Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 26, 2015 11:22 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
MiloMinderbinder said:
Kyoto animation has the perfect opportunity to add a homosexual element to a series which isn't a primary romance. Most of the time yuri is only done as an overt romance series (e.g. Girlfriends, Aoi Hana (even if slow)) or as a comical add on for fan service purposes. Here we have a music anime with a possible lesbian sub plot.

The world needs to recognise that homosexuality is just another form of romantic bond and stop singling it out all the time. By labelling it as yuri or shoujo ai you run the risk of detracting from that and making it seem like the show is targeted at a niche group. Even if your heterosexual why can't you watch a cute homosexual romance in a fictional drama without making a big deal out of it. Kyoani could just make the romance happen naturally between Kumiko and Reina and not be weak by being ambiguous (I'm looking at you America, Legend of Korra)

Sorry for the rant.

You kinda nailed it.
May 26, 2015 11:23 PM

Apr 2015
zensunni said:
Smudy said:
Tell me that this is a shoujo-ai. Imma be very disappointed if it isn't.

Regardless of whether they end up together or not, this IS shoujo ai. The question is whether it will be yuri or not.

From the comments I have read from people who read the first book, Kyoani has stressed the yuri relationship more than it was in that book. A lot of people take this to suggest that they are yuri-baiting and there will only be het relationships in the end. However, there is another explanation for it: They know that the two of them end up together and are foreshadowing it more than the author did so people don't scream that it came out of nowhere in the end.

Is that the case? Who knows? But this episode was beautiful and very well done!

It also makes it extremely clear that Kumiko had NO thoughts about Shuichi that were romantic in nature. When he asked her to go to the festival she was totally blindsided. Her discomfort with the situation was ENTIRELY because she was afraid of hurting Hazuki. It is also pretty strongly suggested that Kumiko doesn't really notice guys in general. I seem to recall early on someone making a comment about how good looking Taki-sensei was and her responding, unintentionally out loud, "He is?". (I love the way she says what's on her mind absentmindedly, and when her friends say, "You said that out loud...") Then there is that discussion with Reina earlier where Kumiko commented that Taki-sensei is good looking and Reina responded with surprise, then Kumiko sputtered back that it is what other people are saying.

There are a lot of signs that point to Kumiko being a lesbian who has not quite figured out her sexual preference yet, in other words.

Reina, on the other hand, comes across more as bi and very aware of it... And a bit twisted, and hot as the surface of the sun!

Seriously, you watched too much yuri anime and manga that you forgot that this is Kyoani territory. They don't do yuri. As long that THEY don't label it as such, it'll never be yuri. yoyr hopes will be crush as many of you did in that dragon mecha anime.

MiloMinderbinder said:
Kyoto animation has the perfect opportunity to add a homosexual element to a series which isn't a primary romance. Most of the time yuri is only done as an overt romance series (e.g. Girlfriends, Aoi Hana (even if slow)) or as a comical add on for fan service purposes. Here we have a music anime with a possible lesbian sub plot.

The world needs to recognise that homosexuality is just another form of romantic bond and stop singling it out all the time. By labelling it as yuri or shoujo ai you run the risk of detracting from that and making it seem like the show is targeted at a niche group. Even if your heterosexual why can't you watch a cute homosexual romance in a fictional drama without making a big deal out of it. Kyoani could just make the romance happen naturally between Kumiko and Reina and not be weak by being ambiguous (I'm looking at you America, Legend of Korra)

Sorry for the rant.

Nah, hentai is the best way to show yuri.
RPSB9May 26, 2015 11:31 PM
#CHEXIT
May 26, 2015 11:27 PM

Mar 2009
When do they fuck?
May 26, 2015 11:29 PM
Apr 2015
Tsukamoto's sudden feeling for Kumiko was so forced ┗, ┛
May 26, 2015 11:31 PM

May 2015
ED 愛を見つけた場所 "Ai wo mitsuketa basho" - the place we find the love
奥 華子 oku hanako

I can only found AMV

May 26, 2015 11:36 PM
Sep 2011
Imeon said:
zensunni said:

Regardless of whether they end up together or not, this IS shoujo ai. The question is whether it will be yuri or not.

