Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
ACCA 13-Territory Inspection Department
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 11, 2017 1:22 AM

Aug 2009
Its definitely very slow-paced and methodical. The atmosphere seems really relaxed, not really my thing, but it seems like things are gonna get a lot more interesting with a coup d'etait. Really digging the jazzy OST though.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 11, 2017 1:22 AM

Dec 2015
The 1st episode was "okay" only. Maybe I expected too much. Only knew the description from MAL and the art (from the pic). I like the OP (ED is boring though). Felt a bit like Baccano mixed with something else. I also like the char design of some of the chars (5 chief officers) but some others I don't like (those at Jean's office).

I expected some action while investigating + interesting plot/conspiracies. A bit was hinted (coup d'etat) and I hope the plot is progressing fast. Setting/world seem interesting. (Smoking apparently is luxus but alcohol seems more common since the other gut at the end also seemed to have a beer.)

I'm willing to give this 1-2 more episodes - then deciding if I should drop (hopefully more is going to happen by then). But not expecting too much atm. I saw the source manga is made by a female and I usually don't like stories written by females. (At least not if they try too much and stuff like this with politics. Anime based on her Ristorante Paradiso manga ... I liked that but that was a different genre.)
Jan 11, 2017 1:34 AM

Sep 2008
I had never heard of this until a friend started streaming it earlier, so I didn't have any expectations.
I'm very impressed though, so far this is the best I've seen this season. From the funky stylin' OP to the art and setting, I'm surprised to see it score so low. By the end I had to check to see if it wasn't a 40-minute episode, because it did feel long, but in a good way - I guess it's not for everyone.
I'm looking forward to seeing the MC's character be developed in the episodes to come. ^^
(the dichotomy between the OP and the show itself was like death parade over again :D)
Jan 11, 2017 1:39 AM

Sep 2011
This was, all right, I guess. I don't know. This feels like it's gonna be a real slow burn kind of show. Not a bad thing but it does little on a first impression.

Also, I really hope they ran out of time on that ED animation cause it was pretty bad.
Jan 11, 2017 2:46 AM

Feb 2016
The pacing was pretty bad for a 1st episode, but Im gonna keep watching, or maybe wait till it ends?
Also how the fuck am I supposed to quit smoking when they shove it into my face like that? jk, like the MC and original artstyle.

Best OP of this season

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 11, 2017 3:14 AM

Aug 2011
Love the animation and OP. Story kinda slow but look interesting. Will watch until the end.
Jan 11, 2017 5:08 AM

Aug 2016
The opening is awesome!!!
I'm not quite sure what to make out of the story yet, but I'm going to stick around for a few additional episodes to decide whether to watch it until the end or not.
I'm interested but the final "click" is just missing (or just to slow for my taste)

(And this a**hat is going to start a fire with Jean's lighter and leave it there as evidence, right? :/ )
Jan 11, 2017 5:56 AM

May 2010
over 1k ppl already rated it below an overall 7.0 ..jesus..MAL is terrible when it comes to such things.
Jan 11, 2017 6:27 AM

Jul 2016
I guess this kind of pacing and serious political story, won't appeal to mostly. So far I like this chill start. From the introduction of characters and setting, upcoming conflicts like the suspected coup.

Animation suits well with the mood, as well the the OP and ED. I kinda i intrigued for the next episode, it seems like that guy who picked the lighter at the end of the episode, will used Jeans hobby of smoking, to put him to the be blame for the fires in the city.
Jan 11, 2017 6:38 AM

Dec 2012
Didn't really come across as something Madhouse, but oh well
Jan 11, 2017 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
Ironically, this anime series, I did not want to start it so soon: I do not know, but since the announcement of his animated transposition, had not appeared in my eyes because nothing. Then looking, again, the visual image and some of the episode, I had the so-called "call"; I take it and start watching. I must admit, that even after so normal, I tried it interesting watching this episode. The narration puts on a very neutral plane, such as that of daily life, but I realized, perhaps imagined (it would be the more apt word), that behind this flow of events, we are connected duo or three stories, who knows! I thought the character designs, I would have liked (so it was until I started the anime), but now I admit it has its own charm, so does the seabed. The characters are very fascinating and stylish, I like! Maybe this will be another great animation project by Madhouse, my guess, but I believe it; with what he has managed to make the Studio Madhouse after the latest anime series, the potential is there.
Jan 11, 2017 7:20 AM

Aug 2014
I was actually very hyped for this one, but after seeing the score and reading a couple of the comments for the first episode I was ready to be disappointed, but I have to say I really enjoyed this.

Jan 11, 2017 7:24 AM

Jun 2011
I was pretty hyped for this show from the beginning, and the first episode didn't disappoint. I like the more verbose storytelling and lax pacing, and a story about government bureaucracy and politics is super interesting to me on a conceptual level. Looking forward to what comes next!

