Forum Settings
Forums

Anime/Manga List Design: End-of-Winter 2016| REGISTRATION

New
Feb 11, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2010
This post is one of my Achievements and contests topics.

We're holding a Winter 2016 list design contest, and all are invited to participate! Anyone can enter and has a chance to win.

Update: Your entries will not be affected by the recent list update. So continue using the classic design: http://myanimelist.net/ownlist/style

Using the new style is not allowed until the next contest to prevent any problems down the line with voting (as the new HTML changes frequently).

Classic design will still be in effect until at least April 15th, which is when I plan to end the contest.

New to CSS list design? Don't worry! You can start with my simple CSS tutorial to style your list layout.
Not good at coding? We also provide premade layouts for you to use as a base and focus primarily on the image/color designs, rather than code.

How to Enter
Post in this topic before March 31, specifying which list design(s) you would like to enter:
a) anime list; b) manga list; c) both list designs.

You don't need to have your list design ready when you post!
Until March 31, you are free to modify your list design, or edit your post changing your registration.

Make sure you read the rules and guidelines below, to ensure your list design qualifies for this contest.

Rules and Guidelines
1. Each user can enter 1-2 list designs, using either their anime list, manga list, or both.

2. You can either code a layout from scratch, or you can use a pre-made list layout (a layout previously made by yourself or someone else) as the base of your design. However, if you're using a premade layout, you must change all images and the colour palette used on the layout; otherwise, your design may be disqualified.

3. You cannot use a private layout that someone else has made as your entry or as the base of you entry; i.e. no stealing.

4. You cannot use a layout you created before the contest. This contest is for new list designs! You can, however, use an old layout as the base for the new one (see rule 2).

5. Your list designs must be available for public view by March 31. If your list entry is still set to private on that date, it will be disqualified.

6. Only classic styles are allowed. Using the new style (called modern under http://myanimelist.net/ownlist/style) is not allowed for now to prevent any problems down the line with voting, as the new HTML changes frequently.

How to Win
By entering, you are eligible to win any (or even all) of these categories.
Member's Favorite · A category where a popular vote will determine all user's favorite list design of the winter season. A voting thread will be opened later which all users are encouraged to vote in. Winner to be selected by MAL member's votes.

Best Imagery · The list design with the best choice of images will win this category. Maybe you're not good at coding, but know how to pick good anime images for a layout and display them well? Then this is a category you definitely have a shot at! Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Table and Menu Design · Are you really good at making lovely tables and menus? Then this is a category for you to try and win! Show us your best table design. Winner to be selected by judges.

New: Best Top Bar Design · Top bar design is a whole skill in itself! If there are any customized top bars (MAL control strip), they will be eligible for this category. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most Creative Design · What layout is the most creative or brings cool new ideas to the art form? Here is a category for you coding experts to show off your most creative ideas. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most User-friendly Design · Many users find advanced designs too laggy or difficult to use, and prefer simpler or minimalist designs. We recognize designs made to be convenient with this essential category! Winner to be selected by judges.

Seasonal bonus: Best Romance-themed Design · As a special treat for this season's upcoming Valentine's and White Day holidays, you can try for this special bonus category. To qualify, your list design must have a romance theme somehow: an image of an anime couple, images from a romance/dating anime or manga, etc. Judges will determine if your list meets the romance-theme criteria. If judges feel there are less than two romance-themed designs, then the category will be void.

Judges are non-entrants who are well-respected CSS and design experts.

Frequently Asked Questions
Click the spoiler for answers to FAQs in list design contests:

Any other questions can be asked in this topic.

Need Help?
We want everyone to do the best they are capable of, so I'm providing some resources for you here:

Good Luck to All Participants!
Shishio-kunSep 5, 2016 1:57 AM
Feb 11, 2016 4:32 PM

Feb 2010
I will enter with a new anime list design if I can my main computer fixed in time - an ongoing struggle of incompatible parts, multiple screwhead fatalities, and my stubborn refusal to simply pay an expert to fix it!

