Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 21, 2021 1:35 PM
Dec 2020
Vanitas man this anime is amazing man. The soundtrack is amazing too man like everything about this anime is beautiful. My favorite character is vanitas like his laugh bro it’s so funny. Vanitas his ability is op tho he got one of the best grimoires in anime fr tho. Vanitas get a Better girl man like she not for you. 😂. Can’t wait man for the rest.😂🔥❤️❤️👍🏻.
Jul 24, 2021 1:42 PM

Mar 2009
I wasn't aware I was watching Diabolik Lovers.
Jul 29, 2021 8:12 PM

Aug 2017
I didn't expect Vanitas to kiss Jeanne. This anime is so random lmao.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 30, 2021 5:11 PM
Mar 2018
That kiss scene between Vanitas and Jeanne really suacy. Really didn't expect Vanitas to go in like that.

Jul 30, 2021 5:11 PM
Mar 2018
That kiss scene between Vanitas and Jeanne really suacy. Really didn't expect Vanitas to go in like that.

Jul 31, 2021 10:57 AM
Apr 2020
I didn't read the manga but it's fairly obvious a lot has been cut out from the source material. There's practically no explanations for anything... Also the kiss threw me off, is nobody going to comment on how Vanitas is a horrible person for that? There's not a mention of it in the show afterwards?

I still enjoyed this episode.
Aug 1, 2021 12:30 PM

Mar 2013
I had this show rated highly, but I put it staright down to a 6 because of that forced kiss. Sexual Harassment is never a good plot device.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 2, 2021 3:35 AM
Mar 2021
Champyishere said:
I didn't read the manga but it's fairly obvious a lot has been cut out from the source material. There's practically no explanations for anything... Also the kiss threw me off, is nobody going to comment on how Vanitas is a horrible person for that? There's not a mention of it in the show afterwards?

I still enjoyed this episode.

Some characters will hate Vanitas for this and Luca will ask him to apologize to Jeanne later. This author always makes flawed characters and she always point it out by making other character say it.

As manga reader, I understand why Vanitas did that and if I want to understand why he did that before knowing his problem, then I will say:
Jeanne said Vanitas can do whatever he want as long as Luca is safe and Vanitas is doing exactly that, he did whatever he want to Jeanne.
But of course personally I don't like what he did.
Aug 10, 2021 10:20 AM

May 2021
The kiss scene surprised me, it seemed like Jeanne became helpless after being sexually assaulted by Vanitas LOL. btw I like how Jeanne's shy expression is when Vanitas kisses her.
Aug 10, 2021 9:58 PM

May 2021
The kiss scene is very satisfying. Bones do their job well, but it's a shame they cut off the fight between Jeanne and Noe.
Aug 12, 2021 2:34 AM

Apr 2015
Lots and lots of style.
Aug 13, 2021 6:40 AM
Aug 2021
Skyyy_ said:
episode was nice and all but i kinda hate it when they put a comedy skit in a serious situation :(

haha those are my favorite parts and one of the many reasons why this is becoming my favorite anime of this season
Aug 18, 2021 6:38 PM

Jul 2019
EeveeRosa said:
Snow_dropindo99 said:
it is needed to build a romance between the two later, and that is the beginning.

You didn't understand, I said the kiss was bizarre because they didn't have any chemistry, they didn't know each other before, and it seemed like the guy forced it, it was almost like a harassment, because he didn't even ask, it was totally one-sided, even if she liked it, it was just a consequence.

I mean, is it really so sad to kinda sexually harass the woman that fully tried to murder you 15 minutes ago

Even after the kid told her to not murder them she still went for it lmao
Aug 30, 2021 11:49 AM
Sep 2014
WTH. That was sexual harassment 101, and I want vanitas dead. Preferably after Jeanne tells him in detail how he is the worst. That "kiss" made me so uncomfortable I'll maybe drop. Does it get better? Does their relationship get anything else but a sadistic narcissist toying with a girl that obviously is not interested, but can't say no?
Aug 30, 2021 4:11 PM
Sep 2014
meyve said:
Spiralore said:
WTH. That was sexual harassment 101, and I want vanitas dead. Preferably after Jeanne tells him in detail how he is the worst. That "kiss" made me so uncomfortable I'll maybe drop. Does it get better? Does their relationship get anything else but a sadistic narcissist toying with a girl that obviously is not interested, but can't say no?

Yeah that was a sexual harrasment ngl but their relationship will develop. Not because Vanitas' actions, Jeanne hate how he teased and bother her and wanted the get rid of him so no, she wont fall for him because of that but they will fall for each other with good character developments

Good to hear... Maybe I will return to this in the end of the season then. Tnx
Sep 4, 2021 1:33 PM

Jul 2019
Oh la la, I knew Vanitas would kiss Jeanne. It was in this man's personality, his style is frivolous for sure wow. What an interesting person.

