Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 1, 2017 10:15 PM
Nov 2015
*sigh*
Japan, why do you have to almost always butcher endngs? I mean I am grateful for a "happy ending" but it just felt so rushed and anticlimactic.

This is what bothered me the most:
-why is Mimi still alive and in the real world?
-why can they now turn into magical girls in the real world?
-why can they go back into real illusion after the scientist said it's impossible?
-why is there no more highlight on Yayaka, I expected her to get the same love from Cocona after all that backstory.
-the assistant girl had a crush on Salt, who is Salt going to date now Mimi (if she's in the real world) or the assistant
-where the fuck are the twins, the new girl and Yayaka staying at now that that cult has been destroyed?

Honestly I just wanted see a loving triangle bond between Cocona, Papika and Yayaka at the end.

edit:
okay I just rewatched final episode and read numerous comments on the ending; now I get half the things, still sad Yayaka didn't get in on the 3-girl love triangle in the end, need to watch some other moe yuri anime to get this missing feeling.
-chronosJan 2, 2017 9:12 AM
Jan 2, 2017 6:02 AM

Oct 2016
eventhough mimi creeps me out .. I will miss this anime .. T_T
Jan 2, 2017 9:26 AM
Jun 2015
The last few episodes really jumped the shark with papika de-aging and multiple personalities with mimi and salt. Pure illusion became a plot device to make up any kind of change in the story that is not logically consistent with the rest of the show. Why did Mimi need to be the final boss? Also if she was not dead and not trapped in pure illusion, why did she never reach out to Salt, Cocona and Papika? The Amorphous girls are superfluous to the show and add nothing to the story other than fan service figurines for otakus. The story had promise but the botched ending and lack of buildup for the finale makes it a decent show instead of a good show. Sorry but the lady on the boat is not build up for Mimi having a dark serpent alter ego.
Jan 2, 2017 2:38 PM

Feb 2013
I think this was my favorite anime of the season (maybe even the year).

Amazing art, a complex story, interesting premise, great character development and backstory, this had it all. More people need to watch this fantastic anime.

9/10 for now....possibly a 10/10 later.
Jan 2, 2017 7:38 PM

Aug 2013
Overall the show was pretty good, I really enjoyed how all of the subtle plot pieces came together at the end.

I really enjoyed all of the plot twists that were presented and came together in every episode. Like when the episode where they're Iro happened and it turns out it was Iroha, the grandmother being a cyborg KKK member the entire time Yayaka being a planted spy. The leader of the cult actually being Salt's dad with his warped mind, Mimi being the girl in the boat and Salt being Cocona's dad, how Papika was the same age as Cocona, the revelation of the amorphous stones not actually granting a wish, but coming together to revive Mimi. Lots of odds and ends that came together really well.

A few things I didn't like:
- At first I didn't like that each episode was basically, pure illusion area of the week. Though after all of the pieces came together once all of the amorphous stones were collected, my thoughts on that changed. What I didn't like about those episodes was that basically every week, it was Cocona getting mad at Papika over some nonsense, they go into pure illusion arguing, call out to each other a few dozen times, and by the end of the episode they're past it and all friendly with each other again. The formula was basically "Papika you baka! You don't try to understand me!...*goes into pure illusion* Papika? Cocona?! Papika? Cocona? Where are you Papkia? Do you know where Cocona is? PAPIKAAA!!! COCONAAA!!!! *leaves pure illusion as better friends, but then argue over the same shit next week*

- Iroha's plot in the story seemed to be underutilized. In the episode where they go into her pure illusion, and then when they dig deeper and end up in her memories and altering them, they, especially Cocona, made a big deal about how pure illusion can fuck with peoples lives and she wanted to talk to Iroha about it and such. That never happened. It's like they completely forgot about changing her life.

- Mimi being underutilized in the last episode. For one, I love Kayano Ai so I wished she would've been in more episodes lol. That aside, I would've liked to see more interaction with her and Cocona in the last episode. We get a bit of good Mimi interacting with Salt. I did enjoy the way she teased him at the end with the "just remember to keep me your number one" comment. Once she developed a bit after her back story, I enjoyed those bits of teasing she did. Mimi said that pure illusion was made for Cocona, and that she would always be able to come back to it...implying that even though Cocona and Papika escaped at the end and the amorphous were gone, they would always be able to go back since it was basically a playground for Cocona, and that Mimi would still be alive there. She never mentioned that directly to her, and we never got full proof of it. I personally would've liked to see just one scene with normal/balanced Mimi as an actual mother, and Cocona having a conversation before she left. I just feel normal Mimi as a whole was severely lacking presence at the end.

