Forum Settings
Forums

MALGraph Shutting Down on June 1st -- Can MAL take over?

New
Would you like to have MALGraph become officially part of MyAnimeList?
Apr 14, 2015 11:31 PM
Sep 2012
As some of you probably already know by now, the MALGraph queue will be stopped on MAY 1st - with MALGraph will be official shut down, for good, on June 1st. For those of you that haven't seen the notice, here is it:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373476

So many people that have been on MAL for years have used MALGraph to record their history, sort through their lists, and compare mean scores with other users on MAL. The MALGraph achievements alone have been a major incentive for so many people to watch anime they would not normally have watched as much, if at all. To see MALGraph go would be almost like having the News Section suddenly disappear from MyAnimeList.

I personally would like to see MALGraph continue on as an official part of the MyAnimeList website.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 14, 2015 11:42 PM

Jan 2011
Why not?
Apr 14, 2015 11:46 PM
Sep 2012
It probably wouldn't be MALGraph itself (since MALGraph's code and license are open-sourced) but it could be something very similar to the look and feel of MALGraph. Still better than nothing at all.
Apr 14, 2015 11:48 PM

May 2014
Yeah sucks to see its going to shut down but I really hope the MAL developers will pick it up and manage it... But hey you can wish right?
Apr 15, 2015 12:08 AM

Apr 2014
Well not getting my hopes up, but with MyAnimeList now in different and better hands, maybe we can get a similar new feature in the future.
Apr 15, 2015 12:13 AM
Sep 2012
Protaku94 said:
Well not getting my hopes up, but with MyAnimeList now in different and better hands, maybe we can get a similar new feature in the future.
I sure hope so, though I think MAL's main concern right now is just keeping the site from dying again and dealing with MAL's annual tradition of being regularly hacked twice a year.

I think the 2 most important features of MAlGraph are the achievements and the history tracker. I really hope MAL at least incorporates those two features into MAL.
Apr 15, 2015 12:15 AM

Jul 2012
The coding part shouldn't be that hard, so I don't see why not.
Apr 15, 2015 12:20 AM

Jul 2013
Of course it would have to be done differently since they can't just copy/paste MALgraph into the site, but I would definitely like to see similar features implemented. Achievements, favourites, history... those truly added to MAL.
Then again, I've long since given up on expecting anything from MAL...
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 15, 2015 2:05 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
AiCon said:
I personally would like to see MALGraph continue on as an official part of the MyAnimeList website.

same, although mainly just for those easy stats

I don't really care about the achievements
Apr 15, 2015 2:11 AM

Jul 2012
Tyrantarmy6 said:
Of course it would have to be done differently since they can't just copy/paste MALgraph into the site, but I would definitely like to see similar features implemented. Achievements, favourites, history... those truly added to MAL.

It's because there's barely any active programmers on the staff.
Apr 15, 2015 2:20 AM
Sep 2012
JOAOAA said:
AiCon said:

same, although mainly just for those easy stats

I don't really care about the achievements
I found those achievements drove me to watch more anime that I normally wouldn't bother looking up. LOL
mayukachan said:
Tyrantarmy6 said:

It's because there's barely any active programmers on the staff.
Didn't MAL hire more staff when it became its own company?
Apr 15, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
It's a convenient and excellent statistics tool that enhances the experience of the site a lot. I greatly approve of this.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 15, 2015 2:22 AM

Jan 2009
i voted yes, but i doubt MAL will add this feature
Apr 15, 2015 2:41 AM

Aug 2009
If mal adopt malgraph, we can finnaly get achievements for ecchi, hentai, yaoi, shoujo etc
Apr 15, 2015 3:03 AM

Aug 2009
This would be great. MAL just isn't going to be the same without MALgraph

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 15, 2015 3:28 AM
Apr 2013
MAL doesn't have any obligation to restart MALGraph.... complain to the people who are suddenly taking it away instead of to MAL who have nothing to do with this

Anyway I presume a replacement will be available soon after MALGraph ends, if it even does. Too many people were using it.
Apr 15, 2015 3:42 AM

Jan 2013
AiCon said:
Protaku94 said:
I sure hope so, though I think MAL's main concern right now is just keeping the site from dying again and dealing with MAL's annual tradition of being regularly hacked twice a year.

I think the 2 most important features of MAlGraph are the achievements and the history tracker. I really hope MAL at least incorporates those two features into MAL.

