Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 5, 2023 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
Heh, there's some English spoken in this show/episode. But from the opening parts of this episode, there are war elements and an eerie feeling mixed together. That OP song is also kinda wild.

Not going to lie, some of the characters feels off. Maybe we'll find out their motives in later episodes. In the present timeline, Kurou dresses in a rather bizarre way but given his history, I'm not surprised. This anime is bizarre but I like the tone of the show. It also has an old school like animation which is kinda interesting to see.
Oct 5, 2023 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
From the mangaka of 2009's "I Am a Hero", Kengo Hanazawa's modern ninja story is quite the brain kicker. KORI's OP is really good, and creative.

ACTUAL ENGLISH? Well, that takes talent. But it's clear that there's ninja action involved.

Kuro Kumogakure, a fellow Ninja with the meetup of fellow Genin on the school roof, it's unglam especially in the sighting of enemies. But how did it all come to this?

Before Kuro's ninja life, he was a NEET, and a postman career ninja comes to him to give him a job, something fitting the once prestigious Kumogakure clan, his job is to disguise as a student to infiltrate into a school, though acting the part of the mother, his landlady can only do her part of the job feeding off the exploits of others. And for a 17-year-old, Kuro's just as disheveled as he is who looks older than he is, drinking off somebody's beer.

In a war-ravaged world, ninjas operate in secret, and like Kuro, it can be anyone, anywhere.

Quite a unique show where ninjas rule the world. Dark and gritty, just like the manga.
KANLen09Oct 12, 2023 4:40 AM
Oct 5, 2023 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
I find the concept "ninja is everywhere" to be similar to Shinobi no Ittoki, both stories also have large ninja population infiltrating thoughout the whole Japan. (To clarify, yes I know Under Ninja manga exist several years before). Though I find it hard to believe that any human can be function as ninja in modern days without the help of advance technology, but maybe it's the charm of Under Ninja, oldschool ninja in a modern era.
Oct 5, 2023 12:11 PM
Jul 2015
What the actual fuck?

The storytelling of the manga is already layered af as is; often in a good and interesting way, but it still takes quite some effort to follow. There was no need to mix it up further by shuffling bits from the first 10 or so chapters around (only to cut up 20 story puzzle pieces into 100).

Also, may I say that I don't like the animation? And I don't mean the CGIness of it. The quality sucks. While the backgrounds are kind of nice, the characters look crappy and everything in motion sucks ass. Where the manga shows off like crazy - characters/details, basically anything in motion like parcour stuff, fighting, absolutely insane sword play ... (it looks all so frickin good in the manga, animated even (no, really!)) - the bits of it that could be seen in the first episode look just weird, clunky and wrong.

Kind of disappointing ...
Oct 5, 2023 12:18 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
One of the most strangest episode I have seen lol. Visually really weak, but some scenes were funny, let's see where this goes.
Oct 5, 2023 12:35 PM

Nov 2022
Enjoyed this one a lot, the vibe is super unique and humor dry and subtle.
Oct 5, 2023 1:07 PM

Apr 2020
Cut out the horrific opening minute and there you go:

-A unique style
-A silly, but fun, setting
-A DBZ reference
-Beer drinking with would-be-stepmom
-Lot's of gritty, situational comedy

I like :) This seems right up my alley and a good time for everyone who isn't too serious about watching/critiquing Anime
I think they should've ended the first episode with a banger, little fight scene, tho....for some more impact
Oct 5, 2023 1:11 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The first episode almost put me to sleep and the lackluster visuals weren't helping either. It seems interesting on paper, but the concept of ninjas in modern day Japan is not really appealing unless there is some kind of plot twist.
AddaeAkonoOct 5, 2023 1:23 PM
Oct 5, 2023 1:33 PM

Jul 2020
Wow, loved the OP and the atmosphere throughout the episode. The artstyle and humor reminded me of some shows on adult swim from back in the day. I'm seriously impressed, I think it's the best first episode I've seen from this season yet
Oct 5, 2023 1:40 PM

Oct 2012
What an absolute surreal experience this first episode was.
Oct 5, 2023 1:44 PM

Feb 2022
I didn't watch it yet, but can I assume it's the same issue as with My Home Hero?
Oct 5, 2023 1:47 PM

Apr 2020
The OP is very good. I liked the first episode. Tezuka Productions adapted My Home Hero last season, which I liked, so I have some hopes on this anime too.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Oct 5, 2023 2:02 PM

Nov 2014
That first scene with atrocious CGI had me worried, ngl.

