Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kobato.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2009 12:15 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm excited and couldn't wait.
Hoping Madhouse do a great job of it which I'm sure they will.
Oct 6, 2009 9:41 AM

Jan 2009
I'm waiting for subs too, but it's a bit surprise for me that I almost completely understood RAW O_O
Probably because most of things in it were in the manga (why there wasn't hanami ;__;), but still...

Cooking scene is cuter than in the manga, and eye-catch with Usyagi is adorable. But I'm a bit disappointed with Kobato's singing - her voice should be special and awesome - and it was only normal j-pop, not unusual in any way.
Oct 6, 2009 10:33 AM

Jul 2007
LEt's see:
- Kobato does not look like Kobato, she looks half-bloated like TC Sakura and way too young.
- Iorogi has way too bright colorings. I excepted him to be in a bit darker blue specter. And Kurogane's VA does NOT fit him. Not sadistic and angered enough.
- Hated the sugarcoated cheerfulness of everything. Kobato is great for comedy and etc, but Madhouse is clearly trying to push it as "another ccs", which makes me puke.
- Hated anime-original additions.
- Animation quality was lackluster...it felt like watching anime from 2002-2005.
- Not too fond of OST.

Overall: hopefully next episode will improve. However, while better than I excepted, First episode did not impress me.

3/5
Oct 6, 2009 12:06 PM

Dec 2007
I thought it was wonderful. The whole thing fit the Kobato mood very well. The only thing that is slightly off is that she passed her test too quickly. Since it took like...months for her to do it in the manga. But I understand why they sped things along here.

Also, I don't really think Kobato's singing voice is what I imagined, but that's a given. Kana Hanazawa is just human and Kobato is represented as like, having an angel's singing voice. So uh...I'll totally let that slide. XD
Oct 6, 2009 5:45 PM

Nov 2007
lol @ Iorogi. Somehow I feel Fujimoto came in too early (compare to manga).
tsubasaloverOct 6, 2009 5:50 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 6, 2009 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
seems like a good show, but somehow too girly for me.
Kobato:"I will cure the wound in your soul with my clumsiness! Ops failed...*tap head*"
Oct 6, 2009 6:08 PM

Apr 2008
Seeing as I had no expectations from this show, it looks like something i'll continue a bit longer.

cute/5

Oct 6, 2009 6:11 PM

Feb 2008
This is probably a little bit too fluffy for my tastes but all in all it was decent for a first episode. Kobato seems to be one of the better fall 09 shows so far. Which isn't really saying much. Anywho. I'm wondering if it was just me but Kobato's singing sounded a bit off key in spots. It reallly irked me. Idk.

Also, this has been bugging me. Why is there a "." at the end of the show's title?
Oct 6, 2009 6:21 PM

Nov 2008
Hmmm ... CLAMP light.

NHK is hoping against hope for another CCS... but this isn't likely going to be that kind of hit, although the first episode was reasonably cute.

Now, if they can only make Kobato less of an airhead, and maybe send the obnoxious Sargent-Major Dog over to Kampfer so that he can have his guts carved out...
Oct 6, 2009 6:24 PM
Oct 2007
Since I haven't read the manga, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Kobato might be a total klutz but she's way cute. The nabe part was hilarious. The singing wasn't fantastic though. Kana Hanazawa seemed to have some trouble with the really high notes, which slightly bothered me, but the sakura and animation made up for it. Visually, I think Madhouse will not disappoint.