4/5 for this episode.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jan 11, 2017 8:18 AM

Apr 2009
I hope it will be as good as The House of Five Leaves.
Jan 11, 2017 10:40 AM

Sep 2011
It was an a amusing watch. Nothing special for me, the characters were bland (for now). Hopefully episode 2 will pick up. Animation was alright, music wasn't memorable.
Jan 11, 2017 11:17 AM
Mar 2016
Hummm, by the looks of things there is gonna be a lot of in fighting withing the ACCA.
Jan 11, 2017 11:51 AM

Nov 2016
I haven't read the manga but I was looking forward to discover this anime. Even if there wasn't much action in this first episode I think this show has its own charm. I'll be impatiently waiting for the next episode.

Catchy OP, I liked it.
Jan 11, 2017 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
Ok, first things first, it's a nice first episode overall.... Episode is kinda slow and we don't get to see much of a relevant character interactions, but setting is nice and we got some worldbuilding. The problem is that people can't get the mood of the show cause it's slow and I assume that there won't be any action at all, it will be more like a slow police, crime drama with some conspiracies behind the scene.

Well, if you look at previous works from mangaka (Saraiya Goyou), it isn't for everyone, so yeah. I don't know, maybe the pace will get faster somewhere during the series, but I don't think so and I am really enjoying the show right now. Solid animation, unique and interesting character design, marvelous soundtrack and easily the best OP of the season for now.

Also, I don't understand why are people rating this show so low, when something like Chaos;Child has like 8.04. I mean I know that everything is subjective and I don't plan to judge anyone's preferences but it's just belyond me. I guess that just cause this series is made by Madhouse and that also this season is pretty weak in quality, I guess that some people that otherwise wouldn't check this type of series tried it out and found it boring, so that's the reason why the rating is so low.
sensei69Jan 11, 2017 2:51 PM

Jan 11, 2017 12:32 PM

Jul 2010
i normally dont smoke. I smoked when watching this episode
Jan 11, 2017 1:30 PM

May 2015
Not much happened in the first episode. But hmm, this might turn out to be an interesting watch.

Jan 11, 2017 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
Interesting start. While a few things went over my head, I'm intrigued by the setting.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 11, 2017 1:39 PM
Jun 2016
DestyPuffari said:
I was actually very hyped for this one, but after seeing the score and reading a couple of the comments for the first episode I was ready to be disappointed, but I have to say I really enjoyed this.

You can't trust any of the scores after one episode. Not sure why MAL even lets people do that.

I understand if the slow pace turned off some people but 6.97? lol come on.

This anime is one of the most promising this season IMO.
Jan 11, 2017 1:55 PM

Jul 2007
Venator25 said:
DestyPuffari said:

You can't trust any of the scores after one episode. Not sure why MAL even lets people do that.

I understand if the slow pace turned off some people but 6.97? lol come on.

This anime is one of the most promising this season IMO.

It happened thousands of times.

Basically people with lower attention span start an episode 1 and if it is "slow"(or fast or just really does not spoonfeed the viewer, either of three situations fit) they will rate it 1 and claim "nothing happens in this show".

To boot this does not have "traditional" anime art style nor "traditional" fanservice. Which will lead to the same people claiming it looks "weird" and "boring".
Jan 11, 2017 2:30 PM
Sep 2015
Music was great throughout all the episode
Characters were a bit bland, bit I liked the MC
Was a bit more slow-paced than I would have liked, bit nonetheless ir was a decent first episode
7.1/10
Jan 11, 2017 2:36 PM

Jan 2012
Really this isn't as bad people make it out to be... the awful score is just beyond me.
Some first episodes are so much more all over the place but still get a pretty high score... oh well.

I kinda like it so far. The slow pace doesn't bother me (which I didn't even find THAT slow but well that's just me). Saraiya Goyou didn't have the fastest pace ever either.
Jan 11, 2017 2:52 PM

Jul 2013
I don't understand why it's rated so low but I really love the main characters and the mysterious yet casual atmosphere the anime has. The opening and ending are both awesome and I can't to meet the new character in the next episode! So chill!
Jan 11, 2017 5:09 PM

May 2016
Stylish first episode. Looking forward to more!
Jan 11, 2017 7:10 PM

Dec 2007
Looks like I found another show to enjoy this season!
Jan 11, 2017 7:21 PM

Mar 2009
sensei69 said:

Also, I don't understand why are people rating this show so low, when something like Chaos;Child has like 8.04. I mean I know that everything is subjective and I don't plan to judge anyone's preferences but it's just belyond me. I guess that just cause this series is made by Madhouse and that also this season is pretty weak in quality, I guess that some people that otherwise wouldn't check this type of series tried it out and found it boring, so that's the reason why the rating is so low.

How are people rating Chaos;Child already? It hasn't even been subbed yet!

This was an okay start. Needs a little more oomph though.
Jan 11, 2017 7:38 PM

Mar 2012
Under 7 ? Seriously ?

This opening ! It remains me Samurai Champloo in a first time and after OST from the game Persona 4 ! It was really good.
And the ost were good too.

The plot seems interesting. It was one of the best first episode this season.
But it wasn't difficult. ^^
Jan 11, 2017 8:50 PM
Jan 2017
I really like the characters design. It's give me a feeling of modern and classic mix together and op is really good. Hoping the story will turn out well.
Jan 12, 2017 1:56 AM

Jul 2007
Mormegil said:
sensei69 said:

How are people rating Chaos;Child already? It hasn't even been subbed yet!

