Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 2, 2009 12:55 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very funny episode in various ways..
Some impressively expressive skills they have:

So next episode will be swimsuit-episode? How come they are all airing those swimsuit episodes now in winter?
Dec 2, 2009 2:12 PM

Sep 2008
Proselyt said:
So next episode will be swimsuit-episode? How come they are all airing those swimsuit episodes now in winter?
leik yarly dey shuldnt show swimsuit animes cuz itz winter.

Anyways, the episode almost got me fully-teared up. I wanted somebody to punch Sumi-chan for not clearing things up and making Aoi cry. I mean she's just so adorable; I just want to hold her an never let go.

Sure I might feel bad for Ushio in some bark corner of my heart, but I really hope we see more of Aoi the next episode, I wonder if she'll show up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2009 5:00 PM

Jul 2008
They're going to have to get off this one-chapter-one-episode correspondence if they want to fit Lotte-chan in a 13-episode series.

Let me rephrase that: I want them to fit Lotte-chan into this 13-episode series, so they damn well better get off this one-chapter-one-episode correspondence. Or it'll be August, 1945 all over again.
Dec 2, 2009 5:03 PM

Sep 2009
A very nice episode for Aoi. I hope we see a lot more of her.

We still need more Masaki.
Dec 2, 2009 5:46 PM
Jun 2008
I think I cringed during that scene where Aoi started crying. It was seriously heavy stuff. I mean, for a light-hearted comedy, they touched on something very, very emotional. I mean, really... think about it. Azusa has no friends, she's lonely, and the one person she thought was even interested in her existence ignores her and forgets about her.

I could cry for her. It's a lonely, depressing thing to think about, honestly.

A lot of the manga fans hate Aoi mostly because they think she likes Sumi. But I don't think she's someone to be hated. I think she's got some strong feelings for Sumi, but not of the in-love romantic variety. More like the romantic two-girl friendship variety. You know, the pure maidenly feelings business you find in Marimite. She wants a friend like that. So I can understand why she's so obsessed with Sumi.

While it's not Sumi's fault she hurt Aoi's feelings, it is kind of insensitive of her to get so wrapped up in Kazama that she doesn't notice that she's hurting someone else.

All in all, depressing as hell episode.

Though that hand-signals bit slayed me.

EDIT:

Kiyori's still the best character in the anime. HA HA HA.
Dec 2, 2009 7:03 PM

Sep 2007
I still feel, that Aoi crying so hard is a bit too much, but that might be because I like the "I have to surpress my feelings, yet I somehow can't stop my tears coming out" type of crying more. Btw I realized that it's always Tomoe who gets to say some cool stuff in serious scenes.

I always wondered... in Japan are kids under 18 allowed to sell/serve alcohol? Cos I know for sure it's not allowed here, but it's not the first anime/manga where I have seen a teenaged character taking care of the liquor store.
Dec 2, 2009 10:49 PM

Jun 2008
What an epic feat of nonverbal communication. Still needs moar delicious trappage.

I especially liked the song that was playing when Aoi was walking home from school.
Dec 2, 2009 11:31 PM

Apr 2009
the second half of that episode was really tough to watch,... but in a good way I guess.

Am I right in assuming Sumi forgot about Kazama?

Also, the face Aoi made when she finished her novel was a little creepy.
Dec 3, 2009 4:43 AM

Oct 2009
The beginning was obvious a form of bullying to Aoi from those class mates and found it pretty lame to impose of them these things...should have just followed the deathlines of the fanzine...I am sure Aoi had her reasons to impose it. Obvious *laugh* at Sumika/Kazama sign language communication about the whole brother secret author thing. When will Tomoe/Miyako give up the girl's club....it will not happen, maybe but who knows. Aoi sure has a nice imagination of Sumika x Aoi...I like it, it is innocent and not ecchi like some of Sumika's like Kazama in bikini. I really did like Aoi's room intro, store showing and family...good information about her there. That was cruel of Sumika to forget her promise to Aoi but also Sumika was so nice, gentle and regretting by using her hand to wipe Aoi's tears that one mistake she made here and this for me was T_T (yeah I am a guy and for a first time it happened in this episode really hard): Another plus for a guy like me of Kazama' nice body in a bikini and still too bad she only like girls
Also like the parents of Aoi but I am wondering if she feels ashamed of them and why she wears glasses when her family does not....did she watch too much TV/computer she was small to damage her eyes?
I will leave it at that but very emotional episode with Sumika/Aoi.
Proselyt said:
Very funny episode in various ways..
Some impressively expressive skills they have:

That was a very funny part Proselyt, found it as a great idea to have in this anime...sign language.
SunyiNyufi said:
I still feel, that Aoi crying so hard is a bit too much, but that might be because I like the "I have to surpress my feelings, yet I somehow can't stop my tears coming out" type of crying more. Btw I realized that it's always Tomoe who gets to say some cool stuff in serious scenes.