Merve2Love said:
-A unique style
-A DBZ reference

I like :) This seems right up my alley and a good time for everyone who isn't too serious about watching/critiquing Anime

Pretty much this. I'm looking forward to future episodes.
Oct 5, 2023 2:13 PM

May 2015
Aside from looking like ass, I kinda liked it. Might be my next guilty pleasure show this season
Oct 5, 2023 2:23 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly really enjoyed this alot, Dont know why the score is so low since only one episode has been released but oh well thats MAL I guess.
Anyways, Let's see where this goes.
The opening and ending are bangers!
Oct 5, 2023 2:27 PM

Apr 2011
It was a great first episode, especially in terms of the dry humor it provides. However, why the hell the score is this low? I don’t really understand how people give ratings in MAL anymore. It wasn’t like this a few years ago.
Oct 5, 2023 2:39 PM

May 2018
This is a hilariously weird parody of everything related to ninjas including manga and foreigners going to Japan and doing some ridiculously fake "ninja certification" courses.
I like its atmosphere of awkwardness.

GensoTV said:
same issue as with My Home Hero?

Nothing in common. My Home Hero tried to be overly dramatic and dark, this thing here is a surrealistic comedy.
alshuOct 5, 2023 2:44 PM
Oct 5, 2023 2:43 PM
Jun 2023
It has some potential but the first episode alone is not enough to spark my interest. Giving this 2 more episodes otherwise this might be a drop
Oct 5, 2023 2:45 PM

Apr 2009
Weird and interesting. That CGI opening was awful. Gonna watch
Oct 5, 2023 2:45 PM
Apr 2021
it was a weird/random first ep for me. couldnt really catch any sort of vibe it was putting out... but i will persist to ep 2 because i wanna see some ninjas throw fucking hands.

seriously though random ep to start off.
Oct 5, 2023 2:46 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to Raiseii
It was a great first episode, especially in terms of the dry humor it provides. However, why the hell the score is this low? I don’t really understand how people give ratings in MAL anymore. It wasn’t like this a few years ago.
@Raiseii im sure most people turned it of the moment they saw the CGI soldiers talking broken engrishu and didn't get past that
Oct 5, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2022
alshu said:
This is a hilariously weird parody of everything related to ninjas including manga and foreigners going to Japan and doing some ridiculously fake "ninja certification" courses.
I like its atmosphere of awkwardness.

GensoTV said:
same issue as with My Home Hero?

Nothing in common. My Home Hero tried to be overly dramatic and dark, this thing here is a surrealistic comedy.

That's not what I meant. My Home Hero had a good Story, but I'm talking about the Animations and such. It creeped me out in the Spring Season.
Oct 5, 2023 2:49 PM

Nov 2016
That Frieza analogy is unironically how I would judge too.

Seems like a good season for bizarre anime lover.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 5, 2023 2:56 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good episode

i was not sure with the animation at the begining but it's ok

i want to see the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 5, 2023 3:07 PM

May 2018
GensoTV said:
My Home Hero had a good Story

Not really, but this is only my opinion.

GensoTV said:
I'm talking about the Animations and such.

Both shows look very differently.
My Home Hero is almost decent and Under Ninja is quite ugly...but on purpose, it's all part of the joke.
Oct 5, 2023 3:11 PM

Apr 2011
VirtueHunter said:
@Raiseii im sure most people turned it of the moment they saw the CGI soldiers talking broken engrishu and didn't get past that

Giving a show low score after not watching more than 2 minutes is dumb af.
Oct 5, 2023 3:14 PM
Sep 2023
the WORST english voice acting ive ever seen (or heard).... maybe like a $3 budget at best.. the hole cast just seems to hate the script ... theres no feeling behind any of it...ill keep trying to give this show a try but.. first episode started off ... well leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the episode
Oct 5, 2023 3:55 PM

Mar 2010
Weird first episode yet intriguing.
Beginning was rather bad. Engrish and 3d graphics, lol.
The game / group thing makes no sense, but i did skip some parts
Midway i was like maybe i should quit this but
by the end it got me curious if that guy really is a 17-year old or not, lol.
Also ninjas hidden within the society seems interesting
Animation by the end was pretty okay imo.

