Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 24, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was weird, especially in terms of the imaginative creativeness. Hmm, Children of the Forest...

Wasn't really feeling the mystery of this episode though except for the buildup. Chika definitely played a nice little role this episode as well, I feel like her role has become more mature in the recent episodes. The 'first love' plot and Naoko's aunt seems somewhat interesting I guess.

Stark700Feb 24, 2016 10:18 AM
Feb 24, 2016 10:26 AM

Jan 2015
That's it Chika, never let down your guard. LOL
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 24, 2016 10:51 AM

Apr 2010
Seems Benjant had a different thought about the group he joined tho not surprising seeing how they treated him.
Still it was in interesting story.
Also Chika feeding Haruto is funny they already function as a couple and her mother must trust them a lot to leave them home alone when she isn't around.
Feb 24, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was so weird!

The "First Love" plot was alright!
Feb 24, 2016 11:03 AM

Jan 2012
So what were the animals actually a euphemism for? A cult or something? Feel like that went over my head. Anywho, a sad reveal to be sure, but glad Naoko can live with her aunt, and seems to have grown closer to Chika. :)

That First Love Sommelier guy though? Douche.
Feb 24, 2016 11:29 AM
Feb 2008
Can someone explain to me in idiot-terms what this week's onigiri plot was about?

So somehow, the sommelier managed to perfectly recreate the onigiri, but it tasted different, so the Aunt concludes that she ate the unpoisoned one.

However, the sommelier made an unpoisoned one, so shouldnt it have tasted the same?? I would be more worried if it tasted different....
Feb 24, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2011
Benjant meaning vengeance. Then Children of the forest and birds. That's weird but interesting.

Thought what really got my attention was how our two main characters are looking like a couple. Chika giving him lunch boxes everyday and then living alone together. The parents must either trust them or ship them or both.
Feb 24, 2016 11:53 AM

Sep 2010
When Benjant was first shown sprinkling salt onto the onigiri, my thoughts automatically went to "Poison!".

The mystery was easy to solve this time. D=

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Feb 24, 2016 11:56 AM

Jan 2012
ShiningNinja said:
Can someone explain to me in idiot-terms what this week's onigiri plot was about?

So somehow, the sommelier managed to perfectly recreate the onigiri, but it tasted different, so the Aunt concludes that she ate the unpoisoned one.

However, the sommelier made an unpoisoned one, so shouldnt it have tasted the same?? I would be more worried if it tasted different....

Her first love was feeding the poisoned ones to the children of the forest, but not her as she was innocent. That's why he freak attacked and kicked her out the one time she got a hold of and tried a poison one while he was away, to protect her. She figured this out because the non-poisoned one the Sommelier made tasted different from the poisoned one she ate by chance that one time.
Feb 24, 2016 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
I'm laughing, that was so weird. Poison onigiri furry drama definitely wasn't what I expected to see today.
Feb 24, 2016 1:14 PM

Sep 2014
I didn't enjoy this episode at all, but at least it was creative.
Feb 24, 2016 1:36 PM
Feb 2008
animefan8800 said:
ShiningNinja said:

Her first love was feeding the poisoned ones to the children of the forest, but not her as she was innocent. That's why he freak attacked and kicked her out the one time she got a hold of and tried a poison one while he was away, to protect her. She figured this out because the non-poisoned one the Sommelier made tasted different from the poisoned one she ate by chance that one time.

ooh, okay, so SHE DID eat a poisoned one, but as she only took a small bite to taste, it wasn't enough to give her long term health problems/death like the others. She wasn't as so much concerned about dying, but it was more of his intentions. Him freaking out out of concern makes a lot more sense sense now, thank you.
Feb 24, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2015
The mystery that he poisoned them all seemed really obvious. Any more obvious would be a jar with a picture of skull and bones next to the onigiri. Kinda wish they made it more difficult to solve.
But the thing that was strange was the "Children of the Woods". What did that mean? The thing I got from it was that the mammals held the children -"birds"- and the aunt either hostage or as slaves and Benjant was one of the culprits so he ended their lives since he started feeling guilty. I feel as what I think might be completely wrong though...
Rolling around at the speed of clumsy ⊿◉»»
Got places to go, gotta follow my bad luck ◕»» ☛✗
Feb 24, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2015
First love sommelier. A good job I think.
A love Story about an onigiri. Nothingmore to say. Nice chapter.
I am Argentine, so is not very good my English, sorry for the many typing errors.

Feb 24, 2016 2:41 PM

May 2015
Kinda weird episode this week. But well, still enjoyed it. Glad it got resolved in the end.

Feb 24, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
This one wasn't that bad but REALLY weird.
Feb 24, 2016 3:38 PM

Apr 2015
Pretty unusual scenario this time, although the point flew way past me. Alright episode.
Feb 24, 2016 3:54 PM

Feb 2014
Dang. Looks like Benjant couldn't bear the guilt...
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Feb 24, 2016 5:09 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well it was creative I can give them that. But was was boring and weird.

