Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 8, 2014 5:20 PM

May 2011
The fact that almost everyone missed that the mother was mentally ill is quiet shocking. Her body language and behavior make it clear that she is suffering from something, likely (postpartum) depression. Knowing that you should love someone deeply and being completely unable to do so would be an extremely scary and upsetting experience, yet everyone is only seeing her as selfish.
Mushishi tends to blame many psychological issues on mushi, so my first reaction was that Ginko would see a mushi inside the mother as well, I was surprised when that wasn't the case. Despite that it's a very powerful and real story.
Dec 9, 2014 12:51 AM

Oct 2013
EpicRemy said:
The fact that almost everyone missed that the mother was mentally ill is quiet shocking. Her body language and behavior make it clear that she is suffering from something, likely (postpartum) depression. Knowing that you should love someone deeply and being completely unable to do so would be an extremely scary and upsetting experience, yet everyone is only seeing her as selfish.
Mushishi tends to blame many psychological issues on mushi, so my first reaction was that Ginko would see a mushi inside the mother as well, I was surprised when that wasn't the case. Despite that it's a very powerful and real story.

This.

I guess some people lack the knowledge or life experience to understand it? Idk... There are many in this thread that got it though, that's surely not everyone
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Dec 9, 2014 10:57 AM

Aug 2014
I was half expecting them both to die. She's just got a case of kotomine-itus is all.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 9, 2014 5:01 PM

Oct 2006
I'm so angry right now... that really hit hard.

were we watching the same thing? Thats not how it happened at all. Because of the mushi inside him, the lightning would falll where he was, as in his location. He attracted lightning. Which means that would endanger the people around him, which is why he used to go to that tree which was a safe distance away from his own house (and his parents) as well as the villagers.

That's what Ginko tells the mom. Her mom's explanation, that he goes out to attract lightning because he hates her was complete BS because she didn't understand his reason, until Ginko explained it to her. He was saving their (and her) ass. That's why he pushed her away at the end, not because he did not want to die with someone who didn't love him. He was saving his mother. And everybody else.

I wish I was as tough as that kid. He's my new inspiration.

I'm baffled by some of the comments here, and how this episode did not seem to faze people. I had goosebumps at least 3 times during the episode, and I felt that it was one of the most moving Mushishi episodes. Excellent, even by Mushihsi standards. Which is saying a lot.

100% agree with your post. Reki obviously did care and it's literally spelled out that he protected his mother by Ginko. Not sure what the other posters were watching.
niwasatouDec 9, 2014 5:07 PM
Dec 9, 2014 8:05 PM

Dec 2009
Seriously fuck this mother
Dec 9, 2014 8:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
soundscape said:
EpicRemy said:

This.

I guess some people lack the knowledge or life experience to understand it? Idk... There are many in this thread that got it though, that's surely not everyone

I agree. Honestly I missed it at first too when I was watching it, but as I typed out my own thoughts on this episode, I was able to separate from my emotions and take a step back to look at the bigger picture. By the end of my post after describing Shino as being very apathetic yet still able to see that something was wrong with her, I realized that that was a symptom of depression (as well as the very obvious one, her suicide attempt). It's easy to judge from your POV and based on what you know, but a lot of times people are unable to look past what they see and analyze the circumstance that a character is in or has faced. I feel like this episode of Mushishi separates the people who are able to look deeper and empathize versus the people who only see the surface.
tingyDec 9, 2014 8:41 PM
Dec 10, 2014 12:05 AM

Oct 2013
niwasatou said:
I'm so angry right now... that really hit hard.

were we watching the same thing? Thats not how it happened at all. Because of the mushi inside him, the lightning would falll where he was, as in his location. He attracted lightning. Which means that would endanger the people around him, which is why he used to go to that tree which was a safe distance away from his own house (and his parents) as well as the villagers.

That's what Ginko tells the mom. Her mom's explanation, that he goes out to attract lightning because he hates her was complete BS because she didn't understand his reason, until Ginko explained it to her. He was saving their (and her) ass. That's why he pushed her away at the end, not because he did not want to die with someone who didn't love him. He was saving his mother. And everybody else.

I'm baffled by some of the comments here, and how this episode did not seem to faze people. I had goosebumps at least 3 times during the episode, and I felt that it was one of the most moving Mushishi episodes. Excellent, even by Mushihsi standards. Which is saying a lot.

