Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 1, 2016 6:16 PM

Apr 2015
Alright ending; the way Kiku just froze at Yotaro's pleading almost made me laugh. I really enjoyed watching this. The characters and pacing were well done and the execution, especially, was great. I don't know if I'll really warm up to Yotaro and Konatsu's part yet, but I'm looking forward to the next season. 9/10
Apr 1, 2016 6:19 PM

Sep 2013
This will be remembered as a classic in the years to come.

Will S2 be as good as this? Man, it'll be hard to do so. The story of Kikuhiko and Sukeroku will be forever in my mind. Such a beautiful and down to earth tale. But, if season 2 manages to be half emotional and well-directed as this was, it'll be amazing as well.

9/10 for sure.
AvokApr 1, 2016 6:23 PM
Apr 1, 2016 6:22 PM

Sep 2010
This was really an incredible experience that cannot be found in any other anime.

I can see why some may not like the show seeing what average anime viewer usually watches but there are really some hidden gems hidden out here. This one anime will become one of those hidden gems.

I am pretty sure that this is the best show of the season, although not many will have the same opinion in the community. From where I see it however those that watched it think so as well.

Rakugo parts are great and I think that I might end up re watching some of them in the future (a list of which "full rakugo" is in which episode is something that needs to be made!). The life aspect is greatly done as well. I always like the full story of life all the way from the childhood to the elderly.

The best part however are the voice acting of both Bon and Shin, they truly got the best guys for the job. Especially in Bon's case.

Now as for second season news... well I will deffinitelly watch it but something tells me that I will enjoy it less than the first season. At first I really enjoyed the first episode with Yotaro, but when Bon's flashback took the wheel, I soon forgot about the first episode and it's MC (like I definitely didn't remember Yotaro's name). With Bon becoming the MC, the show gained really great and unique protagonist. And with him not only the rakugo part was great but the life story part was great as well.

On the other hand second season's MC will be Yotaro yet again right... and well as much as I liked his character in the first season, in this last episode i somehow felt like he is "worse version of Shin/Sukeroku". I am pretty sure that for a long time in the next season I will think so as well... but oh well. Even if the second season will not be as great I will still take it.

Still all those characters died... why do I feel that somewhere in the middle it will be now Bon's time to die... ah I don't want to see that. ... sob,sob. (I am still crying over Shin's death as I left both episode 12 and 13 to watch in one go.)
Apr 1, 2016 6:35 PM

Dec 2012
AOTS without a doubt. 9/10
Apr 1, 2016 6:52 PM

Jun 2014
I really wish this show was more popular, it's practically the definition of a hidden gem and was definitely AOTS, not Erased. Then again, the super popular shows tend to be the ones with the most shitposters and trolls, so I guess the relative obscurity of this anime is a good thing.

It was nice to see everything come back to the present again, especially since we hadn't seen Yotaro since the first episode. Him dropping that "let me inherit the Sukeroku name" out of nowhere was definitely a great way to leave us wanting more. Also, I wonder if we'll ever see Konatsu's baby daddy lol. Anyway, I'm so glad we got a second season announcement, I can't wait. This anime was the surprise of the season and was great to watch, 8.5/10.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 1, 2016 6:57 PM

Aug 2011
Man, I'm so glad that this is getting a sequel! (thx DEEN)

Wasn't expecting much when i got into this show, but every episode kept me enthralled from start to finish. The writing is just top notch. Sometimes it felt like i was watching real people on screen & not just animated characters.

Looking forward to seeing more interactions between Yotaro, Konatsu & Kiku-san next season!!!
Apr 1, 2016 7:52 PM

Jan 2011
I'm so glad there's gonna be a season 2. You can't leave it like that.
Apr 1, 2016 9:14 PM

Jul 2012
maybe it was the best anime of this season, but that ending was just disappointing.
i dont think it was the best choice to build in a time skip for that younger guy how he went from a former prisoner to a rakugo pro. And honestly i dont really care about him, he had basically no screen time and he was used as a tool to tell that story, he got no value for that show.
They should have keep like it was telling that old story and thats it, with a second season it can only get worse.
Apr 1, 2016 9:55 PM
Jun 2008
Farabeuf said:
A great series all around. Best of the season hands down and one of the better shows of the last years. Shame they couldn't finish it in one go. I fear for the planned second season. As far as I can see, sales in Japan are not too great. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I got a real bad feeling about the fatherhood of that child, but I'm hoping my twisted take on human psychology is proven wrong.

i think its kiku's because he was talking to sukeroku saying is it what ive done to konatsu.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
Apr 1, 2016 10:57 PM

