Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 3, 2020 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode, covering Chapters 78 & 79, it's the black-faced Rin's time of despair. I'd swear this girl's got some bad feelings of vibes...

Her questions to lift the Soma curse from cunning 2nd right-hand man Shigure (after Hatori) to save Hatsuharu, it's not even a thought to defy Akito in the very first place if her end goal is the boy of her life, and eventually for her absolute freedom. Until then, she's always suck into the constant vortex of bad dreams, ranging from her childhood to her present life.

Rin's past with Haru, the boy that lit her life in the constant of darkness. And the hatred that still lingers badly in the hospital with Kazuma, and Haru standing up for her against her parents, it all becomes full circle as he spent his time with her growing up together in recuperation and emotional therapy thereafter amidst her constant withdrawals.

The moment of Haru's confession to Rin despite the heavy rain-down warning of Akito though, it was enough to break her heart and desire him the most each and everytime, and his "Wanna kiss?" moment might just have single-handedly gave her hope to live on and pursue the cursed relationship. A warped love that turned into a relationship that was ultimately foiled by the God herself, Akito's hatred for women is lethal (if that wasn't obvious with Tohru's conflict at the end of Season 1), and the fear uprising from just her grip alone, to make her feel useless once again. I'd swear this woman has no limits of being the antagonist that everyone hates in the manga, and that's the sign of a GOOD antagonist.

"I want to free you...from all your bondage." The escape plan of both Rin and Hatsuharu in the pursuit of happiness, only when nothing is left, then they both can rest in peace.

What a solemn episode, just purely having goosebumps throughout 25 minutes of pure terror.
KANLen09Aug 3, 2020 3:03 PM
Aug 3, 2020 10:59 AM

Apr 2019
What an amazing episode. Honestly got goosebumps throughout the episode. Episode focused around Rin and her traumatizing past and how that still hold up and haunts her to this day. Every episode this season really just hits hard. Can’t wait for next week!

Aug 3, 2020 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
One of the darkest but also emotional episodes I've seen this season so far.

Rin's complicated personality and being at the wrath of Akito made it so impactful at the end. But also, Haru's personality and relationship with her character made this episode very important. Their past together is perhaps one of the most emotional ones I've seen this from this franchise.

Rin's VA also played her character really well imo.
Aug 3, 2020 11:03 AM
Jul 2020
Pure suffering through out the episode. I never disliked rin, so the episode hit much more.
Someone tell me how not to fall in love with Haru? Please
My heart couldn't take more, literally. Cried while the ED played.
Rin is another great character with great suffering and even greater sacrifice. I wished for some more intimate scenes between rin and haru for some reason.
Next episode will probably something light.
This week another epic episode!! 9/10
Loved it to the core.
Aug 3, 2020 11:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was something
Aug 3, 2020 11:09 AM
Oct 2016
Oh Lord. The big Rin episode. Shattered my heart again and again over the course of this episode. Run carries the weight of a thousand worlds on her shoulders. That girl is built from titanium. She has been through so damn much that would normally destroy people. It almost did her but she's somehow pushing through and searching for a way to break the curse. This was a big episode filling in a lot of info about Rin. Showed the full version of that conversation she had with Shigure. He says he doesn't know how to break the curse but everything Shigure says these days is unclear.

The backstory for Rin hurts so much to see. Her parents pretending to be happy with a zodiac child. Only for them to snap under that pressure leading to the constant abusing her all those years. It's just so sad to see. Rin having her happy childhood destroyed by the zodiac curse. Then finally finding someone who wanted her with Haru. Their scenes this episode were the best part but still so sad. Haru standing up for Rin when her parents left was so beautiful. Haru is truly a best boi.

The pain crescendo happening when Akito throws Rin off the balcony. Saying she's not wanted again and that she's only there to fill the horse's slot. A painful moment in more ways than one but it leads Rin to the conclusion that breaking the curse is the only way to save Haru. To cast him away while she hunts for answers. Happy that Tohru found Rin and took care of her.
Aug 3, 2020 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
An episode focusing on Rin, her past and her relationship with Haru.
I really feel sorry for Rin.

This episode made me hate Akito. Was Akito intending to kill Rin?

So Rin was looking for a way to get rid of the "curse" all this time for the sake of Haru.