Can't wait to find out who Kohaku is and where Kobato even comes from. Oh, and the OP was awesome.
Oct 6, 2009 6:46 PM

Jun 2009
i rather enjoyed this episode, will definitely keep watching. as said before nabe scene was pretty funny, and when she sang was another good scene although i agree the singing wasn't at it's full potential. the animation style and quality were both really well done.was it just me or does fujimoto remind you of nagisa's father in clannad?
Oct 6, 2009 6:51 PM
Aug 2007
Very nice adaptation, I'm loving Kobato's VA. The singing was pretty cool too.
Oct 6, 2009 7:06 PM

Nov 2006
Saitoe said:
cute/5
Accurately sums it up.
Oct 6, 2009 7:18 PM

Oct 2008
Sub is out at tokyotosho by ES so i didin't who wanna try then go and have a shot XP
Oct 6, 2009 7:21 PM

Feb 2009
I liked it so far, Kobato is cute :3. the singing wasn't to horrible, i kinda liked it. I like the OP and END song too! 5/5 so far
Oct 6, 2009 8:49 PM

Apr 2008
I'll agree with the cute/5, but I was only really enjoying it when Kobato was failing. And her singing was... pretty bad, honestly. Still, I'll give this a shot. The chuckles from her clumsiness were pretty good.
Oct 6, 2009 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
Very good first episode, can't expect less from Madhouse, I can't say I really like clamp since most of their series are bullshit such as Tsubasa, nevertheless I'm giving them a high five for the effort. Theres one thing I really liked from this first episode, and its that they didn't rushed out with the plot that fast as many other series do their first episode, specially since they're giving out subtle hints of what's coming next.

They plot might be a bit predictable, yes and quite cliche, indeed; but heck, entertaining as hell. Couldn't avoid to smile in front of Kobato's moe factor :/ Definetly staying with Kobato this season. 5/5

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Oct 6, 2009 10:25 PM
Mar 2008
I'll follow through with this one for now, it was pretty enjoyable. But i could really feel the length, It feels way longer then 20 minutes lol.
Oct 6, 2009 10:43 PM

Jun 2008
It was a cute first episode, I kinda wish we could have gotten a bit more information out of the episode. I'm looking forward to the next episodes and seeing where this story line goes :)
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Oct 6, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2009
Sigyn said:
It was a cute first episode, I kinda wish we could have gotten a bit more information out of the episode. I'm looking forward to the next episodes and seeing where this story line goes :)
QFT,

I still can't understand the story very well, but with more episode coming up, i guess i will get hang off it, and it's pretty entertaining.

The Cooking scene is funny, and the Singing is i don't really understand Music but it's good, so yeah i'll keep it on my watching list
Oct 6, 2009 11:01 PM

Apr 2009
The nabe and singing parts were the highlights for me. A bit confused on the story. Wondering where she came from.
Oct 6, 2009 11:44 PM

Jul 2009
So were the subs by ES any good? Don't wanna waste bandwidth if someone better comes along.
Oct 7, 2009 12:07 AM

Jan 2008
hmmm... i've only read 4 chapters of the manga and have it on hold and i don't know if i'll continue the manga (blame clamp re: tsubasa for me) =/ so, i'll stick around and see how this turns out because it's been a while since i've seen a clamp story animated (i refuse to watch anything tsubasa unless it follows the manga storyline). sooooo... i'll stick with it. 3/5 for me
Oct 7, 2009 12:13 AM

May 2009
ES subs were alright, although a few lines were missed out and some kanji that showed up on walls wasn't translated. Waiting until gg are done is probably the best bet.

As for the show, not sure yet, could go either way quite easily.

edit: gg's version is out, so don't bother.
Oct 7, 2009 12:15 AM
Jul 2008
gg is subbing this as well
Oct 7, 2009 12:36 AM

Jul 2007
hmm
I havent read the manga so i dont know how good or bad it is compared to it.