From the comments I have read from people who read the first book, Kyoani has stressed the yuri relationship more than it was in that book. A lot of people take this to suggest that they are yuri-baiting and there will only be het relationships in the end. However, there is another explanation for it: They know that the two of them end up together and are foreshadowing it more than the author did so people don't scream that it came out of nowhere in the end.

Is that the case? Who knows? But this episode was beautiful and very well done!

It also makes it extremely clear that Kumiko had NO thoughts about Shuichi that were romantic in nature. When he asked her to go to the festival she was totally blindsided. Her discomfort with the situation was ENTIRELY because she was afraid of hurting Hazuki. It is also pretty strongly suggested that Kumiko doesn't really notice guys in general. I seem to recall early on someone making a comment about how good looking Taki-sensei was and her responding, unintentionally out loud, "He is?". (I love the way she says what's on her mind absentmindedly, and when her friends say, "You said that out loud...") Then there is that discussion with Reina earlier where Kumiko commented that Taki-sensei is good looking and Reina responded with surprise, then Kumiko sputtered back that it is what other people are saying.

There are a lot of signs that point to Kumiko being a lesbian who has not quite figured out her sexual preference yet, in other words.

Reina, on the other hand, comes across more as bi and very aware of it... And a bit twisted, and hot as the surface of the sun!

Seriously, you watched too much yuri anime and manga that you forgot that this is Kyoani territory. They don't do yuri. As long that THEY don't label it as such, it'll never be yuri. yoyr hopes will be crush as many of you did in that dragon mecha anime.

MiloMinderbinder said:

Sorry for the rant.

I kind of want to drop the anime right here, not because its bad, but because its so perfect up to this point, but its Kyoani so I know they are going to fuck us over yet again, with pain in my heart I have to agree with Imeon. It most likely not gonna happen, but hey we can dream right?
May 26, 2015 11:49 PM

Nov 2007
imouto4oniichan said:

Sudden? lol. It's common knowledge (in Japan and the rest of the world except for some states in the United States and southern part of Antarctica) that when a childhood friend calls his female friend ugly when they were little:

a) the boy actually liked her
b) the boy will definitely like her when they go to high school or
c) the girl will end up liking the boy when they go to high school

:D

Kurisshi said:
Imeon said:

I kind of want to drop the anime right here, not because its bad, but because its so perfect up to this point, but its Kyoani so I know they are going to fuck us over yet again, with pain in my heart I have to agree with Imeon. It most likely not gonna happen, but hey we can dream right?

But you can always buy the first 4 Blu-ray discs and help the industry. :)
TyrelMay 27, 2015 8:07 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 26, 2015 11:51 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, and so the notion of romantic friendship is impossible? C'mon people, life isn't black and white.
Kumiko may be a teenager, but her disinterest applies to most everything in her life, not just guys. This is constantly emphasized in the dialogue (even this episode: ie. "I don't really like crowds.") In fact I find that one of her traits that I can relate to. She's distant, introverted, somewhat apathetic, and asocial (social disinterest). Saying that, it also means she's more honest with herself than worrying about social constraints (same with Kousaka). I think Kousaka and Kumiko compliment each other, so whether they end up together or not really doesn't matter to me so long as the development is natural. They have a special relationship at this point, and I'm interested to see where it goes since they don't interact very much normally. I do hope the band drama continues to be the main plot though as much as I love these characters.

Anyway, KOUSAKA, YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL. She was always unique, but this episode she displayed her full elegance. Her simplicity, her quiet ambitious nature and her independence are simply wonderful. The way she views the world and the way she spoke to Kumiko in teasing banter shows a bit of her mischief that contrasts her public image. Simply wonderful. Asuka's been outdone.

And I like that the drama with Shuichi was settled quickly! Literally a confession on the first date, done and over with. I'm glad the love triangle didn't get dragged out or get melodramatic.