- Nyunyu...oh poor Nyunyu. I wish she was introduced earlier in the show. Because she just appears, acts like a killer evil loli for all of 15 seconds, and then becomes a good character and is used for about 4 minutes of comic relief. Had she been around longer she could've been more useful.

Something of a side note, and I might need to just go back and rewatch the episode. But in the one episode, Cocona and Papika were having like a picnic or something in pure illusion, they were in some circular meadow with some trees dotting the edges, and there was some dude behind the trees spying on them. They never said who he was and there was no other mention of him ever again. After watching this last episode it could be Salt's younger self that he killed, but I don't recall it looking like him.

Overall, despite some of the flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I'm glad I decided to pick it up. It was super colorful, the animations and fights were fun, and the show was just a damn pleasure to watch. I know at some point I'll binge the whole thing start to finish so I can put more of the bits and pieces together.
Jan 3, 2017 1:19 AM

Mar 2014
I have a question.
What happened to the art girl, anyway?
What was the point of that episode about her?
Wasn't she starting to throw paintings away? Why was she back at painting in the last scene?

Overall good show. Might re-watch it in the future to get all the references.
I really didn't likes the overdose of fanservice tho.
Jan 3, 2017 2:05 AM

Oct 2016
EdHaku said:
I have a question.
What happened to the art girl, anyway?
What was the point of that episode about her?
Wasn't she starting to throw paintings away? Why was she back at painting in the last scene?

Overall good show. Might re-watch it in the future to get all the references.
I really didn't likes the overdose of fanservice tho.

1. That episode about Iroha (art girl) was to show that pure illusion can affect the real world. This point is further demonstrated when Papika and Mimi travel to Salt's dad's pure illusion, where they mess up his brain.
2. Iroha became a more outgoing and friendly person because of what Cocona and Papika did. Note that the change here is positive.
3. She threw some paintings away because those old paintings weren't just paintings to her, they were emotional baggage. Her throwing away her paintings symbolizes her getting over her past unpleasant memories and moving forward in life.

I agree about the fanservice. Actually, there wasn't really a lot, it was just there and unnecessary.
Jan 3, 2017 4:23 AM

Nov 2010
AOTS for me, no doubts about that.

Got a little heavy towards the end but still managed to satisfy me, so i give the show points for that.

8/10
Jan 3, 2017 5:25 AM

Nov 2014
I already hated the 12th episode, tried to watch this one for a couple of minutes and failed. such a letdown.
Jan 4, 2017 1:41 AM

Jun 2013
THIS IS ART.

30characters30characters
Jan 4, 2017 3:20 AM

Dec 2015
Diid the emprisoned Paprika reminded anybody about the Ape King/Sun Wu Kong/Son Goku jailed under Buddha's hand? (then released to travel with his new master, the buddhist monk.

Big action and common things for the finale, but I wasn't expecting Cocona to basically fuse the real world with the childish/fantasy world of Pure Illusion (breaking the gate).
May I say that I was bothered by the fact the idiotic (but adult) young woman who kind of received a baby to take care of from her friend ended up requesting (very heavily) a romantic relationship from this child. It sounds repugnant (and the heroin seems like an abused airhead)

I just readANN review of this episode, is it really true that Mimi shattered in amorphouses? o_o I just saw her image desintegrate itself while she was warping, that's all. Plu,s the article even concludes that there was never a real world past this point.
3/5

A nice show, shining for its great direction and imagery.

7.5-/10

@Jaguar-chan It was sooner: the writer left aftert the 6th episode then wrote about how tweaked the 7th episode ended (because it was more or less established by this person).
Rei_IIIJan 5, 2017 3:41 AM
Jan 4, 2017 10:13 AM

Jul 2015
Suuuuuuuuuuuuper weak ending. Like a very light 7
Jan 5, 2017 1:25 PM

May 2012
Damn that sure was an intense and quite lovely ending I must say! A happy ending always makes me happy as well!

I must say when I first started this anime I never could expect it to be this dark in terms of story and character backstory/development! I really loved that unexpected to it, and well I sure loved the pacing as well.

The ED was also one of my favorite things to watch after each episode, really lovely tune and catchy as hell!