100% agree with your post. Reki obviously did care and it's literally spelled out that he protected his mother by Ginko. Not sure what the other posters were watching.

It is indeed baffling but because people can look at the same thing and see different views, we have a very interesting and limitless world around us. But it never stops surprising me how can someone not see something that for you is obvious...

For me it was an incredible, powerful and sad episode. Along with ep2 it is my favorite of this season. The inspiration that kid was, is nothing short from amazing. And how sad that his mom never(probably) managed to love him and change herself...
vedatsvetDec 10, 2014 12:10 AM
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Dec 11, 2014 2:52 PM

Jan 2014
This episode was double sad, as the guy Shino was set up to marry actually didn't seem all that bad a husband or father.

pakoko said:
Second consecutive depressing episode... I can't personally relate to the mother so I hated her guts for being so selfish and stubborn, but I can sorta understand that you can't force yourself to love something or someone.

Well, it's still odd. Even if she didn't want the child or the relationship it came from, usually once a child is born the mother still loves it. Even in extreme cases such a rape, if the child is born the mother often loves it, she might hate it as well, but she still loves it. Though it can be cruel, nature just works that way. I'm guessing that Shino is suffering from postpartum depression (on top of her not wanting the child in the first place, and probably allready being depressed). That's the only explanation I have.

leslie7622 said:
Ok what was that last scene about? Was that his umbilical cord that Reki was holding? Did he take it so that his mother couldn't find it? Did he not want to get rid of the mushi?

Yeah, is that a thing in Japan, do you preserve a baby's umbilical cord?

EDIT:
veluriel said:
(...)

Just read Veluriel's post and yeah, post parting depression is a terrible, terribly incomprehensible, but very real condition. And while I also think she might have been more susceptible to it due to her prior state of mind, this can happen with perfectly happy and excited mothers too. In either case, it is not something that you choose or even "had coming", you have absolutely no control. So, assuming we're right about her condition, this makes Shino probably the most pittiable character this episode, perhaps of the entire show.
LaionidasDec 11, 2014 2:59 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 12, 2014 10:35 AM
Feb 2013
tingy said:
soundscape said:

This.

I agree. Honestly I missed it at first too when I was watching it, but as I typed out my own thoughts on this episode, I was able to separate from my emotions and take a step back to look at the bigger picture. By the end of my post after describing Shino as being very apathetic yet still able to see that something was wrong with her, I realized that that was a symptom of depression (as well as the very obvious one, her suicide attempt). It's easy to judge from your POV and based on what you know, but a lot of times people are unable to look past what they see and analyze the circumstance that a character is in or has faced. I feel like this episode of Mushishi separates the people who are able to look deeper and empathize versus the people who only see the surface.

Such small print! ;-)

I largely agree with you and veluriel, who explained it very well. That said, it's easy to mistake her (the mothers') reaction as one of spite and she being a bitch, because of the mention of her arranged marriage - and...well, her attempted murder of her son, which, granted, goes further then just being apathetic and suffering from a depression. That said, similar acts (a parent murdering their young children) still happens today in real life too, so it's not like it doesn't or can't happen.

What is less understandable in the reactions to this episode - which is one of the best of the series as yet, imho, and has the originality to go away from the trodden happy-end-path - is the fact that a number of people completely - and I mean completely - missed many of the core elements and drives of the characters and the story as a whole, let alone the symbolic aspects of it. I don't know how some can get it SO wrong, and yet watched the same episode. "The kid pushed his mother because he didn't want to die with someone who didn't love him?" WTF? How can people be so bad in interpreting the story and the characters, the more so because Genko actually pretty much explicitly explained things.

'Comprehensive watching' isn't something that all people are capable off, apparently...
Dec 12, 2014 5:11 PM

Oct 2014
Wow, this one hit me in the gut. I too had a child that I did not want. But unlike this mother, I could not help but love my baby in spite of everything. My heart went out to that boy who only wanted his mother to love him, but also to that mother because I wanted her to love him so badly. How could she not, especially after she found out he'd been saving them all this time? But on the other hand, I don't think she was being selfish, she was just broken and unable to feel for some reason. She wanted to feel but could not---and that I can relate to as well. I love my children fiercely and I thank God for them every day despite the unfortunate circumstances that led up to their conception that I wish I had done differently. Yet I think can understand why another might not have that kind of strength or presence of mind, so I don't fault her there. Because there are lots of times in most other areas of my life that I just don't feel anything at all. At least she was able to embrace the child and tell him the truth. That is better than lying to him. And that she hoped she could be a better person in the next life. She admitted she was wrong. But there's one other thing that bothered me... who tied the boy to the tree? He was calling to her for help...
Dec 13, 2014 8:25 AM

