Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 29, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Alma D: his physical body is broken literally. Also interesting to learn about the origins of Alma's soul.

I like how they adapted that segment with a lot of emotions and better animation than the previous episode. The feels...I also kinda like how Allen went to attack the Millennium Earl.

Kanda and Alma's relationship has been very intense and I think this episode expressed their friendship at its conclusion. And about time Howard Link arrives to help!
Aug 29, 2016 10:29 AM
Jul 2016
I like the episode but I think it could have been better.
The soundtracks manage to save the feeling but I guess the budget for animation ran out, better than the previous episode though.
Aug 29, 2016 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
Kanda holding Alma tightly like that as he died had me bawling. Especially after he said he loved him. Fuck... This is too sad for my lil' gay heart. I hope their soul was saved and can move on now.

Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Alma D: his physical body is broken literally. Also interesting to learn about the origins of Alma's soul.

I like how they adapted that segment with a lot of emotions and better animation than the previous episode. The feels...I also kinda like how Allen went to attack the Millennium Earl.

Kanda and Alma's relationship has been very intense and I think this episode expressed their friendship at its conclusion. And about time Howard Link arrives to help!

Why do you always do this...? It's not just friendship! I bet if Alma's soul wasn't in a male body it wouldn't be a problem for you to acknowledge, right?

The thing I like about this is that a soul is a soul no matter what body it happens to be in. Kanda and Alma loved each other, despite being both males in this life, despite not even being both human at the end. Their love surpassed everything.
TyrelAug 30, 2016 12:52 AM
Aug 29, 2016 11:48 AM

Feb 2013
So Alma was Kanda's lover, or at least her soul.
Aug 29, 2016 11:53 AM
Jun 2014
Animation and art still weak/inconsistent, but the episode did a good job capturing the feelings/atmosfeer of the manga(especially the Kanda and Alma moments).

So a decent/good episode. Depending if u r able to look passed the visual part.
TKMikeAug 29, 2016 1:05 PM
Aug 29, 2016 12:05 PM

Mar 2015
One of the better episodes of this season despite the inconsistent animation quality.

I've read all of the manga, and I can honestly say that I'm impressed how they managed to address such a large amount of material into just one episode. To be totally frank, I feel this could have been split into two episodes, to create more feels (Alma death is in fact peak of the arc).

What worries me is their fast pace. Knowing there's four episodes, tells me they could have done a more thorough job on some of the chapters of this particular arc. I'm not sure where they're going to end - but honestly, I would have expected this scene to be the 12. or 13. episode.

*For manga readers*

Would any manga readers that are up-to-date like to message me on their opinions so far?

All in all 4/5 episode. Not 5/5 because animation quality was a bit off at times (due to budget) and rushed a bit.
Aug 29, 2016 12:38 PM

Dec 2014
Very good episode, Much better than last week's animations.

I'm really glad they kept the OST for the show, That slow piano of the the fourteenth's song in the beginning was beautiful.

Alma's death after Yuu learns he(she) was the person he was searching for is really sad :(
Probably one of the rare moments where we see Yuu thanking Allen.

I really like what Allen did for Alma and Yuu even though it puts his own position in the order at risk, Very respectable of him to do what he did.

Based on the PV I guess we'll probably see the anime end around chapter 205. Maybe a little extra but I'd say 205 would be the best place to end it.
Aug 29, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2011
Stark700 said:
...better animation than the previous episode.

Literally WHAT DID YOU SMOKE ????? The animation was way worse than previous episodes, it was terrible, no.. that doesn't even begin to describe it, it was disgusting.

Aug 29, 2016 12:52 PM
Apr 2015
There were so much feels..this episode made me cry like a little bitch :))

The animation was better this time and I think it was the best episode until now. I'm curious about Lavi and Bookman's location and..I suppose Allen will leave the Order, because he's a Noah now..

Uhh can't wait for the next episode :))
marthwAug 29, 2016 1:07 PM
Aug 29, 2016 1:07 PM
Jun 2014
Hatsuyuki said:
Stark700 said:

Literally WHAT DID YOU SMOKE ????? The animation was way worse than previous episodes, it was terrible, no.. that doesn't even begin to describe it, it was disgusting.

