Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 18, 2021 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not going to lie, I thought the performance in the opening minutes of this episode felt surreal. Setsu didn't let his past hold him back and played with his heart.

Idk if Setsu truly rediscovered himself again but he should be proud of his work. I'm sure Umeko is too. An interesting way to conclude the show imo as it showcased how much Setsu's passion for music has grown again. Quite an interesting ending.

Definitely one of the underrated anime of this season.
Jun 18, 2021 10:54 AM

Jul 2017
Of course, you had to insert in the 1st OP because we've reached the end of the anime adaptation.

Setsu's skills are as immaculate as his playing of his Gramps's song "Matsugorou", going back to the roots of why Setsu has an interest in playing the Tsugaru-shamisen in the first place, and delivering such a jaw-dropping performance. Playing his sound for the people and having fun, Setsu's definitely released his burden, but to Aunt Umeko, she is a bitch relative for desiring nothing but the ABSOLUTE BEST. Even to his rivals, the expectations thereafter are high.

Even Tanuma Souichi delivers a stellar performance...though from the outsiders' view, he's a total monster behind the Tsugaru-shamisen. You can tell by the intensity of the playing that just rocks the entire body to oblivion, and that's on top of the fact that his performance JUST CLICKS amidst the complicatedness.

Even if Tanuma meant to tease Setsu about his playing, the fact that Setsu got 3rd place in the individuals' division, it made the competition look more of a joke than the group competition, much less Tanuma getting an almost-perfect 1st place with barely any competition, and of course, whom none other than Aunt Umeko who's disappointed with the results and making a scene with purposely dropping Setsu's award onstage just to humiliate him.

Even Kamiki Seiryuu and Setsu's biolgical dad Ryuugen getting in on the humiliation to shut down Setsu, it just feels like whatever Setsu plays, it can be easily surpassed right now. The ride from the start of the show has been nothing but a disgrace to Setsu, who came home, and cast his Tsugaru-shamisen aside...to an open ending for his Gramps to bring him interest again to create his own sound.

Hmm, very good show, but not great.
KANLen09Jun 18, 2021 12:43 PM
Jun 18, 2021 11:03 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I expected him to not win given that he was not the final performer though I am surprised with how it played out, did like the ending and would say this was a fairly solid anime all things considered.
Jun 18, 2021 11:56 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This anime is a special case for me, I really liked the story and the character development but absolutely hated the shamisen to the point that I had the fast-forward or skip all the moments they played it, it's probably my least favorite music instrument ever.. anyway I still enjoyed it and I think the writing is pretty good with all the drama (especially the family one I would say) but I wish it was about a different instrument xD
Jun 18, 2021 12:13 PM

Jun 2019
Aye... the old OP is back for the final episode. I missed this so much. As for the episode, Setsu gave an amazing performance which left the whole auditorium in shock. Everyone was cheering for him but then comes Soucihi's performance which left Setsu's performance into dust.

Setsu couldn't win the competition and took 3rd place overall but the frustration of not winning this thing left him in shambles. Everyone was blaming him for not playing the sound they wanted to hear, especially his parents. Man... what's wrong with experimenting with your own sound. It was so frustrating to see and seeing Setsu cry like that made me emotional as well.

He really tried so hard and what did he get after all that, just the accusations of so many. To live in the world of sound, you need to learn and understand the sound. But, after all that, everyone knows of his potential and what he can achieve from his sound alone. Overall, an amazing show. I loved it as a music nerd. Maybe we'll see something in another season if we're lucky enough. Still one of the most underrated anime of this season.
Jun 18, 2021 12:17 PM
Sep 2015
I don't feel like this is the final episode at all. Too many unresolved situation. And Setsu's mother actually add fuel to the fire (though I like this kind of over-the-top drama). While the tournament is different from other anime because everyone is playing the same song, but if the anime is the song, then it's an unfinished song with unknown length.
Jun 18, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't expect him to win. This was a bad final episode, imo.
Jun 18, 2021 12:22 PM

Dec 2020
clap clap CLAP. that was a great final performance from setsu, even the animation couldn't keep up with his fast fingers.

