Forum Settings
Forums

[Update June 1] Forum Conversation View: Beta Testing

New
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 31, 2023 11:44 AM

Jun 2011
Kineta said:
By collapsing all of the replies to one post, it becomes easier to interact with the posts you want to (while ignoring the ones you don't)

I also find this funny since the ignore feature on the overall forum has always been insufficient and still isn't fixed. You can still only ignore 30 users and 300 threads but they are bragging about being able to ignore replies you don't want to see.
May 31, 2023 11:46 AM

Jun 2011
hacker09 said:
how do I even go back to classic mode?

You are in "classic" mode. It's now broken mode designed by people who don't use forums.
May 31, 2023 11:49 AM

Feb 2010
@hacker09 If you have MAL supporter there are little icons under your user avatar/forum settings/search forum text. These switch between the conversation (beta testing) and forum mode (classic).

I think you actually are in Classic Mode. But it's been changed to a Broken Classic Mode, hence classic quotes seem to be 100% gone* AND replaced with Reply.

* Highlighting text and using quote reply does not trigger the traditional quote which retains the BBcode.
Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 11:55 AM
May 31, 2023 11:52 AM

Dec 2018
I really think this update also is causing watched threads to stay unread after reading them. It's been happening alot ever since last night when the change happened.

Anyways can we scrap this idea and try something similar to what xenforo forums have? It's way easier to keep track of quotes and replies and it has the ability to quote multiple posts as well.

May 31, 2023 12:07 PM

Jan 2015
Why was the page select moved to below the first post? This just seems really inconvenient for forums with a lot of posts as you now have to scroll down. But then after the first page it goes back to the top (which is much better) Why not just keep the page select at the top to make navigation easier? Or is there a coding reason it had to be moved down on the first page?
acestrawbsMay 31, 2023 12:15 PM

May 31, 2023 12:23 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
@Shishio-kun I'm not sure I saw it on your video, but what If I tag you without using the reply button? (like this one)

Does it look like a regular post or it went nested to your last reply?

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 12:30 PM

Jun 2017
As many people have mentioned, if the user can't see the text that someone is replying to, classic mode becomes a complete mess. Keeping up with all new posts in a forum thread will be a big hassle now regardless of which mode you are using. I don't think this is the direction the forums should go.

EDIT: Conversation view needs a "most recently replied to" sorting function that sorts posts by how new they are based on the original time of the post and, if the post has a reply, the time of the most recent reply. Without this sorting function, these changes are a near complete downgrade for everyone who likes to keep up with forum threads.

EDIT 2: I do appreciate this new beta test system though. It is better than forcing the change on everyone without warning.
SleepteinerMay 31, 2023 1:21 PM
May 31, 2023 12:48 PM

Mar 2008
@acestrawbs
page select was moved just as a bug from halfassing the code. Once you reach bottom of page you also dont have a way to reply to the thread itself you have to scroll all the way to the top again at first page.

-DxP- said:
I also find that by changing the quote function in replies, it has become more difficult to follow the course of a conversation (in normal view). But please keep in mind that this is a beta version.

Comes off more like an alpha version. Beta versions at least have better thought put into the design just buggy, not entirely designed wrong with things changed that dont need changed to make it do something. It never should have been released like this at all.

StephWeeb said:
I think this is a fine change. Giving people the option to choose between the 2 never hurts, there are always people who have different taste, both have their pro's and con's. I agree with my fellow minions that the new view makes it a bit easier to follow everything. Thanks for this Kineta and I hope the beta works out fine

~Minion 3

Switch back to the classic view and look at the mess that has been made. This was designed entirely wrong.

thinkpad said:
hardly anyone quotes

You're not quote worthy.

mazuchi said:
To give some people who don't understand an idea what removing the ability to quote the bbcode does. This:

B said:
A said:

Post 3

Post 4

is gone. This is what we get now:

B said:
B said:
A said:
B said:
A said:
Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Yeah, just use the classic mode if you prefer.

Quoting you it stripped the BBcode and it looks like this for me.

SheyCroix said:
I don't want to use the new version, so why not just keep Classic the way you had it?

The devs are very amateurish in their abilities and foresight.

May 31, 2023 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
@SheyCroix
I wasnt sure what it does either. Ive been trying to break the functionality of conversation view by pushing it's limits exposing it's flaws.
May 31, 2023 12:51 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
traed said:
I wasnt sure what it does either.

what thing? Sorry but no idea to what you are referring to there ^^;

also yes to
traed said:
The devs are very amateurish in their abilities and foresight.

nothing new, tho

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 12:52 PM

Feb 2010
SheyCroix said:
@Shishio-kun I'm not sure I saw it on your video, but what If I tag you without using the reply button? (like this one)

Does it look like a regular post or it went nested to your last reply?

It becomes its own post.

BUT THIS IS THE BEST PART!!! 😃

When there's many replies, the entire thread becomes a convoluted mess to sort through! Tons of branched off convos, with the bonus of annoying loading. No way to easily discern and organize posts like with pages beforehand. If you go with "newest setting", you can see the latest reply in reverse chronological order below the OP.

