Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 29, 2011 10:01 PM

Nov 2009
Tachi why don't you go for a KISSSS!!
It was soooo close.

And please officially dump the girlfriend of yours before you make a move on Chihaya.
I don't want you to be label as a jerk.
Nov 29, 2011 11:21 PM

Feb 2009
Chihaya surely deserves her title as Beauty in Vain.
She's a complete idiot !
I mean, going hard in a match with someone wouldn't always be a good idea. It really depends on each person's characteristic and attitude.
Mostly, if it's too hard, ppl will give up or feel depressed.

This idea only works out if the opponent has Chihaya as his/her idol and aspire to be like her, or does love Karuta wholeheartedly. If the opponent's like 'meh,, I don't care much about Karuta' , this method will turn out to be damn boring.

I still remember one saying from Hikaru no Go ( but I cannot remember who said it and to whom )( and cannot remember the whole content neither, but it's sth like ... )
"Improvement in skill only occurs when one plays ( Go ) against another who is around one's level"
Competing brings about improvement to both.

Oh anyway, Taichi's been so understanding and kind :D !! I like that part of him !
Nov 29, 2011 11:30 PM

Feb 2011
Damn, this is depressing.

Taichi = doomed to suffer.

The rest of this show will have Taichi angsting while Chihaya chases Arata.
Nov 30, 2011 12:10 AM

Apr 2010
I still have hope for Taichi winning over Chihaya; because I think her infaturation with Arata is more for his ability as a Karuta player than as an actual romantic interest. Taichi is still in a much better position to develop that sort of relationship with her than Arata is. Pretty much every time she talks about Arata it's in conjunction with Karuta; it's his skill and passion that she is obsessed with.
Nov 30, 2011 12:20 AM

Sep 2011
How did Kana not react when Taichi was changing right beside her?! O___o That lucky girl....

Heheheh Kana and Kamano are so cute...Its nice that they didnt get mad at Chihaya for pushing them.

AND here starts the romantic drama~ Mwahaha! I think Taichi was surprised with himself by making <i> THAT MOVE</i>...heheh~

Repeat forever. Promise forever
That you'll keep me in your heart.
Nov 30, 2011 12:27 AM

May 2010
OMG. The whole episode is so WIN!!! Awesome. Just awesome.
Nov 30, 2011 12:29 AM

Nov 2011
ArcrexK said:

This is exactly what I don't want to see happen.
Nov 30, 2011 3:11 AM

May 2010
Taichi definitely got jealous there thats why he ate the crust of the cake.
Nov 30, 2011 3:35 AM

Mar 2011
Chihayafuru is amazing, all episodes are very well done. Btw, poor Taichi
Nov 30, 2011 3:44 AM
Jan 2009
marchefka said:

Because Arata IS the better looking one. :D But I think we symphatise with Taichi and we cheer him on because we know he harbours feelings for Chihaya and tries (subtly) to express them, but she's all "karuta this, karuta that." Poor guy.
Anyway, this show is brilliant. Somehow, I really want to play karuta now XD
Ganbare, Taichi! :D

Exactly! :) That’s what I’m trying to convey here. It makes absolutely no sense to downgrade the fact that some people are actually rooting for Taichi to just his looks when Arata himself is pretty good looking. Besides, some opinions are bound to change once Arata is properly included in the anime – people who switched from Arata to Taichi will switch back to Arata again. I mean Taichi is the obvious underdog here, so I don’t know why it’s so bad of us to cheer for the poor guy.
Nov 30, 2011 4:03 AM
Nov 30, 2011 4:44 AM

Feb 2008
I feel bad for taichi. :(
But I love arata more. anyway, I think it'll be better if they aim for karuta first before the love thing. :D
... =_=

Nov 30, 2011 6:50 AM

Nov 2011
Auri_Venia said:
How did Kana not react when Taichi was changing right beside her?! O___o That lucky girl...

looooooooool.. thats right..
btw.. aaaah~ how depressing, i really wanted to see his room T__T..