Jan 2011
serendipityarise said:
Wow, this one hit me in the gut. I too had a child that I did not want. But unlike this mother, I could not help but love my baby in spite of everything. My heart went out to that boy who only wanted his mother to love him, but also to that mother because I wanted her to love him so badly. How could she not, especially after she found out he'd been saving them all this time? But on the other hand, I don't think she was being selfish, she was just broken and unable to feel for some reason. She wanted to feel but could not---and that I can relate to as well. I love my children fiercely and I thank God for them every day despite the unfortunate circumstances that led up to their conception that I wish I had done differently. Yet I think can understand why another might not have that kind of strength or presence of mind, so I don't fault her there. Because there are lots of times in most other areas of my life that I just don't feel anything at all. At least she was able to embrace the child and tell him the truth. That is better than lying to him. And that she hoped she could be a better person in the next life. She admitted she was wrong. But there's one other thing that bothered me... who tied the boy to the tree? He was calling to her for help...

Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel more sympathetic to the mom. I also wondered why the child was tied to the tree. I thought he was being punished by his mom and that's why he got infected with the mushi. I'm not sure if they explained it though. It was a good episode.
Dec 13, 2014 3:34 PM

Nov 2010
I feel bad for Reki for getting child abused that harsh by Shino it's actually murder
Still he cares enough to protect the villagers and his mother

Nothing justifies this even pre arranged marriage
Dec 14, 2014 4:16 PM
Jul 2012
1lau said:
I feel bad for Reki for getting child abused that harsh by Shino it's actually murder
Still he cares enough to protect the villagers and his mother

Nothing justifies this even pre arranged marriage

It's like you didn't even read anything anyone else said for the last four pages.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Dec 15, 2014 10:04 PM

Jan 2008
Glad she didn't have some cliche change of heart there at the end.

Love isn't unconditional, not even when its parent and child.
Dec 17, 2014 1:48 AM

Oct 2013
serendipityarise said:

I appreciate this post so much. My heart was so heavy from this episode, and I feel like reading this made it explode. ;_;

This episode took on more of a "show, don't tell" approach, leading some of the events to be rather vague, but the way I understood it, Reki's mother is the one who tied him to the tree in an attempt to kill him - hence why she was trying to block the sound of his cries.

The direction, execution, and the themes in this episode were truly phenomenal. Mushishi yet again proves how well it has mastered the ability to portray real life issues in an art form. It was so poignant, beautiful, and thought provoking. It feels like the flip side of the previous episode; the mother in episode 7 lost her son who meant everything to her, and the mother in this episode lost her son who meant nothing to her.

As much as I truly sympathize with the mother, I find her actions and thoughts truly and utterly despicable. If my interpretation is right, she tried to kill her living, breathing son just because she was forced into an arranged marriage. I understand the deep emotional turmoil she endured, but people ultimately have absolute control over their own actions, and there is not a single thing to justify a number of them. That said, between Reki's selfless attempts at self-sacrifice, painful loneliness and suicidal attitude stemming from his mother's lack of affection and love, and his mother's traumatic mental war and guilt stemming from her inability to love her own son, both characters deeply resonate with me.

I can't put into words how amazing this episode is, and the ending music wrapped it up beautifully with its melancholic, bittersweet melody. I adore this series.

"Let's die together. In my next life, I'll be born as a mother who can love her children."

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 18, 2014 5:39 AM

Jul 2009
Sad episode, his mom didn't love him and wanted to die with him, I am glad he was able to survive and went to live with some relatives.
Dec 18, 2014 7:21 PM
Jul 2012
Zadion said:

This episode took on more of a "show, don't tell" approach, leading some of the events to be rather vague, but the way I understood it, Reki's mother is the one who tied him to the tree in an attempt to kill him - hence why she was trying to block the sound of his cries.
--
As much as I truly sympathize with the mother, I find her actions and thoughts truly and utterly despicable. If my interpretation is right, she tried to kill her living, breathing son just because she was forced into an arranged marriage. I understand the deep emotional turmoil she endured, but people ultimately have absolute control over their own actions, and there is not a single thing to justify a number of them. That said, between Reki's selfless attempts at self-sacrifice, painful loneliness and suicidal attitude stemming from his mother's lack of affection and love, and his mother's traumatic mental war and guilt stemming from her inability to love her own son, both characters deeply resonate with me.

