3It was OK
21.2%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
5.8%
Average 4.1
52 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 21, 2009 3:45 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm going to watch season 3 right now. Overall it was pretty good, I didn't like Goro this season hopefully in the next one I will. Gyroball Fwt
Nov 4, 2009 2:23 PM

Apr 2007
Damn, I hate the fact that Goro leaves Toshi. =_=
I can understand all this "on my own feet" stuff somehow, but isn't baseball a team sport? What is this "I come back to challenge you!" good for? Isn't that already an insult to his new team who will just be the dummies to stand by while he really wins the games?

And there I hoped that it would finally be over with "Goro in sucky teams"... >_>

... AND Goro made Toshi cry! T_T

Well still love the series and looking forward to season 3, but can't get rid of a slight frustration about the end of this season...
Apr 14, 2010 3:07 AM

Feb 2008
honestly I don't think Goro will ever understand that this is a team sport and not a one man show :/
Toshi's better off without him, if he teams up with Mayamura there's no reason for them to lose to Goro (other than the fact that he's the hero of this anime ofc). Mayamura is every bit as good as Goro and he actually has relief pitchers and breaking balls he can rely on. and since Mayamura and Toshi can both hit Gyro's on their team but only Goro is the only one who can on his team, he'd be outclassed in both offense and defense.

seriously, if Goro doesn't learn something other than this gyroball, start using his brain a bit and start treating his team as more than a convenient backdrop/audience to his victories, I'm going to lose interest in this show. if the writers wanted to make an anime about a single sports hero then there are plenty of sports out there that require no teamwork whatsoever.
Apr 23, 2010 2:07 PM
Jan 2009
Wery awesome anime
Especialy I like this seasons soundtracks , thought i dont know where to find them
Maybe someone knows is there are some soundtracks of season 2 ? or it wasnt realeased? (NOT talking about ED and OP)
May 15, 2010 7:03 PM

Sep 2008
I actually really liked the series. A lot more baseball and a lot less trivial things happen...like Shigeno... and I don't even like baseball! Goro leaving seemed like the best idea. His hopping around teams like crazy really expands in other minor characters that I grow to like. Seeing past little league players not appear is odd, but oh well.

The lack of romance killed me a lot, but at a pivotal age of separation in Japan reminiscent of college in America, it was the most plausible. Sure he left Toshi in the end, but it kind of feels like there will be an endless rivalry and them working together would just pwn everyone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2012 6:14 AM
Apr 2011
A few things to mentions.

1. When will the 'theme' of Goro being in a weak team stop? Why does he insist on beating them? I understand the urge to want to win against a stronger team and all, but the thing is the team Goro will probably join prob won't be that strong. It'll just be a one man team as usual whilst his other team mates lag behind. Baseball is supposed to be a team sport, but Goro joining a weak team doesn't make that so. In fact, I was pretty happy for him joining Kaidou cause there are actually people who can keep up with his plays, and the fielders actually do something.
Makes me wonder, when he goes pro, will he join a weak team or something? I doubt his one man play can last and win in pro baseball games.

2. Will Goro ever start learning other types of balls than gyro ball or normal fastball? I remember in season 1 when he was a little kid and he threw a curve ball on his first try, why can't he do that again? I mean he's got great control but I don't understand why he insists on throwing continuous fast balls. Even if the speed is high, there's a limit to how fast one can throw, and players can always adjust slowly to his speed eventually.

3. I dislike the idea of how Goro keeps changing teams. At the end of season 1 he leaves Mifune Little, then halfway through this season he left Mifune East (well it had to be done because he graduated). And now he leaves Kaidou. I would really like to see him to stay in one team, and grow as a team together, and maybe with a few teammates make it to play pro baseball. Kinda just like how Shigeno and his dad- they've been playing together since high school.

4. Lastly, although I didn't really like Toshiya's attitude in the beginning of the season, I really like how he changed. I really like Toshiya and Goro together as catcher/pitcher battery. It kinda sucks that they will have to face off again cause every time that happens, one of them gets really pissed off at the other for some reason. I hope that maybe after high school baseball they'll go pro together as a battery. I prefer them to work together than face off as rivals.

Goro was really selfish to invite Toshiya to Kaidou with him and just left him there. He knew how much Toshiya wanted to team up with him and so it really seems like he just took advantage of that. I'm glad Komori didn't make it into Kaidou, otherwise he would've been left there just like Toshiya.

