Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 29, 2021 11:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is up on Funimation today.

Takes place in 1923 and we got the debut of an vampire woman right off the bat. I want to say that the overall environment and visual quality does gives me the feeling of the time setting.

Seems the show features adult characters with military roles and they fear that the vampire community may become a prominent threat. It feels like an episode that sets up for many events in the future and I hope it'll be good. Has potential imo although I'm not sold on the main cast yet. Also, this anime seems to have a way of words, some of the dialogues sounds like it comes from actors. First episode had moments that looked more like a play.
Mar 29, 2021 11:30 AM

Jul 2017
Funimation has an early premiere of Episode 1:
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1374722749701230601

OOH, a 16:9 screen format, haven't seen that in quite awhile since Kanata no Astra. Signal.MD coming in STRONG with the film format.

The ONE KEY person I'm looking out for is legendary screenwriter Junichi Fujisaku, the same person who directed Blood+ and screenwrote Blood-C, so if you've watched those 2 classic shows, you know that he's EXTREMELY good at handling the supernatural themes with vampires.

The original source being based on Bun-O Fujisawa's stage reading play, and this practically nails that aspect in the Expressionist ages.

A really intriguing start that does not show a lot, but tells as the story progresses. Special Force Unit 16 a.k.a Code Zero, a MI6 kind of unit handling cases related to incinerating vampires, I'm getting the Impressionist Van Helsing vibes here.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, this could be the dark horse vampire of the Spring season.
Mar 29, 2021 11:39 AM
Sep 2015
KANLen09 said:
OOH, a 16:9 screen format, haven't seen that in quite awhile since Kanata no Astra. Signal.MD coming in STRONG with the film format.

Anamorphic format is 2.35:1, 2.39:1 or 2.4:1, which is even wider than 16:9 (1.78:1) format.

Anyway, it's hard to judge the anime just from this first episode. But my first impression is that this won't likely be a masterpiece.

I've to assume a lot of things, like, could Misaki be that man's fiance? I'm kinda sad that she died but at the same time I'm happy that that Colonel man will be a virgin for life, just like the moon in the play!
Mar 29, 2021 11:44 AM

Jul 2017
@phantomfandom oh yeah, pardon my lack of knowledge in screen resolutions xD

It should look more like Anamorphic 16:9.
Mar 29, 2021 11:45 AM

Oct 2017
Welp this was pretty weird premise. Visuals and animation were beautiful but dunno felt a bit odd. Was Misaki Maeda's fiance or was she just acting her role the entire time? Hope we get confirmation on that also I see a lot of death flags on Moriyama.

OP or ED whatever it was at the end of the episode it was good.
Mar 29, 2021 11:54 AM
Jul 2017
The art style and narration of this really stood out to me

I'm assuming this isn't gonna be an action show, but for a first episode, I'm really impressed.

This could go the typical humans vs vampires route

but i kinda hope it focuses more on the emotional aspects on the main character and his feelings for vampires

Which, in that case would be very interesting and something i would definitely look forward to
Mar 29, 2021 11:55 AM

Sep 2007
It was... fine. the animation was extremely limited and stilted, with the majority of "movement" being distant or very stiff. the directing however is much stronger, with shots that evoke the nature of it being adapted from a stage play, it compensates for the lack of actual animation quite a bit.

can't really judge the story as it was pretty light on story and exposition this episode, as it focused on tone setting instead. I guess I'll keep watching for a bit.
Mar 29, 2021 11:55 AM

Aug 2008
MegamiRem said:
Welp this was pretty weird premise. Visuals and animation were beautiful but dunno felt a bit odd. Was Misaki Maeda's fiance or was she just acting her role the entire time? Hope we get confirmation on that also I see a lot of death flags on Moriyama.

Is the eding song sang by hyde.. te op forgot who sings it o.o
The spider is watching
Mar 29, 2021 12:08 PM
Sep 2015
KANLen09 said:
@phantomfandom oh yeah, pardon my lack of knowledge in screen resolutions xD

It should look more like Anamorphic 16:9.

16:9 is already the ratio of all modern anime, this one is 2.35:1
Mar 29, 2021 12:08 PM

May 2020
It was interesting indeed, the atmosphere feels like we're really in those years.

