Forum Settings
Forums

a more fine tuned banning system to allow some functions for some users

New
Aug 28, 2015 3:27 PM

Mar 2008
Usually the ban just makes it so a user can not log in. But is it possible to make it just so the ban prevents a user from certain functions of the site where they violated? Like ban the user from using the forums and making profile comments and sending private messages. Of course the full ban would exist for alt accounts and spambot accounts.

Update: this is the fine tuned banning im talking about
- banning users on specific boards (may be too specific)
- banning users from posting in forums
- banning users from posting reviews (for those who troll)
- removing specific users ratings from being included in rankings
- banning users from posting on profiles and messages (but allowing them to read their messages in their inbox and outbox)

Update2:
I want to be clear, I am NOT talking about shadow banning. The users should see a message letting them know they are banned from posting on certain parts of the site.
traedJun 19, 2023 12:17 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2015 3:34 PM

Nov 2010
I agree with the mods when this has come up before that if someone can't follow the rules on one part of the site they shouldn't be able to use any of it.
Aug 28, 2015 4:31 PM

Aug 2014
Well 9 times out of 10 people get banned for being silly on the forums. I got temp banned for a few days for being part of this derail of the shounen thread into F/SN. It was rather annoying not being able to update the list. I am kinda addicted to the fourms at this point so being banned from the forums alone is a huge punishment.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 28, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2014
I agree.

Banned users should still be able to update their lists.

Aug 28, 2015 4:39 PM

Mar 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
I agree with the mods when this has come up before that if someone can't follow the rules on one part of the site they shouldn't be able to use any of it.
But not able to update lists makes people more likely to make alt accounts.
Aug 28, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2010
traed said:
IntroverTurtle said:
But not able to update lists makes people more likely to make alt accounts.
Doubt that, I think wanting to cause more trouble and communicate on the forums/profiles is the number 1 leading reason people make alts. It's quite easy to keep track on notepad until you're unbanned, easier than making a new account and adding the correct anime and then going through it once unbanned to make sure it's mirrored.

And there's no need to compromise with them, then they'll just take the site rules more loosely because they can do what they want on the forum and still be able to use their list all they want.
Aug 28, 2015 4:56 PM
Mar 2014
No. Any use of the site is a privilege, and abuse of that privilege should get it completely taken away from you.

One solution is for users to try not to get banned in the first place.
vegetablespiritAug 28, 2015 4:59 PM
Aug 28, 2015 11:14 PM

Oct 2009
In fact you can still update your list while banned by using API, i.e. apps

IntroverTurtle said:
It's quite easy to keep track on notepad until you're unbanned, easier than making a new account and adding the correct anime and then going through it once unbanned to make sure it's mirrored.

You can just export/import, what's difficult about that?
SerhiykoAug 28, 2015 11:17 PM
Aug 29, 2015 12:54 AM

Jan 2009
i actually asked and suggested this same thing to Xinil and here is his answer

j0x said:

about your banning system can you improve it as well? if you are banned in the forums then just be banned in the forums and not the entire site, meaning a forum ban will still let the user edit and update his list for example

Xinil said:
Banning system is one of our must-upgrade features in the very near future. We have a team working on it now actually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxcq61

there are more AMA questions and answers here - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1415312
Aug 29, 2015 12:57 AM

Aug 2011
Or, ya know. They can follow the rules, not get banned at all, and use the site like everyone else.

Aug 29, 2015 1:00 AM

Jan 2009
reddits shadowban is a good example of this kind of system and its more forgiving than a full ban
Aug 29, 2015 2:32 AM

Jan 2008
Uhm... then what's the point of being banned if you can still use the site?
Aug 29, 2015 3:02 AM

Oct 2009
DmonHiro said:
Uhm... then what's the point of being banned if you can still use the site?

