Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2015 2:18 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
OP and ED are good. Are the police always this dumb. Poor children. BGM definitely helps to add suspense. I kinda like this episodic structure.

4/5
Oct 14, 2015 2:25 PM

Nov 2014
Just how I like my mysteries. With no mystery, and some magic.
And the teenager is smarter and more experienced than the cop. Of course.
Oct 14, 2015 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
Irrelative said:
Just how I like my mysteries. With no mystery, and some magic.
And the teenager is smarter and more experienced than the cop. Of course.

To be fair with the cop he was taken by surprise with the first attack.
Oct 14, 2015 2:45 PM

Nov 2014
So this is going to be episodic... resembles to ranpo kittan from the previus season but with a bit more realistic plot. I like the fact that this time they focused on the case investigation part and deliver a bit a character development for sakurako.
Oct 14, 2015 2:47 PM

Feb 2015
VanishingKira said:
So Sakurako is just going to magically deduct everything each episode,making any suspense/thrill of the crime that happened nonexistent,hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick.

Far from the thrilling mystery anime I was hoping this would be.

So far this and Perfect Insider which were my most anticipated this season have been the most disappointing,though both are just in their beginning episodes so hopefully they'll improve.
I get what you are sayin but it is very solid so far
How long until season 3 of Spice and Wolf?
The World May Never Know.
Oct 14, 2015 3:08 PM

Jan 2014
Well, I had mixed feelings about the first episode, but this one was off the charts good, even if it didn't yet resolve any of the issues I had with the first episode.

It's pretty unusual and actually quite an amazing feat for an animated show to build up that much suspense in such a limited space.

I agree that the OP was bland, but I think the ED more than made up for that.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 14, 2015 3:18 PM

Feb 2014
This was nice! Felt a little fast but was pretty thrilling. Makes me hope for an arc that goes for like 2-3 episodes
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 14, 2015 3:19 PM
Mar 2012
This is not going to be a happy anime.

It looks like she's undergoing some kind of magical girl tranformation when she goes into Bones/Sherlock mode.
Not sure, these two things fit together.
Oct 14, 2015 3:19 PM

Feb 2013
Everything just came together a bit too conveniently. The part with the whole idea of the kid being abused seemed pointless since it had nothing to do with what had happened. Sakurako checking that kid's body as well seemed rather weird since there wasn't any reason to do so. The kid was unharmed so it just seemed like another opportunity to make her look smart was jumped on. The whole "let's solve the mystery" scene with the cgi skeletons just seems dumb and video-gamey. There was some un-subtle foreshadowing here hinting at some ham-handed drama down the line too.

Also, that stupid "cops are incapable bystanders who have no authority over the protagonists" trope reared it's head for what I'm willing to bet won't be the least time.

It wasn't as inane as the first episode at least.
Oct 14, 2015 3:57 PM

Aug 2013
danieltortoisee said:
Please don't tell me we'll see those stupid CG skeletons whenever Sakurako starts solving a mystery; once was fine, but seeing it more than that is already annoying. Other than that, a pretty solid episode, even if I thought the bit where she got the kid to show her the arm by talking about bones was pretty stupid. The OP's pretty good as well, but I'm still undecided on the ED.

Still hoping for slight improvement in this series going forward.

Jigoku Shoujo was far worse, I Remebered whole phrase in english and japanese after few episodes :P
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 14, 2015 4:09 PM

Sep 2014
One of the most intriguing anime for me this season, episode seemed to fly by because it keeps me interested.
Oct 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Aug 2015
Really liked this episode. OP and ending are both nice.
Oct 14, 2015 4:16 PM

Feb 2013
I'm expecting the episodic layout will continue, which is fine. We'll probably get a piece of Sakurako's past with each one, culminating in a 2 or 3 episode finale. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Oct 14, 2015 4:28 PM

Dec 2008
That skeleton and glove scene looks almost like an archetypal transformation sequence from the magical girl genre ;D

This episode is really good. If I were to complain about anything, then it'd be the anime sticking a bit too close to the Sherlockian outline (the general vibe of the episode along with the trio: the detective who will blow every mystery out of the water, the sidekick and an officer who, when needed, will go by "bulldog tenacity") not trying to find its own path. However, for the time being it's too early to judge.

VanishingKira said:
So Sakurako is just going to magically deduct everything each episode, making any suspense/thrill of the crime that happened nonexistent, hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick.

That's how full blown professionals operate. Your random citizen (starring oblivious, slow on the uptake officer) won't be able to keep up with.
Oct 14, 2015 4:48 PM

Jul 2014
Isn't the shounen's name Soutarou at least according to mal. Does he have amnesia or is he not who he was in the past? I feel like Soutarou isn't who he was in the past at least looking at the opening with how Sakurako has her arms out with the "don't go!" as well as in the episode but maybe that wasn't him, looked familar but with different hair color. Something must have happened with them in the past. Can't wait to see the past revealed.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, it just what I predict is going on so I am probably wrong but that's what I theorized when watching this episode. Correct me novel readers. Out of the episodes this fall, I found this Sakurako-san the most entertaining. OP and ED is nice, really like the ED though.

