Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 8, 2016 8:30 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Sums up the arc pretty nicely. The highlights of the episode was of course Otae realizing her feelings for Kondo when he stops being a stalker (even when it was meant as a comedy, I could connect it with FS arc, so it felt really powerful) and Tsukki kind of admitting to Hotaru that she is in love with Gintoki (the blush was so cute).

Very fun episode nonetheless with emotional swing in the story at the end just like most of the Gintama story arcs. I am glad that Hotaru got a proper closure. The preview for the next episode is Kagura's funeral arc from the TV series.

Here are some screencaps!

5/5

Mod Edit: Multiple IMG tags removed; please use only one screenshot per post
AlfyanMar 11, 2017 7:22 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 8, 2016 10:40 AM

Apr 2015
Oh God, finally released. It's been a century since the last episode came out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2016 2:58 AM

Feb 2013
This was epic!
I'm glad that Hotaru and that guy are together now.
There were countless funny moments,lol, I liked how Gintoki caught Hotaru from falling.
Dec 9, 2016 4:30 AM

Dec 2013
Hotaru was okay. I felt a bit bad for her but I really didn't care too much for her.

Everyone falling in love with random things was hilarious. Especially Kondou.

Tsukuyo smile at the end was beautiful. I've always liked her but this arc made me like her even more!

This moment was so hilariously wtf.
Dec 9, 2016 6:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well long time no see. Only somewhat remembered the events of the last episode but I do recall liking that one a bit more than this one at least. Wasn't bad though, but I've seen a lot better from Gintama in the past
Dec 9, 2016 6:38 AM

Sep 2015
madao got new rival

this arc before kagura's death huh?
Into the Internet!
Dec 9, 2016 7:02 AM

Aug 2015
Tsukky's smile is the second best next to Kagura. It's been a long time since a cry and laugh at the same time. Now there's no stopping to my Gin x Tsukky ship!
Dec 9, 2016 7:23 AM

Dec 2014
SeijiroUshio said:
Tsukky's smile is the second best next to Kagura. It's been a long time since a cry and laugh at the same time. Now there's no stopping to my Gin x Tsukky ship!

I agree the episode altogether seemed so good.
Dec 9, 2016 7:25 AM

Feb 2015
Gintoki X Tsukuyo
Dec 9, 2016 8:26 AM

Dec 2014
Awesome episode, Very nice conclusion to the arc in a very Gintama-esque way.

The opening sequences were hilarious, Otae falling in love with Kondo, Kyuubei falling in love with questionable stuff XD and of course Tsukuyo running away with said darling in her hands despite that farewell build up. XD
Nice to see that Otae realized her feelings though.

Glad to see that they were able to prevent Hotaru's suicide, Them postures while saving her though. :3
Gintoki and Kondo in the bed came out of nowhere. :o

Ending was really emotional and touching, I guess after the break for a few months, I totally forgot they pull these kind of emotional swings at the end so I kinda teared up a little. Gintama OST always gets me as well. :P
Happy for Hotaru, I wish they had shown a little of her actually reuniting with the carpenter guy, I'm glad he kept his promise as well.

Tsukuyo smile at the end was so beautiful. <3
Dec 9, 2016 1:34 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Had to watch the first episode to remember what happened. xD...

Anyways, the OVA was alright..the second half was a little boring to me. 7/10
Dec 9, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2016
Wow now i like Tsukyo even more, adorable smile at the end.

Gintama is magic, it made me laugh so hard at one moment and then pay attention like a hawk the other moment.

Great arc as usual, now 1 month left until the Last gintama!
Dec 9, 2016 2:58 PM

Feb 2016
I liked the first part more but it was an alright portion of Gintama till we get the new season.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 9, 2016 3:57 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I wan't a big fan of the seriousness in this arc in the manga and I feel the same about the OVA too. The drama felt a little too forced. But other than that, this arc was ridiculously hilarious at times and it just makes Gin x Tsukki feel more probable. Plus that smile was great :D

9/10
Dec 9, 2016 4:10 PM

Apr 2015
Those lines by Tsukuyo...............
Ah one of my ships that will never sail

Man, hilariously ****** up as usual,
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://45.media.tumblr.com/bc9c5ac820cdf85daedf11ab9fa15b7c/tumblr_mrupi6Rd1x1r0pb0wo1_500.gif

Can't wait for January 7!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/XeLV0tW.gif

Mod Edit: Multiple IMG tags removed; please use only one screenshot per post
AlfyanMar 11, 2017 7:23 AM
Dec 9, 2016 5:39 PM

Feb 2013
Wow that transition into the opening was really smooth.
Those little chase scenes were too good.
"Farewell, darling."
*holding darling
OMG I CANT
Shoving Hotaru's face in his balls oh god.

Ahhh GinxTsukki will always be my best ship
Dec 9, 2016 10:08 PM
Apr 2015
I like it, although I had mostly forgotten everything that happened in the first episode.