Aug 3, 2020 11:14 AM
Aug 2019
One of the darkest moments in Fruits Basket finally animated.
Rin is still haunted by the past of her family.
Akito's hate for women seems to finally clearly been stated and also that long black hair.
When the god of the zodiac says they don't need you to the person of a zodiac member that really is gonna hurt them.
Also noticed the person who must not be named had a small cameo in Rin's flashback.
TellatezAug 3, 2020 11:52 AM

Aug 3, 2020 11:21 AM
Sep 2015
The most frightening revelation in this episode is that Haru is not a virgin anymore. Yes, his back side virginity is most likely stay intact, but I want to savour him in every side, not just his back. And Rin took my pleasure away from me. Wow, I could totally see myself playing a God role in this anime.
Aug 3, 2020 11:30 AM
May 2017
Do police and law even exist in this anime?
Aug 3, 2020 11:38 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rytakahashi09 said:

In Fruits Basket, Akito is the powerful being in the universe. Nothing or no one can go against his woman hating azz.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 3, 2020 11:44 AM
May 2019
Rytakahashi09 said:
Sohma family is like a cult clan and they are very wealthy family, even if someone filed a complaint about them, it's easy for them to handle, Second they can't let outsiders interfere because if they did the whole world would know about the zodiac curse and it would create lot more problems, It's not that easy
Aug 3, 2020 11:52 AM

Jan 2018
Really really emotional episode showing Rin's harsh and traumatizing past, how her and Haru's sweet relationship started.

Rin's arc is one of my favourite arcs from the manga. Can't wait for the next episode. Again great episode.
Aug 3, 2020 11:53 AM
Dec 2019
this was probably the darkest episode for me damn holy
Aug 3, 2020 12:04 PM
May 2017
Farabeuf said:

In Fruits Basket, Akito is the powerful being in the universe. Nothing or no one can go against his woman hating azz.

Sayali567 said:
Sohma family is like a cult clan and they are very wealthy family, even if someone filed a complaint about them, it's easy for them to handle, Second they can't let outsiders interfere because if they did the whole world would know about the zodiac curse and it would create lot more problems, It's not that easy

"Help! Somebody just got pushed down a multi-storey house",
Cops : "Who did that?"
"The God Himself"
Cops : "WTF? We mess with no God, son"
Aug 3, 2020 12:06 PM
Jul 2020
Am i the only one who wanted Haru curse rin's parents with all his might?
Aug 3, 2020 12:08 PM

Feb 2018
I was kind of waiting to learn more about the mysterious Rin, and this did not disappoint. This was one of my favorite episodes in the series, even if parts were difficult to watch.

Also, looks like Rin and Haru were doing a bit more than just kissing. Actually sort of refreshing to see an anime that doesn't pretend people, even *gasp* teenagers, never ever have sex.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 3, 2020 12:24 PM

Sep 2008
Back into heavy stuff with this episode. Chapters 78 and 79 were adapted to cover Isuzu's backstory. Not much was changed in this episode beyond some scene additions or shortening some dialogue for the most part. Here were changes I noticed in this episode:

-The opening of Chapter 78 originally started with a narration from Isuzu reflecting on her relationship with Haru as she observes Kisa and Hiro walking together.
-While Hiro’s scolding his mother being irresponsible, there is a removed part of the scene where Hiro’s mother comments that she is in control of herself and Hiro says this is a lie.
-Throughout the episode, there are clips of a doll shown at points meant to symbolize the brokenness of Isuzu’s family relationship. These are shown during parts of her flashbacks reflecting on living with her parents and during her love confession to Haru.
-Some of the doctor’s dialogue exchange with Kazuma at the hospital was removed for the anime.
-While at the hospital, Isuzu had an IV drip inserted in her left arm in the manga.
-Some of Isuzu’s inner monologue at Kagura’s house was removed from the anime. The part removed had Isuzu feeling disgusted at seeing the sight of a normal family dynamic with Kagura’s family when thinking of the abusive relationship she had with her parents.
-Isuzu recalling her encounters with Haru got shortened a bit for the anime.
-Isuzu’s thoughts on wanting to love Haru and feeling uneasy with where things would go with their relationship following their confession got removed from the anime.
-Some of Isuzu’s thoughts while being confronted by Akito were removed from the anime.
Aug 3, 2020 12:30 PM

May 2014
I told ya'll this isn't just some cutsy anime boy meets anime girl series T_T Brb while i cry
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Aug 3, 2020 12:30 PM

Mar 2017
I feel so sorry for Rin; she was such a kind, gentle and compassionate girl and the world around her just completely broke her. However, even though it may appear that she changed after Akito pushed her out the window, she never really did; everything she's doing and the entire reason that she's shut everone out is completely for other people. She's still so selfless and beautiful and she's one of the best written characters of this anime.

