Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2022 5:34 PM
May 2020
I'like have dislike button so people can express their opnions.
Aug 1, 2022 5:34 PM
Soaring

Aug 2014
I remember the good old days where you could downvote a review. I remember that feature being taken away. But this, this has got to be the worst update so far.

Most voted reviews are generally going to be the best ones so I want them on top. I also want to easily see the score that is given other than a vague recommended or not recommended. This update has basically killed reviews for me.
Aug 1, 2022 5:36 PM

Jul 2019
Manja_Warior said:
NextUniverse said:
Pls no dislike button. It goes against intellectualism and is made 4 ppl who hate free speech.

Not allowing people to express they don't like a review also goes against free speech, no?

The ability to intelligently use the dislike button has been proven to not work for the average MAL user on multiple different occasions. In 2015 (fuck if I know actually), MAL removed its "not helpful" button due to the a large magnitude of seething brigades full of anime fans who simply could not cope with the fact that someone dared to post an opposing opinion. On paper, and in practice, adding back this new ability to express an """""opinion""""" simply objectively doesn't work.

People are already confusing a confused button as a dislike button.

Wait for the "ratio" on MAL to become a common occurrence.

Aug 1, 2022 5:37 PM

Apr 2016
At least we finally got the thread now so I can better understand why these changes were made. I still feel scores will still make for better, more specific coverage than the 3 rec ratings (also because I am definitely still recommending some stuff that sucks due to hilarity factor but putting as rec will give people the wrong impression despite it being true) so it should still be seen and I look forward to the suggested feature getting refinements and eventually learning what the algorithm looks for.

I also think that the emote tally is a strange and misleading idea compared to just letting us immediately see the votes for each silly emote and that stuff should be both higher and larger so it's more visible in general. That and shrinking top 4 to 3 have me worried but here's hoping it will actually address the massive botting and ratrace issues that have plagued the site since Summer 2017 and Winter 2018, respectively...because I'd really like my worry and pessimism on that front to be proven wrong.
CodeBlazeFateAug 1, 2022 5:42 PM
Aug 1, 2022 5:41 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Show who has voted on a review 🔜
The main reason for showing the username list of review votes is to make botting easily visible to all members. Understandably, negative reactions more easily incite anger in the community, so this was the reason the updated list of feedback options do not contain noticeably negative responses.

I had not seen that last part lol.

I don't see the point in this tho. Should be restricted to mods.

When a change like this happens, ppl are gonna wanna check out who is giving what to their reviews.
Aug 1, 2022 5:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
NextUniverse said:
Manja_Warior said:

Not allowing people to express they don't like a review also goes against free speech, no?

The ability to intelligently use the dislike button has been proven to not work for the average MAL user on multiple different occasions. In 2015 (fuck if I know actually), MAL removed its "not helpful" button due to the a large magnitude of seething brigades full of anime fans who simply could not cope with the fact that someone dared to post an opposing opinion. On paper, and in practice, adding back this new ability to express an """""opinion""""" simply objectively doesn't work.

Protecting opposing/unpopular opinions doesn't and shouldn't end at silencing any ability to disagree with those opinions. Like, do we need to have a downvote button that ticks the upvote counter in reverse? We can't even walk on eggshells criticizing these reviews in threads asking about MAL reviews you dislike without getting in trouble for it, for christ's sake, and yet it's being treated as some black and white scenario where it's either "no downvote" or "downvote" without any of the potential in-between compromises being considered. Because I feel confident in saying that we just want *something* at this point.

Aug 1, 2022 5:49 PM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:
deg said:
The main reason for showing the username list of review votes is to make botting easily visible to all members. Understandably, negative reactions more easily incite anger in the community, so this was the reason the updated list of feedback options do not contain noticeably negative responses.

I had not seen that last part lol.

I don't see the point in this tho. Should be restricted to mods.

When a change like this happens, ppl are gonna wanna check out who is giving what to their reviews.

i dont see any problem with that still a dislike button even if its not public like youtube would be nice
Aug 1, 2022 5:52 PM

Jun 2013
Suggested reviews are currently absolute garbage, hope u fix it.
Aug 1, 2022 5:52 PM

Dec 2016
And this is how the era of review rat-racing in MyAnimeList has (finally) come to an end.
Aug 1, 2022 5:56 PM

Feb 2016
Aprils Fools was 4 months ago you dingus.