"Let's die together. In my next life, I'll be born as a mother who can love her children."

The first part I bolded because I think you missed a crucial part here. She can't love her son, and it's not "because" of her marriage. She's suffering from mental illness, depression, and emotional dissociation. I would say that you probably meant something more like "If my interpretation is right, she tried to kill her living, breathing son because of her mental illness and depression."

I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your statement, but more than a few people here have commented on the arranged marriage and framed it in such a way that indicates that she's doing everything because of spite or bitterness. That she's intentionally not loving her son because of her arranged marriage. (Or in your example, attempting to kill him because of the marriage.) I would agree that it is highly likely that that was the/a trigger event for her emotional breakdown, but the way everyone keeps phrasing it makes it seem as though she's doing it intentionally.

The second part I bolded ("justify") because I think we need to draw a distinction between "explanation" and "excuse." Understanding her mental state, her struggle with mental illness and a deep seated sense of guilt at her failures as a mother does not excuse her actions. I certainly think that the only "good" thing Shino did was manage to release Reki into the custody of family members. But explaining the "why" of a behavior does not mean that we "justify" or "excuse" that behavior. Just like when any other parental figure in real life attempts (or, unfortunately, succeeds) in killing their children, we can figure out the reasoning that person may have gone through without excusing the behavior itself.

My problem is that some have taken a stance that she's just a selfish bitch who should get over it already and just love the kid. And that's... incredibly overly simplistic. I would agree with the basic premise that Shino is not a good person. Indeed, she's a pretty awful person. Because even if she's incapable of loving Reki, and suffering from mental illness, it doesn't justify her actions. But I've gotten a bit defensive on this topic, because so many people missed the point entirely. (Though I'm not accusing you of such here.)
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Dec 18, 2014 11:31 PM

Dec 2012
It's always the breathtaking atmosphere and display of nature that captivates me first. The rumbling of thunder and the clouds shaking with lightning was absolutely gorgeous yet ominous to what was about to unfold. It seems as though there's a pattern behind the mushi - that several follow the cycle of nature and life but when they are separated from it search for a new means of survival - usually in the comfort of a human.

This was yet another episode where the dilemma of the mushi itself was but an afterthought to the main focus on this divide between a mother and her child. It was no doubt disheartening to see this mother who could not bring herself to love her son, but I feel as though no one was at fault in all of this. I mean, trying to kill her son aside. It wasn't as though she hated or resented him at that point, rather she wanted to become a loving mother. But that very thought just didn't register to her. You can tell a man to be kind all you want, but the importance of that kindness won't click into place without an experience to warrant it. I think what's even sadder is how she only mentioned that she wanted to be reborn as a loving mother, which means that she may very well have not even considered wanting to love her son and was only absorbed in the regret of being unable to.

It really left a sinking feeling when the episode ended with that unresolved separation between the family. But it just goes to show that people do not change that easily or suddenly and that if that experience had opened her eyes to loving her son, it would mean that those feelings were dormant inside of her all along.

This episode makes me appreciate the warmth I received from my mother, reminding me that a parent's love is not obligatory nor does it just come with the package of being born. With only two episodes left, I hope to send off Mushishi's final adventures with equally thought provoking stories.
Dec 20, 2014 10:53 PM
Jul 2014
I absolutely loved this episode. It was heart wrenching to see the mother treat her son that way, but there wasn't really anything that could be done about it. She didn't love her son, and obviously suffered from postpartum depression or something similar. The sad realities of this type of relationship were captured so well (the music and atmosphere created were gorgeous), so I'm glad they didn't make an ending where the mother had change in heart. Thought provoking episodes like this are why I love mushishi so much.
Dec 21, 2014 6:07 PM

May 2012
Damn another amazing episode! It's so amazing how this series can bring in so much emotion in a single episode! Let's see what's next though!
Dec 21, 2014 11:43 PM

Jan 2013
Frustrating episode, with no good resolution. But sometimes that's just the way it goes
Dec 25, 2014 2:35 AM

Mar 2013
I do not understand how people can be so upset with Reki's mother. she was forced into a marriage she did not wish for by her cold parents. her husband was very cold to her. her life was denied to her. to call her selfish (as if she is the only selfish person) doesn't make sense to me when, her whole life, she was surrounded by uncaring, selfish people.