In one episode this series has managed to change my opinion once again. Geez, at this rate it's either going to end as crap or excellence.
May 26, 2015 11:54 PM

May 2010
imouto4oniichan said:

shanimebib said:
Sudden? lol. It's common knowledge (in Japan and the rest of the world except for some states in the United States and southern part of Antarctica) that when a childhood friend calls his female friend ugly when they were little:

Tsukamoto invite kumiko the festival and rejecter Hazuki I think that's clear, so yes imouto4oniichan is right.
May 26, 2015 11:56 PM

Dec 2013
Three pages plus of comments just goes to prove exactly why I prefer not having romance at the forefront of shows such as this. So much salty shipping bullcrap.
Both sides all over-analyzing each and every single gesture and move that the characters involved make, just to support or defend their ship.

Like, woah, Kumiko grabbed Reina's arm when Hazuki came out of the classroom to talk with Shuichi. Does it mean she was worried about Hazuki getting it on with Shuichi?
Or does it mean she was clinging in fear because she didn't want to be with Shuichi alone (which for a girl is admittedly an awkward situation if you want to reject the guy, but keep him as a normal friend), and was holding onto her for help? Perhaps she doesn't want to change her relationship with Shuichi to anything more and is afraid of him because he is forcing the issue?
Or maybe she suddenly had PMS, or maybe diarrhea?
Who knows. You could take the exact same scene and interpret the hell out of it either way, just to fit your bias. Looking at it from a neutral standpoint, I find this stuff ridiculous.

You shippers can lock your salty horns against one another all you want. I just want to see more effort and hard work being shown regarding the main theme of the show, the BAND's push for a nationals spot. Romance can go take a hike for all I care.

As for the rest of the actual show itself. To say it was wonderful would be an understatement.
The imagery of this show is amazing to say the least. The animation is crisp and clean, almost OVA movie-like. The backgrounds have all be portrayed with a realism and accuracy that which you hardly see for season-long TV anime episodes.

The character interactions felt quite real, and although romance seemed to be the main theme of this episode, I felt that they portrayed all the individual interactions beautifully.
Hazuki being egged on by Midori and the cute little Kohaku (who's shy reactions were so child-like and realistic). Then the comforting scene at the end when her efforts were all for naught.
Kumiko ignoring Shuichi both out of consideration for Hazuki and because she's simply concentrating on her own playing.
Nagase acting all flustered when denying her relationship with Takuya and then having to go back on it when she realized she hurt his feelings, then subsequent festival date where the stoic Takuya's ears flushed red after seeing her in a kimono.
The taunting banter between the Frenemies Natsuki and Yuuko after the later gets rejected by her beloved Kaori-sempai, and ending up going with one another to the festival at the end.
The casual rapport that was shown between Kaori, Asuka and Haruka at the festival.
Then of course the somewhat intimate heart-to-heart that Kumiko and Reina had on their journey to perform atop the mountain.
All those moments were done so well. I didn't feel like there was a single wasted scene all episode. And the feelings induced all over the place, well apart from the rejection part, all felt really organic. I loved it all.

Despite all the stupid shipping crap, I got my full dose of Midori!
Now accompanied by the cutest little sister in the world: Kohaku!

Apologies to all the salty shippers as I fan-boy my butt off for my bias....
on second thought. Sorry, not sorry :P
Midori~chan

Kohaku~chan

Midori is love~

Midori + Kohaku is love love love~

Lovely girls in lovely yukatas

And as sad as this scene is....

Kazuki, trade places with me!!!! I want that Kawashima group hug!

This: still a better romance than what you salty shippers are shipping.

That beautiful scenery.....

and these bonds.....

beat out romance any day.

And lastly, what I think of all the pointless shipping:

Good day to you all!

Mod Edit: Please hide if you're posting more than one picture
TyrelMay 27, 2015 8:09 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 27, 2015 12:12 AM

Oct 2014
Reina's confession at the end was downwright confusing, she wants to be someone special and does not want to interact with people cause of that. So what does Kumiko have to do with this. Personal theory: maybe Reina in this scene is like Kumiko's realisation that she should not confine herself to just settle for the impression of people around her. Always strive for the top even though people around you say otherwise, I have no idea, maybe Kousaka is Kumiko's gurdian angel and is a magical being, cause the marilyn monroe upskirt though, child that was magical.

