Forum Settings
Forums

[CONTEST] End-of-Summer List Designs -registration extended to September 5th-

New
Aug 14, 2015 3:23 AM

Feb 2010
This post is one of our Achievements and contests topics.

For these closing weeks of summer, we're going to hold a End-of-Summer list design contest here in this club. Anyone can enter and has a chance to win! Even if you're new to list design, you can start with my simple CSS tutorial and style your layout. We even provide premade layouts for you to work with and add your own choices of colors, images, and effects.

[u]How to enter - register by September 5th![/u]

Post in this topic you want to enter and specify which list(s) you plan on entering. You can enter with your anime list, manga list, or both. You can always change the list you plan to enter later, or drop out if you want to.

Your list design must be summer-themed. You don't have to have your layout ready until September 5th. At that time, you will need to put up your layout on the registered lists and keep your layout there for some time during review. Make sure you read the rules and guidelines below, to make sure your list design qualifies for this summer-themed contest.

[u]Rules and guidelines for the contest[/u]

1. Each user can enter 1-2 list designs, using either their anime or manga list (or both if entering 2 lists). Specify which lists when you register.

2. The images seen in your list must be summer-themed, or related to summer in some way.
So use any summer elements in your design: sun, swimming pools, beaches, bikinis, a hot summer day, ice cream on a hot summer day... whatever means "summer" to you! If you're unsure if your design is summer-themed, ask in the posts below.

3. You can use a layout you made from scratch, or you can also use premade list layouts from this topic as the basis of your design and make changes to it (at least change the images): http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=318587
If you're using a premade layout as the basis, you must make changes to all the images used in the premade layout (topbar images are excluded). Otherwise, your design could be disqualified.

4. You cannot use a private layout someone else made- IE one that you didn't make and that the creator has never been donated somewhere on MAL.

5. You must have your entries available for public viewing on your list by the registration date. If a list entry is still private on that date, it will be disqualified.

[u]Categories to win![/u]

By entering, you are eligible to win any (or even all) of these categories.

Member's Choice A category where a popular vote will determine all user's favorite summer-themed list design. A voting thread will be opened later which all users are encouraged to vote in. Winner to be selected by MAL member's votes.

Best Imagery The list design with the best choice of images will win this category. Maybe you're not good at coding, but know how to pick good anime images for a layout and display them well? Or you know how to make good color schemes that are pleasing to the eye. Then this is a category you definitely have a shot at! Winner to be selected by judges (non-entrants who are well-respected CSS and design experts).

Best Table and Menu Design Are you really good at making lovely tables and menus? Then this is a category for you to try and win! Show us your best table design. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most Creative List Design What list is the most creative or brings cool new ideas to the art form? here is a category for you coding experts to show off your most creative ideas. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most User-friendly Design Many users find advanced designs too laggy or difficult to use, and prefer simpler or minimalist designs. We recognize designs made to be convenient with this essential category! Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Overall The lists that has the highest combination of votes from members and judges will win best overall ranks.

Bonus Category: Best Ecchi Layout Will you enter a sexy bikini and beach-themed layout? Then you might be able to win this bonus category! Guest judges from our affiliate Ecchi/Harem will determine the sexiest list design in this unique category. Since you can enter two layouts, you can make one layout ecchi, and the other not!

IF there are no ecchi list styles, this category will be voided.

[u]Frequently Asked Questions[/u]

Click the spoiler for answers to FAQs in list design contests:

Any other questions can be asked in this topic.

[u]Help with your design[/u][quote]
We want everyone to do the best they are capable of, so I'm providing some resources for you here:

Shishio-kunSep 30, 2015 6:48 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 14, 2015 10:00 AM

Jan 2012
Really not sure is my list summer themed - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Hahaido
What do you think when looking at it? Is it more like spring or autumn, maybe?
Aug 14, 2015 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
Looks like a purplish autumn design, very nice, but not saying anything about summer...

I don't really have any idea for a summer themed list, is not my kind of style, but maybe I give it a chance.
Aug 14, 2015 7:05 PM

Feb 2010
Hahaido said:
Really not sure is my list summer themed - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Hahaido

Doesn't say anything about summer to me either, so no sorry

al_exs said:
Looks like a purplish autumn design, very nice, but not saying anything about summer...

