Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2022 10:30 AM

Nov 2011
Very nice OP song. It was very vibrant with color, energy, and most importantly, features a lot of Shikimori.

I think a main selling point in the show so far is the chemistry between Shikimori and Yuu, since they are the main pair. Others such as Kyou, Yui, Shuu, etc also has a presence. That bowling segment looked so natural coming from these teens.

Some of Shikimori's reactions were gold in this episode.

Jul 2017
Another hyped show of the season, and potential for Spring's waifu list: "Micchon" Shikimori.

Nice OST, yeah I'll give it that.

I really wonder how a naturally unlucky of a misfortune of a character like MC Yu Izumi managed to ace a girlfriend that's as pretty and cute as Shikimori (VA Saori Oonishi, Arifureta's Kaori), Izumi almost got Truck-kun-ed also. And to start a new school year right with Izumi's close friend Shu Inuzuka (whom looks like Bakugo, but that's because he is voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto, MHA's Bakugo) and Shikimori's friends Yui Hachimitsu and Kyo Nekozaki, the affection of both Izumi and Shikimori starts out cute to the jealousy of others.

The 5 friends hanging out and going bowling, and all have mixed results, save for Izumi. Izumi's the most unlucky earning singles and Shikimori's a perfect strike record. Even wind can't stop Shikimori's cuteness, and as much as Izumi is a pathetic disgrace of a boyfriend to always be protected by Shikimori, she doesn't mind his presence one bit. That's really cool.

Nice premiere, but sadly with Doga Kobo now being in COVID-19 lockdown, proceeding episodes will have to wait for more news to come before confirmation.

https://shikimori-anime.com/news/index00550000.html
https://twitter.com/anitrendz/status/1512590220717305860?s=21&t=JcK6yuAX7A8-KOAOL8YVVg
KANLen09Apr 10, 2022 12:44 AM

May 2020
Don’t we always have the other way around, the super cool male main dude doing some otherworldly stunts to make an impeccable impression around the female lead, but hey looks like we’re in for a change here. Also I guess we got our new “everyone’s favourite” waifu of the season, just like a certain someone we had in last season too.

Good enough first episode though I can see the later episodes following this same trend too, Shikimori doing Shikimori and poor main dude getting deep down in rut more and more with his misfortunes. Please god look over him…

Apr 9, 2022 10:58 AM
Nov 2010
Pretty entertaining 1st ep, with the male MC being always so unlucky, and Shikimori being always there to save him. Definitely the best part about her is her cool side, because that's where she's just so perfect :p
Apr 9, 2022 11:12 AM

Oct 2021
This is another anticipated SoL show this season because of another potential best girl - Shikimori. To be honest, i can see this becoming a success as it have the potential, not being optimistic here because I have already read the first few chapters of manga.
First Episode was good and I gotta say they really went out with the OP visuals. So we have a MC who is basically a moving badluck but his cool gf saves him from the trouble everytime. Premise is simple nothing too complicated but characters are what make it worth giving a shot.
5/5 Episode
Can't wait for next episodes...
Apr 9, 2022 11:14 AM

Aug 2013
yup I got all I wanted from this adaptation and first ep was enjoyable, now I'ts time to play my favorite game "waiting for next week"

English is my second language
Apr 9, 2022 11:14 AM

Aug 2021
What was Izumi trying to say in the end, when Shikimori stopped him??🤔🙄
I think he was going to say "it's bcoz of my misfortune" or something like that...

Yeah, the world would be dark without Light...
but without L, the world would just be a Word...
Apr 9, 2022 11:17 AM

Oct 2017
From this day forth the world shall know that perfect girlfriend does exist. As a big fan of the manga I was way too excited for this anime and I haven't calmed down even after watching the episode. Absolutely loved the premiere, props to Doga Kobo for delivering. Visuals, animation, ost, OP/ED, voice acting everything were pretty much spot on. I knew from the trailers that this would be good and my expectation was met. Shikimori x Izumi moments were beautiful.

So to my fellow manga readers congratz on finally being able to watch this animated and to anime only folks get ready for an awesome journey.

Kawaii Shikimori's definitely great but cool Shikimori's the best.

Apr 9, 2022 11:18 AM

Oct 2015
Few minutes from the episode, I was like, "Ughhhhhhhhh, this is the kind of mc that I don't like." I'm hoping this would be good, especially after seeing the praises from the manga readers...
WNightfallApr 9, 2022 11:22 AM
Apr 9, 2022 11:20 AM
Jul 2019
Been so hyped for this
Apr 9, 2022 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
KANLen09 said:
but sadly with Doga Kobo NOW being in COVID-19 lockdown, proceeding episodes will have to wait for more news to come before confirmation.

