Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 6, 2013 8:20 AM
Oct 2010
DancingJack said:
ex_necross said:
You act like this wasn't all premeditated by the two governments.

Yes, but even so they could've atleast tried to state obvious points that speak against the footage shown by Dorssia, the whole thing was live streamed to everywhere, right?

Not sure how they could have done that in a believable way. Dorussia provided proof and ARUS both provided proof on the spot. No amount of talking was going to get them out of that one.
Dec 6, 2013 8:33 AM

Aug 2010
Best episode so far.

R.I.P Inuzuka.
Dec 6, 2013 8:37 AM

Jun 2013
skudoops said:
DancingJack said:
ex_necross said:
You act like this wasn't all premeditated by the two governments.

Yes, but even so they could've atleast tried to state obvious points that speak against the footage shown by Dorssia, the whole thing was live streamed to everywhere, right?

Not sure how they could have done that in a believable way. Dorussia provided proof and ARUS both provided proof on the spot. No amount of talking was going to get them out of that one.

Plus who the hell would Haruto be explaining this all to? Shouko? Like she can do anything about it? The powerless students? The president who had his mind made up before the incident even happened? Cain? Who? Who is Haruto supposed to reveal this grand revelation to? Oh, I know. The kids on the message boards. Better yet, just hook Haruto up with a news organization and let him explain everything on air. Wait, he's got guns pointed at his face. Nevermind.
Dec 6, 2013 8:46 AM
Dec 2013
great episode.

not understand, why poeple blame shoko,and haruto.
pretty logical, when shoko sell haruto, and how other student hate valvrave pilot.
almost everyone will do the same, when you are in pinch, and suddenly everything you trust, turn out to be a lie, don't know where you can depend on. at this point, most people will inlogically, do anything neccesary to save his/her own life.

as for haruto, he doesn't know it's right or wrong to tell shoko. as shoko already in shock, trying so hard becoming prime minister, when you know so little how the worlds works. they are still only naive high school student.
so haruto don't know, how people will react, and how they tell them to trust him.

even after all happened, jior condition is, country full of naive high shcool student. that know little of this world, pushed to the edge, and still in the edge. where they relying on arus, for country maintance, and l-elf for what they should do.
Dec 6, 2013 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
Well damn, I don't know what to say, so much stuff happened... But I bet Urobuchi is hugging his pilow and smiling at this.
Dec 6, 2013 9:02 AM

Jul 2010
The author basically repeated the whole Black Knights betraying Lelouch thing in R2 right here in this episode. At any rate, it's way too convenient that there's so many ARUS troops at a peace conference. It's pretty much certain right now that the President of ARUS has been hijacked by a Magius or at the very least is in league with them from the get on. The point made by someone else about ARUS never trying to help the JIORANS until the Magius decide to get rid of them also made this point valid. The fact that ARUS and the Dorssians who were supposedly sworn enemies made an 'alliance' so quickly adds to this as well.

At any rate, considering Shouko's reaction here, I wonder just how bombastic would she be if she found out what 'happened' between Saki and Haruto.

BlueBusterJeff said:
They'll never even bother to mention about Aina Sakurai, Kyuuma's girlfriend (Glasses girl) which she died last season (EP7). I mean REALLY?!

Now he's dead too. I bet Aina is waiting for him in the other side...
Funny if 'Aina' was never even a real person. It's way too coincidental that her VA(Ai Kayano) was the same person as Pino.
darthfantaDec 6, 2013 9:08 AM

Dec 6, 2013 9:09 AM
Sep 2012
Oasfsfsdgfsdada, best episode so far. So sad one of my fav character just died -_- So there are 4 pilots left. I wonder who the other 3 will be? Weren't they called the Golden Seven in the flashforward?
El Psy Congroo.
Dec 6, 2013 9:09 AM

Jul 2010
Janoski said:
Oasfsfsdgfsdada, best episode so far. So sad one of my fav character just died -_- So there are 4 pilots left. I wonder who the other 3 will be? Weren't they called the Golden Seven in the flashforward?
Did he REALLY die? He's basically immortal, and the only thing the kills him would be if he runs out of runes. Seeing this is SunRise, any thing could basically happen.

Dec 6, 2013 9:15 AM

Jun 2013
Contrary to popular belief, immortal does not mean "can't die".

