Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2018 8:52 AM
先輩

Apr 2016
i dont even know what the fansub group was anyway so i can live without it, glad things are back to normal for the most part
Sep 15, 2018 9:28 AM

Jun 2013
As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

Why did you add the first part of the sentence ? Was it necessary to insult fansub and to show your lack of knowledge about the anime world ?

So, it might surprise you but NOT ALL ANIME ARE LICENSED IN ALL LANGUAGES.
Sorry, but the "CR are just, fansub are evil" gimmicks really makes me angry.
Sep 15, 2018 10:26 AM

Feb 2013
Rignak said:
As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

Why did you add the first part of the sentence ? Was it necessary to insult fansub and to show your lack of knowledge about the anime world ?

So, it might surprise you but NOT ALL ANIME ARE LICENSED IN ALL LANGUAGES.
Sorry, but the "CR are just, fansub are evil" gimmicks really makes me angry.

The fansub section was trash anyway, full of moronic comments by trolls favouring crappy literal subs over quality subs. It's best gone. Anyone who wants fansubs should already know where to get them.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Sep 15, 2018 10:59 AM
Oct 2014
myanimelistllc said:

lmao. absolutely insane.
Sep 15, 2018 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
Sad to see that Fansubs have been removed, its all thanks to Crunchyroll partnership they have right now.
Sep 15, 2018 12:09 PM

Mar 2018
Shame about the fansubs, but well... *shrug*
"Look at my avatar! It's made out of high-quality pixels!"
-Hab 2018
Sep 15, 2018 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
Bernkastle said:

The fansub section was trash anyway, full of moronic comments by trolls favouring crappy literal subs over quality subs. It's best gone. Anyone who wants fansubs should already know where to get them.

Exactly, or trolls trashing good groups as well, mostly during fansubs "golden age". Well, it was a history of many fansub groups, some of you may not want to remember the name...
It's quite unexpected it survived so far already.

Please make a good API, with support for easy covers fetching for our beloved cover generator devs.
Sep 15, 2018 12:43 PM

Jul 2017
Removing the fansub feature is a loss :/
Sep 15, 2018 1:02 PM
Jul 2017
Just here to say that I've lost the last thing keeping me on MAL, I moved to another site after their last blunder, and just came here to easily and quickly find the best group to watch for a show.

I don't agree with it being harmful to the industry, if anything would have a significant impact on the industry it would be the illegal streaming sites, and fansubs don't affect them, they'll use fansubs or official subs doesn't matter to them.

What I really don't get though, is why now? If this was really to support the industry then why did they wait so long to remove it. If it's because their partners don't like it, why was it not an issue up until this point.
Sep 15, 2018 1:53 PM

Feb 2017
fansub? we could google it right away anyway in any choice of language

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Sep 15, 2018 2:48 PM

Jun 2007
As far as "efforts to support the anime and manga industry" go, is it possible to block the 3rd-party extensions that allow people to link their activity on bootleg streaming sites to MAL and automatically update their lists? While that might not directly support the industries, it would remove an advantage that bootleg streaming sites have over legitimate services, since legal streaming sites cannot provide integration with databases like MAL.
Sep 15, 2018 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
i dont really understand about website technical stuff, but could u guys from MAL implements the anime affinity search made by @overmes (http://affinity.animesos.net/) into MAL, or at least help him fix his websites with the API problem.. thanks..

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Sep 15, 2018 3:47 PM

Sep 2012
Nice to see it's back like it used to be.
Seeing the fansub section gone is a bit sad, but there are alternatives for that, so it probably was a necessary step.

And OMG, we can update the seasonals with the + Symbol again, this was the feature I missed the most!
valoonSep 15, 2018 3:51 PM
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 15, 2018 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
Remove to improve, hooray...

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.
So it was more of a legal/licensing problem than a security problem. Just be honest from the get-go.