Aoi crying hard was just to show how hurt she was SunyiNyufi....to me it made a impact and think of it as a direct dagger coming out from the computer screen into my heart...recently a lot of animes have done that well on me when a crying like that was done....Umineko had some moments like that.
SunyiNyufi said:
I always wondered... in Japan are kids under 18 allowed to sell/serve alcohol? Cos I know for sure it's not allowed here, but it's not the first anime/manga where I have seen a teenaged character taking care of the liquor store.
I wondered too....maybe not if it's the parents store, just they are not allowed to consume any. I would say it's a dangerous job for a girl like Aoi...what would happen if a drunk person came to buy alcohol?
tehnominator said:
I think I cringed during that scene where Aoi started crying. It was seriously heavy stuff. I mean, for a light-hearted comedy, they touched on something very, very emotional. I mean, really... think about it. Azusa has no friends, she's lonely, and the one person she thought was even interested in her existence ignores her and forgets about her.

I could cry for her. It's a lonely, depressing thing to think about, honestly.

I had a similar maybe even heavier reaction like you at that part. More so with the music playing when she was going home alone as it already set the mood for what would follow for me.
tehnominator said:
A lot of the manga fans hate Aoi mostly because they think she likes Sumi. But I don't think she's someone to be hated. I think she's got some strong feelings for Sumi, but not of the in-love romantic variety. More like the romantic two-girl friendship variety. You know, the pure maidenly feelings business you find in Marimite. She wants a friend like that. So I can understand why she's so obsessed with Sumi.

I don't hate her at all, I hate more Kazama in the sense she does not see what she is supposed to in Sumika....it's like those characters that do not realize love....Kazama is nice but sometimes that's how I feel about her. Same thing for Yuuto in Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu.
tehnominator said:
While it's not Sumi's fault she hurt Aoi's feelings, it is kind of insensitive of her to get so wrapped up in Kazama that she doesn't notice that she's hurting someone else.

All in all, depressing as hell episode.
I do think it's her fault....she forgot a promise she made....even if did not make a serious commitment to it....she should have not been wrapped up with Kazama to forget something that would someone. Reminds of a part of my life that because of that a animal died on our farm...because I was so much into things with my friends around the 13 year old age. Never good to forget promises.
francismeunierDec 3, 2009 4:56 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Dec 3, 2009 8:11 AM
Jun 2008
SunyiNyufi said:

No idea, but if you pay attention to Aoi's neighbourhood, she lives in a shopping district, so it seems that people all know her and her family's store, so if she mans the counter for a bit, I don't think anyone would care.

I dunno, people from various communities function in different ways. I used to buy cigarettes for my dad when I was a kid and I went to the nearby shops, and the shopkeepers sold it to me because:

1. They knew it was for my dad.

2. They knew me, and knew I was a good kid just running an errand.

It's very family-like, especially when you live in one of those rustic shopping districts where everyone knows everyone. For a better grasp of the concept of these places, I'd recommend the anime Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
Dec 3, 2009 9:33 AM

Jun 2008
SunyiNyufi said:
I think you are allowed to drink alcohol with 20 (that's why you'll find no anime in which minors are drinking real alcohol - it's prohibited), but as there are lot's of part time jobs in anime in which minors serve alcohol for example in bars, i guess that may be legal. By the way you can easily buy beer at a vending machine at a lot of places there - no one checks your age.
As long as you are not drinking publicly no one cares.
When i first was in Japan i was 16 and they'd serve me any liquor. Maybe they really don't care at all.
Dec 3, 2009 10:02 AM

Sep 2007
Well In understand the rural-shopping district part, but still, here you can't really do it, at least not with alcohol. With smokes yeah, cos they are allowed after you turn 14 I think. But I guess Japan is a different country. Well it's not like you can't get any alcohol here if you're under 18, cos you are allowed to go wine tasting and such lol.