Also, I'm pretty sure being literally exploded would kill the V pilots. They can't heal themselves if they are completed incinerated into nothingness.
Dec 6, 2013 9:20 AM

Oct 2011
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG!!!!!!!!!! T______________________T
Dec 6, 2013 9:20 AM
Dec 2013
Janoski said:

a drei?l-elf?and another l-elf friend?
golden seven, not necessary vvv pilot
Dec 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Dec 2011
Plot Hole #1

L-elf clearly has lost his will to live, won't even leave the storage room. But somehow he already inside the shuttle about to be launched? So during the mass confusion and students being slaughtered by ARUS soldiers, somebody forgot to save themselves and nearby others and instead saying, "Oh hey, we might be currently being killed right now, but instead of immediately evacuating why don't we get that guy that nobody likes and now sulking in dark corner of storage room and shove his ass into the shuttle because we are so free right now, yes?"
Dec 6, 2013 9:38 AM

Sep 2012
Haruto pissed me the hell off this episode. Along with almost everyone else.
The way he was talking during the broadcasting about the Phantom made it sound like he was the owner of the ship. He could have at least tried to say it was a Dorssian ship. It would've most likely failed considering how "gullible" everyone is, unless it was planned, but it would be better than making it sound like that messed up ship belonged to him. Like wtf man, where the fuck are you balls?

There is also the time when he was brought onto the shuttle. Like, fuck Shoko, she sold you out, you already knew about your memories getting used as runes, now fucking talk so goddamn sense into your fucking classmates that will believe anything an adult will say, because they will totally fucking save them after killing almost ALL their classmates.
/tableflips

RIP senpai.
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
Dec 6, 2013 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
guys. after this episode, I am officially craving for next week episodes like how I am craving for next weeks HxH episode and trust me, this isnt good for my health hehe

soundtrack was phenomenal as always. need the OST now!!!

P.S. I know they are immortal and stuff but I doubt he will be coming back from this 1 but if he does, fuck it, already gave it a 10 and its is staying on there!!

Dec 6, 2013 10:01 AM

Nov 2007
I think I been flaming trought the entire episode.
Now let's hope they shoot Shoko >_>"
Dec 6, 2013 10:02 AM

Jun 2013
wuhugm said:
Plot Hole #1

L-elf clearly has lost his will to live, won't even leave the storage room. But somehow he already inside the shuttle about to be launched? So during the mass confusion and students being slaughtered by ARUS soldiers, somebody forgot to save themselves and nearby others and instead saying, "Oh hey, we might be currently being killed right now, but instead of immediately evacuating why don't we get that guy that nobody likes and now sulking in dark corner of storage room and shove his ass into the shuttle because we are so free right now, yes?"

I'm... not sure you know what "plot hole" means. Something that is unexplained =/= plot hole. In fact, quite the opposite. There are an endless number of ways L-elf could have ended up on the ship. This is not a plot hole.

By your logic, L-elf using the bathroom in that room is a plot hole.
ex_necrossDec 6, 2013 10:06 AM
Dec 6, 2013 10:06 AM

Sep 2012
The word "plot hole" is way over used and too often USED WRONGLY. Plot Hole should only be used when something happens that contradicts the inner workings of the fictional world. Thing not explained or left unexplained is NOT a plot hole.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 6, 2013 10:11 AM

Mar 2013
ex_necross said:

Oh god... the mental images... cannot unsee ...
Dec 6, 2013 10:17 AM

Jun 2013
fst said:
ex_necross said:

Oh god... the mental images... cannot unsee ...

What a shitty situation.
Dec 6, 2013 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Wow that was really intens and shoko you little bitchhh

but shoko is coming with Ahh I was playing cold so I could save him blablabla
ChhoDec 6, 2013 10:43 AM
Dec 6, 2013 10:46 AM

Nov 2013
Arus & Dorssia have been show to be in cahoots since the start of this season. While Dorrssia's leader was taken over, ARUS' seems to be more scared of what might happen to him so he goes along with them willingly.
Despite none of the dead students coming back to life after the soldiers shot them, they're soldiers, they just follow orders, nothing else. or they thought if they put enough bullets in them that they couldn't come back to life

Isn't someone glad that Akira is such a recluse and won't leave her valvrave now...Hate to think of the mess in her cockpit there is though.

Shoko/Iori reacted typical to High School students would in regards to what they just saw. Actually, when she was trying to save the other Jiorans, that was mature of her. And the Cave that the two bring up throughout the series was shown as the basis of their trust/love, Haruto not remembering it put her in Shock.
Iiori/Lori/Iori/whatever going against Satomi and not listening to him since she likes him so much was also typical.
The moon was neutral, but that means that it had to have some sort of military in case, right? even JIOR had those fighters.