Also, I liked it much better when Xinil, Kineta or any other, actual profile made these types of news instead of just some generic social media response account. Anyway, great that the Staff page is back again; I was missing it in the road map of things to fix.
Sep 15, 2018 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
Oh look, one more fuck up added to mal.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 15, 2018 4:51 PM

Mar 2014
"Ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry", more like "we were given sweet $$$s by Crunchytroll and decided to withgo our own principles, just like they decided to withgo their principles once upon a time when they were given sweet $$$s and then started propagating against the evils of piracy despite the fact that they wouldn't have gotten anywhere had it not been for the existence of piracy". Just be honest, you got paid and the money got to you.
Tyrel said:
DeNa trash as always.
They actually made me miss Crave Online
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 15, 2018 4:52 PM

Oct 2014
This is rubbish, the fansubs function was an invaluable resource... please change your mind MAL and bring it back.
Sep 15, 2018 6:36 PM
Oct 2012
All of the fansub info should be reinstated, especially for any series that hasn't been licensed in North America / was licensed but not all episodes were released (like Saint Seiya). Forcing users to use AniDB or other sites will just result in MAL losing some money. MAL keeps giving me more reasons to switch back to AniDB.
Sep 15, 2018 7:52 PM

Jun 2016
Greatest Anime website of all time don't @ me.
Sep 15, 2018 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
Wow. You guys are such losers for removing the fansub section. That was one of the most important parts of an anime page.
And your reasoning is really stupid as well. Utterly disgraceful.
Sep 15, 2018 10:29 PM

Nov 2011
Swagernator said:
Tyrel said:
:^). That'd be funny, but no I asked to be demodded cause I'm too busy with school and work (Plus I'm sick of DeNa)

It's not like you will be missed as a moderator ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On the contrary, Tyrel has always appeared to do a ton of modding work on MAL’s behalf, which is very helpful when a mod really is needed for something. Say what you will about MAL’s staffing policies or the admins’ decisions, but Tyrel is cool in my book.

I’m sad to see him go even though it’s understandable.
Sep 15, 2018 11:05 PM

Aug 2014
Gundroog said:
myanimelistllc said:

Removing fansubs to support the industry? Let's be more honest and say it's in an attempt to be more advertiser friendly. Companies are probably a bit more iffy about working with MAL knowing that it offers helpful info about who subbed what and who did it best cause saying it's to support to industry is either ignorant or dishonest. Fansubs and scanlations let people experience anime and manga before western publishers even knew what those words mean. They continue to do so to this day by either translating works that don't have official translations or offering higher quality translations than companies that ask money for it. If they didn't exist I doubt MAL's userbase would be even half as big and Crunchyroll wouldn't even exist to begin with without their less than legal origins.

Existence of other sites that provide this feature doesn't make MAL's reasoning any better.

True though.
Some anime will probably never get licensed unless you buy the across country version with untranslated language.

That came with legal streaming sites with different varieties and they doesn't have full access to some countries or animes.

Fansubs probably the thing that makes anime Community bigger than the publishers.

The Manga/LN itself showing the fact that any of it that remains Untranslated both by fans and publisher will never known despite how good it was.

Calling it to support industry is a BS because the Industry itself have slow productivity and shunned itself for greeds.
Sep 15, 2018 11:12 PM

Mar 2013
You should keep fan subs on nu-licenced anime but then again I know a site that does stuff like this but better.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Sep 15, 2018 11:24 PM

Apr 2014
At least MAL you Should discuss removing fansubs with users it's so bad to do this without any discus with MAL users and i think this is not the best timing to do it.
Sep 16, 2018 12:45 AM

Aug 2007
myanimelistllc said:
Dear Users,

Thank you for using MyAnimeList.

The final features have been restored:

・My Signature
・Database User Submissions
・About Pages
・Tutorials
・Remaining RSS Feeds

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Click here to read a list of all previous announcements.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support of MyAnimeList.

