Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 19, 2014 6:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The first OVA is out now.

And heh, they sure didn't waste any time introducing the ugly cockroaches. We get some action against them as well. Oh poor girl. This is like one of those moments from a horror movie:

No censors though.

Aug 19, 2014 5:39 PM

Jan 2014
Ok, i haven't read the manga, but it was nice, good pacing... looking forward to the anime!
Aug 19, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
Ok, I'll wait for the subs to be out before watching it. I read the first volume of this series and it's pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that the mangaka seems to hate the female characters. Sigh......
Aug 19, 2014 7:00 PM
Jul 2012
Well this was disappointing. Rushed as hell, like the characters had some characterization, and made them likable before they started to get killed off in the manga, but not here. And they skipped prologue chapter, wtf, that was important.

I've always imagine that the adaptation for the manga would be something like Jojo's anime. I was psyched when I found out they were adapting this into an anime, and all my hopes came crushing down when I found out it was going to be an OVA.

I really hate this type of anime adaptation. This is the type of anime that you know was only ever meant to be a commercial for the manga rather than trying to be an anime that can stand on it own.
Aug 19, 2014 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
that was funny af

cant wait for the anime
Aug 19, 2014 7:37 PM

Oct 2012
Did anybody else get interested in Terra Formars from watching the cockroach
scene in Episode 12 of Watamote which aired on September 23, 2013? In that
scene, a cockroach appeared in the classroom. The "unpopular girl" Tomoko
aggressively killed the cockroach in the hopes of increasing her popularity with
her classmates.

At the time, several people commented on the Watamote MAL thread that it was
clearly referencing Terra Formars. So after that I looked up the manga and
found to my delight that many chapters had been translated. However, it was
so extremely gory that I felt certain that it could never be animated. Time has
proved me wrong.
Aug 19, 2014 7:42 PM

Sep 2013
They spoil the fact that everyone died except for that one guy and then they expect the viewer to be excited of that cliffhanger? The characters that died we didn't even get to know their names not that it matters because we already know they all died except for that one guy. This was ok if your looking for a "slasher film" type of anime but nothing else so far.
Aug 20, 2014 6:28 AM

May 2009
keragamming said:
Ok, I'll wait for the subs to be out before watching it. I read the first volume of this series and it's pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that the mangaka seems to hate the female characters. Sigh......

More like Johjes know that killing females prevent further breeding of enemy species.
Aug 20, 2014 6:31 AM

Jul 2013
They skipped quite a lot of materials in this ep.... even the prologue for the Bugs 1 arc since some of the scenes in the arc are relevant in the main series later on... Does anyone know if this OVA will only be 2 episodes or more?

Aug 20, 2014 10:06 AM

Oct 2013
OneWhoReadsBooks said:
Well this was disappointing. Rushed as hell, like the characters had some characterization, and made them likable before they started to get killed off in the manga, but not here. And they skipped prologue chapter, wtf, that was important.

I've always imagine that the adaptation for the manga would be something like Jojo's anime. I was psyched when I found out they were adapting this into an anime, and all my hopes came crushing down when I found out it was going to be an OVA.

I really hate this type of anime adaptation. This is the type of anime that you know was only ever meant to be a commercial for the manga rather than trying to be an anime that can stand on it own.

You do realise the actual anime isnt out yet, right?

And that this is only the prequel OVA
Aug 20, 2014 1:50 PM
Sep 2012
I have one question for the manga readers. Should I watch this OVA to its completion before going for the sequel tv anime that starts in septmember? because according to MAL, this OVA only finishes at november and I don't think I can wait two months before I start watching it. But as I say that, I also dislike spoilers; so should I really wait for the OVA to finish before I start watching the tv anime?
Aug 20, 2014 2:20 PM

Oct 2012
Both OVAs (in the series of two) are based on the BUGS 2 arc which is set
in the year 2599.

The first OVA, which just went on sale, packaged with Volume 10 of the
manga, is based on 「00-01 THE ENCOUNTER 既知との遭遇」. This is the
first part of the BUGS 2 story arc (バグズ2号 前編).

The second of the two 25-minute OVAs, which goes on sale some time in
November, packaged with Volume 11, is based on 「00-02 UNDEFEATED
敗れざる者たち」. This is the final part of BUGS 2 (バグズ2号 後編).

The anime TV series starts on Friday, September 26th, and is based on the
ANNEX 1 arc which is set in 2620.

I guess I would admire the self-control of anybody who was willing to wait
until the end of November to finish the OVA series before viewing the TV
series. I think that a plausible alternative for most people would be to
read the BUGS 2 arc of the manga before watching the TV series. But
please somebody else here correct me since I don't want to be dispensing
bad advice.