Nov 30, 2011 7:04 AM

Jun 2008
Taichi~~~ so cute~~

Arata´s text *.*

I wish Taichi and Arata were gay for each other. I loved Chihaya in the beginning but now she is becoming annoying.

And the worst of it is that if they were really gay Chihaya would support them because she is soooooooooooo dull and oblivious. =_=

Karuta is great but not thinking in anything else besides that 24 hours a day becomes extremely tiring. She is like that.

Not even Arata that is like a Karuta god, does that. =_=

anyway i dont really care with whom she ends up with. In fact i strongly believe that this will be a threesome till the end.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 30, 2011 7:05 AM
Sep 2011
great ep, as usal.
For the shipping-thing: I hope Chihaya ends up with Arata. But I l thik Taichis chances are not bad, at all. Well, lets see. I can imagine that they make an end which is open and everyone is just friends.
Nov 30, 2011 7:31 AM

Mar 2010
Omg that end, fucking Chihaya.
My stomach is clenching and feeling sick for poor Tachi, how unfair;
he must feel so awful right now, to think he almost didn't even tell her!!

BUT!

I have to wonder; where the fudge is HIS girlfriend during all this??
He's practicing Karuta EVERY DAY and do you suppose his girlfriend is just like, "kay, that's cool," with everything??

I feel pretty damn bad for Taichi but COME ON!!

GROW SOME BALLS BRO!!!

Dalek-baka said:

and so YAOI appears!
Taichi x Arata!

Orulyon said:

I wish Taichi and Arata were gay for each other. I loved Chihaya in the beginning but now she is becoming annoying.

And the worst of it is that if they were really gay Chihaya would support them because she is soooooooooooo dull and oblivious. =_=

Awesome.
Fishcaek-ChanNov 30, 2011 7:37 AM

Nov 30, 2011 7:44 AM
Nov 2011
Arata isn't going to appear until Episode 11.
Nov 30, 2011 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
Apparently I am the only one who thinks the show's getting boring without Arata. ^^; However, I don't mind if Chihaya ends up with Taichi 'cause at first I thought I was going to like her but she really is "blind to everything but karuta" and I find her more and more annoying. (I want to keep Arata for myself, lol. xD I need episode 11, now! >_<)
Nov 30, 2011 9:43 AM

Apr 2011
I'm rooting for Arata and Taichi at the same time while simultaneously hoping that Chihaya ends up as the Karata Queen. They've both got good qualities and I don't want either of them to end up heartbroken =-(

5/5 ~~
Nov 30, 2011 10:17 AM

Aug 2010
Pretty nice episode. Taichis feelings towards Chihaya are more clear now. I can't wait until Arata returns
Nov 30, 2011 10:39 AM

Dec 2007
I'm going to laugh like crazy when this show ends without a pairing being formed. Judging by nearly all the comments in this thread, there are going to be soooo many people butthurt.

Good episode. I enjoy the cohesion that the Karuta club seems to have. I'm looking forward to regionals/nationals.
Nov 30, 2011 10:47 AM

Aug 2011
great episode, infact, amazing episode!!! The episode went by soo quick, mostly because of how great it was!
Damn, i'm feeling really sad for Taichi, but for a minute there, i thought that it was his girlfriend texting him...
Nov 30, 2011 10:50 AM

Aug 2010
Taichi ;_;
Nov 30, 2011 10:59 AM
Sep 2008
First of all, *Fangirl squeal for the cake stealing*, but after that I'm starting to feel really bad for Taichi. He tries his best, but even with the smallest gestures, Chihaya gets more excited and happy by Arata >< I'm kinda conflicted because Chihaya is really annoying, predictable and has no empathy, but I also want Taichi to be happy, so I'm gonna join the 'Rooting for an AWESOME girl to fall in love with Taichi and win him over from Chihaya'-club ><

Btw.. Am I the only one seriously wanting to see Taichi's room after his reaction in that episode? >< *Wishing reeeeally hard for that to happen*~
Nov 30, 2011 11:18 AM

Oct 2011
Meddigo said:
I'm going to laugh like crazy when this show ends without a pairing being formed. Judging by nearly all the comments in this thread, there are going to be soooo many people butthurt.