Animation was better compared to last week. Last week 1/2 or more were just zoomed in backgrounds with another added layer adding the "lightning effect". This week episode atleast didn't had much static images in the animation(still alot, but much less compared to last week).
Aug 29, 2016 1:09 PM
Jul 2016
I'm not sure if the animation quality really improved, but still it's going to be one of my favourite Hallow episodes, along with episode 5. At least, all the emotions were displayed properly, almost as nice as in the manga, and the original anime soundtracks finally seem to be in the right place. It goes especially for Nea scene (coupled with 14-th lullaby) and Alma's/Kanda's parting with Allen (with this sountrack usually playing in the Krory/Elliade scenes).
Ravenlot_27Aug 29, 2016 1:15 PM
Aug 29, 2016 1:10 PM
Jun 2014
X_ said:
It looks like I was wrong last time and the show is not going to get better. I don't like this arc at all even though at first I didn't mind Kanda's past being animated. But what is the most disappointing is that after this episode I am sure this show will end with
I hope there will be at least a few interesting scenes with the 14th.

No, look at the opening scene with Allen. It won't have 4 filler episodes if u recognize the same scene in the manga.
Aug 29, 2016 1:19 PM
Jul 2016
No, all the following episodes aren't goint to be fillers. There's at least one small but important arc to continue with, while I'm sure the studio is goint to tease the next major arc which is still ongoing in the manga (since still they have enough place left for the last 4 episodes) and thus won't be animated for a while, until manga is complete.
Aug 29, 2016 1:25 PM
Aug 2016
I thought this episode was amazing! To be honest I didn't really notice the animation quality...I was too busy suckering up the the feels.

I loved the soundtrack this episode. Anyone else notice Lala's theme playing in the background of Alma and Kanda's final moments together?

And we finally get to hear Jasdevi and Lulu Bell! Their voices actually don't sound different even a tiny bit. To me, this episode was definitely the epitome of D.Gray Man Hallow and I can't wait for next week's ^_^

Curse you Link! You show up at the very wrong moment!
Aug 29, 2016 1:53 PM

Aug 2014
RiP Alma Karma, poor Yu got it so damn tough in this episode :<
Aug 29, 2016 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
Oh man. So hyped for what comes next. Animation... was better than last week. Good episode nonetheless.

TyrelAug 29, 2016 3:43 PM
Aug 29, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
GOOOOOOOD, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! I NEED MORE!!

The twist about Kalma's soul was great, i totally loved it!!! Though it made me cry a bit...

Buuuut, i can't say that i totally understand why Kanda and Kalma fought in the previous episode....
Aug 29, 2016 2:22 PM

Jul 2012
I think it was pretty good, at least much better than previous one. Didn't get me really into the feels probably cause of manga and i think it felt longer when i was reading.
Aug 29, 2016 3:28 PM
Aug 2016
TKMike said:
Animation and art still weak/inconsistent, but the episode did a good job capturing the feelings/atmosfeer of the manga(especially the Kanda and Alma moments).

Is it being animated by the same studio?!? Of the old d gray man?
Aug 29, 2016 3:30 PM
Aug 2016
Th
Hatsuyuki said:
Stark700 said:

these were fast moments.... U shoukd take a still scene instead
Aug 29, 2016 3:34 PM
Aug 2016
Good Episode loved it can't wait to see what happens , i think i saw a white version of millenium earl in the preview , i saw his real face 3 eps ago soooo , HYPE!!!
Aug 29, 2016 4:29 PM

Dec 2012
Amazing episode even though the animation still pretty bad compared to a couple weeks ago. Really curious to where they'll end the anime at now, I expected this content to be in the 12th episode or so
I like anime.
Aug 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Dec 2015
UchihaPower said:
Amazing episode even though the animation still pretty bad compared to a couple weeks ago. Really curious to where they'll end the anime at now, I expected this content to be in the 12th episode or so

Well I posted this on another site for the 2 ways it can end -as a manga reader. I see it ending on 205 or 208. One of these chapters.
SilverWolf442Aug 29, 2016 4:57 PM
Aug 29, 2016 4:46 PM

Aug 2012
I´m really glad the animation was better. The soundtrack nailed it! They played instrumental "tsunaida te ni kiss wo" and "lala no komori uta" perfectly.