I saw the news, I'm praying everything went smoothly

English is my second language
Apr 9, 2022 11:26 AM

Sep 2021
CAMERA EYES

Their eyes and hair are literally glowing all the time compared to the side characters. It's like diamonds interacting with stones, as if they aren't inhuman enough already lol.

No real plot of any kind in episode 1. I kinda saw this coming. They really placed everything on the Waifu huh.
hdkzTanaka_isGodApr 9, 2022 11:31 AM
Apr 9, 2022 11:33 AM
Jan 2021
Wait am I tripping or doesn't izumi become a 2nd year wayy later in the manga???
Apr 9, 2022 11:33 AM

Mar 2018
My wife finally gets animated, so excited for this season.

The production quality seems really high too!
Apr 9, 2022 11:34 AM

Apr 2018
The best waifu of spring arrived, the one and only Shikimori.
I've started the manga a week ago and I must say, it was one hell of a ride. Shikimori's not just a cutie but also the most badass girl you'll ever meet. The soundtrack and opening are both excellent, one of the best of spring IMO. Izumi's the clumsy maincharacter, I did not like him in the start but he gets better and better. We've got to meet Shikimori's friends (and Izumi) already. They've all got great VA's. This'll be fun.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 9, 2022 11:35 AM

Oct 2018
Let's hope the staff recovers quickly. Compared to other teams from Doga Kobo, this is the one with the most stable production so a huge delay seems unlikely unless there's an extreme circumstance which would lead it to air in Summer unless there's already something that's going to air in it's time slot which would cause further delay. Being most of the same people that worked on Senpai Ga Uzai, it looked consistent throughout with great quality but like that anime which dipped after the 1st episode, this one also has a chance of doing that, fingers crossed. Very wholesome all around, the bowling part was my favorite of the episode. Except the pathetic voice of the protagonist, I don't see much problem with this.
Apr 9, 2022 11:37 AM

Jan 2018
"Niko, let's go bowling"

So this is like a show where the boy is like a femboy but the girl is tough. Kind of cool gender reversal Ig. So far not a fan of Yuu, but his mom looks fine.

Is Shikimori supposed to be bipolar with her dual nature? Kawaii Shikimori and Kakkoi Shikimori being 2 separate personalities? Would be cool if that is the case.

Hope the rest of the episodes come out normally.
Nikolai_Yezhov said:
CAMERA EYES

Their eyes and hair are literally glowing all the time compared to the side characters. It's like diamonds interacting with stones, as if they aren't inhuman enough already lol.

No real plot of any kind in episode 1. I kinda saw this coming. They really placed everything on the Waifu huh.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the eyes look weird.
Apr 9, 2022 11:41 AM
Mar 2019
SHES SOOO DAMN COOL AND CUTE LIKE COME ONNNNNNNNNN.
Bruh If Marin from My Dress Up Darling wasn't enough,now we have an another contender.
Also I'm really surprised by this shows quality.The Opening is great but the Ending is probably my favourite of the year already.
I'm happy with a delay if it means the staff's safety and if they could give more time to the anime.
I'm really curious about his misfortune and why it's occurring.This is gonna be a pure slice of life which i can just relax too and I'm happy with that :)
"Niko let's go Bowling."
Apr 9, 2022 11:44 AM

Jul 2021
If nobody got me, I know Shikimori got me. Can I get an amen.
Apr 9, 2022 11:45 AM

Feb 2021
Very enjoyable first episode, character design and overall the visuals look pretty cool.

That OP and ED were really awesome too.
Apr 9, 2022 11:47 AM

Oct 2021
It's weird seeing a chill Bakugou in this anime.

May 2021
shikimori is very cute indeed, but izumi's mom tho... 🛐

Aug 2013
I have a feeling that spring 2022 will be a legendary season. So many great series.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 9, 2022 11:48 AM

Nov 2016
It's no surprise that people think anime is for cucks 😏

It's a nice start, dig the heroine. She's something different for a change.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2022 11:49 AM
Jul 2019
Lets gooooooooo Best girl has landed

Jun 2014
Damn I want a cool and badass gf like Shikimori that'll protect me all the time lol, but jokes aside, I like this so far. Feels very relaxed and wholesome.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 2015
Is there going to be an actual plot for this show, or is it one of those SOL shows where nothing really happens and we're just following the characters' random daily lives? Well, either way I'll continue watching this only cause I really like Shikimori's character design, but man, what's with all these shows where the girl is perfect in every way and the guy is plain as hell? Can't we have a power couple for once?