Still i loved the music and animation of this show. I loved the pluffy dog and Kobato way really cute :3
Anyways i believe it was pretty for for a first ep and it definately has potential to get even better. I have high expectations from it
Oct 7, 2009 12:43 AM

Dec 2007
just watched the first episode and really liked it, i have a feeling that this will be a good one in the season.
i really liked it when she started singing, it was just so beautiful and heartwarming :D

ill give it a 4/5 and i have a feeling that it will get even better. :D
Oct 7, 2009 12:44 AM

Feb 2008
wow. this is actually really good. it kinda feels like a 13 epp show but its 24 apparently. looking forward to this.
Oct 7, 2009 1:04 AM

Aug 2008
It was OK. It was done quite well, I'm just not sure whether to drop it or not simply because its not my style... I'll keep watching for now at least though.
Oct 7, 2009 1:11 AM

Sep 2009
Hmm...not bad. I can't believe I was going to let this show slide...glad I decided to look at the first episode. I don't mind a nice light/innocent show. Haven't read the manga so I don't know how the show is compared to that. Pretty certain I'm going to follow the rest of the series.
Oct 7, 2009 1:13 AM

Sep 2007
It was a nice episode. The hotpot scene was pretty lolz. All of that and it still tastes good. How scary.
Oct 7, 2009 1:25 AM

Apr 2008
great start xD didnt expect first episode she will get the bottle liao

Oct 7, 2009 1:30 AM

Apr 2009
Far better than I expected it to be. Extremely cute and has potential for a possible romance.

Brb, replaying the damn song. I can't believe there are some people who don't like it.
Oct 7, 2009 1:31 AM

Feb 2008
The outcome of that nabe looked like it was dangerous to eat...xD
But surprisingly...it was good...so they said. xD

I thoroughly enjoyed this first episode. x'D
I wasn't expecting anything really...just that it must be a good series since a lot of people like it and its made by CLAMP. (But not really a fan of CLAMP but liked some of their series, I guess)
Also if this series turns out really good, I might go read the manga...but really, it seems I don't have to decide since I'm most likely am going to read it xD

I usually don't like the OST when I listen to them the first time, but surprisingly, I liked the OP & ED (Sakamoto-san and Megu-chwan FTW! ♥)
And Hanazawa-chan's voice for the song wasn't so bad. :'3
I've heard WORST. O_O
That's why I love that song too and it was heartwarming in a sense. ='3 ♥

I give this a 5/5 coz it made me laugh-out-loud more than 2 times. x'D
Madhouse did a good job with the animation. -thumbs up-
Can't wait for gg's sub. >w< -downloads-

Oct 7, 2009 1:46 AM
Feb 2009
Pretty enjoyable ep. Iorogi was pretty good. It's like how I imagine how he'll sound. I really like the singing scene. ^^
Oct 7, 2009 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
The brainless charactor is a bit daunting for me, but the music and Ioryogi's I want to be like chucky, but the writers wont let me adatude gives it a 4/5. How will I be able to watch 24 episodes of this is makes me wonder right now if it keeps this pace.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Oct 7, 2009 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
This is definitely CLAMP alright. And Kobato has a small sidekick too. And she's collecting stuff.
Oct 7, 2009 3:20 AM

May 2008
A very nice episode ^^
Kobato is so cute and adorable,
iroyogi is so vulgure XD
anyway the animation was amazing, cant wait for the next one.
Oct 7, 2009 3:24 AM

Jun 2008
The first part was pretty so-so. And the other part was a little bit better. But I'll watch it.

Didn't like it so much, seen better first episodes.
Oct 7, 2009 4:08 AM

Jul 2007
RolexiH said:
This is definitely CLAMP alright. And Kobato has a small sidekick too. And she's collecting stuff.

ANd how does that make it "Clamp"? ;)

Last time I checked, CLAMP trademark was that they put every character through countless mindfuck scenarios till these characters feel sorry for being alive :P
Oct 7, 2009 4:36 AM

Feb 2008
windy said:
Saitoe said:
cute/5
Accurately sums it up.
Yeah, this.

Kobato is fucking adorable, lmao. So is her little doll thing, too.

As said, I wish we'd have gotten more information on the first episode for us sillymuffins who didn't read the manga.
Oct 7, 2009 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
Not bad, but it's not really appealing to me.

