Forum Settings
Forums

South Korean One Piece Exhibition Cancelled Due to Japanese Flag Art

New
Jul 11, 2014 6:52 AM
Jul 2013
Seoul, South Korea's War Museum announced on Thursday that it has cancelled a planned exhibition centered around Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga has been cancelled due to protests of the Japanese flag appearing in art being displayed, among other reasons.

The exhibit was scheduled to be held at the museum from Saturday until September 4, and mannequins of the characters and other pieces were planned to be displayed. Due to some opinions that the facility is a place of mourning for the activists that fought to gain independence from Japan when it occupied the country, the staff decided to cancel the event. According to the organizers, within the materials they were shown before permitting the event, there were no images of the Japanese flag. After hearing many opinions, the staff decided it would not be appropriate to hold the event.

Oda began serializing his One Piece pirate manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in 1997. Over 345 million copies of the entire manga series have been printed worldwide and has sold 130 million copies since 2009.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-10/south-korean-one-piece-exhibition-cancelled-due-to-japanese-flag-art/.76521

I always had some lingering disdain for Korean antics but this oh man oh man.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 11, 2014 6:53 AM

Jun 2010
Why the hell would they plan to hold an anime exhibition in a war museum in the first place?
Jul 11, 2014 8:38 AM

Nov 2008
Many South Koreans are hypocrites when it comes to their hate for Japan (mostly young ones), they claim to be these ultra nationalists who hate Japan with an utter passion which is probably a learned behavior by parents but they'll watch anime, read manga and LNs, and play video games from Japan even marry the women (lots of Japanese women want a South Korean man now), it's sad, indecisive, and hilarious.

Jul 11, 2014 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
Sounds like it was an event they said they were planning but never actually intended to go through with so use just about any excuse to cancel something they were never going to allow anyway.
Jul 11, 2014 10:37 AM

Sep 2007
lolAsia
Jul 11, 2014 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
People of this generation weren't even around when Japan caused all those atrocities to the other neighboring countries. It's just blind hatred caused by their parents and teachings. This also applies to the Chinese who continue to hold their grudge against Japan for their war crimes.

Get over it people.
Jul 11, 2014 11:38 AM

Nov 2008
nucleon said:
Who knows? Their grand parents may have been killed and their parents orphaned and struggled with poverty etc. It's up to them to decide, not outsiders.

They never lived through the war firsthand though, their parents shouldn't shape their destiny, only the individual should shape his/her destiny.

Jul 11, 2014 11:54 AM

Aug 2007
They're still butthurt over shit that happened a long ass time ago?
Jul 11, 2014 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
Why would a war museum have a anime exhibit? I have been to that museum before and at the time the only thing outside of war that was displayed was stuffed animals showing the local wildlife.
Jul 11, 2014 2:12 PM
Apr 2014
IntervisioN said:
People of this generation weren't even around when Japan caused all those atrocities to the other neighboring countries. It's just blind hatred caused by their parents and teachings. This also applies to the Chinese who continue to hold their grudge against Japan for their war crimes.

Get over it people.

They probably blame Japan for the Division of Korea so i'ts nothing they can get over with now. But yeah blaming most of today's people for what they country did is just silly and scary. Especially when it's on the internet.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 11, 2014 5:01 PM

Aug 2007
nucleon said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Pretty much. Like some people are still butthurt when being shown with the Swastika.

Which is sad since the original meaning of that symbol was a good one.
Jul 11, 2014 5:10 PM
May 2007
Sometime ago, this UFC fighter from Korea would always protest to the UFC every time a fighter came out wearing fight gear with the rising sun on it. He says to Koreans such as himself, it represents oppression and rape and all that shit. Their heavyweight champion has a tattoo that has Brown Pride and not many people get outraged over that.

Anyway, the Japanese government has been dodgy on their war crimes and have flat out denied the existence of "forced" comfort women (saying they volunteered) and denying them reparations (at least America gave some reparations and apologized for interning Japanese-Americans), not acknowledging the Rape of Nanking in China, and the existence of Unit 731. Korea may have rights to be outraged, but at least Japan does not censor Korean media. Korean artists now have opportunities to make it big in Japan like BoA, Girls Generation, Kara, and Big Bang. Korea's channels have a kind of censorship on how much Japanese material they can show when AKB48 can make it big over there as well.