Oct 2011
My very first 9/10 anime this year, this show is truly a pleasant surpirse. Stoked for the second season albeit I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as the flashback arc

Sunaryt said:
maybe it was the best anime of this season, but that ending was just disappointing.
i dont think it was the best choice to build in a time skip for that younger guy how he went from a former prisoner to a rakugo pro. And honestly i dont really care about him, he had basically no screen time and he was used as a tool to tell that story, he got no value for that show.
They should have keep like it was telling that old story and thats it, with a second season it can only get worse.
Had the same thought, since I thought the flashback episodes will just be around for like a couple weeks. I kept thinking "Oi, what about the Yotarou storyline? Did you guys forgot about it?" to the point that I started to not care anymore and just go with the show's flow

Anyway I feel like the sequel will focus more on Yotaro and how he is a reminder to Kiku that Sukeroku will continue to haunt him until the day he dies.
Apr 1, 2016 11:44 PM
Nov 2013
With season 2 announced, I am so fucking hyped.

9/10, this was definitely the best anime of the winter season, and a true gem that appears every now and then.
Apr 1, 2016 11:49 PM

Jul 2015
A pretty good anime, 7/10
Apr 1, 2016 11:54 PM

Nov 2012
Why I have the feeling of Kiku-san being the father of that child?

My Candies:

Apr 1, 2016 11:57 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This finale was heartbreaking.......And I don't even know what to say about Konatsu going out and getting herself pregnant like that

Thank goodness for S2, because I really want to see what happens next, especially since Yotaro is growing so much and wants to inherit Shin's stage name now even

Solid 9.5/10 for the AOTS
Apr 1, 2016 11:58 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
knktzvra said:
Why I have the feeling of Kiku-san being the father of that child?
Oh god, that would be beyond fucked up if that happened lol
Apr 2, 2016 12:06 AM

Oct 2015
My little fragile heart. My sympathy goes to the child. I'm more excited knowing she will have her own baby now. Damn, she just inherited something from her mother. Haha.

Good thing second season has already been announced.
Apr 2, 2016 12:16 AM

Jan 2009
It's such a shame a lot of people decided to skip this one, anime of the season for me. I'm not a fan of Studio Deen at all, making in the past most the worst adaptations of manga alongside studio Pierrot but this time Deen proved me wrong and made me really enjoy almost every second of it. Looking forward to the second season. 9/10.
Apr 2, 2016 12:38 AM

May 2008
I'm really going to miss watching this show week to week. Its attention to detail when portraying subtleties in body language were absolutely delicious. That may seem like a strange reason to like a series, but this is coming from someone who liked Super Sonico for the quality of its background noises.

Putting my weird preferences aside, this series is just simply a well told story, much like the essence behind Rakugo itself. The love and care DEEN put into this project truly shows and that announcement of the second season is the icing on the cake. Now if only DEEN put this much effort into their other projects.

Waiting for the second season may kill me though, that cliff hanger was SAVAGE! DAMN YOU DEEN! This unexpected jump is making you seem more endearing. Nooooo, my resolve to hate you over previous adaptions is crumbling.

Apr 2, 2016 12:48 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah, of course, AOTS, the OP was amazing, the characters, seiyuus, plot, a lot of moments, OST, all of this was so good.

My Candies:

Apr 2, 2016 1:02 AM

Jul 2013
Easily AOTS, no doubt about it. Erased doesn't even come close. Superb story, unique characters (something that's just extremely rare in anime), coupled with fantastic background music. I'm so glad to know they've already prepared a sequel (well they have to!!) although it'd be interesting to see how the modern generation can reach the standard of their master's flashback story.

9/10
Apr 2, 2016 1:22 AM

Jul 2013
I'm not sure how I feel about this last episode. I thought that the series would pick up from where we left off at ep 1, so, in my opinion, the huge timeskip felt weird. Konatsu's pregnancy also came from absolutely fucking nowhere. On the other hand, we were gifted two extremely powerful scenes this week, both the one at the graveyard and Kikuhiko accepting the Yakumo name, which was even more symbolic.

Anyway, despite my mixed feelings about this last episode, the series as a whole was AOTS by a large margin, really, and one of the best in the last couple of years. 9/10
Apr 2, 2016 1:46 AM

Jun 2014
What a powerful and emotional finale! With the last line of the conversation at the graveyard ended, I was like" WTF you can't end it like that!"

So glad they confirmed a second season. AOTS for me and so far its my favorite of the year.