At the end of the episode it said there was gonna be another one, but it looks really familiar to an episode I've already seen in the main series.
Is this a new OVA or is it meant as a point to transition into the main series?
Dec 10, 2016 12:24 AM

Feb 2009
it seems they put a preview of the first episode of the new serires at the end of the OVA? xD
Dec 10, 2016 2:26 AM

Nov 2011
other skipped arcs ova when?
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Dec 10, 2016 3:21 AM

Aug 2010
Dishonest said:
I liked the first part more but it was an alright portion of Gintama till we get the new season.
I agree with you. I liked the first episode more. The second episode, it needed Gin X Tsuki but instead it was focusing on that villain (which I don't like her) and Gintoki in his nerdy mode WTF!!! (it kind of killed it). While the first episode left a smile in my face. Oh well, I guess the favorite shipping of Gintama (Gin X Tsuki), more likely it won't happen. ;_;
Dec 10, 2016 10:27 PM

Aug 2015
This should be declared as a national heritage.
Dec 11, 2016 10:35 PM

Oct 2012
Tsukki like to be called "Honey" xD

Gintama never change a bit please
Satisfying ending, that was so Gintama-like

Tsukki's smile
That was so beautiful
"Signature removed"
Dec 12, 2016 8:08 AM

May 2014
So judging from the preview, this arc actually takes place just inbetween the feigned illness and SA arcs then- good to know!

Gintama's reflective side always makes me tear up a little bit...I love how the characters feelings are never portrayed with huge, cheesy declarations- we know Tsukuyo has liked Gin basically since she met him but she never comes out and directly says "I love Gintoki".
But yea, it was great for her to finally accept her feelings fully and get a bit of closure- she knows that Gin won't ever belong to her (and likely anyone else), so just seeing him sometimes is more than enough for her. Naturally, we'll never really know what's going on in Gin's head though...that largely remains a mystery.

One of the highlights for me was the stuff with Otae though- she's gotta like Kondo!!
She gets annoyed by his stalking, but she'd be even more annoyed if he were doing that with other girls...that's just their little routine. I bet if he didn't stalk her, she'd reluctantly stalk him instead (all whilst being in denial ofc)- something along the lines of "I'm not stalking him, I'm just making sure he's not sexually harrassing any innocent women".

ROLL ON 2017!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2016 1:10 PM

Mar 2015
What the fuck is up with Gin and Kondo turning into mushrooms when Kyuubei chased them? Sorachi must have been on heavy drugs when he wrote that. xD
Dec 15, 2016 9:02 PM

Oct 2011
Gintoki x Tsuki yay
Glad Hotaru was able to be with her lover
Dec 25, 2016 11:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Two beautiful Ovas!!!
The first one was very funny, and this seconds is faunny but a dramatic plot, to the Gintama style!!! A love story, when a happy ends!!

8/10.
Jan 6, 2017 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
This definetly was better in the first ep but it was still a charming arc, tsukuyo is best girl.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 9, 2017 3:44 PM

Aug 2014
It goes to show you that you should always be wary of characters who never open their eyes.

First episode was way more enjoyable imo...well at least Tsukky's smile was worth something I guess.
KashKetchumJan 9, 2017 3:47 PM
Jan 10, 2017 12:56 AM

Mar 2012
Not as good as the first episode but an enjoyable arc overall. I guess it was because I didn't really care for the antagonist since we only knew her for an episode and a half.

Also, Tsuki's smile at the end was great :)
Jan 11, 2017 12:03 AM
Jan 2016
Any idea what was the name of BGM playing at the end of Ep 2 when hotaru was going past the Gate?
Feb 4, 2017 12:28 AM

Dec 2014
That bgm was very nostalgic! Uwahhhh!
Mar 11, 2017 3:29 AM

Dec 2015
Yaaay a happy ending. Gintama certainly knows how to play with your emotions!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 9, 2017 9:57 AM

May 2012
Pretty decent wrap up of this two episode ova! Quite funny and with a nice resolve.
Jun 16, 2017 11:10 AM

Sep 2015
There are a lot of priceless moments in this OVA I don't even know where to start. Watching this OVA reminds me back of everything; a reason that makes me like this series in the first place—a perfect mixture of pure hilarity that distilled into its very essence blended with just appropriate amount of drama for its conclusion.

So needless to say, I grant this OVA as 'great', obviously. Especially the well-executed comedy part which I truly miss and really hit the spot for me since the main body of the series was lacking on that department, which is also the reason why I deem Gintama° as the weakest among all of its seasons so far, but I digress. Final verdict: 5/5 Great episodes.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Apr 12, 2018 1:28 PM

Nov 2016
Really nice conclusion,one of my favorite arcs for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 20, 2018 3:46 PM
Sep 2017
Gin in bed with Kondo?!? Oh shit that was funny!
But then ...
“He’ll never belong to anyone. And even so, at some point he ends up in everyone’s hearts.” Awwwwwww! #feels
Aug 15, 2019 10:31 AM
Apr 2018
So now Gin has banged Hasegawa and Kondo. Wonder when he's gonna get Hijikata
Sep 1, 2019 10:30 PM

Sep 2017
The second episode was much weaker than the first one was, but as far as Gintama arcs go this was pretty good. My biggest problems have to be with the antagonist Hotaru. Unfortunately, she doesn't have much on any of the other Gintama villains. I don't think this arc really needed an antagonist to begin with. Many of Gintama's greatest arcs haven't had an antagonist, like the Otsu Fan Club Battle arc. Hotaru was really weak as a villain, particularly because she wasn't given the development time she needed. However, I will cut this OVA some major slack because I am a huge sucker for Tsukki x Gintoki, and this was basically 52 straight minutes of raw shipping goodness. 9/10.