what does it mean to love someone? could it not be said that she did love Reki because she did not wish for him to be born into such a cold environment? she knew this child would not be raised well. is that not love? she knew she would be a failure as a mother from the start. perhaps because of this, she felt it would be insulting to tell her child that she loved him. she doomed him to this life with her. when Reki showed her that he would not mind dying, even then she could not lie to Reki and tell him that she loved him. she could not lie to Reki and tell him that she wanted him to be here rather than with a kind, caring mother.

maybe she is selfish, but rightfully so. and it would be a lie to say I don't feel terrible for Reki. it is a bad situation all around, but I do not think the mother is the root cause of it.

..uhh anyway, good episode, but that goes without saying with mushishi.
MashmakhanDec 25, 2014 2:40 AM
meditate on bass weight.
Dec 26, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
When the mushi left through the belly button, I thought the matrix

Jan 1, 2015 9:37 AM

Nov 2011
ITT: retards preaching about self-centeredness

Her choice to still reject him as his son was exactly what I was waiting for all this time. If she would end up going "Sorry, I love you" and shit, THAT would piss me off even more than the retards here.
Jan 2, 2015 12:04 PM

May 2010
I liked the idea that the previous ep and this one has something to do with each other.
Rain and lightning mushi. Also, this ep being contrast to the previous one as to the story.

I actually appreciated that it ended that way. Although I was hoping a bit for her to show motherly love, it managed to present that love can't be forced at all. But at least, she entertained that wish to be reborn instead as a loving mother to her child. She's just being true to herself. But yeah, still cruel.

2 eps left. :(
Jan 3, 2015 5:17 PM

Nov 2010
This episode really made my heart choke in despair...
Jan 5, 2015 10:49 PM

Aug 2007
What a horrible mother. There isn't any excuse for her not loving him. She's garbage in human skin.
Jan 10, 2015 12:52 AM
Aug 2011
Christ, this episode was extremely painful.
Even after watching it i'm still trying to internalize what I have just seen for the past 23 minutes.

The part where the boy gets struck and you see his eyes was chilling.

Bless Ginko.
I mean he tried but he knows he can't force people to act a certain way or do something they don't want.
Jan 10, 2015 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
Serious ? His mother is too selfish ! Her son takes care of the village and his family, but she never smile or did something of gentle for him. This woman made me angry...

Otherwise a great episode as usual.
Jan 12, 2015 5:48 PM

Aug 2014
What a mess of a mother. I hated that bitch. Unlike the son, who took that last lightning like a boss. The mother could die for all I care.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 13, 2015 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
This was one of the best episodes this season. Too many of the other ones were focused on the mushi and lore instead of how they affect human interactions. Here, the focus is not on the mushi but how its effects help push along the relationship of the mother and son (which is the main focus). More episodes need to be like this as this is where Mushishi really shines.

The situation was a rather messed up one but it was portrayed very well and realistically. Moving away was the best decision for the son.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jan 14, 2015 12:05 PM

Dec 2008
Not only was she a miserable failure as a mother, but also as a basic human being as well. Her husband should tie her to a tree and let her get struck by lightning.

Sent with Mal Updater
Feb 15, 2015 1:10 AM

Sep 2013
I would be sad as well if I had to marry and have the children of someone I didn't love, but come on... look what she did with the kid and didn't stop even though he wanted to protect her lol..

Mother of the year award.
Feb 20, 2015 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
that poor kid deserved a much better life

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 24, 2015 1:20 AM

Oct 2014
Zadion said:
serendipityarise said:

I appreciate this post so much. My heart was so heavy from this episode, and I feel like reading this made it explode. ;_;

The direction, execution, and the themes in this episode were truly phenomenal. Mushishi yet again proves how well it has mastered the ability to portray real life issues in an art form. It was so poignant, beautiful, and thought provoking. It feels like the flip side of the previous episode; the mother in episode 7 lost her son who meant everything to her, and the mother in this episode lost her son who meant nothing to her.

I can't put into words how amazing this episode is, and the ending music wrapped it up beautifully with its melancholic, bittersweet melody. I adore this series.

1. From the posts in this discussion I have learnt that the mother most probably suffered from depression.

2. She could not love her son. Till here I completely agree. We cannot force the feeling of love.

3. However, passive dislike or indifference is one thing. Actively trying to KILL your son is another.

Now replace "your son" with "someone who is innocent and had no involvement in your predicament".

