Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2008 12:20 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, Johan sure can mess with people's head.
Also, poor Richard, died when he was about to see his daughter T_T
Apr 20, 2008 10:33 PM

Feb 2008
Hahaha! Nice one making all of many threads! XD

Yeah, he's really messing with their heads.
Oct 14, 2008 4:15 AM

Feb 2008
Johan is probably the best villain I have ever seen. Holy shit.
Dec 2, 2008 7:46 PM

Nov 2008
Dammit. I could see it coming. Richard was getting too close to the truth, and he had to die. But dammit I was still mad that it happened. I liked Richard. I really did. He was a good guy.

Johan is a freaking asshole is what he is. He's just... evil. He's the epitome of evil.
Dec 26, 2008 12:17 PM

Jun 2008
Wow. Bloody amazing episode. I don't see the EXTREME evil shit you guys do but just wow. That episode, at the end was just beautiful. Felt almost euphoric. If only I had a bigger screen/dvds.
Mar 11, 2009 6:51 AM

Oct 2008
Good bye Richard. Come back Anna. Greeeeeat episode!!
Aug 11, 2009 8:31 AM

Jul 2009
It's amazing how Johan just slowly broke down Richard into a state of despair...he's one scary-ass character XD
Jan 29, 2010 12:10 PM

Sep 2009
So we finally see Johan's manipulations in action. He truly is amazing at that. It seems he is not able to just manipulate spontaneously. He did a lot of research and spying on Richard. And it was a shock to me that he died so quickly. I thought that Richard will surely stay around for like 10 episodes.
Did Johan see himself in Joos? The boy Richard killed while he was supposedly drunk. I mean, he replicated his life story while talking about Joos, even described emotions Johan himself should have had. Or was it only part of manipulation?
And as I expected, and written in last episodes discussion, Richard wanted to kill the boy. He was disgusted by the crimes done by Joos. And killed him, being sober, and now the guilt is tearing him apart, while starting to help on his investigation.
The doctors, Gillen and Reichwein, seem to be investigating Johan's case too. And what a breakthrough they had. Since current "solved" case explains Tenma having split personality, having Johan's picture proves that Johan is real and not inside Tenma's head. We should expect to see Runge soon.
No sig :(
Feb 15, 2010 1:54 PM

Nov 2009
omg this is getting better and better, johan its the most evil character i have ever seen he can kill someone without pointing a gun or a knife, he is just brilliant.
Feb 20, 2010 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
Brilliant! Oh my Zero
Johan sure is one of the best villains of animes.
Mar 8, 2010 4:17 PM

Jan 2010
Veronin said:
Johan is probably the best villain I have ever seen. Holy shit.

Seriously, so so this. His manipulation has made a place for him on my favorites list.
\
Jun 26, 2010 12:46 AM

May 2010
Jurgens stab in the head is way too horrible...

Johan is such an interesting villain to watch... Really evil ",..,"
Jul 6, 2010 4:39 AM

Aug 2009
Johan, such a wicked monster.

Really great episode, it's a shame about Richard though :(

Aug 11, 2010 2:13 PM
Sep 2008
;_;
Aug 28, 2010 8:54 PM

Mar 2010
Johan was great in this episode. I'm going to the next one!
Oct 11, 2010 5:17 PM

Jun 2009
If Richard did in fact shoot the kid in cold blood like Johan claims, then I think I agree with Johan in a sense. But, the ending scene with Johan was executed so brilliantly that it didn't even need to show Richard's death you knew after he said "Do You Want A Drink" what happened.

I never expected Johan to be focused on like he has recently, I always figured he'd be a behind the scenes kind of character. But, thank god he isn't. Because, he is slowly becoming a great character imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2010 7:41 PM

Mar 2010
well rich is died awe man thing got good

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 25, 2010 8:18 AM

Oct 2010
This is just like a horror movie that doesn't make any sense.
I mean really? Why you would open the door? And then follow him to who knows where?
Nov 30, 2010 5:08 PM

Nov 2009
^ The detective (already forgot his name >.>) knew NOTHING about Johan! He only suspected him and at the end he was convinced Johan was the culprit, but he didn't know how Johan kills people. He is a young, handsome boy and the detective is probably in his 40s, much stronger than him and thought if Johan tried to kill him, he'll prevail, but what he didn't know is the method of his killing - brainwashing, manipulating, killing with words. If i were him or you were him, i/you would follow him because i/you want to investigate him.
Jan 16, 2011 1:32 PM
Jun 2010
johans probably the most badass villan ive ever seen, so fucking badass
May 17, 2011 7:49 AM

