Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2008 5:39 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Awesome episode!
So it was Roberto who stopped Tenma, didn't really surprised me, after seing Johan look directly to the place Tenma was.
But I was surprised at what happened during the ceremony, I was actually expecting him to kill Schuwald, not that he had planned to just create terror among the people attending it.
Can't wait to see what will happen next :D
Jul 25, 2008 12:30 AM

Mar 2007
Remind me to NEVER get a Czech children's book... If they're like the story in this episode... why would you want to tell this crap to children.

....i guess to instill fear to people who try to take advantage of worldly things but thats pretty fucked up [goes to order the book on EBAY]

I can see how the "monster" in the story is supposed to be ourselves trying to find a name or purpose to our lives. Like the west monster was supposed to represent good and the east monster represents evil. I could see how it relates to cheating, swindling, fraud, and other undermined things. But no matter how you twist it, its still a fucked up children's book.

God and of course this idiot acts all stupid at the last second in classic anime fashion. Well at least the gun got used after all that walking around with it for the past 10+ episodes.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Oct 15, 2008 5:12 AM

Feb 2008
That is one messed up book, wow.
Dec 27, 2008 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
Hahaha awesome book. Lotte is a HUGE cunt.

The fire scene was awesome. Everything was great. I'm glad I don't watch previews. I hope Tenma shoots him and this is the turning point for him...

BTW wtf is up with the ending theme? It sucks. A lot.
Aug 12, 2009 5:10 AM

Jul 2009
Wow it's really peaked right in the middle - the suspense is killing me but I love it :P

Also, that picture book was creepy as hell but now we know what Johan is basically.
Aug 12, 2009 5:34 AM
Jun 2009
First time I've actually hated a character from any show. =(
Aug 25, 2009 6:32 PM
Mar 2008
I actually didn't care for this episode too much. I kinda felt that they were just dragging things out a bit too much and attempting to create too much suspense in regards to if Tenma was going to pull the trigger or not.

I think as Schubert said in an earlier episode, Johann can probably only be killed by an even bigger monster than himself. Thus I don't belive that Tenma can actually do it. Either Johann will be killed by a bigger monster than himself or else the process in which to kill him will result in changing the person that kills him to become a monster themself. Thus that person will replace Johann as the monster. Such as if Nina (already being half of the monster duo) were to kill Johann she would go down the same path, especially since she has that killer look in her eyes from time to time as it is.
yamijubakuAug 25, 2009 6:42 PM
Oct 13, 2009 3:03 PM

Nov 2007
wow, i really liked the story and animation of the book for some reason.

And it was johan who made the fire happen?
Nov 12, 2009 11:45 AM
Jul 2009
i can't wait fore the next!!!
Dec 3, 2009 6:30 AM
Oct 2009
I really liked the children's book.Didn't really like the fact that Nina didn't find Johan while she was at city.I mean he's all over the TV with the guy who is a huge part of Europe economy.Then again maybe she didn't recognize him,i dont know :S

Also,the dragging with Tenma pulling the trigger was really annoying.
Feb 2, 2010 11:47 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS INSANE! My heart rate is 109. This is purely amazing. I have never felt so much excitement in me while watching movies, TV shows, series. Never. This is probably the best thing you watch on TV.

OK, I relaxed a little bit. And can write my thoughts about the episode.

So, it seems Johan actually fiddled with the ants. Everything before led to this particular scene. That criminal's prediction what Johan might do next, conversation between Schuwald and Reichwein, the librarian lady, and Johan's words of course "Many people have swarmed here for you". Everything...
But his actions, kind of deny what I was contemplating in previous discussions. I thought Johan actually has a goal. And the fact that he asked Anna to kill him only proofed it (read my previous comments). But now it seems like he is only trying to make his life matter differently. By enjoying it. By fulfilling his heart's desires. I am quite sure there is no logical explanation to this. Since it is only to feel alive. It's the same thing he told those boys to do.

