Forum Settings
Forums

The required minimum length for reviews should be lower.

New
Oct 19, 2020 5:35 PM
Feb 2019
Reviews are a key part of MAL. In the past, i often browsed through the reviews and get a better picture, what awaits me. Now, i wrote a review myself. It often bothered me, when i had to read through the plot, when browsing reviews. So it was good to see, that there is actually a rule against it ("Don't include story summaries, users already have the synopsis written for them."). Also theres is a rule to avoid spoilers. BUT after i was finished explaining my rating of the show, i could not submit it, since it was too short. Now i see, why so many users feel inclined to either include a summary or write about specific parts of the show (spoilers almost guaranteed).

I think this minimum length rule is contradictory and should be either abolished or the required length should be set to a lower number.

Good reviews ought to be short. Often a review is mainly based on 2/3 things (good or bad). Yes, these are subjective, but a review is not supposed to be an objective discussion about a show, its a personal opinion. Dragging it out to every small little detail does not help the reader, its rather confusing, since the review loses focus and perspective.

Yes, empty reviews should not be a thing. Yes, one sentence reviews are bad. But 3 sentence reviews can be completly fine.
scrimauOct 19, 2020 5:46 PM
Oct 19, 2020 5:50 PM

Dec 2019
This is a suggestion, not something that requires support... You posted on the wrong thread...

I think that 4/5 sentences would probably be better. You (and everyone else) just need to know how to write reviews.
Reviews are exactly what you said, they are not empty, not only good/bad and not less than 3 sentences.

But when writing a review, imagine that you are talking with your best friend or girlfriend that wants to know more about that anime. This can help you.

I wrote and read some pretty big reviews, and they are very helpful, even when the reviewer adds an "summary" in their own words. I never read an review that had spoilers, without the reviewer clearly stating before the review, that the review contained spoilers.
Yes these "summaries" does include things that happened on the anime sometimes, but they are not really spoilers, it's usually just the same as if you attenciously watch the anime opening,ending and trailers.

Allowing users to write at least 4 sentences doesn't seem to be e bad thing anyways.
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Oct 19, 2020 9:25 PM

Dec 2014
There is a minimum requirement to avoid spam and trolling. Trolls are less eager to troll on large scale when it's a chore.
Oct 19, 2020 10:39 PM

Feb 2016
Moved to suggestions board
Oct 20, 2020 1:58 AM

Jun 2015
A review can be short, but still have substance. I recently wrote a review for the new Ongaku movie where I tried keeping it pretty brisk and only really highlighted some of the core things I had to say about the film. However, even though I didn't say too much, I did my best trying to explain my points with some intricate level of detail.

If reviews with only three sentences were allowed, it could discourage people from really developing their thoughts and ultimately would churn out more substanceless reviews that don't help anybody. In fact, I find the word limit to be very helpful in making me develop my thoughts. I start thinking more about what made the show in question click with me and what I could criticize. If you never push yourself to do better, you cannot ever improve.

word limit goode yes yes yes

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Oct 20, 2020 4:50 AM
Feb 2019
kronopy said:
Trolls are less eager to troll on large scale when it's a chore.

Trolls, spammers and bots can pretty much instantly add a few more lines and are set, there is no rly barrier here. I did the same, there was nothing more i wanted to add, so i added some useless lines at the end (any copy-paste lorem ipsum will do).

haydenluvsanime said:
In fact, I find the word limit to be very helpful in making me develop my thoughts.

haydenluvsanime said:
If reviews with only three sentences were allowed, it could discourage people from really developing their thoughts and ultimately would churn out more substanceless reviews that don't help anybody.

If you write detailed reviews, thats good, and i enjoy those too. But i like to keep my writing short, i dont wanna repeat myself and i want to avoid speicifc examples in the story (since spoilers). Whenever i want to add or rephrase something, i can do so later in an edit. Imo short reviews might be even more helpful than longer ones, since theyre easier to go through, when trying to evaluate a suggestion. Lets say, my friend tells me "hey look, check this anime out". Would you rather go through 200 line reviews all revealing some parts of the plot. Or through 3 sentence reviews who each focus on an aspect that users liked or didnt like?