2/5
Feb 24, 2016 7:48 PM

May 2014
This show is so, so confused. It's trying to smash romantic rivalry and a band club and these fantastical mysteries that don't have enough motivation to be believable all together in 20 minutes. Its attempts at comedy fall flat, the relationships between characters are way underdeveloped, Haruta's some kind of psychic, and the pair just don't have any good reason to go nosing into these situations. The mystery for this episode eventually fell back on a "haha, that's weird, right?" allegory without ever being explained, so I'm not convinced the writers have any idea what was really going on there. Cheap, poorly constructed mystery with absolutely no payoff when it's "solved." Getting major Glasslip vibes from this series.
Feb 24, 2016 8:36 PM

Oct 2011
Serizawa got her development episode YAY

Her aunt will live longer to be with Serizawa T_T
Feb 24, 2016 9:58 PM

Jun 2012
Rocksterrock said:

Underrated post right here.
Feb 24, 2016 10:29 PM

Nov 2012
this was one weird episode. not sure why the "children of the forest" (whatever those stand for) were portrayed as animals but okay.
Feb 24, 2016 11:17 PM

Oct 2015
Rocksterrock said:

OT: I like how Serizawa got some development this episode, but holy hell, this episode was bizarre. Why is Benjant a bear. Why are there humanoid animals in the first place?
Feb 25, 2016 12:38 AM

Aug 2009
I must have looked away for a second, because this high school music show somehow turned in to an anthropomorphized horror in the deep forest. Interesting way to tell a story, and categorize people without clearly giving away their motives. Crazy twist though - take not Mr. Shyamalan!

Does anyone else think this whole mystery got labeled resolved in the middle of it? He murdered a bunch of people and that's the end of it! No worries, that's all the closure we needed, right?

This is not a good way to practice your music! But keep at it...
Feb 25, 2016 1:59 AM

Oct 2008
Though I kinda got the gist of the mystery, wasn't an enjoyable episode. The first love sommelier is a jerk using that as a research topic even if he ultimately helped the aunt.

Show needs more fun interaction between Haruta and Chika.
Feb 25, 2016 3:03 AM

Jan 2011
silverwalls said:
this was one weird episode. not sure why the "children of the forest" (whatever those stand for) were portrayed as animals but okay.
Well there was the mention of Miyazawa Kenji, who did the same thing in some of his works, so I guess there's some connection.
Feb 25, 2016 3:40 AM

Feb 2014
Three things I got from this episode: When the aunt was young she was surrounded by animals who wear clothes for unknown reasons. Her first love is a bear. She got banished because she ate the bear's onigiri. Okay.
Feb 25, 2016 8:09 AM

Jul 2012
It was really a weird episode and the story was so random. Don't really know what to think about the show, just go with the flow i guess.
Feb 25, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2014
Well, that was......weird, but interesting at the very least.

Either way, the aunt's problems were thankfully resolved and that she hasn't had any bad side effects from eating the poison onigiri from the past is a good thing. =)

Although the interactions between Haruta and Chika were light this time, it was still good, with Chika bringing a bento box for Haruta, I'm not sure they're realising it yet, but they're acting more like a married couple to me! ^_^
Feb 25, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2011
I was there was more clarity to this episode as well. Like how they resolved the war veteran episode. I feel like the Children of the Forest could have been some kind of guerrilla group hiding out in the forest. And maybe the birds are people they've captured in the woods or hostages for whatever they want.
Feb 25, 2016 12:12 PM

Mar 2008
The children of the forest is a metaphor of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Red_Army
Feb 25, 2016 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
well that was weird
Feb 25, 2016 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
I think Serizawa will join sooner or later.
Good episode, kept me interested through that whole ordeal.
Feb 25, 2016 3:36 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
The first episode i really liked. Though a bit rushed, like the others, I thought it was very creative.
Feb 25, 2016 7:35 PM

Oct 2008
Thought I should kind of add futher input -

As Haruta said the children of the forest is a metaphor. It is really free for interpretation what kind of organisation it could have been, but here is just one of the possible explanations to explain the elements in the story. You can apply it to any other organisation such as gangs or the army that one of the above users pointed out.

Since her aunt stated it was during her university years, we could presume this to be a student activist group of sorts. She chanced upon Benjant when he was speaking to the members of the group. Later on as the main members of the group gained authority they started to abuse it and became violent (see how they treated Benjant). During the course of all this they might have injured/killed someone close to Benjant, or because they had turned on Benjant's original intentions for the movement, he wanted to take revenge. But for the "birds", the ones who participated noncommittally and left as and when they wanted, he would spare them since they were not at fault. So he began to put poison in their food. (Also plausible is that it wasn't poison; they had all been taking drugs and eventually Benjant intentionally put an overdosage to kill them, which is why Naoko's aunt doesn't seem to have suffered effects. The overdosage was after she was forced out of the group.)