setsu got beaten by the arakawa guy? FUCKING HIM?3!_($( getting third was cool but having arakawa beating him makes my blood boil but the reasoning was . Sigh. made sense i guess. meiko dropping the trophy and insulting him was awful tho what kind of mother is she? everyone's being so mean to setsu after the ceremony lmao umeko, his dad, glasses guy. man's cant catch a break

very much enjoyed this show, wasnt great but it was really nice. loved every shamisen performance and absolutely despise umeko. ill miss this show, interested in the story but i dont think im That into it where ill catch up with the manga. will definitely watch the second season if there'll ever been one tho
Jun 18, 2021 12:24 PM
Jan 2021
I never thought that it was the end of this series
Many things haven't been resolved
And sadly i can't find the manga in my country and on websites
This anime really so underrated, only this anime that i waited a whole week just to watch 24 minutes video
Hope that there will be a second season of this
Jun 18, 2021 12:29 PM
Jul 2020
i love this anime so much but im disappointed with the last episode tbh. his ass father, his idiot mother, everyone wanted to control him. the moment when arakawa guy win over setsu is just-i just hate it, arakawa guy is annoying af. i rate 8/10 bfr and gonna change to 7/10. just cannot accept it all. the ending is so rush.
Jun 18, 2021 12:30 PM
Mar 2013
I feel really conflicted about this episode, I both like that Sawamura didn't win and clearly has room to grow and improve (hopefully we'll get a sequel to show this), yet at the same time, I feel super disappointed in how short the final performances were. I get that Mashiro no Oto is not purely about the music, but also about the drama (which it does do surprisingly well, most of the time), however, it really does feel like a letdown when the final two performances that I had been so hyped about for weeks end up being fairly weak overall.

Not only did Sawamura's performance get split over two episodes, but the first half was constantly being overshadowed by piano music. Not only that but the second half of his performance (and Souichi's for that matter) seem to have had their audio mixed vastly differently from all of the other performances in the show so far, which while likely a more accurate depiction of the shamisen, I found just made the final episode sound kinda dead and boring.
Jun 18, 2021 12:30 PM

Apr 2018
There's only one thing that I want: A SECOND SEASON!
This was seriously one of the best animes of the Spring season. A hidden gem!
Characters to art to music, everything was really good. Espically the music (duh).
Setsu's last performance was amazing. He should have been #2 but as you know he played a different ''thread''. Also we finally saw Yuna for a few seconds. Glad to see her back. Umeko was a really bitch, just let him play whatever he wants for once..
Souichi's performance was superb, a well deserved #1.
Well due to the frustation Setsu had a massive breackdown. I almost teared up, really amazing.. Hopefully we will get a second season! Can't wait for Setsu's growth and more amazing performances from him.
9/10.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 18, 2021 12:35 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Nice of them to bring the first opening back. It was still the best one out of the two. Setsu's performance as well as his rebellion towards his mother though was impressive. Souichi's performance though was just as high level. 3rd place wasn't that bad for Setsu for his first solo performance. Though i have to say Setsu deserved second place more than Ushio. Souichi though really deserved 1st place. Umeko's shattering of the award as well as her words to Setsu sure was uncalled for. Though the critique for Setsu's performance was harsh it's a necessary step if he aims to progress upwards. The pain from this tournament though will take some time to heal as he needs to find a new focus to rely upon something that only Setsu can do. Overall an excellent finale and a pretty satisfying ending that managed to wrap up the arc on a high note while laying the foundations for a potential second season to which i hope to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2021 12:43 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode but it kinda sucks that the show ended on such a heavy note with no clue on whether there would ever be a second season.

Setsu gave a great performance, it was really nice watching him enjoy himself. Unfortunately, he couldn't beat Tanuma but that was expected. I'm glad that it lit the fire in him though.
I sorta expected that he'd get third given the way his performance changed, I doubt that would be viewed in a positive light from a scoring standpoint despite it being great from a character perspective.

Honestly, the thing that stood out to me was that everyone was being so harsh on Setsu. All the guy wanted to do was find his own sound and have fun playing and he's being judged so negatively for doing it. I felt really sad for him when he cried. Cut the guy some slack, I'm pretty sure he is well aware of what he needs to do. :(

Overall, great series. I really do hope there's a continuation somewhere down the line. I'm pretty sure I said in the beginning but the music really carried the show, it gave so much more weight to the characters and their interactions. The show felt much more personal and Setsu's search for his own sound among all the pressure from those around to him was made so much more compelling. Great atmosphere building, if anything the only downsides I'd point out at the moment is the length and the way we get left off right at a turning point.

8/10, I really do hope there's more to see.
Jun 18, 2021 12:51 PM
Jun 2021
I love it but it make frustrated....im still crying like shit...i know its going to be like this..arghhhhh ಥ╭╮ಥ
Jun 18, 2021 12:54 PM
Mar 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Not going to lie, I thought the performance in the opening minutes of this episode felt surreal. Setsu didn't let his past hold him back and played with his heart.