This was an okay start. Needs a little more oomph though.

Plenty of people watch the raws. Especially easy for a work based on a VN you might have already read. Also in case of C;C most of the educated ratings come from the fact that despite time constraints, the adaptation is doing REALLY good job in terms of replicating VN's content and visuals.

Even with the subs out I expect the rating to stay the same there because the concepts there will be more attractive to mainstream audience.
Jan 12, 2017 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
I don't get some of the users here comparing this with Joker Game. They do have 2-3 things in common but it's just a thin comparison between the two. ACCA doesn't feel like JGA at all. Above that, JGA for a start had a breaking, strong first episode. In ACCA barely anything impressive happened. Only the OP is praiseworthy so far.
Jan 12, 2017 3:41 AM

Sep 2010
I just realized the Inspection Department was formed just before the current Dōwā king was even born. I wonder if that is even relevant to the plot.

Having only read two chapters of the manga, I'm glad the anime retained the same laid-back atmosphere I felt reading the pages with the music adding to it.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Jan 12, 2017 3:42 AM

Jan 2016
This show is slow-paced, deliberate. I like it.
Jan 12, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 2015
Okay have to ask, why is there a fantasy tag?
Dafuq
Jan 12, 2017 4:00 AM

Mar 2013
It was cool episode.
It was slow paced but I enjoyed it due to the animation, character design and the atmosphere~
Looking forward to what more it has to offer. There seems to be an underlying plot so I just hope it turns out satisfying by the end.

OP and ED were fabulous <3
Jan 12, 2017 5:11 AM

Jun 2013
whoa that OP is amazing and the art style is really good
Jan 12, 2017 5:37 AM

Jul 2007
Robiiii said:
Dafuq

Its set in a fictional alternate-reality USA-like country run by fictional monarchy.

Why wouldn't there be a fantasy tag?
Jan 12, 2017 5:56 AM

Jul 2014
Since the original creator is Ono Natsume I have high expectations of it.
First episode was good and intrigues, though I know I'll like the series anyway 'cause it has so many things I enjoy and usually starve for.
Jan 12, 2017 6:40 AM

Mar 2012
FragOutFire said:
This show is slow-paced, deliberate. I like it.

That's right !
I'm sorry that people only want action, everywhere. :/
Jan 12, 2017 6:52 AM

Nov 2009
I like the movie feel to it, but I'm put off by how much the MC smokes. At this rate he would be dead of lung cancer faster than of the show's intrigues and the hinted coup d'etas.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 12, 2017 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
Robiiii said:
Dafuq

Its set in a fictional alternate-reality USA-like country run by fictional monarchy.

Probably because nothing you just mentioned qualifies as 'fantasy'
Jan 12, 2017 10:19 AM

Jul 2007
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
Fai said:

I am not sure what definition of fantasy you are using but that is EXACTLY the definition of fantasy. A story being set in an imaginary world

Literally the only need for fantasy genre is for the setting to be NOT our world.

What you are thinking of is high fantasy.
Jan 12, 2017 11:47 AM

Jul 2010
Well that was dry. I'm interested to see if anything happens though. Dunno why people are comparing this to Joker Game, Joker Game had a lot of action in it and was much more interesting from the get go.
Jan 12, 2017 11:50 AM
Jul 2015
So far it's slow moving but hey it's the first episode I have hopes that it will pick up, really looking forward the rest of this anime, that opening doe.
Jan 12, 2017 1:09 PM

Dec 2014
I wasn't expecting anything from this anime, I just watched it because the description sounded nice. I'm glad I picked it up. The first episode was really nice, the characters are interesting and especially Jean is the type of character I can like a lot.

If the anime keeps it up, maybe it will be the gem of this season for me.
Jan 12, 2017 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
So much information, maybe I need to re-watch the episode tomorrow, I'm not quite sure I understood everything. xD The character design is strange but interesting. I love the opening.
Jan 12, 2017 1:39 PM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

I am not sure what definition of fantasy you are using but that is EXACTLY the definition of fantasy. A story being set in an imaginary world

Literally the only need for fantasy genre is for the setting to be NOT our world.

What you are thinking of is high fantasy.

By that definition almost every fictional story is fantasy which renders the term itself meaningless.
Jan 12, 2017 4:26 PM

Sep 2015
The atmosphere of this episode is very well done. The OP reinforces it. Pretty slow episode and some building up with the mysterious arson and possible coup d'tat and all. But overall not much really happened.
Mostly world building and character introduction. Nothing too special, but MC seems pretty cool.
Ending is very calming much like the entire episode.
Find it odd it got such a low score. I thought it was pretty well done so far. Unique art style too and it looks pretty nice actually. I guess people just want to see something happen.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2017

89 by fast2611 »»
Feb 1, 3:11 AM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2017

74 by milk_bun »»
Oct 24, 2023 4:47 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2017

116 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 19, 2023 4:50 AM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2017

143 by Netbug »»
Sep 5, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2017

109 by SenChen »»
Jun 18, 2023 1:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.