As to why using a metaphor was necessary, it was probably to conceal the motives of people involved so we can view the story of her first love without having our perceptions clouded.
Feb 26, 2016 1:28 AM

Oct 2015
This is not a bad anime but please, just stop this episodic, formulaic story! It's becoming so boring and repititive. They introduce a new character every week and focus on that character for the episode and the just almost completely forget about the character in the succeeding episodes.
I wish it wouldn't do this.

What is with the humanoid animals? o_O
That was a rather interesting episode with the First Love Sommelier club or person. It thought they said he was bad but he seems to have turned out a good person. I must've missed something.
Feb 26, 2016 7:43 AM

Oct 2014
If you don't understand: This episode is okay, I guess.

If you understand what this episode is about:
Best episode of this anime so far. By miles. Just gotta love the scenario. <3

had a long explanation of the whole metaphor, but somebody summed it up perfectly. Feel the need to bring it back.
dragonshade said:
The children of the forest is a metaphor of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Red_Army

ps.:
And, oh yes, onigiri is also a metaphor of family.
Means Benjant & Purastello were serious with each other.
Revvie-chanFeb 26, 2016 8:13 AM
Feb 26, 2016 9:29 AM

Jun 2015
Nice bonding between the girls. :3
HijaziMar 1, 2016 1:37 AM
Feb 26, 2016 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
What a bunch of bullcrap.
Feb 26, 2016 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
i generally dislike this show but it was atleast nice to have a story the blonde kid didn't spoonfeed to me... as much
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
Feb 26, 2016 9:38 PM

Dec 2010
Another great episode from what is one of the best shows of the season.

At first I thought they were going for a metaphor about rape, and the effects of it, and her aunt coming to terms with her rapist. Who she thought she "loved". But they went with a simpler metaphor and story, and it still turned out to be interesting all the way to the end.

This show is just a joy to watch, and that continued with this episode!
Feb 27, 2016 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
So basically the girl left Tokyo, wound up in the NGL, and met a bunch of chimera ants. I hope I wasn't the only one who thought of something like this xD

Weird episode, but still kinda unengaging. Better than most of the other ones, but still very boring for the most part. Chika was very enjoyable this episode at least.
Feb 27, 2016 2:46 AM

Mar 2014
Ok

That was weird
dragonshade said:
Thanks for the explanation
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 28, 2016 4:24 AM

Jul 2009
Another boring episode...I still don't know why I decided to watch this, I guess it was because episodes 1 and 2 were ok...
Feb 28, 2016 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
Episode in the narrative level is run really bad, I could not follow the story easily, I do not know if it is my problem or the script or the director, the fact is that I did not like the way the episode. Level drawings short of what I was hoping, the only things that are liking it so far, are the soundtrack, the opening and the ending is different narrative setting. The characters are still work yourself to break through in my heart, what a pity!
Feb 28, 2016 9:37 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode! Favorite episodes, 3, 5, 6, and 8. ♥
Feb 29, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2015
This was weird but it was nice I liked it

Mar 2, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2010
So many metaphors... Okay, here's my interpretation of it.

So, we know that Serizawa's aunt ran away from her home. I suspect that she was kidnapped on the way along with some other people as well (hence why they are called "the birds") The male "birds" were trained to become part of the group, while the female ones might be in charge of cleaning etc. The reason they are called "birds" is, they never got any chance to take part in any bad activity. Even if they did, it must be something minor (or else, Benjant would poison their food, too)

Also, I suspect that their hideout was in some kind of forest, hence the jungle setting. As for her loved one, he was in charge of making food in that group. Whether or not, he took part in the actual kidnapping itself is left to reader's pov. Now, he wasn't actually a bad guy from the start, just got not enough motive to go against his group. But once, he me this college girl (whom he considers as "pure as a star") and got closer to her, he felt like protecting her. At the same time, his desire for revenge was rekindled. So, one day, he added poison in the gang's food (note - "onigiri" most likely stands for food here. I doubt they eat onigiri everyday. I assume onigiri made only on the day when he poisoned the meal) but refrained to poison the "birds" share of food ('cause he thought they deserved a second chance, unlike the rest of gang which had completely turned into "carnivorous animals" i.e. lost their humanity)

Rest is simple. Serizawa's aunt got curious, and felt like eating it (maybe she wanted an indirect kiss) but Benjant got mad, and refrained her from do so. Then somehow, she managed to find a clearing and let her escape. The gang is dead (along with Benjant, who might have felt like a traitor to his group, and committed suicide) but Seri's aunt didn't know about this (maybe she was sent far away from that place) Years pass, and she slowly forgets about it... Until she remembers it again after years.

I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Anyways, I just read the above explanations, and they make more sense. All in all, an interesting episode.
TragicRomanceMar 2, 2016 11:44 AM
Mar 2, 2016 6:18 PM

Oct 2008
Chika is unbelievably DUMB!
4/5.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.