So how does it feel to be a bunch of liars?
Sep 16, 2018 12:45 AM

May 2018
Sadnu :(
Sep 16, 2018 12:49 AM

Mar 2017
Any word on @import?
Sep 16, 2018 1:27 AM
Jul 2018

And it only took like 5 months~

But, you sure like that red button huh. Had to sneak another push there at the end.
Sep 16, 2018 4:52 AM
Jul 2016
They literally promised (okay, heavily implied) that they would bring back fansubs but do it quietly because they don't want to draw attention to it. Definitely feels like they were lying. They've actually been trying to get rid of that section for years, but were just too scared of the community response. They must have thought this was a good opportunity to finally kill it off.

And yes, the main usefulness of that section for me was that I could use it to find illegal free downloads of shows by visiting the fansubbers' websites etc, but it's still disappointing to see MAL siding with the law since the law is bullshit, and clearly MAL was willing to turn a blind eye before.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned AniDB has a similar function, hopefully I'll get used to it cos it seems really confusing to me right now, with way too many groups that don't actually exist listed for each series and so on.

API not being back is also bad, given that it means Affinity search will probably continue to be unavailable for the foreseeable future. Thumbs down!
Sep 16, 2018 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
If only AniDB got better UI making it easier to use it would kill MAL in a blink of an eye... What a landfill this site has become.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 16, 2018 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
yum shillbux
Sep 16, 2018 9:41 AM
Oct 2012
Antanaru said:
If only AniDB got better UI making it easier to use it would kill MAL in a blink of an eye... What a landfill this site has become.

I think that's the only reason why I haven't gone back. I always liked how AniDB included insert songs in the anime info too.
CrownowaSep 17, 2018 7:42 PM
Sep 16, 2018 10:44 AM

Aug 2008
It also has much better and more logical DB structure. It's still a DB while MAL has become some kind of crappy fb/cr addon.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 16, 2018 10:45 AM

Feb 2018
Well, I didn't know who/what fansub was until maybe a few hours ago.

Fansub is definitely part of anime industry. I mean, in anime industry we have formal and informal industry. So, fansub is part of the informal industry, it just doesn't matter whether these subs are used on bootleg sites or whatever.
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 16, 2018 11:49 AM

Oct 2007
>As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.
What a load of bullshit.
Both your site and shits like CrunchyRoll wouldn't even exist without fansubs.

What's the fucking logic behind deleting fansub data of shows which aren't localized by any company? There is none.

You are a bunch of moronic hypocrite scum and should kill yourselves.
Sep 16, 2018 12:00 PM

Oct 2007
Zaugr said:
I'm willing to bet that Crunchyroll would have never even come about without all the old fansub groups' role in making anime as widely popular as it is today, nor would so many companies be interested in releasing their films and shows abroad.
Heh. Reality is far more interesting than you imagined. CrunchyRoll was founded on stolen fansub releases. Fansubs were 100% of CrunchyRoll's existence in its first years and even after they went legal (from a site which steals pirated episodes and demands money for it), big chunk of their employees were ex fansubbers.
Sep 16, 2018 12:20 PM

Feb 2018
> As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

Yeah, Aikatsu!, PreCure, Battle Spirits, Inazuma Eleven, Jewelpet, Appmon, and many other animes that have no "legal" way to watch outside Japan don't exist. Definitely.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Sep 16, 2018 12:49 PM

Nov 2012
lol what MAL has become
stop trying to become crunchyroll v2 or something, this is a database.
Sep 16, 2018 1:38 PM

May 2013
myanimelistllc said:

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers.

Can you elaborate on this part, any date when it's will be done?

Sep 16, 2018 2:20 PM

Feb 2010
Progeusz said:
Zaugr said:
I'm willing to bet that Crunchyroll would have never even come about without all the old fansub groups' role in making anime as widely popular as it is today, nor would so many companies be interested in releasing their films and shows abroad.
Heh. Reality is far more interesting than you imagined. CrunchyRoll was founded on stolen fansub releases. Fansubs were 100% of CrunchyRoll's existence in its first years and even after they went legal (from a site which steals pirated episodes and demands money for it), big chunk of their employees were ex fansubbers.