Alma........ Oh my god, Alma..... I cried in this episode. I love this mayo dork as much as I love Kanda. Their reunion is just... I can´t.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Aug 29, 2016 4:58 PM
Jun 2014
Obito88 said:
TKMike said:

Is it being animated by the same studio?!? Of the old d gray man?

They are both developed by the same studio(TMS Entertainment).
I haven't done any research, but I assume D-Gray Man Hallow has less budget to work with compared to D Gray Man season 1. I think this is an experiment to see how many people are still interested in the anime after so many years(even though I'm not sure and this anime infact may have influenced the popularity in a bad way, because of the decent to bad animation or some people claiming the pacing to be bad(even though I have to disagree with them for the most part))
Aug 29, 2016 5:58 PM

Aug 2012
Those Alma x Kanda feels were done well, soundtrack 10/10. The rest was rough, but oh my god the hype is coming.
Aug 29, 2016 6:37 PM
Oct 2015
This series is just painful to watch. The villians are too OP and the bad things just keep piling up.
Aug 29, 2016 7:39 PM

Dec 2013
That was an emotional episode. Didn't expect that twist with Alma's soul.
Aug 29, 2016 8:34 PM
Jan 2016
Woohoo Jasdero has a hot and smexy face now, unlike a freak in S1 ghahaha.
but, that voice tho >__>
Aug 29, 2016 9:09 PM

Jan 2015
I loved it! The emotions were captured amazingly well. I especially like the parallel between Lala's story and Kanda's. Her lullaby was even there. It was beautifully done, imo.

Jotakak said:
Stark700 said:

Why do you always do this...? It's not just friendship! I bet if Alma's soul wasn't in a male body it wouldn't be a problem for you to acknowledge, right?

The thing I like about this is that a soul is a soul no matter what body it happens to be in. Kanda and Alma loved each other, despite being both males in this life, despite not even being both human at the end. Their love surpassed everything.

I'm gonna have to agree with OP. It was just a friendship in Kanda's and Alma's lifetime. In the past they were lovers. But that was then and this is now. Their current connection and love for each other has everything to do what they went through together and nothing to do with a past they partially remember (I'll admit it probably helped). Nothing about their current lives suggests that their relationship was romantic. Even the "I love you" felt like an expression between dear friends.

And I really liked that aspect. I think the storytelling was very clear that, yes they had a previous life that connected them, but they have their own lives now. What connected them in the present wasn't their past lives, but the hardships and circumstances they faced together. The fact that their previous souls (or past life?) could be put to rest knowing the end of their lover was enough for both of them.

So while I understand your position about their relationship, I disagree. Not because I can't acknowledge a gay relationship, but because there's not really much there to suggest that they had those kinds of feelings for each other in their current life. I agree that they love each other deeply, but to so much as say that it's romantic is too much of stretch for me.

To each their own, I suppose.
Aug 29, 2016 9:47 PM

Dec 2009
Nea_ said:
I loved it! The emotions were captured amazingly well. I especially like the parallel between Lala's story and Kanda's. Her lullaby was even there. It was beautifully done, imo.

Jotakak said:

I'm gonna have to agree with OP. It was just a friendship in Kanda's and Alma's lifetime. In the past they were lovers. But that was then and this is now. Their current connection and love for each other has everything to do what they went through together and nothing to do with a past they partially remember (I'll admit it probably helped). Nothing about their current lives suggests that their relationship was romantic. Even the "I love you" felt like an expression between dear friends.

And I really liked that aspect. I think the storytelling was very clear that, yes they had a previous life that connected them, but they have their own lives now. What connected them in the present wasn't their past lives, but the hardships and circumstances they faced together. The fact that their previous souls (or past life?) could be put to rest knowing the end of their lover was enough for both of them.

So while I understand your position about their relationship, I disagree. Not because I can't acknowledge a gay relationship, but because there's not really much there to suggest that they had those kinds of feelings for each other in their current life. I agree that they love each other deeply, but to so much as say that it's romantic is too much of stretch for me.

This is the most ridiculous bullshit I've seen anyone say in regards to Kanda's and Alma's past together, even from back when I read this arc in the manga years back. They were lovers and the whole point was to show it transcending their original lives into this one.