Good episode. I enjoy the cohesion that the Karuta club seems to have. I'm looking forward to regionals/nationals.

Like 90% there won't be any :D and roar will reach the sky!
that 10% is yaoi option - I tell you, it will be like it.

And even more... compasion needs it.
On one side we have nice guy, inteligent, with empathy, generaly good person and that's Taichi. And for him to be married with someone like Chihaya... what sins did he comitted?
On other side we have guy without personality, social skills, empathy but with bike (unless he stole it) and that's Arata. And let him marry and have kids with someone like Chihaya... what sins did that child comitted? And our poor Earth?
Nov 30, 2011 11:32 AM

Aug 2007
Loved the Taichi moments. I don't care who ends Chihaya ends up with, Arata is fine too. At least they're a club now.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Nov 30, 2011 12:47 PM

Feb 2008
i was rooting for Arata since first episoooooode.
Taichi has a girlfriend anyway...stoopid Taichi. break up with her, since you obviously don't care about her anyway... D: it's awful. ; A;
but but...even though i ship ChihayArata...there's a little bit of hope that i side-ship TaiChihaya xD

anyways anyways~
yet again, Arata wins the round!!
that's Arata, 9. Taichi, 0. LOLOL. <going by episodes, since i can't be bothered to count them. LMAO.
poor Taichi. Orz

Nov 30, 2011 1:06 PM

Jul 2010
ArcrexK said:
Damn, this is depressing.

Taichi = doomed to suffer.

its really depressing.
Nov 30, 2011 1:15 PM
Nov 2009
why is it that the all anime that isnt romance actually have the best romance

fucking bullshit&%¤)%¤

and ofc we wont have a pair in the end ffs.... wish we would

fkn dropped

PS karuta is still stupid 9 episodes later
Nov 30, 2011 1:49 PM
Nov 2010
That was a pretty good episode...
Nov 30, 2011 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
prismheart said:
Poor Taichi... I'm worried about his future in this show for some reason.

I understand your concern as well.

First off; I normally not take part in episode discussions (not my style), but since this series have been giving me so much rage lately; I figured I'd sound off my opinion.

Why so mad? Well I see Tachi doing everything he can to help Chihaya; to starting the club, helping the new members, and general other gofer stuff. But once Arata finally makes an appearance, all his efforts will be for nothing.

We all know its because Arata introduced karuta to Chihaya and it was his passion that made her fall in love for the game, but I can say the same for Tachi who is helping her realize her dream as well.

I'm not a big fan of a mans hard work going unrewarded and I'll be rooting for Tachi all the way, but in the end I see him ultimately getting chaffed.

Thats my 2 cents so take it FWIW.

edit: Plus I don't really believe Tachi has a girlfriend anyway. Even if he did, it doesn't seem its anything serious, because he still harbors strong feelings for Chihaya. I believe he said he had a girlfriend because Chihaya confronted him about it and said yes during the moment, but we hadn't heard anything about his gf since then (to my memory anyway)
JmacNov 30, 2011 2:01 PM
Nov 30, 2011 5:15 PM
Jul 2018
It's already been 9 episodes.
Damn.
This show is so damn good.
The music, the atmosphere.
I love how every episode brings tears to my eyes.
I can't wait for the OST to be released.
Nov 30, 2011 5:17 PM

Apr 2010
I'm still super confident that Taichi holds a stronger chance at actually having some sort of romantic involvement with Chihaya than Arata. It remains to be seen exactly how Chihaya is going to respond to Arata when he finally shows up, but I still think her infatuation with him is purely related to his skill at Karuta, rather than an actual interest in him. Remember, this is memories from when she first started playing when they were still kids, and she has an awful lot more memories of her and Taichi in a much more personal fashion. She just wants to see Arata again so they can all play Karuta together and get better and win tournaments, rather than because she's actually got romantic feelings for him.

Just look at every time she talks about him now: it's also about something to do with Karuta, and never actually something to do with him. Her single-mindedness for Karuta really does just blot out anything else from her mind.