Yeah you can tell I don't really like Goro this season. Loved him when he was younger in season 1 though. His arrogance and confidence is adorable as a kid but that no longer has the same effect.
devilzzyJan 23, 2012 7:34 AM
Mar 19, 2012 6:49 PM

Apr 2010
Goro was fucking awesome this season. And this season was awesome too.
Apr 24, 2012 12:30 PM
Jun 2011
HawthorneKitty said:
I actually really liked the series. A lot more baseball and a lot less trivial things happen...like Shigeno... and I don't even like baseball! Goro leaving seemed like the best idea. His hopping around teams like crazy really expands in other minor characters that I grow to like. Seeing past little league players not appear is odd, but oh well.

The lack of romance killed me a lot, but at a pivotal age of separation in Japan reminiscent of college in America, it was the most plausible. Sure he left Toshi in the end, but it kind of feels like there will be an endless rivalry and them working together would just pwn everyone.

I totally agree with that, especially with the lack of romance.... Hopefully the next season gets better in these terms.The fact that many little league players weren't present was kind of disapointing... I would have loved to see the Mifune Dolphins and the Yokohama little league members, maybe also the death triangle =P I don't know why but I really missed Ryoko, Shimizu's "love rival" =) she was only there for a short period of time (a few minutes...).
Also for Goro: I don't know if it's his attitude or the way he looks, but I prefered him in the first season.

I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but the relationship between Toshi and Goro kinda reminds me of the one between Lellouch and Suzaku of Code Geass. Is it just me???

Anyway I found this season pretty good, it had many features the first one didn't, but I hope the next one will be better. Can't wait to see how Goro develops! What I can say for sure, is that I'm watching this series to the end =D
DestinyDragonMay 3, 2012 12:19 PM
May 4, 2012 10:10 PM

Jun 2011
4 words.

Better than first season!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 26, 2012 1:13 PM

Jun 2009
Solkiskey said:

Going to have to agree with this. I don't think Goro or the show in general ever really forgot about Baseball being a team sport and I'm not really sure how any one who is really paying attention can think that. I mean, Toshi was an obvious big help for Goro throughout the season and let's not forget the other people that helped him during this game (one of them even banged his head against a wall). It's just Goro wants to have a challenge, it's really pretty simple. And, I'm sure whatever team he ends up on will be better off as he usually helps improve those around him.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 13, 2012 5:49 AM
Jul 2012
Solkiskey said:

I absolutely agree.At first i thought that season one is a whole lot better but then i started to love season two and goru kun. I like toshi a lot and goru kun made a good decision at the end: Kidou is just not the right place for him the just suck the fun out of baseball . But there was one thing i didn't like :( Swamura kun was a lot cooler in season one I really liked him a lot.
-Reborn fever
Jul 21, 2012 11:18 AM

May 2010
i honestly think if this show was centered around another sport like.. ping pong or freaking bowling it would be better. i dont know. seems like goro needs to take on opponents by himself instead of on a team
Oct 11, 2012 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
goro's the fucking man

I swear I thought there's going to be a love triangle involved seeing those 2 girls on ED songs to spice shit up, but I'm glad that didn't happen

best baseball anime hands down...

shizuka = fap fap fap
Feb 3, 2013 5:23 AM
Mar 2012
this season should be renamed to "asshole goro's baseball life" because it's about a cocky baseball player that makes people go O_O every episode with his plot powers, yeah it's not about baseball or other baseball players, it's about mister 24/7 cocky smile. Maybe next season he'll be able to blow planets by farting, I wouldn't be surprised because it'd make as much sense as anything that happened in this show or even more, just cover it like always with some dramatic soundtrack and people will be fooled.
Mar 15, 2013 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
Solkiskey said:

Same, liked it much better than First season overall

the Dynamics between Goro and Toshi was really awesome, and i liked the idea that he was going to join the Kaidou since they were the strongest team and it's rare for a shonen hero to join the best team right off the bat ...sad he his again going to jump into another team which i hope he stops from season 3 onwards
Mar 24, 2013 2:01 PM

Aug 2010
Loved this season. Toshi and Goro's friendship is one of the best!!