If I can't enter, I will help judge.
Shishio-kunFeb 11, 2016 5:07 PM
Feb 11, 2016 7:01 PM

Jan 2014
Count me in. I'll make a manga list for sure. Depending on how I feel I might make an anime list as well so that I have more chance of winning stuff :P

edit: Didnt get to it, so dont count me in xd
semperdickusApr 2, 2016 3:03 PM
Feb 11, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2009
I really want to enter but I'm not sure if I would be able to cause I will be a lot busy in the next up coming month.

Edit: I will enter both my anime and manga list.
Takana_no_HanaMar 29, 2016 12:10 AM
Feb 12, 2016 6:24 AM

Sep 2010
I'll join
Feb 12, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2015
I'll try to enter, but I've been really busy this month.
Shishio-kun said:
an ongoing struggle of incompatible parts, multiple screwhead fatalities, and my stubborn refusal to simply pay an expert to fix it!

What parts are incompatible? I'm guessing the motherboard is involved in your problems
Feb 12, 2016 2:27 PM

Feb 2010
ryukan said:
@shishio-kun
i'd love to enter but um i have a question. does the layout have to be winter themed or it's up to me whatever i want to make? d:

No special theme is required to enter, just make sure you read and understand rules 1-5. This is very important.

@FromZeroToZero
I'll answer you in my club comments, so this thread doesn't go all off-topic (just in case)
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19736
Feb 18, 2016 2:29 PM

Feb 2010
Ok, I've gotten an enormous amount of feedback that people are discouraged and hesitant to enter the contest because they don't know if the "old" CSS will still be around before the contest ends, as brought up here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1482719

I've been trying to find out when the planned change happens and will let you all know here; this will probably be the last contest with the old HTML too...
Feb 21, 2016 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
I'll try to give this ago. I might be pretty busy between now and then, but I'll do an anime list if I have time.
Feb 21, 2016 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
I'd like to give it a try but I don't want to make other participants upset. OH! OH! OH! There are good designers on MAL, feel praised, @semperdickus & @Tsiox.

Sure, I'll join. I submit my anime and manga lists.

I'd love to create something new, but I stopped all of my works until the new HTML structure of the list designs comes out.
removed-userFeb 21, 2016 7:12 AM
Feb 21, 2016 7:36 AM

Sep 2010
Recuvan said:
I'd like to give it a try but I don't want to make other participants upset. OH! OH! OH! There are good designers on MAL, feel praised, @semperdickus & @Tsiox.

I'd love to create something new, but I stopped all of my works until the new HTML structure of the list designs comes out.

You're gonna win for sure XD
Feb 21, 2016 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Tsiox said:
Recuvan said:

Bro, wait for the next year's competition as this time I don't really care about winning it if you want me to be honest ;).
Feb 21, 2016 8:00 AM

Sep 2010
Recuvan said:
Tsiox said:

Bro, wait for the next year's competition as this time I don't really care about winning it if you want me to be honest ;).

Ah yeah, I'm not done yet (I'm so lazy), I don't care about winning either XD

and it's pretty painful sometimes for me to have a 2560 x 1080 screen
Feb 21, 2016 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Tsiox said:
Recuvan said:

Ah, I used to have a 21:9 monitor, but I swapped with my cousin for a 16:9 one, he's more of a gamer type of person and I focus more on web design etc. BTW, doesn't CTRL+SHIFT+M help you with this problem?
Feb 21, 2016 1:26 PM

Feb 2010
@ppl concerned over the MAL list design update:

I've just received word that the classic design will still be up until at least April 15th. Keep in mind this is NOT the date when they will discontinue the classic deign.