Lyrisia said:
That was quite cruel of her... not loving him is one thing but to tie him to a tree when there is thunder outside...

^ This!!!

Now I understand that mental illness may have caused that action (which is why it is considered an illness), but I cannot CANNOT put myself at ease with such an explanation.

I fear that if I accept this rationale behind the mother's actions, then I would start to accept it as a common occurrence. This should not become a common occurrence. Why? I cannot put into words. But it should not become a common occurrence in our minds.
Feb 27, 2015 6:44 AM

Dec 2007
koreye said:
darkreaver94 said:

Okay, I'm going to rewatch this again. Good points by the way. Sorry but thanks for answering.

God, what were you guys smoking when you were watching this episode?

"Reki finds it creepy that his mother hugged him...he doesn't want to die with someone who clearly doesn't love him"

"It was enough for him to hate his mother as shown from his eyes. He sees lightning as something that loved him because of how it always seek for him no matter where he was."

Anyone else notice how we've had 3 episodes based around mother-son relationship this season?

sevki said:
I still think a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to.

You "think" and you "feel" such and such should be a fact of life, but its not. I've seen mothers who have been absolutely horrible with their children. This was nothing in comparison with what I have witnessed, heard and read in real life. You know about mothers who have actually murdered their own children, like this one mother I read about once in the states who drowned all her children in a bath tub?

Your opinion doesn't matter when in reality things are different. There are all kinds of weird people in this world, including those mothers and fathers who don't give two shits about their children.

In the case of this mother in this episode, she just didn't or couldn't love her child. She just doesn't have the capacity to, and there's nothing unrealistic about it.

The woman who drowned her kids was suffering from Post Natal Depression and to be honest that's what I thought Shino was suffering from in this as well. It certainly seemed that way anyhow
Mar 8, 2015 4:07 AM

May 2014
While I haven't read through this thread thoroughly, it would seem some people are missing the point in regards to the mother.

Some people simply aren't made to be parents. They value their own freedom and pursuits highly and don't have the parental urge to raise children. She was forced into an arranged marriage (with the suggestion that she actually loved another at the time), and was made to play the mother figure she didn't want to be.

She knew perfectly well that she should be a better mother for the child's sake ("In my next life, I'll be born as a mother who can love her children"), but she just couldn't. Love isn't something you can force. Saying that she was selfish is unfair in my opinion. She'd been forced to live a life she never wanted and had clearly been living without purpose and in despair for a long time.

This is fantastic characterisation imo and a testament to the quality writing that goes into the characters we see each episode.
Mar 28, 2015 1:16 AM

Aug 2012
Jesus this thread took awhile to read through. Didn't think two pages would be chock-full of extensive explanations on Shino's mental condition. I mean, I'm not complaining, I read it because I enjoyed analysis but I guess I'm surprised about how many people just looked at her as an evil selfish bitch woman. I've don't think I've ever seen so much hate generated to someone who attempted suicide multiple times through the course of the story. Honestly though, I feel like I'm the one with egg on my face for expecting less hatred when coming into this thread. & I'm not trying to vilify anyone who does hate her but I think the episode provided more understanding than some people seem to give the episode.

That aside, this was a really good & powerful episode that I don't feel like adding too much to but I will say, that Mushishi has never really been about Mushi. It's always used them as mask for the study of something much more human, usually relationships. But I have to say, this might be the most transparent the show's ever gotten that mushi are basically just really cool plot devices.
Apr 11, 2015 4:40 AM

Jan 2013
The mother never had any thought of becoming a loving mother ... being forced into a marriage.
Even though she tried so hard, she just couldnt and I feel really bad for the mother.
In the end I guess it's for the better that the son moved in with a relative.

I'm guessing it wouldnt be to long before she broke up with the man either.
PrOxAntoApr 18, 2015 1:17 PM
Apr 18, 2015 11:00 AM

Mar 2012
Dam that was depressing, that poor kid...
Apr 26, 2015 3:53 AM

Jan 2011
Reki's mother was maybe the most annoying character in Mushishi universe. Can't believe how the boy grow to be such a nice person with parents like this. Glad he will live on with new parents.
May 31, 2015 3:09 PM

Mar 2014
The discussions here on the mother's traumas and psychological problems are all very well-thought, but they all seem to conveniently overlook the bare fact that she tried to actively kill her son (by tying him to the tree and waiting for the lightning to strike). While abortion is controversial, I believe attempted murder of a fully sentient human being to be less so. She's free not to love him, but no one has the right to take an innocent life, let alone that of their own offspring. And attempting to die with him? That's still murder, because there was a good chance neither of them would make it and that's what she was expecting.
So basically she's an would-be murderer, insane or not. Now judge her as you will.
Jun 8, 2015 8:52 AM

May 2011
I really wish his mother to be dead in the end.. she's awful.