I think they are taking their hate for Japan to some kind of childish extreme over a cartoon but not like the Muslims are over a drawing that was really created some years before they protested against it as well as South Park (as well as Dio reading the Koran in Jojo). I hate those extremists for censoring what could have been the greatest episode of South Park if Kyle could have his dialog uncensored.
Jul 11, 2014 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Drunk_Samurai said:

That is the cause of half the world's problems today. Israel/Gaza, ISIS in Iraq, Eastern Europe, etc.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 12, 2014 9:13 PM

Jul 2014
Koreans need to come out of their caves as well as the Chinese when it comes to grudges from the previous generations.

Japan and America are best buddies now, as well as Vietnam and US have positive relationships now for godsakes.
Jul 13, 2014 4:02 AM
Apr 2014
I_Am_Drunk said:
as well as Vietnam and US have positive relationships now for godsakes.

Yeah but Vietnam still have a huge grudge against China.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 13, 2014 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
Rakaxo said:
I_Am_Drunk said:
as well as Vietnam and US have positive relationships now for godsakes.

Yeah but Vietnam still have a huge grudge against China.

Well i don't blame them, China's current aggressive territorial claims and issues with their neighbors has made alot of nations eyeing China such as India, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines, Taiwan, Tibet, Malaysia and also United States as it recently condemned China's aggressive maneuvers in the South China Sea.

I don't want another world war due to someone suddenly has an urge to "reclaim" lost land in a peaceful time.
Jul 13, 2014 6:57 AM

Nov 2012
Stop being dumbasses and read this before posting:

Just a warning, this comment might get long and moderately boring. I don't blame or judge anyone who skips this. I apologize beforehand. For the boredom and any mistakes since English is not my native language.

It's all a matter of culture and history. Things unrelated? Not exactly. Sure, Oda has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese actions of the first half of the past century in Korea. Still, this was not against Oda, but against a product of popular culture made in Japan that is growing in popularity in Korea and especially against the way the exhibition was planned (location, etc.).

Let me just make clear why culture is such an important and sensitive element in the relation between Japan and Korea. This may bring some light to why Germany's current situation is different but frankly I am not very well informed on that so I can't commit to the comparison. I'll try not to go too far back, but just keep in mind that for many centuries Korea was a cultural standard for Japan. Sure, they themselves took a lot of those things from China, but Koreans were the ones that took many foreign cultural elements to Japan (such as Buddhism for example). This role was, let's say, a source of pride. That's one of the reasons why the occupation was so punishing on the Korean identity in a way. The occupation had several phases but had one constant element - a sort of cultural reconstruction of Korea. A truly unprecedented process of mass assimilation. In the most severe phases (after the end of Showa, I believe), Japan went very very far with this. Things could go from forcing marriages, to force Shintoism upon the whole population (keep in mind that Shintoism wasn't practiced in Korea), even trying to substitute the Korean Language with their own, by stopping the teaching of Korean in schools for example (Korean students were punished when they used Korean), or forcing the adoption of Japanese names. There are a lot of examples of this, where Japanese culture was forced (very violently if necessary) upon the Koreans. It was an ultimate attack on their cultural identity. This was extremely humiliating and I don't think most people are aware of how they went with this. This wasn't centuries ago, there are people alive today that were forced to adopt the Japanese culture while they were in school for example. This whole thing got a lot worse after the war took a bad turn for the Japanese and they had to squeeze Korea of all it had and more to compensate the war effort.

So I hope we can both agree now that culture isn't just some unrelated element that doesn't matter. This because the occupation had an enormous cultural component that was highly humiliating. Now to further emphasize the role of culture - do you know of the concept of "soft power" that was coined by Joseph Nye? It's a complex concept but I'll try to put it simply (Nye's own writings on it are very interesting and I advise reading them if you want to know more). Basically, Nye mentions that whereas before the past half a century Imperialism was militaristic in nature (or "hard power") now there's a sort of "neoimperialism" that uses not military might but cultural influence. The way in which through the various cultural outlets a country can shape another's culture and daily life. After the war Japan focused on economy and built up its own soft power. That's why nowadays the Japanese culture manages to be popular throughout the world - be it with entertainment (manga, anime, cinema, etc.). The concept of neoimperialism is usually applied to more serious cases but many authors have suggested that Japan's shift of focus has reflected this new instrument through which they could impose their presence globally (impose may be too harsh a word here though). In Korea for decades the population has reacted badly towards Japanese culture. Hell, Park Chung-hee's decrease in popularity was very much due to the opening of commercial relations with Japan. The people did not want the Japanese products, even though eventually they had to acquire them, considering the increasing offer. This kept going until today. Nowadays, Japan's soft power expresses itself through several ways, one of which is manga and anime. Korea's view of Japanese culture (mostly in its older generations) is marked by the terror and humiliation of cultural destruction and assimilation. That's why an element of popular culture isn't just a random unrelated thing. It's the symbol of Japanese culture. The symbol of that culture that kept so many in fear was exhibited in a museum dedicated to activists that tried to stop the occupation. Not 200 years ago, but less than 70, it's too recent. It doesn't matter if it's Oda, or Tezuka. The point stands with its cultural symbolism. Culture in this case is not just some unrelated thing.

