Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 19, 2016 1:54 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
With our user base continually expanding, we are currently looking for helpful individuals who have a passion for reviews/recommendations and would like to contribute to improving MAL's community content.

All moderator positions are voluntary.

A Review Moderator's duties include, but are not limited to:
  • Knowing, understanding, and executing the Review and Recommendation Guidelines.
  • Cooperating with other moderators and admins to maintain a standard level for all reviews and recommendations on MAL.
  • Checking the queue and recent reviews/recs pages frequently for troll/spam submissions.
  • Assisting users in editing and improving their reviews/recommendations.
  • Evaluating review/recommendation reports submitted by users.
  • Idling in our Staff IRC channel as often as possible. This is important, as it's the quickest way to get in touch with the rest of the moderator team.
A Review Moderator must:
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Possess very good English skills.
  • Have good communication skills, a community-oriented attitude, and a genuine interest in helping other users.
  • Possess a bottomless well of patience and be able to withstand angry complaints without being ruffled.
  • Have enough time to perform moderator duties on a daily basis.
  • Register for a RizonBNC.
To apply, please send my bot a PM including the following:
  • Subject: Review Moderator
  • A number of paragraphs (use your own discretion on length) addressing:
    -- why you are interested in this position;
    -- why you think you are qualified for this position;
    -- what you feel you will bring to the team and community; and,
    -- what you feel the existing team/community/guidelines are currently lacking.
  • Any concerns you may have about meeting at least one year of active moderation.
Note: If you have already submitted an open application for Review Moderator, you do not need to re-submit.

Submissions will be open for two weeks, ending on Friday, June 3, 2016 at 23:59 Pacific Time.
Be forewarned: You will owe Kineta kitty gifs if you cannot follow these simple instructions.

We look forward to reading your applications! Thank you for your interest :)

Interested in a different moderator position?
Check out the How to Become a MAL Moderator thread.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 19, 2016 3:17 PM

Nov 2008
Only three R/R mods left?! Could've sworn we had way more :v

^_-
May 19, 2016 5:13 PM

Mar 2012
Good luck, applicants. We're counting on you Make MAL Great Again.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 19, 2016 5:34 PM
Mar 2014
Mr_Sassy_Pants said:

^_-

There are currently four: @_Ghost_, @Snakes, @Maffy, and @Veronin. That aside, I look forward to seeing some new faces on the mod team.
May 19, 2016 11:08 PM

Aug 2015
I wonder who.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
May 20, 2016 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
Good luck to anyone applying!
May 20, 2016 2:35 AM

Aug 2015
Good luck applicants. 👍

Hopefully , we should have plenty of reliable Reviews and recommendations soon.
Z-DanteMay 21, 2016 7:14 AM
May 20, 2016 3:44 AM

Mar 2013
Mr_Sassy_Pants said:

^_-

The status has been as it is for quite a while now. Meaning that the review/rec moderators were needed for quite a long time now, it's just that the recruitment thread has been put up now.

Truth be said, the review section lacked moderator attention so much that I've partly given up on the matter. But hopefully it will be maintained appropriately with more mods on the team.

Good luck to anyone applying.
May 20, 2016 4:53 AM
May 20, 2016 6:21 AM

Mar 2015
I've stopped reading recommendations because they are mostly full of spoilers
May 20, 2016 8:16 AM

Jan 2015
Good luck to everyone who applies!

Satsugai_Otaku said:
age required 18
thats a heart breaker because now i cannot apply

Do you have a lot of passion for this forum? Do you want to help out? Then the age requirement doesn't really matter. You think you have everything (and more) it requires to be a Review Moderator? Then try, no one ever died.
May 20, 2016 9:36 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Xenocrisi said:
Then try, no one ever died.

*hides knives*
May 20, 2016 9:39 AM

Jan 2015
Maffy said:
Xenocrisi said:

*hides knives*

Almost no one*
-Prepares for battle-
May 20, 2016 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
Aww, I'm only thirteen so I can't join! :(

Good luck everyone, hope we pick really good R/R moderators to add a good change on the current reviews and recommendations! :)

Z-Dante said:
Good luck applicants. 👍

Hopefully , we should have plenty of reliable Reviews and recommendations soon.

I can still remember that a few days ago, I saw a recommendation From Code Geass to Boku no Pico saying one 1 line, "They're both shit" >_>
Hope MAL will soon cure this cancer.

XD That is so cruel, especially considering the fact that those two animes have no correlation whatsoever. I remember coming across this one review (which was evaluating Kiznaiver) that had consistent swearing in it, thus making it purely subjective. They stated things such like "It's so fucking shit! The characters are off" without really saying why. I think it's still there, I'm not really sure.