The "oldest setting"... hahaha!

Downgrading our organized discussion boards and deleting the quote feature for this?! 😭
Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 1:06 PM
May 31, 2023 12:53 PM

Jan 2015
Some more feedback from me, would it be possible to add the quote feature back, from testing I have done, highlighting and quoting just copies text not any of the bbcoding which can be quite crucial. Could the quote button be put back next to the reply button as then it will not affect the new feature you have implimented with replying, but the usefulness of quoting will be restored. The highlighting and quoting seems flawed without being able to copy bbcode, so for me if a quote tool needs to be removed I would remove that one.

I know this is very early on into the beta test but a reply with whether any of the recommendations are possible would be greatly appreciated.

May 31, 2023 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
I don't like this change. I hate branching replies and much prefer reading in a linear chronological timeline. And why make quoting posts such a hassle when it was totally fine and convenient with a simple button press that keeps the original post instead of removing the original formatting? 
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
May 31, 2023 1:03 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Shishio-kun said:
"It looks so much cleaner guys!!"

I laughed more than I prob should have lol

Thanks for the share!

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 1:14 PM

Feb 2010
@SheyCroix

I aim to please! 😂

Sorry to say but I can't help but think of this update as "Wall of Text Mode" actually seeing it in practice! 🤣

I also just realized since the real quote feature is gone we can't quote a post to see the BBcode and hidden stuff inside it anymore. Super useful for many users! 😭

YET. ANOTHER. DOWNGRADE.

May 31, 2023 1:22 PM

Feb 2023
I'm not a fan of the new conversation view. Why "fix" something that's not broken?

Also, I just realized I can't directly quote other users or view the BBCodes inside their posts anymore
  even on classic mode! This sucks...

Please change the forum back to how it was before.
StyxParadiseMay 31, 2023 10:30 PM
May 31, 2023 1:24 PM

Jun 2017
actually useful
May 31, 2023 1:44 PM

Mar 2008
SheyCroix said:
what thing? Sorry but no idea to what you are referring to there ^^;

I dont remember what post I replied to there
May 31, 2023 1:51 PM

Mar 2008
@StyxParadise
Broker than broke

@Shishio-kun
What do my replies look like? I started messing with the feature by using different combinations of reply and quote reply mixed up to see how much a mess it makes the branches. I hid posts all over. Try and see if you can find them. It will take you a long time. Good luck..

Shishio-kun said:
I also just realized since the real quote feature is gone we can't quote a post to see the BBcode and hidden stuff inside it anymore. Super useful for many users! 😭

Because MAL hosts images for resizing it means i cant grab the URL of images anymore to view full size.
traedMay 31, 2023 1:55 PM
May 31, 2023 1:55 PM

Mar 2008
@Meroem @Shishio-kun
1 post and hasn't even tried it ROFL
May 31, 2023 1:55 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Shishio-kun said:
YET. ANOTHER. DOWNGRADE.

dang and I just realized I can't really "borrow" images neither, since it gives the crappy MAL hosting link
(ps share that image link lol I wanna share it on discord)

traed said:
1 post and hasn't even tried it ROFL

was just about to say that!! 🤣🤣🤣

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 1:56 PM

Jul 2019
why remove signatures from forums if it's literally the only place where you can use them?

Shishio-kun said:

this is so wrong
May 31, 2023 2:00 PM

Mar 2008
Shishio-kun said:
Roko's basilisk fishing for haters yet again.
What does this do bringing in a quote from another thread?
May 31, 2023 2:07 PM

Jun 2017
@traed well, i didn't say it would be useful to me haha
May 31, 2023 2:08 PM

Jul 2009
@traed ok
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
May 31, 2023 2:11 PM

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun
Oh ok, I was about to ask you do to it, thanks!

Does not look that bad, but it will probably suck to find something specific on a topic with a bunch of posts, but to solve that it is possible to go back to classic mode and see the amount of pages and go to the desired page so it is probably fine with me

I personally only use forums for the anime entries, and they usually don't have more than 50 posts on each topic, so I am guessing I will like this new feature.
I just don't like much that signatures are totally hidden, although it looks much better without them.

Can you make another video showing where they appear pls?
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

May 31, 2023 2:13 PM

Feb 2010
@traed starts a new reply/convo

https://imgur.com/YwhyM9T.jpg
May 31, 2023 2:16 PM

Feb 2010
@SheyCroix
https://imgur.com/gdh8ZJU.gif

np :D

And it's so hard to follow a thread in convo mode since you aren't seeing ALL the latest replies normally, you're seeing the latest NEW replies to only the OP 😬

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!?
Space Brother

Mar 2015
I'll just add my small voice to say that quote-replying should absolutely preserve BBCode. It would be completely absurd to remove that feature. In fact, add the Quote button back alongside the Reply button. What if someone has a spoiler tag that I want to include in my quote? You sure can't do it by highlighting it.

Also, why move the New Reply button to the bottom of the first post if you're just gonna leave it at the top of all the other pages? It's inconsistent and confusing for it to be in a different place on the first page.