And the big freaking mirror rave engine explosion probably incinerated Inuzuka's body past any regeneration the Valvraveism things could do.

so is it L-Elf and Haruto stuck on the moon in those orange space suits in the next episode's preview?
And they did manage to make a fake Valvrave on the Module before the group left for Earth, maybe it has some sort of operational capability.
At least none of the Earth group turned on the Pilots.

Seriously, judging from next weeks' episode preview, it doesn't seem like anything big will happen, leaving 2 episodes left to finish it all up. How they would do that, introduce Valvrave 2, etc just seems too far fetched, even for any writer.
Dec 6, 2013 11:05 AM

Feb 2012
Awesome episode! Sunrise being its usual self lets just kill everyone. But for whatever reason I think Haruto somehow doesn't die just to spite all of the Haruto haters.

Don't like Shoko at all still hoping for the Haruto x Saki. Still curious to see who she ends up with but it maybe one of L-Elfs crew seeing as the one is talking to her (maybe helps her escape after learning about Cain from his dead comrad?)

I guess since there is so much left unexplained and as there are only 3 episodes left I am guessing a season 2?

Who knows just such a crazy episode
Dec 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Jun 2013
Oh my god... That episode just blew my mind. Sunrise know how to kill off their characters 0.0
Dec 6, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2010
Mass-killing of people and relevant side character....Check.
Dec 6, 2013 11:15 AM

Feb 2012
Makaizen said:
Mass-killing of people and relevant side character....Check.

Hahaha

Step 2: Kill everyone else who is relevant
Step 3: Leave many open ended questions

Oh Sunrise just sitting here waiting for you to ruin the show for me
Dec 6, 2013 11:28 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
The word "plot hole" is way over used and too often USED WRONGLY. Plot Hole should only be used when something happens that contradicts the inner workings of the fictional world. Thing not explained or left unexplained is NOT a plot hole.

I think people think "plot hole" means anything I don't particularly like about the way a script was written. Personally I felt this episode had one too many contrivances going on at the same time, but individually I think most of them were foreshadowed or function because of the kind of show Valvrave is. I think the only one I can say I was like, "Oh come on" was the memory loss thing. Yeah that's been covered with Marie, but why does Haruto have to lose the one specific memory that screws him over when he needs to reason with Shoko who is having her crisis of faith and needs the one person she feels she can always trust. I know it's for drama, but it still feels pretty selective.

Oh well none of this happens if L-Elf is functional that's for sure since he's the perfect counter to Arus stumbling bumbling soldiers just blinding following the politicians orders again and attacking the students and the whole set up and framing of the Kamitsuki. Speaking of which, that was pretty naive trusting Arus again in the first place after last time, I mean I know they don't know that the president is in the know about the Magius and they're probably twisting his arm again or already replaced him like Amadeus, but considering the Moses situation......yeah that's another area where L-Elf would have helped at least secure the module so that if they pulled anything they'd immediately regret it.
Dec 6, 2013 11:32 AM

Sep 2012
Actually come to think of it, it makes sense for Dorussia and Arus to get together because the two are under the thumb of Magius and since Magius (the 101 council) decided that Valvrave is too grave a risk to them, they clearly would try everything to uproot them. And what is the best to use intrigue (Arus is to protect you) and provoke irrational fear (those pilots are monsters!) to incite internal chaos and mistrust within this hard nut called neo-Jior ?

And yet I am sure this episode may have overdone it and make things a bit too extreme, particularly since we have already seen mass killing of the students back in the first cour (when Dorussia invaded the module) - why do it a second time? No wonder quite many fans in Japan think this episode comes more from the madness from 1st cour than the solid build-up of a tuned-down story in 2nd cour.

Besides we have many issues still unresolved, are we going to see everything settled in the next 3 episodes?

In Longer Term
- how did the empire get established which replace Dorussia, Arus and neo-Jior ?
- how came Magius ability turned from a curse to a blessing?
- where does the royal family come from? How come some of the students became senior advisers or courtiers in the royal court?
- who are the golden seven? apparently not all the valvrave pilots will be one of the seven?
- who are those people who are still fighting the empire?

In Shorter Term
- how does neo-Jior even get to survive as an entity? in how can the people in the module even survive?
- where does the relationship between Haruto and Shouko / Saki go?
- how can Magius be even countered, much less defeated?
- what will happen to those surviving members of Cain's team? Will the prince be the pivot which will turn the table against the Magius?
- what are those 2 lifeforms living inside Valvrave 1 & 2 anyway?