Also, wow, trashing on the legacy of the top helpful reviewers, you guys really done it. Also, Stop deleting my comments. I SHALL NOT BE SILENCED.

RIP MAL 2004-2022, it was already dead, but now it's more dead than ever.

Manaban said:

YO BE CAREFUL, YOU MIGHT HURT SOMEONE'S FEELINGS AND GET BANNED

Reviewers are sacrosanct. They are above you and I. They must exist in a state where any and all disagreement with their perspective is shut out. Don't upset the status quo.

They already hurt everyone's feelings by disrespecting reviewers by completely taking off years of legacy through the take down of most helpful reviewers. 😭😭😭
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 1, 2022 5:56 PM

Mar 2021
Please let us at least see the reviewers score at the top.
Aug 1, 2022 5:59 PM

Apr 2016
Squiyn said:
Please let us at least see the reviewers score at the top.
PLEASE LET US?! Why can't we keep that at the top?! Also, they made checking upvotes more annoying now.
SoldierDream said:
And this is how the era of review rat-racing in MyAnimeList has (finally) come to an end.
I actively expect it to worsen quite heavily, especially with top 4 turning into top 3. Genuinely nothing here seems like it will combat any of what made the site turn to utter dogshit for the review climate back in Winter 2018 with all the ratraces and botting. The one fully positive change this site has made in years is fixing the "finished airing" 12 hour loophole...after 4 years.
Aug 1, 2022 6:00 PM

Dec 2019
Kineta said:

New "Suggested" sort option ✅
Since the different feedback options have different implications, "Most voted" is not really an accurate assessment of a review's reception. Thus, we have added the sort option "Suggested" to account for this.

🔖 There are some reeeeally strange bugs with the "Suggested" ordering which slipped through testing... they will be fixed shortly.
  🔖 In the future, "Suggested" will continue to be improved with better algorithms and may become personalized.

These part confuses me. If the suggested sort just tries to account for different feedback options, why aren't the top review just the ones with the most "nice" feedbacks? Since this feature is brand new, almost all feedback is just "nice". This doesn't sound that complex. Why does this even have so many bugs?
Anyway, I would suggest temporarily switching to "most voted" as the sort that decides the reviews featured on the profile. It looks really weird to see that Love is War S3's reviews being RebelPanda's review and two reviews with only 6 likes.
Aug 1, 2022 6:01 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This update sucks dicks and is easily the worst update ever.

Thanks MAL staff, your ideas suck ass and you should feel bad about them.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 1, 2022 6:02 PM

Feb 2016
NextUniverse said:
Manja_Warior said:

Well, either MAL users are drawn out of their bubble and accept that not everyone will agree with their opinion, or keep dooming MAL for whatever time it has left. Anilist has had the dislike button for as long as I've been there, and I've seen no one angry about it.

I guess the difference is that the ratio isn't shown unless you read the whole thing. MAL reviews needed a revamp, but oh boy...
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 1, 2022 6:12 PM

Jan 2022
Users in this site where already scary to begin with.

This feature makes it more chaotic. Welp... gotta grab popcorn real quick lol.

Aug 1, 2022 6:15 PM

Jul 2021
This just made it worse

Aug 1, 2022 6:19 PM

Dec 2019
I've made a thread about my problems about the MAL review system, and while I never expected MAL to address my problems the day after, this update doesn't deal with my problems well. TL;DR for my thread: the main problem is that, if a review isn't released the moment an anime finishes, the review is buried and seen by almost no one. The suggested sort could've dealt with this problem, but there's no evidence that it does at the moment.
The extra feedback options seem helpful in theory, but if a review gets no exposure, it gets no feedback. It's honestly pointless.
The recommended/not recommended system could prevent people from jacking up or jacking down their scores to appease the audience, but we lose the ability to easily see if the reviews say it's a masterpiece or just good.
Aug 1, 2022 6:29 PM