All of the information which I have just mentioned is from the official
website for the OVA series and the TV series, in Japanese, which is here:
http://terraformars.tv

- - - - - - -

For those among you who are unable to wait five more weeks until the TV
series airs and feel desperate to watch a story about anthropomorphic
cockroaches, I strongly recommend "Gokicha!! Cockroach Girl!" (2012),
which is a 2-episode ONA.
okanaganAug 20, 2014 2:53 PM
Aug 20, 2014 10:15 PM
May 2010
Well really hyped for the next OVA, but also really disappointed they skipped the first arc.... it was like the introduction to all and the deaths were awesome... Hope the anime would be better
Aug 21, 2014 6:49 AM

Sep 2013
The pacing was extremely fast compared to the manga. I wish they at least showed the part where God Lee tries to go knife-on-roach badass mode. Also the scene with Tejas was a bit worse, IIRC Shokichi was complimenting him in the manga only to find that he was decapitated.

Animation was decent enough. Roaches made some really creepy sounds.
Aug 21, 2014 12:48 PM

Mar 2012
NHS-KEMISH said:
Well really hyped for the next OVA, but also really disappointed they skipped the first arc...

There's going to be a TV adaptation for this story, don't worry, probably they will adapt the first arc in the TV adaptation.

Well, it was just kinda "meh" for me, just decent, I think. I give it a 7/10 close to 6, I hope it get's better in the next OVA but since it isn't my type of story I will probably think the same as this one. Tho I liked the idea for their "insect powers".
Aug 21, 2014 3:59 PM

Feb 2011
That was awesome LOL
Aug 21, 2014 7:28 PM
Nov 2010
keragamming said:

Female character killed: Hates women

Male character killed: Normal
Aug 21, 2014 7:32 PM

Nov 2012
So rushed and dreadfully terrible feel like dropping this already.But will give this a few more episodes but with have very low expectations for this.

I thought this was going to be a good awful comedy and yet it failed to even be that,now that's sad.
VanishingKiraAug 21, 2014 7:43 PM
Aug 21, 2014 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
Ewww...
Was a little jittery while watching this one. Seeing insects in a different light now o.O
Aug 21, 2014 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
Character development--nil
Plot--survive endless waves of giant mutated insects, repeat...
Underlying science--extremely dodgy
Gore quotient--extremely high

uh...no thanks...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 21, 2014 8:19 PM
Jan 2014
Haven't read the manga, but I liked it.
It does feel very rushed and I hate how they skipped the prologue.
However it got me interested in seeing the rest of the content.

I got really mad when Kawasumi Ayako's character - Akita got killed, just when I got excited...

The gore was very hefty.

Damn those ugly humanoid cockroaches.

Both Shoukichi and the captain are pretty BA.
Aug 21, 2014 8:22 PM

Oct 2013
supervamp78 said:
keragamming said:

Female character killed: Hates women

Male character killed: Normal

That's not the point I'm making. I'm just saying this from what I've seen from reading 1 to 2 volumes of this series. The female characters die like ants. Basically we shouldn't get attach to any of the female character since they will all die. Again this is my opinion from reading 1 to 2 volumes of this series.
Aug 21, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
Man, the manga was no masterpiece either but this is just depressing. At least there the deaths were funny.

3/10
OldBayFanAug 22, 2014 4:20 AM
Aug 21, 2014 9:08 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm guessing that some people didn't see that this is a prequel OVA and not the actual series =/

I don't really care that these characters got supposedly no development other than the MC, his friend and the other 2 badasses in the group...This IS an OVA and a prequel to the anime at that people, what did you expect?

Anyway, I loved this shit...And I'm really grateful that this wasn't censored...Honestly, the gore in AgK is pretty good but I kinda wish that the anime made it as detailed as it was in this anime/AgK's manga

I'm hyped for the series now and I cant wait to see the 2nd part of this OVA

But on a side note, the manga readers are bitching over some of these dead guys getting no development yet, when I read the first 2 chapters last year, the stuff that went down in this OVA were the only things that I remembered lol xDD honestly, its far too early to judge the series, especially over characters that clearly had no purpose other than the MC's girl
TokoyaAug 21, 2014 9:12 PM
Aug 21, 2014 9:25 PM
Aug 2012
Very nice! Shingeki no Cockroach.
Aug 21, 2014 10:26 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's been awhile since I read the first chapters, but I do feel like they neglected some of the background parts. They'll probably do so in the next OVA, or most likely when the series begin so it's all good. Hmm just the continuous and grotesque slaughtering of the humans :( Well it's meant to be a prequel so I guess it makes sense if they don't really do any character development?