All in all a very good anime I must say! Very original and unique with a fantastic atmosphere and characters!
Jan 5, 2017 7:29 PM

Oct 2015
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mimi's form in this finale kinda creeps me out.

The final battle was pretty thrilling and I got my dose of entertainment from it. Papika and Cocona still had some sweet moments even during this finale. The way that Cocona views Papika has really improved since their first encounter. Pretty entertaining show overall imo. This was dark horse of the season for me.

The Pure Illusion style song this episode was also quite catchy!

Did anyone get how Cocona forgot all about Pure Illusion and Papika in the beginning of the series?
Jan 6, 2017 3:49 PM

Nov 2016
This was a pretty good watch. Nothing too special although I really liked the ED and the animation. The characters weren't particularly great but the transformation scenes were pretty nice. Overall I give the series a solid 7/10.
Jan 10, 2017 9:33 PM

Dec 2009
Unfortunately this ended underwhelmingly. Lots of fancy references to classical art and so on, yet the overarching plot wasn't all that fascinating - just another child vs parent plot for the most part.

All of the yuri subtext buildup went nowhere and had no real relevance to the plot.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 11, 2017 11:32 PM

Aug 2013
I kind of feel like this ending is begging for a "Director's cut" version.
Jan 12, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2008
omg dat alligator face of Mimi!
OST is awesome as usual!
the power of love defeats all!
Flip Flapping mode of Mimi was blackish awesome!
Hidaka has lost it! lol
Flip Flappers was a great ride!
5/5.
8/10.

Jan 12, 2017 3:30 PM
Jan 2013
I really wish this show just stuck with episodic format instead of trying to make a story out of it...., every episode keep adding more and more fucking questions that made this story way to confusing at times. I know some people like that, but I really like to know what the fuck is going on when I'm watching a show. Also another problem are the characters, I felt no attachment to them. I'm fine with stereotypes when they have good execution, but these characters just fall flat for me. Hell I can't even bother remembering their names because of how forgettable they are. The only 2 characters i end up liking are Dr.Salt and the Yellow Hair girl, but even at that they're just cast aside for the MCs. Also can anyone for the life of me what the fuck was the point of the blue twintailed girl? She basically did nothing throughout her runtime in the show.

7/10 if judging Episodes 1-7, 4/10 for the whole product
Jan 12, 2017 10:08 PM

Jan 2011
this is one of the better series recently for me

i think will be even better to have just a few more episodes to nicely explain the things, could be due to limited running time or it is meant to be brain training for viewers :)

finally, thanks to some of the guys here for their explanations
Jan 14, 2017 3:36 PM
Feb 2015
I give the series a 9 just for entertainment value. Its like having a series of really cool dreams where you wake up and are like "whoa what the hell was that" in a good way. It felt a little rushed at the end. I would have liked a little more story depth and character development. Plot holes. Things unresolved. Either way it got me on an emotional level, bonding with main characters etc. Lovely experience for me overall.
Jan 14, 2017 6:27 PM
Apr 2014
oh so that's why Papika looks so young now.

ok I guess that was acceptable as final episode. TBH at the end there were happening a few things that didn't make much sense in the bigger picture. Why did Cocona's father not look after her properly? Why did he let her be observed while he knows his father is after her? Why did that new girl suddenly help them in their battle(after destroying that little robot and following it to their hideout)? Like... What is even going on? Isn't it enough to create a crazy story? Does it have to have weird "plot holes" (not exactly the right word but I think it gets my point across), too?

The twins were kinda cool though. Even though technically they were "evil" for the majority of the series. Really liked it when the sister finally made her own decisions.

Anyway. The big fights were surprisingly entertaining and well done. And I really liked the soundtrack that was usually playing during the battle scenes. Just the whole transformation-thing was a bit ... let's just say I don't like it. Takes too much time off episodes because the full animation gets played almost every episode.
Jan 15, 2017 1:15 AM

Mar 2014
Fai said:
So just as I guessed we got Cocona reaffirming her identity and seeing herself as herself(instead of a repeat of her own mother), which leads to the perception of her world changing revealing the actual real world, with the world of Cocona having been pure illusion too.

A lot of this show is about perception, as the reference to Jakob Von Uexküll hints at. Uexküll was german Biologist most famous for his works on how organisms perceive their surroundings. From the verys tart that felt like a huge hint that what we saw in the show was Cocona's perception of reality and the way she perceived her issues and problems in life and the way her brain processed that. Likewise that is also hinted via Iro's plot and the way Iro's perception of her world would shift depending on her moods and how she felt.