Hope Toshi doesn't start acting like an ass to him again nxt season!
May 31, 2013 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
I'm not a fan of Goro's decision to leave Kaidou without Toshiya (agree that he should leave Kaidou though, it's not the place for him to reach his potential). Really wanted to see that dynamic duo mature together and become the best battery in history. Baseball is a team sport, and no matter how many strikeouts you can get, if you're the only kid on your team that can hit the ball, that's just 8 other outs. Just about every MLB team has a star pitcher and/or hitter, but it's the teams with more than one star and a lot of chemistry that get to the world series.

That being said, I'm a fan of Goro's confident attitude and desire to win. As long as he doesn't throw his teammates under the bus anymore, and is willing to let his teammates shoulder some of the pressure with him so his doesn't break again (haha get it?), I think Goro will become a solid character. Guess I'm just saying he needs to mature more.

As for the actual season, I'm glad they focused more on baseball and Goro/Toshiya's friendship. Would have preferred to see better romantic developments (the romance this season felt kinda half-assed and just thrown in there because Shimuzu is cute) but ehh this is a baseball anime first. I liked how Goro developed his skills and maturity throughout the season, and how Toshiya helped keep him motivated and in check. I like how he joined Kaidou, worked hard and didn't have things handed to him, and eventually reached his goals. I know how it feels to not be a coach's favorite despite being told I had a lot of talent for baseball, so I could sympathize with Goro a bit. I thought it was best for him to leave Kaidou, but still wish he would have taken Toshiya with him at least. I understand why the author decided to do things this way though.

In the end I really enjoyed this season and am looking forward to the next one. My only complaints are stated above. 9/10, probably because I love baseball so much haha.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jun 5, 2013 7:26 PM

Jul 2008
Goro is an awesome player no question about that. What I don't like is how he strings people along then leaves them like he did with Toshi. He is not the greatest of friends. I understand why he left, but it so wasn't fair to his team who he picked up this whole time. I like the fact that his team called him out on that bullshit.

Secondly, yes he needs another pitch. Even Gibson has more than his fastball.

3rd, now he's going to another high school where he'll probably have to build a team from scratch like the first season. I just have a funny feeling about that.

Other than that, great season.
Oct 25, 2013 2:59 AM

May 2009
I agree with Goro 100% leave them dem noobs and beat em! AHUEHUEHEUEHUE
Dec 2, 2013 7:05 PM

Apr 2011
I think it was obvious he was gonna leave

Think about it for a sec:

He enrolled in a school that is regularly in the national finals, and they even said at a certain point that only this high school can catch his pitches. There's not point in the main character being in the best baseball team, there wouldn't be any challenge.
Dec 8, 2013 9:48 PM

Aug 2009
devilzzy said:

1. When will the 'theme' of Goro being in a weak team stop? Why does he insist on beating them? I understand the urge to want to win against a stronger team and all, but the thing is the team Goro will probably join prob won't be that strong. It'll just be a one man team as usual whilst his other team mates lag behind. Baseball is supposed to be a team sport, but Goro joining a weak team doesn't make that so. In fact, I was pretty happy for him joining Kaidou cause there are actually people who can keep up with his plays, and the fielders actually do something.
Makes me wonder, when he goes pro, will he join a weak team or something? I doubt his one man play can last and win in pro baseball games.

2. Will Goro ever start learning other types of balls than gyro ball or normal fastball? I remember in season 1 when he was a little kid and he threw a curve ball on his first try, why can't he do that again? I mean he's got great control but I don't understand why he insists on throwing continuous fast balls. Even if the speed is high, there's a limit to how fast one can throw, and players can always adjust slowly to his speed eventually.

3. I dislike the idea of how Goro keeps changing teams. At the end of season 1 he leaves Mifune Little, then halfway through this season he left Mifune East (well it had to be done because he graduated). And now he leaves Kaidou. I would really like to see him to stay in one team, and grow as a team together, and maybe with a few teammates make it to play pro baseball. Kinda just like how Shigeno and his dad- they've been playing together since high school.

4. Lastly, although I didn't really like Toshiya's attitude in the beginning of the season, I really like how he changed. I really like Toshiya and Goro together as catcher/pitcher battery. It kinda sucks that they will have to face off again cause every time that happens, one of them gets really pissed off at the other for some reason. I hope that maybe after high school baseball they'll go pro together as a battery. I prefer them to work together than face off as rivals.

Goro was really selfish to invite Toshiya to Kaidou with him and just left him there. He knew how much Toshiya wanted to team up with him and so it really seems like he just took advantage of that. I'm glad Komori didn't make it into Kaidou, otherwise he would've been left there just like Toshiya.