Also yuri is stupid. Kumiko x Shuichi for life. Fudging love their bluntness with each other, wonderfully realistic. I could mope about Hazuki being rejected, but as I said he has better chemistry with Kumiko anyway.

My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
May 27, 2015 12:13 AM

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:
imouto4oniichan said:

Many people can sniff a female tsundere and not a male tsundere.

I agree with this. I find it cute. Guys are not always honest with their feelings.
#CHEXIT
May 27, 2015 12:17 AM

Mar 2008
Loved this episode. I feel bad for Hazuki but oh well.

Also, Reina x Kumiko!!! Dear god that moment when Reina touched Kumiko's lips had me going. =3
May 27, 2015 12:18 AM

Jul 2014
Lol these kawaii yuri vibes. i kinda actually hope that reina and kumiko end up together or at least have a great relationship.
Poor katou though but atleast Shuichi stayed true to his feelings and didnt take advantage of her, SUCH A MAN.
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
May 27, 2015 12:21 AM

Oct 2014
Imeon said:
shanimebib said:

Many people can sniff a female tsundere and not a male tsundere.

I agree with this. I find it cute. Guys are not always honest with their feelings.

Every shoujo manga ever.
My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
May 27, 2015 12:50 AM

Jan 2015
Ah. I think I can die happy now. I wonder if this is what Kumiko felt like...

Best. Episode. Ever.
I think I must've watched it 12 times before realising that KyoAni is actually putting romantic vibes out into the open (yay! Riko and Goto! If it weren't for my KumikoReina armada of flagships, you would be right up there!).

It's weird. I'm already feeling that moment of 'it's not going to happen. Nope. Never' coming on, but maybe that's just my imagination (or possibly the blatant statistics KyoAni puts out) talking. I tentatively accept that episode 9 will exist. Depending on how much my headcanon is destroyed, I will possibly revert back to the idea that episode 8 is the ending of Hibike! Euphonium.

And so the next piece begins...

May 27, 2015 1:16 AM

Jan 2010
That was so beautiful. I love the character interactions in this episode, it just feels so real and natural.

I especially like how they execute scenes between Kumiko and Reina~
(i have mixed feelings about shipping them because I feel like it's a trap again .-.)

Will most likely change this soon. || PNCH || PPFC || Anime Familia || EHC
May 27, 2015 1:27 AM

Jun 2008
...Uh, what just happened?

God damn it, KyoAni, don't bait me like this.
May 27, 2015 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
Those beautiful sceneries and that yuri bait............

Omg KyoAni please don't screw this up.

Higher expectations may just mean higher disappointment. (I seriously hope not.)
Cute is justice.
May 27, 2015 1:33 AM

May 2012
Wow Kousaka was beautifully drew in this episode. She is so pretty *_*

TyrelMay 27, 2015 8:10 AM
I despise woke people.
May 27, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 2011
Imeon said:

Remember the SunFes episode where everyone was dismissing their school, because of how terrible they were previously? And then they surprise them by doing something modern and new? Remember the genesis of this project, that it isn't a commercial contract, but a not-very-popular book the director picked up in a store and wanted to make an anime of?

The fact that people assume that Kyoani can't do this, is to me the reason why I think they are gonna. I think the crew are working on this with such passion, and putting so much love into something that cannot be as successful as their more famed works, because the show represents a way for Kyoani, like the band in the show, to prove themselves as something special. What's the point of a passion project otherwise? They've put their intentions - a lesbian original ending - very clearly on the blackboard, and there's no chickening out now.
May 27, 2015 2:25 AM

Apr 2015
Fangz said:
Imeon said:

Remember the SunFes episode where everyone was dismissing their school, because of how terrible they were previously? And then they surprise them by doing something modern and new? Remember the genesis of this project, that it isn't a commercial contract, but a not-very-popular book the director picked up in a store and wanted to make an anime of?