Everything about them laying there, with Alma dying was supposed to be portrayed as romantic. They are still the same souls that loved each other in their past life, and that love continued on to the point where Kanda was willing to search for his lover forever until he found out it was Alma.
Aug 29, 2016 9:51 PM

Jan 2014
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Nea_ said:

This is the most ridiculous bullshit I've seen anyone say in regards to Kanda's and Alma's past together, even from back when I read this arc in the manga years back. They were lovers and the whole point was to show it transcending their original lives into this one.

Everything about them laying there, with Alma dying was supposed to be portrayed as romantic. They are still the same souls that loved each other in their past life, and that love continued on to the point where Kanda was willing to search for his lover forever until he found out it was Alma.

Thank you. The two of them might have different bodies, but their souls are the same.
Aug 29, 2016 10:56 PM

May 2014
The emotions on this episode was successfully executed I love evry moment of it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2016 12:18 AM

Oct 2011
Omg Alma and kanda together 😭😭😭😭
Aug 30, 2016 1:02 AM

Sep 2013
A new rendition of the 14th's Melody at the beginning. Its been years since I've heard that song. Loving the nostalgia trip from the old OST.

Is that Cross Marian's voice coming out of Timcanpy!? Kanda with the Grey hair looks horrendous but Allen looking like a Noah is awesome!

This is really tragic. Each passing episode makes me feel more and more depressed over Kanda and Alma's situation. I knew he sounded so familiar with little dialogue Krory gets. I loved that Kanda called Allen Bean Sprout in telephathy before reviving himself. He finally called Allen by his full name! I'm not sure if this ever happened before!

Just looked it up, but the VA for Arystar is done by the VA for Sasuke Uchiha...That part should've gone to Kanda instead. Though I'm actually perfectly fine with the current VA for Kanda but I feel Sugiyama could do it better and the personality of Kanda/Sasuke is similar. Sugiyama fits Arystar as well so I'm not bothered by it. I still can't get use to fucking Lavi's voice though. It's awful.

Fucking Link and Rouvelier are easily the biggest cunts of the series and they haven't even been in this series for that long. If my memory serves me right, I believe they showed up around episode 95 out of 104(I think?) of the 1st series. Meaning that in less than 20 episodes, they are easily more of an antagonists than the Earl and Noah.

3/5

-Felt like this arc was rushed. I believe it was 2 Arcs in 5-6 episodes? Not too sure, again, I'm going off memory which is very poor. The farewell animation for Kanda and Alma was underwhelming and left a lot to be desired.

I lost my shit when I saw Chaozii floating in the water like that. God that was awful artwork. They made a grimm situation turn into unintentional comedy. I'm having PTSD of Mayoiga...

Aug 30, 2016 3:27 AM

Jan 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Nea_ said:

I'm really glad we can respect each other's opinions of a relationship that was not explicitly stated to be either romantic or platonic.

Haha. But you didn't do that so....

Anyway, I still don't agree. Even when I read the manga, I didn't get that romantic feel to it. If anything the bond they had reminded me of Ed and Al's relationship. The experiments were something I interpreted as being like an artificial reincarnation. So the soul is the same but the life is different. It reminded me of the idea that twins are reincarnated lovers (most twins aren't incestuous, but they do have a deep bond that's different from normal siblings) So I took their relationship differently than some.

Clearly. But I guess my interpretation is bull because differences....? I'm not sure.
Nea_Aug 30, 2016 3:42 AM
Aug 30, 2016 4:25 AM
Jul 2016
SilverWolf442 said:

Well I posted this on another site for the 2 ways it can end -as a manga reader. I see it ending on 205 or 208. One of these chapters.

Well, I have some other thoughts on this. Since at least 2-3 chapters are animated in one episode, I do think that
Aug 30, 2016 4:35 AM

Sep 2014
Nea_ said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

I'm really glad we can respect each other's opinions of a relationship that was not explicitly stated to be either romantic or platonic.

Anyway, I still don't agree. Even when I read the manga, I didn't get that romantic feel to it. If anything the bond they had reminded me of Ed and Al's relationship. The experiments were something I interpreted as being like an artificial reincarnation. So the soul is the same but the life is different. It reminded me of the idea that twins are reincarnated lovers (most twins aren't incestuous, but they do have a deep bond that's different from normal siblings) So I took their relationship differently than some.

Clearly. But I guess my interpretation is bull because differences....? I'm not sure.

