Forum Settings
Forums

Media Blasters Acquires Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 1st Season

New
Feb 22, 2010 5:10 PM

Feb 2008
According to Mania.com, Media Blasters recently announced that they licensed the first season of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. The first volume of the DVD will be released on May 25th, containing the first 5 episodes of the show.

Source: Mania.com

Story by desolato
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 22, 2010 5:25 PM

Nov 2009
Good to hear, though I'm sure it will have mixed reception due to the despair element.
Feb 22, 2010 5:31 PM
Feb 2009
Well, there isn't much seriously wrong with the show. He attempts suicide at the beginning, but from there on, since he didn't die, nothing much explicit ever happens again.
Feb 22, 2010 5:49 PM

Mar 2009
nice, ill import it once its out :)
Feb 22, 2010 7:48 PM

Jul 2009
Will most likely buy. I'm interested in how the VAing will work out and how they sub all the crazy background info.
Feb 22, 2010 8:09 PM

Nov 2008
gonna watch this someday
Feb 22, 2010 8:29 PM

Jun 2009
Detective said:
I'm interested in how they sub all the crazy background info.

lol, ya, that makes the show so hopefully they won't just leave it there and ignore it
Feb 22, 2010 9:11 PM

Aug 2009
YES YES YES YES DOOO WANT

(cough how to sub typesets)
Feb 22, 2010 10:48 PM

Oct 2007
Glorious News!

I wondered if SZS would ever get US distribution, especially since there are jokes that have to do with Japanese politics, pop culture, etc. featured frequently. Although it's possible the dub could end up like Shin-chan and those references be replaced with TMZ sound bites.
Feb 23, 2010 2:04 AM

Aug 2009
CheshireSin said:
Glorious News!

I wondered if SZS would ever get US distribution, especially since there are jokes that have to do with Japanese politics, pop culture, etc. featured frequently. Although it's possible the dub could end up like Shin-chan and those references be replaced with TMZ sound bites.

I was wondering about that too, but if I remember correctly, SZS didn't get too Japan-centric until the later seasons. I'm pretty sure the first season stuck to fairly universal despair themes and the psychosis of the girls.
Ha-cha!
Feb 23, 2010 3:37 AM

Nov 2008
OOH mighty despair.. why oh why do I live in this forsaken R2?
Seriously, this is seriously important.
Feb 23, 2010 7:22 AM

Sep 2008
There's no need to wonder how the dub will turn out; it's not going to have one. Media Blasters is just releasing it subbed.
Feb 23, 2010 3:04 PM

Oct 2007
Kippy said:
There's no need to wonder how the dub will turn out; it's not going to have one. Media Blasters is just releasing it subbed.

Even better. Now we don't have to worry about them screwing up the dub. XD

@LightningRamiel - As you said, the first season centered on the introductions of the characters and their quirks. Media Blasters can always do a footnotes feature in the extras for such references for this and perhaps the future *fingers crossed* seasons, but whether they will is another story.
Feb 23, 2010 3:17 PM

Nov 2008
Kippy said:

Hm, strange. The one source including Media Blasters I found just says subs only, while the other I found states they found a list with the credits of the dub actors etc. (But they refrained from posting that one in the OP..)
Mar 27, 2010 5:01 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, this is a series I doubted would ever get an official English translation!
Will definitely buy if it ever gets released in Australia or a box set - I wouldn't want to import a bunch of separate DVDs...
Mar 28, 2010 2:05 AM

Mar 2010
Detective said:
Will most likely buy. I'm interested in how the VAing will work out and how they sub all the crazy background info.

This.

Apr 24, 2010 7:59 PM

Oct 2009
Kippy said:

sub only fails
May 11, 2010 4:51 PM
Jan 2010
May 25th is two weeks away, yet I haven't heard anything about the region one release since it was announced. Is that still coming along, or...?
May 12, 2010 6:47 AM

Jun 2008
CheshireSin said:
Kippy said:

Even better. Now we don't have to worry about them screwing up the dub. XD

Fuck that, I want a dub. ;_;

I mean, it could have sucked, but it would have been released subbed as well and no-one would have been forced to watch it, but now we'll never know if it'd be good or not. D;
And I always wanted to know how anyone could make "I'm in despair!" sound as good as "zetsuboushita!" but I guess now i'll never know. ;_;
May 25, 2010 11:18 AM
Jan 2010
Well, today's the big day.

Haven't heard anything about the actual release, but today was supposedly the drop date, so whatever.

Anyone see this in stores yet?
May 25, 2010 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
FYE & Amazon's websites say it's out but it's not in stock. It's available for rent at Blockbuster online, but has no buying option. It's not on Best Buy's website, probably thanks to their cutbacks on anime. Forget about Media Blaster's website.

Hell, I haven't even seen the US DVD boxart. It might take a week before it goes into full circulation
Aug 10, 2010 10:07 PM
Dec 2009
They damn well better record an English dub to this. Lest they will not receive my money.
Jan 25, 2011 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
I assume this release was dropped? A few months less than a year passed now and as far as I know, absolutely no word of it.

Have to say I'm disappointed. I would really love to see this dubbed...
Apr 15, 2011 9:47 PM

Jul 2010
Did media blasters die? because there has been no SZS
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
May 19, 2011 8:42 AM

Aug 2009
Media Blasters is currently on Twitter where they are currently teasing everyone with hints that they're still working on Zetsubou but can't share any info with anyone. At this point in time, I'd excuse them if they were going to surprise us and have all three seasons subbed or a blu-ray release, but if it's going to just be the barebones minimum, it seems like a cheap move to put it on the back burner, give no reason or excuse as to why, and just go about with their business as if no one cared about it.

Then again, from the looks of it, they've been rather disorganized for a while and their Twitter comments on Zetsubou consisting of "As soon as we have concrete info to share on Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, we promise we will share it", it seems more along the lines of uncertainty than laziness. However, with Twitter followers constantly asking for Zetsubou, I'd think that maybe it'd cause a lightbulb to go off in their heads is that maybe we would rather have Zetsubou than reissues of older licenses, Queens Blade, kaijuu movies, and obscure hentai.

Also, Media Blasters' Twitter, in case they might announce something new on SZS: http://twitter.com/#!/mediablasters
May 19, 2011 9:26 AM
Nov 2008
A Blu-Ray release would be excellent, considering all three seasons (and OVAs) have been released on Blu-Ray in Japan.
May 27, 2011 12:17 AM

Oct 2010
Apparently blu-ray source (even in Japan) sucks. See this:

http://protocol4.animehr.com/?p=454
May 1, 2013 4:25 PM
Feb 2013
On March 8th, 2013, the boss of Media Blasters wrote that "Sayonora Sensei and Moyashimon are titles that were once acquired and no plans to be released at this time. These titles can and may be licensed to another company." (http://www.media-blasters.com/main/index.php/the-news/811-mb-tries-to-clear-some-posts-up)

Not long ago, I discovered SZS and had hoped that I could enjoy it on DVD... so hopefully another company will release it! I'm relatively new to the anime-business; could an experienced anime-fan tell me his/her guess on how long it usually takes for a relatively unknown anime like SZS to be released on DVD? I mean, does it usually take a long time or can it, if a company decides to buy the license, also happen quickly then?
BastwiiMay 1, 2013 4:29 PM
May 1, 2013 4:29 PM

Feb 2010
does it come with a non-creep man face version :| oh this was 3 years ago guess not :(
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Kuroiwa Medaka ni Watashi no Kawaii ga Tsuujinai' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

13 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

39 by Jonas-K »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - May 12

6 by RobertBobert »»
May 12, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.