I remember reading a synopsis that he was the one engaged to Sakurako-san from anichart and that he likes to show her off. He doesn't seem to be doing that so is that synopsis wrong? Or was he engaged to Sakurako-san when they were young and he doesn't seem to remember?
Oct 14, 2015 4:53 PM

Feb 2013
totoroll said:
Correct me novel readers.
Any discussion of the LN beyond what is revealed in this episode will be removed. Just putting that out there for anyone not paying attention to the header in the OP.
Oct 14, 2015 4:56 PM

Feb 2013
desuminator said:

VanishingKira said:
So Sakurako is just going to magically deduct everything each episode, making any suspense/thrill of the crime that happened nonexistent, hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick.

That's how full blown professionals operate. Your random citizen (starring oblivious, slow on the uptake officer) won't be able to keep up with.

Something tells me that's not how full blown proffesionals operate. These are magical crime-solving spidey senses.
Oct 14, 2015 4:59 PM

Jul 2010
Well well, that was not bad at all you ask me.I'm guessing that Soutaro was Sakurako's younger brother or childhood friend who somehow died/was killed by maybe the guy with the black hat from opening? who might have been also standing in the crowd at the end, but we didn't see it since he already disappeared by then.Either way, in the opening we can see Sakurako sitting down while butterflies are flying around to her in front of the door, which she couldn't open after she seen Soutaro (?) from the window, and the ''drug'' addict was talking about butterflies and delivering something to ''him'' as well.
For now it's pretty good imo, nothing too special (yet?), but something i will keep on watching.
Oct 14, 2015 5:22 PM

Jul 2011
This feels like a dumbed down sherlock holmes.
I thought the girl was just a bones expert but apparently she is also an intuition god and together with the bruce lee kid they are better than the whole police force combined.

Really weak episodes, at this point it's just a good animation/ost sugarcoating a crappy story.
Oct 14, 2015 5:32 PM

Nov 2012
sH11k1 said:
This feels like a dumbed down sherlock holmes.
I thought the girl was just a bones expert but apparently she is also an intuition god and together with the bruce lee kid they are better than the whole police force combined.

Really weak episodes, at this point it's just a good animation/ost sugarcoating a crappy story.

It's sad but I have to agree with you.

Except for being good looking, the show is pretty bland, with bland characters and bland mystery. It's not awful, but not anywhere near what I expected when I read the synopsis
Oct 14, 2015 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
I just LOVE the atmosphere in this show. With this I made official that Mystery is by far my favorite anime genre.
Anyway, Sakurako's work deserves praising! She managed to solve everything and even save that poor baby. And shout-out to the police man who got stabbed for being so brave, and Shoutarou for stopping the psycho. Great episode.
Oct 14, 2015 6:14 PM

Aug 2012
Good interesting episode. OP and ED are great.

VanishingKira said:
hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick.

Same here.
Oct 14, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2015
I liked the opening mainly the music in this episode left some mysteries that apparently and what is going to '' walk '' seriously these Business butterflies and Shoutarou.
MANY MYSTERIES AHEAD
Oct 14, 2015 6:17 PM

Jan 2013
The executing was a little messy but still good. More violent then I thought. Japanese cops really not portrayed well in this show. An american cop would have shot at least a whole clip into that guy. At least tase him.
Oct 14, 2015 6:19 PM

Dec 2014
Positives:
+ Sakurako is still THE reason to watch the show. (She's fucking awesome, an odd girl interested in the skeletal structure and in the process of life and death)
+ Admittedly touching in a few areas
+ Realistic depiction of a child does deserve props.

Negatives:
- Why did Sakurako yell at Shrimp-boy (Which is what I'll call him because I forgot his real name) for knocking the killer out? If he didn't do that, he would've likely DIED.
- Shrimp-boy's still bland as fuck
- Shock value for the sake of shock value. Though in this type of situation, I could understand a bit.

I am enjoying this more than both Comet Lucifer and Concrete Revolutio right now, but whether or not it will continue to at least be fun to watch is unclear.
Oct 14, 2015 6:28 PM

Jun 2014
Idk why but I thought the examination of the girl's injured arm was kind of pointless since it didn't contribute much to the mystery, but whatever. I also hope we don't get an entire season of Sakurako solving cases like it's nothing, I want to see her struggle a little bit. We also got a little foreshadowing about something tragic happening in Sakurako's past.