Tokoya said:
when I read the first 2 chapters last year, the stuff that went down in this OVA were the only things that I remembered lol xDD

And pretty much this lol. And wow, no censoring! Not that I care because I actually don't really like gore, and Terra Formars is especially disgusting imo...still kept me reading for at least 40 chapters though.
Aug 21, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2014
Wow that was epic haven't read the manga but I for sure am I hope though that they add a lil more back story on the characters and story in the actual series but man am I hyped! :D
There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!~Zoro
Aug 21, 2014 10:52 PM

Mar 2014
How bad was this episode? I don't feel like downloading it yet because it isn't in HD.
Aug 21, 2014 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
Should have brought this instead:

I remember liking the manga when I read it but why do I feel so disappointed after watching this? I hope it's not a sign of what's to come >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 22, 2014 2:56 AM

Jun 2011
Very brutal, beautiful graphics and scenes and really dramatic music. Can't wait to see anime : )
*eating brains*
Aug 22, 2014 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
WOW. Blew me away. Easily the best 22 minutes of my life.
Praise JOHJ
Aug 22, 2014 3:58 AM
Oct 2013
This is only the OVA people. Don't expect any quality. Quality-speaking, it's quite good.

Now if they would give a minute to tell the name of each character's insect and tell it's capabilities in a nutshell (like the Manga), then the anime would be great.
Aug 22, 2014 3:59 AM

Oct 2011
The word of JOHJ is finally getting it's voice heard by the anime only watching crowd. Be blessed you get to live in the time period of His coming.
Aug 22, 2014 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
^
Not to mention how fast the manga is coming out. I might have been born too early to explore space, too late to sail the seas. But I was born at the right time to witness when the world discovers the wonder of JOHJ. JOHJ BE PRAISED.
Aug 22, 2014 4:01 AM

Apr 2009
Finally it is here, the most d33p, intellectually stimulating and non-racist aniem OVA of the decade finally aired and showed Akame ga Kill and Co. who is the true edge boss.

The sounds of the JOHJ were beautiful, the rushed pacing improved the badness factor and the hilarity of the gore reached a new height - truly, a masterpiece of modern anime!
Characters were almost as fleshed out as they were in the manga, which is a feat if we consider this breaknack pacing.

This is 10, no 11, no: JOHJ out of bloody 10!
JOHJ BE PRAISED
Also:RAHAB (what a teaser at the end!)
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 22, 2014 4:01 AM

Jul 2013
AcidPunk said:
They spoil the fact that everyone died except for that one guy and then they expect the viewer to be excited of that cliffhanger? The characters that died we didn't even get to know their names not that it matters because we already know they all died except for that one guy. This was ok if your looking for a "slasher film" type of anime but nothing else so far.

They said that he was one of the survivors, not the only.

Good oav, no censor. But it was rushed because it was a oav.
The introducton will be better in the anime like it was in the mangas, I think.
Aug 22, 2014 4:02 AM

Feb 2008
BASED RAHAB

JOHJ HAS FINALLY SPOKEN!

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 22, 2014 4:02 AM

Apr 2009
ZetaZaku said:
BASED RAHAB

JOHJ HAS FINALLY SPOKEN!

RAHAB > SEELE
Aug 22, 2014 4:04 AM

Apr 2012
JOHJ IS OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JOHJ IS LOVE JOHJ IS LIFE
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 22, 2014 4:30 AM

Feb 2014
This was... interesting. Really weird concept to be fair, but it works, and it's not bad at all. If the TV series is going to be as gory as this, I'm sad because I have a feeling it will be all censored.
Aug 22, 2014 4:39 AM

Nov 2012
oh, already airing?
okay here i come six packed roaches!
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 22, 2014 4:48 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
Finally it is here, the most d33p, intellectually stimulating and non-racist aniem OVA of the decade finally aired and showed Akame ga Kill and Co. who is the true edge boss.

The sounds of the JOHJ were beautiful, the rushed pacing improved the badness factor and the hilarity of the gore reached a new height - truly, a masterpiece of modern anime!
Characters were almost as fleshed out as they were in the manga, which is a feat if we consider this breaknack pacing.

This is 10, no 11, no: JOHJ out of bloody 10!
JOHJ BE PRAISED
Also:RAHAB (what a teaser at the end!)

And ofcourse we still have people who have no idea what racism is. because the homo erectus is racist by default, apparently.