Word limits are not rly a barrier for troll, spam or bots. These can add lines automatically or with very little effort.
The real benefit of word limits is to prevent missclicks. So no empty review gets submitted or to prevent a user of submitting prematurely by a missclick (tab-enter or something).
Right now, they also prevent good reviews though and provide an incentive to break other rules/guidelines (no summary, no spoilers).
Oct 20, 2020 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
scrimau said:

But i like to keep my writing short, i dont wanna repeat myself and i want to avoid speicifc examples in the story (since spoilers).

Check reviews on ANN. As an example:

'These are written by pros; no one writes such on mal!' Not really, you will find many users here that write even better stuff and do it for free.

So what am I trying to say? Mal is not strict at all. Tbh, if I were a mod, I would even increase the character count for reviews. Because, if you want to write helpful stuff, you needa invest time in it. However, if you want to share your opinion, there is series discussion for it. (This is my opinion. I cannot make you do anything.)
Oct 20, 2020 5:18 AM

Jun 2015
scrimau said:
kronopy said:
Trolls are less eager to troll on large scale when it's a chore.

Trolls, spammers and bots can pretty much instantly add a few more lines and are set, there is no rly barrier here. I did the same, there was nothing more i wanted to add, so i added some useless lines at the end (any copy-paste lorem ipsum will do).

haydenluvsanime said:
In fact, I find the word limit to be very helpful in making me develop my thoughts.

haydenluvsanime said:
If reviews with only three sentences were allowed, it could discourage people from really developing their thoughts and ultimately would churn out more substanceless reviews that don't help anybody.

If you write detailed reviews, thats good, and i enjoy those too. But i like to keep my writing short, i dont wanna repeat myself and i want to avoid speicifc examples in the story (since spoilers). Whenever i want to add or rephrase something, i can do so later in an edit. Imo short reviews might be even more helpful than longer ones, since theyre easier to go through, when trying to evaluate a suggestion. Lets say, my friend tells me "hey look, check this anime out". Would you rather go through 200 line reviews all revealing some parts of the plot. Or through 3 sentence reviews who each focus on an aspect that users liked or didnt like?

Word limits are not rly a barrier for troll, spam or bots. These can add lines automatically or with very little effort.
The real benefit of word limits is to prevent missclicks. So no empty review gets submitted or to prevent a user of submitting prematurely by a missclick (tab-enter or something).
Right now, they also prevent good reviews though and provide an incentive to break other rules/guidelines (no summary, no spoilers).

You don't need to repeat yourself if you already have a solid foundation to base your think pieces on. I barely talk about the story in any of my reviews because I find that putting more emphasis on the emotional expectations to be far more engaging. That way the audience can fill in the blanks and form some sort of expectation from reading my review, without making things too black and white.

No, that's completely wrong. We would get a lot more trolls if we shortened it. Word limits are obnoxious to lazy trolls because it means they have to write more stuff. The whole line argument also doesn't work since mods can easily spot those out in an instance and take the review down. It's not like you have to write a million paragraphs in your review either, going into every needless detail. You're gonna have a hard time selling people on a series with only a few sentences. I'd also feel pretty insulted if my thorough and well-written review got topped by some guy saying "yea it was cool i guess i liked it"

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Oct 20, 2020 6:09 PM

Oct 2014
I'm honestly surprised it's even as low as it is. I actually tried writing an absolutely minimally passing review and it's crazy how little they require you to write. 500 characters is nothing, even if that is excluding spaces. If you want to write a bunch of short ass reviews then keep them for the specific anime boards or post them in your blog.
Jan 21, 2022 12:13 PM

Nov 2013
It might be a bit challenging to write 500 letters about those few minute long anime or few pages long one-shots, but if you struggled to fulfill this minimum word count for a show, I honestly don't think there was enough valuable info in that would be review.

3 regular sentences are definitely not enough for a review.

scrimau said:
Would you rather go through 200 line reviews all revealing some parts of the plot. Or through 3 sentence reviews who each focus on an aspect that users liked or didnt like?