May 2021
Thank you for removing the score from the reviews. Many times the score on reviews was used in a way to make people angry. Score on reviews are useless in my opinion because each person can agree or disagree with what the person says on his/her review but most of the time won't care or agree with the score. It reduces toxicity because many people start posting toxic comments on the person's profile just he because put a low score on his favorite anime, manga etc without looking what this person actually wrote on his review. It also reduces toxicity because many toxic reviewers use the score to purposely anger the fans. For example : when the average score of the anime is 7, he/she will put 6 or lower on his review and these reviewers that use the score on the reviews in such toxic way also write nonsense that most of the time the text of the review is just a salty nonsense. And I must say based on what I said above that I agree with the others that you must give an option to express our disapproval about the reviews. In conclusion, you should create something similar to what Valve does with steam.
Aug 1, 2022 6:37 PM

Jun 2012
This feels like a dumbed down version of how Steams lets players rate games.
I liked the old review better tbh.
Aug 1, 2022 6:39 PM

Jan 2021
This update is honestly really bad, as aside from the obvious and being a huge blow to years of legacy with the top helpful reviews, this solves absolutely nothing, as people will do exactly as they do in Facebook and use the "Funny" option to mock people, so despite not giving a "Dislike" you effectively gave a "I'm laughing at you" button.
Aug 1, 2022 6:44 PM
Sep 2018
the fourth war has just begun 😅
Aug 1, 2022 6:44 PM

Dec 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
I actively expect it to worsen quite heavily, especially with top 4 turning into top 3. Genuinely nothing here seems like it will combat any of what made the site turn to utter dogshit for the review climate back in Winter 2018 with all the ratraces and botting.

Why? Now that reviewers know the reviews to be displayed on the front page won't be determined by number of votes, but now instead by a system that allows variation, the incentive to be among the 1st ones to secure one of the (now three) spots the same day a title concludes is completely gone. With this review system update there's just no competition for one of those spots anymore, there won't be any prize to be battling for anymore.
Aug 1, 2022 6:46 PM

Apr 2015
The new reviews are cringe and everyone involved should go to prison.

Court dismissed, bring in the dancing lobsters.

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 1, 2022 6:56 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Kineta said:

🔖 Clicking the area which displays the total review votes will bring up a pop-up with the username list.

Does that means that there's a possibility we will also get a way to check which reviews we voted on? (for example, to change some reactions from older ones to adopt the new system)
As in an easy list, instead of having to check random series we might have watched.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Aug 1, 2022 6:59 PM

Apr 2016
SoldierDream said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
I actively expect it to worsen quite heavily, especially with top 4 turning into top 3. Genuinely nothing here seems like it will combat any of what made the site turn to utter dogshit for the review climate back in Winter 2018 with all the ratraces and botting.

Why? Now that reviewers know the reviews to be displayed on the front page won't be determined by number of votes, but now instead by a system that allows variation, the incentive to be among the 1st ones to secure one of the (now three) spots the same day a title concludes is completely gone. With this review system update there's just no competition for one of those spots anymore, there won't be any prize to be battling for anymore.
People are still gonna try and try hard probably. At best, I can see this season demoralizing enough people to give up. At worst, they find out how the game and abuse the system...again.
Aug 1, 2022 7:02 PM

Oct 2021
I still dislike the updated review section but if it means preventing some reviews by RebelPanda and Stark700 from showing up on the main page, then I would gladly appreciate this update.
Aug 1, 2022 7:51 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Well there are some issues with the suggestion algorithm right now, but when its fixed I think things will be pretty decent.
Aug 1, 2022 8:01 PM

Oct 2019
Alright, here's what you should do to fix the backlash and keep the system:

1. make most voted the default again. the suggested thing can stay, but the most popular should be the way to go. at least until you make a proper algorithm that works perfectly, that should be the case.

2. instead of removing the (story, art, sound...) thing, make it customizable, diverse it into more options like (directing, pacing...) and the give people the option to pick and choose if they want to include them or not. you can please both parties, and reach your goal of not having people feel like they have to talk about those things.

3. have both the recommended thing and score. telling someone something is good, and telling someone, you should watch something are not the same. there is no reason to only have 1 of them, you don't need to remove the score to have that.

having both clears the score confusion, while also keeping everything that works about a score system.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Aug 1, 2022 8:24 PM
Fantasy lover

Aug 2017
There seems to be a lot of problems with this one but what annoyed me the most are the cringy emoji’s D:
The "funny" feedback option also seems wrong here. This isn‘t Steam where you don‘t have a score system so you have to write a review and end up writing maybe 1 funny sentence because you don‘t want to write a full essay.
If you are writing/reading a review here you want to know if it is worth watching/reading or not despite what the score says and not someone making a fart joke.