The picture book was amazing. The split monsters are probably the twins. We see that they both started their life the same way. They were born twins. Identical. Had the same goal in their life. To become someone, to make your life matter. It is symbolized by the monsters' wish to have a name. But what became of them is the cause of the circumstances. Since we did not see what happened to one of the monsters it is hard to understand how was the other monster's personality affected by the surroundings. But we could assume that he met bad people. Who hated him, used him to gain power. It could be a parallel with all the people in Johan's life. Kinderheim 511, all of his foster parents, the fascist group. They all used Johan because he was special, and could give them money, power, etc. But he finally found someone who cared for him. And that is Tenma. The prince in the picture book. He was not selfish, he cared for the monster. So the monster tried to be good. We did not see Johan killing anyone during those 9 years. But he could not keep it inside of him any longer. So instead of killing Tenma he started killing everyone else that used him. Starting with all foster parents. Castle residents in the picture book. Eventually he met his other self, Anna, who was completely different. The other monster understood that you don't have to be special, you can leave peacefully as long as you are happy without leaving a footprint in the pages history. But the prince, monster did not listen, he had kept his anger, hunger inside of him for too long. Now the only thing he can do is eat everyone, fiddle with ants, suppress the hunger, eliminate sorrow by having fun, satisfying your hunger...
(wow.... the interpretation came out way better than I expected :D )
No sig :(
Feb 12, 2010 2:21 PM

Apr 2008
That was one hell of a story! it somehow explains a lot about Johan. The monster!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Apr 8, 2010 11:43 AM

Jun 2008
WOW, talk about suspense at the end!!
May 29, 2010 12:53 PM

Sep 2008
Mamiko Noto makes a great narrator. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2010 4:40 AM

May 2009
This isn't that important, but I'm wondering who was that woman that started the fire?
Jun 25, 2010 4:04 PM

Nov 2009
zewho said:
This isn't that important, but I'm wondering who was that woman that started the fire?

Probably some random woman who Johan manipulated. Maybe first Roberto found her somewhere and caught her in his web. Her smile was priceless xD.
Jul 1, 2010 9:58 AM

May 2010
I expected that someone would interrupt Tenma from shooting Johan either

the counselor , Lunge or Nina.. But I got Roberto... lol
Jul 21, 2010 9:37 PM

Jul 2008
Algirdyz said:
THIS IS INSANE! My heart rate is 109. This is purely amazing. I have never felt so much excitement in me while watching movies, TV shows, series. Never. This is probably the best thing you watch on TV.

OK, I relaxed a little bit. And can write my thoughts about the episode.

So, it seems Johan actually fiddled with the ants. Everything before led to this particular scene. That criminal's prediction what Johan might do next, conversation between Schuwald and Reichwein, the librarian lady, and Johan's words of course "Many people have swarmed here for you". Everything...
But his actions, kind of deny what I was contemplating in previous discussions. I thought Johan actually has a goal. And the fact that he asked Anna to kill him only proofed it (read my previous comments). But now it seems like he is only trying to make his life matter differently. By enjoying it. By fulfilling his heart's desires. I am quite sure there is no logical explanation to this. Since it is only to feel alive. It's the same thing he told those boys to do.

The picture book was amazing. The split monsters are probably the twins. We see that they both started their life the same way. They were born twins. Identical. Had the same goal in their life. To become someone, to make your life matter. It is symbolized by the monsters' wish to have a name. But what became of them is the cause of the circumstances. Since we did not see what happened to one of the monsters it is hard to understand how was the other monster's personality affected by the surroundings. But we could assume that he met bad people. Who hated him, used him to gain power. It could be a parallel with all the people in Johan's life. Kinderheim 511, all of his foster parents, the fascist group. They all used Johan because he was special, and could give them money, power, etc. But he finally found someone who cared for him. And that is Tenma. The prince in the picture book. He was not selfish, he cared for the monster. So the monster tried to be good. We did not see Johan killing anyone during those 9 years. But he could not keep it inside of him any longer. So instead of killing Tenma he started killing everyone else that used him. Starting with all foster parents. Castle residents in the picture book. Eventually he met his other self, Anna, who was completely different. The other monster understood that you don't have to be special, you can leave peacefully as long as you are happy without leaving a footprint in the pages history. But the prince, monster did not listen, he had kept his anger, hunger inside of him for too long. Now the only thing he can do is eat everyone, fiddle with ants, suppress the hunger, eliminate sorrow by having fun, satisfying your hunger...
(wow.... the interpretation came out way better than I expected :D )

This.
Sep 2, 2010 1:37 PM

Sep 2009
Eak! Johann is so creepy :o
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 13, 2010 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
bakuramariks said:
zewho said:

Probably some random woman who Johan manipulated. Maybe first Roberto found her somewhere and caught her in his web. Her smile was priceless xD.