The fact that people assume that Kyoani can't do this, is to me the reason why I think they are gonna. I think the crew are working on this with such passion, and putting so much love into something that cannot be as successful as their more famed works, because the show represents a way for Kyoani, like the band in the show, to prove themselves as something special. What's the point of a passion project otherwise? They've put their intentions - a lesbian original ending - very clearly on the blackboard, and there's no chickening out now.

Your sources?
#CHEXIT
May 27, 2015 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
Glorious episode.

More screentime for best girl Reina was more than welcome. Beautiful scenes with her. I was completely captivated.
May 27, 2015 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
Mormegil said:
When do they fuck?

Asking the important questions,I see.
May 27, 2015 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
DejWo said:
Mormegil said:
When do they fuck?

If this is hentai yuri, It's a legitimate question. But this neither yuri or hentai.
#CHEXIT
May 27, 2015 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Imeon said:
DejWo said:

If this is hentai yuri, It's a legitimate question. But this neither yuri or hentai.

Yup,I am joking.I know the last episode was most likely only a bait,but it was pretty good one.
May 27, 2015 3:20 AM

Jan 2011
cmon guys, use WEBM instead of that old GIF-shit …
May 27, 2015 4:23 AM
Jun 2014
StevenHu said:
Can you imagine someone actually doing this in real life? O_o

Reina is like a stark contrast to Haru from "Free!" in terms of goals but shares the same personality.

I have no idea what the Snow Maiden story is but I wonder if she meant by "The Snow Queen" fairy tale.

Yea, I don't know the real reason why did Reina touch Kumiko's face like that. xd

And still, the visual is glorius.
May 27, 2015 4:52 AM

Apr 2015
ChiLynn said:
StevenHu said:
Can you imagine someone actually doing this in real life? O_o

Reina is like a stark contrast to Haru from "Free!" in terms of goals but shares the same personality.

I have no idea what the Snow Maiden story is but I wonder if she meant by "The Snow Queen" fairy tale.

Yea, I don't know the real reason why did Reina touch Kumiko's face like that. xd

And still, the visual is glorius.

It's just a tease. I got my ass grab by a guy and he's not gay. Women hugs each other, kiss each other, but they're not gay.
#CHEXIT
May 27, 2015 4:55 AM
Dec 2008
Hilarious

gnodabMay 27, 2015 5:06 AM
May 27, 2015 4:58 AM

Feb 2014
Kyo Ani is spoiling us with their gorgeous visuals again! ^W^

Anyway, Hazuki's very quick crush with Shuichi has, for now, come to an end after he rejected her confession. Despite that, Hazuki put on a brave face and declared that she would help Shuichi and Kumiko get together. Poor Hazuki, having to put on a brave face in front of Shuichi after the rejection, then after seeing Midori later on, she breaks down in tears. D=

Speaking of Midori, her little sister was incredibly adorable! =3

The yuri vibe between Kumiko and Reina continues to get stronger. It was nice to see the two of them getting along well with each other as they walked to the top of the mountain, then to play their instruments was a lovely touch from Kyo Ani.

Best episode yet. =D
May 27, 2015 5:56 AM

Nov 2010
ooo333 said:
Males,

if you like a chick and shes pretty, and you are going after her. But then all of a sudden, a new chick appears and shes pretty as well, but except, the new chick likes you and confesses to you.

Would you forget about the chick that you are chasing and go after the one who likes you or not?
Of course, who do you think I am, some kind of faggot?
May 27, 2015 6:00 AM

Nov 2011
Episode enjoyable throughout its duration. Pleasant and friendly narration and a little touching; I liked the final part of that character to the protagonists and increases interpersonal ties. The drawings are discrete, beautiful scenery; OST and excellent animations. I want the next episode immediately.
May 27, 2015 6:05 AM

Jan 2012
Now THAT, ladies and gentleman, is how it's done. All hail KyoAni. Nagato Who-ki? You'll have to forgive all the incoming gushing, as I'm still a little overcome with ALL THE FEELS from this latest, greatest episode of Hibike! Euphonium, which also happens to be the best thing I've seen all Spring; maybe all year.
This episode was every bit a carefully, lovingly composed masterpiece with nary a note out of place, starting with not letting Kumiko off the hook. We're right back at those desks with Hazuki, having dredged up the courage (and you can see her nervousness in the way her feet shift below that desks).