Idk if Setsu truly rediscovered himself again but he should be proud of his work. I'm sure Umeko is too. An interesting way to conclude the show imo as it showcased how much Setsu's passion for music has grown again. Quite an interesting ending.

Definitely one of the underrated anime of this season.
hmm i dont understand what made you think umeko is proud? she seemd pissed of and she reaaaaaly need a good reason to be forgiven for what she did.
Jun 18, 2021 12:54 PM
Mar 2013
Loved the show i hope to see a second season.
Jun 18, 2021 12:55 PM
Feb 2019
Mashiro no Oto is the ones of principal animes of this season, and certanly, the most underrated anime of this season, but was amazing, every week watch, and I hope that a second season come.
Jun 18, 2021 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
hot damn Umeko really is a giant bitch, way to dunk on Setsu like that lmao

but actually ngl that was one of the better post-losing-an-event scenes I think I've seen, nice to see the actual frustration taking place rather than just crying and getting over it lol. Except for that crying scene though it sounded like Setsu was exorcising satan himself omegalul

though overall it was pretty decent. tbh I found Setsu's story more interesting than the group's one, kinda wished they explored it more apart from the final few eps and bits here and there. That ending leads me to believe there's a potential S2 looming in the works otherwise that'd be a weird place to end it off lol. One thing that also felt off was the use of piano during the shamisen performances themselves, felt pretty weird for a music series to have well......less of the actual instrument in question

overall a good show, but unfortunately nothing more than a

B-Tech Kono Oto Tomare/10

Stark700 said:
Idk if Setsu truly rediscovered himself again but he should be proud of his work. I'm sure Umeko is too.

I'm not sure dropping the award right in front of him and straight up telling him "You're pathetic" supports that sentiment lmao
Jun 18, 2021 1:04 PM
Sep 2019
Good episode

I'm very happy Setsu did not win.

Setsu's problem was that he spent far too long trying to be like his grandad...while he really should have spent more time trying to be himself.

Throughout the anime...there is a struggle between Setsu's conception of music and Setsu's conception of Matsugoro's music. The results were seen tonight...and while it was good enough to get him into third...it was not good enough to win the tournament...especially as tournaments are not where you examine your internal struggles about what style you are.
Jun 18, 2021 1:09 PM
Sep 2018
Clear disagreement among the fans, not surprising.

Umeko didn't drop the award plaque out of pique. motivating Setsu is a difficult thing, words to that effect by her later on, discussing him with the head judge. It was a very deliberate act upon her part to shock him out of where he'd been. Gotta revise some of my thinking concerning her; yes, she wants recognition of her father, but she also wants her son to be a worthy successor to her father. Wants him recognized as such by those within the field. Wants him to reach the heights he is capable of. She's not the bitch we thought she was; flamboyant, yes, that's part of her style, but she's a very good judge of musical talent and potential, and a more astute psychologist than we'd given her credit for. (She's still a bitch, but one who does it with a goal in mind that I can't disagree with; it's her methods I dislike, but if they prove effective? Urg.)

Gotta revise my thinking on his father as well. He's successfully raised two very different children, both adopted, such that they genuinely love making music. MaiMai's about the most normal of the various individuals seen in this series...while her brother is a classic OCD case who's found a successful use for it within the Shamisen community, although he's got the interpersonal skills of...well, they aren't that good. Which is part and parcel of the OCD bit. Anyway, he too actually seems to have Setsu's real best interests at heart...but sees a different route to it than Umeko's.

Maybe. I could be giving both of them too much credit, but they ain't as 2D as they'd seemed earlier in regard to personality and motivation.

The judging was fair and accurate. Setsu placing that high in his first appearance in a competition is basically unheard of, and it was the shifting of musical style halfway through which resulted in 3rd rather than 2nd. And all of the judges were impressed by Setsu, and hope to see him grow.

Now, while part of my reaction is they did it AGAIN in regard to shifting to western music and instruments during part of the competition segment, it was music that fit what was being voice-overed. However, if the playing of the shamisen was supposed to be successfully conveying those emotions...why the bloody hell not let us hear it for ourselves?!?! Show, not Tell, OK? They didn't actually believe it would, or what?

Personally, I hope for a second season.
If they don't...this isn't actually a bad ending point.
We can speculate to our heart's content concerning what happens now that Setsu is motivated, with the final vision of his reaching for the shamisen etched into our minds.