She was roberto's "wife", the one who was seeing the psychiatrist takong care of Dieter.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 13, 2010 1:19 PM

Mar 2010
The story was awesome of course, the reason why i watch this in a way

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 17, 2011 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
WHAT KIND OF CHILDRENS BOOK IS THAT?!
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 18, 2011 5:28 PM

Nov 2008
Even if someone didn't interrupt Tenma, he still wouldn't have shot him. He can't shoot him, no matter how much he says to himself that he needs to. Also it bothers me how long Tenma was just sitting there, while Roberto points a gun at someone who obviously isn't Johan.

Czech children books are amazing lol....Runge annoys me so much my body is in pain

(edit: Oh, he might be able to shoot after all...I still doubt it though...Someone else probably shot)
SickeninglySweetJun 18, 2011 5:42 PM
Mar 3, 2012 11:58 PM

Mar 2009
That monster story was good.
Mar 14, 2012 3:29 PM

Mar 2010
crazy episode!
loved it :)
Jun 4, 2012 12:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The childrens book, the suspense, the fire, Schuwald's face...I loved it all. Wow.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 30, 2012 6:01 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, great episode! I wonder who's bullet that was at the end :O

And the monster story is soo creepy T_T
Sep 14, 2012 10:57 AM

Jun 2009
PnkRxPrncss said:
Also it bothers me how long Tenma was just sitting there, while Roberto points a gun at someone who obviously isn't Johan.

this..
Tenma disappointed me .. he didn't even tried to shoot!
and almost let Roberto shoot =/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2012 11:52 AM

Nov 2009
Yeah I really liked Tenma as a character but now its starting to wane, he just keeps on hesitating, I mean I get that taking a life for him is a hard thing to do but if he really can't do it he should just give up and leave, stop having his cross hares over Johan's head and failing to pull the trigger its making me rage. Also not sure how that was supposedly tight security, A dude on the upper balcony, clearly in view of probably everybody their, slinging a huge gun and doesn't even get caught. Also the lady walks in with a huge thing of gasoline, not sure what kind of security would go "Oh you need gasoline for you electric powered wheel chair, that makes sense, oh I see you also have some cigarettes, here take these matches in case you forgot your lighter"... I mean how derpy do they have to be to let a chick with a shit ton of gasoline just walk by.
Nov 23, 2012 9:47 PM

Mar 2012
That was the best children's story ever.

Tenma needs to make up his mind on this whole "killing people" business. That cliffhanger though.
Dec 18, 2012 6:02 AM

Feb 2012
AMAZING episode.

About Episode:

So that picture book was just like Anna and Johan has been in their life. And it's basically is telling their story in that book. Kind of creepy.

So Tenma tried to eliminate Johan but couldn't do it. So again... how many times this is already happened Roberto showed up and started fighting with Tenma. So basically this Johan plan was creation that was explained in a note. That there will be a fire 1996. So it all connects to that scene. Now I was pretty sure Johan was after Shuwald but no he did same Schuwald that some people did him in kindlehaim 511.

In the end of the episode I can suppose that voice was Tenma finally got his weapon working. Otherwise this anime would end.

5/5
Jan 29, 2013 1:40 AM

Jan 2012
So did Tenma kill Roberto?

Feb 26, 2013 12:16 PM
Aug 2011
ownosourus said:
So did Tenma kill Roberto?

plz appreciate cliffhangers more

What a suspenseful episode, from the disturbing children's book to the very end.
Though Tenma is very frustrating.

hznu said:
Lotte is a HUGE cunt.

Yeah and honestly I was neutral towards Lotte but now I hate her.
Anna should have slapped her at least twice. Hard.
Mar 4, 2013 1:51 AM

Aug 2010
bari bari gusha gusha baki baki gokkun Thats one interesting monster
Mar 10, 2013 10:15 AM
Aug 2012
Awesome episode full of emotions and action! Actually I couldn'r stop myself to say it loud: Shoot Tenma! shoot him , you can!
Apr 27, 2013 3:36 AM

Apr 2013
I really wanted Tenma to shoot him but i thing someone else shot him.
Jun 21, 2013 2:49 AM
Jun 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
Yeah I really liked Tenma as a character but now its starting to wane, he just keeps on hesitating, I mean I get that taking a life for him is a hard thing to do but if he really can't do it he should just give up and leave, stop having his cross hares over Johan's head and failing to pull the trigger its making me rage. Also not sure how that was supposedly tight security, A dude on the upper balcony, clearly in view of probably everybody their, slinging a huge gun and doesn't even get caught. Also the lady walks in with a huge thing of gasoline, not sure what kind of security would go "Oh you need gasoline for you electric powered wheel chair, that makes sense, oh I see you also have some cigarettes, here take these matches in case you forgot your lighter"... I mean how derpy do they have to be to let a chick with a shit ton of gasoline just walk by.