So your entries will not suddenly be changed before then, and I guess that means this will be the last contest with the old HTML. I recommend using the classic HTML as it is sure to remain stable, I don't know about the currently live "new" list design.
Feb 24, 2016 6:00 AM

Jan 2012
I'm entering with my Anime and Manga lists
Feb 27, 2016 10:04 PM
Jul 2018
To follow up on what I said before, I will definitely be entering my anime list (here).
Feb 29, 2016 3:01 PM

Sep 2010
Recuvan said:
Tsiox said:

Ah, I used to have a 21:9 monitor, but I swapped with my cousin for a 16:9 one, he's more of a gamer type of person and I focus more on web design etc. BTW, doesn't CTRL+SHIFT+M help you with this problem?

I'm so used to this big screen so I would never change to a smaller, and I like to play games on this too. :^)
CTRL+SHIFT+M doesn't work for me for some reason.
Feb 29, 2016 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
Tsiox said:
Recuvan said:

I'm so used to this big screen so I would never change to a smaller, and I like to play games on this too. :^)

I mean, I have a 24" monitor so it's big enough for me ;p. And I guess I'm just used to this resolution.

CTRL+SHIFT+M works only on Firefox ;p
Mar 1, 2016 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Recuvan said:
Tsiox said:

I mean, I have a 24" monitor so it's big enough for me ;p. And I guess I'm just used to this resolution.

CTRL+SHIFT+M works only on Firefox ;p

If you want to use the mobile testing feature from Chrome, open up the devtools with F12 or Ctrl+Shift+I, then click the phone icon in the top left corner of the pane. Just throwing that out there.
Mar 5, 2016 7:28 PM

Feb 2014
I'll try to make something in time for the deadline--should be able to squeeze in some CSS'ing over the next couple of weeks. I've actually had some ideas to try for a while now, so I suppose this is a good opportunity!

Will be submitting my anime list when it's ready (current theme doesn't qualify as it was created months ago). I code name all my themes, so just to be clear, the current/old theme is 'Ghost' and the new one will be 'Setsuna'. Footer will say which is applied.

Edit: Theme is now far enough along that I've gone ahead and applied it to my anime list! There are still some things I'd like to tweak but may or may not have the time to do, so I'm willing to call this good enough if necessary.

Edit 2: Actually mostly achieved what I was hoping to! Theme is now finished for all practical purposes.
Lulech23Mar 15, 2016 6:01 PM
Mar 14, 2016 4:12 PM

Feb 2010
I've been told ppl have had problems customizing their list cuz of the Dropbox/MAL issue, and also exams, which can cut into someone's time by days to even weeks. So I may extend deadline for registration by a few days depending on how things look as we near the current deadline. I don't want entrants to get left out or not perform at their best over dumb shit they didn't have control over lol.
Mar 18, 2016 7:38 PM

Feb 2010
I'm aware of school and other troubles holding a couple people up, so registration extended till March 31st (I set aside alot of voting time in case from the start).
Mar 20, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2015
I have a question regarding rule 4.
I finished my latest design in February 3rd (So 1 week before the beginning of the contest) and the recent list update discouraged me from doing any change. Can I still enter in the contest with this design ?
CateinyaMar 20, 2016 4:28 PM
Mar 21, 2016 12:45 PM

Feb 2010
Cateinya said:
I finished my latest design in February 3rd (So 1 week before the beginning of the contest) and the recent list update discouraged me from doing any change. Can I still enter in the contest with this design ?

It would be considered made before this way, sorry. Can you change the background and character render tho? And at least a couple colors? You are good to go that way!

And if not, its so close, I'll ask about waiving you in anyways. It's MAL's rule but it has a good purpose tho in your case I think it would be fine to waive you in its not like you're entering a super old list or one you planned ahead for the contest months ago lol.
Mar 21, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2010
Argh and that damn recent list update! I've been told multiple times it discouraged ppl lol.
Mar 22, 2016 4:37 PM

Feb 2010
NenttLe said:
I`d like to participate with my current anime list. But I have a little problem: I made this list in the past but I did never show it anywhere on forums on MAL. I didn`t write any messages on forums as well. So maybe it can be countered as a new list and I can join?