I wasn't expecting anything so this surprised me for good.
Mar 29, 2021 12:43 PM

Feb 2017
Don't know what to make of it yet but it did catch my attention. Feels like it has potential so let's see how it turns out.

dany_elle1908 said:
MegamiRem said:

Is the eding song sang by hyde.. te op forgot who sings it o.o

Yeah, the ED is sung by Hyde.
Mar 29, 2021 12:45 PM

May 2020
I don't know how to properly describe it, but the way this was presented kind of reminded me of the Monogatari Series. That might just be me though.

Overall, I thought this would be one of those "cool premise, mediocre execution" shows however, I really enjoyed the first episode.
I'm a blunt and pessimistic guy who tries to be nice to everybody. Whether that's off-putting or not is for you to decide.

Mar 29, 2021 1:04 PM

Aug 2017
MiscString said:
I don't know how to properly describe it, but the way this was presented kind of reminded me of the Monogatari Series. That might just be me though.

Overall, I thought this would be one of those "cool premise, mediocre execution" shows however, I really enjoyed the first episode.

No, It's not just you. I feel like it uses some of the directing tricks of monogatari and also dialog dialog dialog. It has a lot of flat colors and thin lines that kinda reminds me of Kizumonogatari.
"Hololive was a mistake" -HaYagoo Miyazaki

Mar 29, 2021 1:06 PM

Mar 2018
Naw.

Already anime of the season for the art direction alone.

Fucking loved every second. Early on in the episode the cgi was a bit jarring but that isn't nearly enough for me to ignore everything this episode did well. Quite monogatari'esque in it's style. Meaning that it's perfect.

"Awoooo!" howled Holo. Fear gripped the men. Even Lawrence stepped back. Should they have
seen her fangs, he had prepared a cover story: that all sufficiently angry women seemed to bear
fangs.
Mar 29, 2021 1:25 PM

May 2018
Interesting idea, weird stylistics...but man the music... Not that's bad or anything but I hate how they used it.
Distracting factor for me - the whole time I was expecting subconsciously someone from the cast of Sakura Taisen to appear.
alshuMar 29, 2021 11:51 PM
Mar 29, 2021 1:33 PM

Jun 2019
It looks like it is reaching for the stars. Whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen, but I have to appreciate the effort.

The art and presentation style seems to be inspired by the monogatari series (Kizumonogatari in particular), not that it is a bad thing. I like that it has a different style because it helps this anime stand out more among all of the seasonal anime.

I’m not the biggest fan of the more cinematic aspect ratio, as it comes off a little pretentious.

But that being said, The plot of a military special force hunting down vampires has a lot of potential.
Mar 29, 2021 1:41 PM

Jun 2015
Wasn't sure if I was going to watch this given the myanime synopsis making it sound so bland but I am glad I did. For an opening episode it has me intrigued and I must know more!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 29, 2021 1:53 PM

Aug 2017
This looks extremely interesting. The art quality is amazing so far, the directing is really innovative and refreshing and the characters seem to be quite interesting and unique.
Mar 29, 2021 2:02 PM

Jan 2008
OK, this seems tailor made for fujo: all male main cast, based on a stage play, has a mobile game. Checks out.

On a technical note it looks pretty damn good. But it will need one hell of an interesting story to keep me interested in a sausage-fest. So far... not impressed.
Mar 29, 2021 2:20 PM

Apr 2020
It is so unique in every way and I loved it, definitely an interesting idea.
Mar 29, 2021 2:26 PM

Jul 2017
ok first of all hot damn that atmosphere is phenomenal. The colour palette used was amazing and the OST choices were pretty dope as well

as for the story itself....

wat

I think this first ep is probs meant to establish the setting and the protag/antag, given how most of the main characters haven't been introduced yet lol. But still big F for vampire waifu died in only the 1st ep rip

Mar 29, 2021 2:26 PM
Dec 2015
This episode was such a magnificent first impression for me that I'm really worried that what follows will be a major disappointment.
Mar 29, 2021 3:05 PM

Mar 2018
Holy fuck the direction of this anime. This is some Wonder Egg Priority quality of direction, even if the animation can't keep up with it. The music also really sells the anime for me.

