Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2008 10:57 PM

Jun 2007
I do think that the first half of this episode makes a lot more sense once you see episode 26.

Personally, though, I really liked the way that Kaiji and the chairman were going to great lengths to convince the other that they weren't cheating. Because, y'know, both of them obviously are - I mean, I noticed that the chairman's hand was in the box longer as soon as I saw (big, red, flashing lights there) There's a whole subtextual conversation going on for the second third of this episode.

Also, I really enjoyed the "junkie" part (which made little sense in the RAW). I think it really does help build a part of Kaiji's character we first saw on the Espoir - he really just wants to get out of his own hopeless situation. He's not like Akagi, a thrillseeking genius who flirts with his beloved death, but rather an everyman who just wants to live, and needs money to do so. That's a deeper point than a simple psychological thriller can make. The philosophy of the show, as well as its character, really hit home here.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 11, 2008 4:00 AM
Oct 2007
Great episode as usual!

Only one more to go :O
Apr 11, 2008 2:23 PM

Feb 2008
Wuahahahah! so awesome box trick didnt work, o_O
Now I can say conception of Kaiji is the same as Akagi's... Pure imitation, how sad, interesting arcs though.
Apr 11, 2008 5:49 PM

Jan 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
Also, I really enjoyed the "junkie" part (which made little sense in the RAW). I think it really does help build a part of Kaiji's character we first saw on the Espoir - he really just wants to get out of his own hopeless situation. He's not like Akagi, a thrillseeking genius who flirts with his beloved death, but rather an everyman who just wants to live, and needs money to do so. That's a deeper point than a simple psychological thriller can make. The philosophy of the show, as well as its character, really hit home here.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I love these insane gambles with ridiculous wagers as much as the next guy. The more reckless and insane things make them all the more intriguing.

However, these philosophical insights into humanity are a major reason why I watch the show as well. Put them together and you've got an excellent combination.

SunSir said:
Now I can say conception of Kaiji is the same as Akagi's...

Umm, no.

Akagi rapes everyone and anything he touches. He can't lose. The exception is Washizu since he ends up almost dying later on when Washizu realizes that Akagi is an anomaly with a fetish for death and he's been using the wrong strategy the entire time (saying "I'll kill you" to a man with a death wish) so he changes his plan accordingly. Other than that, Akagi murders everybody he comes up against. However, such is not the case with Kaiji.

You see, Toris... in the world of the gambling apocalypse... the bad guys can win.
AkagiApr 11, 2008 5:58 PM
Apr 12, 2008 8:38 AM

Oct 2007
Oh yeah, Akagi is just a flat out beast. I can only imagine how much he would have walked all over Tonegawa in E-card, lol.
Apr 12, 2008 10:16 PM

Nov 2007
Id want to see Washizu and the Chairman gamble against each other. I do think that Washizu was way richer than the Chairman is (at least in his prime, since he was the Shadow King of Japan) so it would be interesting to see who was the better evil bastard old guy.

My conclusion would be that Washizu just likes killing people and winning while the Chairman doesnt really care if he wins or loses as much (still wants to win) but definately enjoys killing people more/watching them suffer.
Apr 19, 2008 7:45 AM

Mar 2008
I think after watching this, I will watch Akagi, too.

You seem to recommend it, too.
Feb 10, 2009 9:40 AM

Jun 2008
Tooooooo fishy
May 4, 2009 8:19 AM

Oct 2008
Too many Akagi spoilers in here. I haven't watched Akagi yet and am watching Kaiji first. Luckily, I don't really know what you guys are talking about and as soon as I saw some more detailed facts about Akagi, hurriedly scrolled down to the bottom of the page.