Agreed, the achievements and the history were great.
But since I'm a completionist (as are many others) I think the recommended tab would be a must-have aswell - Since it will show you what shows you probably would want to watch if you had already seen the show it was linked to.
This made it so much easier to keep tabs on what special or OVA I might have missed etc.
Apr 15, 2015 3:44 AM

Aug 2009
HiNT74 said:
MAL doesn't have any obligation to restart MALGraph.... complain to the people who are suddenly taking it away instead of to MAL who have nothing to do with this

Nobody talks about that mal MUST implement mal.oko, it's only your imagination. This thread is about ask guys from MAL to do such a thing, not force them. Meh.
Apr 15, 2015 4:02 AM

Oct 2009
HiNT74 said:
complain to the people who are suddenly taking it away instead of to MAL who have nothing to do with this

The source code is right there, maybe we complain to you that you don't host it and don't spend your personal time supporting it and fixing the code for free? How about that?
Apr 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Jan 2013
Meh

Graphs are for squares
Apr 15, 2015 5:15 AM

Feb 2010

I personally find the favorites tab the second most important feature after the history tracker. I love to compare mean scores for studios, genres, decades, years, amount of episodes and all that fun stuff.
Recommendations/Missing entries page was also great. Achievements are on the lower end of importance for me but still nice to have.

In any case I would greatly appreciate it if MALGraph managed to continue in whatever form. MAL alone has way too little statistical tools for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 15, 2015 5:28 AM

Feb 2010
I'd love to see a MALGraph continue in any possible way. For me, it was the best thing about MAL, along the list themselves and MALUpdater.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Apr 15, 2015 5:35 AM

Sep 2012
Malgraph had the most important function for me and that was recommendations and missing entries. If not for malgraph there is no way to find individual entries and ova I've missed.
I didn't use history graph much but I can see its importance especially people interested in comparing decades. Achievement were nice as well and many time I watched some shows I wouldn't have touched otherwise just to earn them.

Then again I don't have much faith in MAL owners.
Apr 15, 2015 7:09 AM

Nov 2009
I approve. Making the excellent statistics tools of MALgraph an integrated part of the site itself would be a great improvement of its usability - which is why MAL will never bother to do it.
Apr 15, 2015 7:12 AM

Jul 2012
Serhiyko said:
Where's the option "No, someone else should"?

I think this thread is calling out to the programmers of MAL.

Can someone make a checkbox poll of all the functions so I can see which functions people want remade of MAL.OKO?

As for me, the functions I actually used were:
- the one that compared years
- favourite mangaka, studios and genres

AiCon said:

lol if they did, they're not doing any work
MayukaApr 15, 2015 7:20 AM
Apr 15, 2015 7:50 AM

Mar 2013
MALgraph means more to me than MAL's news forum board but I fail to see how you could compare the two in the first place.

Regardless, full support. Having MALgraph features constantly updated would be appreciated.
Apr 15, 2015 8:12 AM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
AiCon said:

lol if they did, they're not doing any work
How are you figuring that?
Apr 15, 2015 10:58 AM

Nov 2011
I used the recommendations to help me remember side entries, I used rating distribution charts and favorites charts, and I was looking forward to the achievements. The history and anime list were less important to me, but I did view them from time to time.

Support.
Apr 15, 2015 11:06 AM

May 2014
I would love to see this happen. It's highly probable that MAL might butcher it, but I would still like a place to store these statistics, and achievements.

Support all the way.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Apr 15, 2015 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
Are they already tearing it down?

I really don't want it to go! :'< supported.
Apr 15, 2015 12:35 PM

Nov 2010
Roth said:
Are they already tearing it down?

I really don't want it to go! :'< supported.
No, that's part of why they're closing it down. They had a problem or MAL had a problem with the database or whatever. I believe it's mentioned on the club's thread OP.
Apr 15, 2015 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
...And a possible fix wasn't considered?

..Okay.
Apr 15, 2015 12:57 PM

Nov 2010
Roth said:

..Okay.
??

"It became too much to maintain for a team of two people busy with their lives. The recent database corruption simply confirmed the fact that MALgraph has become too large for us to keep it alive."
Apr 15, 2015 12:59 PM

Jul 2009
Roth said:

..Okay.
It's the 10th or so major database breakdown, and after a while you just don't have the energy required to keep it up.

A fix was considered - we tried wiping off the database and starting from scratch, but that didn't work, meaning something probably changed on MAL's side and our engine wasn't prepared for that. Two people can only maintain such a large database for so long. Sorry.
Apr 15, 2015 1:00 PM

Dec 2012
Ah sorry, didn't read that. I see.

No need to apologize, thanks for trying at least.
Apr 15, 2015 4:23 PM

Feb 2008
7 years of being on MAL and the only thing I've seen them do for the community is make a mobile version of the website which I have no opinion of right now. That just happened at the beginning of the year after years of everybody asking for it.

It was be awesome if MAL took over MALgraph but I don't see it being saved by June 1st nor do I see them bringing it back after it goes away.
There is so much wrong with this site that I've just resigned to using it to track what I watch since that is the only thing that functions properly on this site.
Apr 15, 2015 4:28 PM

Nov 2010
Kuma-Kuma said:
7 years of being on MAL and the only thing I've seen them do for the community is make a mobile version of the website which I have no opinion of right now. That just happened at the beginning of the year after years of everybody asking for it.