I don't really have any idea for a summer themed list, is not my kind of style, but maybe I give it a chance.

I would love to see what you can come up with
Aug 15, 2015 12:53 PM

Jun 2015
- Lycelra
- Anime List
- Participating in this event.
Hi there! Nice to meet you. I'm Lycelra ~❤- Signature by Isa -
Aug 15, 2015 6:34 PM

Jun 2014
am i the only person making a list for this event. you know one that is summer themed
Aug 16, 2015 2:50 AM

Jan 2012
I'm entering with my current anime and manga lists
Aug 16, 2015 12:50 PM

Jun 2015
omg your layout look so awesome!!

i like how it looks :3

but it looks kinda big in my resolution tho >_<
Aug 16, 2015 4:08 PM

Apr 2013
can i make layout from vocaloid/kagerou project song "summertime record" ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_oR4LMdbw plz.............

Aug 16, 2015 5:27 PM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:
can i make layout from vocaloid/kagerou project song "summertime record" ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_oR4LMdbw plz.............

Can you show me the images you plan to use later first? Some of the visuals in the video are certainly summer themed, but not all especially if they're alone and out of context
Aug 16, 2015 7:40 PM

Apr 2013
plan to use some of MV image for bg. ok just t be clear, are the image need to visualy related to summer, i mean when you make layout from summer themed anime like ano natsu de matteru or non non biyori but the used image are not really into summer isit against th rules?

Aug 16, 2015 8:34 PM

Nov 2009
Hahaido said:

Hey Hahaido, I think I've seen your current anime list design from a profile of someone long time ago. Not sure if I'm mistaken.
Aug 16, 2015 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:
plan to use some of MV image for bg. ok just t be clear, are the image need to visualy related to summer, i mean when you make layout from summer themed anime like ano natsu de matteru or non non biyori but the used image are not really into summer isit against th rules?

The imagery has to be summer-themed at least. Just being from a summer-themed anime is not enough- because you know there are lots of scenes that could happen in different seasons. And if a list wins without an obvious summer theme at first sight that wouldn't be best for all ppl involved.

Tho I give a lot of freedom on what defines summer. Just a sky and summer clothes scene is enough imo. For example Hahaido's current is fine for this theme. Even just characters in summer garb with no real background would be fine. Like all those Free! backgrounds of guys in swimsuits against abstract backgrounds, tons of lists doing that now
Shishio-kunAug 16, 2015 9:24 PM
Aug 16, 2015 9:06 PM

Jan 2012
Lycelra_ said:
omg your layout look so awesome!!

i like how it looks :3

but it looks kinda big in my resolution tho >_<

I'm making my lists compatible with most resolutions, except mobile ones. What is your resolution?
Takana_no_Hana said:

Hey Hahaido, I think I've seen your current anime list design from a profile of someone long time ago. Not sure if I'm mistaken.

What do you mean?
Aug 16, 2015 9:38 PM

Jun 2015
Mine one was 1920*1080
It looks a little bit of blank on the right side from my perspective lol
Aug 16, 2015 10:00 PM

Jan 2012
When you said the list is big you meant it's blank on the right side?
Aug 16, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2015
Yep
Aug 17, 2015 3:40 AM

Jun 2014
Theme Watermelon and salt (what could be more Japanese summer than that)
Entering my manga list http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/shardshunt1 with a bit of a less is more mentality.
It works at any resolution I can achieve as well as half screen and has low load time plus zero fades or slides (smooth transactions) so keeps navigation quick and simple.
best viewed with Mozilla for smooth scrolling or Microsoft edge for instantaneous loading.
Aug 19, 2015 3:05 AM

Apr 2012
I'm entering with my Anime List, I'm still working on it, but pretty much all the look is almost finished, just some colors, and some background if I find a better one.