Yeah you can tell I don't really like Goro this season. Loved him when he was younger in season 1 though. His arrogance and confidence is adorable as a kid but that no longer has the same effect.

ALL OF THIS!!
I couldn't have said it better myself. Did not like Goro this season as much as I thought I would. and I wanted him and Toshi to become the ultimate battery! to defeat everyone together. I rather them be together than compete as rivals.
Well lets see how season 3 goes.

Dec 22, 2013 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
Well, that was a bit frustrating! Goro was tolerable in season 1 but now he's just this dumb protag who's always acting self-centered and irresponsible. I mean, he's badass and all but he has to stop acting so annoying. The first arc in this season (the bullies joining Mifune East) was irritating to watch because it was just like season 1's whole bullying Komori arc. The last match between Kaidou's first string vs second was also lame because I found it too unrealistic for Goro, Toshi and a couple of amateur players to beat the prestigious first string.

Man, I seriously wish Major could be more like Oofuri where the pitcher and catcher stay together but alas, Toshi and idiot will inevitably separate in season 3. :(

Stupid Goku Goro. Can't this idiot just stay in one school with one team instead of trying to be the best and switching teams every few episodes?!

8/10 nevertheless. I quite enjoyed the Dream Island arc as well as a few other episodes in the middle. Might dip down to a 7/10 depending on my reaction to the next few seasons.

I agree with devilzzy's post. I hate how Goro keeps on switching teams, making new teams with rookies, throwing only one type of pitch, and ditching Toshi. :/
Mar 15, 2014 10:30 AM

Dec 2012
Initially I was disappointed with Goro's decision to leave Kaidou, but I think it's as Toshiya said - Goro's core feelings for baseball haven't changed one bit and he's still playing baseball the way he wants to, which is to constantly seek a challenge which will let him take pride in his road to becoming a pro.

Not to mention Kaidou wasn't realistically working out for him. It's true that if he stayed there, he probably would have secured a safe road to the big leagues. However, going back to what Honda said, there are things that are more important than becoming a pro and I'm sure Goro wouldn't be satisfied with that route.

It seems to be a recurring theme in this series to have Goro join a group of underdogs, build them up, and move on. It really shows that he not only has influence on the world of baseball as a player himself, but on those who take part in it as well. His rivalry with Toshiya is probably going to shape up into something much greater than if they had stuck together as a battery.

Overall I enjoyed this season and couldn't stop watching once things picked up. I liked the greater focus on baseball and development, although it's not to say the drama from season 1 wasn't welcome. I really hope they stop relying on homeruns so much in the future seasons. I realize there's a limit to what you can do with baseball in terms of twists and turns, but the constant homers have made it more and more expected.

8/10, I wonder what Goro's next team will look like.
Apr 3, 2014 1:28 PM

Dec 2010
I can see why people are annoyed by Goro, and I'm pretty pissed that he's leaving Toshi.

But the point, unlike a lot of other baseball anime, isn't for Goro to reach Koshien. He aims much higher than that, he wants to be the very best. He doesn't want to leave the mound, he wants to challenge himself against the very best, even if they are his former teammates...not very team spirit, true, and that'll always be his weak point, but that's the spirit of a true kaibutsu.

But lol @Eonomoto being voiced by Sakurai Takahiro, that guy also voices the best player (arguably...) in Diamond no Ace

It's sad though, missing out on the chance of a golden battery
PknoctisApr 3, 2014 1:44 PM
May 28, 2014 8:44 AM

May 2014
This is making me sad.. WHY THE HELL HE NEEDS TO LEAVE FROM KAIDOU?!!! Now, they're going to be rivals again. Ah, I don't want that. Toshi-kun is somewhat scary when he gets so serious against Goro. He fights objectively, not letting emotions go in the way. He can't even y'know, just greet him normally and be friendly each other.

Barion-Zara said:
Hope Toshi doesn't start acting like an ass to him again nxt season!