Even though I don't meet the age requirement, I'll still participate nonetheless. It's worth a shot! >-<
TyrelMay 21, 2016 11:53 PM
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 20, 2016 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
Thank you guys for the enthusiasm! Good luck to anyone that applies, seriously can't wait to see what you guys have for us! :). As much as we appreciate people discussing reviews socially, please try to keep this thread posts relevant to *just* mod recruitment. If you want to discuss reviews you don't like or that aren't following the Review guidelines you can always talk about it privately over PM, or perhaps report review/rec, there is a report button at the bottom right of every review.

Appreciate you!
SnakesMay 20, 2016 11:11 AM
May 20, 2016 1:20 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I've had some people asking me to be a review mod for some time, and I'm pretty sure I could do it if I wanted to. Problem is I'm not sure I actually want to..
May 20, 2016 1:53 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Good luck to all the applicants. :)

Maffy said:
Xenocrisi said:

*hides knives*

For everyone that got scared from Maffy's post, don't worry, I will protect you from her! >:3

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
May 20, 2016 2:34 PM

Aug 2013
HaXXspetten said:
I've had some people asking me to be a review mod for some time, and I'm pretty sure I could do it if I wanted to. Problem is I'm not sure I actually want to..
Eh, give it a shot. The worst that could happen would be for you to end up in the way of Maffy's rampage or maybe going on one yourself. ;3

May 20, 2016 3:41 PM

Aug 2014
May 20, 2016 4:36 PM
Jun 2007
I'm 28 and have to much time on my hand but I don't think reviews is for me since I don't read them anyway. Mainly because it either has spoils or irrelevant cursing O.O
Good luck to all those applying 👍
May 20, 2016 8:09 PM

May 2014
I'm definitely interested in the position. The only problem is I don't use MAL as frequently as I used to, so I doubt that I'd be an effective moderator. But I'll have a lot of free time on my hands this summer, so I'll give it some thought over the next few days.

I'd also like to commemorate everyone who signs up for this position!
May 20, 2016 11:07 PM

Sep 2015
I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I actually like reading the reviews here and I have a few suggestions.

The only change that needs to happen is a character limit. It needs to be at least a page or two to get submitted. I don't think a review that's less than a paragraph is going to help anyone. If they don't have any thoughtout reviews, then they shouldn't make one.

Maybe add a feature to check for series as well. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone tell me that the review covers both season one and two. I didn't come to hear about the whole package, I came for that specific chunk of the plot.

But please, please, PLEASE, add a feature where we can find the reviews we've marked as helpful. There has been plenty of times when I wanted to quote someone else's review because it had what I was trying to say but written better, but I couldn't get to it. The rare 2% of reviews offers great analysis and it's a shame that they are buried below short paragraphs of plot summary.

Rarity is Best Pony!
May 21, 2016 12:18 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
QABJAB said:
I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I actually like reading the reviews here and I have a few suggestions.

The only change that needs to happen is a character limit. It needs to be at least a page or two to get submitted. I don't think a review that's less than a paragraph is going to help anyone. If they don't have any thoughtout reviews, then they shouldn't make one.
In that case it shouldn't apply to all anime. Shorts, OVAs, Specials and stuff should be exceptions. You don't need an essay to review a 5-minute Bluray special after all
May 21, 2016 2:50 AM

Apr 2010
QABJAB said:

What about recommendations? *links his "flawless" recommendation*
May 21, 2016 8:59 AM

Jul 2013
I'm going to try my best again guys! wish me luck! last year I tried database and failed now I'm going to step it up to review and recommendations!!
May 21, 2016 10:21 AM
Jun 2015
Damn! Why does it have to be 18 year old, I wish I could still became a moderator at age 15, gonna turn 16 in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean I would love to help this place with free of charge... I mean my time would be useful for something!

Gonna lose my DT!
May 21, 2016 4:17 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Jicetus said:

For everyone that got scared from Maffy's post, don't worry, I will protect you from her! >:3
Awk. Now I'm curious :)
20 years ago I would have jumped at this, but I long ago lost the patience that doing such a job requires.
To all those complaining they are to young, sorry! Having said that, I echo some others in saying it doesn't hurt to apply anyway
(nervously watching for @Maffy...)
May 21, 2016 5:18 PM

Mar 2014
Awesome! Finally I'm gonna be able to delete shitty revie-
A Review Moderator must:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 21, 2016 6:35 PM

May 2014
I wish this had been done before that change in the reviewing section. That bad thing which I'd rwther forget. Well I hope the new folks will, I don't even know what to say. What can they possibly do about it 😐
May 21, 2016 8:08 PM

Feb 2013
Hmmm, I'll think about it.
May 21, 2016 8:39 PM

Aug 2015
Comic_Sans said:
A Review Moderator must:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
What? Conic_sans isn't 18 years old yet? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
IIRC , wasn't your original birth year was also 1997?
What made you change it to 2017? Joining MAL before being born must be pretty badass >.>