One more episode to go. Though this arc is weaker than the others, I hope it's an epic and intense finale that suits the atmosphere of this show.
Dec 14, 2009 2:43 PM

Apr 2009
Well it was obvious it wouldn't be that easy, not much of a climax that way, also I can't shake off the feeling that the chairman is cheating, as some have mentioned already he suspiciously removed his hand from the box after Kaiji when they were putting in the winning ticket.
Dec 21, 2009 12:47 PM
Oct 2009
lol they stretched a event that suppose to last for no longer than a few seconds into a whole episode lol..seriously they both hand their hand in the box for like 3mintues...that should not be allowed...
Mar 26, 2010 3:33 AM
Jul 2008
I knew it would come to this besides he probably got the box from somewhere else.
Dec 3, 2010 9:41 PM

May 2010
I'm relieved that Kaiji's cheating will not work coz I want him to win like those previous gambles..

That chairman is getting much crueler. Liked it..

Now, let's see how this end..
Sep 6, 2011 5:30 PM

Jun 2009
Good stuff, probably the best episode in a while. It's funny how some people complain about this series being over dramatic when that has ALWAYS been the case. And, well, it kind of needs to be given the stakes and all.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 19, 2011 10:01 PM

Jun 2008
SO MUCH SUSPENSE!!!!!!

I really don't know how this is going to end....but this has been one hell of an anime!
Nov 1, 2011 7:45 PM

Oct 2011
Wow, the box trick doesn't work..... didn't expect that.
And OMG Kaiji didn't get the winning paper either. wow. Last episode will be great!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2011 11:27 AM

Oct 2008
This uninteresting gamble is being drawn out.

Jul 19, 2012 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
I thought Kaiji kind of deserved it. I mean come on..to believe that you would win with a little trick like that is too naive. He isn't in his right mind, which to me is reasonable. It has been a long night for him already + he lost a lot of blood. Someone needs to smack him and wake him up. As for the next episode I can't picture any happy endings happening is all I can say.
Jun 27, 2014 4:47 PM

Jun 2012
This is getting really intense. I have a feeling the guy in the black suit didnt get the tissue box from the bathroom, but a supply room instead.
Sep 11, 2014 3:47 AM

Nov 2013
There's no psychological aspect to this game at all. All it is is sticking your hand in a box and hoping to draw the winning lot.

Dec 21, 2014 8:06 AM

Dec 2013
Damn twists, I wonder what happened to the winning lot.
Dec 24, 2014 6:22 PM

Jun 2014
yep chairman knew what was going on and moved the fake lot.

such "zawa"
Mar 21, 2015 8:10 AM

Jul 2007
DissonantSoul said:
There's no psychological aspect to this game at all. All it is is sticking your hand in a box and hoping to draw the winning lot.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
May 8, 2015 3:11 AM
Nov 2014
Dat director is one scary ass motherfucker. Kaiji's plan got fucked up, wonder how he will win this game now lol.
Aug 19, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2015
Ani-Blast said:
DissonantSoul said:

That. And why the fuck is the old fart allowed to take the box with both hands (probably allowing him to remove the prepared lot) and put it right under his nose when drawing. He can easily see inside like that.
Serves Kaiji right for being greedy and full of shit.
HapHazrDAug 19, 2015 3:08 PM
Oct 24, 2015 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
There was that odd shot where Kaiji and the old man put the paper and the old man kept his finger on it. I'm wondering if he took it out and is just fucking with Kaiji, just for the fun of fucking with Kaiji.

Dear Lord, Kaiji fucked up big time.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 23, 2015 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
Welp goodbye Kaiji, you had a good run.
Feb 11, 2016 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be holding my breath while watching a tissue box lottery. I get the feeling the director is making Kaiji dance to his tune. When they were setting the winning draw, his hand was in the box slightly longer than Kaiji. I think he used that time to slide it into the bottom of the box so he can draw it at any time, most likely after Kaiji is at his complete mental limit.
Feb 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Mar 2012
People complaining about the game when the focus is Kaii's reactions and solutions to the problems he faces.

Just because it's not as good as the E card match doesn't make it bad or boring. He came up with a cunning strategy to outsmart the cheats, was slick enough to trick them into letting him get his way with the gamble preparations, and now we see him go from relief to utter despair after finding out that the winning lot that was put in for him is missing.

Quite entertaining so far for a simple lottery game.
May 16, 2016 8:21 PM
Jun 2013
Too much unnecessary dialogue. More than 8 minutes passed before the game started smh and then the entire episode done with them both only pulling one piece of paper each.

