Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2022 1:55 PM
Aug 2016
Holy shit I got shivers down my spine! I knew what was coming, and still couldn't stop trembling. Everything was excellent, especially Grisha's part in the second half. It was perfect.

5/5
Jan 30, 2022 1:58 PM

Aug 2017
This is my favorite AoT episode... so far.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jan 30, 2022 1:59 PM

Jul 2017
KneelBeforeMe said:
Zprotu said:

he's kinda right about the fact that people have been actively looking for things done in a poor way ever since the studio change happened, and it's getting really annoying now
Not even WIT's adaptation was perfect, why are y'all complaining about people having valid criticism. Dear lord grow up. This guy rates the manga and anime 10s and whines if people docks points for valid reasons.

This right here. I skimmed his lists and 8.20, 9.06 mean scores don't exactly speak to a viewer capable of criticism.

I can't imagine for the life of me that you would react so childishly if I explained to you why I gave FMAB only a 5/10. The same goes for me if you were to criticize one of my favorite series.

Dealing well with opinions that don't match your own is part of anime rating after all. I love reading good reviews where counter-arguments are well elaborated.

@I_Am_Freeballing 's "foaming at the mouth" overreaction is still quite funny though :D

Emanon30Jan 30, 2022 2:36 PM
Jan 30, 2022 2:01 PM

Jun 2019

That face and the rumbling sound... Amazing episode. 10/10
Jan 30, 2022 2:03 PM

Jul 2017
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Emanon30 said:

Gleefully hating? Jesus, what a drama queen.
If a 6/10 is hate I don't want to see your childish overreactions over people's 4/10s.

It's coming in here acting surprised people like it and acting like your more critical opinion is somehow more grounded. 6 is perfectly fine, your reasons for 6 aren't.

I think your spectrum is a bit convoluted. 6/10 means fine. My views on image composition, staging and blocking don't support a 1/10. Is that so hard to understand?
Jan 30, 2022 2:03 PM

Jan 2020
Ayo, what the fuck did I just watch?

What is time in Attack on Titan? Who drives this story? Who started it? Will this make any sense? Who's the bad guy here? These are all questions I'm asking myself..

I don't think Attack on Titan has gotten this complex before, wow.

EDIT: I realized something. Since Grisha can see the memories of Eren, he was probably driven by his will to be free/his hatred towards the royals. Eren being there in the frame kind of tripped me into thinking that he was physically there with Grisha when he was about to take the lives of the royals, but not necessarily. However, I believe that Eren's rage was communicated to Grisha through the powers of the Attack Titan and the father was compelled by those emotions to do whatever he ended up doing. I'm literally just as shocked as Zeke right now. We have all been played by the Tatakae bastard lol.
samashi20Jan 30, 2022 2:37 PM
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 30, 2022 2:04 PM

Dec 2014
It's a good episode but it's getting kinda hard to suspend my disbelief with the way they are wrapping the plot around.

I get what's happening, Eren is the one who influences Grisha to take the path that he takes and we are seeing that happening right now as Zeke shows Eren Grisha's memories in order to to prove that he was brainwashed by Grisha. In truth, we somehow learn that Eren is the real mastermind, the Attack Titan somehow transcends time and users are able to view memories of the future inheritors of the Titan. So Grisha is driven to the path he took by none other that Eren who is the future inheritor of the Attack Titan. I guess this links into the name of the first episode as well.

Nevertheless, this whole concept feels rather paradoxical and ironical for reasons I will describe. Grisha only obtained the founding titan because of Eren's interference from the future, however Eren can only obtain the Attack Titan to create this interference if Grisha goes through with the plan and eventually passes it down to him. There's a two way dependency through time which creates a paradox here. If we are to somehow assume that these events are 'predestined' to happen the way we see it in the show, then this would mean Eren is incapable of ever achieving the freedom he wants because of the fact that everything that happened was predetermined making the entire show a contradiction to it's own theme of freedom.

Nevertheless I guess it's a good idea to not think too much of this and just move on and enjoy what we're given. Episode presentation was top notch as usual.
Lelouch0202Jan 30, 2022 2:12 PM
Jan 30, 2022 2:06 PM
Aug 2014
Seitaro11 said:
Kinda weird plot hole in this episode, unless it'll be cleared out later.

Grisha wants to stop Eren after killing Founder, but after that he transforms young Eren into a titan so that Grisha can get eaten by him.

I interpreted this quite differently. I think Grisha is conflicted about what Eren showed. He said something like "Do I really have to do this to save my family". So, he's probably in a state where Eren's plan is messed up "killing the children" but because of what memory Eren gave him he believes that this is the only course of action.