I really doubt how they can wrap everything in 3 episodes without rushing it or leaving too many things unexplained. Are we going to see a movie or even another series after this cour?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 6, 2013 11:55 AM

Jul 2010
"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME"
"YOU LIAR HURR DURR"
"YOU'RE NO HARUTO BUU"

I got cancer this episode.

I always wanted Shoko dead for obvious reasons but now the limit has been reached.
Dec 6, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
wuhugm said:
Plot Hole #1

L-elf clearly has lost his will to live, won't even leave the storage room. But somehow he already inside the shuttle about to be launched?

That's the storage from of the same shuttle Shouko and the others used to escape. It's shown in ep8 at 12:30.
Dec 6, 2013 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
They're killing off characters in every single episode now. O__O
Dec 6, 2013 12:05 PM
Jan 2011
OOOOOOHHHH, that massacre, looks like them Sakimori students are on their own, man they should have rescued Saki.

RIP to Kyuuma.

Also, I wonder how will Shoko react after seeing Haruto alive?
Dec 6, 2013 12:19 PM
Oct 2010
symbv said:

Are we going to see a movie or even another series after this cour?

I'm thinking a movie to wrap everything up. I really cannot see them going another 12 episodes with this and I can't see them ending it in 3 either.
Dec 6, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2009
Mormegil said:
They're killing off characters in every single episode now. O__O

It's a Sunrise, baby (c)

They kill charas in most of their original mechas
Dec 6, 2013 12:29 PM

Jul 2008
Ugh. The first half of that episode was asking for way too much suspension of disbelief. The entire reaction to Dorssia's whole little newscast was so unbelievable and just utterly ridiculous. The whole episode just came across as some half-assed attempt to shock the audience with copious amounts of senseless bloodshed and character deconstruction, but it just didn't make any logical sense for it to happen in the way and the amount of time that it did. The plot pacing for all of this was just bizarre. Marie got an entire episode of development just to be offed. Sure, it gave some explanation to the rune and memory bit, but that has been prevalent in so many other plot points that it really didn't need the development and deconstruction of an entire character just to get the point across. Now let's look at what we did IN LESS TIME... Generally destroying 20 episodes of world building, changing the entire political structure, killing off the majority of the extras AND rendering the main setting null and void is quite a lot to do in one blow. As if that isn't enough, we also get quite possibly one of the biggest character revelations of the series along with a major character betrayal; and that's all thrown in with the sacrifice of a core character and key moment of self-realization for the main protagonist. They tried to force feed so much at once that each individual event wound up getting a lot of its meaning sucked out, glossed over, or just didn't really make a whole lot of sense within the time constraints given. The decision to massacre an entire population, unite the human race with an alliance by two bitter adversaries, and subsequent declaration of war took about, what, less than a day in-story time? Seriously? And no one is even going to check the validity of accusations given OVER A TELEVISION BROADCAST by a country that was in the process of being sanctioning for war crimes? And... oh yeah, they just happened to begin said accusation with the apparent murder of a high school student. Sure, it might look like she comes back to life... but that's not a far-stretch from the entire world panicking over an eminent zombie apocalypse because a TV news crew shows an extra from The Walking Dead strolling down the street and claims it to be real. Screw fact checking. And if you're going to buy Dorssia's immortal soldier claim, totally forget asking yourself how they discovered that the high school chick they were rather illegally and unethically holding hostage just happened to resurrect after getting a sword through the heart. Doh.

Another big issue... lack of communication between characters is also just a terrible plot device to use to force conflict within any story. It just highlights the fact that there isn't enough real character development or solid world building for the plot to derive naturally from the interactions between the characters themselves and their environment. Unfortunately, it is fairly common across the board in the young adult genre and Valvrave seems to be having progressively more and more trouble breaking out of the confines of YA tropes. It's trying VERY hard to be a successor to Code Geass, but the only thing it is successfully doing is copying certain plot elements (*cough* stadium slaughter of the elevens/Japanese for this episode). Unfortunately, Valvrave's forced plot progression with characters just along for the ride causes it to lack the emotional resonance and believability that CG managed to pull off most of the time by having the characters take the plot from Point A to Point B instead.

)%(*)#$ I had so much hope for this show at one point... :'(

/end rant

Akanezora said:
"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME"
"YOU LIAR HURR DURR"
"YOU'RE NO HARUTO BUU"

I got cancer this episode.