Oh well, what are you going to do, this will never change.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 22, 2014 5:04 AM

Apr 2009
And the roches are red in the manga (we just don't see it liek that because of black & white!) and will surely be red in the anime as well because they are not trying to use a horrible anaolgy at all - just like you said in the announcement for thi- Oh wait, they are black.
I won't even get into that argument because it is as one of the top manga reviews said: It's as obvious as it can get. So let us just agree to disagree.
Aug 22, 2014 5:05 AM

Jul 2013
I'm black and I don't understand what are you talking about.
Aug 22, 2014 5:08 AM

Apr 2009
Just wait until the anime progresses further, it will become obvious.
NidhoeggrAug 22, 2014 5:12 AM
Aug 22, 2014 5:10 AM

Jul 2013
I read the mangas.
Aug 22, 2014 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
Guilek said:
I'm black and I don't understand what are you talking about.

Just somebody who has no idea what racism means. A lot of people seem to think that anything based on lesser evolved humans is racist against blacks.

In the old days(way before either of us where born) a lot of racist drawings against blacks where also based on lesser evolved humans, which is why people in the US seem to think its racist. In Japan however this is not the case, we don't even know if the author is aware of those old racist drawings since he is Japanese. But in short, anything based on a lesser evolved human is racist now-a-days. That political correctness/SJW'ism for ya.

But somebody on ANN explained it way better than I ever could.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878185&start=105

mr.42 said:

I've been giving some thought to how I would have drawn humanoid cockroaches that had developed along a similar evolutionary chain to the one humans ourselves had followed.

The Uber-roach designs are very clearly resemblant to the Homo-erectus model Divineking provided and despite Chibi Kangaroo's constant comparisons to the caricatures the resemblance is much closer.

So there's the first point, the basic anatomical structure is the same, the hair is the same, the large area between lip and nose is similar as are the small nose itself and the large forehead. However, As Chibi Kangaroo rightly pointed out such caricatures are themselves predominantly influenced by comparing Black people to such primitive humans so racist tones are all but automatically implied but not rational given the evolutionary themes the aeries is based on.

Next is the colour, the "black-man roach". In my opinion the weakest racist angle. We see in the coloured pages of the manga and the anime promos that the roaches are a dark brown. And obviously in the black and white pages of a manga the colour to use would be flat black. Now we know that cockroaches themselves are dark brown so it makes sense for them to have retained that colour. We also know that early humans developed on the African continent and that the melanin that the skin uses to defend itself from UV radiation is one of the reasons for dark skin.
On the treeless, shadeless planet of Mars would it be unbelievable
the the cockroaches that evolved on Mars would have retained their already dark skin tone?

Next up is the eyes, it is likely that the eyes that the Uber-roaches have are a combination of the large pupils needed to see better on a planet further away from the galactic light source and wider fullstop as a result of having developed from compound insect eyes.

They also retain their cerci and the the diminutive antennae.

The first time we see the Uber-roaches they are stooped and are carrying caveman level tools. A further indication that their basic design is based on early hominids.

We also see that they have constructed pyramids. and take to wearing loincloths of the sort we see in Egyptian period dramas/documentaries. I think that we can draw from this the theory that the Uber-roaches are developing in a culturally similar way to African civilisation as well as resembling them physiologically.

My earlier post on a possible post colonial reading of the text might then suggest, as a I did, of a pro-black intention. They might be the bad guys but they are winning. In fact are they even the bad guys? They are the ones under attack from the invading humans, who evolved after them (originally on earth) and advanced ahead of them technologically and now believe themselves the roaches betters.

As I have said before, these are only theories but so are any accusations of intentional or ignorant racism on the part of the mangaka.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 22, 2014 6:14 AM

Dec 2008
It was okay. I like stupid shows like this.

Hopefully the TV show won't get censored too much.
Aug 22, 2014 6:19 AM
Oct 2013
Racist (from the word race) is a term for a group of same species.

Roaches and Human aren't even of the same species or taxonomic rank. So yeah, it's NOT racist. But they're still black which is nice.
Aug 22, 2014 7:06 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Terra Formars OVA Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2014

54 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 30, 8:34 PM

» What was the reason behind a certain someone shooting someone in the head

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Jun 9, 2016

2 by kUshPandA_ENJOi »»
Jul 1, 2016 4:49 PM

» Preview

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

1 by Stark700 »»
Oct 31, 2014 8:03 AM

» Character Designs

Stark700 - May 19, 2014

1 by King_of_Heretics »»
May 30, 2014 3:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.