Oct 8, 2019 5:07 AM

May 2016
Short arc but many feels thanks Gori Sensei. 7/10
Nov 22, 2019 2:51 PM
Apr 2016
Uhh, it was pointlessly emotional, found it boring. The starting of this arc was fun and all, but quickly became...bad. The very ending was very sweet, though.
Mar 16, 2020 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
That was so sweet at the end.
Lmao at Gin and Kondo banging one out :D
Apr 15, 2020 2:21 PM

Aug 2019
An enjoyable arc even though the previous episode was better. I just didn't care for Hotaru as a villain. Otae and Kondo's part reminded me of the FS arc. And Gintoki and Kondo in bed together lol wtf. Tsukuyo's smile at the end was beautiful.
Mayo-13Apr 15, 2020 2:25 PM

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Aug 10, 2020 1:27 AM

Aug 2018
Nice to see that Hotaru got to be with the man she loves, still, I dont understand why that man would want to be with a prostitute. prostitutes are just filthy sluts anyways.

best part of this arc is either when Gin was being acting like a virgin or when Kondo was a fag

Aug 31, 2020 1:32 PM

Aug 2018
"Gintoki would never belong to anyone, but instead live in the hearts of many."
"I am sick of things like incense, smoke and love...inhaling your secondhand smoke is sufficient for me."
"Being by your side once in a while, blowing smoke at your face, would make me happy."
So, these lines brought 'kinda closure to the uncertainty surrounding Gintoki and Tsukuyo's pairing. Well, no matter what one says, their ending up together (or for that matter, Gintoki's pairing with anyone) wouldn't fit the series and especially Gintoki's character. And I'm glad that the author, even if indirectly, acknowledged their shipping.

Although the second episode had fewer funny moments than the first one, overall, the OVA was great.
goodguygregAug 31, 2020 1:41 PM
Oct 3, 2020 1:26 PM

Feb 2008
Leave it up to Gintama to give a hilarious situation an exceedingly serious twist... and then transcend back to comedy.

Too bad for Gintoky, he only gets to nail old women or men...

Above all, I love how the episode ended. With Tsukuyo's smile.
Jul 22, 2021 5:29 AM
Jul 2020
goodguygreg said:
"Gintoki would never belong to anyone, but instead live in the hearts of many."
Well, no matter what one says, their ending up together (or for that matter, Gintoki's pairing with anyone) wouldn't fit the series and especially Gintoki's character.

Although the second episode had fewer funny moments than the first one, overall, the OVA was great.

Agreed. Letting friendships/family ties take the lead is one of the stringer parts of the series for me
Nov 26, 2021 3:26 AM

Jun 2020
All I'm gonna say is.. thank god they didn't adapt this with the rest of season 4. This second episode was really bad imo, idk why they had to add in that drama. Tsukki ended it with a cute smile though

poor Shinpachi though... second time he's seen Otae and Kondo now XD

Also I might just be tripping balls but Gin looked a lot like Hachiman near the end, don't even know why I'm pointing this out lol

Mar 3, 2022 9:35 AM

Nov 2010
Aww, poor Hotaru, but yeah, love is like that for many people. It's a risk and it ends at some point. The best you can do is to just move on. It's easier said than done I know, since I've already experienced it, but it can be done. It just takes time. At least she ended up back with the carpenter. Next time, don't assume things too much!

Anyway, I enjoyed the Tsukuyo x Gintoki scenes these past two eps. I wish there were more though. Also, I really missed her, I haven't seen her since the shogun assassination arc. 8/10

Mar 12, 2022 2:10 PM

Feb 2012
it feels weird to see gin-chan act goofy like that but it was funny how he was following behind Otae/Gorilla
Tsukki was once again cute and still my favorite ship.
The arc also finished in a very gintama like way.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Jun 7, 2022 3:11 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Gay Gintoki and Kondo xD That was nice to see more of Tsukuyo overall and that Hotaru story ended pretty well even though it was sadder than I expected.
Pretty good short arc for Gintoki, especially the comedy moments. 7/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama°: Aizome Kaori-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

shanimebib - Aug 8, 2016

90 by Alex_TheForest »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:28 PM

» This is going to be great but...

Wiziliz - Apr 12, 2016

45 by Amatniki »»
Aug 10, 2020 1:29 AM

» Any Subs yet for the second OVA ?

ssjdodo - May 12, 2017

2 by Daisy-Sensei »»
Feb 24, 2019 8:29 AM

» Episode 2 when ?

DatRandomDude - Nov 19, 2016

14 by imalsokawaii07 »»
Dec 7, 2016 7:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.