I always wanted Shoko dead for obvious reasons but now the limit has been reached.

lol... And let's not forget that Shoko has also been lying to Haruto about the death of her father this entire time as well. And to add just a bit more irony to the situation, she also decided to *cough* withhold this truth from him out of a desire to protect him. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongDec 6, 2013 1:40 PM
Dec 6, 2013 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
HOLY SHIT... THat was just messy AF...
Soo brutal in this ep.
Sad day :(
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Dec 6, 2013 1:00 PM

Sep 2008
If somebody want blame somebody,
then should blame Saki for letting enemies caughting her.
LittleStarDec 6, 2013 1:05 PM
Dec 6, 2013 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
Understandable or not, the actions from the hysteria made me facepalm and pissed. But then again shit has to hit the fan to make the redemption that much more satisfying.
Dec 6, 2013 1:07 PM

Jun 2009
LittleStar said:
If somebody want blame somebody,
then should blame Saki for let enemies caught her.

xD now I guess we blamed nearly everyone

Saki : fault being caught
l-elf: still sulking
Haruto: Didn't told shouko his secret
Shouko: Beeing a Bitch just like a "normal acted human"
Dec 6, 2013 1:10 PM

Jun 2013
killbethy said:
Ugh. The first half of that episode was asking for way too much suspension of disbelief. The entire reaction to Dorssia's whole little newscast was so unbelievable and just utterly ridiculous. The whole episode just came across as some half-assed attempt to shock the audience with copious amounts of senseless bloodshed and character deconstruction, but it just didn't make any logical sense for it to happen in the way and the amount of time that it did. The plot pacing for all of this was just bizarre. Marie got an entire episode of development just to be offed. Sure, it gave some explanation to the rune and memory bit, but that has been prevalent in so many other plot points that it really didn't need the development and deconstruction of an entire character just to get the point across. Now let's look at what we did IN LESS TIME... Generally destroying 20 episodes of world building, changing the entire political structure, killing off the majority of the extras AND rendering the main setting null and void is quite a lot to do in one blow. As if that isn't enough, we also get quite possibly one of the biggest character revelations of the series along with a major character betrayal; and that's all thrown in with the sacrifice of a core character and key moment of self-realization for the main protagonist. They tried to force feed so much at once that each individual event wound up getting a lot of its meaning sucked out, glossed over, or just didn't really make a whole lot of sense within the time constraints given. The decision to massacre an entire population, unite the human race with an alliance by two bitter adversaries, and subsequent declaration of war took about, what, less than a day in-story time? Seriously? And no one is even going to check the validity of accusations given OVER A TELEVISION BROADCAST by a country that was in the process of being sanctioning for war crimes? And... oh yeah, they just happened to begin said accusation with the apparent murder of a high school student. Sure, it might look like she comes back to life... but that's not a far-stretch from the entire world panicking over an eminent zombie apocalypse because a TV news crew shows an extra from The Walking Dead strolling down the street and claims it to be real. Screw fact checking. And if you're going to buy Dorssia's immortal soldier claim, totally forget asking yourself how they discovered that the high school chick they were rather illegally and unethically holding hostage just happened to resurrect after getting a sword through the heart. Doh.

Another big issue... lack of communication between characters is also just a terrible plot device to use to force conflict within any story. It just highlights the fact that there isn't enough real character development or solid world building for the plot to derive naturally from the interactions between the characters themselves and their environment. Unfortunately, it is fairly common across the board in the young adult genre and Valvrave seems to be having progressively more and more trouble breaking out of the confines of YA tropes. It's trying VERY hard to be a successor to Code Geass, but the only thing it is successfully doing is copying certain plot elements (*cough* stadium slaughter of the elevens/Japanese for this episode). Unfortunately, Valvrave's forced plot progression with characters just along for the ride causes it to lack the emotional resonance and believability that CG managed to pull off most of the time by having the characters take the plot from Point A to Point B instead.

)%(*)#$ I had so much hope for this show at one point... :'(

/end rant

You're missing a lot of key points. Most importantly, the fact that the news cast WAS forced, it was all a set up. It didn't have to be convincing, it just had to be a scapegoat. The governments were working together since the meeting some episodes ago. It didn't matter what the students did, they could explain away to their heart's content or (more reasonably) be in utter shock with the guns pointed at them, the end result would be the same.

You are looking at the episode like this: news cast happens, everyone believes it, massacre occurs as a result. That is NOT how it happened.
Dec 6, 2013 1:16 PM
Nov 2013
Damn, what an episode. I don't know how on earth they are going to tie everything together with only 3 episodes left!

