Forum Settings
Forums

Why is horror the only genre in anime that seems so rare?

New
Feb 10, 2016 8:34 PM

Mar 2008
There is only a small handful of horror anime out there. Why is this when all the other genres are pretty strong? I find this quite odd considering how Japan makes some nice horror films and there is a decent mount of horror manga out there.

Can you think of any other genres that are as rare or rarer in anime?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 2016 8:36 PM

Jun 2013
Because it's probably the worst genre for anime. Every "horror" anime is trash and not scary anyways.
Feb 10, 2016 8:37 PM

Mar 2015
main reason is this two:
> cencorship
> rarely sell well

so yes, if you are really go to horror genre, go with manga.

rare genre? you can look it by your self.
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 10, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2014
Bioshocked said:
Because it's probably the worst genre for anime. Every "horror" anime is trash and not scary anyways.

FACTS

But seriously though have you seen corpse party

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Feb 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
The genre dementia feels pretty rare. The few I've seen or heard about have been interesting though. As for horror anime its never been something I've been very fond of, mostly because I really cant stand gory anime. I like the psychological horrors, but those usually get classified as psychological or thrillers.
Feb 10, 2016 8:41 PM

Mar 2008
Dawn said:
The genre dementia feels pretty rare. The few I've seen or heard about have been interesting though. As for horror anime its never been something I've been very fond of, mostly because I really cant stand gory anime. I like the psychological horrors, but those usually get classified as psychological or thrillers.

What even is a dementia anime? I've heard the term before. Is it a subgenre of psychological?

Bioshocked said:

Yeah its not really scary but it can be creepy or interesting to have horror themes when done well.

Kuma said:
main reason is this two:
> cencorship
> rarely sell well

so yes, if you are really go to horror genre, go with manga.

rare genre? you can look it by your self.
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php

Maybe I should say rare for it to actually be applied well then.
Feb 10, 2016 8:45 PM
Oct 2014
traed said:

Have you seen the Josei genre?, i think there are only, like, 30 something Josei anime listed
Feb 10, 2016 8:46 PM

Nov 2015
I don't know, but it sucks. All horror is now is gore and killing for shock value , not plot or actual terror/fear. Gone are the days when anime legitimately creeped me out with it's horror genres .
Feb 10, 2016 8:47 PM

Mar 2015
FCT77 said:
traed said:

Have you seen the Josei genre?, i think there are only, like, 30 something Josei anime listed
josei is demographic, not genre.
Dawn said:
The genre dementia feels pretty rare. The few I've seen or heard about have been interesting though.
dementia is too deep for everyone.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 10, 2016 8:48 PM

Nov 2015
FCT77 said:
traed said:

I can understand why though. I 'fit' the Josei category to a T and any that I've watched I can't stand. I'm not a lonely housewife .
Feb 10, 2016 8:49 PM

Aug 2008
The only genre horror anime I like is Ghost Hunt. Yami Shibai season 1 is pretty good too.

@traed

WOW! Someone who actually join this forum earlier than me. In AD, most posters these days actually join MAL much more later than me. I thought I would never see someone who join MAL earlier than me to be in AD. What a rare sight.
ZapredonFeb 11, 2016 7:54 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 10, 2016 8:50 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Probably because they feel animated horrors don't feel scary at all, at least less scary than real horror shows.

To be honest horror anime aren't that scary to watch.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥

Jul 2014
Because Anime is on TV and it's a medium that airs during the day for the majority and has mostly young kids watching it depending on what it is so why would anybody make a horror show when they know it won't get viewership when theres much more enjoyable shows in other genres airing.

So yeah, don't get viewership, don't sell well, mostly the reason.
ZjjFeb 10, 2016 8:54 PM

Jun 2014
traed said:
Dawn said:

What even is a dementia anime? I've heard the term before. Is it a subgenre of psychological?
Actually kinda, from my experience its psychological type anime where a characters mental state declines and usually a lot of weird stuff happens like with Serial Experiments Lain. Maybe I didnt explain it well since honestly I'm not completely sure of what it means either.