^ THIS! I will miss the gentle and kind Toshi-kun! It hurts me when I see him act like that with Goro. T-T

Off to third season! XD
Jul 5, 2014 11:46 PM

Jul 2013
devilzzy said:

^Couldn't have said it better. It makes me so frustrated to keep seeing this self centered idiot change teams. Really wanted to see more of Goro and Toshi's friendship.
Sep 15, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2013
The last game was probably my favorite game thus far. But seriously, the author needs to stop doing the same things over and over again. 8/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 26, 2014 5:14 PM

Jan 2013
I love how motionless the main team's coach was, after the ball sliced so close to his head!
Anyhow, decent season, not as many feels as the first season, but still good!
Dec 31, 2014 11:51 AM

Nov 2009
Loved it!, And while I am sad that Toshiya and Goro are splitting up (Never even played an official game together), I am kind of excited to see what school he chooses next. Although knowing Goro it'll be another team without any baseball players. Perhaps he will go to the Mifune school, it would be nice to see him back together with Komori. Anyways, good season, and now for the next XD
Jan 23, 2015 10:20 PM

Apr 2014
First half the of season wasn't bad at all but once it dropped most the characters it really lost speed. It was boring watching Goro be so egotistical and solo. Also, I really hope he picks up some new pitches... the single gyroball is boring as hell. Give him some more tools in his arsenal please. I don't think I can stand another season of just a single pitch.
Apr 14, 2015 11:22 AM

Aug 2013
I agree with most of you.

This season is better and more captivating than the first season, but I highly prefer the Gorou in the first season. His reasoning for leaving Kaidou High seems utter nonsense to me. After all those things they encountered, it would be better if he just stayed with Toshi-kun. But I guess it can't be helped, he likes to make things so difficult for himself, it's just his personality.
Jun 30, 2015 8:03 AM

Aug 2013
Ah. I just wanted to see Egashira face. I would have loved to see an even more crushed reaction, as his dreams crumble.

So Goro leave again... That man is a wanderer. Can't stay too long at the same place. I hope he find his place at one point.

That season was fun. A bit inconsistent and in the end, there was unfortunatly no ''real'' game. Goro is still the same unknown legendary pitcher, that goes from place to place. I hope they improve that bit in the next season, that we see a real tournament.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 22, 2015 8:51 AM

Jun 2009
bretty good, i liked it better than s1, although it was a bit less comedic. good shit! on to s3!
Aug 7, 2015 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
8.5/10 Good finale, restarting will prove to be a big challenge though
Oct 13, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2010
SweetOmelette said:
devilzzy said:

^Couldn't have said it better. It makes me so frustrated to keep seeing this self centered idiot change teams. Really wanted to see more of Goro and Toshi's friendship.

I understand why Goro shouldn't be in Kaido, it would be boring otherwise. But common if the next team will be a bunch of complete newbies yet again, it will be really annoying to watch. Baseball is a team centric sport and ever since the beginning of the show we see endless amount of examples of one man winning the game. I never bought that one man making his team mates stronger by his presence like it happened endless amount of time. At least for some time there was Toshi in this season, and while his character annoyed me for a lot time, stopped annoying me for some time, and started annoying me to no end yet again, at least when he was there, Goro wasn't that one man team doing both throwing as well as being the best batter.

As for Goro planning to go pro. It feels like he never really did that so I really want something to punish him for keep on choosing the worst grow environment for himself. In the end without good trainer, good training facilities, etc, one can't become the super star. At some point in life it's there is a need to encounter those and after encountering them, DO NOT GIVE UP ON IT.
Nov 13, 2015 2:44 AM

Nov 2015
I'm glad Goro decided to leave, it never sat right with me that those two were on the same team, it just felt like there was something missing..
Dec 21, 2015 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
Liked seeing the characters grown up, still liked S1 better though.
Made no sense to me seeing Goro join Kaido in the first place.
His reasoning was to get stronger and to vs the members in varsity and then just leave..the things they did on the Island seemed like it could be done anywhere if you decided to push yourself, like those insane drills. Also knowing he would leave, he invites Komori and Toshiya to the tryout? To have them make it and just leave them is kinda cruel if you ask me..
It makes sense he shouldn't be at Kaido, but he makes even less sense to do the tryout in the first place.
Overall it was enjoyable, solid 8/10, one less than S1.
Feb 27, 2016 7:33 PM
Jan 2016
i don't understand you guys.. why would u wanna see goro in OP team? it would be super boring. yeah i like goro+toshi battery too, but i wanna see goro+komori again!!!!!! probably wont happen tho :(
Mar 24, 2016 1:20 AM

Mar 2012
It was alright but the first season was better for me. Something about them playing as kids was just more enjoyable, especially their little group of four. In this season Goro has become more full of himself and the author isn't really helping by making him wreck everyone with one freaking pitching style for 9 innings. I did enjoy the Dream Island arc and the Scholarship game was entertaining as well.