Btw I went to buy cigarettes for my dad too :P
Dec 3, 2009 3:03 PM

Feb 2009
I found this episode to be way deeper than it looked. Firstly, everyone complained at Aoi would get in the way, and she did, but she did it in such a good way I take more pity on her for her own unrequited love than I do for Misaka. It's completely understandable to be misunderstood for things you like, and then on top of that she spent all that time trying to impress Misaka and got brushed off, for Kazama, AGAIN.

Seriously, this whole obsession with only Kazama is becoming a bit foolish. Not only has Misaka completely ignored and abused Akemiya's feelings, but now Aoi's too, and Kazama hasn't even shown a bit of feeling back. It's like this dumb love square that isn't going anywhere, and it's starting to piss me off. And actually, I think it was dumb for Kazama to once again get the wrong idea about things, I mean, if you're not interested in Misaka, then why do you care?

But on a side note, Tomoe's character of being the mature one with all the wisdom is very refreshing, she's about the only sane one in this group.

Dec 3, 2009 9:02 PM
Sep 2007
I have yet to see what's so great about Kazama.
Dec 4, 2009 2:12 AM
Jun 2008
ๅฆ„ๆƒณ~ delusion
ๆƒณๅƒ~ imagination

delusion is the upgrade version of imagination

~.~
MorningGloryDec 4, 2009 2:36 AM
Dec 4, 2009 2:47 AM

Sep 2007
Psajdak said:
Seeing that we only have 4 eps to go, I doubt you will be able to see it, though in the manga there is a flash back that lasts several chapters and introduces us to how Sumika and Ushio became friends, and how Sumika has fallen in love with Ushio.
Dec 4, 2009 3:35 AM

Oct 2009
SunyiNyufi said:
Psajdak said:
Seeing that we only have 4 eps to go, I doubt you will be able to see it, though in the manga there is a flash back that lasts several chapters and introduces us to how Sumika and Ushio became friends, and how Sumika has fallen in love with Ushio.
Hey that is interesting....any chance they might put it in this anime? Also the yuri festival.....is there something like that in the real world and not boys allowed...strange gay festivals everyone is allowed to watch the parade so why not see the Yuri festival?

Dec 4, 2009 5:04 AM
Sep 2007
SunyiNyufi said:
Actually, I was talking about how Kazama is boring and uninteresting character.

Compared to others (Akemiya included), she had nothing that makes her entertaing in this comedy.

She's too plain; reminds me a little about Nico Robin from One Piece who is also pretty much >>normal<< among her crewmates/friends, but in no way is she just plain and without that something which makes her likeable among fans.
Dec 4, 2009 5:56 PM

Feb 2009
That was like wow... I haven't slept well so gues hard to talk about it but loved the ep and somehow hates the same time ^^'.
Dec 5, 2009 1:52 AM

Feb 2009
Imo it wasn't realy good compared to previous,but it wasn't bad either.
I guess in the end it will be like that...Kazama will realize that she have always loved Sumika,but Sumika will remain unaware of that till the very last moment and then...something happens,all secrets revealed...happy end :/

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Dec 5, 2009 2:08 AM

Sep 2007
francismeunier said:
Hey that is interesting....any chance they might put it in this anime? Also the yuri festival.....is there something like that in the real world and not boys allowed...strange gay festivals everyone is allowed to watch the parade so why not see the Yuri festival?Dunno if guys aren't allowed or not, but there are several yuri related events in Japan where fans can buy yuri doujinshi, manga and such.

Psajdak said:
Actually, I was talking about how Kazama is boring and uninteresting character.

Compared to others (Akemiya included), she had nothing that makes her entertaing in this comedy.