According to MAL its "Anime that have mind-twisting plots." whatever that means.
Feb 10, 2016 8:51 PM

Sep 2012
Because angry nerds won't buy your shit if you kill off their favorite harem girl.
Feb 10, 2016 8:51 PM

Oct 2015
it doesn't have a big demographic in the anime medium and I can't totally back my claim but feel like most horror anime are heavily reliant on shock value or/and gore but I didn't watch that many tbh

As a matter of fact I might pick up a good horror anime tonight
Feb 10, 2016 8:52 PM

Jun 2012
This season: Ajin, Yami Shibai
Last season: Kowabon, Kagewani
Season before that: Gakkougurashi!

It's not rare at all. It's just that they all suck and go unnoticed.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 10, 2016 8:55 PM
Oct 2014
Kuma said:
FCT77 said:

Dawn said:
The genre dementia feels pretty rare. The few I've seen or heard about have been interesting though.

Its listed as a genre and i think it acts as one too, every "demographic" as their ways of doing something and their singularities.
Anyways, it normal, if it sells, its produced, if not, its not produced. And i think that Japan is not good at making horror things anyways (there are exeptions)
Feb 10, 2016 8:55 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty much censorship like others said. Though Higurashi is the only "horror" I have seen that I would considered good(Maybe Gakkou Gurashi cause it is consider as horror, but not really imo). I might say Hellsing, but I haven't seen it yet.
Feb 10, 2016 8:57 PM

Nov 2015
Ugh, Kowabon was so bad. I tried so hard to get into it, could have been scarier. I was excited about the rotoscope too .
Feb 10, 2016 9:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
1. no one wants to see cute/hot characters die

2. they'll air censored

idk why people are saying "they aren't scary"

as if its possible for an animated characters death to be "scary" lol i can't picture myself as a fictional character, so i can't find a horror anime character
Feb 10, 2016 9:00 PM

Apr 2014
It doesn't have the moe that both Japanese and western audiences love.
And even with something like Gakkou Gurashi which is a hybrid, it'll still sell really sub par.

Also, horror anime isn't meant to scare you, it's different from the film definition. It's more like an anime that seeks to set more of an intimidating atmosphere more than anything else. But then it's weird because anime like Shiki and Ghost Hound aren't considered horrors here and in most other databases.
Feb 10, 2016 9:04 PM

Jan 2015
Probably because horror anime are just bad. Most are just over-the-top gore fests with crazy deaths. If they focused more on fear, then maybe it'll actually work.
Feb 10, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2015
Drawn animations have a hard time being as spooky as what make up + special effects can do in live action films. Seeing a cartoon zombie approach on the screen just doesn't have the same effect as a real actor dressed as a zombie approaching. Idk, personally I find horror pictures and screamers scary only if I can tell that they could be real. But when I look at a spooky picture that is drawn and/or animated, I'm aware that it's not real so it doesn't disturb me that much.

I'm not saying anime can't be creepy or menacing, as it totally can be like in Higurashi and Shinsekai Yori. But I just can't imagine myself being frightened by Japanese cartoons. At best, some Junji Ito's manga drawings can haunt me for a few hours, but that's it.

I have noticed that the Japanese don't use similar techniques in their horror as Western directors do. They seem to use jumpscares quite rarely. They can be very graphic with body horror and gore though, but that's just not something everyone's afraid of.
Feb 10, 2016 9:08 PM

Dec 2014
Protaku said:
It doesn't have the moe that both Japanese and western audiences love.
And even with something like Gakkou Gurashi which is a hybrid, it'll still sell really sub par.
Don't remind me of the Gakkou Gurashi sales. ;_;
Feb 10, 2016 9:08 PM

Mar 2015
FCT77 said:
Kuma said:

Its listed as a genre and i think it acts as one too, every "demographic" as their ways of doing something and their singularities.
TBH, i don't find any singularities between current season showa ganroku rakugou shinju, usagi drop, and shirokuma cafe. demographic should not generelize at one just like any other demographic. thou i would admit they sharing some tropes. but that's it. and it's not even have universal similiarities then lets said action or advanture or mecha.
Feb 10, 2016 9:20 PM

Sep 2013
The should adapt the fairly popular horror manga/novels out there like mahou shoujo of the end, they already got a fanbase on their own so an anime won't be a huge risk.
Feb 10, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2008
@Zapredon I usually am in CD more but I pop in and out of AD and MG.

@Dawn hm I see.

@Red_Keys if I had the chance to make an anime I will kill all the best girls.
Feb 10, 2016 9:32 PM
Oct 2014
Kuma said:
FCT77 said:

TBH, i don't find any singularities between current season showa ganroku rakugou shinju, usagi drop, and shirokuma cafe. demographic should not generelize at one just like any other demographic. thou i would admit they sharing some tropes. but that's it. and it's not even have universal similiarities then lets said action or advanture or mecha.

Maybe singularities wasnt the best word i could have thought but, Shirokuma cafe and Usagi Drop are both centred in Slice of Life. Most of them are or SoL or Romance anime or a mix of both, but i think that´s because the unexplored the genre is.
Feb 11, 2016 12:14 AM

May 2009
Censorship is probably one thing, bad adaptations are another, and I even think it's hard to make animation look truly scary. Creepy, but not scary.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 2:35 AM

Jan 2016
Horror through animation is not convincing enough. You always know at the back of your mind that it is fiction(so why would such a show invoke terror or fear from you?).

You really can't pull off a horror animation that easily. That's why I greatly appreciate the first Higurashi series. It pulled that off without relying to the conventional (live action) horror tropes.
Feb 11, 2016 2:37 AM

Sep 2015
A lot of the time it gets censored out or decides to go OTT on gore instead.
Neither makes for a compelling horror story.

The only anime that I've ever felt suspenseful about was the first season of Higurashi, and I doubt that even classes as horror.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 11, 2016 2:40 AM

Apr 2013
They don't have a market, simple as that. Why adapt a horror manga which won't sell shit when almost anything else will likely be more profitable?

Red_Keys said:
Because angry nerds won't buy your shit if you kill off their favorite harem girl.
Yeah, basically this.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 11, 2016 2:43 AM
May 2009
I remember some being great when I was a kid.
The one about the Traditional Japanese Doll that was cursed.

But Horror series break the flow, when they are episode by episode.

OVA's for this was great, but again low in demand.
Feb 11, 2016 2:45 AM

Sep 2014
It is hard to animate things that are scary even though they should look scary.
Feb 11, 2016 2:48 AM

Jan 2016
ItsMaz said:

The only anime that I've ever felt suspenseful about was the first season of Higurashi, and I doubt that even classes as horror.

Any show that invokes the feeling of fear or terror is horror.

even that creepy pervading fear of the unknown... which Higurashi sure gives you..
Feb 11, 2016 3:00 AM

Sep 2015
CapitalistGod said:
ItsMaz said:

Any show that invokes the feeling of fear or terror is horror.

even that creepy pervading fear of the unknown... which Higurashi sure gives you..

Ah fair enough. Wasn't too sure about the exact definitions of it; was thinking it would be more psychological and gore than horror.
Although I suppose psychological is quite mixed with horror anyway.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 11, 2016 4:21 AM

Oct 2013
Horror series with drama, mystery, psychological themes in it are the best type of horror series IMO. Wrong turn is one of the worst horror series I've ever laid my eye on, the series is more of a parody than anything else.
Feb 11, 2016 4:49 AM

Oct 2013
I would love to find an anime which gives me creeps because of the atmosphere instead of gore because wtf blood is not scary whatsoever.