Now time to have Goro join yet another team >_>
Apr 13, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2008
So I watched two seasons of this, hoping to see something worthwhile and I have to say i was very disappointed. There is zero character development and nothing to distinguish them from each other, it is basically a group of boys screaming at each other when they are on the baseball field. There is nothing outside of the game to make them who they are and therefore there is nothing at all interesting about them as characters. There is only so much repetitive "challenges" I can watch the MC face without getting bored as I know they aren't challenges at all. No matter how hard the opponent or training is, Gorou is a superhuman who can do anything and overcome anything. How do I get excited? It can't be done.

What we do have for plot and character advancement is a series of grunts, gasps and other exclamations as Gorou makes various boasts about how great he is and what he will do next. Of course he will succeed because the plot has declared him to be invincible. Think he's about to crack? Nope, naturally through the power of manliness and baseball love he comes out on top every time and makes everyone else look dumb for doubting him, of course! Maybe this wouldn't be so bad if I had any connection to Gorou in the slightest or cared about him but he was just a baseball god with no real
personality or interests outside of the game. Perhaps this is simply a weakness of the genre? I have only seen Cross Game (which i loved btw) so I don't have a wide viewing of baseball or any sports anime but the fact that there was almost NOTHING outside the field and what there was felt like filler that it was hard to care about any of the characters, not Gorou and certainly not anyone else who were so thin to be almost invisible. Then of course there was what may have been my biggest problem

Gorou is an asshole. A huge undeniable and unlikable asshole. Why am I supposed to care in the slightest for this arrogant, selfish, narcissistic braggart? Who even when cheering his team on is only doing it so he can win an look good himself? If the MC is unlikable and then the rest of the characters are so thin I forget they exist as soon as they go off screen, what precisely is there in this anime that makes it worth watching? Why are these seasons ranked in the 100s on this site? Is watching games played by cardboard characters whose outcome is obvious from the very beginning (and the steps to the outcome not that much better) really worth watching something like 125 episodes for? Granted I've only been through M2 but as M2 was exactly the same as M1 I can't imagine the following series being at all different.

I was going to rank this a 5/10 as some of the baseball scenes were halfway entertaining but reading through what I've already typed I really can't justify even giving this a mediocre rating and have to drop it to a 4 as i simply can not give this anime even the slightest endorsement. I was genuinely hoping for another Cross Game as I mentioned earlier which did everything this series didn't. Meaningful characters who changed throughout the show, distinct personalities and signs of life outside the field and supporting characters who actually had meat on their bones. Of course Cross Game perhaps could be called more slice of life than sports I suppose so perhaps a major problem here is a "pure" sports genre as it gives no room for characters to breathe when it is all baseball baseball baseball and gives me the viewer no reason to care about their improvement. Its a shame really, I gave it a shot though I can't justify wasting any more time continuing with M3 when I am not getting any enjoyment as it is so this is where I get off.

Oh and quitting the perfect baseball school for Gotou? I know he is a douche but c'mon...
Apr 20, 2016 3:17 AM

Feb 2013
And again he leaves a team behind.
Komori is waiting for him to be back, it's gonna be a big challenge for them but I'm sure that Goro will win.
Aug 30, 2016 9:34 PM

Feb 2008
And so much about the GoroToshi combo lol. Secretly wished that Toshi followed, but guess it's not happening. I just wish that Goro picked a good team next season, because the matches at Kaido were more interesting than the early Mifune East episodes where people can't even catch balls. And tbh with a team like Mifune East he'll never even reach Koushien, it would be pushing the suspension of disbelief far too much.

Overall I enjoyed the season. I really liked the character stories and the drama, especially the whole thing about injuries, since for some reasons it's not a common theme in sports shows. I think that the first season was much better though, but I'll probably rate both the same, because both some issues relating games themselves. The game might be better than standard sports shounens, but the way willpower beats everything can get tiresome sometimes.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 14, 2016 6:20 PM

Oct 2016
Goro would never be truly happy at Kaido; I liked that he admitted it was his own self-doubt to attend the school and try to beat the main team. I am a bit conflicted though, Major has this problem of making you grow attached to side characters and then introducing a new batch in the next season...
Feb 12, 2017 8:36 AM

Mar 2015
HawthorneKitty said:

I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but the relationship between Toshi and Goro kinda reminds me of the one between Lellouch and Suzaku of Code Geass. Is it just me???

