Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2022 10:52 AM

Nov 2011
The jealousy and anger is real. Holy shit, that classroom drama exploded again. Also, it looks like Shinobu falls in love at first sight.

Mendou made a hell of an impression in class. Not going to lie, the comedy is still quite colorful but I find it entertaining with mainly the character chemistry between the cast. Lum is still hilarious.

Oct 27, 2022 10:56 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 27, 2022 1:04 PM

Sep 2013
ばりばりばりばりばりばり
Oct 27, 2022 1:14 PM

Jan 2018
Trouble Rains Down! It's the debut of Mendou!

Ngl, I didn't expect him to appear so soon. I thought they'd at least introduce Rei first but guess not. Since the next episode will probably adapt 2 Kurama chapters at once, I guess it was necessary for Mendou to be introduced sooner. Mamoru Miyano is great at voicing Mendou. Definitely looking forward to seeing him more.

This episode made me laugh the most out of the 3 that released so far, and it barely featured Lum. It's probably because it's been a long time since I first watched Mendou's debut story in the original anime. And I didn't rewatch it once since I watched it for the first time.
There were some small cuts and changes that I could still notice. But overall I think this episode had better pacing than the last episode.

It's interesting that the next episode doesn't have A or B segments. So it means not every episode will use it. I'm pretty sure the next episode will be a combination of multiple chapters though. But some episodes could really use the non-segmented length to be truly effective.
Can't wait to see what they do.
0451Oct 27, 2022 1:33 PM
Oct 27, 2022 1:19 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wow so their family home was actually a mobile one. Their mornings are always so lively especially given Shinobu's morning routine. The mendo family really has some serious cash. Given his manifesto I wonder does he intend to start a career in public safety or as a would be dictator. But the election is literally a battle spilt on gender grounds. Nice homage to Naruto though. The cave visit sure was fun given the unique goals that each of them had. The plans sure backfired spectacularly. But its interesting to see all Mendo needs to overcome his fears are girls. Overall an entertaining ep as ever that only got better via Mendo's inclusion into the narrative.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2022 1:31 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was spectacular LMAO
Oct 27, 2022 1:43 PM
May 2021
Shingster said:
Wow so their family home was actually a mobile one. Their mornings are always so lively especially given Shinobu's morning routine. The mendo family really has some serious cash. Given his manifesto I wonder does he intend to start a career in public safety or as a would be dictator. But the election is literally a battle spilt on gender grounds. Nice homage to Naruto though. The cave visit sure was fun given the unique goals that each of them had. The plans sure backfired spectacularly. But its interesting to see all Mendo needs to overcome his fears are girls. Overall an entertaining ep as ever that only got better via Mendo's inclusion into the narrative.

Where did you watch it at
Oct 27, 2022 1:48 PM

Dec 2020
Lol mendou was so random in the cave how the heck is his pride so crazy.
Shinobu falls in love with him and lum just want to be by her darling. i love it.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Oct 27, 2022 1:59 PM

Jun 2019
AH! FINALLY! Mendou-San is here to steal everyone's girl, and of course Ataru is not having it lol, Mendou yelling AHH IT'S DARK IT'S TOO SCARY will always be one of my favorite parts of the series.
I think this episode finally made me realize what they were going for with the aesthetic of this remake, it still has that retro space feel but at the same time it's cutesy enough to represent that cutesy romance feel. (Like how anime would use bubbles to represent characters amazement).
Overall, I like Mendou. Ataru is going to have to step up his game if he wants to keep Shinobu around!
But of course, Lum-Chan isn't going to have that lol.
Oct 27, 2022 2:03 PM
Jun 2013
Aaaah, I liked this one way more than the previous one.

