Forums
New
May 28, 2016 10:48 PM
Mar 2016
what the title says, what do you think?
user5265111Sep 13, 2016 9:41 PM
May 28, 2016 10:57 PM

Oct 2014
It's not as easy to do those things now as back then for many reasons I'm sure you're aware of.
May 28, 2016 11:07 PM

May 2013
society said hey its okay just be a lazy bitch and watch netflix :)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 28, 2016 11:09 PM
Jul 2015
Jou-dan said:

now people just settle for an okay apartment and enough money to buy needs and video games

Hey, that sounds pretty good. I'll shoot for that.
May 28, 2016 11:14 PM

Jan 2009
bad effects of capitalism happen or just the economy is so bad this days for majority of people, you will even hear news like this http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1514917
May 28, 2016 11:23 PM

Jul 2015
Netflix and chill :P
also that depends wat you were watching, and to what you're comparing now. I don;t think things have really changed that much, since then. It's just that you're not looking at the right place.
People still want to be famous and all those stuff. Look at Naruto, even as a kid, he was saying he was going to be Hokage. There a lot of other examples like him, even in the real world.
It's possible though that this became kinda cliche, and in tv, you see more people who don't have that much ambition.
I HAVE TWO RULES:

RULE ONE: I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
RULE TWO: IF I'M WRONG, REFER TO RULE ONE...
May 29, 2016 12:04 AM

Aug 2013
because the worlds going to shit, motivations are also down because of the total destruction of the now outdated work and future ethics. Now who can be bothered. Men used to be pushed to be ambitious, be the best with ambition came perks. Now anyone relatively ok with cash can buy the same shit everyone's getting gold ribbons in participation rather than excelling. Jobs are low, unemployment high. The job market sucks now, getting a degree no longer confirms you a good job. Recession and being the left overs from the previous fuck it all up generation. Progressive attitudes destroying age old gender based roles ect ect all leading to an unmotivated generation.

Like seriously whats the point anymore. You look at the world around you, the prospects. Why work towards a hard goal just to end up a little better off than someone whose just lucky. What can money buy us now everyone can afford a big tv and a games console now a days don't need to excel to have good things. The world needs a reset, another world war is inevitable. It will kill of plenty and those left will have renued work ethic and motivations to rebuild and attain what will no longer be easy access.

You're not going crazy OP theres a lot of evidence and study that show we're the unmotivated and lost generation. The kids of the 80's boom generation we were left with the fallout of their shit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21302065
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/the-unluckiest-generation-what-will-become-of-millennials/275336/
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/15/young-people-pessimistic-future-britons
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jan/09/young-people-generation-under-strain
SpooksMay 29, 2016 12:14 AM
May 29, 2016 12:07 AM

May 2016
People wanted to become corrupt politicians?
May 29, 2016 12:09 AM

Feb 2012
Well, when I say things like I want to set off to the stars, normal people will either think I'm crazy or that I'm joking. It's not looked well upon to have dreams anymore. The 70-90s was a very special era of progress and people then really felt that everything is possible, but now even those same people reflect this new era more than themselves from the past.

Also just to list a few things to give an idea what I'm talking about:
moon landing/space race, fall of berlin wall, fall of Soviet Union, rock legends with near immortal status etc.

mecharobotMay 29, 2016 12:24 AM
May 29, 2016 12:10 AM

Nov 2015
People were never as ambitious as you thought they were. I think you just grew up, you'll get used to it.

lmao "Progressive attitudes"..
May 29, 2016 12:17 AM

Nov 2015
SJW mentality, the curse of 'open-mindedness', shortsightedness for the sake of looking progressive -- you name it.
May 29, 2016 12:28 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I dunno about you, but I've been told all my life to aim low because they say:
1) No matter how hard they work or how good they are, it's still going to be hard for minorities to reach certain positions
2) Everything that's not achieved through lots of school is a lost cause

Even so, I'm aiming high and trying my best. I'm definitely not going to let something like being a minority scare me into not doing god work. You change your fate by actually doing something.