So i am not the only one who was reminded by code geases too. I thought that something was off when no one mentioned the similarity. Maybe also toshi's voice actor triggered my memory first
Feb 14, 2017 7:28 AM

Jul 2015
Another last episode another farewell to his friends ;__;
But it will be a new journey.
That's what I like from Major.

And Honda becomes a really great player now. The rivalry between Honda and Toshi is back :D
I like how Honda beat the main team of Kaido and then set a new journey to beat Kaido High School.

This season is better than first season for me. We learned so many things about baseball this season. A solid 9/10 for me
Aug 30, 2017 5:06 PM

Nov 2011
I thought this season was just as good as the first. It just has a different sort of vibe to it. If this show was about building a sense of family then it would have been better to get most of the old gang back together and have everyone become great together. As soon as it was clear that wasn't going to happen, I don't think it makes sense to complain about Gorou leaving teams to pursue his baseball.

I wasn't sure Major could subsist on character relationships and drama, but this season tells me that it can. The tension between Gorou and Toshiya was often palpable, and their entire relationship is great to watch both through the highs and the lows; it just sucks you in. I also appreciated how Kaidou's baseball philosophy was given context through its history.

In the end I don't think Gorou was necessarily right or wrong to leave Kaidou. There were a lot of perspectives about and attitudes toward baseball shown this season, yet I don't feel like any of them were portrayed as out-and-out wrong. I don't even hold the vice coach's business approach as inherently wrong even though I personally find it somewhat distasteful. Everyone in this series pursues baseball in their own way and for their own reasons, and Gorou's reasons have never changed.

You can call him selfish or whatever, but I don't think Gorou particularly owes anything to any of these guys, and it's not as if they couldn't have stopped him either. They knew he would leave if they won. If Gorou hadn't won their respect with his infectious enthusiasm for exciting baseball, he would still be at Kaidou because he wouldn't have won the game.

Neither the show nor Gorou has forgotten that this is a team sport.

Thus I'm fully satisfied.

One thing I do hope is that Gorou's next team will at least be good even if they aren't great. They don't have to be crazy-awesome near-Kaidou-tier, but I'd prefer to not restart with another ragtag group that can barely catch a ball.
Dec 17, 2017 4:51 PM

Nov 2016
Boi that was quite the ride and overall even better than the first season imo, since it emphasized the sports aspect even more.

Gorou met a lot of people, made friends and rivals,overcame many stuggles and grew over himself.

His farewell was quite sad,but now he's off to another challenge, can't wait to see what problems he's going to solve and what kind of team he puts together,but there will be many familiar faces for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 6, 2019 1:29 PM

Oct 2013
Fantastic! Amazing final episode of the second season.

Im so happy about the win. And how everyone has changed. The opening song during the show down gave me some nostalgic feelings.

Looking forward to see another good written season, thrilling games and emotional happenings.

I really love the series!

Oh btw: during the last episodes I have started to like the opening alot. Not quiet as good as the opening from season 1 but still enjoyable.
My only regret is having regrets!
Jun 30, 2019 6:02 PM

May 2015
Liked Goro the whole season, badass and all

Pissed off now because he asked Toshi to join the team with him only to leave him behind

It's called manipulation, he made Toshi join the team for him so he can abandon him there
Feb 27, 2020 12:02 PM

Dec 2019
Well sucks that he leaves the team cause for once if he stayed in that team maybe we can see them winning a tournament but w/e,overall amazing episode to end the season well done !
                                                         đź–¤   

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S2 Episode 3 Discussion

jacobpaige - Apr 13, 2010

22 by Bigdog77778 »»
Sep 8, 2022 3:27 PM

Poll: » Major S2 Episode 4 Discussion

23 by Meranwise »»
Aug 31, 2022 4:12 PM

Poll: » Major S2 Episode 14 Discussion

canis - Oct 31, 2009

28 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 8, 2022 11:37 PM

Poll: » Major S2 Episode 18 Discussion

23 by BlaizeV »»
Apr 27, 2022 11:39 AM

Poll: » Major S2 Episode 25 Discussion

jacobpaige - Apr 14, 2010

25 by Unkrowned »»
Oct 16, 2021 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.