"Love it" also seems closer to "Nice" than Magic to Fantasy D:
KeikenAug 2, 2022 3:30 PM
Aug 1, 2022 8:29 PM

Feb 2016
Please bring back the emoji numbers from April 1, 2020.
その目だれの目?
Aug 1, 2022 8:43 PM
Feb 2015
MAL was making improvements and that all just went to shit with this update
Aug 1, 2022 8:51 PM

Sep 2020
I was thinking of submitting a few reviews, but I guess I'll wait for things to settle down. Intrigued to see how things shape up.
Aug 1, 2022 9:03 PM
Jun 2021
Wtf is this update?? When I look at a review I don't want to see some generic recommend/mixed feelings/not recommended first and have to scroll to the bottom of every review, I want to see the number first. Simplifying the entire scale of 10 numbers into 3 categories fails to capture just how good or how shitty a show is. Like is it a 7 kind of good or a 10 kind of good? Plus just because one thinks a show is great doesn't mean it's an automatic recommended for all audiences. I also hate the emoji reactions, like what is this? Facebook? What's even the difference between Nice and Love it? If there was an option for misleading or badly written maybe I'd be more on board with the reactions.

I hope there's an option to use the old format for those who dislike the new one.
Aug 1, 2022 9:18 PM
Nov 2012
Why can't I see the reviewer's score without expanding review? I've learned whose taste I can trust and just glancing at their score is enough for me. Having to do an extra click to see the score is a downgrade imo.
Aug 1, 2022 9:28 PM

Sep 2011
The dislike button was removed a long time ago. Didn't really mind it being removed, but adding a laughing emoji and confusing emoji? Lolwut. Confusing emoji isn't that bad, but the laughing emoji being added is hysterical tbh. That's basically the new "downvote" button and I actually find that worse than the dislike button itself. People use laughing emoji's very passive aggressively these days.
Aug 1, 2022 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
This update is crap. By doing this, you all have silenced people who write criticisms on certain anime. Only positive reviews on the top! You have given readers too much power. Now all of the writer's hard work will go to waste
Aug 1, 2022 10:21 PM

May 2019
I was wondering why today the reviews only showed a "recommended" and not a number. I am disappointed in this update and prefer review score numbers. Using "recommended" instead of a number from 7 - 10 shows less meaning and is a regression. I hope that review numbers are brought back and at least put alongside the "recommended" wording.
Aug 1, 2022 10:27 PM

Feb 2021
And if there is a review for ongoing series? Is there any criteria to distinguish reviews on aired show and ongoing?
Aug 1, 2022 10:29 PM
Oct 2017
This is the first time I had participated in anything here. I just want to say that review system became bad. there is no improvements here at all. I want an option for the old rating system which is way superior to this one. thank you.
AccountKiller
Aug 1, 2022 10:38 PM

Feb 2019
NEW UPDATE IS HORRIBLE

OLD ONE WAS BETTER
Aug 1, 2022 10:40 PM

Mar 2019
Honestly not a fan of this change - Not really big on the emojis they almost make it more soulless. I much prefered just saying if it was helpful or not.
Aug 1, 2022 10:47 PM
Sep 2017
I love the Update so far, specially making 6-5 as Mixed feelings since people will now possibly treat it as Average as it was originally intended. Thank you
NotTrying2BLazyAug 1, 2022 10:53 PM

Aug 1, 2022 10:54 PM

Jun 2017
The update was a good thing. Now people probably wouldn't rush to write reviews as soon as the anime finishes airing.
Edit - like many people said, I think you should provide a dislike option too. Otherwise people are just going to use other options like "confusing" as a substitute.
Chrome_FalconAug 3, 2022 7:57 AM
Aug 1, 2022 10:58 PM
Jan 2021
One of the reasons I love MAL is because it displays as much information as possible in a given space without looking too congested. The new review is good and seems relatively modern, but it's not as efficient as it should be and leaves a lot of space. Adding multiple reactions to reviews and hiding the reviewer score is an excellent idea.
If enough users agree, a downvote or disagree reaction should also be added to responses. I believe we all are mature enough and we will not abuse the downvote system as other forum users do.
I hope moderators read this feedback.
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Aug 1, 2022 11:17 PM

Mar 2021
This is a wonderful update I see the MAL web developers have woken up to the fact that anilist and kitsu look far more modern and sleek than MAL which is still stuck in 2011 in some aspects. However I have a problem with putting the review rating at the end of the review as there is a big difference between giving an anime a 7 vs a 9.
Aug 1, 2022 11:34 PM

May 2015
Love all the people who do nothing but write negative reviews for every popular show every season crying over this lol.