Japanese Popular culture in several shapes and forms got popular in Korea in the past few decades. Still this doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist and isn't felt anymore. Especially among the older generations. There is a very conflicting relation with Japanese popular culture. This kind of event ends up being a good proof of that.

Also you mention censorship but that's a whole different point. Basically, Koreans have had very strong censorship measures until very recently. This applies especially to a couple of topics. Japan and the Japanese media are one of them. This because for every politician Japan is an Achille's heel and connections with it may spell a more difficult mandate. Also couple that with the Japanese manipulation of its own media. Many times Japanese media went public with news that severely wounded the Korean national pride. Among other things, they denied some of the atrocities committed during the occupation, which really didn't bode well with the Koreans. Considering all this, it honestly doesn't surprise me that a not-so-democratic political system (well at least until recently, particularly with its censorship and numerous corruption scandals) censors Japanese media. Also an important element is the censorship of news related to the North which they tend to censor profusely.

As I feared this got long. Also, in case someone misunderstands, I'm not Korean. I just happened to study quite a significant amount of East Asian history in college.
Jul 14, 2014 8:48 PM

Mar 2013
I find it funny how people are reacting to this considering that there was a lot of raging over American officials attended the Hiroshima-Nagasaki memorial ceremony. Reactions like these are nothing new, nor particularly strange. Considering that everyone hates their neighbours and their dogs already (no, not just Asia. Like, uh, Ukraine anyone?), shouldn't be surprising since wars only make it an even more sensitive topic.
Jul 17, 2014 2:19 AM
Jul 2014
Hoppy said:
Many South Koreans are hypocrites when it comes to their hate for Japan (mostly young ones), they claim to be these ultra nationalists who hate Japan with an utter passion which is probably a learned behavior by parents but they'll watch anime, read manga and LNs, and play video games from Japan even marry the women (lots of Japanese women want a South Korean man now), it's sad, indecisive, and hilarious.

Why are SK men so popular among Japanese women?
Jul 22, 2014 3:36 AM

Sep 2011
CrimBlacklotus said:
Hoppy said:

Why are SK men so popular among Japanese women?

I'd wager mostly because of K-pop boy bands. Seriously, I don't think they would particularly care what country the man she is interested in from. They are only looking elsewhere because there is shortage of Japanese men interested in dating. That issue has been well documented over the few years.

Korea feels too immature even though they have been victimised. There's gotta be a better way to handle this.
No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me
Like I care at all
But it was so loud
And you sure could yell
You took a stand on every little thing
And it was so loud
Jul 22, 2014 9:16 PM

Mar 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:

Its not only the Koreans who are still butthurt. Whenever a natural disaster strikes Japan, there's always a bunch of my idiotic fellow Americans on FB who say they're getting what they deserve cause of Pearl Harbor lol....
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 23, 2014 4:26 PM

Mar 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:

If it was your grandmother who'd been raped and your grandfather who'd been beaten/enslaved, it might not feel like it happened all that long ago.
Let's go bowling.
Jul 23, 2014 5:46 PM

Jun 2010
ParaParaJMo said:

Anyway, the Japanese government has been dodgy on their war crimes and have flat out denied the existence of "forced" comfort women (saying they volunteered) and denying them reparations (at least America gave some reparations and apologized for interning Japanese-Americans), not acknowledging the Rape of Nanking in China, and the existence of Unit 731. Korea may have rights to be outraged, but at least Japan does not censor Korean media.

Weren't there several apologies and statements aknowledging these crimes by the Japanese government? Like the one 1993? - http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/women/fund/state9308.html

And wasn't there a fund setup by the japanese government to compensate these women?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Women%27s_Fund
Jul 28, 2014 12:16 AM

Aug 2007
StopDropAndBowl said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

If it was your grandmother who'd been raped and your grandfather who'd been beaten/enslaved, it might not feel like it happened all that long ago.

My grandpa was at Pearl Harbor. I assume by your logic I'm supposed to hate the Japanese then.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.