Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2009 9:54 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, that was one screwed up ending.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 10, 2009 5:53 AM

Feb 2009
Well, yeah. :P

I liked how he wasn't able to really articulate his feelings until he was directly confronted with the idea of Mitaka's proposal.

Apr 27, 2010 1:55 PM

Jul 2007
not gonna lie I REALLY dont like shows when the male protagonist is such a wimp. i dont know why i put myself through this. last show i watched was kimagure orange road and for the majority of that show it was like that.

i think the only reason i even watch this anymore is for the time when godai grows some balls. i would definitely like this show if it wasnt so long because then i wouldnt have to rage as much
Aug 11, 2010 6:47 AM

Sep 2008
Kids were so crafty back then.
The episode made me smile sadly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2010 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
This whole episode was a series of utterly retarded misunderstandings... the only bright spot was Mitaka and his dog-fiancee... poor poor Mitaka...
Jun 15, 2011 1:28 AM

Feb 2010
A memorable line, spoken by Mitaka's uncle: "Don't chase those who leave; don't reject those who come."

Godai has the worst luck. The ending made me cringe.
Jul 14, 2011 8:33 AM

Jun 2009
Lol I love how the little girl at the end was happy about the casette
Jul 14, 2011 8:35 AM

Jun 2009
meneope said:

On the other hand if parents heard this in contemporary western societies surely he'd get into troubles
Dec 21, 2011 4:37 AM

Sep 2008
meneope said:
meneope said:

On the other hand if parents heard this in contemporary western societies surely he'd get into troubles

Absolutely. I'm wondering if whether I will see consequences for Godai next episode... Probably not?

Unfortunately, I found this episode super predictable... Godai was bound to mix up the tapes. It ended up just frustrating me, although I was a bit hopeful and happy when Kyoko seemed to "give up" on Mitaka. Only she's so indecisive that it doesn't really seem like she's decided anything after all...
Mar 13, 2012 7:53 AM
Dec 2010
At the point he put second tape in recorder it was way too obvious that he was going to mix tapes.
There's no way normal person could do that because he recorder tape for little girl Kyoko as 1st one and next day he recorded serious confession for Kyoko-san but left the tape inside of his recorder ..
.. bam.. magic trick with tapes exchanging places took place, only Godai can do this magic lol
but it was priceless anyway XD
Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyMar 13, 2012 8:04 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jun 29, 2012 7:05 AM

Jun 2009
merle_noir said:
meneope said:
meneope said:

Absolutely. I'm wondering if whether I will see consequences for Godai next episode... Probably not?

If he was in the UK he would be in big trouble today. BIG TROUBLE!; watching this again I have come to the conclusion that men simply can no longer work in this kind of places. Women are always innocent until proven guilty, with men it's the other way round.
Jul 16, 2012 7:27 PM

Oct 2009
*face palm* BAKA!! xD
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jan 26, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2011
The tape switch was predictable, but come on! Look how happy he made Kyon-Kyon! =P
Her parents made the matter much lighter in the manga, so I doubt there will be any trouble for Godai in the anime.
Feb 18, 2013 6:28 PM

Apr 2012
Well I knew the tape switch was coming but, still, it was painful to watch - that might be the most awkward misunderstanding so far.

Anyway, with all of Godai's underage admirers, I wonder if the series will take a darker turn from "Maison Ikkoku" to "Prison Ikkoku".
Apr 2, 2013 11:29 PM

Aug 2010
The tape switch I saw coming a mile away.

That didn't stop it from making me die of laughter though.
Oct 13, 2015 11:00 AM
May 2015
Funny ending! I wish mitaka marry both kyoko and kujo. I've no sympathy for godai after the previous episode. Dude, you love her but you doesn't come at home in the night and roam on those filthy places! What kind of message you are giving to kyoko?? At least call her, use common sense. Mitaka's character development is so good, and without shining teeth he is not irritating at all.
Oct 13, 2015 11:04 AM
May 2015
meneope said:
merle_noir said:

If he was in the UK he would be in big trouble today. BIG TROUBLE!; watching this again I have come to the conclusion that men simply can no longer work in this kind of places. Women are always innocent until proven guilty, with men it's the other way round.
Western countries!? Welcome to India, where 80% rape cases are false. We men are born to be
meneope said:
merle_noir said:

western countries?? Welcome to India, where 80% reported rape cases are false. We men are born to be guilty.
Jan 1, 2016 10:31 PM