Here's the way I see it, if Alma were female after reincarnation would we even have this discussion or know it's romantic? My bet's on the later. I guess I can see where people are coming from when they think it's friendship, but I sure don't hold my friends that way.

About the rest of the episode, I cried like a baby just like I did in the manga.
Aug 30, 2016 4:36 AM

Jul 2013
They adapted the death of Alma well despite the art being sloppy as times. That part was better in the manga imo, but, well, at least the voice acting helped.

Judging by the preview of the next episode, now it's 100 confirmed this will end during the

I'm a bit concerned about that, since with 4 episodes to air, and how short the arc is, I hope they don't drag it out too much.
Aug 30, 2016 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
That ost got me right through the heart ;-;
Really emotional episode, but dang the anime is ending soon
Aug 30, 2016 4:57 AM

Jun 2016
Awww I cried!! End really liked the scene when Kanda thanks Allen and finaly says his name in acknowledgement...I guess it was easy to see coming, but still liked it.
Aug 30, 2016 4:59 AM

Jan 2015
PaladinAlchemist said:
Nea_ said:

Here's the way I see it, if Alma were female after reincarnation would we even have this discussion or know it's romantic? My bet's on the later. I guess I can see where people are coming from when they think it's friendship, but I sure don't hold my friends that way.

About the rest of the episode, I cried like a baby just like I did in the manga.

I would still question it. Regardless of gender, I can't see it as romantic. Plus he was dying so...I would probably cradle a friend in my arms too (more than likely a family member since I don't have close friends). I'm a believer in platonic physical affection and so are other cultures. Two grown men holding hands in some places is simply a sign of friendship. Hence my stance.

Consequently, I'm starting to question what romantic love is and where the line is drawn between platonic and romantic love. It's been a thoughtful morning. But whatever.

I get that I hold an unpopular opinion. I just don't appreciate it when someone discredits my opinion because of reasons. Especially when I didn't do the same. It's insulting.
Aug 30, 2016 6:01 AM

Jun 2013
this was amazing and alot of emotions were conveyed
Aug 30, 2016 9:22 AM

Apr 2015
I really miss the old animation from season 1, I'm greatful that dgm is back, but HATE the animation so much, but even so I enjoying watching. Ep. 09 OMG Nea killing me every time. I LOVE his voice and the way he talks. Nea's scene are most precious, really enjoying s2 because of that. The 14th's Melody as background music, aaahh miss it so much <3 when I hear it I become to feel warm miss the old days of dgm.
Alma and Yuu <3 I cried, there scene was so touching. And I love the background music during Alma sence when he confess to Allen.
anyway I hate animation and the fact they did change Allan&lavi's voice, but enjoying every ep.
Aug 30, 2016 9:43 AM
Dec 2011
Why the hell did Link protect those two Level 4 in that one scene, when Alma self-destruct. You can clearly see the CROW magic seals around them.
Aug 30, 2016 1:31 PM
Jul 2016
Tigardrenalin said:
Why the hell did Link protect those two Level 4 in that one scene, when Alma self-destruct. You can clearly see the CROW magic seals around them.

Don't get silly, Link tried to restrain them with his spells, not to protect. If his magic seals look alike, it doesn't mean that the same spell is always cast. He restrained Allen exactly the same way in the end of episode (because of his 14-th aura).
Ravenlot_27Aug 30, 2016 1:40 PM
Aug 30, 2016 6:40 PM

Dec 2014
*sigh* tear jerking... another sad episode... :(((
Aug 30, 2016 8:30 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, another amazing episode. This is really as good a sequel as I could ask for, sure the pacing and animation aren't great but they are still doing a great job conveying the emotions properly. The part where Kanda and Alma are sent off to that place from the first few episodes made me cry.

I wonder what happened to Timcanpy there though. Sounded like Cross speaking through him... Hopefully that's explained later on.
Aug 30, 2016 9:55 PM

Oct 2008
I already forgot who is that dud who uses his onmyouji scroll to restrain Allen?
3/5.

Aug 30, 2016 11:38 PM

Jun 2007
I read somewhere that this season would focus on allen and kanda out of our main group from the first series, but I really hope with Lavi's disappearance, that when he comes back (asap please) he will be more relevant to the story ;-;
I miss my favorite character </3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

79 by Choostopher »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.