Sure the show will probably have some sort of quiet love triangle, but I really don't think it'll go anywhere near the direction of Chihaya and Arata.
Nov 30, 2011 5:34 PM

Dec 2009
I've forgotten something, isn't Taichi dating anymore? He doesn't talk about his girlfriend.
I'm not sure if he mentioned something in the other episodes.
Nov 30, 2011 5:48 PM

Jun 2011
Liinah said:
I've forgotten something, isn't Taichi dating anymore? He doesn't talk about his girlfriend.
I'm not sure if he mentioned something in the other episodes.

Taichi said in ep 1 that he has a girlfriend. And i believe that "girlfriend" he was talking about showed up in Ep 4. :) It was a short haired plain-looking girl, and I just have to say that even Kanade is cuter~

Of course, Taichi doesn't seem to be attached to that girl at all since he still has feelings for Chihaya.

But damn, I wish they'd break-up so that there will be no more walls to Taichi's declaration of love.. :((

*Sighs* I just don't get it why Taichi is still prolonging her relationship with that girl even though he himself knows that he loves Chihaya..
Momo-HimeNov 30, 2011 5:55 PM
"Them who looks blind at ANIME, looks blind at SALVATION."
Nov 30, 2011 6:29 PM

Dec 2009
Momo-Hime said:
Of course, Taichi doesn't seem to be attached to that girl at all since he still has feelings for Chihaya.

But damn, I wish they'd break-up so that there will be no more walls to Taichi's declaration of love.. :((

Yeah, but well, there's still Arata in the way. ;A;
But I want Chihaya and Taichi to end up together, especially after the cake scene at the end of this episode, that was... ♥
Nov 30, 2011 6:50 PM

Jun 2011
Liinah said:
Momo-Hime said:

Yeah, but well, there's still Arata in the way. ;A;
But I want Chihaya and Taichi to end up together, especially after the cake scene at the end of this episode, that was... ♥

Totally! I actually replayed that part a couple of times. oh. and also the stairs scene. :)) so... it seems we're shipmates. :))
"Them who looks blind at ANIME, looks blind at SALVATION."
Dec 1, 2011 1:37 AM

Jan 2011
What do you do when the girl you really care for has totally friend zoned you and appears to have another love interest? What happens when after you move on, do your best to forget about her, and even find someone who is a passable substitute, she reappears and wants to spend a lot of time with you? You find out pretty quickly just how much you have gotten over her--in Taichi's case, not much at all.

In Chihaya's defence, she really doesn't seem to be very aware of relationships or a good reader of people's reactions (witness how oblivious she was to the toal exhaustion of her juniors that day). If she knew how Taichi felt about her, and she still went ahead with dragging him off to Arata's place, or interacting at close quarters with him every day, it would just be too cruel...

One thing I found interesting was her reaction when Taichi grabbed her wrist to stop her from going up to his room. I don't know what he has up there (though I'd bet there is a picture of Chihaya somewhere in the room), but when he stopped her I think for the first time she realized that Taichi sees her as a girl, not just as a friend. I also think that she might have had a reaction to his physical touch that surprised her. (Of course I'm now a Taichi x Chihaya shipper so this might just be wishful thinking on my part.)

And regarding his "girlfriend" from the earlier episodes. Having seen the way he behaves towards Chihaya and the other members of the club, and his general attitude towards other people, I can't believe that he would continue to string the other girl along. Even when Arata's text comes along to totally kill the mood and any chances he might have with Chihaya that evening, he still does the right thing and shows her the text (and in return for that gets a wonderful memory of Chihaya's reaction to replay over and over in his head for years to come). Chihaya also has him jumping through so many hoops he really doesn't have time for any other relationships.
rodacDec 1, 2011 1:43 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 1, 2011 6:48 AM
Jan 2008
I think taichi probably broke up with his girlfriend already but is yet to be shown. too bad taichi chose the"as long as she is happy then I'm happy route" we still don't know about arata's feeling toward chihaya yet. but if taichi comes out of the bush and confess then we might have a different ending.
Dec 1, 2011 10:08 AM

Jun 2011
Seriously, I hate Chihaya. [?] Poor Taichi.
Dec 1, 2011 10:28 AM

May 2009
BEAUTIFUL episode!!!
I LOVED the small nuances that left Chihaya thinking... or rather, stopped her thoughts and her heartbeat for those few moments when she was faced with the truth that Taichi is a guy, a male, and the level of proximity and warmth which she was made conscious about that was suddenly new to her.