Well yes since it is very new to everyone as you never post, I will waive you in for this case.

btw top bar is broken on our end, I think!
Mar 22, 2016 6:13 PM

Jul 2015
Gonna enter with my anime list
Mar 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Feb 2015
Shishio-kun said:
Cateinya said:

It would be considered made before this way, sorry. Can you change the background and character render tho? And at least a couple colors? You are good to go that way!

And if not, its so close, I'll ask about waiving you in anyways. It's MAL's rule but it has a good purpose tho in your case I think it would be fine to waive you in its not like you're entering a super old list or one you planned ahead for the contest months ago lol.

I did as you suggested. I changed the backgrounds and the renders of all the categories. I also changed a few colors to fit into spring theme. Should I change anything else or is it all good ?

Edit : It is now too late to make any change I think. So I'm submitting my anime list as it is now, do not validate my entry if I'm not elligible. Concerning the browser and the resolution, I would prefer Chrome as my best menu is made specifically for it, and the standard resolution (1920x1080) in order for the renders to be well scaled.
CateinyaApr 2, 2016 12:26 AM
Mar 23, 2016 7:11 PM

Jul 2013
ok so i managed to redesign my list. (again)

i hope this doesn't break any rules, if does, well, nothing i can do.
i gotta say this is based on @sunnysummerday's crayon theme for mal (the palette and styling). though the original design is mine (a screenie of it), i just heavily modified it to fit the crayon theme ._.
oh btw, i finished tweaking and published this just moments ago, worth noting because of the rules.

edit: i'm entering with my anime list.

here's a screenie~

nymphiaeMar 28, 2016 3:28 PM
Mar 26, 2016 1:57 PM

Oct 2008
I'd like to take a shot at this and entering with my anime list since this will be my first and last time for me with the classic design. I just made my design a few days ago and am still tweaking it to be ready by 31st. If I'm not eligible, let me know.
Mar 26, 2016 7:34 PM

Feb 2010
NenttLe said:
Shishio-kun said:

Well yes since it is very new to everyone as you never post, I will waive you in for this case.

btw top bar is broken on our end, I think!

Hmmm, its strange. Recently I checked my list from other PC and all was good. Can I ask for screenshot please?

The top bar is ok now, I think the import for it was dead temporarily.

nymphiae said:
ok so i managed to redesign my list. (again)

i hope this doesn't break any rules, if does, well, nothing i can do.
i gotta say this is based on @sunnysummerday's crayon theme for mal (the palette and styling). though the design is mine, i just heavily modified it to fit the crayon theme ._.
oh btw, i finished tweaking and published this just moments ago, worth noting because of the rules.

edit: i'm entering with my anime list.

here's a screenie~

Yes its fine, welcome to the comp! Lovely list design btw

Bunnie said:
I'd like to take a shot at this and entering with my anime list since this will be my first and last time for me with the classic design. I just made my design a few days ago and am still tweaking it to be ready by 31st. If I'm not eligible, let me know.

Wow what a cool top bar, welcome to the contest!
Mar 28, 2016 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
@all:

You can customize the new MAL style now (which is a bit worrysome for us using the old HTML) but I'm going to put a ban on using the new style for the contest since the new HTML changes a lot and we got our new designs for it wiped once already. If there's another wipe, it will too problematic for the contest down the line during voting. It's definitely possible since they're in a major transitional phase right now.

Everyone is using legacy/classic HTML anyways, so it shouldn't be an issue. You can use the new HTML next contest!

OH PLEASE and MAL do not end the old HTML early on, I was told it'd be up until at least April 15th it would fuck us all over if you changed it lol.
Shishio-kunMar 28, 2016 11:35 AM
Mar 29, 2016 7:00 PM

Feb 2010
@all: Please remember to have your lists ready for viewing on the 31st. I'll be taking screenshots after then then posting them in a vote thread on April 1 or 2.

btw you can still edit your lists anytime after that, even during voting. However, make sure they stay open (and not private) and please don't change the layout from the one you have on the 31st.
Mar 29, 2016 11:21 PM

Feb 2009
Great, i would like to enter my anime list for the contest.
Mar 30, 2016 4:39 AM
Jul 2018
i'd like to enter with my anime list.
Mar 30, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2013
entering with my animelist.