This is a huge suprise for me after being turned of by the animation in the trailers. Even if its story is simple, if the anime keeps up this kind of gorgeous direction, then we got something special on our hands.
Mar 29, 2021 3:09 PM

Sep 2017
Why does the poll have a whopping 142 "Hated it"? Is this the next Ex-Arm?

Edit : Seems like the same thing happened to the other show that aired today, Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui, except there's 266 of them. Did someone make a bot to vote 1/5 on polls?...
BaronBrixiusMar 29, 2021 3:14 PM
Mar 29, 2021 3:20 PM

Nov 2018
Well this definitely has my interest. Great art design and inspired directing. The question is if the plot is going to be good.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Mar 29, 2021 3:49 PM

Mar 2020
I really like the camera shots and angles used.
Penguinman37Mar 29, 2021 3:52 PM
Mar 29, 2021 4:00 PM

Jul 2012
Going into this with no expectations was my best choice, very interesting presentation and atmosphere
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Mar 29, 2021 4:09 PM

Jun 2020
MegamiRem said:
Was Misaki Maeda's fiance or was she just acting her role the entire time? Hope we get confirmation on that also I see a lot of death flags on Moriyama.

Yes I'm very sure Misaki was his fiancee. Moriyama asked Maeda if he was single and he responded that he has 'a fiancee I never met'. Then, when he went to the theater and met the blonde (Defrott), she mentioned that Misaki was really excited for her lover (Maeda) to see her perform as Salome. Defrott said it's a shame that he couldn't come back sooner (Maeda was away from Tokyo for the last 6 months) before Misaki's incident.

When they meet near the end of the episode, Misaki introduces herself and says 'I wanted to meet you for so long' and 'I'm glad you're just how I imagined'.
PecoTheHeroMar 29, 2021 4:45 PM
Mar 29, 2021 4:23 PM

Mar 2016
truly interesting first episode! i thought i would have an idea of how the show would pan out, but for now i am left confused :o

most 'different/obscure' anime i have seen (so far) in a long time <3

the ost is very appealing which is great, the art is pleasing which is a bonus!

4/5 <3

Mar 29, 2021 4:28 PM
May 2017
Some of the CG looked PS2 levels of flat but there were some pretty moments too. That's all I have. I'll see where this goes.
Mar 29, 2021 4:57 PM

Feb 2010
that was interesting first ep... art and music were good. even if anime could be trash later tho, it has subawe-san's voice i will watch it >w<

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Mar 29, 2021 4:57 PM

Apr 2011
Vampire hunting at the beginning of the century. XX in Japan. The mixture of the supernatural and the historical is something that always conquers me, and this first ep convinced me to continue seeing this story.
Introduction with a theatrical monologue is always a good resource and here it was well used, yet perfectly combined with the mood of the anime.
An interesting topic that was covered quickly in the episode, and became visible with the setting: the strong Western influence that Japan was having in the early 20th century. I think the anime will address that again. In addition, with a more obscure beginning, it gave a meaning that will debate more complex issues. Being a dramatic and enigmatic anime.
The animation I thought matched the mood of the story, is not spectacular, but also has no reason to bother. Some uses of CGI, but it doesn't bother at all.
It was a good first episode, you could perfectly understand the personality of the protagonist and how it works clearly in the world, in addition to getting what kind of vampire the work is using.
Mar 29, 2021 5:12 PM

Mar 2010
Was way better then I expected but from this episode. I am not sure I am interested in the rest.
Mar 29, 2021 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
The animation reminds me of Kitsutsuki Tanteidokoro's animation, I love how retro it is, and the ending song by HYDE was so good I love it!

I want to see what happens next in this anime so I'll continue to watch it.
Mar 29, 2021 5:43 PM

Jan 2018
Eh, it looked nice and had excellent sound design but literally nothing about this episode interested me.
Mar 29, 2021 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
The dialogues of the characters are very good, I really found vampires interesting.
Mar 29, 2021 6:14 PM

Dec 2015
I didn't like the art style, colors, the horrendous 3DCGI, vampires but I like the vampire girl but ...