She's too plain; reminds me a little about Nico Robin from One Piece who is also pretty much >>normal<< among her crewmates/friends, but in no way is she just plain and without that something which makes her likeable among fans.
Indeed her comedy aspect isn't really coming over in the anime, then again the whole anime is not a comedy, although the original manga is. She is far more crazy in the original, going after every cute girl she sees. I can only hope that her character gets some development, but since it only happens in the recent manga chapters, the anime will probably not cover it >_>
Dec 6, 2009 10:05 AM

Oct 2007
I enjoy this show but all the characters at one point or another I want to kick in the head. Maybe that's because I am growing old and have become more and more direct with my love interests though I am still learning. Something about Aoi's personality really grates me. I still get that aura from her like she thinks she's better than others. Maybe that's why she was isolated in the first place or why I couldn't stand her reaction to Tomoe at first. At the end, I felt a little bad for her but more so her parents reaction to her loud outburst. Only thing I could see being really good for her character to be there is that Kazama is getting jealous. Hopefully, she'll realize how important Sumi is to her cause at times it seems like she takes advantage without really knowing or thinking she is. I'm hoping that Sumi goes with Aoi to drive that point home.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Dec 6, 2009 2:12 PM

Jan 2009
I liked the episode, it felt... kind of familliar. I wanted to bash with a hammer Aoi's mother at one point - when she mentioned the festival and the "friend". It's not like she did something wrong but she said it at the worst possible time without knowing it, of course, so it made me mad - "been there, done that" as they say... Sometimes our parents can be so cruel without even realising it.

Looking forward to Kazama's jealousy, about time she does something in this show that would make me... uh... notice her?

The code conversation was epic.
Nao-staniDec 6, 2009 2:15 PM
Dec 6, 2009 2:28 PM
Jun 2008
Since you guys seem to like it:

Dec 6, 2009 2:31 PM

Oct 2009
tehnominator said:

Saved! :D

Dec 6, 2009 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
E
francismeunier said:
tehnominator said:

Saved! :D

Epic xDDD
Dec 6, 2009 4:02 PM

Jan 2009
tehnominator said:

*save as*
Dec 7, 2009 3:14 AM
Feb 2009
tehnominator said:
Kiyori's still the best character in the anime. HA HA HA.

Seriously, for me, the best line in the episode is when Tomoe relayed Kiyori's refusal and mimiced her voice. Ha ha ha!
Dec 8, 2009 8:23 PM

Sep 2009
That .gif is /amazing/. I saved it. Twice.

This episode definitely tugged on my heart strings. Tomoe is still hilarious, and Kazama only spoke like 4 lines (not counting the extensive sign language conversation).

Pretty enjoyable side story thing. Here's to hoping the last few episodes are gold.
-
Dec 9, 2009 8:45 AM
Nov 2008
So I was completely lost on what happened in this episode. Sumi clearly forgot something related to Aoi...but what? Aoi had all these crazy expectations running through her head at the beginning of the vacation, but when did Aoi ask Sumi for anything? And what was she expecting when she approached Sumi with the manuscript? Did I miss it?
Dec 9, 2009 9:32 AM

Jan 2009
I don't remember it really well anymore but it's about the thing she asked her when Sumi was too busy to entertain us with her code messages to Kazama. I didn't notice it either at first, got to rewind there.
Dec 10, 2009 10:53 PM

Dec 2007
Nice development for Aoi so it was good episode.
Dec 16, 2009 6:55 AM

Mar 2009
Liked it it was sad and very funny at the same time.

Dec 18, 2009 10:56 PM

Apr 2008
the front part was epic .. both of them making funny poses xD sign lauguages HAHA

Dec 19, 2009 3:04 AM

Jan 2008

the poster. marimate.

Dec 20, 2009 4:04 AM

Aug 2008
I may be a little generous giving this a 4, but I did enjoy this episode. Murasame being there at the end for Aoi was a special moment. Aoi did a decent job carrying this episode.

DKJ

DKJ!
Jan 16, 2010 1:13 PM

Dec 2007
tehnominator said:

I just love it XD It's even funnier to see it animated.

Sumi decides to fullfil her-kind of- promice to Aoi and sacrifices seeing Kasama in a swimsuit. Such a nice person she is.
Dec 19, 2011 5:49 AM

Dec 2011
imho:
3/3=MainPlot
1/1=SidePlot
3/3=Lack of Bland Moments
3/3=Art/Vid/Mus
2/2=Voices(Original)
12/12=Total->[A+]
Signature:
Mar 11, 2012 12:52 PM

Aug 2010
My heat broke in half, I think I'm too involved in this.
Jul 26, 2012 11:23 AM

Feb 2012
Emotive, but felt superfluous. Just get back to the main story, damnit, Janet.
Jan 28, 2013 5:16 PM