Apr 1, 2016 1:37 AM

Feb 2010
It's now April 1st all over the world, so no more registrants will be accepted.

I will be taking screenshots now. You guys can still edit your lists as long as you have them off private. Later if you don't like your screenshot you can submit me a new one!
Apr 2, 2016 1:16 PM

Feb 2010
@semperdickus: Your manga list is not eligible, tho I guess you couldn't get around to customizing it tho so thats why it is not customized

@recuvan: Your anime list is not eligible. It's the same color palette as when you released it before the contest. See rule #2. Your manga seems eligible tho, as its different imagery and color scheme from the original in your thread.

But if your manga list is also in violation, please let me know so I can disqualify it.

@Nymphiae, @ryukan: Your lists pass but I just want to be clear that even tho your lists are borrowing from the Crayon profile CSS design with the same color schemes, they are still created with original coding and not based on premade list layout. So if anyone is wondering, rule 2 doesn't apply to yours imo.

@NenttLe: As we discussed above, I've waived your list in since even tho its no new it meets the criteria of being a new list design to everyone, as MAL wanted with #rule 2.

@Kiokuzoku:
@Kenet:
@Bunnie:
@Doomcat55:
@Cateinya:
@LukeLC:
@Hahaido:
@Geo1088:
@Tsiox:
@Takana_no_Hana:
All your list designs check out fine!

@all: You can see your screenshots in the voting thread and if you don't like it you can submit a new one however it must be the same size and actually be your layout.

And please DO NOT rally whole groups or friends to vote for JUST YOU and friends in the voting part of the contest, that is turning the member's favorite into a popularity contest and will result in disqualification.
Apr 2, 2016 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
@Shishio-kun, I disqualify myself (if I'm allowed to do that kek), got no time for that anymore, good luck everyone!
Apr 2, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2010
Recuvan said:
@Shishio-kun, I disqualify myself (if I'm allowed to do that kek), got no time for that anymore, good luck everyone!

Yeah I can disqualify your manga list too if you're saying its in violation, thanks for being honest
Apr 2, 2016 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
Shishio-kun said:
Recuvan said:

Yeah I can disqualify your manga list too if you're saying its in violation, thanks for being honest

I just changed the background in my manga list design but I'm saying that I don't want to participate in the event anymore as I got no time for that :/
Apr 2, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2010
Recuvan said:
Shishio-kun said:

I just changed the background in my manga list design but I'm saying that I don't want to participate in the event anymore as I got no time for that :/

Well you didn't have to do anything else, voting is started and registration is over. I don't think anything is posted in the OP saying you have to do anything else either. Sorry to see you go tho.
Apr 2, 2016 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
@Nymphiae:
@ryukan:
@NenttLe:
@Kiokuzoku:
@Kenet:
@Bunnie:
@Doomcat55:
@Cateinya:
@LukeLC:
@Hahaido:
@Geo1088:
@Tsiox:
@Takana_no_Hana:

Also remember! You can still edit your lists during the voting time! This is VERY important in case ppl point out bugs to you. Just keep the same theme and keep it on public viewing. I want everyone to be at their best, good luck to all of us btw
Apr 3, 2016 4:27 AM

Apr 2013
@Shishio-kun about voting thread, i thinks my name should be "Kiokuzoku" not Kiokozoku ;-;
Kioku a japanese translation of memories :^)

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (April 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - May 3

5 by Bunnyama »»
May 8, 10:11 AM

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Winners

Nate - May 1

9 by Bunnyama »»
May 4, 6:59 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (May 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - May 3

0 by KarenShirotori »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

23 by Nate »»
Apr 30, 12:42 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Apr 29, 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.