Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2009 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hisoka trying to contain his laughter was hilarious... xD
Jul 21, 2011 4:17 PM

May 2008
Arcanus said:

Indeed, I loved that scene xD
Aug 21, 2011 8:19 PM

Jul 2010
sayami said:
Arcanus said:

Indeed, I loved that scene xD

probably one of the best parts

also for some reason the chairman/prez guy reminded me a lot of yamamato from bleach, with his looks and that old man stare he has.

Aug 30, 2011 1:11 PM

Jul 2009
Hisoka is a god :P
Jul 30, 2012 2:32 PM

Feb 2009
The fighting, the animation, Gon taking a beating, Hisoka laughing, I loved everything about this episode.
Mar 7, 2013 6:10 AM

Jan 2012
Baldy got angry in the end. Anyway, Hisoka laughing was an interesting sight to see.

Apr 21, 2013 1:04 AM

Jun 2012
Such a good episode.

The pacing was so well done, and the suspense build-up was incredible.

But Gon won't die. The show isn't half way done yet! :D
Jun 5, 2014 2:23 PM
Apr 2013
Stupid episode unfortunately
Dec 13, 2014 10:49 PM

Apr 2014
The animation was great in this! I see why the Gon + Hanzo match-up here is considered the superior of the two adaptations.
Jan 22, 2015 11:04 PM

Jul 2013
HiNT74 said:

I agree. If it wasn't for the plot shield Hanzo could have just sliced his ears and nose off and Gon would have spent rest of his life regretting his idiocy.
Jul 20, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2013
Gon is a stubborn little badass isn't he?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 11, 2016 10:46 PM

Feb 2016
Kuruwin said:
HiNT74 said:

I agree. If it wasn't for the plot shield Hanzo could have just sliced his ears and nose off and Gon would have spent rest of his life regretting his idiocy.

@Red_Hill

First I apologise if this reply is no longer an interest considering the time and all.

I completely understand why you see it that way. However, in the 2011 version, especially in this version, they made great pains to show that Hanzo is in fact a softie despite his harsh upbringing.

For example, it was mentioned (more explicitly in the 2011) that Hanzo made a clean break of Gon's arm.

The reason was to not only prevent disabling Gon for life but also even making his arm stronger when it heals.

You also forget that Hanzo could easily have just (next match) had his go at Pokkle who had already tried and failed the hunter exam numerous times and was noticebly weaking than Hanzo the rookie.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 7, 2017 10:06 PM

May 2008
I love Hisoka just laughing in the background; even he isn't resistant to Gon's pace. xD

Rosny said:
Kuruwin said:

I completely understand why you see it that way. However, in the 2011 version, especially in this version, they made great pains to show that Hanzo is in fact a softie despite his harsh upbringing.

Agreed. Even though it's not told explicitly, it's shown through his interactions. Hanzo is an actual nice guy who hasn't done anything cruel nor shown that side at all during the Exam; it's weird how people would think he would suddenly maim Gon to win. Not even taking into the account that Kuruwin is assuming Gon would give up then.
Jun 3, 2017 7:53 PM

May 2012
Hohoho that cliffhanger! Pretty damn impressive, Gon is quite stubborn... but I do really wonder who'll win this match!
Nov 4, 2017 8:35 PM

Mar 2016
There is this awesome fight between Gon and Hanzo but I've got nothing to say for that except that it's a good fight!

Meanwhile, Hisoka's laughing in the background become the center of attraction XD
Oct 27, 2018 4:02 AM

Apr 2013
People really only watch this show for Hisoka, don't they? He had like 10 seconds of screentime and half the comments are about him...
Gon is an idiot, if his opponent didn't care so much he would be disabled now.
Jan 23, 2019 12:37 PM

Nov 2013
This is fucking stupid. Hanzo could torture this little shit for hours but instead he is just making fool of himself.
GvendolineJan 23, 2019 1:39 PM
Feb 1, 2020 10:43 AM
Apr 2016
The sakuga animation this episode was nice! Gon is damn stubborn... I guess it's just stupidity, but oh well!
Jun 29, 2020 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
Gon definitely isn't thinking rationally. I think some of the hate Gon is getting is justified. And yet I'll never say he isn't likable. I'll always be rooting for Gon, and I'm sure most others will too.

And yet, I'll fuggin contradict myself right here and now. I was rooting for Hanzo. For the sake of realism. The gap in skill is too large and even Gon shouldn't be able to find a loophole out of the battle... I was waiting to see him make a "big boy decision" and know when to call it quits. And for the anime to pull a total OG move and give the MC a losing battle for the sake of growth and reflection.

Not only that, I don't blame Hanzo for his actions in the slightest. Everything Hanzo did was justified. His anger and offense taken are standard human emotions that many prideful people can feel. Hanzo had no choice but to physically torture Gon to make him admit defeat... and Gon just wasn't cooperating. Hanzo's obviously a noble and ethical person (as seen in past episodes)... he gave Gon limitless options to opt-out... you can tell Hanzo tried not to hurt Gon from the get-go and had to gradually up the ante the more stubborn Gon became... it's not like Hanzo enjoyed any of beating... but from Hanzo's perspective, he's doing what he has to do to become a Hunter. (Gon being a child is irrelevant because he's of-age to take the exam and a finalist.) I'm sure every single one of the eight (other) finalists would do what Hanzo's doing (even if a fraction of it) if they had the power and situation.

Luckily no one seems to be holding illwill against Baldy, but I'm certainly hoping no one else who watched this episode painted him as a villain. The only argument that could be made is in regards to Hanzo's slight lack of empathy... for not taking the high road and admitting defeat because he feels bad for the kid... which, I don't think he has the obligation to do.

Also... he kinda reminds me of One Punch Man, in far more ways than just appearance, and even combat. His demeanor, personality, seriousness, and being the subject of ridicule, perhaps.

Also also... Hanzo balancing on a single figure was pretty friggin epic. Call me gay but I'm fangirling over it for sure. You've gotta appreciate devoting your entire life to strengthening your mind and body like a ninja.

Oh yeah, and the animation was sicc here. The blurs of Hanzo chasing Gon around the room. Pretty slick for the early 2000's, albeit some stills and corner cutting. There was some real fluidity in some of the poses.
removed-userJun 29, 2020 1:25 AM
Aug 20, 2020 9:21 PM

Feb 2015
Well, as Satotz said, there’re many reasons why they’re where they’re. Hanzo has a great physical ability, strength, speed, agility, and surely, he has a loose mouth, but he’s impressing. Gon, on the other side, he’s younger, he’s a child surprising everyone with his problem solving abilities and his tendence to make allies, also, his attachment to nature and innocence gave him the points to be there.
Sep 24, 2022 5:36 AM
Dec 2013
Much more brutal, and overall better, fight than the toned-down 2011 version, where the camera would look away every time Hanzo attacked Gon.
Jan 15, 7:17 PM
May 2018
Reply to Redhills
@Redhills Stupid opinion, sadly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

24 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 20, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Sep 13, 2008

55 by Kyurima »»
Apr 12, 5:40 AM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.