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun
I bet I can make a script to quote and capture the bbcode as well.
my endless mal script mimics the quote function, so if they are still using the same url I think I can do it

May 31, 2023 2:20 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
@hacker09 remember to poke me if you get that working pls

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 2:20 PM

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun

Yeah it still works

here you go

async function BBCodes() //Creates a function to get the BBCodes
            { //Starts the function
              const response = await fetch('https://myanimelist.net/includes/quotetext.php', {
                "headers": {
                  "content-type": "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
                },
                "body": "msgid=" + '69302973' + "&csrf_token=" + document.head.querySelector("[name='csrf_token']").content + "",
                "method": "POST"
              }); //Finishes the fetch
              const html = await response.text(); //Gets the fetch response
              var newDocument = new DOMParser().parseFromString(html, "text/html");
              var BBCodes = newDocument.documentElement.textContent;
              console.log(BBCodes);
            } //Finishes the async BBCodes function
            BBCodes(); //Starts the BBCodes function

May 31, 2023 2:21 PM

Feb 2010
hacker09 said:
Can you make another video showing where they appear pls?

Where what appears?

Without the quote feature I don't know what we're referring to anymore lol.

Dec 2019
@SheyCroix

Yeah it is working, it is just not released yet

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun where the signature appears

May 31, 2023 2:22 PM

Dec 2019
@Shishio-kun
I am talking about being impossible to steal bbcodes on posts.

I have just bypassed it now, as I did years ago too....

May 31, 2023 2:23 PM

Feb 2010
traed said:

@Shishio-kun
What do my replies look like? I started messing with the feature by using different combinations of reply and quote reply mixed up to see how much a mess it makes the branches. I hid posts all over. Try and see if you can find them. It will take you a long time. Good luck..

Your posts are all over the place and rarely in their own new reply lol.

Welcome to the future!
https://imgur.com/DVJD3yl.jpg

https://imgur.com/El4MsDp.jpg
Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 2:28 PM
May 31, 2023 2:31 PM

Feb 2010
@hacker09
Nice!
May 31, 2023 2:33 PM

Feb 2020
Normal quoting still works in the app lol. Now if only we could properly access the forum 2.5 years after release.

Feb 2010
dierubikdie said:
I'll just add my small voice to say that quote-replying should absolutely preserve BBCode. It would be completely absurd to remove that feature. In fact, add the Quote button back alongside the Reply button. What if someone has a spoiler tag that I want to include in my quote? You sure can't do it by highlighting it.

Also, why move the New Reply button to the bottom of the first post if you're just gonna leave it at the top of all the other pages? It's inconsistent and confusing for it to be in a different place on the first page.

Definitely this.

Dec 2019

and where does my signature appear?

May 31, 2023 2:40 PM

Feb 2010
@hacker09

hacker09 said:

and where does my signature appear?

Ah I understand what you are asking now- well, now I am not seeing any signatures in convo mode!! I dont think it was like this last night. It's already changed/broken maybe?

https://youtu.be/AenIOjhxolc

It used to be pointing to a username revealed the signature. In not even 24 hours is the signature feature already broken in "Modern"? I guess thats why we call it a beta test lol.
Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 2:54 PM
May 31, 2023 2:42 PM

Feb 2023
Shishio-kun said:
Welcome to the future!

Well, this certainly looks weird as hell. I can't believe they actually want to make it a permanent thing.
May 31, 2023 2:52 PM

Feb 2010
Shishio-kun said:

Welcome to the future!

StyxParadise said:
Well, this certainly looks weird as hell. I can't believe they actually want to make it a permanent thing.

@_cjessop19_ I have to edit your video for this 😭
May 31, 2023 2:55 PM

Jul 2017
Not being able to tell what posts people are actually replying to makes the classic mode unusable. People that reply to all the different threads in conversation view have a dozen consecutive posts in classic view, as has been demonstrated here, which makes them look like madmen.

Very poor update that shouldn't have even made it to beta, and hopefully never makes it any further.
May 31, 2023 3:00 PM

May 2014
Ew please no. 
May 31, 2023 3:04 PM

Feb 2010
@Maenads
Maenads said:
which makes them look like madmen.

hahaha my sides

May 31, 2023 3:18 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Another thing I noticed.
I tend to click on the mal forum post number to bring that post to the top of the page.
before, it used to do just that... now it needs to reload the page for it to work

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 5:00 PM

Mar 2008
@Shishio-kun
Shishio-kun said:

Welcome to the future!

Looks like I was right that you can reply to the wrong person while replying to another for ultimate chaos and replying to multiple people doesnt wind up in more than just the one place so there is no continuous read for the conversation defeating the entire purpose. And holy shit I cant even tell the post order. Some of my posts replying to other users are above the ones that came before so it's completely unreadable.

Just found out i cant quote the links you posted. MAL wants links to be unusable.
May 31, 2023 5:32 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@hacker09
hacker09 said:
where the signature appears
I think it's supposed to be in the box that appears when you hover over a username, but it doesn't show for me so either it's bugged or I dunno.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
2 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
10 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.