I guess it's because this one was more accurate to the original episode (probably because there wasn't much "90's humor" to adapt and they just keep it)

And when the UFO appears, I was like "Yes, this is UY, this f*ckin randomness, I've missed it" (I didn't remember tengu girl was in an ufo in this cave tho)

Feeling more comfy with this remake

(Still there was WAY MORE randomness in the OG episode, but by a lot, it's heckin gold)

Oct 27, 2022 2:04 PM

Feb 2022
Lum looks great with normal clothes - not that she doesn't anyway
Oct 27, 2022 2:05 PM
Jul 2015
Hilarious, just plain hilarious. And the voice acting was really fabulous, like the original cast from the 80s.
Oct 27, 2022 2:31 PM

Oct 2017
Things certainly got more entertaining with Mendou around. The love triangle is kind of annoying but funny. Though I still don't see how anyone can like Shinobu. She's a background character through and through. Ataru and Mendou mixing each other for the girl they were aiming for was hilarious. Good to see Lum in casual clothes, she looked beautiful.
Oct 27, 2022 2:40 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Mendou has finally appeared as he makes a grand entrance to school. Mendou is extremely prideful and very charming with the ladies and that was more than enough to make Shinobu fall head over heals for him. At the same time, Mendou has fallen for Lum, so we kind have a love square situation between Ataru, Shinobu, Lum, and Mendou. I love the Naruto reference in the first segment. Ataru and Mendou tried to score some brownie points Lum and Shinobu by taking them into a dark cave and split them up, but it always backfired and there was a random spaceship in the cave.

Another funny episode.
Oct 27, 2022 2:56 PM

Aug 2017
This student sums up the episode pretty nicely.

This is the most goofiest class yet. Mendo adds a lot of spice to the cast by being the pretty and popular boy for the girls.
Hopefully Shinobu can get some of that stud.

Also, it's nice to see Lum wear normal clothes for once. She looks great.

Oct 27, 2022 3:17 PM

Nov 2016
I miss Ten-chan tbh

Mendou based tho

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2022 3:21 PM
Aug 2021
Funniest episode so far
Oct 27, 2022 3:28 PM
Feb 2021
The best joke for me came right at the beginning: Mendo tossing his grandfather aside after one of his bodyguards informed him they arrived at school. It's this random silly slapstick & sometimes mean humor I wish the new show would stick more to, like the og show did.
Oct 27, 2022 3:31 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I thought that this very rich guy will be annoying but in the end he's goofy and fun, the cave situation was hilarious, that rocket though wtf
Oct 27, 2022 3:31 PM
Sep 2014
so far, not having seen the original cuz it aired 14 years before i was born, this anime is effin brilliant! Let's hope it will get a 200ep run like the original did! ^__^
Oct 27, 2022 3:49 PM
Oct 2022
They already stated that there will be 46 episodes. Some sort of ''best of'' (aka... UY All Stars https://uy-allstars.com lol)

Oleogm said:
(I didn't remember tengu girl was in an ufo in this cave tho)

AddaeAkono said:
and there was a random spaceship in the cave.

It's a new, yes. This isn't how it went in the manga (nor in the OG anime). Here the studio skipped the final part of the chapter, where the gang finds a futuristic section of the cave (a cryogenic capsule with a random frozen alien inside), and instead connected the first "Kurama arc" to it. I think it works better this way afterall, just so they can introduce Kurama with an explanation (we never knew where she came from, in the manga and the OG anime =) !)
HelstarOct 28, 2022 5:46 AM
Oct 27, 2022 4:26 PM

Dec 2016
I'm liking a lot more this new Shinobu now that we see more of her dere side and she's almost forgotten Ataru . Same with Lum, she definitiely is more pleasant on the eyes when she's not playing Pikachu with Ataru.

As someone that despises most of Mamoru Miyano's roles, I really dig his more calm characters like Mendou.
Oct 27, 2022 4:26 PM

Dec 2021

👏The👏secondbest👏character👏has👏arrived!!!👏

So far, this anime has surprised me, it's exactly as funny as the original (For better or for worse, if you hated this, then you also know how you feel about the original), and it's like I'm watching the anime that made me love anime for the first time. 10/10 episode, easily.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Oct 27, 2022 4:40 PM

Dec 2016
Mendo is putting up a brave face even though he's crying so much from inside while holding back his fears. Worse, he's fighting two fears in one at the same time. Hang in there! >_<;
As always, Mamoru nails every voice. He never fails to surprise me ^w^

The episode was ok. Also, Lum looks great with clothes! She can wear more often :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 27, 2022 5:45 PM
Mar 2020
I mean it kinda feeds into the whole loud equals funny type of comedy but it has its moments. And I still love the opening and ending
Oct 27, 2022 6:04 PM