Wow lol. I think I remember those days. That was like ten years ago! If I recall correctly, they had a super low quality flash player for free, but they would charge for the higher quality player. Haven't used them since tho
Sep 16, 2018 5:15 PM

Mar 2013
Looking forward to any concrete info regarding the API revamp
Sep 16, 2018 6:55 PM

Sep 2010
myanimelistllc said:

Give me a break. The only reason I own so many LICENSED blu-rays, LICENSED manga, LICENSED accessories, and LICENSED figures is because of fan translations. Crunchyroll VRV whatever. HS was consistently the lowest ranked sub option for a reason.

Having the best UI of all of the popular anime/manga tracking sites won't be enough to keep users if you continue removing popular features. Especially when more and more users switch to convenient 3rd party apps to update their watch history.
Sep 16, 2018 7:51 PM

Jul 2010
I'm really glad everything's back and working again (and, just personally, the notification on top of pages, which (on my pc) always took just that little bit longer to load than the page itself, had become very annoying for that very reason).

I have my doubts about whether removing the Fansub Group section will prove to be helpful in the support of the Anime and Manga industry. Will they benefit from this for real and notice a change in real life? Is the impact going to be sufficient enough to actually reach that far? Maybe it will be, though I think it isn't very likely.

The Fansub Group section has always been very helpful whenever I couldn't find an anime series by its name and such. Searching for torrents using the name of fansub groups is kind of my last resort trick to find a series, and it gets the job done almost every time you can't find something in any other way. For me, who frequently looked at it, it just sucks that it's gone now. I'll need to use another site to find them now, and that's probably what the majority of the people here will do whenever they need to know which sub groups subbed what they're looking for.
Sep 17, 2018 1:04 AM

Aug 2007
AshiAshi said:
I'm really glad everything's back and working again (and, just personally, the notification on top of pages, which (on my pc) always took just that little bit longer to load than the page itself, had become very annoying for that very reason).

I have my doubts about whether removing the Fansub Group section will prove to be helpful in the support of the Anime and Manga industry. Will they benefit from this for real and notice a change in real life? Is the impact going to be sufficient enough to actually reach that far? Maybe it will be, though I think it isn't very likely.

The Fansub Group section has always been very helpful whenever I couldn't find an anime series by its name and such. Searching for torrents using the name of fansub groups is kind of my last resort trick to find a series, and it gets the job done almost every time you can't find something in any other way. For me, who frequently looked at it, it just sucks that it's gone now. I'll need to use another site to find them now, and that's probably what the majority of the people here will do whenever they need to know which sub groups subbed what they're looking for.

It won't help at all. The majority of pirates wouldn't buy in the first place.
Sep 17, 2018 4:32 AM

Jun 2013
so any update on API? MAL updater doesnt work because of it, it such a useful program it feels like i am in stone age going on MAL and updating manually
Sep 17, 2018 4:43 AM

Jan 2011
Zalis said:
Though perhaps this decision will breathe more life into the sleepy AniDB release group comments/forums.
I hope so.
Sep 17, 2018 8:20 AM

Jul 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
It won't help at all. The majority of pirates wouldn't buy in the first place.

That too, is true. Plus there's tons of countries (including mine) where, even if you are willing to buy anime/manga stuff (anything at all), you simply can't. Because the right stores are so few in number you'd have to travel far to even visit the nearest one. Speaking for myself, the stores are hard to find, and there are stores that you only discover if you're 'accidentally' spending a day in another city and you're lucky enough to come across one, which doesn't have its address information listed anywhere. Heck, and the stores we have don't sell products from series of which I would buy anything, anything at all. Bright side being that at least there are anime/manga stores located in my country at all. It could be worse.

Long story short: aside from buying from anime stores overseas, the lack of more convenient and customer-friendly options makes me yet another one who pirates. I'm being honest about it (which doesn't make me a good pirate), but I'm not proud of it.

(I'll leave it at that seeing as it's not exactly on-topic...)
Sep 17, 2018 8:35 AM

Feb 2008

I need some support too.
Sep 17, 2018 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
What a shame to delete the fansub group section...
Sep 17, 2018 1:31 PM

Aug 2018
Please asap fix this API we want to use taiga.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
7 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.