She and Haru's relationship is so beautiful too; they love each other unconditionally and help hold each other together. I want them to be able to be together and bring each other the happiness they deserve.

Also, can we all appreciate Kazuma; that man has single-handedly supported a majority of the Sohma kids and given them the care and attention that they needed to keep sane. Anime best dad for sure!
Aug 3, 2020 12:33 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Rin's abuse was depicted in such a heartbreaking manner. Thankfully once the abuse was realized they got her out of the situation quickly, but the effects of abuse can last a lifetime. Spending every day feeling sick because of the psychological trauma must have taken such a toll on Rin. For her to end up on the receiving end of Akito's abuse is also terrible. The curse can't be broken soon enough!

Also, does anyone know the name of the insert song that played during this episode?
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Aug 3, 2020 12:34 PM

Oct 2017
this is gonna sound so bad but why did I start laughing when akito pushed rin out the window
Aug 3, 2020 12:36 PM

Feb 2020
wow, that was quite an emotional episode form last week's one.

i always wondered why rin was cold towards her foster family when they were treating her well and towards haru if haru saw nothing was going on. all the trauma she went through but she's grateful that haru made her happy ):

i find it cute that rin is older than haru lmao. i like how haru is so straightforward when confessing to rin. when he stood up to her in the hospital too.

hiro is so cute - i wish we get to see him more often. kisa really makes him kinder. i'm glad he reacted to rin falling down. rin looked so emotionless when she was pushed by akito - she really had enough if feeling unwanted hhh.

she looks like she will be talking to tohru next ep? seeing the preview hmm..
Aug 3, 2020 1:04 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing episode, I expected one only dedicated to Rin and it just happened. Her tragic backstory was just revealed : she's one of the unluckiest Zodiac members I guess...

But I believe in Tohru's to bring back some light in her dark life.
Aug 3, 2020 1:23 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
we got rin's backstory and it was devastating, this girl needs a hug and a speech from tohru immediately, i hope that next episode will deliver just that.

on another note, akito is basically at irredeemable status for me, i was really holding out hope for akito, that even if it can't be justified, at least there will be some explanation, but i don't know what backstory will be shown, but it can hardly negate such cruel abuse, especially of those that view akito as a god and hang from their every word, at least for most of the other zodiacs it is framed as some twisted love or care for one's possessions, but to reject rin like that, that's a kyo level tragedy, that doesn't even have anything to do with sohma and zodiac traditions, it's just flat out personal.
Aug 3, 2020 1:27 PM

May 2015
Wow, just wow. I didn't think anything could top S1's finale, but this easily does that and then some. This is not only the best episode of the entire series so far, but it might be the best episode of anything I've seen this year. I had chills the whole time, and I can't remember the last time I've felt that way.

Aug 3, 2020 1:32 PM

May 2019
So basically Akito was mad at Rin because she touched a member of her harem of pretty Sohma bois. She's like those delusional KPop boy group fans who send death threats to the girls the members date lol

Anyway, even though her story was very emotional and I felt very bad for Rin for not receiving love from anyone but Haru on top of serious physical abuse, it still doesn't justify her previous actions of treating every single person like trash. So I still don't like her.

Edit: Also, Sohmas definitely fail at parenting. I'm kinda tired of seeing parent abuse being used again and again on every zodiac member.
bluninjaAug 3, 2020 1:36 PM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Aug 3, 2020 1:55 PM

Feb 2014
Rin's backstory was probably the darkest part in all of the Fruits Basket manga and seeing it in animated form delivers that gut-wrenching feeling of despair and sadness all over again.

It's the whole reason why she suffers from PTSD. Since she's part of the zodiac, the parents will either be over-protective or just flat out reject them. Rin's parents was the latter and the hell she went through just makes me want to to deliver a pitch fork to her parent's faces.

The main saving grace for her was Haru, who really helped her when she needed it and, inevitably, both of them fell in love with each other. However, that happiness would be short-lived when Akito found out about their relationship.