Also good space anime are really rare :/ I love them tho.
Feb 11, 2016 4:57 AM
Mar 2014
It's hard to make a good horror with a anime style they just don't fit together.
Feb 11, 2016 6:02 AM

Jul 2013
"Disturbing" is the only compliment that is closer to "scary" when judging horror anime.
Feb 11, 2016 6:04 AM

Jul 2015
horror in anime really suck
(despite being my favorite genre in movies)
Feb 11, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2015
FireBlitzFirefly said:
Itadakimasuuuu said:
All horror is now is gore and killing for shock value , not plot or actual terror/fear.

That's literally the definition of Horror though. Mindless gore, lack of plot. It aims for shock value... at least in western terms

I'd prefer not to get lumped into western ideals. And no, it's not 'literally' the definition.
Feb 11, 2016 7:00 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
traed said:

There's 341 shows tagged horror in MAL's database versus 36 josei, 51 shoujo ai, 69 cars, 82 thriller, 38 yaoi and 38 yuri. It's not as rare as you think.
Feb 11, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2015
It's hard to take something made for entertainment, turn it upside down and make it scare people. Something as fictional as anime can barely recreate the "real" horror we experience by watching films. The most we can get from horror anime series is the occasional jump scare or some weird, disturbing sound effects. The artstyle of almost all horror anime is more often than not lacking in conviction and makes the show look more like a parody of the horror genre rather than the real deal.
Feb 11, 2016 8:25 AM

Oct 2014
Because no horror anime will ever live up to the hype that was Ghost Stories.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Feb 11, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2008
traed said:
There is only a small handful of horror anime out there. Why is this when all the other genres are pretty strong? I find this quite odd considering how Japan makes some nice horror films and there is a decent mount of horror manga out there.

Because the extreme realism of a movie is much better for horryfing scenes.

For example if you put a hentai you can watch crazy sexual things like monsters fucking girls and girls throwing up liters of cum etc. Hentai can do that because it is not very realistic. If we forget the physical impossibilities of something like that can be made to look real it will just look disgusting instead of sexual like it looks in hentai.
That reality distance is what makes hentai anime possible but when it comes to horror that works against the anime gender.
For this reason i can also never agree with the lolicon=pedophile idea since i see a distance to reality and therefore i can't see how such is anymore true that FPS player=murderer.

Manga are similar but when you don't animate you can have more detailed art and give some horror feeling a little better. Also the black and white is good for horror and helps manga since color makes things less scary. That is why horror movies are dark with grim colors and children shows are full of colorful things.
Lastly manga has no movements and can even skip a little time etc from one panel to the other since it isn't obliged to show the movement exactly and that lets our imagination put movements etc in the scene and our imagination obviously puts what it will seem most creepy scary for us since it tries to indulge in our horror reading.
So that is why manga can be a little better than anime in this although still not as good as movies and books.
Feb 11, 2016 9:59 AM

May 2014
Whilst anime works really well for a lot of other genres, I don't feel like it can always grasp the right atmosphere to pull off horror well without it either coming off as forced or pretty corny. Another had potential as a series but it just felt a bit too forced at times- as if it was trying too hard to scare- I guess it's difficult to pull off the right tone and only a few anime can actually be considered scary.

Tbh I think psychological thrillers are the equivalent of horror in the anime world since they're usually executed a lot better than your typical slasher horror and can be quite unsettling in their own way. What's more terrifying than the human mind, right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not sure I know what horror is after reading through some of the posts in this thread. I thought Tokyo Ghoul counted as horror but maybe I'm wrong, it's pretty successful though if it does count. What about Gantz and TerraFormars, not sure if those count either but those are pretty popular.

If the definition of horror has "changed" then maybe there are more horror out there than we think.
removed-userFeb 11, 2016 10:31 AM
Feb 11, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2015
They should just make an adaptation of Saya No Uta .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do i have to put a show i ranked 10/10 in my favorites?

FarWalker - Apr 22

40 by bucciest »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

4 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 37 minutes ago

9 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

20 by luckyrune »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.