In the end, it was the repeated use of western music rather than allowing us to hear the shamisen at various significant sections through the season that forced me to give the season as a whole a 9, rather than allowing me to grant it a 10; I really liked this program, OK, but I disagree enough with certain decisions made in regard to music in a music-centric program that I can't call it a masterpiece. Outside of that, ain't got no complaints.
Jun 18, 2021 1:14 PM

Aug 2018
Umeko and Ryuugen are really the worst parents
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
Jun 18, 2021 1:15 PM

Mar 2020
I am really happy for Setsu on what he did on the second half and I wasn't really expecting him to win but it's really frustrating. Why are the people around Setsu like that, his mom dropping the trophy intentionally and telling him he's pathetic even if she wants to motivate him I think that it's a scummy move to do that. And his dad is just there to add fuel to the flame, can't they just think how much their words weigh on him?

This final episode doesn't feel like a final episode for me it's kind of open-ended. I hope for a second season to come.
MochiRonDesu14Nov 1, 2022 6:39 AM
Jun 18, 2021 1:16 PM
Apr 2019
Any spoilers plz it will be appreciated.
Jun 18, 2021 1:25 PM
Sep 2020
Setsu's sound at the start of the episode was unreal...The tanuma guys sound was booring but commentry made it a big deal...Setsu got some jabs back to back...The stress he felt must be unreal...Everyone forcing their BS on the poor guy...This needs a S2
Jun 18, 2021 1:49 PM
Mar 2019
awesome anime master piece

the bad its a monthly manga an its not traduce more. now its volume 6 in english that its near the final of the anime. i am trying to see if exist more
Jun 18, 2021 1:49 PM
Feb 2021
12 episodes for this? Lmao
Jun 18, 2021 2:09 PM

Sep 2019
I expected it to end on a happy note, it was a weird final episode. What Umeko did was really unrespectful to Setsu and all of the effort he spent on shamisen. It was a bad conclusion.

I hated the first episode, it got better when Setsu started going to school and I started to like it when him and his friends decided to work together. The tournament arc was very boring in my opinion. I guess it was an average to a little worse than average series overall.
Jun 18, 2021 2:11 PM
Nov 2015
I didn't expect him to get the ultimate glory, but Jesus. Hopefully there's an s2
Jun 18, 2021 2:29 PM
Sep 2020
Is the story finished?
Jun 18, 2021 2:30 PM

Feb 2020
What a GREAT ending... for me to poop on. Just kidding I liked it mostly. everything besides the same soliloquy being in overused, the overreacting and annoying Main-Supporting cast aka his “friends” and the shamisens? Terrible sound the show was really good and for real this time a great set up for another season. 8/10

Jun 18, 2021 2:31 PM

Mar 2016
Mommy is scummy, daddy is scummy, man Setsu's parents are really fine folks. Setsu has to face that absence of individuality, sure he's immature but marking it that way it's kinda rough, and it's not like he wants to be that way. I haven't had that sensation of incompleteness since Hoshiai no Sora. Overall a good anime, this can go as the underdog of the season.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jun 18, 2021 2:58 PM
Apr 2021
Ashhk said:
This anime is a special case for me, I really liked the story and the character development but absolutely hated the shamisen to the point that I had the fast-forward or skip all the moments they played it, it's probably my least favorite music instrument ever.. anyway I still enjoyed it and I think the writing is pretty good with all the drama (especially the family one I would say) but I wish it was about a different instrument xD
why watch the show just watch any other drama you’re legitimately skipping the best parts
Jun 18, 2021 3:15 PM
Apr 2020
With no garanties of a season 2, this is a terrible way of ending a season.
All the bullying at the end was honestly excruciating.
Jun 18, 2021 3:26 PM

Feb 2020
Not a good end for me, but the whole show still good enough, 7/10.
Jun 18, 2021 3:29 PM

Jul 2012
I was sure changing styles was gonna lower his score at the end.
Also, fuck his mother.

It was so nice to see the first OP, I love it more than the second one!