We've already known how deplorable Akito can be with how he's treated Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, Momiji, Kisa and Hattori, but what he ended up doing to "punish" Rin was on a level of pure scum. Not only did he slap her and tormented her, but he went to push her off the balcony, much to the horror of Hiro, who was walking by the room. Seeing Rin fall from that height onto the ground below and more specifically, landing on the sole rock, explains how she has that big scar on her back, but it does send shivers down my spine just seeing how much blood she lost during that horrific scene.

Even in the present, she's still trying to find a way to break the curse by herself, as her full discussion with Shigure from before shows that even he doesn't know the answer. It got too much for her as she collapsed and went into another panic attack when Tohru approached her.

Overall, this episode was excellent. It was able to capture the heart-breaking backstory of Rin and makes sure that, from start to finish, we go through brutal scenes after scenes of her desperate struggle and it leaves us simply at a loss for words by the end of the episode.
Aug 3, 2020 2:03 PM
Apr 2020
A whole lot of unconvincing melodrama.

From the way it was depicted Rin's mother and father had anger issue, but they were normal until one day she questioned them? Seriously? People who have problem with anger have them from childhood, what often happens is that parents who do not know how to deal with a child's emotions and their own are unable to teach the child how to deal with them. No one develops anger issues out of the blue.

Majo_no_HanaAug 3, 2020 2:16 PM
Aug 3, 2020 2:09 PM

Sep 2008
MikuruSi said:
EDIT: Does anyone know the title/singer of the song that played in the end while Rin was falling down?

Haseru Mirai by Uta Arii. It's the same song that played at the ending of the 7th episode of this "season" of the series with Yuki and Tohru's alone time at the Sohma summer house.
Aug 3, 2020 2:16 PM

Feb 2015
Yea agreed, this was far, far too melodramatic for me to find it genuinely impactful. And the rich and powerful copout does has its limits, and even if it's mostly true, it's somewhat annoying to see the same basic troped used over and over.
Aug 3, 2020 2:17 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Holy moly, what an episode! Up there with Hanajima-san's backstory episode from the franchise for me: dark, depressing & heart-breaking at its finest.

And to top it off, that final whole moment between her and Akito - it was on another level of spine-chills.

Haru, come to the rescue ASAP! Dat whole sequence of her selflessly wishing for Haru's best while falling down was especially touching, god Akito needs punishment. Divine punishment.

Is this where her injury from her shoulder blade is from though? Thank Goodness it wasn't more physically serious than that then.

A genuine insight into her motive this episode, and honestly I can't wait to see more of it!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 3, 2020 2:19 PM

Aug 2016
Man by far the greatest episode of the season so far. What a amazing buildup to this episode. Lets hope toru chan can help her out.
Aug 3, 2020 2:22 PM

Feb 2016
There's no brakes for the feels train ;_; man poor Rin, she surely had a terrible childhood. Seems like she has more things in common with Yuki than I thought, both linked to Akito and having problems with their parents... Damn

That insert song was really beautiful wtf, Damn you Akito

Haru is the real CHAD btw, what a man!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 3, 2020 2:36 PM
Mar 2015
Great job of showing the abuse by her parents and Akito and the love that Haur has for her
Aug 3, 2020 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
It proves to show that you can't judge a book by its cover. Rin, whose cold demeanor is likely to be seen as ill-mannered by the average person, carries quite the weighty suffering in her shoulders. Her unsightly, miserable parents acted in such a horrible, deceiving way that soon became the groundwork for her most latent fear; abandonment, causing a PTSD to emerge and a desire to be accepted and loved unconditionally by someone, hence how Haru became her supporting pillar, an indestructible part of her life, the light at the end of the tunnel. It is both romantic and bittersweet.

Akito keeps getting more and more twisted with each episode. This time around, though, she attempted to murder someone, an individual who is part of her family circle. To be so warped as to do such a thing...
Aug 3, 2020 2:42 PM
Apr 2020
Such a nice episode. I liked seeing more of Rins story. I had been dying to know. And Hatsuharu like always wa a being so pure 😭 Tohru oh babyyyy. Thank you Tohruuuu
Aug 3, 2020 3:00 PM

Jul 2017
DAMNNNNNNNN what an ep that was. ok, can see why people were hyping up Rin's story

but have to say, that OST was fukin amazingly done
Aug 3, 2020 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
Well, this season has really taught me that Akito should burn in hell, but let's just add Rin's parents to that list.. Just horrible.