Heck, I told my mom and my "best friend" what I wanted to do with my life and they quickly started listing other things they'd prefer I'd do.
There's not a lot of ambition because there's not a lot of support because people want you to play it safe and they don't want you to fail. They're being realistic, which is good, but at the same time it's a bit of a dream killer.

So many times, people are faced with something like, "THIS many people are trying to do the same thing you want to do. Give up now (but if you're still willing to try, here are some ways to cope with rejection)". Those exact words are exactly what I see in a whole bunch of fields (especially my own, lol).
SwiggyMay 29, 2016 12:32 AM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 29, 2016 12:28 AM

Nov 2009
Doubt it really changed that much, however if it did, perhaps due to the massive population differences between 1950 and 2016.

In 1950 the world's population was 2,556,000,053. As of 2016 it is now 7,404,976,783. Kind of noticeable. perhaps with triple the pop., people wised up and realized they really weren't a special little snow flake. The chances of you starting a successful business are only really better than winning the lottery, becoming a politician requires you come from a family with connections. It is not a coincidence that most presidents are part of the 1% or higher (in fact usually a bit higher, think Obama or Bush). This goes for senators too. In order to succeed in politics you must be connected to people who will invest in your campaign . . . You can guess where that leads (this hasn't changed too much I would imagine, perhaps it has gotten worse, but it has always been the case. So I would just say as far as aspiring politicans in the 1950's go, they were just delusional unaware of how much time they were going to waste being the errand boy for the mayor in some podunk town with a population below 5,000). As for celebrities (being famous), in this day and age they aren't exactly something to be admired for the most part, but either way, I would actually choose the lottery over taking a shot at that if you want to be famous.
Pirating_NinjaMay 29, 2016 12:34 AM
May 29, 2016 12:33 AM

Aug 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Doubt it really changed that much, however if it did, perhaps due to the massive population differences between 1950 and 2016.

In 1950 the world's population was 2,556,000,053. As of 2016 it is now 7,404,976,783. Kind of noticeable.

Population can't keep growing, people who run society know this what are we going to do about it.....*pew pew pew* cull some numbers a removed social logic it makes the most sense and the people truly running things don't work from feeling. We got Russia and China lined up just gotta hit the switch, lose ourselves say 4 billion.
May 29, 2016 12:39 AM

Mar 2016
Shitty economic situation and some general stagnation in the society? The air is getting rotten.
Honestly... we're all poor, who'd have big dreams when you can b pretty sure that you won't ever be able to afford a house without taking a loan that will tie you down for your entire life? If you're even given that loan, that is. I think that as a society, we're disillusioned, feeling trapped, and bored. Plus there's lots of pressure from the get go, you gotta do well in school to b able to get scholarships, otherwise you most likely won't be able to afford higher education, and even higher education isn't worth much nowadays... No doubt everyone is fucking depressed, lmao.
doitagainMay 29, 2016 12:45 AM
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 29, 2016 12:44 AM

Nov 2009
Spooks said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

In 1950 the world's population was 2,556,000,053. As of 2016 it is now 7,404,976,783. Kind of noticeable.

Population can't keep growing, people who run society know this what are we going to do about it.....*pew pew pew* cull some numbers a removed social logic it makes the most sense and the people truly running things don't work from feeling. We got Russia and China lined up just gotta hit the switch, lose ourselves say 4 billion.
Not really commenting on whether or not it is sustainable. Just mentioning that the ambition of one, with 1/3 the competition is probably higher.

Not that any of this matters since I don't think it has actually changed at all.
May 29, 2016 12:46 AM

May 2015
What if these things don't bring happiness?

What if the cost of doing these things is waaaay higher now than it used to be?

A guitar costs a fucking lot.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 29, 2016 12:46 AM

Jun 2015
Spooks said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

Surely there are other solutions beside increasing the death rate? They won't be as effective as quickly, but they could work if people adhere to family laws etc. Also, the population problem will probably never get so serious that some pew pew pew action is needed.
May 29, 2016 12:54 AM

Aug 2013
Minnim said:
Spooks said:

Surely there are other solutions beside increasing the death rate? They won't be as effective as quickly, but they could work if people adhere to family laws etc. Also, the population problem will probably never get so serious that some pew pew pew action is needed.