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 9, 2022 11:51 AM
Sep 2015
I like the way this anime challenge the gender expectation, usually boyfriend is expected to be protector and girlfriend is expected to be protected. Reminds me of.... Claymore, yes, Claymore.

Nobuhiko Okamoto tries his best not to sound like Bakugo, but Inuzuka is already look like him. In fact, I think the casting director intentionally hire Nobuhiko for this role.
Apr 9, 2022 11:52 AM

Jul 2015
The OP was pretty good.The relationship between Shikimori and Yuu was pretty cute.And Shikimori always saving Yuu was so cool.

Also the reactions of Shikimori was pretty funny.Hopefully the series will be good.

Apr 9, 2022 11:53 AM
Sep 2021
THIS WAS TOO GOD DAMN CUTE!! I know this will be one of my fav animes! The characters and background is just amazing. This didn’t disappoint at all so I can’t wait for the next ep:)
Apr 9, 2022 11:56 AM
May 2019
Didn't enjoyed it, the ML is your average lame guy and the FL is way too perfect, I'll give it few more episodes chance but definitely don't think I'm going to like this
Apr 9, 2022 11:57 AM

Dec 2018
A normal first episode. Don't know why but I'm kinda sleepy watching it. Those eyes pupils are so weird... and why majority the mother are hot but their husband are so old than the mother? Or he just the mc grandfather???
Izumi got a very bad luck and will always been protect by his GF.
Shikimori looks like a normal character... Is she really going to compete with Marin popularity....
The ED is so kawaii though!

Apr 9, 2022 12:17 PM

Jan 2009
Well... the ML is less of a wet noodle than the first episode makes him out to be. I'm convinced however that until this becomes apparent, many people hating beta characters will have jumped ship. Until then, enjoy Shikimori at least - who is quite the treat in both her forms ;)
Apr 9, 2022 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
Not sure what to think of it, the Shikimori seems a but to perfect and the main seems a bit to hesitant not to mention his luck.
The bowling part was funny tho.
Apr 9, 2022 12:25 PM
Jun 2021
Hmm this seems reaally troupe-y this far and I'm not a fan of the mc... I have to say I thought it was gonna be better, but I'll see how it goes
サンタクロース?そんなのいるはずがないのだ!馬鹿なのか?ーーあ、あれ?今年はクリスマスプレゼント抜きなのか?ま、待つのだ!ちょっと話すのだ!サンタクロースがもしかしたらいるかもしれないのだー!
Santa Claus? Are you dumb? There's no way something like that could... Huh? There's going to be coal in my stockings this year? W-wait! Let's discuss this! I'm sure there's some possibility that Santa is real!
-雪風様 (Yukikaze-sama)
Apr 9, 2022 12:30 PM
Mar 2021
The person below me is gay!
Apr 9, 2022 12:31 PM

Jul 2014
Interesting first episode. Shikimori’s character is like a hotpot of carefully chosen tropes and traits that makes what a waifu should be, perfectly blended together. They definitely know their target audience.

ED went crazy ngl.
Apr 9, 2022 12:31 PM

Sep 2021
I really like the OP, and the ED visuals were so cute, the chapter itself was good but as it seems it will not have a real plot and will be only random chapters.

The MC is kinda like a self insert protagonist, without a real personality, except the "Im a good person" type of protagonist so i will keep watching for shikimori.
Apr 9, 2022 12:34 PM

Oct 2013
An Ok first episode, the art style is nice but it seems they've put a lot of effort creating the main character rather than an interesting premise. It seemed like not much was going on, however I do want to give more of a chance.

Mommy Izumi thou.
Apr 9, 2022 12:35 PM

Sep 2020
Shikimori san is like cute+handsome? Really great episode!!! Both op and ed and amazing and cute~
Apr 9, 2022 12:39 PM
Jul 2019
Just wanted to say this. I personally like the male MC in this show, he ,may not be a standout but he fits he's purpose well and at least hes not a coward type Romance lead
Apr 9, 2022 12:39 PM
Jul 2019
Great soundtrack
Apr 9, 2022 12:41 PM

Jul 2011
I seen so much hype for this series, and wow...what a bland series.
Apr 9, 2022 12:41 PM
Mar 2022
It was really simple and good.
Apr 9, 2022 12:48 PM

Sep 2015
I had waited for this anime since August of last year, I was skeptical about the voice actor for Shikimori, but so far not bad at all! The soundtracks however I wished were better, but the opening is BEYOND my expectation it was very very good!