I guess if we are to view the events we saw in pure illusion via perception of Real World that was revealed in the end for us, I guess this is how the story went if we separate Cocona's perception of the events:

Cocona's mother and father most likely divorced due Cocona's mother pursuing another woman. That was the calamity, the tragedy that colorfully was portrayed in the show In Cocona's perception that essentially was represented via two versions of her mother due to her perception of her mother having split into two, essentially taking away her "ideal" mother she knew, while her father grew distant.

What's more, during this hard time, due to the process of adolescence and questioning your own sexuality, Cocona found herself attracted to another girl in school, which made her question whether she herself is just a repeat of her mother's path, walking the same path, becoming her mother. This conflict of identity, mixed in with trauma from her parents divorce was essentially represented through childish imagination of pure illusion world. What we saw through the show was Cocona's subconscious view of the world, as a try to reaffirm who she is, as she is growing up into adulthood, to find her own identity.

Thus what we effectively saw through the show was the embodiment of that inner conflict of Cocona, the stream of consciousness that represented the real world problems and psychological dilemmas in a colorful childhood vision of "pure illusion".

• We saw Cocona ponder whether she is someone now that her parents were swept from under her feet. What is her place in the world what she wants of it. And the more she felt rejected by the world the more chaotic and dangerous her perception of the world got(cyborgs, impostors and all)
  • We saw Cocona try to process whether she is allowed self expression or has self expression via how Papika challenged her restricted nature, with Papika Cocona and Yayaka essentially embodying the psychological concepts of Id, Ego and Super Ego and Cocona trying to attain emotional and intellectual balance in terms of how she perceives herself.
  • We saw Cocona question her desires, her sexuality and how it defines who she is or who she could be.
  • We saw Cocona wonder about the nature of her feelings towards Papika and whether they are okay. What makes Papika into Papika, would her interest be different if Papika was different, etc.
  • We saw Cocona wonder how what happened to her family affected her. Whether by getting closer to Papika she is becoming the copy of her mother or whether she is walking her own path. Is she bound by what happened to her parents, is she repeating her mothers mistakes, is she becoming her mother? Or is she walking her own path that her parents approve of in spite of their own mistakes that she is not guilty or responsible for.

We saw her try to process , in a childish idealized way, of what happened to her family and what it means for her now that she is growing up and entering adolescence. After all divorce during puberty can hit hard in terms of how our identity forms. In this case we have been seeing how Cocona is processing everything that has happened around her and inside her in such a time.

We saw her try to process , in a childish idealized way, of what happened to her family and what it means for her now that she is growing up and entering adolescence. After all divorce during puberty can hit hard in terms of how our identity forms. In this case we have been seeing how Cocona is processing everything that has happened around her and inside her in such a time.

In fact if you look back at the show it all lines up in order - we start with Cocona's identity, Cocona trying to proccess the idea of her birth and how desires affect people(episode 2) and it slowly goes back to the issue of her family and comes back to her identity.

In fact if you look back at the show it all lines up in order - we start with Cocona's identity, Cocona trying to process the idea of her birth and how desires affect people(episode 2) and it slowly goes back to the issue of her family and comes back to her identity.

Now with this episode, having resolved her identity crisis and established herself as a separate identity from her mother(and whatever happened to their family in the past) Cocona essentially "grew up", entering back into reality and is free to pursue Papika romantically, even though show annoying yet again tries to be too ambiguous there. Of course veering back into childhood fantasies is not something restricted form Adults so there's nothing stopping Cocona from viewing the world in such a colorful fashion again, that's what dreams and imagination are after all. However Cocona is no longer bound by that world or by what happened to her parnets, she is free to be herself, she has liberated herself from her conflicts and identity crisis, achieving adulthood.

Its hard to get a read on this especially with the knowledge that original writer quit after Episode 6, but at least parts of this episode seem to correspond with what was being built up.

Still great ride. Not perfect and some things feel off, but still great. Easily 8/10 for the whole show. Maybe even 9/10 not sure yet tbqh.