It was a fine anime to me, to be honest. My liking was growing up until the grandma episode (which was my favorite one), then it just... I dunno. I couldn't connect with the characters really well.
I'll probably bump the score because of the music, I loved the fact that every episode had a shamisen performance since it was the thing that I enjoyed the most from this show.
Jun 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Sep 2007
I get the whole ''shocking Setsu out of his comfort zone'' and getting him motivated and all but this was incredibly frustrating to watch. Seeing someone get told over and over again that they're pathetic, not good enough, produce a beatable sound, they're not worthy of certain titles or status... it's too much. Setsu finally came out of his comfort zone and now he's isolated himself completely. As a final episode, this felt spiteful and counterproductive, and too negative to end the series with. I didn't expect him to win and didn't want him to, let that be clear, but this felt like watching a group of people kicking someone back into the ditch they just crawled out of. I liked how the show started and the way Setsu made progress, so to see his heart receive blow after blow only for him to end up depressed and alone... I'm not a fan

6/10, solely for the enjoyable shamisen music and Kakihara Tetsuya
Jun 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Sep 2017
Umeko is trash, but I guess I always knew that. This show was decent enough, but I not really what I was hoping for. My expectations had to be shifted once I found out it was gonna be a school shounen, but even then it never really resonated with me. Probably because I just don't care for how the shamisen sounds all that much. Not something I would have known before watching this of course. Potentially as a consequence, so often I feel like I can't relate to the show when they are describing the sounds. "Ah his sound sounds like the wind" or "she sounds like a cold winter" and I'm just like... okay, I guess?
Jun 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Oct 2015
Okay that went exactly as i said last time. You can't find yourself through music and yes, it did come back to bite him in the bum. I mean it was no given that he was going to win but that just leaves me with a very sour note on my pallette. Good concept but man. I just feel very empty after that. If there was a second season, i'm not sure i'm going to dive straight into it. All in all though. Loved watching it every week. I had a good time with this one.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Jun 18, 2021 3:51 PM
Jul 2014
I really hope they give this another season as I’ve found it the most enjoyable anime this season
Jun 18, 2021 4:07 PM

May 2016
I thought I was watching Furuba for a moment, with the crappy parents and all. What are trying to do, break his limiter? I had a stepmother like Umeko, and I still hate her, even after all these years.
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Jun 18, 2021 4:59 PM

Jun 2020
that was a rather depressing ending. everyone is pressuring Setsu into his Grandfather's sound... and all the kid wants to do is play. he wants to have his own sound, and yet he is haunted by the notes of a dead man. when Setsu started crying it made me uncomfortable, if not by the sound of it, but for the first time in the show he started showing emotion in response to what everyone was trying to tell him to become.
Jun 18, 2021 5:31 PM

Sep 2018
The conflict between how much the music made me feel good and the not-so-exceptional plot&characters will bug me for a while, when deciding whether this is a 9 or a 10 in my book.

On one hand I'm aware that this anime doesn't have enough of what it takes to be a 10, but on the other I want my anime list to be my damn anime list and not an "objectively best anime list".
NirinboJun 18, 2021 5:38 PM
Jun 18, 2021 5:56 PM

Apr 2013
So Umeko being a garbage human being wasn't just a gag. Fuck that bitch.

I would really like to see more of this though.
Jun 18, 2021 6:22 PM

Jan 2020
I thought this was a good finale. As sad as it is, I do appreciate how they made him not get a clear #1 and end off on a happy note like a generic show would do. It is quite sad seeing setsu react the way he did but oh well. I thought he deserved #1

It was nice hearing the very first opening again alongside the banger ed.

Jun 18, 2021 7:43 PM
Aug 2015
HIDDEN GEM OF THE SEASON.. PERIOD!
if and only there's a season 2 announcement at the end...
I felt like if handle well...it can actually beat Kono Oto...
Im gonna miss shimasen sounds...and also please bring back Yuna for goodness sake..
Jun 18, 2021 8:06 PM
Oct 2020
My least favourite trope is having the character breakdown and everyone walk out right at that exact moment. It’s so fucking unnecessary and he clearly ran AWAY to the back. They just tryna fuck w Sawamura as hard as possible and it pissed me off.
Jun 18, 2021 8:09 PM
Apr 2020
Well that was a worst way to end..

Overall I really enjoyed it. The mix of intense drama and music are well made. It's just that I'm disappointed on the conclusion.. They leave Setsu with that kind of not-that-good character development. I'm gonna rate it 10 if the ending satisfy me atleast, but I guess it's not. So Imma drop my final rate to 8...
Jun 18, 2021 8:10 PM
Feb 2010
I love this episode also don’t like it as the final episode.
Jun 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Sep 2011
Loved this show but damn it how do I reach through the TV screen and slap the taste out of Umeko's mouth. What an absolute failure of a human being and a mother. Villain of the season.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» is there a chance for season 2?

moonichild - Jun 18, 2021

14 by ssourcandy »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

44 by MyLadyShip »»
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2021

64 by Mweeee »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

120 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

53 by Hilomenchero »»
Sep 25, 2022 10:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.