Then we go onto some more exposition and other shit that leads the duo into Altus. Well, let's see what happens next.
Sep 8, 2021 6:14 AM

Oct 2015
Rojaseb said:

I mean, is it really so sad to kinda sexually harass the woman that fully tried to murder you 15 minutes ago

Uhh, yes? Also it's not "kinda sexually harass", it's clear assault.

Misunderstanding or no, the reason she tried to take away the book of Vanitas by any means necessary was a well-intentioned one. There is no well-intentioned reason to sexually assault someone who isn't even a threat and is immobilized. Not to say being a threat warrants it, but this is even worse.

I do hope they don't build romance on top of that. Jesus.
Sep 8, 2021 6:23 AM

Jul 2019
Auron_ said:
Rojaseb said:

Misunderstanding or no, the reason she tried to take away the book of Vanitas by any means necessary was a well-intentioned one. There is no well-intentioned reason to sexually assault someone who isn't even a threat and is immobilized. Not to say being a threat warrants it, but this is even worse.

How is she not a threat if she tried to murder him

Also they do build a romance, as you could probably tell by how much she liked the kiss. Which is unfortunate since it was forceful but at least it was just a kiss. I've seen worse in manga.
Sep 8, 2021 6:53 AM

Oct 2015
Rojaseb said:
Auron_ said:

Also they do build a romance, as you could probably tell by how much she liked the kiss. Which is unfortunate since it was forceful but at least it was just a kiss. I've seen worse in manga.

She's poisoned, has trouble moving, and surrendered because the boy is held hostage. That's textbook being incapacitated. This is true in real life too. If an assailant attacks you, but is then defeated by you and restrained, you don't get to do whatever you wish with them because they posed a threat to you at one point.

No, I really couldn't tell.
Sep 8, 2021 7:02 AM

Jul 2019
Auron_ said:
Rojaseb said:

She's poisoned, has trouble moving, and surrendered because the boy is held hostage. That's textbook being incapacitated. This is true in real life too. If an assailant attacks you, but is then defeated by you and restrained, you don't get to do whatever you wish with them because they posed a threat to you at one point.

This is a fantasy world, attacking people doesn't mean the same to them as it means to us. Why are you applying XXI century logic to a world with vampires and superpowers.

Also the fact that you're ignoring this woman is a mass murderer just because she got kissed against her will is so dumb. Anyways, done talking with you after this.
Sep 8, 2021 7:32 AM

Oct 2015
Rojaseb said:
Auron_ said:

This is a fantasy world, attacking people doesn't mean the same to them as it means to us. Why are you applying XXI century logic to a world with vampires and superpowers.

Also the fact that you're ignoring this woman is a mass murderer just because she got kissed against her will is so dumb. Anyways, done talking with you after this.

It is a fictional work created by an author to appeal to people in the real world. Of course it's going to take into consideration real world sensibilities. Being fictitious or fantastical doesn't mean the characters' motivations and morality are utterly alien to the consumer. If that were so, nobody would consume fiction, since they wouldn't be able to connect to it. Berserk is fantastical, doesn't preclude you from being able to assess Griffith's character or actions. Or Redo of Healer with Keyaru.

What relevance does her character have on whether it is right that she be sexually assaulted? I hesitate to ask what you think should be the treatment of criminals...
Sep 11, 2021 5:14 AM

May 2015
Omg, just when I thought how cool it would be if Vanitas kissed her there and then, and prepared for it to stay as my fantasy only he actually did it!

Great series so far. It has such a nice feel to it and a relatively interesting story too. I like the characters and animation very much as well.
Sep 12, 2021 1:06 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow, the big kiss scene with Jeanne xD and that Dominique girl also looks interesting, same for the alternate city.
Sep 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Jan 2021
I have so much mixed feelings on the kiss.
It looks a very forced.
But i guess it’s too early to judge.
Sep 24, 2021 10:14 PM

Sep 2020
mfw after the kiss scene:

Oct 27, 2021 6:29 PM

Oct 2019
A very good, impressively drawn and animated episode that was unfortunately marred by that kiss. I do not have a problem with the kiss itself. I realize it was meant to convey that Vanitas is a perverted, morally compromised creep at best (I wonder if that's why Noé 'slays' him at the end).
What I had a problem with was the lack of any actual protest from all the other witnesses of the kiss. They were 'shocked' ... and that was it, they moved on like nothing happened.

At the very least we found out who/what causes the curses, and at the end we saw the 'Altus Paris', which was truly a sight to behold, though I did not quite get what that roof / sky(?) above it was supposed to be and/or made of. I read that episode 5 serves as kind of test on whether one should continue this anime or not. So I'm moving on to watch the next two episodes while I have supper.

xershey said:
I have so much mixed feelings on the kiss.
It looks a very forced.
But i guess it’s too early to judge.