I hope this series doesn't remain episodic for too much longer. I don't want it to be episodic for like 8 or 9 episodes and then all of a sudden a plot kicks in during the last 3 or 4 episodes, because then it will most likely be rushed. And like I said above, I would like to see Sakurako actually face a challenge when solving a case (maybe there will be a climactic mystery featuring an antagonist that outwits her). Still a decently interesting episode overall though.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 14, 2015 6:39 PM

Jun 2014
really good Opening and an excellent episode , much better case than last week
last week was a case that happened long ago so it lacked the tension that this one had . this case sure was sad but touching , that little girl was really cute and Shoutarou took of that drug addict guy like a fucking boss , definitely better than last week , now i'm just hoping that it won't just be full episodic or if it is i just hope that Sakurako will deal with recent cases and not old ones just like last episode it's more interesting that way
Oct 14, 2015 6:40 PM

Feb 2013
Yatorin said:
I liked the opening mainly the music in this episode left some mysteries that apparently and what is going to '' walk '' seriously these Business butterflies and Shoutarou.
MANY MYSTERIES AHEAD
Actually, it's funny you mention that. Butterflies have come up twice now. The sphenoid bone in the first episode and now the druggie blithering about butterflies.

Wonder if there's a pattern forming?
Oct 14, 2015 6:47 PM

Nov 2013
this episode was so sad, poor babies.:( i love the ed song<3
Oct 14, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
that was great. i wanna know more about that highschool girl, she is cute :3
Oct 14, 2015 7:43 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
llcruz said:
Ok OP song I guess, not my style but it's not bad.
There's probably going to be an overarching mystery. That crazy guy with the knife said he had to catch butterflies for "him". Might be related to the person that was in the crowd and left.

Yep, that's the point I was going to make if no one said it before me. It really makes me think there's a larger plot that this episode was just the introduction to.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 14, 2015 7:49 PM

May 2009
This is starting as a very solid anime, I already got some feels going. hope it will stay this way.
BLEACH 2021 LETS GOOO
Oct 14, 2015 7:59 PM

Jul 2015
Is it always going to have that magical girl transformation scene when she decides to solve the mystery? It's just a few seconds but it's just weirding me out a little lol

If anything, Sakurako must've gotten those godly intuition and forensics knowledge from her fiance (fast track to the prefectural police) and her uncle (forensics professor). Add her enthusiasm for bones and I wouldn't be surprised.

The police should just give her the job. At least she'll be making money for the future mysteries Soutarou is going to get her involved in.

Really intense ep though. Soutarou being a black-belter is a surprise as well. He's gotten more worth points than just being the pacifist lol

Oct 14, 2015 8:30 PM

Mar 2015
We got a nice police here... even though he's stupid, he's still likable than that shonen. He seems to be a regular too.

Not bad I guess this episode, we got a glimpse of Sakurako's past and probably it was about her little brother died or something. In the end Sakurako is probably gonna acknowledge that shonen as her brother.

Oct 14, 2015 8:51 PM

Nov 2011
Much better episode. Some semblance of an overarching plot with glimpses of Sakurako's past and the butterfly man. Seems promising. Still not feeling the characters though.
Oct 14, 2015 9:08 PM

Mar 2015
Solid episode. Better than the first.
Oct 14, 2015 10:02 PM

Jun 2015
now this.... This is a solid fucking anime. Aside from the art (which is beautiful by the way), this episode had an incredibly impressive amount small elements foreshadowing the conclusion of the crime.

I'm sure there's more that I missed too. What I really like so far is that the anime neither makes these things too obvious or too subtle, and instead finds a happy medium. The other interesting thing is that while this episode had a plot of it's own, there was also foreshadowing at the end of it regarding the possible relations of the two main characters. My guess is Sakurako had a traumatic experience in the past losing the person who's name she was calling out.
I fear this anime might be overlooked because of the sheer quantity of good anime this season. (I'm looking at you, OPM and Osomatsu-san). Either way I'm really liking it so far. 5/5 (would be a 9/10 or 4.5/5 but I'm rounding up.)
Oct 14, 2015 10:05 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty captivating episode this week. Was a step-up from last week for me. Sakurako seemed to reach the solution to this case somewhat easily, mainly from her established experience. I imagine we'll see some more difficult ones in the upcoming episodes that will take longer than one episode.

Also, I like the opening, especially the instrumental. That ending is quite great though!
Oct 14, 2015 10:06 PM
Jun 2015
I wonder whether if the episode will get linked somehow later in the future cases...like the man was talking abt some talking butterfly and they didn't explain his motives...

Edit:- and butterflies have been mentioned twice now, so...

Just like 2nd season's Moriarty's plans in Sherlock, I feel...overall, a good episode..
Oct 14, 2015 10:36 PM

Nov 2010
By this point you need to roll with how polices actively involving civilian in murder cases. I mean two of the most established detective anime are involving a genius detective teen who was drugged and reverted into a child, and a highscool boy happen to be a grandson of infamous detective involved in soo many murder cases.