Jan 2017
Ashhk said:
I thought that this very rich guy will be annoying but in the end he's goofy and fun, the cave situation was hilarious, that rocket though wtf

That's what happens when you cast Mamoru Miyano, he has the power to make potentially annoying characters extremely fun, just like he did with Okabe Rintaro
*laughs in Dimple*
Oct 27, 2022 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
I kinda hate this was supposed to be faithful to manga when it isn’t
Oct 27, 2022 6:16 PM

May 2015
Mendo really adds to the dynamic by making it a love rectangle. Although, I have to wonder how he and his clan didn't know about lum and hear about the alien invasion??? Must be a really secluded rich type. All in all the episode was pretty funny. Excited to meet the new character teased!
Oct 27, 2022 6:44 PM
Aug 2022
Did1268 said:

You mean skipping chapters and stuff like the space taxi?

I'm a bit sad too but they're doing a great job so far.

A lot of chapters had very weak punchlines by today's standards. As an example, I'm kinda glad they ended the episode with Kurama's spaceship instead of them not being able to get out of the cave because they ate too much...
Oct 27, 2022 6:58 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Nice to see Mendou in the new show, he looks nice in this art style and his VA is great too, definitely enjoyed the recreation of his introduction, I remember the no eating desks quote lol.

It was also nice to see the cave bit in this, that’s another one of my favorites from the original and it was great here even with the differences in how it ends, Lum looked amazing in that casual getup, and the bit where Ataru and Mendou end up taking each other down a path still gets me lol. And heck yes, one of my favorite girls is gonna appear next episode!
TheColonel76Oct 27, 2022 7:03 PM
Oct 27, 2022 7:06 PM
Nov 2021
First episode where Lum hasn't physically abused Ataru. Great episode.
Oct 27, 2022 7:17 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
The love square is here.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 27, 2022 7:29 PM
Mar 2015
It was funny seeing our boi troll Mendo and his fear of the dark
Oct 27, 2022 8:13 PM

Apr 2022
each episode is better than the last. loved the naruto reference lmao clone jutsu and substitution jutsu
Oct 27, 2022 8:41 PM

Jan 2018
Lum Lo
Knighthammer619 said:
Lum looks great with normal clothes - not that she doesn't anyway
Lum looks good in whatever she wants to wear ngl...
Oct 27, 2022 8:43 PM

Jan 2018
QuincyDK said:
so far, not having seen the original cuz it aired 14 years before i was born, this anime is effin brilliant! Let's hope it will get a 200ep run like the original did! ^__^
Not sure it will get that many episodes because the OG version had alot of filler arcs on it. (though that was pretty normal for anime of the time and some still do that today.)
Oct 27, 2022 9:27 PM

May 2019
Really enjoyable introduction episode for Shutaro Mendo. I don't remember there is a gag of his home inside a gigantic airplane lol but it's a neat addition. I'm Mendo is there any problem? Yes, you are the problem that falls from the sky. His name literally translates as problem or pain in the ass lol. His VA is pretty good to capture what makes Mendo a really great addition to make the quartet friendship. I love Lum's sexy pose when she sits on the table. No wonder Mendo would fall hard for such a magnificent view. And then her outfit and the Onitsuka shoes make her so drip all the way. The cave segment is pretty much the same as OG except for the last part when the Kurama's rocket is activated to fly to space and it's so random lol. We also got so many feel-up and gay moments towards the end rejoice. I feel like the remake is focused a lot more on the characters' relationship progression and its comedy is a bit toned down compared to the OG. But I really like what they do so far with the remake and can't wait for the next episode. They established the characters' quirks and their relationship a lot earlier and faster too. Looks like the next episode would be only one segment chapter of Kurama with Mendou already in it. I bet we will see the quartet playing tennis next week the Kurama's ship crashed down.
VivaceRexOct 27, 2022 9:47 PM

Oct 27, 2022 9:29 PM
Jun 2020
aahh. seeing the classic gag humor is so much fun.
"Mendou the Pride Monster"
Oct 27, 2022 10:20 PM
Mar 2018
I have no idea where this anime is going lmao.
Oct 27, 2022 10:34 PM
Dec 2021
I was actually laughing while watching, which doesnt happen often
Oct 28, 2022 12:12 AM
Nov 2021
Funny episode.
Lmao, Obnoxious Light Yagami and Pervy Levi Ackermann together makes it double fun.
Oct 28, 2022 1:30 AM

Jul 2012
0451 said:
Trouble Rains Down! It's the debut of Mendou!