It was not merely 'forced', it was a sexual assault. In the real world at least. Even for anime standards it was way too creepy. Was the kiss fair game because the 'vampire witch' tried to kill Vanitas and Noe? You know, as a kind of 'compensation'? I have no idea but I suspect that Vanitas did not kiss her due to that.
SharpedonOct 27, 2021 6:35 PM
Nov 1, 2021 11:16 PM

Mar 2014
Yeah I'm on the side of "that was assault and made me uncomfortable" in this debate. Highlighted how Vanitas may have a ton of flair but he really is a huge jerk, ugh.

The worldbuilding was nice though. Learned a lot about Noé. Bloodreading huh... good excuse for some more bite scenes... 😳
Nov 22, 2021 1:37 AM
Jul 2021
that kiss had me dumbfounded- also its the clip that encouraged me to watch this anime in the first place so i’m glad i found it.
ALSO SO MUCH HAPPENED IN THIS EPISODE IT MADE ME CRY FROM SHEER OVERLOAD?

main interest points:
- noé’s powers. whoa.
- charlatan seems horrifying(-ly interesting)
- domi. i love her, but it seems she knows more about vanitas than we do~ and were those mind control powers she used?
- altus paris looks awesome
- noé seems to know a lot of powerful people,
- the archiviste’s (i am INTRIGUED)
Feb 13, 2022 4:07 PM

May 2021
Oof, that was on heck of a kiss, leaving aside the circumstances. Still, Domi putting a collar on Noe like that, she's definitely dominating.

Mar 20, 2022 11:16 PM

Apr 2020
Yo Vanitas, I'm so glad there's romance in this lol
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 23, 2022 5:45 AM

Apr 2021
Any vampire tale is only as good as its lore. Thankfully, Vanitas no Carte's does not suffer from the conventional tales and stories associated with vampires.
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Apr 17, 2022 8:18 PM

Jul 2013
So is the vampire world is just the reverse-normal world that is exclusively for vampires? How did that even come to be? Is there an Altus Asia or something lol
Apr 24, 2022 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
To think Vanitas was that smooth by going from being the prey to become the hunter with how he stole that kiss from poor Jeanne.

Jun 18, 2022 5:23 AM

Mar 2013
Vanitas really is great at coming up with beautiful poetry just to, probably coincidental, to make a girl fall in love... but he seriously did that huh... lol

Domi is kind of a sadist... Wait... Domi...? Like S = Domi and M = Noé...?! lmao
They really added that Childhood friend stuff but I guess she will be shipped with Noe
And Jeanne for Vanitas... umu...
CrazyButNot4UJun 18, 2022 5:56 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 4, 2022 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
I love this anime more and more each episode
Aug 7, 2022 12:33 PM

Jul 2022
my jaw is on the floor....... this episode caught me off guard ngl
Mar 11, 2023 10:38 PM
May 2021
That kiss honestly seemed like forced fanservice and signs of rushed future romantic development.
May 2, 2023 7:32 AM

Nov 2022
That kiss was too intense and long, bro made a vampire out of breath. And that kid has a crush on Jeanne for sure. And the background music was great too.
Aug 16, 2023 5:03 AM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
Mariasz said:
Snow_dropindo99 said:
it is needed to build a romance between the two later, and that is the beginning.

You didn't understand, I said the kiss was bizarre because they didn't have any chemistry, they didn't know each other before, and it seemed like the guy forced it, it was almost like a harassment, because he didn't even ask, it was totally one-sided, even if she liked it, it was just a consequence.
Yeah... agreed. That was so uncomfortable to watch.

Sad to see that this show didn't live up to the expectations, episode 1 was fine but everything after that gradually went downhill ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Aug 17, 2023 4:51 AM
Jul 2023
Don't remember much about the show (since I dropped it after this episode) but I freaking hate the Vanitas kissing Jeanne aka literally SEXUAL ASSAULT
Dec 6, 2023 5:12 AM

Oct 2022
The show has started to delve deeper and darker into the fear and history of the oppressed Blue Vampire species. The red vampires who've witnessed the power of the Book of Vanitas are still skeptical of its curing abilities, But this calls only for a short period after the successor Vanitas displayed its power to the overseers, I'm sure he's proud of making this revelation among many ignorant I'm sure hehe~ Noe is a character really required for this, he adds extra spice to the show imo. I'm really psyched for the next one now!

And sheesh the kiss scene was rather unexpected.
"All things, be they divine or mortal, find their ultimate end. 
                      It is not a harsh punishment, but a merciful pardon."

Mar 25, 7:06 PM
Dec 2022
Vanitas WHAR BRO IS WILD
silly parade
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Jan 2020
Jeanne was really pathetic.

She couldn't even kill the two when she still had killing intent in episode 2.
Now she almost wets herself when Vanitas intimidates her a little.

Did she fight 1000 vampire toddlers in the war? Or are ordinary vampires really that weak?

Why hype up a character, when they immediately go down like chumps? This doesn't make Vanitas seem more competent, it makes everyone else seem less competent.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.