When he said to Zeke "Please stop Eren" that was his emotions speaking. But when he followed Eren's plan that was his logic side acting based on what Eren showed him.

I don't consider this a plot-hole because I think it is reasonable for someone in Grisha shoes to be conflicted and acting in a way that seems contradictory but in fact it is very human-like.
Jan 30, 2022 2:07 PM

Jul 2017
256k said:
The good thing about Mappa redrawing the chapter 1 scenes, is that they didnt fucked up the most important part like WIT did, but hey, keep praising WIT, there's still a BIGGER mistake to see, and that one will affect only to anime viewers thanks to WIT and their crappy adaptation

Haythemdbara said:
just a humble question why was grisha clearly looking at the old eren while addressing to the younger one in this scene? i checked the original scene from the first episode but grisha's face didn't even show

It is shown, as a mistake, for just 1 second, Grisha looks to kid Eren on WIT adaptation, then the scene of the key appears

What about the Mikasa dream panel in chapter 1? That was also omitted in WIT's adaption and plays a crucial part later on.
Jan 30, 2022 2:07 PM

Aug 2021
Attack on Titan is the Best Anime in History, is there still anyone objecting?

Jan 30, 2022 2:08 PM

Oct 2017
Damn! Grisha’s VA did a fantastic job in the second half of the episode!
Jan 30, 2022 2:08 PM
Sep 2013
@Emanon30 Didn't wanted to say what you just said on purpose, but yes, that's the scene i'm saying ^^U
I'm not english, i'm spanish, so sorry for my mistakes when i write D:

I figured out the ending of Shingeki no Kyojin back in 2014 :)
Jan 30, 2022 2:09 PM

Apr 2015
This episode completely shocked me, So all along it was actually Eren who was telling Grisha to do what he did?!
If so, Then everything that happened was all orchestrated by Eren since the start. I'm still trying to grasp it, Its such a baffling twist.
Jan 30, 2022 2:09 PM
Jul 2014
mydaddy said:
So in order to avoid any confusion regarding the time travel mechanics, I will break down what type of Time travel we're dealing with here.

AOT operates by a particular type of time travel where it's almost impossible to change the past even if you somehow go back in time. And any change that you tried to cause was always meant to happen in the overall timeline. Here time is a fixed circle, not a stream. We may see Eren meddle in the past but that was always meant to happen. This calls into the question of the existence of free will in the world of Attack of Titan.

The Attack Titan's ability is to receive the memories of its future inheritors. This was hinted when Kruger mentioned Mikasa and Armin towards the end of S3. Keep in mind, they can only view these memories but can't interact with them. So how was Eren able to meddle in the past?

Well, he had 3 perfect conditions:

1) He had the ability of the Attack Titan
2) The ability of the Founding Titan
3) He was also in contact with someone with royal blood AKA Zeke.

After Zeke tapped Eren's head, they were able to view Grisha's past memories with Eren using the power of the coordinate. They were freely able to view the past as if it were through a one way mirror.

Now if Eren had any other Titan other than the Attack Titan, he would only be able to look. But since Attack Titan can see forward in time, Grisha can use this to see Eren's recollection of the same event that he's currently experiencing in real time.

So this mean that whenever Grisha can see or hear Eren, he's actually recieving a brief future memory from Eren's POV where he can see out of his eyes and hear his words. That means he is seeing himself from a 3rd perspective. Then if he responds, his response is simply part of the memory that Eren/Zeke are viewing, allowing for a two way communication through time.

Also Note that everytime, Grisha sees Zeke, Eren is always standing behind his dad. So whenever Grisha sees Zeke, it is from actually due to the memories from Eren's POV

I’m not going to let this post be ignored. Thank you for the explanation! I’m not going to lie, I’m enjoying the ride but I was a little confused at some aspects. This makes things a little clearer.
Jan 30, 2022 2:11 PM

Jul 2017
Bowman145 said:
Damn! Grisha’s VA did a fantastic job in the second half of the episode!

Hard agree. But Grisha's vocie acting was even before top notch. Remember his scream at Zeke's dissapointing military performance?
Jan 30, 2022 2:13 PM

Jul 2017
256k said:
@Emanon30 Didn't wanted to say what you just said on purpose, but yes, that's the scene i'm saying ^^U

Got you. I think I was ominous enough. Since WIT skipped it in the first episode, I think MAPPA has to correct that. At least I hope they will.
Jan 30, 2022 2:15 PM

Jul 2019
Well, how can i say it.... the episode itself was incredible (duh) but the animation/art really ruined my enjoyment, especially in the second half, Eren and Grisha looked really weird most of the time.