The people were busy being in shock at Schuwald telling them to leave and the smoke from the fire started covering the room, including the balcony. The lady's a librarian so she can pull whatever strings she wants.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Jun 21, 2013 2:55 AM
Jun 2010
hznu said:

Don't know why I'm bothering since this is old, but what did she do? She just overreacted a bit. Seems understandable.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Jun 26, 2013 10:24 PM

Feb 2012
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
hznu said:

Don't know why I'm bothering since this is old, but what did she do? She just overreacted a bit. Seems understandable.

Lotte is actually one of the more believable characters in the series so far tbh,
Aug 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
Algirdyz said:

This is a great analysis by Algirdiz.

-

What an an amazing episode.
The story book is a very poignant look at what this character Johan has become.
An episode full of suspense and emotion.

One of the best.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 4, 2013 11:33 AM

May 2013
Well Damn that book explains a LOT
Is it supposed to be kid's book.. ! it's creepy as hell.
Aug 20, 2013 5:05 AM
May 2012
That picture book is awesome!!! and what a useless security.
Oct 9, 2013 11:51 PM

Jul 2009
wow amazing stuff, but yeah i do agree they dragged things out waay to much.

first off i really love Mamiko Noto(Nina)'s voice. it really feel so heart warming and good for some reason.

like the way she says Bari Bari, Gusha Gusha, Baki Baki,

definitely one of my favorite voice actors ever!!

the story book was creepy as hell, and i know they would use the ED as the based for the story!!

since Nina did mention someone had told her this story, we can safely assume that both Monsters were Nina and Anna.

Monster without a name meaning they were born without anyone naming them(could be a experiment?)

and yes, Nina is the caring one that went on the west while Johan went to the east.

though the book said the east Monster ate the west Monster, since Nina is still alive, i have a feeling Nina is not the west Monster, but rather Johan's other conscious :P

and wow Lotte was too persistent against Nina!!

man Tenma had many chances to kill Johan right there right now!!

and lol why do Roberto always appear out of nowhere XD

though the PV from the last episode kinda spoiled it to me.

the girl that's carrying the oil tank is the librarian girl(i remember her)

so year Johan manipulated her :P

i have a feeling Lunger will conclude that Tenma started the fire and will endlessly battle until Lunge sees Johan and Tenma at the same time.

will Schubert survived this? what about Karl? or even Dieter and Reichwein?

man next episode i want to see Tenma and Johan once again face to face!!!!
Dec 5, 2013 12:57 PM

Jan 2011
i enjoyed Mamiko Notos narration
Dec 8, 2013 9:04 PM

Nov 2013
It is pretty frustrating seeing Tenma's hesitation to shoot, especially with the flashback showing all the murders Johann was involved in, which should have boiled his emotions enough for him to do it.
Dec 23, 2013 6:07 AM

Sep 2011
I want that book...
Jan 8, 2014 3:26 AM

Mar 2013
bakuramariks said:
zewho said:

Roberto's "wife"
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Mar 21, 2014 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit...
Johan is a f***ing mastermind.... I did not expect him to do that.

And GODDAMN that cliffhanger... I have to watch the next episode now....
Mar 28, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2013
Instead of publishing that children's book they should probably have sent the author to therapy, wtf lol. Really liked the animation of it though.

Tenma you little bitch! You spend all this time working up to that moment and then you pussy out, got really angry at him. And they really stretched the time for him to stop Roberto. Obviously Tenma isn't gonna die from that cliffhanger, anyway on to the next but frustrated as fuck he didn't take a shot at Johan.
Apr 29, 2014 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
That's a children's book? That's so creepy, about as creepy as the new ed.

I think Johan's experiment can trace back to what he said to that fat prostitute. That he thought he knew true fear, but then discovered something much darker even then. I think this experiment is his attempt to see if he can uncover the deepest levels of despair and terror.

About time Roberto made an exit (maybe), I can't stand his smug face.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.