At least it now works well in Firefox 40.0.2, Chrome 44.0.2403, and IE 11.0.21. And for any resolution from 1280x800 and up.
Aug 22, 2015 12:45 AM

Apr 2015
Oh God, I just finished my new manga list before seeing this. If I had seen this post like a couple of days ago, I would've made it summer themed. I'm in with my anime list http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SamPolus22 Let's see if I can make it before the deadline
Aug 23, 2015 12:05 AM

Apr 2015
Images like this are allowed or nah? http://imgur.com/3CANpyi
Aug 23, 2015 10:31 AM

Feb 2010
SamPolus22 said:
Images like this are allowed or nah? http://imgur.com/3CANpyi

"Like this"- I can't approve images I don't see first. But this particular image is fine. afaik MAL designs can't have exposed nipples, genitals, or "fluids"
Aug 24, 2015 4:14 PM

Apr 2015
The club officers are competition judges or participants?
Aug 24, 2015 9:35 PM

Jun 2014
im adding my anime list aswell as my manga list as previously mentioned
Aug 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Apr 2013
Entering with my current Anime List and (manga list still in progress, see if i can make it before deadline), currently only works on Firefox Browser, didnt know how z-index works on Chrome so disable it's compatibility :/

All Images are Official Art from Summer Event Artwork, so it's obviously summer themed right?
also i set images randomly so it's changed when you reload the page

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kiokuzoku

Aug 25, 2015 9:25 PM

Jan 2012
You have a very strange list ;)
To setup z-index in Chrome you should only know that relative/absolute positions have a higher priority than fixed position. So if you want that element with position different from fixed was below it you need to change it's position to fixed (z-index in Chrome works only with the same positions, i. e. both elements should be relative, absolute or fixed position) and adjust z-index value. Or change fixed element to relative/absolute position
Aug 25, 2015 9:59 PM

Apr 2015
Yeah, Chrome is annoying. The animations, borders, and even sometimes colors don't work. Everything was fine in Firefox and Microsoft Edge
Aug 27, 2015 1:02 AM

Apr 2015
How do you remove the thing between Edit and More??
http://imgur.com/3O0hmzg
Whenever I remove this http://imgur.com/v2SJE0f from the html, the thing goes away, but it doesn't have an ID, Class, or whatever
Aug 27, 2015 1:17 AM

Feb 2010
SamPolus22 said:
The club officers are competition judges or participants?

I don't know who will be competition judges atm, and there are no plans to make any or all officers judges. They'd have to be list designers first and not all officers are list designers

Officers can participate if they want but a judge can't be a participant at the same time

SamPolus22 said:
How do you remove the thing between Edit and More??
http://imgur.com/3O0hmzg
Whenever I remove this http://imgur.com/v2SJE0f from the html, the thing goes away, but it doesn't have an ID, Class, or whatever

iirc, you need to remove the dash and two links around it with the single "blanket" CSS code for all three of them, then re-add the two links manually with their own individual selectors. You can find the codes thru that inspect element you're using and right-clicking Copy Unique Selector on those parts in the HTML (ask again if you still can't find them).

No one ever found an individual selector for that dash. Would be nice to have something tho.
Shishio-kunAug 27, 2015 1:26 AM
Aug 27, 2015 1:19 AM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:
(manga list still in progress, see if i can make it before deadline)

I can extend deadline a few days if you need it, just ask here
Aug 29, 2015 3:14 PM

Feb 2010
I see some ppl wanted to add/update more things but maybe haven't had time, so to prevent the stress of trying to meet a deadline and hopefully bring in a couple more list designs, I'll extend deadline sometime later, to maybe the following Friday (Sept 4). So you'd get a few more days and hopefully that would help out any ppl trying to get more work in.

I know I always extend deadlines to contests but its always worth it to bring in a couple new layouts, and its not like we're on some clock anyhow
Aug 30, 2015 9:39 PM

May 2014
I'm joining with my current animelist.
But I wonder about the performance.
Sometimes, lags occur in google chrome when I scroll it up/down, and I'm also worried about the performance in higher resolution..
Currently I only have 1600x900 and 1366x768 for conducting experiments
Aug 31, 2015 12:27 AM

Jun 2014
D_Cuy said:
Sometimes, lags occur in google chrome when I scroll it up/down, and I'm also worried about the performance in higher resolution..