It was be awesome if MAL took over MALgraph but I don't see it being saved by June 1st nor do I see them bringing it back after it goes away.
There is so much wrong with this site that I've just resigned to using it to track what I watch since that is the only thing that functions properly on this site.
You must not have used the site that much in the recent time. They've fixed a lot of things lately, MAL is no longer owned by Crave who is the company that bought it in 2008 and wouldn't implement or really fix anything. They made the mobile site soon after taking ownership of the site. Here's some of their most recent fixes: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1367326 And what doesn't function correctly?

And MAL doesn't need to take over MALgraph, really anyone who has the know how can.
Apr 15, 2015 4:59 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not discussing what doesn't function properly on this thread as it is not on topic.

Actually MAL would have to take it over because the people who run MALgraph now said the application has been banned by MAL a few times already for trying to update the database the multiple times it has gotten corrupted plus all the users that it use causes too many connections per second which looks like someone or something is trying to hack the system and we all know how many times MAL has been hacked.
Apr 15, 2015 5:01 PM

Mar 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
And what doesn't function correctly?
Well Obviously MAL sig generator does not update. I consider that as not working.

As for MAL graph. I didn't really use it.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 15, 2015 5:10 PM

Jun 2010
j0x said:

my words, exactly.

We should lure those self-entitled "popular users" that are always "contributing" to the community to create a PayPal account, set a .moe domain and host it themselves. I'd support that ...but with my emotional presence, not money, money is up to them.
Apr 15, 2015 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
Rasco said:
IntroverTurtle said:
And what doesn't function correctly?
Well Obviously MAL sig generator does not update. I consider that as not working.

There are alternatives for a MAL updating sig.
Apr 15, 2015 5:16 PM

Mar 2010
mayukachan said:
Rasco said:

Yes. But that's not my point. I was pointing out that The sig not updating is something that is not functioning and it needs attention to keep the site consistent.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 15, 2015 5:16 PM

Feb 2008
mayukachan said:
Rasco said:

There are but the MAL signature actually belongs to MAL and it doesn't even work. Talk about a big fail on their part.
Apr 15, 2015 5:18 PM

Jan 2013
xbobx said:
j0x said:

my words, exactly.

We should lure those self-entitled "popular users" that are always "contributing" to the community to create a PayPal account, set a .moe domain and host it themselves. I'd support that ...but with my emotional presence, not money, money is up to them.
solvit earliar was advert myanimelist to get on .moe serv bfore

noooone semed to care
Apr 15, 2015 5:20 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yes, that'd be great. Hovering on the 'profile' tab and seeing 'stats' on the drop-down menu or something...
Apr 15, 2015 5:22 PM

Nov 2010
Kuma-Kuma said:
mayukachan said:

There are but the MAL signature actually belongs to MAL and it doesn't even work. Talk about a big fail on their part.
A big fail on their part for disabling the sigs purposefully to possibly help with lag?

And I thought you weren't going to discuss off topic stuff anymore.
Apr 15, 2015 5:32 PM

Jun 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Kuma-Kuma said:

A big fail on their part for disabling the sigs purposefully to possibly help with lag?

So, you're actually denying that one failure is a failure because it was purposefully disabled ...to fixing another failure?
You do realize this is duck-tape engineering, right?
Apr 15, 2015 5:39 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Kuma-Kuma said:

someone else mentioned it first hence I didn't cause the topic to go off course.

and speaking of lag. MAL won't take on MALgraph because of the stress it will cause on the servers rather than upgrading the servers. I know servers are expensive as ever and MAL is only making money on the ads which I am guilty of blocking as are many members but maybe MAL should start taking donations again since it no longer belongs to Crave. I'm sure there are plenty of members who would be willing to donate so long as we knew how much new servers cost and everything was transparent as far as donations go.
Apr 15, 2015 5:53 PM

Jan 2011
Hell, at the very least can we implement the mismatched series check?
Apr 15, 2015 7:06 PM

Aug 2012
I say make a poll to determine which features the users want the most. Just in case our devs decided to integrate it, then they'll know what functions to prioritize coding.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» forum rules and blogs

leyaf - 2 hours ago

0 by leyaf »»
2 hours ago

» way to look further back into history

iikookv_ - Oct 28, 2020

5 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 1:24 AM

» Ability to see if an anime has a dub or is subbed

Goblingaming - May 3

0 by Goblingaming »»
May 3, 1:35 PM

» [QoL] Allow more than 9 items in My Last List Updates

anonymate - Mar 25

3 by anonymate »»
May 3, 12:51 PM

» Being able to choose which image/cover/poster to display

p6w - Jun 21, 2023

14 by Ayres »»
May 3, 8:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.