I like the animation in my opinion, ESPECIALLY Shikimoris eyes ! like DAMN!! Izumi's eyes are good too.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Apr 9, 2022 12:50 PM

Feb 2019
The worst thing about this show is the opening not because it's bad, though it is annoying, cloying J-Pop, but because it advertises a surreal crazy-ass fantasy full of well-animated crazy adventures while the actual show itself is pure Nice Guy wish fulfillment banality. Give me that other show. They go to a carnival and the whole thing is a Through the Looking Glass Parody, or an episode of spy action that he imagined for sports fest or whatever. I could absolutely watch that. But no. The protagonist's whole personality is that he has no personality, not that that keeps him from chewing up scenery like a cow with its cud. And here's the cute girl to dote all over him for absolutely no reason. No story or plot to speak of. Just twenty minutes of a girl fawning all over a dude.

This isn't a relationship. This isn't a story. These are caricatures, not characters, and not even the fun, neurotic ones like Yamada. The constantly cut to an explosion of sparkly background makes that clear. There doesn't need to be life threatening drama or evil monsters running around, but if you're not going to give anything any depth, even the barest conflict, the slightest tinge of development, growth, maturing, epiphany… you're damning yourself to nothing but superficiality. And there aren't any wacky gags or slapstick as you'd find in these kinds of shows of the long ago. As if the problem with the magic girlfriend shows of yore like DearS or Sekirei was too much story and zaniness.
Apr 9, 2022 12:52 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Eren pretty much dumped her, so Mikasa dyed her hair a bright cotton candy pink and put on some strikingly blue contacts and went and found another man for her to protect. And man does this guy need to be protected. At least he was able to go seven seconds or so before getting rekt by rock-kun

I'm glad they were at least able to get the first episode out before the rest gets delayed. At least we have something to hold on to for now, and we get a good idea of what to expect from now on. So far, nothing to really make me go "WOW".
BetaMaleUltraApr 9, 2022 12:56 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 9, 2022 12:57 PM
Jan 2021
Not bad. I just hope this dude isn’t a complete pushover and is able to something for Shikimori and himself
Apr 9, 2022 12:59 PM

Jul 2021
This is definitely something I'm going to be binging because the manga is very short in length and that gives me a slight skepticism about how they'll arrange all the sequence of events happening in the manga.

Anyways as expected by Doga Koba, the OP is very fantastic in it's visual and definitely a lot of symbolic moments here and there. Izumi falling over the rock was such a mood, I do think most male audiences would despise this show because of the depiction towards "the Female lead is stronger than Male lead" trope but still who doesn't wanna have a girlfriend who can protect you from getting isekai'd by truck-kun? Yeah, that's why I genuinely enjoy Shikimori for that sole reason.

What truly piques my interest with Izumi that I think not much Male Lead have the audacity to do so is that Izumi is also somewhat a person who accepts things, whether it'd be something good or a bad outcome awaiting him, he never really felt like there's a need to be exaggerated for such a long time, he's so straightforward I'm legit surprised by how he's not nervous over the guys actually, verbally, hurting him, almost like any weaker Male Lead would fall for. Also, I really love how Shikimori because of her masculine characteristic and a feminine outlook, I do wish to have a girlfriend (though I'm a girl) like her if I were a boy, at least the series is not oversexualizing her appearance tbh and she's consensual for the most part.

I love Shikimori's friends and you know why? because Hachimitsu is the best wing woman I need in my whole entire life, she may be sus but she got a poker face. Also, Bakugou's rip-off made me laugh my ass off but Inuzuka is a chill friend mhm mhm heck I also love Kyou because she's bright sunshine, lmao I even love the moments between the 3 of the girls cheering for Shikimori and OH YES HACHIMITSU SCORED FULL POINTS SHE IS THE BEST GIRL NO MORE ARGUMENTS ANYMORE jkjk every cast here is just likable though it's subjective for some.

CQLLISTApr 9, 2022 1:03 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 9, 2022 1:02 PM
Aug 2015
Cute start, but I don't think I'm interested to keep watching. I feel this would be...mostly boring and repetitive, and the guy will stay lame as he is. I feel this relationship will not progress much.. I don't mind him being misfortunate, I mind him being soft and one those shy guys, the same in many other animes.
I like the idea of the girl being more dominant in the relationship though, if I would understand why she cares for him. Maybe it comes later.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

173 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 10:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.