Oct 2011
god, I really dislike Aoi, and this extrem overreaction o.O as if it was that big of a deal that Sumi forgot something..
and now Ushio has to suffer because Sumi forgot about her because of Aoi <.<
Aug 16, 2014 7:37 AM

Aug 2013
I feel so bad for Aoi. She finally met someone she can relate with only to be ignored and forgotten :/ It's not overreaction at all, it's completely normal. She was passionate about something but she doesn't have anyone to talk to about it. In comes Comrade Sumi-chan whom she thought totally gets her. Then it falls apart. If anything, Ushio deserves to suffer. Sumi-chan's been there for her from the start but she's just too dense to realize that. Don't know what you got til it's gone.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 23, 2014 10:40 PM
Bunnies ๐Ÿ“

Jan 2013
I felt bad for Aoi, Sumi forgot about the event, but good thing she apologized at the end. All that writing, editing, brainstorming, printing, I'd be mad and sad if my partner refused to help me. I am curious if Aoi's been doing that every year.

Aug 8, 2015 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
I feel strangely pissed off at Aoi

BUT HEY

That's what she gets for being a lonely bastard HAHAHAHA

#thuglyf #dontbeamangaka
Sep 26, 2015 2:42 PM

Aug 2013
saxophone15 said:
A very nice episode for Aoi. I hope we see a lot more of her.

I don't care about her, totally don't care. I don't like her at all, she is boring.
I even skipped some parts with her.
rsc-plSep 26, 2015 2:46 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 18, 2015 7:10 PM

Dec 2013
Kazama and Murasame's charade was really funny lol. Episode for Aoi, quite sad for her since she don't have much friends. Let's see what will happen to the yuri event

โ˜…โ”โ”โ”€
๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต?
๐˜ž๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ?

Nov 6, 2015 8:31 PM

Jun 2010
An unexpected hit for this somewhat bland series. Aoi could easily have been the obnoxious otaku stereotype who won't shut up about her fantasy yuri novels but instead it gives her a very sympathetic treatment as a lonely and creative girl.

I like that she's apparently not another lesbian, lest this show fall into the Every Girl is Gay thing a typical yuri show does. Her love for typically non-sexualized yuri stories seems to indicate an interest in close female friendship which makes perfect sense for someone with no friends.

It got too heavy-handed in places, like outright stating that she has no friends and the screaming and crying, but it was a successful personal story in general.
Nov 25, 2015 3:07 PM

Feb 2010
Fronzel said:
An unexpected hit for this somewhat bland series. Aoi could easily have been the obnoxious otaku stereotype who won't shut up about her fantasy yuri novels but instead it gives her a very sympathetic treatment as a lonely and creative girl.

I like that she's apparently not another lesbian, lest this show fall into the Every Girl is Gay thing a typical yuri show does. Her love for typically non-sexualized yuri stories seems to indicate an interest in close female friendship which makes perfect sense for someone with no friends.

It got too heavy-handed in places, like outright stating that she has no friends and the screaming and crying, but it was a successful personal story in general.

That's interesting. I thought she was was "pure" lesbian (asexual or just not interested so much as Sumi).

@episode
... uh, this scene with Aoi & sign language was artificial & dumb. They make Sumi some kind of person without feelings. She was with Akemiya because she felt pity for him. Now she ignored Aoi.
May 28, 2016 9:46 PM

Jan 2016
This is the second bland episode in a row. It's going to be a challenge for me not to drop this series at this point. Call it subjective, but there was absolutely nothing in this episode to like until the last couple of minutes. Same girl they threw in without reasoning, expected plotline, uncomfortable and boring as heck to watch, and a grand total of 8* seconds of Ushio's appearance...a main character. Touched my heart at the last couple of minutes, but that was the only thing that prevented this episode from being a complete blunder.

3/10
Jan 26, 2017 10:31 PM

Sep 2013
tehnominator said:

Best part. Hahahaha and I haven't even finish the episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarcyD - Dec 30, 2009

127 by euls »»
Apr 14, 12:16 AM

» Who the $@#% thought this was a good way to end this series?!?

KingYoshi - Apr 8, 2013

10 by stockhousing »»
Jan 31, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 4 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Oct 28, 2009

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 12 Discussion

Proselyt - Dec 23, 2009

31 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:46 PM

Poll: » Sasameki Koto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Dec 16, 2009

58 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 11, 2022 8:17 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.