But too bad he didn't die too.. he or his mother, this episode could have been so much better with one death.
Jun 13, 2015 4:44 PM
Nov 2014
Nice episode, I h8 his mom though.
Jun 15, 2015 10:23 PM
May 2010
I'm probably one of the few people who could relate to the mother. I don't love my own parents at all, despite all that they have done. It's not unimaginable for someone to not be able to love their kin. It just happens, and that's as true as the neutral tone of the anime.

Now you would probably wish me dead too huh? Well tough.
Jun 18, 2015 3:50 AM
Jun 2015
This epsiode was so sad..
Jun 20, 2015 5:53 AM
Jul 2018
That mother is a fucking cunt! I don't give a shit if she had postpartum depression or if she just resented being forced to marry someone she didn't love. To take it out on your kid like that unforgivable. She tied him to a fucking tree ffs! That's abuse god damn it.

I thought we were going to get a flashback where him being tied up was part of the treatment to get rid of the mushi but nope, turns out she was just being an evil cunt and tying up her own son to a tree during a storm even when he was crying out to her.

I can't believe she made it out of this episode alive. The only way this episode could have been more rage inducing is if that kid ended up dying after he pushed his mother away in order to save her. She should have killed herself after giving birth. Or you know, not listen to her mother in the first place and run away with whoever it was she loved originally. Fuck!
Jun 20, 2015 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
PrOxAnto said:
The mother never had any thought of becoming a loving mother ... being forced into a marriage.
Even though she tried so hard, she just couldnt and I feel really bad for the mother.
In the end I guess it's for the better that the son moved in with a relative.

I'm guessing it wouldnt be to long before she broke up with the man either.

Well it's not like she was physically forced to marry him. It was just expected of her. She still could have defied her family's wishes and faced the consequences if she chose to be with whoever she loved before the arranged marriage. And why do you say she tried so hard to love her son? From what we saw she never even attempted or cared to show him any affection whatsoever. Even when she finally hugged him it was only so that they could both embrace death, not each other.

This kid's childhood was somewhat similar to Asuka's from Evangelion yet he still managed to come out of it a seemingly happy and healthy child once taken in by someone who was caring. Props to the kid, fuck the parents, especially that cunt mother. Anyone defending her should be ashamed! ASHAMED !!! >_<
Jun 20, 2015 6:08 AM
Jul 2018
Terrestrious said:
Jesus this thread took awhile to read through. Didn't think two pages would be chock-full of extensive explanations on Shino's mental condition. I mean, I'm not complaining, I read it because I enjoyed analysis but I guess I'm surprised about how many people just looked at her as an evil selfish bitch woman. I've don't think I've ever seen so much hate generated to someone who attempted suicide multiple times through the course of the story. Honestly though, I feel like I'm the one with egg on my face for expecting less hatred when coming into this thread. & I'm not trying to vilify anyone who does hate her but I think the episode provided more understanding than some people seem to give the episode.

That aside, this was a really good & powerful episode that I don't feel like adding too much to but I will say, that Mushishi has never really been about Mushi. It's always used them as mask for the study of something much more human, usually relationships. But I have to say, this might be the most transparent the show's ever gotten that mushi are basically just really cool plot devices.

She is an evil selfish bitch woman though. She wasn't mentally ill to the point where she couldn't rationalize her own behavior. She knew the way she was treating her son was wrong, she just didn't care. Being self loathing and depressed doesn't give you the right to be an abusive and neglectful mother. She should have killed herself before getting pregnant or after giving birth. The latter would still be selfish imo as she was never truly forced to get married or have kids in the first place but it still would have been ideal over treating her son like that.

Edit: I'm a bit saddened that Reki doesn't have his own database entry. I was actually going to add him to my favourites lol.
removed-userJun 20, 2015 6:49 AM
Jun 26, 2015 9:55 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

113 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 30, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

86 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 26, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2014

125 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 24, 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.