HOW did Oe know where she was and where to run since she reached Chihaya's place half-asleep? But anyhow, the cake thing was SO sweet! It was a surprise for us as well. I was really thinking Taichi will be taking out Karuta cards! :)))

I'm proud of Taichi that he showed her the message Arata sent him. :) Good! He respects Chihaya's sentiments.
My thoughts: Either Arata is an idiot or a really good strategist.
Idiot = Why not send Chihaya the message directly?? Why'd he have Taichi's number when he clearly cares more about Chihaya (Karuta Maniacs)?? HOW'd he get Taichi's number?? >.<
Strategist = Sending a message to Arata and asking him to relay his wish to Chihaya will be like a virtual get-together. The three of them sharing similar sentiments. Another question: Arata was aware of Taichi's protective cover over Chihaya... Was this a way to give Taichi an opportunity to talk to Chihaya? Or was it a sort of challenge? Hmmm... Interesting play of the subconscious.
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Dec 1, 2011 10:40 AM

Oct 2011
Kundalini said:

My thoughts: Either Arata is an idiot or a really good strategist.
Idiot = Why not send Chihaya the message directly?? Why'd he have Taichi's number when he clearly cares more about Chihaya (Karuta Maniacs)?? HOW'd he get Taichi's number?? >.<
Strategist = Sending a message to Arata and asking him to relay his wish to Chihaya will be like a virtual get-together. The three of them sharing similar sentiments. Another question: Arata was aware of Taichi's protective cover over Chihaya... Was this a way to give Taichi an opportunity to talk to Chihaya? Or was it a sort of challenge? Hmmm... Interesting play of the subconscious.

Arata is idiot or has no idea what he is doing (he didn't have too much opportunity how to learn things) :]
and where is the challenge? in inteligence, social skills, knowledge and achievements Taichi's is far above glass guy - who is only good at playing one card game :3

which leads to YAOI! and here Arata is the passive one who wants to be cared upon - like a kitten :]
Dec 1, 2011 11:23 AM

Dec 2009
Dalek-baka said:
which leads to YAOI! and here Arata is the passive one who wants to be cared upon - like a kitten :]

I almost cried laughing thinking: "How did this end up in yaoi talk?"
XD
Dec 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Oct 2011
well I don't want people to fight
but we have here people who like Arata
and those who like Taichi
also lots of bad things about Chihaya
so only way not to hurt those gentle, pretty, butterfly-like boys (and avoid Flame War) is to pair them together!
Dec 1, 2011 12:20 PM

Apr 2010
rodac said:
What do you do when the girl you really care for has totally friend zoned you

I can't stand the 'friend zone' X(

I know everyone has been saying Chihaya can't see past karuta, but remember this adapted from a josei manga, so the romance part will most likely come after all the karuta has been played. Karuta is just a convenient plot device in this romantic story.
Dec 1, 2011 5:52 PM

Jul 2009
Awww, It was so nice to see everyone come together for her birthday, even after she pushed them so hard. Also, I think that she is just wanting the best for the club. Good episode, can;t wait ti see next weeks
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2011 12:54 AM

Mar 2008
ok, I love the ChiahyaXTachi scenes and

I WANNA SEE ARATA so badly.. >.<
Dec 2, 2011 2:04 AM

Jun 2011
ARATA AND TAICH ARE BOTH AWESOME
Dec 2, 2011 8:20 AM
Sep 2011
I just love this show! It is so good! ♥
Dec 2, 2011 8:34 AM
Jan 2011
Pitting them experts aginst the beginners.

Pushing the beginners to their breaking point.

Being too nosy to see what's inside Taichi's room.

Man, is Chihaya that sadistic already?
Nasty001Dec 2, 2011 8:52 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2012

232 by Euroqean »»
Feb 10, 2:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.