I'll take the 200 lines one, there is no way anything relevant would be covered within just few sentences. "I like show XY because it has good characters. The story is also very very nice. I would really recommend watching this." - here, a three sentence review you could copapyste for literally any show. Do you see my point?
abystoma2Jan 21, 2022 12:16 PM
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 11, 2022 12:29 PM

Oct 2007
So, I just tried to write a short and concise review about an anime I really liked. Surprise, surprise I can't submit it without padding it out to some arbitrary length. Guess what, I wont bother now or later.
Dec 11, 2022 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
Kortfattat said:
So, I just tried to write a short and concise review about an anime I really liked. Surprise, surprise I can't submit it without padding it out to some arbitrary length. Guess what, I wont bother now or later.

I doubt any value was lost if you couldn't even achieve the bare minimum of word limit. System working as intended.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 4, 2023 2:18 AM
Oct 2012
Kortfattat said:

Yeah same thing happened to me. The fact that we can't submit reviews that are twice as long as many existing reviews (!!!) is really stupid.
Jan 4, 2023 7:17 PM

Oct 2014
Should be higher imo. It's higher on Anilist and IMDB, the reviews on those sites with the minimum character count tend to be more substantive than MAL reviews that barely pass. I think we should set the bar higher, not lower. 
Jan 4, 2023 7:19 PM

Feb 2021
RebelPanda my goat!

Honestly I think it's fine the way it is, though AniList's system is also kinda nice. 
Jan 6, 2023 3:26 AM
Oct 2012
RebelPanda said:
Should be higher imo. It's higher on Anilist and IMDB, the reviews on those sites with the minimum character count tend to be more substantive than MAL reviews that barely pass. I think we should set the bar higher, not lower. 

Why? Does every one shot really need a review as long as the combined text on all of the pages? You're just going to end up with every other review unintentionally having spoilers if every review has to be unreasonably long. There was already a system in place which allowed the community dictate which reviews should be visible and which shouldn't, implementing arbitrary rules like this will only lead to worse reviews that say the same thing, just with more words. Just like some people don't like watching three minute movie trailers that spoil half the movie, some people don't like reading 5,000 word reviews that spoil half of the plot. Not to mention the fact that the absolute worst reviews I've read on this site (and there are a lot of them) also always happen to be some of the longest. At least a bad review that's short is a quick read. The unreasonably long ones written by someone who is clearly about 13 years old are the only problem reviews I've seen ever really seen on MAL.
Jan 6, 2023 6:35 PM

Oct 2022
How is it possible to write a review too short. I often check the limitations on web sites to make sure I don't write too much. Why bother entering one if you don't have anything to say? 
I'd think most people would write as much as possible. I think my reviews are long but I've read some that were so long I got bored after 10 minutes. you get to write all kinds of thoughts about anime why would you want to remove the requirement to actually say something. If all you can say is "I thought it was ok 6/10" then why bother?
Jan 8, 2023 10:16 AM
Sep 2018
+1

I think that long reviews are poison. I don't want to be reading 6 paragraphs, at that point I can just go and watch the show.A lot of casual people will get scared when they see the wall of text for a single review, it also takes the moment of surprise and some enjoyment from the show,..

I want to read maybe two paragraphs, what type of show it is and hod good it is,.. It should be summarized in less than 8 sentences,..

Understand that trolling is a problem, but rather would count on upvoting/downvoting than having to scroll through each single review.
Apr 2, 2023 12:29 PM

Jan 2016
I wonder if you all ever read movie reviews from professional critics for magazines and newspapers, you know, guys that have their own columns and are paid to publish... yeah sometimes it can be lengthy but sometimes not, you can notice direction, art, story and recommend it or not in a few lines, you don't need to go describing everything... I mean, you guys really want to be reading the same synopsis already on description over and over again?

The minimum is something above 500 or perhaps 600 it seems, if you want to review some short animation you end up with more words than the script itself lol

I vouch for 250... about trolls they usually write one sentence in caps and copy paste it a hundred times anyway
PxHCApr 2, 2023 12:33 PM

Apr 9, 2023 10:12 AM

Dec 2020
The reviews on MAL do have the (pseudo-)professional movie reviewer vibe. Personally it is not for me. They are just too excessive.

I don't need a review that deeply analyzes direction, soundtrack, voice acting performance and cinematography to decide, if I want to watch "Reincarnated As A Underwear Vendor In Another World - Now I Lure My Harem Into My Shop!". 