*Watches out for Maffy*😁
Z-DanteMay 21, 2016 8:43 PM
May 22, 2016 12:57 AM

Mar 2014
Z-Dante said:
Comic_Sans said:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
What? Conic_sans isn't 18 years old yet? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, I won't be born until 2017 so obviously I'm not 18 yet
IIRC , wasn't your original birth year was also 1997?
What made you change it to 2017? Joining MAL before being born must be pretty badass >.>

*Watches out for Maffy*😁
1999, and that birth year was false

Who's Maffy?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 22, 2016 1:18 AM

Aug 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Z-Dante said:
*Watches out for Maffy*😁
Who's Maffy?

He is👇
Maffy said:
Xenocrisi said:

*hides knives*
May 22, 2016 1:27 AM

Mar 2014
Z-Dante said:
Comic_Sans said:
Who's Maffy?

He is👇
Maffy said:

*hides knives*
Oh ok

H-hello Maffy
Nico- said:
May 22, 2016 2:41 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007

C'mon, how is "Maffy" a male name?

*takes knives out again*

PS: Jicetus can do nothing to protect any of you, mwahahaha :v
May 22, 2016 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
Samig-Senpai said:
Damn! Why does it have to be 18 year old, I wish I could still became a moderator at age 15, gonna turn 16 in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean I would love to help this place with free of charge... I mean my time would be useful for something!

Gonna lose my DT!

What's DT? If it's virginity then no, that won't make your age mature.
May 22, 2016 10:33 AM
Jun 2015
IMKZ said:
Samig-Senpai said:

Gonna lose my DT!

What's DT? If it's virginity then no, that won't make your age mature.

Aahhhahaha your funny well I guess that what it means from the anime Ixion Saga DT! But it actually means Dimensional Transfer!
May 22, 2016 12:14 PM

Mar 2011
Good luck to all the applicants!
May 22, 2016 5:52 PM

Jun 2015
Good luck to everyone who are submitting!

May 22, 2016 6:23 PM
Nov 2015
Good luck to all those who apply. It sounds like it would be an interesting job. But alas I spend most of my time on Disqus.com. So I am of no use here. I will take my leave.

Good day/evening to you all.
May 22, 2016 7:43 PM

Jan 2016
good luck to you all ;D
The goal of all life is death.

You can run...but not hide.

¡Welcome to Hell!
May 23, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2015
I would really love to submit, but unfortunately, i'm not that good at English so i can become a review moderator :/
Good luck to everyone to submits!! :)
May 23, 2016 5:28 AM

Feb 2015
I'd love to, for I love reading reviews and spoilers are nothing to me; but hell, I'm not still 18 years old.
May 23, 2016 5:31 AM

Apr 2015
My reviews are super subjective so I can't be a review moderator, not to mention my grammar sucks. Anyways good luck for everyone who applies.
May 23, 2016 6:36 AM
Overlord

Jul 2015
Comic_Sans said:
A Review Moderator must:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

Its not a big problem you have to wait only for 18 years 5 months and 17 days. maybe they make an exception for you in 5 weeks and 17 days maybe not
May 23, 2016 6:38 AM

Mar 2014
TheGambler97 said:
Comic_Sans said:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

Its not a big problem you have to wait only for 18 years 5 months and 17 days. maybe they make an exception for you in 5 weeks and 17 days maybe not
I'm turning 18 in November 2017 so I don't know
Nico- said:
May 23, 2016 6:55 AM
Overlord

Jul 2015
Comic_Sans said:
TheGambler97 said:

Your MAL Profile definetly says Born in 2017 so if my mathematical calculations are correct your are -5 months and 17 days old and in november you will be 0 years old. just say you are a time traveler then MAL will accept you and make an exception. hh
May 23, 2016 6:56 AM

Jan 2013
Why is MAL racist towards people who're below 18?

... Age doesn't display maturity and skill.

I know my application gonna get looked over, but I'll try it anyway. Not losing anything
KladMay 23, 2016 7:00 AM
May 23, 2016 7:06 AM
Overlord

Jul 2015
IssaGold said:
Why is MAL racist towards people who're below 18?

... Age doesn't display maturity and skill.

No i dont think either but i think its just about legal law parants have to accept, terms of use (you read that right?) and stuff i think. if its not this i have no idea
May 23, 2016 7:36 AM

Mar 2014
TheGambler97 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Your MAL Profile definetly says Born in 2017 so if my mathematical calculations are correct your are -5 months and 17 days old and in november you will be 0 years old. just say you are a time traveler then MAL will accept you and make an exception. hh
Sounds great to me
Nico- said:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.