Kumiko has no clue what's going on, but she's about to. Surprising candidate for class yenta Sapphire takes Kumiko's noncommittal attitude as tacit approval for Hazuki to ask Shuu out for the upcoming Agata Festival, a traditional ceremony of pairing-off for her peers.

But as we've seen, Shuu isn't interested in any other girls. He asks Kumiko out, and she again acts like a deer in the headlights. As she makes the transition from dark winter to more cheery summer uniform, the sky is appropriately as cloudy as her muddle of racing thoughts. He told her to think about it, but she's having trouble thinking about anything. This state of mind is totally new for her, and it seems equal parts frightening and exhilarating.

Kumiko didn't ask to be thrown into a love triangle, which she literally draws out in her notebook just so she can behold it in a space other than the inside of her reeling head. Nor did she want to be put in a position where her chipper friend Hazuki gets hurt. But the aggressive Sapphire literally pushes Hazuki into doing what she wants to do and would probably regret not doing.

In a sign that Shuu simply isn't on the same wavelength as her, he misjudges Kumiko's efforts to slink away from him as a signal for him to follow her. Literally cornered, she grabs the arm of the first person to exit the practice room, who as fate would have it, is Reina! Hazuki also comes out, and asks Shuu for a moment; Shuu asks Kumiko if it's really "okay", and she tells him it is.

But it isn't. Of course it isn't. It's almost not fair!

I say almost, because Kumiko's "consolation" prize is no consolation at all; but the jackpot; she just doesn't know it yet. She may have grabbed Reina at random, but Reina considers the act a binding contract, and Kumiko's in no position to argue. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Kumiko was looking more forward to going with Reina, who's telling her they're going, than Shuu, whom she would've had to say "yes" to— something she's apparently not ready for.

I liked the episode's inclusion of the normal couple Riko and Gotou as a sign that not everyone is locked in fraught triangles at school. But I also like how the show doesn't play favorites for any particular vertex of the triangle we think is in play. Because of that, I was still rooting for the super-cute Hazuki, who eschews a yukata for a miniskirt and short-crop tee.

As for Reina, well...what is there to say? She's hauntingly gorgeous, so much so that a more slapsticky show would have almost certainly gone inside an SD Kumiko's head as she gulps comically loudly. Kumiko is also dressed decidedly boyishly compared to Reina's ethereal snow-white one piece. But on this date, it's Reina who leads: up a mountain and into another entirely new world for Kumiko; one she never saw coming.

Like I said, I wanted to root for Hazuki and Shuu, but as cute as she is, the spark just isn't there. At least Hazuki has the good sense to be quick and efficient about things, so that when Shuu does gently but firmly reject her, it doesn't feel quite as sudden when she's suddenly resolving to get him and Kumiko together, despite his claim there's nothing there. Still, that shot of Hazuki from behind, gazing at the shimmering moonlit water that may as well be her tears, is a powerful image.

"This must be how it feels to lose your life, drawn to a beautiful thing, despite your fears."

As good as Hazuki's failed confession was, it is quickly overshadowed by Kumiko's date with Reina, as they trudge up the mountain, periodically switching instruments so they share the load.

"Seeing you in that white one-piece, holding my euphonium, seems so wrong."

On this trek, far from all the other festival-goers Reina fearlessly lays her feelings for Kumiko bare.

—Don't your feet hurt?
—They hurt. But I don't hate pain.
—What? That's kind of hot.
—Freak.

It would have been easy for Shuu to accept Hazuki's confession and go out with her, having been spurned by Kumiko in a golden opportunity passed by. But the true love triangle doesn't involve Hazuki at all; we now know it's between Shuu, Kumiko, and Reina.

It's like you put on a kind, good-girl face, but inside, you're actually really distant. It makes me want to peel that good-girl skin off of you.

Bandmate Natsuki also remarked that Kumiko "is kind of distant like that", and it's true. It's why we hear Kumiko narrating to us all the time: not just to explain how the concert band works, but she's observing and reporting on her life, all the while keeping it at arm's length.