Oct 2008
I saw it coming. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 13, 2011 12:10 PM

May 2009
Johan is so fucking badass.
Oct 16, 2011 11:59 AM

Jan 2011
This was a great episode. However, I think the weakest part of the episode is the whole sequence with Richard and Johan in the end. It wasn't believable for me. For an ex-cop, Richard seemed to have abandoned common sense for the convenience of the plot and fall into Johan's trap despite everything he already suspected about Johan.
Another thing, I don't get why all the cops in this story seem to be..er...ineffective. Richard was the only one that seemed to have some investigative/analytical sense. Lunge would probably be more effective if he wasn't so close minded. I thought any good investigator know that you must look at all the possibilities.
Taylor_elleOct 16, 2011 1:14 PM
Dec 18, 2011 8:53 PM

Apr 2010
Taylor_elle said:
This was a great episode. However, I think the weakest part of the episode is the whole sequence with Richard and Johan in the end. It wasn't believable for me. For an ex-cop, Richard seemed to have abandoned common sense for the convenience of the plot and fall into Johan's trap despite everything he already suspected about Johan.

this is just speculation but, no one could possibly predict that they would be viciously attacked mentally... i'm quite positive even P.I.'s carry a weapon with them, albeit with limitations as opposed to police, but he would most likely defend himself had he been in a pinch. but clearly he was not, in fact Johann was pretty much physically harmless the entire time he was with Richard.

at most, Richard was provoked by Johann in an attempt to anger him... but Johann, like i had mentioned, practically brutalized his mind til he snapped psychologically, having had information that was supposed to have been kept under the table. Johann is most definitely superior with mind games and manipulation by means of fear... such a brilliantly created villain
Feb 1, 2012 9:06 AM
Nov 2009
Shoryuuken said:
Johan is so fucking badass.

Pretty much this. He's also kind of an asshole.
Feb 1, 2012 9:07 AM
Dec 2011
Taylor_elle said:
Another thing, I don't get why all the cops in this story seem to be..er...ineffective. Richard was the only one that seemed to have some investigative/analytical sense. Lunge would probably be more effective if he wasn't so close minded. I thought any good investigator know that you must look at all the possibilities.

Totaly agree :3
Feb 21, 2012 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
Great episode.
Feb 28, 2012 9:29 PM

Mar 2009
It's so cool how Johan got him to kill himself.
Mar 14, 2012 11:10 AM

Mar 2010
johan is badass
Jun 1, 2012 5:54 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow. Johan is a master manipulator of people.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 15, 2012 11:57 PM
Jan 2012
Omg Johan is withoutadoubt one of the best Villains I've seen in anime EVER.
Seeing how he got into richards head like that was amazing.
Sep 14, 2012 4:23 AM

Jun 2009
Taylor_elle said:

This!

I hate when a show make clever characters seem retarded only to make the villain "badass" so ridiculous! and boring!

And I don't think Johan badass at all .. Richard was the second detective who find out about him, he uses his own name and leaves a huge trail wherever he goes, he is extremely flawed, solution? make all other characters look like dumbass weak minded! it is far from realistc and I hate it.
he is more flawed than Light ¬¬
I hope Gillen and Reichwein don't die...(but I bet they will, so Johan will look badass)

if this goes on like this, downplay good characters only to hype Johan... this serie for sure is hyper overrated!

Yes, Kircheis I'm frustrated
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2012 8:23 PM

May 2009
OH MAI GAWD ME AND JOHAN SHARE BIRTHDAYS
Sep 20, 2012 2:12 PM

Nov 2009
I feel bad for Richard, poor guy didn't deserve to die like that. Though now the two doctors are gonna meet unfavorable ends too aren't they, after all apparently nobody but Dr. Tenma can know about Johan.
Oct 14, 2012 4:58 PM

Feb 2011
My live commentary for the ending was as follows:
"Damn, Richard better not die before he gets to see his daughter."
"Oh crap, there's Johan."
"Richard, you idiot, don't fall for his talk."
"No, Richard, don't follow him up those stairs."
"Richard, you had better turn around and walk out that door."
"Richard! Damn it, Richard!"
*scene where police tell the doc Richard is dead*
Me: "Fuck!" *followed by a string of other profanities*

Seriously, I know Richard was in a ripe vulnerable state for psychological torture, but really? He managed to leave the glass of whiskey untouched an episode or so earlier, and he couldn't walk away from a guy he knew was dangerous? You disappointed me, Richard. RIP bro.
Nov 23, 2012 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
Johan is one brilliant villain. Poor Richard didn't even get to see his daughter.
Dec 18, 2012 12:45 AM

Feb 2012
OMG this episode.