9/10 Overall and can't wait to watch the 2nd season in modern day Japan!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Apr 2, 2016 1:49 AM

Aug 2012
Man, what a finale. The transition from flashback to timeskip in which Yota is suddenly a Shin'uchi should have been jarring, but it felt SO NATURAL. We started with downright nausea inducing grief, and landed in a somber, yet hopeful place where Sukeroku's legacy is continued and their dream to keep Rakugo thriving is still alive.

Konatsu's reaction to Yota's Sukeroku-esque Nozarashi, the absolutely mind blowing graveyard scene, everything lead to Yota taking up the Sukeroku name which made the timeskip realistic and just perfectly executed. The script, composition, and direction just seamlessly connected and nailed exactly what they were going for. Hats off to Omata, the direction was simply flawless throughout, and hands down the best musical direction this season. I don't know if the manga followed the same transition that this did, I sorta doubt it, but either way, THIS is the ideal adaptation for a character driven show like this. I absolutely can't wait for the second season, cannot express how happy I am about that especially after seeing the finale(how's that for a unique, facetious season 2 announcement from Yota?)
Apr 2, 2016 2:10 AM

Apr 2011
Thankfully it was first season, lol
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Apr 2, 2016 2:34 AM

Apr 2013
What a wonderful last episode back to the present time~ The graveyard scene was superb and I can't wait for season 2. The story-telling and character development of this show is just on-point and went beyond my expectations.

Definitely and easily the AOTS of Winter 2016. Nothing from this season even came close to Rakugo. 9.5/10 rounded to a 10.
Apr 2, 2016 3:18 AM

Nov 2008
Goku said:
Loved it, and a season to is coming? Hell yes!

I got a little pissed while watching it, because my mom and dad kept asking me to run favors. So my whole mood was out of rhythm. Thankfully after 6 minutes in the stopped calling my name, sigh.

You impudent child, listen to your elders *Kiku's voice*

Easily AOTS of the winter 2016
Apr 2, 2016 3:23 AM

Sep 2014
8/10. A truly great Anime and I am eagerly waiting for the second season. This Anime is EASILY the best Anime I've seen in a long time. :)
Apr 2, 2016 3:26 AM

Dec 2013
TheLittleRedHero said:
Well as usual this shows didn't really convinced me... eh... I personally would give it critically an 8, but personal I give it a pure 1 xD

Before anyone attacks me, I say at least I gave it from a critical score :3

HOW THE FUCK‍‍‍
Apr 2, 2016 5:52 AM

Apr 2013
A hidden diamond of the season. Sadly to whoever I may recommend this. They will fall asleep cause of 'No action and fanservice'. Anyway loved it from start to end. This is what we call a quality piece of work fellas.
5/5 for the episode
9/10 for the series
P.S. I'm so excited to hear about the 2nd season. SWEET!
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Apr 2, 2016 7:03 AM

Oct 2014
This is my first time giving an on-going anime a 10/10. DEEN is the true messiah of anime all along.

Also, did I interpret it wrong, but what does Kiku mean at the grave when he said, "Over what I've done to your daughter"? Is he the father of the child? Damn, now I must try to not die before I know the answer lol.
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
Apr 2, 2016 7:09 AM

Dec 2014
ok the ending still seemed a little blur to me
but still gonna miss this show. Hoping a second season is not a hoax
Apr 2, 2016 8:13 AM

Sep 2012
bagazkarap said:
This is my first time giving an on-going anime a 10/10. DEEN is the true messiah of anime all along.

Also, did I interpret it wrong, but what does Kiku mean at the grave when he said, "Over what I've done to your daughter"? Is he the father of the child? Damn, now I must try to not die before I know the answer lol.

That is not at all how I interpreted it. Rather, I thought that Kiku was referring to how he made Konatsu an orphan, didn't raise her with any love and affection, actively discouraged her dreams of pursuing rakugo and was just generally a bad parent. It's what gave rise to her resentment for him - he literally did nothing to damp it. Konatsu getting herself pregnant out of wedlock isn't really something to rave home about to her Father, either. He probably regrets raising her the way he did.
Apr 2, 2016 10:27 AM

Jun 2013
that graveyard scene man the feels
YES THERE'S A SECOND SEASON!!!!!!
Apr 2, 2016 11:07 AM

Nov 2011
Started watching this late in the season and I don't regret at all
Waiting eagerly for the second season
Baby, daijobanai...
Apr 2, 2016 11:10 AM