It's a side she didn't know anyone noticed—heck, it might be a side she didn't even know she had. But Reina has seen it. Reina stays away from people who "don't interest her", and believes fitting in, and being relieved about being the same as someone else is "stupid."

It was pretty ingenious how effortlessly Reina scooped Reina up and put her under her spell. I must say I did not expect a confession of romantic love, nor was there an indication the show would take a yuri turn so soon, but hey, it is Springtime, and by the time they'd finally reached the summit and seen the entire town and festival at their feet, as if they were standing in heaven, I wasn't ruling out a kiss. Reina's "not the same as the others" line seems to underline the fact that no guy in her life interests her as much as Kumiko does.

On the one hand I couldn't help but think Reina seems awfully happy to have found a kind of kindred spirit in Kumiko, which some might say makes her a hypocrite, only with different taste than most. But on the other, I really like her belief a life without pain or struggle isn't a life at all. One only needs to see Hazuki's struggles this week to understand that. She's all smiles when she meets back up with Sapphire...until she isn't. But she tried; she put her heart on the line. That matters.

Kumiko's life isn't made any simpler by Reina's confession—she's still in a love triangle, just not the one she drew—but that hardly matters right now. On this particular night, she and Reina play the same song they played in middle school—because Reina likes it—and they play beautifully and in perfect harmony. As Sapphire said, all music begins with love, and Reina's desire to be "special", even more special than she already is, is also fueled by love.

In her narration, Kumiko admits to being "sucked in" by this "snow maiden", and feeling like she wouldn't mind "losing her life" to her. Only Reina isn't a yuki-onna; she's a girl who just confessed to her. Kumiko's lack of a good reaction makes Reina repeat her assertion that Kumiko has a "terrible personality", but she means it as a compliment; Reina doesn't want perfect. And reaction or no, Kumiko now knows what it feels like to want or need to go out on a limb; take a risk; lay one's heart bare, even if it might hurt or not work out. I daresay Kumiko lost her innocence this week. So...what will she do now?
May 27, 2015 6:42 AM

Jan 2008
bastek66 said:
Guys, really don't get your hopes. Anime will adapt only 1st book out of 4. There won't be any romantic conclusion in this season and I doubt there will be sequel(s). Expect typical open ending with read the books for more.

May 27, 2015 6:45 AM
May 2015
Yuri Bait :D
May 27, 2015 7:10 AM

Sep 2014
Best episode so far! Great drama and character development, especially for Kosaka. Though I knew Hazuki would get rejected and that he had a thing for the childhood friend Rumiko. We all know how that works out lel. Anyways, hope the romance gets more development too. Can't wait for the next episode.
May 27, 2015 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
bastek66 said:
Guys, really don't get your hopes. Anime will adapt only 1st book out of 4. There won't be any romantic conclusion in this season and I doubt there will be sequel(s). Expect typical open ending with read the books for more.

Everybody should know by now that any kyoani owned works is not going to faithfully adapt they novels, any spoilers are pointless.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 27, 2015 7:34 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a fantastic episode. The casual outfit designs, the voice acting, Reina, ... very enjoyable. Go KyoAni!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 27, 2015 8:29 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
What a sweet episode. The atmosphere towards the end of the episode really made it for me, and the theme used at the end was really satisfying for some reason.

Looking forward to all those Reina x Kumiko images, whether or not KyoAni will ship them. The interaction they have with eachother is so sweet.

This right here though, 10/10:
SnowMay 27, 2015 8:37 AM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
May 27, 2015 8:52 AM

Apr 2013
This episode has got to be a masterpiece. I was so sucked in by it. Gorgeous visuals, fantastic narrating and storytelling and most importantly not leaving out the music. Reina = waifu 10/10.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

May 27, 2015 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
When the episode title said Festival Triangle, I literally facepalmed fearing that my worst fears got realised. Good to know that it wasn't. Actually, it's seeming less like a triangle and more like a quadrilateral. Still, I hope it won't happen. Seriously, KyoAni. Don't fuck this up.