It was badly directed perhaps, but i might still watch next episode
LylaazOct 5, 2023 3:58 PM
Oct 5, 2023 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
After that opening scene I thought the whole anime was going to look like that, glad I was wrong. I have nothing against CGI and have no issues watching full-CGI anime (assuming it isn't completely unbearable), but that just caught me off guard.

This was quite an interesting first episode. Obviously only being a single episode in, idk what to make of this so far. I'll stick it out and see where it ends up going.

Raiseii said:
Giving a show low score after not watching more than 2 minutes is dumb af.

You're right, that IS dumb af but would honestly be quite on brand for MAL lmao.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 5, 2023 4:20 PM
Oct 2014
I've been looking forward to this literally because of the visual from MAL not even the name idk what it was about that visual but I'll tell u I thought he was like 30s I was not expecting him to be 17 but I mean hey i was drinking at that age , do I promote underage drinking no. but I was only drinking wine coolers and at home with my mothers permission and hell she bought them for me
PastalNightMareOct 5, 2023 6:13 PM
Oct 5, 2023 5:11 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
odd first episode, animation was pretty weak but I will keep watching.
it sounds interesting.
Oct 5, 2023 5:33 PM

Mar 2013
It's crazy that something like this got permission to be animated in this day and age.
Oct 5, 2023 7:13 PM

Mar 2008
My sides hurt laughing at the scene with the foreign guy.
Oct 5, 2023 7:37 PM

Nov 2010
  • This show is one of the three titles I expect most in this season. (Frieren < UN < Kusuriya)
  • "Gathering on the rooftop where everyone can see us... Are you stupid? Don't mix up the real with the world of weekly magazine Jump", while the camera zoom out to show the large letters of Koudan high-school on the rooftop. (This series is serialized on weekly magazine Young Magazine published from Kodansha Ltd. that is the rival of Jump/Shueisha Inc. This is the most amusing scene in this episode.
  • The order of events are totally rearranged from the comics. It's welcome for me.
kuroneko99Oct 5, 2023 7:41 PM
Oct 5, 2023 7:43 PM

Apr 2022
i've been seeing the manga art around for a while but i decided not to read it until after the anime, but now i think i'm gonna start right after this episode because that looked way better and i'm quite interested. i like the art style here but the animation is not very good, the cg the beginning just threw me off lmao. i like the step-mom roleplay chick though and i also like how it changes the aspect ratio to feel like a movie. an alright start if we put visuals aside, think i'm gonna like it and i have some faith in it but even more in the manga.

i also realized this is the same studio that's gonna be animating the fable, oh god noooooooooooo!!
Oct 5, 2023 8:59 PM
Feb 2021
kinda good. Though i dont know why i felt cringe and find some scene were too edgy.
Oct 5, 2023 9:13 PM

Apr 2009
Looks promising, pretty unique, fire OP, good humor. CGI might be excusable.
Oct 5, 2023 9:28 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
That episode felt weird as hell. I'm not even sure why it felt so weird. Could have been the budget Ps3 CG soldiers at the beginning, the fart dart can shot, the ninja wall crawl over pooping woman, or possibly it was the opposing ganguro-themed "Rear-Enders" ninja group. Not sure what this show is about yet, but I will give it at least one or two more episodes out of pure curiosity.
Oct 5, 2023 10:09 PM

Sep 2018
Such a bland aesthetic again, from Tezuka Productions, really not the biggest fan. At least it's a little quirky.
Oct 5, 2023 11:17 PM

Mar 2019
NINJAS!!!! HOLY FUCK!! EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH NINJAS!

This anime looks like it's going to be shit, but it has NINJAS!! šŸ„·
Oct 5, 2023 11:20 PM

Mar 2022
Well, I don't know what the hell was that CGI in the beginning. Rest of the show felt like... ehh, kinda like My Home Hero style. Anime didn't sell me on the story at all. If anything, made it completely uninteresting. Probably one of the worst first episodes I've seen. Will be skipping this one.
Oct 6, 2023 12:40 AM
Oct 2019
Amazing humor, just perfectly off beat weird type. Love it so far. ANyone rating under 6 is braindead
Oct 6, 2023 12:43 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to phantomfandom
I find the concept "ninja is everywhere" to be similar to Shinobi no Ittoki, both stories also have large ninja population infiltrating thoughout the whole Japan. (To clarify, yes I know Under Ninja manga exist several years before). Though I find it hard to believe that any human can be function as ninja in modern days without the help of advance technology, but maybe it's the charm of Under Ninja, oldschool ninja in a modern era.
@phantomfandom bruh... how do you compare Shinobi no Ittoki, a run of the mill shonen ninja story in modern times to Under Ninja, a comedic/dark seinen???