Interesting interpretation. Taking the whole narrative as a figment of Cocona's subconscious as she deals with her real life problems is intriguing but too exaggerated for me to believe. Seeing it all as symbolism is a bit much. I do agree with some of the identity conflicts and perception you mentioned however.
Cool reading your interpretation though.
Jan 15, 2017 2:45 AM

Dec 2012
Very good episode, I didn't understand all the things that the studio wanted to say us. But after reading the Fai's analysis of the last episodes, I think I understand a little better.
Flip Flappers was a beautiful anime constructs with a lot of different universes. These universes were very varied and amazing like in "Space Dandy", and the quality of the animation and the girls have made the anime really great.
Now, I need to rewatch the first episode to be sure to not miss something important.

It was a very enjoyable journey :)
Jan 15, 2017 7:18 AM

Sep 2009
It was like watching a separate episode of Space Dandy all the time, except with lots of yuri and more drugs. It was a great watching experience, and as an aspiring animator actually makes me think about the kinda stuff I wanna work with.

Hang me for this, but I liked the fanservice especially since it only injected it after it built up the characters. I only like to see characters naked if I give two shits about them.

That said, I felt the ending was absolutely underwhelming and took away from the show as a whole. I'm probably in the minority that loved episodes 9-12 arc, but the problem was that the resolution and flair didn't seem to match up to the stakes presented. Took away from the experience a lot.

8/10 for me, but real rating is around 7.8/10. Ending shat the bed a bit, but the rest of the show was absolutely mint.

EDIT: Forgot to ask the important question:

When and how did Salt and Mimi shag in a place with heavy surveillance?
LobsterRyomaJan 15, 2017 9:53 AM

Jan 16, 2017 11:23 PM

Jan 2014
LobsterRyoma said:
When and how did Salt and Mimi shag in a place with heavy surveillance?
They definitely did it under the cameras. Papa Salt probably thought it was a good experiment to get Mimi pregnant and have her have a baby that could potentially access Pure Illusion, anyway.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jan 17, 2017 9:49 PM

Jan 2016
I'm left feeling pretty disappointed. The cast of characters was fun but none of them really resonated with me aside from Yayaka and Cocona.

I honestly didn't enjoy Papika as a character at all. Her simplicity just resulted in a really bland, weak, and sometimes even annoying character, which resulted in me never really being interested in her interactions with Cocona at all. Yayaka had a lot more depth and was more entertaining to watch interact with the other characters.

These last few episodes felt messy and just kept raising more and more questions, and the ending ended up being pretty underwhelming.

Flawed, but not bad. 7/10 from me.
Jan 18, 2017 1:17 AM

Sep 2015
good show but with a few more episodes it could have been better.

btw why do people think this is yuri? the show is about platonic love and strong friendship. don't force something that isn't there.

Jan 18, 2017 7:08 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Mimi's FliFla form was quite nice as well.

Great finale! It sadly feels like there isn't gonna be anymore for this show but it was so much fun to watch! I enjoyed the over-the-top action that felt like TTGL at times.

9/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 19, 2017 10:53 AM

Jan 2013
RainyRai said:
This episode didn't fix any of the main problems the series has, but it deserves credit for tying up Papika's age issue.

The series as a whole has failed to tell me a story or message that's worth any substance. I don't like any of the characters except for Dr. Salt, the show looks great but having decent amounts of sakuga can only carry you so far. Sure, it's original and stylish but it also ended up being boring and an overall waste of time watching.

4/10.
I mean if your gonna say something like that, then it was a waste of time to even comment on this thread.
Jan 19, 2017 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
One question about Papika
Jan 21, 2017 5:35 PM

Feb 2013
Clap clap clap! Perfect end for this perfect series.

OMG transformed Mimi!

9/10 only because I don't give out 10s on a first-watch. (had this hit-hard emotionally in some way, I would have dropped a 10 on it anyway)
Wonderful, wonderful anime. Fun, silly, cute, intense, trippy. This anime has it all.
Anime-of-the-Year 2016. This is why I continue to watch anime.
BurntJellyJan 21, 2017 5:46 PM
Jan 21, 2017 11:26 PM

Aug 2012
-Was the tree that Papika got trapped in the spirit of Mimi or something
-So it seems like they ramped up the animation for this episode
-Wait weren't Papika and Cocona thrown in two different directions? How'd they end up on the same rock
-Sayuri looks a hell of a lot different with her hair up
-Has the overworld always been that gray?
-Wait, the overworld art changed entirely, especially with Uexkull
-I thought that montage at the end was a flashback, but apparently it was happening in real time?

The fight in this episode was a lot more expanded and easier on the eyes than the one in last episode, from what i remember.