This might be the first season 4 episode which i struggled to like, part 1 never had issues like this.

It's a shame since this is one of my favourite manga chapters but what's done is done.

On a more positive note the preview looks actually pretty good.
Jan 30, 2022 2:18 PM

Jun 2020
Never liked this plot twist tbh, story was fine without it and adding time magic does nothing but mess up a story. Glad other people like it tho, they adapted it really well
Jan 30, 2022 2:20 PM

Feb 2017
wow each episode is getting better and better!!! (while also feeling shorter and shorter in length lol)

so shocked to hear that the attack titan's power is to see into the future, like holy cow??????? this whole time????? grisha could see/hear future eren????? so eren had basically been the mastermind this whole time???? this whole time???????????????

im itching to rewatch the series from the start because ive forgotten so much stuff and from what ive read in other comments, theyve been hinting at stuff in past seasons (which has usually just gone over my head)

placeholder text
Jan 30, 2022 2:22 PM
Sep 2013
amagirinomikoto said:
wow each episode is getting better and better!!! (while also feeling shorter and shorter in length lol)

so shocked to hear that the attack titan's power is to see into the future, like holy cow??????? this whole time????? grisha could see/hear future eren????? so eren had basically been the mastermind this whole time???? this whole time???????????????

im itching to rewatch the series from the start because ive forgotten so much stuff and from what ive read in other comments, theyve been hinting at stuff in past seasons (which has usually just gone over my head)

Make yourself a favour, instead of doing that, read at least the chapter 1 of the manga, you'll thank me later, WIT fucked up the most important thing as i proved a few post before you
I'm not english, i'm spanish, so sorry for my mistakes when i write D:

I figured out the ending of Shingeki no Kyojin back in 2014 :)
Jan 30, 2022 2:24 PM

Sep 2019
Almost cried when grisha told zeke he loved him...
Jan 30, 2022 2:25 PM

Feb 2017
256k said:
amagirinomikoto said:

Make yourself a favour, instead of doing that, read at least the chapter 1 of the manga, you'll thank me later, WIT fucked up the most important thing as i proved a few post before you

funnily enough, i was actually just considering going and reading the beginning of the manga! will definitely go read the first chapter now that you said so! :)

placeholder text
Jan 30, 2022 2:26 PM

Feb 2014
TATAKAE. Eren revolution!!
Guy did the timeline dirty.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 30, 2022 2:27 PM

Oct 2020
Emanon30 said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:

It's coming in here acting surprised people like it and acting like your more critical opinion is somehow more grounded. 6 is perfectly fine, your reasons for 6 aren't.

I think your spectrum is a bit convoluted. 6/10 means fine. My views on image composition, staging and blocking don't support a 1/10. Is that so hard to understand?

6/10 is fine? Did you read that in a MAL guidebook? My spectrum is convoluted? More like you're following the textbook scoring. Anything from 1-7 is trash in reality. Noone actually cares for the nuanced differences between a 4 and 5 or between a 5 and 6. You think someone looks at a series with a score of 6 and goes: ''Oh, this is fine. Might as well check it out.''?

I still stand by what I said in my original post. You're scoring this as if you were a judge, and a one not easily impressed at that. Which is fine and all but don't come in here and be like ''Oh my God what is all this praise for something I clearly view as 'fine'? Surely everyone must be making a mistake. These people rating it a 10 lack critical skills. Ew.''

No, I recognize the episode has flaws, but I still rate it a 10 because it still deserves it in my mind despite said flaws. Rating it a 6 is fine, but stop acting as if your judgment of the series is superior to others. That's what triggered me.
Jan 30, 2022 2:27 PM

Sep 2020
OMG this episode was nothing but amazing!!! Truly did justice to the manga. 1000/10

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
Jan 30, 2022 2:32 PM

Aug 2018
The chapter starts off quiet, but then...DAMN.
Very good chapter
Jan 30, 2022 2:35 PM

Jul 2017
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Emanon30 said:

6/10 is fine? Did you read that in a MAL guidebook? My spectrum is convoluted? More like you're following the textbook scoring. Anything from 1-7 is trash in reality. Noone actually cares for the nuanced differences between a 4 and 5 or between a 5 and 6. You think someone looks at a series with a score of 6 and goes: ''Oh, this is fine. Might as well check it out.''?

I still stand by what I said in my original post. You're scoring this as if you were a judge, and a one not easily impressed at that. Which is fine and all but don't come in here and be like ''Oh my God what is all this praise for something I clearly view as 'fine'? Surely everyone must be making a mistake. These people rating it a 10 lack critical skills. Ew.''