This is soooo anticlimactic.
Oct 5, 2016 8:08 PM

Sep 2014
Talk about fucking up.
Sep 3, 2017 5:36 AM

May 2016
Dead. Zawa zawa zawa. The winning slip has been washed away into the sea of paper. It'll take a miracle for Kaiji to win this bet ;-; When he gets into debt and loses his fingers, it'll be very hard of him to play gambling games orz

That Director is so devious that the bluff scared me too. I wonder what was the thing he did with the other slip because he took his time to let go of it.

Sep 24, 2017 9:12 PM

Apr 2016
Oh, boy.
I knew it...
Sep 25, 2017 4:43 PM

Jan 2010
holly shizzles yet again...i was sure his plan would get messed somehow...one more to go O.o

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 6, 2017 10:56 AM

Feb 2013
He is screwed!
I wonder if the old man knew that Kaiji wanted to cheat.
Mar 8, 2018 2:49 PM

Nov 2016
Was so obvious that something like this would happen,but the question is. Was it due to the unlucky circumstances or the work of the chairman?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 18, 2018 6:44 AM

May 2016
That bastard hid both of them the hidden lot has been moved I assume that bastard touched while he drew and the original one is out of the box now.
Mar 30, 2018 3:35 AM

Jul 2017
I had a feeling it wouldn't work. They are dragging this arc too much.
Dec 22, 2018 8:14 PM

Nov 2018
Kaiji: "I've had enough. I'm sick of gambling my life away."
But...there's a 2nd season to this show...sorry, Kaiji.

I have a feeling that the director pulled the winning ticket out and hid it somewhere...his hand was making a fist when he pulled it out of the box. And then he had that evil smirk.

I think it was obvious that Kaiji wouldn't find the hidden ticket in the box because, well, it'd be anticlimactic if winning was THAT easy. But I still hoped for him to find it. Now the question is, what happened to it? Are there now TWO winning tickets in the box? Or is there just one (the one that the director and Kaiji put in together or the hidden ticket that fell out in the shuffle, with the director sneakily pulling out the winning ticket and hiding it in his fist)? Hmm...

Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Apr 11, 2019 7:49 PM

Aug 2017
Stupid Kaiji. I just want to tell you that it's your fault.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 8, 2020 5:25 AM

Mar 2015
Welp, guess he's fucked for real now!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 3, 2020 6:27 AM

May 2018
I was wondering why Kaiji had explained what he was going to do in the past 2 episodes. Now it makes sense; it was doomed to fail, otherwise we would have not heard the explanation until the draws are over.
Jul 2, 2020 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
DAMNNNN im sure that the guy woho stayed behind is a spy or soomething. DAMN
Aug 2, 2020 12:42 PM

May 2015
Ok, just realised season 2 is three years later in terms of airing. Im interested now. Tbh I could see it going with a draw somehow. Cause if Kaiji outright loses that would be a pretty unstatisfying way to end the season, but I feel like this series also wouldnt just let Kaiji win completely cause then all his problems are solved. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I bet the Director knew about his plan easily and took the fake one out so it could be a true gamble. Reminds me of Yumiko from Kakegurui. Then again this guy did cheat before so I guess he doesnt care about true gambles like Yumeko does.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 24, 2020 3:39 PM

Mar 2010
Kaiji cucked himself he probably didn't realize there is probably more than one bathroom or storage room. Also who keeps that many tissue boxes? lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 16, 2021 4:56 PM

Mar 2016
THE CHAIRMAN

He must've realized it and took the hidden winning paper out! He had to have taken it out. Kaiji, you got this man.

Ffs one more episode and I'm done with this nightmare

Jan 30, 2022 10:12 AM

Feb 2021
imagine how terrified u would be knowing ur fingers finna get sliced
Sep 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Aug 2018
Pretty intense gamble , but the president doesn’t seem to worried the slightest
Feb 11, 2023 5:21 AM

Apr 2022
welp, that plan failed. prez is a demon.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Exelen - Apr 1, 2008

221 by klukva2077 »»
Yesterday, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.