should just approve more stuff faster, if anything needs correction it can be corrected later, entries are editable, the primary reason people submit manga is to keep up it in their lists.
@St0rmblade
Yeah, that's true. I'm sure if I was an active contributor on the manga side, I would be quite discouraged as well (this is less of an issue on the anime front).

I agree that many of the submissions are probably good (at least that's the case on the anime front, apart from the usual suspects), and actually there was some discussion about having a select set of "superusers" who weren't mods, but their submissions would be automatically approved, which would help with some of the churn. Basically people who just work on their own stuff instead of handling others. Of course that still requires training, infrastructure, ect. - and who knows what the mods feel about that, lol.

Probably the only solution is to have a concerted effort to clean up the backlog, but this introduces the risk of bulk denying stuff which shouldn't be. It's also a hard expectation for volunteers with limited incentive/capacity. I'd rather not introduce any errors by approving too quickly, but I do agree that submissions shouldn't need to be completely filled out in detail before being approved.
KwanthemasterJan 8, 11:12 AM
Jan 9, 1:12 PM

May 2023
Anybody else disappointed?
Jan 9, 4:10 PM
Jan 2020
Happy new year
Jan 11, 9:29 PM
Mar 2015
Happy New Year!
Jan 12, 6:19 AM

Jul 2021
last year was really good MAL wise. lots of fun events and many events i participated for the first time. didn't won fal at all tho ;-; still trying

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 14, 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
Happy New Year! Aye, 2023 was rich in content. Hopefully, 2024 will be similar in this aspect, or even better.

Nice to see the stats of 2023. I'm surprised how many more reviews were written, compared to submitted recommendations. The latter is easier to make, so I thought there would be more recommendations than reviews, or at least that the difference wouldn't be that big in reviews' favor. :P

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

214 by Veredus »»
11 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.