Can't really say that I enjoyed the overarching storyline after Mimi got reawakened because it felt like the standard anime hyperprotective parent fare. However, I liked all of the backstory about Mimi because of how they used seemingly innocuous events from the previous episode as a means of exposition. That was definitely the high point of the show for me, and the entire first half of the episodes were hit-or-miss, but they were mostly misses. The show was pretty visually appealing very early on, but it felt like the quality of the visuals dropped in the middle of the show, and it wasn't until this episode that they came back up again. Looking back at the adventure-of-the-week formula that the first half of the show did, the only remarkable ones were the Mad Max parody and the horror anime parody. The only real memorable parts of the second half of the show were episodes 10 and 11, and pretty much everything that happened chronologically after Mimi was resurrected wasn't as compelling as the backstory. Overall, the show had some pretty enjoyable highs in the form of episodes 3, 5, 10, and 11, but the rest of it was just average at best.

The short version of the OP is still insanely catchy though
Jan 22, 2017 12:05 AM

Apr 2013
My thoughts for the last episode:

"WTF she went from Darth Maul to a Godzilla in this bitch! Oh now she a crocodile. Spooky Hollow, aww shit now the Asian Van Helsing is coming out. LOL what is this, the production say they don't have enough ink to print so everything that Xerox black and white. She that one hoe from Accel World now! Goddamn this nigga crazy as hell!"

I see a future cult classic in this one. I can't deny it was just flush with flaws that deny it from being part of that "upper echelon" of anime, but I can see this one being revisited. I wasn't thoroughly impressed, but I will definitely keep this in mind as a favorite.

7/10 underrated and underappreciated for sure.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Jan 26, 2017 8:55 AM

Dec 2011
Weak ending. The "power of friendship" won, as always.
Jan 27, 2017 10:16 AM

Jul 2009
This anime was really a surprise! It was so good! The end was also very good, I love to see Papika and Cocona's chemistry, they could marry already.
8/10 Also, one of the cutest endings that I have seen!
Jan 29, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2008
Too many unanswered question IMHO...

Or maybe it was simply 2deep4me?

I enjoyed the art, the craziness, and of course all the delicious YURI vibes.

But I really wanted a stronger story.

7/10
Jan 31, 2017 5:24 PM
Jan 2017
This series....god where do I even begin to look for something that could make me fall in love with characters like this.
It ended, it had too. But Cocona and Papika are out there, in Pure Illusion, happy as can be with everyone else and honestly, that's the only way I ever wanted this series to end.

9/10
Henshin!
Feb 8, 2017 6:25 AM
Feb 2014
What's with the third child, was there any purpose for her?
What's with the twins?
At the beginning of episode 13 the mother just dies(explodes into these crystal thingys(?)). Why?
What even are those crystals(part of Mimi's soul or what?) and what's with the one in Cocona's leg how did it end up there?
Why could they still transform at the end? I thought mom said nono.
Feb 16, 2017 6:33 AM

Jun 2011
Cheesy trash. Every series starts with the characters, and the characters in this series are atrocious, most if not all of them are generic, as per usual I've seen other characters reacted the same way as they do in similar situation. Good/Actual characters will have moments where they will make me go "ah, so that's what make her/him different from other characters" and so far the characters in this show followed exactly the formula laid out by its predecessors. Not only they're generic, they're annoying too, Cocona, Papika, Yayaka, you name it.

This is the type of show where they're trying to use "symbolism" to express their own idea of a story, a story where characters place zero importance in the grand scheme of thing. If you look at this situation form the character's perspective, I don't think you can really envision yourself being in her place because of how unrealistically she reacted to the events. Cocona also felt sort of out of character from how she was introduced.

That comes down to how well the director executed the story. Imo, average at best. Story and idea were nothing special, not only the story lack depth, the execution didn't even seem particularly impressive or innovative. Also, many people seem to be quite confused that making a story more confusing to understand doesn't make it a good story. A story should only be confusing when it has certain depth to go along with it, not just for the heck of it. Nowadays I see people rate something that "made them think" higher than they usually do for series that "don't make them think", and even then, those are really just their own head canon.

The yuri bait was lazy as all hell as well.