Better performance than 90% of the lists in this competition so no problems.
Aug 31, 2015 12:37 AM

Apr 2015
Ahhh, CSS is really hard for a noob like me. I might consider dropping out because I'm getting tired with no results
Aug 31, 2015 12:38 AM

Apr 2015
D_Cuy said:

OMG, your list is super amazing!
Aug 31, 2015 2:36 AM

May 2014
shardshunt1 said:

Better performance than 90% of the lists in this competition so no problems.

Oh thank you, it seems I won't need extra work for it

SamPolus22 said:
Ahhh, CSS is really hard for a noob like me. I might consider dropping out because I'm getting tired with no results

I think you have done a great job so far, and I like the background that you choose
Aug 31, 2015 2:55 AM

Jun 2014
SamPolus22 said:

If their is one piece of advice i can give you it is keep it simple. transparency and rounded corners can look great but often a piece of white paper with text on it looks nicer and is more functional. once you have that you can work up from there.

that might just be cause Im a noob but you can decide that for yourself if you wish based on my lists.
Sep 3, 2015 3:43 PM

Feb 2010
Registration ends soon!
Saturday will be the last day to register. However, you have till Monday to work on last minute touches for your layout

Be ready for Monday!
Voting will begin NEXT MONDAY. Make sure you have your layout(s) ready then. You have all the time till then to tweak your designs. I would strongly suggest to make sure it works fine in both Firefox and Chrome, since viewers will be checking in both browsers.

Screenshots/comments for voting topic
In the "voting topic" ppl who vote will be asked to view each list, similar to the past contests. However, in that topic I will also provide screenshots of each layout. The planned shot will be taken with a 1366px resolution in Firefox, and downsized to 800px for here. If the layout is animated in some way, I may provide an animated GIF shot.

However, you can opt to provide your own screenshot. It must be 800px across or it will be scaled down so. You can also opt to provide multiple screenshots, but the total space they take up must not exceed a height of 600px or a width of 800px.

I will also add one comment on each screenshot (or set of shots). You can opt for your own custom comment, to "sell" the best qualities of your layout. Keep in mind I will correct bad grammar or spelling in your quote, so it may be altered a bit.
Shishio-kunSep 3, 2015 4:51 PM
Sep 4, 2015 8:04 PM

Apr 2013
cant finish planned mangalist layout, ill enter w/ both list. im using my alt account layout for mangalist, ill change some code t summer themed.

Sep 4, 2015 10:23 PM

Apr 2015
Kiokuzoku said:
cant finish planned mangalist layout, ill enter w/ both list. im using my alt account layout for mangalist, ill change some code t summer themed.

Pururin :3
Anzumatsuri_Sep 5, 2015 12:11 AM
Sep 4, 2015 10:32 PM

Apr 2015
Shishio-kun said:
Registration ends soon!
Saturday will be the last day to register. However, you have till Monday to work on last minute touches for your layout

Be ready for Monday!
Voting will begin NEXT MONDAY. Make sure you have your layout(s) ready then. You have all the time till then to tweak your designs. I would strongly suggest to make sure it works fine in both Firefox and Chrome, since viewers will be checking in both browsers.

Screenshots/comments for voting topic
In the "voting topic" ppl who vote will be asked to view each list, similar to the past contests. However, in that topic I will also provide screenshots of each layout. The planned shot will be taken with a 1366px resolution in Firefox, and downsized to 800px for here. If the layout is animated in some way, I may provide an animated GIF shot.

However, you can opt to provide your own screenshot. It must be 800px across or it will be scaled down so. You can also opt to provide multiple screenshots, but the total space they take up must not exceed a height of 600px or a width of 800px.

I will also add one comment on each screenshot (or set of shots). You can opt for your own custom comment, to "sell" the best qualities of your layout. Keep in mind I will correct bad grammar or spelling in your quote, so it may be altered a bit.

It will be hard to make my list compatible with chrome because it's annoying. I have an animation on anime title if you hover over it, but sometimes on chrome it doesn't work on certain anime titles. For example Chaos dragon. The animation doesn't show if I hover over it. I don' know if the problem is only if I'm the one viewing it or everyone who's viewing the list will have the same problem
Sep 5, 2015 4:33 PM

Feb 2010
SamPolus22 said:

It will be hard to make my list compatible with chrome because it's annoying. I have an animation on anime title if you hover over it, but sometimes on chrome it doesn't work on certain anime titles. For example Chaos dragon. The animation doesn't show if I hover over it. I don' know if the problem is only if I'm the one viewing it or everyone who's viewing the list will have the same problem

Chrome can be shitty, yes- I wouldn't worry about it tho, and I can add a note: Best viewed in Firefox.