So that you don't shitpost any more
Aug 29, 2015 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
Agree with vodall. Someone who can't follow the rules shouldn't be able to make use of the site in any way, including list updating.
Don't want this? Simple, don't get banned.
Aug 29, 2015 9:17 AM

Mar 2013
I got banned out of the blue once so I support this. Banning people is such a stupid idea if you aren't a clear spambot or anything.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Aug 29, 2015 9:20 AM

Nov 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
I got banned out of the blue once so I support this. Banning people is such a stupid idea if you aren't a clear spambot or anything.
Then now I create many account and start to constantly harrass you on your profile. I'm not a spambot so they can't ban me.
Aug 29, 2015 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Serhiyko said:

IntroverTurtle said:
It's quite easy to keep track on notepad until you're unbanned, easier than making a new account and adding the correct anime and then going through it once unbanned to make sure it's mirrored.

Do you mean export original account and import to new, update anime as normal, then export back. Or just add needed anime on new account, then export it to old account and idk if it will just overwrite just those select anime.

Problem with the former is you don't always know when you get banned so unless you make a daily back up its mostly useless. The problem with the latter is there's a lot of deleting or updating to do on that account the next time you use it.
Aug 29, 2015 9:49 AM

Oct 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
Do you mean export original account and import to new, update anime as normal, then export back. Or just add needed anime on new account, then export it to old account and idk if it will just overwrite just those select anime.

The later. It will only overwrite the entries you explicitly tell it to (you have to change <update_on_import>0</update_on_import> to <update_on_import>1</update_on_import> for every single entry you want to import. All other entries will be left intact)

IntroverTurtle said:
Problem with the former is you don't always know when you get banned so unless you make a daily back up its mostly useless. The problem with the latter is there's a lot of deleting or updating to do on that account the next time you use it.

Once you are unbanned, you can just forget about the alt. In case you get banned again, you can create another account

Or... you can just use an app that will update your list with the API
Aug 29, 2015 11:24 AM

Apr 2010
banned = banned
don't want to lose the ability to update your list ?
=> don't do stuff that gets you banned
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Aug 29, 2015 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
SD_CV said:
banned = banned

I've never been banned, but here's the thing, not everyone that gets banned tries to.

Everything could be fine and dandy, and then one day, someone starts a big argument with you, and you tend to get worked up, and say something incredibly nasty to them that could get you banned.

I don't think you should be barred from updating your list just because you got into a heated argument with one individual.

Aug 29, 2015 11:41 AM

Apr 2015
I've heard of lots of stories of people being banned from unjust reasons, though I still don't think it would be fair to let them update their list.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Aug 29, 2015 12:09 PM

Jan 2008
Working_Designs said:
Everything could be fine and dandy, and then one day, someone starts a big argument with you, and you tend to get worked up, and say something incredibly nasty to them that could get you banned.

Then you DESERVE the ban. You said something incredibly nasty to them that could get you banned. So you get banned. Where's the injustice?
Aug 29, 2015 12:11 PM

Jun 2014
I'm scared of getting banned someday so I export my list just in case, I feel like list updating should still be allowed
Aug 29, 2015 12:12 PM

Jun 2014
DmonHiro said:
Working_Designs said:

Then you DESERVE the ban. You said something incredibly nasty to them that could get you banned. So you get banned. Where's the injustice?

Sorry, but I don't agree with that.

As a matter of fact, I've never agreed with anything you've said, ever.

Aug 29, 2015 12:15 PM

Jan 2008
Working_Designs said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. As a matter of fact, I've never agreed with anything you've said, ever.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. Saying something really nasty that can get you banned is, and had always been your fault. Nobody forces you so day something nasty. You let your anger get the better of you, and you deserve the consequences: the ban. That's how society works. I can call you a jackass to your face, but if you punch me, you're going to jail.

PS: Do you even know you?
Aug 29, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2014
DmonHiro said:
Working_Designs said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. As a matter of fact, I've never agreed with anything you've said, ever.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. Saying something really nasty that can get you banned is, and had always been your fault. Nobody forces you so day something nasty. You let your anger get the better of you, and you deserve the consequences: the ban. That's how society works. I can call you a jackass to your face, but if you punch me, you're going to jail.