No, I recognize the episode has flaws, but I still rate it a 10 because it still deserves it in my mind despite said flaws. Rating it a 6 is fine, but stop acting as if your judgment of the series is superior to others. That's what triggered me.

Ah, the "7 is actually average" argument. Oh boy...

"That's what triggered me." Yeah, we can tell you're really triggered.

From "My spectrum is convoluted?" to "Anything from 1-7 is trash in reality".
Hilarious :D

Let me go back and change my 8/10 for the manga, and my 10/10 for Part 2 of Season 3 to a 1/10 like you suggested earlier^^
Jan 30, 2022 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
There has never been and never will be a show as good as AOT.
End Zionazism
Jan 30, 2022 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
I just started to hate Eren in the last season / in the manga at this point, where part 1 of the last season begins. Although I really don't want to and try to see things from his perspective or tell myself in the end his feelings for his friends at least weren't fake, it still doesn't change that.
Jan 30, 2022 2:40 PM

Oct 2020
Emanon30 said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:

Let me go back and change my 8/10 for the manga, and my 10/10 for Part 2 of Season 3 to a 1/10 like you suggested earlier^^

Just make sure to calculate everything so you don't make a mistake in rating. This is official business after all. Wouldn't want you mistakenly rating this season a 7. That would make it a whooping 'good'.
Jan 30, 2022 2:41 PM
Dec 2021
Awesome, very emotional. I’ve been fighting the urge to just finish out with the manga but I think I’ll hold on and appreciate the suspense
Jan 30, 2022 2:41 PM

Jul 2017
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Emanon30 said:

Just make sure to calculate everything so you don't make a mistake in rating. This is official business after all. Wouldn't want you mistakenly rating this season a 7. That would make it a whooping 'good'.

You're so salty :DD

Your assumptions and strawman arguments are pretty cute.
Jan 30, 2022 2:44 PM
May 2021
GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT
Jan 30, 2022 2:46 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't really care for the last couple episodes much since I'm not much of a fan of anything past the S3P2 point in both anime and manga with the direction of the story, but MAPPA did a solid job with executing these two episodes at least for most anime-only fans to enjoy. My mates watching this episode online with me who were anime-onlys were pretty hyped and emotional overall surrounding me so they did their job in that aspect and it mostly worked. I don't have much to add on the matter myself but for the people surrounding me who didn't read the manga at all, it was nice seeing them be that invested in the last 2 episodes together.
Jan 30, 2022 2:47 PM

Aug 2015
One word: "Amazing"

So great to finally see it animated.

OUTSTANDING VOICE ACTING BY GRISHA'S VA, SO GOOOOOD!!

#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Jan 30, 2022 2:51 PM

Jun 2013
So they copied the whole plot twist from Interstellar. Wow, Isayama is a great mangaka.
Jan 30, 2022 2:53 PM
Dec 2020
Lelouch0202 said:
It's a good episode but it's getting kinda hard to suspend my disbelief with the way they are wrapping the plot around.

I get what's happening, Eren is the one who influences Grisha to take the path that he takes and we are seeing that happening right now as Zeke shows Eren Grisha's memories in order to to prove that he was brainwashed by Grisha. In truth, we somehow learn that Eren is the real mastermind, the Attack Titan somehow transcends time and users are able to view memories of the future inheritors of the Titan. So Grisha is driven to the path he took by none other that Eren who is the future inheritor of the Attack Titan. I guess this links into the name of the first episode as well.

Nevertheless, this whole concept feels rather paradoxical and ironical for reasons I will describe. Grisha only obtained the founding titan because of Eren's interference from the future, however Eren can only obtain the Attack Titan to create this interference if Grisha goes through with the plan and eventually passes it down to him. There's a two way dependency through time which creates a paradox here. If we are to somehow assume that these events are 'predestined' to happen the way we see it in the show, then this would mean Eren is incapable of ever achieving the freedom he wants because of the fact that everything that happened was predetermined making the entire show a contradiction to it's own theme of freedom.

Nevertheless I guess it's a good idea to not think too much of this and just move on and enjoy what we're given. Episode presentation was top notch as usual.

I think that's the point of Eren's character. It's paradoxical. Eren is someone who strives the most for freedom. And yet he is the one who can never truly be free.
His future and his actions were predetermined. And by none other than himself.

That's the kind of ironic/hypocritical nature of Eren's character. Some people say that he is a slave to his wish for freedom. His strive for freedom is so strong that he essentially enslaved himself to a fixed life that will always lead him to the same results.