Also, boo! Change back the uniforms or at least change the colors. Also, liked how Hazuki looked when she took off her hair pin, looks way better imo. And Sapphire Jr was too damn cute.
May 27, 2015 9:10 AM

Dec 2008
HikariJake said:
Bakken said:
Best episode so far!

Kumiko - "Doesn't your feet hurt?"
Kousaka - "They hurt. But I don't hate pain."
Kumiko - "What? That's kind of hot."
Kousaka - "Hentai."

Loved this.

Haha That conversation made me lol!

This episode was simply wonderful, 5/5!

I still can't believe just how Kumiko's mind immediately went there xDxD
May 27, 2015 10:26 AM

Apr 2015
Amazing, perfect. 5.0/5.0. Best individual episode since Episode 9 of Yuuki Yuuna.

The pacing was fast yet just right and the lights and animation was beautiful as usual.

Everything has been said, but I have to talk about these scenes- Shuuichi's wry smile and eye-rolling when talking to Kumiko, the raindrop falling from the leaf, 'Hentai!', the water after Shuuichi said the inevitable, Reina's smile, Kumiko's tensely wobbling lips- they are the deft touch of genius, and on their own give such an impression.

I do ship NL, and I believe it will end closer to NL but it's okay if the quality remains this way.
May 27, 2015 10:58 AM

Mar 2014
I'm not really into shoujo-ai but they make it hard for me to resist

May 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Mar 2013
fatalystic said:
straggy said:

She literally said she loved her lmfao. Are you one of those people that says Shinji and Kaworu were just friends?

No one ever said it was eros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_styles

Uh, did you even watch the episode?

A confession of love is always romantic. No one confesses that they love someone platonically and the term "confession" in anime is always used to mean confessing romantic love specifically. Midori even says "You have to confess!" to Hazuki in the same context. So please, keep grasping for those straws.
May 27, 2015 11:13 AM

Mar 2013
Pen3 said:
straggy said:

She literally said she loved her lmfao. Are you one of those people that says Shinji and Kaworu were just friends?

And Kumiko responds with "There's no way you're serious" she doesn't take it seriously and i don't either.

There are tons of anime with bromance that leads to nothing. Seems that it is impossible for some pure women connection without the yuri goggles on. Girls in High School act like that in real life and we finally get an anime that is more "life like" and people instantly think it is yuri. Yes girls in my HS touch each others boobs and i don't think they're lesbians doing so.

She didn't touch her damn boobs, she touched her lips. I've had plenty of female friends--hell, I am a girl--and I can guarantee that girls do not fucking run their fingers along each other's mouths slowly and sensually. That's a romantic action, hands down. You're really desperate to not see this if you can't see that much.

Besides, even if this was magically some "bromance" bullshit like you are desperate for it to be, Kousaka's not a jokey girl. She's very serious and she never smiles unless she's speaking to Kumiko. Those smiles are always incredibly genuine expressions of happiness too, not the aftermath of telling a joke. Hell, even if she was joking, she'd have made it pretty clear that she was at some point during such a long scene. No one takes a confession of love this far unless they mean it, especially when it could jeopardise a friendship/is something you could literally be killed for saying, in case you forgot homophobia exists (which I doubt, since this thread reeks of it).
May 27, 2015 11:13 AM

May 2009
rederoin said:
bastek66 said:

Everybody should know by now that any kyoani owned works is not going to faithfully adapt they novels, any spoilers are pointless.

Wrong. It's not Kyoani LN like Chuu2koi or Kyoukai. They only bought rights to animate it. Episode and whole adaptation is very faithful anyway.
May 27, 2015 11:29 AM
May 2015
That last song was just ahhhh...
so soothing
I was very sad by the rejection of shuuichi . I really wanted to see shuuichi x katou . Leaving that aside what's up with Reina and kumiko . I hope that it doesn't turns out what I am thinking . This episode was good. Katou chan is so good , she just got rejected but lend a helping hand to shuuichi. After Asuka , my favorite is Katou :)
May 27, 2015 11:39 AM

May 2015
ponytail + white one piece thats so unfair
reina was so beautiful
i usually dont support yuri but i might be okay with this one
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2015

180 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 24, 6:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.