Dec 2014
ok godai... why that's just wrong
Aug 11, 2016 11:57 AM

Jan 2013
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, I saw this coming too the second he recorded two tapes. HOW COULD THAT EVEN HAPPEN.
Jun 2, 2017 4:41 PM

May 2009
This wouldn't have happened had Godai marked the tape. I mean that little girl had cute drawings on the cover, why didn't he do the same?!
Mitaka, those dogs will always be loyal to Asuna so you better get use to it lol
Kyoko better make a decision soon, these men can't take the wait!
Oct 15, 2017 8:08 AM

May 2015
WWWWWWWWWWWWROOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGG TAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPEEEEE! GOD DAMMIT!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 13, 2018 4:02 PM

Mar 2014
Even though I knew what was going to happen I literally cried from laughter during scenes with tapes. It hadn't happen to me since a long time ago.
Nov 5, 2018 7:13 PM

Aug 2013
this one was the most retarded episode so far. i don't hate the misunderstandings as much as the other people here, but this one was totally bs

godai recorded the last tape in the morning and gave the recorder to kyoko with the tape inside, so how the hell the first tape went there?

just stupid
Nov 25, 2018 7:47 AM

Jul 2017
What the lol this is probably the stupidest misunderstanding I've seen in a romcom. How did those tapes switched places. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, I admit I laughed at that one.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Mar 9, 2019 8:06 PM

Nov 2016
So obvious, yet hilarious. Not gonna lie, had to laugh really hard.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 21, 2019 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
Oh shit from all the moments to mess up, this was the worst, heck I'm not even mad, I knew Godai would fuck up something along the way of expressing his feelings

Jun 2, 2020 8:42 PM

Jun 2016
Those dogs have marvelous nose.

Of course Godai being his stupid self making stupid mistakes during crucial moments.
Oct 14, 2020 2:48 PM

May 2012
dude, why.... how fucking stupid, honestly getting sick of this kinda shit, this show honestly coulda been so much better if they cut out all the fucking bullshit like this
Jan 31, 2021 7:48 PM

Jan 2012
I saw the switching of tapes a mile away and I didn't like it a bit. Predictable and cliched. Ugh, come on! After last episode almost broke my heart, they go and do this.
May 25, 2021 1:41 PM

Jan 2018
I know this show is more than 30 years old but damn, all this time I was hoping for the stupid tape switch to *not* happen. I'd defend Godai and his sorry ass all day but this mistake was something that was too dumb even for him.
Oh well, at least the show has potential to end on a higher note because of this, which is ultimately a good thing. But I kinda wish Rumiko Takahashi didn’t write this... (this tape switch BS I mean, it was way too forced and defies logic)
Jun 10, 2021 12:18 PM

Jul 2020
all I gotta say about the ending is bruh lmao
Jun 23, 2021 6:58 PM
Sep 2019
ekla said:
Funny ending! I wish mitaka marry both kyoko and kujo. I've no sympathy for godai after the previous episode. Dude, you love her but you doesn't come at home in the night and roam on those filthy places! What kind of message you are giving to kyoko?? At least call her, use common sense. Mitaka's character development is so good, and without shining teeth he is not irritating at all.

ok ,now you can fuck off bitch
Jun 24, 2021 3:43 PM
Sep 2019
disappointing ending
he could just walk down the stairs and go speak to her
whether she wants to or not want to listen..........

wish the male protagonist had a bit more balls
Feb 28, 2023 10:23 PM

Jun 2022
lol the tapes got switched up. I should've seen that stupid plot twist but for some reason it caught me by surprise lol. Still had me laughing so much.

Those were some determined dogs, poor Mitaka can't get a break. 
Jun 10, 2023 12:21 AM

May 2016
This got me good for real, Kyon Kyon lol
Nov 27, 2023 9:06 PM
Apr 2019
LMFAO!! cant do anything else but laugh at that ending, godai just cant catch a break man he fcked up in the worse way possible. I wonder how he will come back from this and have kyoko reject mitaka now

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
Apr 24, 5:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.