Apparently the other characters are males so this is going to be a total trash for me.
Mar 29, 2021 6:23 PM
Dec 2016
This was painful to watch. I didnt expected much. But to ruin such beautiful Animation with this disgusting, sloppy Lazy writing. What was even the point. Instead of making proper dialog author just makes our main villain spit some random script all the time to cover the fact he has no idea what he would make her to say. There was no conflict there was nothing. This would be utter shit if it werent for the visuals. Im deathly afraid of the next episode and so should you
Mar 29, 2021 6:45 PM
May 2016
IMMABEAST said:
This was painful to watch. I didnt expected much. But to ruin such beautiful Animation with this disgusting, sloppy Lazy writing. What was even the point. Instead of making proper dialog author just makes our main villain spit some random script all the time to cover the fact he has no idea what he would make her to say. There was no conflict there was nothing. This would be utter shit if it werent for the visuals. Im deathly afraid of the next episode and so should you

Please, it's not the anime's fault that you don't understand the meaning behind the dialogues.
They did a pretty good job with the first ep and I hope the next ep is good too.
Mar 29, 2021 6:53 PM
Aug 2020
The visuals and that song at the end was amazing but I was confused as fuxk as to what was happening... if someone could explain that would be wonderful
Mar 29, 2021 6:54 PM

Apr 2020
BaronBrixius said:
Why does the poll have a whopping 142 "Hated it"? Is this the next Ex-Arm?

Edit : Seems like the same thing happened to the other show that aired today, Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui, except there's 266 of them. Did someone make a bot to vote 1/5 on polls?...
yes I agree with you, even seeing their discussions people enjoy it, so I think this is a bot's doing, I hope mod will fix it
Mar 29, 2021 6:57 PM
Mar 2020
MiscString said:

I thought the same thing! Specifically when she was walking around town, and there was a shot of her from the front, walking backwards. Just had that shaft vibe.
Mar 29, 2021 7:21 PM

Apr 2019
bruh, the fuck did i just watch...
yvseiMar 29, 2021 7:33 PM

Mar 29, 2021 7:21 PM

Mar 2021
IMMABEAST said:

It’s barely the first episode lol, chill.
Mar 29, 2021 7:25 PM

Nov 2012
eh. So far not a fan. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.
Mar 29, 2021 7:43 PM
Mar 2021
Show is weird. I am left feeling that I just don't care about anything about this show after this episode. The protagonist is purposely made of wood for military reasons. The theatrical dialog isn't really my thing.

It has some interesting stylistic choices, and I'll watch another episode, but at best I think "this is ok but just isn't for me."
Mar 29, 2021 7:54 PM

Nov 2017
I loved the animation, can't wait for the next episode
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Mar 29, 2021 8:08 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was alright. It wasn't amazing but it did just enough to make me wanna try at least a couple more episodes.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 29, 2021 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
ooh this was quite interesting, not sure how to feel about this but seems very intriguing for now. quite a nice episode to introduce us into this world, while it was very confusing it did give off an enjoyable mysterious vibe and hope we get to find out more and stuff by the end of this. the soundtrack is cool and ending/opening at the end sounded great, interesting that it was in english but it was actually not bad, it is by hyde though so of course its very high quality. the main thing i was impressed with was the production quality, really love the artstyle here, the lighting and colours are amazing and the backgrounds specifically look quite wonderful. i really liked this one in particular, could definitely be wallpaper material.

anyways, this anime looks to have the potential to be very promising... cant wait to see how it turns out, hopefully well.
Mar 29, 2021 8:25 PM

Mar 2021
Seeing a lot of hate but I actually really liked it. First half was odd and animation not all that, but that scene with the vampire and Maeda at the end was very very nice and the OST with it was great. Not amazing as a whole obviously so far but that scene alone made it worth it. We'll see how it goes from here though.
All the stars in the sky await you!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

53 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 19, 2021

62 by St0rmblade »»
Oct 26, 2023 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 10, 2021

47 by BreakApart »»
Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

37 by Muow »»
Feb 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Poll: » Mars Red Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 24, 2021

40 by Muow »»
Feb 13, 2023 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.