They are in no way alike. Like wtf lmao
Oct 6, 2023 1:41 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Dickegrobe
What the actual fuck?

The storytelling of the manga is already layered af as is; often in a good and interesting way, but it still takes quite some effort to follow. There was no need to mix it up further by shuffling bits from the first 10 or so chapters around (only to cut up 20 story puzzle pieces into 100).

Also, may I say that I don't like the animation? And I don't mean the CGIness of it. The quality sucks. While the backgrounds are kind of nice, the characters look crappy and everything in motion sucks ass. Where the manga shows off like crazy - characters/details, basically anything in motion like parcour stuff, fighting, absolutely insane sword play ... (it looks all so frickin good in the manga, animated even (no, really!)) - the bits of it that could be seen in the first episode look just weird, clunky and wrong.

Kind of disappointing ...
@Dickegrobe Exactly..They tried to be edgy with art and colors.I think the word u wanted to say but couldnt find is COLORS.The coloring and shading used in this anime is very weird and off putting
Oct 6, 2023 2:21 AM

Aug 2013
Was interested in this show due to the cover, only to be disappointed by the trailer.

However, the actual anime is way better than the trailer. Why would they put bad CGI in the trailer, when the show has well animated fighting scenes and such...?

So far the show is looking really good. The only downside so far is the all over the place story telling which seems to be a bit like Durarara. Hopefully that wont be too bad though.
Oct 6, 2023 3:24 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to Merve2Love
Cut out the horrific opening minute and there you go:

-A unique style
-A DBZ reference

I think they should've ended the first episode with a banger, little fight scene, tho....for some more impact
@Merve2Love Agree wholeheartedly with your points. This show seems to be an easygoing good laugh show but I can see it being downvoted to oblivion here on MAL because it doesn't really fit in with the popular taste of the day.

As a side note, I was surprised by seeing an appearance by none other than General of the Armies Douglas McArthur. Very, very few manga/anime dare dive into that particular period of Japanese history or even refer to it in a short sketch. Kudos to the author.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2023 3:25 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to gamibo
@Dickegrobe Exactly..They tried to be edgy with art and colors.I think the word u wanted to say but couldnt find is COLORS.The coloring and shading used in this anime is very weird and off putting
@gamibo Yea, it seems to me they kinda wanted to one up what the manga already is very good at ... and made it worse.

About the looks, I don't think it's just the colours (but it is one part of it).

Stuff like faces, hands, feet, expressions ... details of human anatomy - the manga is VERY detailed and pleasantly realistic looking about these, whereas in the anime it looks like undefined blotches of skin-coloured I-don't-know-what. Not sure how it'll be when it comes to all the intricate tech gizmos (again, much detail in the manga).

As for animation in the more literal sense, strange as it sounds, the manga actually often conveys much better when and how things move than the anime. A good example might be the parcours stuff (more to come), like, when the boss gyaru went down from the roof to that overpass thing, it looked almost like glitchy video game animation compared to what the manga usually achieves within 1 to 3 stills (don't quote me on that scene in particular, but you get the general idea).

Honestly, I'm not big on fighting and pissing contests in general, but with UN I was really really looking forward to the action in the anime. To do the manga justice, the anime would have deserved fluid, well timed and well choreographed animation like, say, you'll find in Hinamatsuri (or some of the scenes in Nichijou) - now I'll acknowledge that's some high standards there, but the UN anime isn't just "not quite there", it's more towards the opposite end of the scale.
Oct 6, 2023 3:38 AM
May 2022
yeah this is insanity the anime. so confused
Oct 6, 2023 3:48 AM

Jun 2021
The mc looks way older than his age. Well the show itself was kinda weird but surprisingly enjoyable and amusing to watch. Interested to see more because of ninja.
Oct 6, 2023 4:16 AM

Jan 2018
Many of people doesn't understand the uniqueness, I personally like it so much. Weird and interesting show, laughed a lot while watching the first episode lol, will watch it till the end!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2023

117 by Shiroyasha123 »»
May 6, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2023

20 by Tony2Phones »»
Apr 23, 10:25 AM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2023

29 by Tony2Phones »»
Apr 14, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2023

57 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 21, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

21 by princessoftrash »»
Mar 17, 1:24 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.