Jan 2015
Sukeroku died trying his best to protect his treasure, now the part of treasure that is left is going to be sad.
Go easy on her, she's lost her parents, you've lost your brother.
Katsura's voice actor is too fucking good.
The storytelling ends. It was brilliant from start to finish!
Yotaro trying to be Sukeroku, well he can do whatever he wants
Dafaq she's gonna have a kid, hopefully the father isn't some shitass.
Kiku's had to struggle all his life, he never found his own treasure, man's had to stand up all the time, couldn't sit down.
This anime was brilliant, I really liked it, the ending was alright.
The way Rakugo was shown was very interesting, the way the story was told was very good.
Great anime 8.7/10
Season 2 should be good too!
AhoNoGinApr 2, 2016 11:13 AM
Apr 2, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2011
Seamless transition from the flashback to the present day!
(Plus we also don't need Yotaro establishing himself since we get to see his performance.)

This series turned out way better than I expected. I'm very glad they decided to do a second season~! The story is not yet over.
Apr 2, 2016 6:21 PM

Apr 2015
OMG, Yotaro acts exactly like Sukeroku. This is so cool.
This show surprised me until the last minute. I didn't expect that konatsu would be pregnant and the father is a strange (at least for us xD).
Konatsu also looks exactly like miyokichi, which bothers me a little bit because i like konatsu but i hate her mother.
Can't wait for season 2
This was the AOTS
10/10
Apr 2, 2016 6:42 PM

Apr 2015
Good end to a fantastic series. I can't wait for the next season.

I watched a lot of anime over the last year and this was definitely one of the best!
Apr 2, 2016 10:15 PM

Nov 2007
The graveyard scene was done masterfully.

I was spoiled regarding Konatsu's baby but it's okay. At least I know she won't be an irresponsible adult like her parents. She has what it takes to bring up a child. And I am sure Yotarou would make a wonderful husband for her, and a great father for her boy and the boy will carry the Sukeroku name for sure.

This has been a sensational ride. More Konatsu and Yotaro please. Cannot say how happy I am now that we know a sequel will be made. Definitely the AOTS.

9/10
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 3, 2016 1:56 AM

Aug 2009
9/10 AOTS

Nuff said

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 3, 2016 3:38 AM

Jun 2013
This and Boku Dake were my AOTS.

9/10 only because I felt it was too short. I wish they could've told Yotaro's story too. I am looking forward to a second season, I'll read the manga from here on.
BibimbapskiApr 3, 2016 4:03 AM
臭い-
Apr 3, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
AOTS by quite a distance, don't know how 2nd season will be without Yuurakutei as MC, but looking forward to it nonetheless. 8

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 3, 2016 8:24 AM

Oct 2009
I laughed when Yota said, "Is that end enough for you?" :D
Great series, btw...
Don't like it? Just stop watching/reading it. Why become a masochist that keep going through something you don't like and bitching in the end of it?
Apr 3, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
This anime was such a good surprise for me! I am glad I watched it, I was not this luck with other choices I made this season, but this one was a true gold! Amazing art, a good story, a lot of drama and fun!
I wonder who is the dad of Konatsu's baby?! OMG, does the manga readers knows?
9/10
Apr 3, 2016 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
My heart is weak after the conclusion of this series, talk about an emotional rollercoaster. This is by far the only contender for AOTS, moreover the only series from Winter 2016 that didn't disappoint me at all, really surprised at how well this ended overall, props to DEEN. It was a unique delight to watch and a surprisingly innovative concept that I'd never seen done before, set in an era that few anime hearken back to, let alone from a Japanese perspective, and a device that few have talked about or explored, rakugo. I adored it... glad to know there'll be a S2 eventually, even if it was announced it'll take forever to finally premiere, can't wait for it.

9/10. gets the added accolade of being AOTS.
removed-userApr 4, 2016 12:36 AM
Apr 3, 2016 11:24 PM
Feb 2012
S2 is the best news I've heard this year! I loved this show 10/10 for me.
Apr 4, 2016 3:21 AM

Jan 2015
Well..... This will bury the Deen meme now. Inb4 raging Fate fams incoming
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 4, 2016 6:43 AM

Feb 2008
The actualy manner in which the production team wrapped the show up was rather clever. And, above all, absolutely fitting for this awesome show! The episode itself was very enjoyable as well, particularly the graveyard scene.
Apr 4, 2016 6:00 PM

Jul 2015
Best anime series since Ping Pong the Animation, period. I really hope the second season can live up to its first, although I'm slightly skeptical about Yotarou.

Overall, this series is a solid 8/10 in my book.
Apr 4, 2016 9:15 PM

Oct 2011
Cried my eyes out when Yotarou did Nozarashi OMFG T____T

Sukeroku Yotarou OMFG YES!!!!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.