PS: Do you even know you?

Nobody goes to jail for 'Punching" people where I live, sorry.

Some people are not as good at controlling their anger as others, so banning people for saying something nasty to just one person is ridiculous in my opinion.

You don't get kicked out of your parents house for saying nasty things to your family, so why should you be banned from an entire forum for saying something nasty to one user?

Aug 29, 2015 12:23 PM

Jan 2008
Because your parents never told you "If you say nasty things to one of us, you're out of the house". The forum, on the other hand, DID. The forum is not yours, it "belongs" to someone else, and if you don't follow their rules, you should get banned.

PS: I have no idea where you live, but in most of the civilized world, punching someone is considered assault, your you get arrested for it if the victim presses charges. Fair enough, you don't automatically go to jail, but you could.
Aug 29, 2015 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
DmonHiro said:
Because your parents never told you "If you say nasty things to one of us, you're out of the house". The forum, on the other hand, DID. The forum is not yours, it "belongs" to someone else, and if you don't follow their rules, you should get banned.

PS: I have no idea where you live, but in most of the civilized world, punching someone is considered assault, your you get arrested for it if the victim presses charges. Fair enough, you don't automatically go to jail, but you could.

You and I have different opinions on things, and that's all I'm going to say.

Aug 29, 2015 12:34 PM

Jan 2008
We do, but yours is mostly wrong. You're arguing that people who break the rules should still be allowed to use the site. Opinions differ, that's true, but there are wrong and right opinions.
Aug 29, 2015 12:36 PM

Jun 2014
DmonHiro said:
We do, but yours is mostly wrong. You're arguing that people who break the rules should still be allowed to use the site. Opinions differ, that's true, but there are wrong and right opinions.

I think your opinion is wrong as well, so you're not any better.

Aug 29, 2015 1:17 PM

Nov 2010
Working_Designs said:
SD_CV said:
banned = banned

I've never been banned, but here's the thing, not everyone that gets banned tries to.

I don't think you should be barred from updating your list just because you got into a heated argument with one individual.
Ignoring the fact that there are warnings and strikes and it takes like 2 or 3 to be banned even for a couple of days.
Aug 29, 2015 1:21 PM

Oct 2009
DmonHiro said:

The penalty also differs. Everyone doesn't get sent to the jail for every crime.
Having different levels of penalty will give better instruments for staff to punish users based on the severity of their offence. Mods themselves have said that they often hesitate to ban violator and let him get away with just a warning, because site-wide ban is just too severe. Having two levels of ban will allow more users to be banned, which will educate more people. Think about it a little
Aug 29, 2015 1:23 PM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Working_Designs said:

Ignoring the fact that there are warnings and strikes and it takes like 2 or 3 to be banned even for a couple of days.

I still think that you should be able to keep your list updated.

You get banned for interacting with the community, so the only place that should be barred to a banned person is the ability to interact in the forums.

Aug 29, 2015 1:35 PM

Jun 2011
If you're banned for breaking forum rules then you should only be banned from posting on the forum.
Aug 29, 2015 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Forum is forum. List is list. If you're banned from the forum then just make it so you can't post anymore. That alone is enough punishment when most people who use the forums are addicted/regulars to it anyway.

You have my support OP.
Jan 20, 2019 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
Why wasnt this implimented yet? I was told something like this was being worked on. It really would stop some people making alt accounts.
Jan 20, 2019 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
Because this has been waived since before 2015.
Jan 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Nov 2016
Serhiyko said:

IntroverTurtle said:

Not everyone has a Backup downloaded at all times. If they wanted to import their stuff to a new Account because of a ban they would need to add everything to said account since they would be unable to get the file you get when you export your list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2019 3:50 PM

Mar 2008
EratiK said:
Because this has been waived since before 2015.