The interactions between her and the doll are pretty entertaining and the chibi scenes are awesome, but the rest felt a bit too boring for me.

Sacrifices have to be made in order to not end up watching every show of a season.
Oct 7, 2009 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
Fai said:

ANd how does that make it "Clamp"? ;)

Last time I checked, CLAMP trademark was that they put every character through countless mindfuck scenarios till these characters feel sorry for being alive :P

well, by cast and chardesign at least.
Oct 7, 2009 4:46 AM

Sep 2008
I loved every bit of this episode.

(Except perhaps the high notes when she sang. The rest of the song was okay.)
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Oct 7, 2009 5:17 AM

Jul 2007
Drybananna said:

As said, I wish we'd have gotten more information on the first episode for us sillymuffins who didn't read the manga.

Don't worry. Manga readers don't know wtf is going on too. ;]

Apart from some of spoiler character appearances, manga did not even go into something covering the main plot or main character.

Makes me wonder on just how they plan to end this anime in 24 episodes.
Oct 7, 2009 5:53 AM

Apr 2009
So-so. Thought it would be better. But probably the rest will be better.
Oct 7, 2009 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
It was 'cute', but that's just about it. Hopefully things get more exciting... I mean, no offense, but the manga's going by a bit slow. I hope the anime quickens the pace a bit so that it's not so tiring after a while. >_< I mean, 20+ episodes of Kobato doing something naive and getting yelled for it is... yeah. :)

Oh, by the way, is that grandma the one who appeared in that other Clamp series? (Can't remember title)... I'm pretty sure she appeared in the manga and not in this way, but they look so alike. :P

Screencaps:
Oct 7, 2009 6:05 AM

Jul 2007
Raeious said:
It was 'cute', but that's just about it. Hopefully things get more exciting... I mean, no offense, but the manga's going by a bit slow. I hope the anime quickens the pace a bit so that it's not so tiring after a while. >_< I mean, 20+ episodes of Kobato doing something naive and getting yelled for it is... yeah. :)

Oh, by the way, is that grandma the one who appeared in that other Clamp series? (Can't remember title)... I'm pretty sure she appeared in the manga and not in this way, but they look so alike. :P

Screencaps:

Yes she did, in xxxholic. ;)
Oct 7, 2009 6:15 AM

Jul 2008
Very good first episode ! The animation was good, Kobato's voice sounded really good, and so did Fujimoto's. And awww, that song which Kobato sang in the end was so awesome, so touching and aww, amazing ! ♥ 5/5

Oct 7, 2009 6:49 AM

Jan 2009
Now then, let's see. This seems to be one of the slightly odd and original animes this season, so I'm pretty excited as to what this might hold.

On to the episode then.
First of all, quite a catchy tune in the OP.
Hmm well that's one scary dog..thing..stuffed animal..-ish.. Or something.
Oh, now the cool guy of the series has appeared.
I lol'd, quite a lot, during Kobato's adding of stuff into the hotpot.

No wonder that singing attracted a whole bunch of listeners, she's actually able to sing quite well, unlike many other seiyuu's out there. (Still, not even close to the best I've heard.)
Although the lipsync during the singing was awefull.

Also, a stuffed dog eating sushi, awesome!

Anyway, this seems like it could get quite good, given some time, and considering that it will be 24 episodes, they sure have time to make it great.
(OH SHI-... I managed to actually make a full post without a single smiley, even though it was close during this last sentence)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kobato. Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 23, 2010

236 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 29, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Kobato. Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 2, 2010

115 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 26, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Status poll about Kobato Episode 23

KingSunWukong - Dec 12, 2023

0 by KingSunWukong »»
Dec 12, 2023 9:18 PM

» Hanato Kobato is an example of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Kiryotsu - Oct 22, 2023

0 by Kiryotsu »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:00 PM

Poll: » Kobato. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2010

100 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.