Aug 1, 2022 11:36 PM

Jul 2014
I personally dislike this update, going back to the previous system would be great.

The emoji feel EXTREMELY out of place on MAL, as some others have mentioned, this crashes with the rest of MAL, maybe it works on some other websites like FB or whatever but definitely not here.
Also, the only ways to interact with the reviews is by saying something positive, if people are willing to share their opinions about an anime on here I think they should expect all sorts of different opinions and reactions to them, not only receive praise, it would be great to at least have a "dislike" reaction, if possible without the cringe emoji.
And last but most important, the score the reviewer has given the anime is now at the very very bottom of the review itself, making it a chore to check the overall scores people give to an anime. I'm someone who usually looks quickly through the reviews if I'm not completely sure whether to watch something or not, but now this "emoji feelings uwu" review system makes it so much harder.

Maybe the intentions were good ones but this entire thing doesn't feel much like MAL, a website dedicated to showing as much information about an anime as possible is now trying to hide opinions and ratings from users. If nothing else, please at least put back the scores at the top again (and maybe get rid of the ugly emoji).

Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM
Sep 2017
TarifKabir said:
This is a wonderful update I see the MAL web developers have woken up to the fact that anilist and kitsu look far more modern and sleek than MAL which is still stuck in 2011 in some aspects. However I have a problem with putting the review rating at the end of the review as there is a big difference between giving an anime a 7 vs a 9.
for me they should just make the ratings 5/5 instead of 10/10 since MAL users these days considered 6-5 as bad even though they are average. By making it 5/5 it becomes more balance and less convoluted.
NotTrying2BLazyAug 2, 2022 12:00 AM

Aug 1, 2022 11:44 PM

Dec 2015
Well ... as long as you don't get punished for using "confused" - then everythign is fine. I guess the "Review moderators will be able to add/remove labels as necessary to preserve the feature's intended use." means the overall thing at the top where some kind of label gets placed if a lot of people vote for something. Not the votes itself.

As long as someone is not a bot - people should be allowed to use the "confused" to disagree. Since this seems common on other websites. Where it even feels like a "dislike". While here on MAL it actually could just mean "I disagree ... can't understand why you have this opinion". Which easily can be used for people that try to only focus on the good or bad stuff. (The ones that usually also score 9-10 and are fanboys writing a biased review.)

I mean: The system already tries to hide the votes to a "confused" then ... probably only is really based on the written text - disagreeing with it because it seems biased. ;)
(Unless you admit a flaw - expecting people to still check the scores by expanding the review. And then solely voting based on that.)

Personally I would not dislike/disagree if a person that scored 9/10 also mentioned flaws in the review or wrote stuff like "this anime still might not be for everyone" - trying to give it a wider thought ... would feel less like a fanboy then. I barely read revies (never write them) - and I think there have been a reviews for every case.

While reviewers that gave a high score that seem like fanboys + reviewers that gave a low score that seem like haters - are common ... not everyone is like that. Also "long text" does not mean "good review" - in my opinion. This can't be used as an automated defense to argue a downvote (giving "confused") is trollling. (Actually for a long text this might make even sense - if it feels too clutterted/too long. Personal opinion. Others might find this "informative" then. Lol.)

So yes: I can vote "confused" If I think a revier liking the anime (according to his score or recommendationn setting) ... seems to almost write a whole book about the art and animation - when I know tha anime ... and did not like the chars and feel like he was biased and wrote just too short there or didn't really mention the flaws. (Like: People that try to hide that the main char in Re:Zero ... "might" be annoying for some people. If they write the was just super realistic - I will disagree. If they say "he cried/screamed a lot which I found to be realistic/authentic in this situation - some people might find this annoying" ... this is different. Nothng to disagree there even if the person strongly recommends the anime. The review would not have misled me then.)
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
2 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.