No i was told by a moderator at some point it was being looked into.
Jan 20, 2019 4:59 PM

Oct 2009
Afloo said:
Serhiyko said:

Not everyone has a Backup downloaded at all times. If they wanted to import their stuff to a new Account because of a ban they would need to add everything to said account since they would be unable to get the file you get when you export your list.

It used to be possible to retrieve your (or anyone's) list using old API even while banned, not any more though
Jan 20, 2019 6:16 PM

Feb 2018
IntroverTurtle said:

some bans are automated...
like i linked a random image from google images and it banned me for it
Jan 20, 2019 8:57 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Why wasnt this implimented yet? I was told something like this was being worked on. It really would stop some people making alt accounts.

DeNA stop adding features for the site for like 2 years now i think

hopefully the new owners will implement more features like this suggestion

Jan 20, 2019 11:20 PM

Mar 2008
deg said:
traed said:

DeNA stop adding features for the site for like 2 years now i think

hopefully the new owners will implement more features like this suggestion

Yes that's why I bumped a few of my past suggestions.
Jan 21, 2019 7:40 PM

Oct 2017
Don't get banned in the first place. It's all your fault. So stop asking for privileges, when you break the rules. Following the rules isn't even difficult, to begin with. I disagree with this suggestion.
Jan 21, 2019 8:15 PM

Mar 2008
KatsutoSaki said:
Don't get banned in the first place. It's all your fault. So stop asking for privileges, when you break the rules. Following the rules isn't even difficult, to begin with. I disagree with this suggestion.

I've never neen banned that wasn't reversed.
Jan 22, 2019 6:57 AM

Sep 2012
KatsutoSaki said:
Don't get banned in the first place.

I think you missed a 4Head emote there.

OT: MAL a.k.a. MyAnimeList mainly focused on listing. Forum rules only apply on forums since the logic dictates that. There is no reason to lock the account if the user is banned.
Jan 25, 2019 4:57 PM

Aug 2017
Unless it's a violation of the rules by moderators, never. Please, just follow the rules and you will have no trouble.

Banning users from update their lists is good if you are banned from forums. The rules must be respected. Partial bans don't make any sense.
NurguburuJan 25, 2019 5:01 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 25, 2019 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
Nurguburu said:
Unless it's a violation of the rules by moderators, never. Please, just follow the rules and you will have no trouble.

Banning users from update their lists is good if you are banned from forums. The rules must be respected. Partial bans don't make any sense.

I already stated I never been banned

But they just make alt accounts which encourages them to post in the forums with those accounts and as long as they didn't try to hack the site or just were spam bots and aren't on a severe ban there really is no reason to ban them from every function of the site. As I already said I was told this was being looked into how to do this.
Aug 4, 2021 10:06 PM

Mar 2008
Why hasnt a fine tuned ban of certain site functions been implimented yet? This would cut down on moderator work by discouraging alt account making and preventing some vengeful users from causing problems. A few tunable possabilities to consider

- banning users on specific boards (may be too specific)
- banning users from posting in forums
- banning users from posting reviews (for those who troll)
- removing specific users ratings from being included in rankings
- banning users from posting on profiles and messages (but allowing them to read their messages in their inbox and outbox)
Aug 23, 2021 11:26 PM

Jul 2020
If a mod bans a user he/she is prohibited from using the entire MAL which is utterly ridiculous. We all have the right to at least update and track the list. Just because we behaved badly in the forums we aren't allowed to track at all? The banned users shouldn't be allowed to use forums but they all have the right to track their anime.
I know many will say the users who have a high risk of getting banned should behave properly but that's just a poor excuse to not modernize the site.
The site even though being the most popular anime tracking site in the web, is still outdated and needs to be fixed asap.
I know the suggestion boards is useless but I'm still leaving it here just in case.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
8 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
9 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Today

1 by Astachanna »»
9 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.