Pretty good episode, although kinda rushed. I hope next time we will have a two ep case.
Oct 14, 2015 10:38 PM

Aug 2015
I want to like this show but right now it is pretty average for me. The art is really pretty except for Shoutarou who visually falls flat. Hopefully he will become a like-able character to make up for that though. He improved this ep. The ED was better than the OP for me, though her sitting naked on her bone pile was a bit strange. Going to keep going a bit longer with this one.
Oct 14, 2015 10:46 PM

Nov 2014
A bit overdramatic, but interesting.

4/5
Oct 14, 2015 11:11 PM

Nov 2011
It's cute that some people here think real-life, professional detectives can solve cases this easily, but that's generally not the case. For something closer to believable in the medium, I would recommend considering how Lunge handled the early murder cases in Monster (note: not a spoiler).

The borderline-supernatural ability to instantly solve cases, the bones magical-girl-esque transformation sequence, the complete lack of proper police procedure, and the general ineptitude of that police officer will make this show harder to enjoy if said tropes are recurring, as it seems they will be.

Even so, this was more interesting than the first episode due to the hints at Sakurako's past, as well as the minor development with the MC. The small amount of suspense that it was able to muster was nice as well. I agree with some of the previous posters that moving away from the episodic format to allow for longer mysteries could be an improvement as well.
TripleSRankOct 14, 2015 11:16 PM
Oct 14, 2015 11:24 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode, this plot is surprising me positively, the suspense is make me more anxious to see the development and the characters are proving very promising, addition to the cases, it appears that will arise relationship problems, I'm very look forward to continuing watching this anime ..
Oct 14, 2015 11:40 PM

Jul 2007
Another great episode.
Its great to see hints to Sakurako's back story and Shoutarou was actually pro-active and useful saving the day. Its nice to see a male MC who is not undershadowed by the female MC and can actually do stuff instead of either of them being useless to give spotlight for other. Anyone hating him now just hates male characters overall.

This also answers why Sakurako refused to call him by his name since it apparantly is very similar to the name of someone she knew in her past.

"A Story dedicated to those trapped in the past" seems to be quite common theme going by the op - all the characters have certain past memory or regret they are unable to let go, so I guess its the story of them slowly mending, with some occasional mystery along the way.

Jose07 said:

Is anyone else normal here? Would any of you actually bury the cat? I would of just throw him into the garbage pin...

WAT
WOW.
I feel sorry for the pets you had or would have.
Oct 15, 2015 12:52 AM

Aug 2008
Some plot conveniences felt a bit off considering this show seem to be going for a more realistic approach. They just happened to meet the classmate who happened to know the child. Not to mention the horrible cop who got himself stabbed like an idiot just to come later and still be useless, allowing MC to show his martial arts skill.

It would probably be quite easy to just gloss over it in another series but if you try to be serious, be serious. Don't mix murder like that with a comic relief cop or lucky coincidences.

And really, magic walking skeletons sequence in the first episode was enough. Don't make something like that with a stupid catchphrase a thing in every episode. It's basically a magic girl transformation that gets old the second time you see it...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 15, 2015 1:56 AM

Jun 2014
What an amazing episode! I'm loving how she figures out everything just by looking at the surroundings or the person.

I feel so bad for those two children having to grow up without a mother because of some druggie taking her life!

Really want to know Sakurako's backstory know after that flashback.

I'm really enjoying this anime!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 15, 2015 2:04 AM

May 2015
That was a great episode. This is like the anime version of Bones. I love it!
Oct 15, 2015 2:36 AM

Apr 2013
AOTS material for me. fantastic episode

Happy_Halloween said:
now this.... This is a solid fucking anime. Aside from the art (which is beautiful by the way), this episode had an incredibly impressive amount small elements foreshadowing the conclusion of the crime.
the blood in the shape of a hand on the girls back pack
the girl saying she jumped (out of a window)
the cut on the mothers hand
the girls fracture on her arm
the girls distrust of males but willingness to trust them if given food--- yet with a female figure she trusted her as soon as she was given a compliment
the feet shaped stains of blood on the chair next to the window the girl escaped out of
the baby bottle on the floor
the location and position of the mother on the floor (suggesting there was something underneath her)
the intruder's disoriented statements and discombobulated movements
the intruder's dilated pupils
the intruder's return to the crime scene

completely agree, i love it when i as a viewer can find all the important information/clues by paying attention and even piece it it together
xSanoxOct 15, 2015 2:42 AM
Oct 15, 2015 3:43 AM

Feb 2015

I'm curious about Sakurako's flashback. Like whether that kid was Shoutarou or someone else and whether he's related to her obsession with bones

Shoutarou had some nice moves. Good to know he's not completely useless.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2015

211 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2015

117 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2015

96 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2015

109 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2015

80 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 2:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.