And trust me. It doesn't really contradict the themes of the story. By the end, it really pays off.
Jan 30, 2022 2:54 PM

Oct 2020
Rhaegar0 said:
So they copied the whole plot twist from Interstellar. Wow, Isayama is a great mangaka.

No, they copied it from DARK.
Jan 30, 2022 2:56 PM
Jul 2021
Wow what a time to be alive.
Jan 30, 2022 3:00 PM
Jul 2021
Damnit I was so happy to get some answers/insight but now I'm even MORE confused! How could he touch/see Zeke and Eren? Did Eren actually interact with him or was that Grisha just seeing Future Eren's memories of everything? And last week when Eren was "tricked" did he actually know everything that was going to happen? Or does he only see bits and pieces like how Grisha said "Why won't you show me everything?"
Jan 30, 2022 3:01 PM
Jan 2022
This Is the best aot plot twist Along with basement reveal ,damn my top 1 aot episode to date.
Jan 30, 2022 3:19 PM

May 2018
Damn that was one hell of an episode. Eren really is a dark manipulator after all
Jan 30, 2022 3:22 PM

Jun 2013
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Rhaegar0 said:

No, they copied it from DARK.

Thanks for spoiling, I haven't watched Dark yet, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Jan 30, 2022 3:24 PM

Sep 2016
Rhaegar0 said:

Thanks for spoiling, I haven't watched Interstellar yet, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Jan 30, 2022 3:24 PM

Jan 2021
Holy sh*t, this episode looked like ass, in some parts it was downright comical and i almost laughed, that's how bad it was. I guess you could say Mappa outdid itself this time.

It's crazy how so many people fail to see the extremely awkward presentation of this episode, not even the first part was this bad, how could they let such talentless hacks direct this anime is beyond me, what a disgrace.
Jan 30, 2022 3:26 PM

Mar 2020
Eren be pulling the reverse cards real hard in last parts of episode, i suppose the shit is gonna get real from now on.

Also is just me that thought frieda is eren the first time she appeared this ep?
Jan 30, 2022 3:27 PM

Mar 2021
After last week's directorial tour de force this felt like a bit of a step backwards if I'm being honest, strictly from an adaptational standpoint. Lots of still frames and rather bland staging in the first 16 or so minutes. Luckily, the content is still strong enough on its own to carry the episode through. Grisha's voice actor steals the spotlight once again, elevating his breakdown scene beyond what the manga was able to convey. Great stuff.

I'm very disappointed by how they handled the hand-kiss, however. The way it's framed in the manga makes it an ominous, ever looming presence juxtaposed on top of the murder of the royal family. The moment that solidified Eren's descent down this path, when he went from the boy in the first 3 seasons to the person we're witnessing right now. Here, it's given zero pomp and circumstance, a short glimpse that'll likely feel unimportant to anime-onlies. I have no doubt that Omine would've framed this scene with the gravity it demanded, considering the brilliant artistic touches and pacing he infused the previous episode with. This week's episode could've really used that kind of authorial intent to emphasize its dreamlike state and slow descent into nightmare.

That said, it was still a solid adaptation with some highlights towards the back half and a great episode by itself. That entire sequence from "stand up, dad" forwards was outstanding. Grisha's apology to Zeke hits much harder here than in the manga. Here's hoping that more of that energy carries through to the next episode, which should be the highlight of the season... Though I would argue a certain pair of chapters later on have even higher potential, but they're significantly more complicated to pull off, so let's hope Mappa's production pipeline doesn't crumble under its own weight again by then.
Jan 30, 2022 3:32 PM

Mar 2020
Haythemdbara said:
just a humble question why was grisha clearly looking at the old eren while addressing to the younger one in this scene? i checked the original scene from the first episode but grisha's face didn't even show

I think it was obvious enough, but i will mark it as spoiler just in case
Jan 30, 2022 3:45 PM
Dec 2019
Biggest reveal this episode was that zeke's belief that Eren was his father's puppet is completely wrong and that the murder of the royal family was done on Eren's command after communicating with grisha from the future. Grisha was eren's puppet not the other way around.
Jan 30, 2022 3:56 PM
May 2020
that episode was hella calm. eren is a menace for applying pressure on his own dad like that ahlie
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Isayama is a literal God of storytelling. ( 1 2 )

Piromysl - Jan 30, 2022

59 by Piromysl »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 3, 2022

540 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 9, 2022

451 by BlueSnow93 »»
May 9, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 20, 2022

430 by phantom346 »»
Apr 18, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 13, 2022

416 by goral »»
Apr 14, 4:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.