OH I think that problem you have, may be due to addons, that has happened before.

Kiokuzoku said:

Sure, but alt accounts can be deleted by mods. I don't report ppl for this, but I would be wary just in case someone does and the mod deems it against rules. Might wanna just move the CSS temp to your main. btw mods seem to be ok with alts in some cases, so its not a hard rule afaik
Shishio-kunSep 5, 2015 4:36 PM
Sep 5, 2015 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
SylakentH (anime list) and myself (anime list) are entering last minute. I ended up withsome free days this week and decided to make a design for this contest and hopefully I can work last minute kinks and customizations before Monday!

Anyone else who wants to register last minute pls do so tonight! And remember you have the weekend to work out last minute issues, and on Monday Screenshots will be taken etc (see my previous post)
Sep 5, 2015 7:24 PM

Apr 2015
Shishio-kun said:
SylakentH (anime list) and myself (anime list) are entering last minute. I ended up withsome free days this week and decided to make a design for this contest and hopefully I can work last minute kinks and customizations before Monday!

Anyone else who wants to register last minute pls do so tonight! And remember you have the weekend to work out last minute issues, and on Monday Screenshots will be taken etc (see my previous post)

I laughed really hard when I saw your list. Those damn tsunderes XD
Sep 6, 2015 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:

Whats the alt account going to be if you're going to use it?
Sep 6, 2015 9:02 PM

Apr 2015
How many hours left till the voting begins?
Sep 6, 2015 9:25 PM

Apr 2015
Shishio-kun said:
Kiokuzoku said:

Whats the alt account going to be if you're going to use it?

I think he meant that he's going to take his alt account layout and put it in his main account
Sep 6, 2015 10:46 PM

Apr 2013
@Shishio-kun my mangalist. the layout im used is from my alt account private layout and edited w/ summer theme, just make sure im not using someone private layout.

for animelist, after Hahaido point out the chrome problem on my anilist somehow i can fix it by change the emulated click to default hover style, but chrome give me another problem with it's overflow: hidden and fixed .___. nd ended up targeting chrome and firefox with different style. it's now chrome ready but still best viewed on firefox ==a

Sep 6, 2015 10:57 PM

Apr 2015
Kiokuzoku said:
@Shishio-kun my mangalist. the layout im used is from my alt account private layout and edited w/ summer theme, just make sure im not using someone private layout.

for animelist, after Hahaido point out the chrome problem on my anilist somehow i can fix it by change the emulated click to default hover style, but chrome give me another problem with it's overflow: hidden and fixed .___. nd ended up targeting chrome and firefox with different style. it's now chrome ready but still best viewed on firefox ==a

The little pink squares on the left of the anime title are supposed to have pictures or nah, because I don't see any pictures
Sep 6, 2015 11:11 PM

Feb 2010
SamPolus22 said:
How many hours left till the voting begins?

There is no set exact time, but its after I take screenshots which I plan to do today. But I'm going to wait a few hours for Lycelra today to see what they say. I don't want them to waste a lot of time making a layout and get disqualified just cuz they forgot to put the design up in time
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❓ Ask for help here + See Frequently Asked Questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Apr 15, 2010

7812 by mtsRhea »»
Apr 21, 5:25 AM

» [CSS- MODERN] ⭐ Minimal Dashboard layout by 5cm ~ Compact and convenient! ( 1 2 3 )

Shishio-kun - Sep 4, 2020

121 by Pokitaru »»
Apr 21, 3:25 AM

» [CSS-MODERN] Change list text/font colors on any list layout

Shishio-kun - May 4, 2021

3 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

» [CSS] [VIDEO GUIDE] ⭐️ How to change fonts on a list layout

Shishio-kun - Jul 15, 2019

17 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:03 PM

» [CSS][Modern] ☀️ Endless Summer Layout by Cateinya ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cateinya - Aug 18, 2016

309 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.