Ngl, I didn't expect him to appear so soon. I thought they'd at least introduce Rei first but guess not. Since the next episode will probably adapt 2 Kurama chapters at once, I guess it was necessary for Mendou to be introduced sooner. Mamoru Miyano is great at voicing Mendou. Definitely looking forward to seeing him more.

This episode made me laugh the most out of the 3 that released so far, and it barely featured Lum. It's probably because it's been a long time since I first watched Mendou's debut story in the original anime. And I didn't rewatch it once since I watched it for the first time.
There were some small cuts and changes that I could still notice. But overall I think this episode had better pacing than the last episode.

It's interesting that the next episode doesn't have A or B segments. So it means not every episode will use it. I'm pretty sure the next episode will be a combination of multiple chapters though. But some episodes could really use the non-segmented length to be truly effective.
Can't wait to see what they do.

They used to do that after a while in the old anime too, and the results were usually very chaotic fun.
I'm excited to see how David Production will have their own take too (they did this great in JoJo here and there).
Oct 28, 2022 1:34 AM

Jul 2012
Did1268 said:

I mean, it is faithful, it's just adapting the most important chapters instead of EVERYTHING, most likely (and likely, much like the old anime, it will revisit some skipped content later). And it's not like a BIG portion of the entirety of the manga can't be trimmed either, most of it is just crazy and dumb slapstick fun and only a portion of the chapters actually advance the plot and introduce characters in one way or another.

We are not even skipping near as much as the first episodes of the first anime so far (in there, ep1 covered chapter 1 and 3, followed by ep2 covering chapter 63 and 82 LMAO, just to further proof how easy it is to handle this manga without even hurting the content, as that adaptation was just as much fun as the source material).
DanpmssOct 28, 2022 1:38 AM
Oct 28, 2022 2:30 AM

Nov 2013
Good to see Mendo introduced so early. A love rectangle will always been more interesting than a love triangle.
LOL, your opinion is wrong!
Oct 28, 2022 2:49 AM

May 2020
Mendou, the lady killer. Such a fitting role for Miyano Mamoru lol. Shinobu changing sides this early somehow didn't surprise me, but still the love triangle thing is here to stay for a while.
Oct 28, 2022 3:36 AM

Dec 2021
Danpmss said:
Did1268 said:

I mean, it is faithful, it's just adapting the most important chapters instead of EVERYTHING, most likely (and likely, much like the old anime, it will revisit some skipped content later). And it's not like a BIG portion of the entirety of the manga can't be trimmed either, most of it is just crazy and dumb slapstick fun and only a portion of the chapters actually advance the plot and introduce characters in one way or another.

We are not even skipping near as much as the first episodes of the first anime so far (in there, ep1 covered chapter 1 and 3, followed by ep2 covering chapter 63 and 82 LMAO, just to further proof how easy it is to handle this manga without even hurting the content, as that adaptation was just as much fun as the source material).

Woah, as someone who's only ever watched the 1981 adaptation and this, and has never read the manga... 🤯
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Oct 28, 2022 5:03 AM
Mar 2021
Extremely funny, and amazing writing. I feel invested in the characters and Mendo creeps me out on a different level.
Oct 28, 2022 5:11 AM

May 2020
FMmatron said:
I miss Ten-chan tbh

Mendou based tho

Ten is the worst character. I hope they stay faithful to the manga and we won't get to see him for many episodes to come.
Oct 28, 2022 5:23 AM

Nov 2016
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:
FMmatron said:
I miss Ten-chan tbh

Mendou based tho

Ten is the worst character. I hope they stay faithful to the manga and we won't get to see him for many episodes to come.

His shenanigans were amusing af. I liked that the OG anime introduced him earlier.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2022 5:23 AM
Jun 2013
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:
FMmatron said:
I miss Ten-chan tbh

Mendou based tho

I have to say, when I joined the UY fandom I was impressed everyone hated Ten. I really liked him, even more in the 5th film
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2023

52 by ArctiKFox »»
Mar 30, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2022

98 by Rezete_01 »»
Mar 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.