Tohru with that embrace on Rin! Bless this girl, honestly!! Too good for the Souma's!

This is probably one of the most dark and depressing back stories so far. Rin had to carry this traumatic experience all this time and it caused her so much suffering along the way. Loved that eventho he was young, Haru stood up for her!! I also get how they got in a relationship now! They would be great couple together.

Also, just to get something positive out of this episode, Rin has an amazing sense of fashion! Love it!

I am just gonna repeat myself again.. AKITO SHOULD BURN IN HELL!!! Eventho Rin had found her happiness with Haru, she just had to trigger her PTSD again.. and not just that, Akito threw her out of the window... Despicable person!!
Aug 3, 2020 3:20 PM
Jul 2020
This episode really showed me that it's impossible to hate any of the zodiacs and that akito is a horrible, sniveling whore who should burn in hell. Can't wait for tohru to beat her ass up.
Aug 3, 2020 3:21 PM
Jul 2020
And damn, fruit basket is one of the best backstory animes i've ever seen!!!
Aug 3, 2020 3:44 PM

May 2015
This was the best episode in the series thus far and we still got people whining about "mElOdRaMa". 😂

Aug 3, 2020 3:51 PM

Jan 2019
Majo_no_Hana said:
A whole lot of unconvincing melodrama.

From the way it was depicted Rin's mother and father had anger issue, but they were normal until one day she questioned them? Seriously? People who have problem with anger have them from childhood, what often happens is that parents who do not know how to deal with a child's emotions and their own are unable to teach the child how to deal with them. No one develops anger issues out of the blue.

It was more that they were basically acting and putting up a mask that they were happy and weren’t angry about anything. That is why they snapped cause they were questioned about why they were so “happy.” Because it was a complete act and they were just holding onto a lot of hate and animosity towards their daughter that they just let all of it out. This is something common with narcissists because you often don’t know the true nature of narcissists until you get to know them and their masks come off.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Aug 3, 2020 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was so sad. I feel so bad for Rin. I wanted to hug her the whole time.

I wasn't sure about her character before, but now I want to protect her.
Aug 3, 2020 4:30 PM

Jan 2008
More and more this season, I hate Akito.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Aug 3, 2020 4:42 PM

Jun 2015
Sweet baby jesus can this show be intense. The themes and topics it covers is a testament to the forward thinking often found in the early 2000 stuff long before Western culture latched onto such ideas and decided to go full social justice warrior like they were the first to make a statement.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 3, 2020 4:48 PM

Mar 2019
I don't know if I ever hated and can hate a character more than Akito. Someome really needs to tell her/him/it a lesson...there are bad Gods confirmed.

Rin is for me the most beautiful girl in FB actually and saying her suffer like that is just so sad. She really deserves all the happiness
Aug 3, 2020 4:49 PM

Oct 2010
Awful parents but I really really can't get why no one fights back against Akito. She deserves to die (pretty sure it's a girl tbh)
Aug 3, 2020 5:09 PM

Apr 2014
Man. Even though a friend had to spoil it a bit. I can't help but feel freaking broken and shocked. What the freaking hell... Damn it all...
Aug 3, 2020 5:26 PM
Sep 2017
MikuruSi said:
When you think you can't hate Akito more, Akito throws an innocent and full of trauma teenager through the window after abusing her verbally and physically. This evil character won't die probably but I wish they would. Freaking monster ugh

This. At this point, I honestly don’t care if Akito was tortured as a child - absolutely nothing could serve as a reason or an excuse for the things Akito has done as “god” of the Sohmas.

And Rin’s mother & father are just another set of people that should never be allowed to procreate, along with Kyo’s parents, Yuki’s, and Momoji’s. I mean seriously - wth is wrong with these people?!?

Haru is so wonderful - how could Rin (or practically anybody) not fall in love with him? Also - thank goodness for Kazuma - helping out all these poor zodiac kids.

But ... I am so conflicted about Shigure - I honestly can’t tell if he’s mostly good or bad. I want him to be good, but.... idk.

Anyway - I’m looking forward to seeing Rin interact with Tohru next week.
FB is the only reason I look forward to Mondays!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 17, 2020

74 by anijumper44 »»
Apr 3, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

239 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

141 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

90 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2020

123 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 3:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.