Don't be so sure, a constant rising birth rate due to many countries peoples and better healthcare in first world countries and those people coming from high breeding populations to those countries means we're getting a massive boost in births and yet people are living longer and the deaths aren't equaling out. Soon we'll be on the precipice of disaster, we'll run out economically, food wise, space wise, old people will be taking up too much of society, too many large families in small housing as old people rattle around their 4 bedroom houses.

Better to use war as an excuse to legally rid the world of a huge burden of population than wait as the numbers continue to rise of which nothings going to stop people out breeding the dying, nothing without extreme measures. Give it another 20 years max. Otherwise we'll start seeing social collapse under its own weight and numbers, then civil unrest, war, poverty, famine. A world war is actually although horrible better for humanity in the long run than literally breeding ourselves to extinction. It's like a pressure valve. We argue about how much human life is worth but we're 7 billion now, individual human lives in the grand scheme isn't worth much at all. We can do with loosing a lot as cold as it may sound. Until we reach space the population can't outgrow its needs or space we will have to keep culling the overpopulation every time it outgrows the planets ability to support us, until we leave this planet.
SpooksMay 29, 2016 12:57 AM
May 29, 2016 1:21 AM

Jun 2015
Spooks said:

Don't be so sure, a constant rising birth rate due to many countries peoples and better healthcare in first world countries and those people coming from high breeding populations to those countries means we're getting a massive boost in births and yet people are living longer and the deaths aren't equaling out. Soon we'll be on the precipice of disaster, we'll run out economically, food wise, space wise, old people will be taking up too much of society, too many large families in small housing as old people rattle around their 4 bedroom houses.

Better to use war as an excuse to legally rid the world of a huge burden of population than wait as the numbers continue to rise of which nothings going to stop people out breeding the dying, nothing without extreme measures. Give it another 20 years max. Otherwise we'll start seeing social collapse under its own weight and numbers, then civil unrest, war, poverty, famine. A world war is actually although horrible better for humanity in the long run than literally breeding ourselves to extinction. It's like a pressure valve. We argue about how much human life is worth but we're 7 billion now, individual human lives in the grand scheme isn't worth much at all. We can do with loosing a lot as cold as it may sound. Until we reach space the population can't outgrow its needs or space we will have to keep culling the overpopulation every time it outgrows the planets ability to support us, until we leave this planet.

Well, people in educated, developed countries are aware of the problem, and are doing something about it. Birth rates in western countries have been declining since the 19th century. 1 or 2 children per family is sustainable. Most of the world's population growth is likely to continue to be in less developed countries. The problem is the uneducated rural communities where 7-8 children are normal. A few strict laws and widespread education will massively help.

Increasing the death rate is unrealistic. Nature kept the population at bay, but now by defying her with technology, we are putting ourselves at risk. But randomly killing about 4 billion people is against nature as well. In Europe the problem is not with population decrease per se but with the demographic changing so that there are more old and retired people (who are at least partly supported by the state) than there are working people paying taxes to provide the money for the benefits that the elderly are receiving. Decreasing the population so drastically could have unseen disadvantages, such as a decrease in the labor force or overpopulation of certain countries where massacres aren't being carried out.

Not to mention the other problems of this population genocide. People will resist and maybe more people could die than calculated by someone who would never put his own life at risk. Add in the fact that we have nuclear weapons now, and a global war would bring the population to such low levels that extinction of humans would be a very real possibility.
May 29, 2016 5:54 AM

Sep 2012
I miss the good ol' days when people became the president. RIP president we haven't had one in 20 years.

Remember when people owned businesses? Man, that just doesn't happen these days.

Sigh only 90s kids understand

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 6 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

16 by DesuMaiden »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

34 by DesuMaiden »»
24 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

21 by 707supremacist »»
40 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

315 by Lightskynight »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.