Reading 3 reviews may take longer then watching the first episode of a show lol 
Apr 9, 2023 10:54 AM

Sep 2010
Limit should be zero and they should add a filter for review length. I don't want to write nor read the entire bible about some Chinese cartoons. The review system in it's current state is pretty much unusable. Writing a lot of words doesn't make a review better and none of you guys is a professional anyway. If I wanted to read a good review I wouldn't use MAL in the first place so please stop acting so pretentious.
Jun 27, 2023 2:52 PM
Apr 2023
I honestly have to agree with ateks, all I generally want out of a review is to know weather people liked it or not and a little bit of why. I don't need or want story spoilers or excess detail. Long winded reviews seem more like something you go back and read AFTER you finish the show and not so much before. If I see a show has a majority of negative reviews I might read more to find out why then proceed to skip it, but when its positive reviews I have to prefer short and sweet before I dive right into the show. It's fine if people want to write long reviews but in all honesty I don't want to read them until I've finished reading/watching the show/manga.
Jun 27, 2023 3:08 PM

Jan 2016
This review is against guidelines... but what else was needed to say? Repeat the plot that is already written in the synopsis?

(if any mod feels like this rule breaking is harming the community, by any means, remove it)

Jun 27, 2023 10:26 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
I mean. MEH. As someone who writes reviews (not here) I don't see value in an attempted written review in sparse sentence structure. Can short reviews be good, sure. Do most people have poignant thoughts to pull that off? NO.
StripesJun 27, 2023 10:35 PM
Jun 28, 2023 1:11 PM

Sep 2010
Imagine writing an 1k words essay just for it to be deleted by some mod for no reason lol
Jun 30, 2023 11:05 AM

Jul 2017
Should there be a minimum character requirement for reviews? Well, I'm not entirely sure, but 500 characters in a review doesn't seem like all that much; that's roughly around 5-7 sentences or so. If an anime was interesting enough to you that you would want to write a review, then I personally don't think that 5-7 sentences would be too big of a challenge.

If we decrease the minimum requirement for a review to something like "300 characters minimum" for example, that would be the equivalent of around 3-4 sentences total, and reviews that are that short tend to be reviews where the person has very little substance and value to say lol. It makes me wonder "are they writing those reviews for themselves and not for others to read?"
Jul 2, 2023 2:55 PM
Jan 2023
You guys seem to forget that your review will be posted alongside many others.

Given how many people will skim through tens of reviews at once I'd say that there is space for both types of reviews to coexist.

Let casuals write their sort summaries and if someone wants to shoot an attempt at a professional review let them write as much as they want.

This way people who want to read a full review could easily find it in the list and people who just want to get a feel for the type of story can go through short reviews of a bunch of different people.

And I'd like to add that I was previously noticing a lot of (what I consider to be) long low effort reviews which I now believe was just people babbling on to meet some arbitrary requirement.
Jul 2, 2023 8:14 PM

Oct 2012
As someone that writes long-ish reviews, I agree that short 3 sentence reviews can have substance. Anything that comments on the enjoyment of a work is technically a review. People have different goals and look for different things in reviews. Some people want detail, others just want it quick and to the point.

Stripes said:
I mean. MEH. As someone who writes reviews (not here) I don't see value in an attempted written review in sparse sentence structure. Can short reviews be good, sure. Do most people have poignant thoughts to pull that off? NO.
Let the readers decide that.

ateks said:
Imagine writing an 1k words essay just for it to be deleted by some mod for no reason lol
You're right. That's why I always copy my review into my notes. It's a way to organize my thoughts first and foremost. Whether it impresses a bunch of randos is secondary.
AI_is_the_future said:
+1

I think that long reviews are poison.
Partially agree. Reviews should express what they author has in mind and be as short as possible while doing that. If a review is too brief, then it might fail to express the author's thoughts. If the review isn't succinct, then it wastes the readers' times. I immediately roll my eyes and move on whenever I read a review that makes quotes and descriptive topic sentences for aesthetic purposes. Every sentence should be written to further a point, or it shouldn't be written.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 15, 2:42 PM
Jan 2024
I TOTALLY AGREE

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
3 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 12 hours ago

1 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.