I am starting to think that Hayao Miyazaki is right in his statement on the current state of the animation industry, where people who do the animation work don't even go out and observe real life anymore, therefore the anime they created lack that sort of realism (of depth) to go along with it. It's truly sad.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 17, 2017 1:52 PM

Nov 2014
I heard a lot of good things about this anime, but it turned out pretty meh for the most part. Too much friendship power for me. On the other hand last few episodes were really interesting and I liked the ending.
Mar 12, 2017 5:59 AM
Mar 2017
Nigami_Shin said:
good show but with a few more episodes it could have been better.

btw why do people think this is yuri? the show is about platonic love and strong friendship. don't force something that isn't there.

I agree with you, I always thought they had a platonic love for eachother. But I might be wrong
Apr 15, 2017 10:20 PM
Mar 2017
Well those last few episode were really bad.

If you pretend this is just an unfinished 8 episode show it's pretty good.

But, I'm too tired to elaborate further. Instead, let me just bring up a question I don't think anyone's asked yet. Back in the after-credits scene in episode one, why the hell was Cocona kidnapped and Papika knocked out and the next episode pretending that never happened!? This has not been addressed at all!

Early on in the show it seemed to me those post-credits parts are just deceptive non-canonical little teasers with 0 continuity, that are just there as thematic indicators. It happens a bunch of other times too, like somebody blurting out "Mimi" and all the characters completely forgetting about it in the next episode.
May 25, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
Pretty exciting last episode! For a second I thought that Papika was stuck in Pure Illusion forever, then I later thought that they were all stuck in Pure Illusion forever, and then I saw they they were just able to fly back into their world with a bunch of butterflies xD

Overall, I liked this show! I for sure didn't catch all of the symbolism and themes, but it was still an enjoyable watch. Really liked the magical girl aspect of it, and I dai-dai-dai suki the OP! :p Solid 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2017 10:07 AM

Apr 2015
As anybody can see from my prof page pic I loved FF to death; probably the one series that I wanted to like the most out of every anime I've watched.

Not to say I dislike FF now, I still adore the series and how they conceived it, how compact and strong it is. However I now probably think it's not 'objectively' a success. Most stem from the fact that it was not quite as leftfield and psychedelic as I would have liked

I feel if you skim the surface it's pretty and great; if you go a little deeper it's a bit disjointed and cheesy; and if you go even deeper it's tremendously good. However I would have liked this more if every layer was enjoyable

I really can't rate this for now
LanzMay 30, 2017 10:10 AM
May 31, 2017 12:34 AM

Feb 2015
There're some problems about the last several episodes which wasn't enough to well unfold what's going on. May have been better had the episodes were a little longer for this show, though the ending was satisfying to say the least.

Even with its flaws about the pacing of the story, it didn't put me off watching the whole. The action scenes as well as the visuals it offered were enjoyable.

Overall, this show's good. I want to rate this between 7 and 8, but 7 it is. I would still recommend this to anybody who gets turned on by high impact action and the power of yuri friendship.
KonradikonMay 31, 2017 1:16 AM
Jun 18, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2014
This show was terrible, it ended up being the most disappointing show of the year for me and a trainwreck on top of that. They should have never gone away from the fun episodic formula, since they clearly had no idea how to write a plot that isn't a complete pile of garbage. The animation also never managed to hold up to the standards of the first few episodes, I can only say I really liked the creepy episode a lot, I really liked the OP and ED, the characters are totally forgettable and I never cared about any of them, the character designs aren't that great, but they are sort of cute, I don't want to talk about the story, the backgrounds were gorgeous, well, at least in the episodes where studio Pablo did them. Overall very disappointed, I guess I shouldn't have even expected anything to begin with. The main flaw this show had was trying to be 2deep4you all the time. The ending was a retarded clusterfuck and I regret watching this steaming pile of trash.

1/10

:3
Jun 22, 2017 10:45 PM
Apr 2016
Woaah
Very good ending,
Is this the happy ending for all parties? : V
I think so
Jul 31, 2017 8:09 AM

Mar 2013
My score 9/10 totally worth it! I never thought Flip Flappers gonna end up this good. Totally love the ending :)

"Isn't Victini the cutest Pokemon of all time?"
Aug 26, 2017 3:30 PM
Sep 2015
I'll give this a 9/10 and not a 10/10 because of the yuri undertones, the pointless fillers we had in the first episodes, and those creepy faces Mimi did on this episode.
Overall, the animation was gold from start to finish, episodes 10 & 11 were pretty intense.
I like magical girls, and this was something fresh for me. Not your typical mahou shoujo anime,
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

1 by Berhinger »»
May 3, 8:29 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.