About Episode:

It seemed like first Richard was looking clues for Johan I mean watching him closely and not so nice to see that Johan manipulate those children too saying things about conquering world and so on.

Also that Junger's part when Rudy was questioning him was really creepy just saying something like that "friend" had told him.

Also it was nice to see Johan's family I mean fosters and they seemed nice. They don't know though that their son Johan is bad man.

So real Johan Liebert is eliminated and someone is acting him. I wonder what happened really to him. Looks like we probably might get some answers in the next episode.

Seems like Johan can manipulate people by taking something from their past and remembering them about it and especially that bad part of the past. So know we now at least Johan don't use weapons but normally manipulates people by brainwashing them with things from pasts.

Exciting episode

5/5
Dec 23, 2012 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
Seems like Jonah is one manipulative son of a gun. That voice that ringed around half way in the episode was also quite disturbing to be fucking honest.
Jan 28, 2013 1:45 PM

Jan 2012
Johan is a sneaky bastard alright. Somebody should put him down for good. To bad his victims don't have balls to do it.

Feb 24, 2013 9:46 PM
Aug 2011
talking with Johan and then proceeding to follow him = not a good idea
Apr 16, 2013 8:43 AM

Aug 2012
Oh my..
I couldn't breath at the end of this episode..
Johann is so fucking interesting.. and it was so sad voor Richard, he finally could see his daugher..

5/5
Apr 17, 2013 9:15 AM

Mar 2013
Good episode lol....
Apr 19, 2013 4:12 PM

May 2010
Arrggggh this was the definitely the most tense episode yet. Clever writing.

Johan is definitely extremely evil.

.. Is it weird that there's just this tiny part of me that's not totally convinced that Kenzo is innocent? Just little niggling bits here and there.. I got reminded of it again when that serial killer guy coloured in the hair black on Johan's photo. 99% sure I'm wrong but there you go.
Apr 26, 2013 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
Poor Richard. The psychological pressure broke him.
May 23, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2012
Wtf. How does he solve the mystery of all the other murders in town, connect all the dots and conclude that everything points toward Johan, and yet he isn't the least bit skeptical when Johan shows up at his front door? Following the guy you suspect of murder into a dark building with nobody else around is brilliant.

Gee, he ain't no Sherlock that's for sure.
Jun 25, 2013 9:36 AM

Feb 2012
19maria9 said:
This is just like a horror movie that doesn't make any sense.
I mean really? Why you would open the door? And then follow him to who knows where?

Because you're a detective that needs to know more about Johan and because you have the pride to say "that man can't hurt me."

To the viewer, it's a foregone conclusion that Richard was going to die, but to Richard himself -- hardly!
CuriousThingJun 25, 2013 8:35 PM
Jul 30, 2013 8:54 AM

Jan 2013
This was an excellent episode.
I must say, to anyone who complains about the ending sequence being unrealistic, you don't know a thing about psychology.
Take some courses before you act like you know everything about a subject.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 19, 2013 2:49 AM
May 2012
What the fuck just happen!!!! I fell asleep halfway of the episode and I woke up after 2 hours and had to rewind the video I haven't even had lunch well I'm about to.

Johann you sly motherfucker he's about to see his daughter tomorrow yet you killed him well it's bound to happen I'm expecting it. I like how he can manipulate other people well I think I can do that in real life hehe.
Aug 20, 2013 5:53 AM

Mar 2013
Johann didn't even need to use a weapon, he used pure manipulation to reverse Richard's mentality. If it's really true what Richard did or not, holy shit.
Sep 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2013
I found it quite weird how Richard decided to follow him, even though he was pretty sure there was something wrong with him.

Yet he followed him through a street, up a tower onto a roof ...
Now it might be Johan messing with him, but Richard is (sorry was) kinda dumb in that regard.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.