Off Topic: does anyone else think that X-Eins looks a hell of a lot like Uryu Ishida from Bleach?
Dec 6, 2013 1:17 PM

Dec 2011
ThangLong said:
wuhugm said:
Plot Hole #1

L-elf clearly has lost his will to live, won't even leave the storage room. But somehow he already inside the shuttle about to be launched?

That's the storage from of the same shuttle Shouko and the others used to escape. It's shown in ep8 at 12:30.

Omigod, he never left the shuttle...

and nobody remembers about him until they need to discard some weight

BOO-HOO

poor L-Elf
Dec 6, 2013 1:38 PM

Apr 2010
Thanks Sunrise, great entertainment in this episode. 5/5
Dec 6, 2013 1:56 PM

Dec 2012
killbethy said:
Ugh. The first half of that episode was asking for way too much suspension of disbelief. The entire reaction to Dorssia's whole little newscast was so unbelievable and just utterly ridiculous. The whole episode just came across as some half-assed attempt to shock the audience with copious amounts of senseless bloodshed and character deconstruction, but it just didn't make any logical sense for it to happen in the way and the amount of time that it did

The tipping point wasn't that Saki resurrected herself after getting stabbed, it was when the trusted news anchor (who has been a supporter of Neo-Jior) uncovered the Phantom sub and people were publicly sucked brain matters out to death. It was a perfect PR move that led to even the students doubting their leaders.

The action of ARUS president clearly shows that he was in cahoot with Dorssia and the Magius Council from the start. He ordered his troops to secure the hangar to block the Valvrave, massacred the entire students, and then lied to Shoko about giving them safety after surrendering. Thus although many people on Earth and elsewhere doubt the truthfulness of Dorssia's story, there's little resistance to stop the two counties alliance against these Neo-Jior since ARUS controls the media and Dorssia controls the army.

The event leading up and during the massacre is a logical progression that fits the standard of "anime logic."

Another big issue... lack of communication between characters is also just a terrible plot device to use to force conflict within any story. It just highlights the fact that there isn't enough real character development or solid world building for the plot to derive naturally from the interactions between the characters themselves and their environment.

True, this is a problem for this show since it glossed over too much character interaction in favor of fast pace story and plot-twists. It is a deep trade-off. Valvrave is very entertaining week after week because of this fast pacing.

But as the result, glossing over character development and actions caused unnecessary hate toward the casts, especially Shouko. What S2 has done to Shouko up to now is truly a character destruction. Shouko was missing for half the time this season and when they finally got her back, she immediately did something "inexplicable" and now everyone is going after her head.

I said "inexplicable" in the sense that little screen time was allocated to her for people to sympathize with her character. Here are some major points:

_ Shoko's dad's death has not shown to have any effect on how Shouko's feeling toward Haruto. Love and accidentally killing aside, Shouko can't logically feel the same way about Haruto after what had happened to her dad. Her lovey-dovey scenes with him have failed to show her reservations about his character.

_ Shouko's main strength is her ability to connect and care for people around her. Unfortunately, they have failed to show that "friendship power" on both instances at the death of her best friend, Marie, and her non-existent interaction with Akira.

_ Shouko's achievement as Prime Minister, who got all the countries together to condemn Dorssia in a short period of time, was glossed over as well. When the team was fighting on Earth, some cuts over to Shouko's fight in the political arena would have suffice, but they did not do that. That was a tremendous achievement using a lot of charisma that only Shouko has.

Because they failed to show these points, many people couldn't feel a connection to Shouko's mindset when she made the decision of "betrayal." Many people don't have enough time to care or put themselves into Shouko's position where her entire nation was being massacred because Haruto & co. have been lying to her. It's not helping that Haruto couldn't explain anything worth a dime while self-incriminated himself every time he opened his mouth.

Unfortunately, Valvrave's forced plot progression with characters just along for the ride causes it to lack the emotional resonance and believability that CG managed to pull off most of the time by having the characters take the plot from Point A to Point B instead.

One thing Valvrave doesn't have is enough episode to cover a large cast with such intense and dynamic setting. This show is worth 50 episodes, a roughly similar number as Code Geass. It certainly doesn't help that they lost most of the time in S1 showing silly antics that have no relevance to the story.

One thing I can't praise Valvrave enough is that they made use of little time attributing to each named character's death to the fullest: Marie, Lise, and Kyuuma all passed away with blazing and care. They acted what they have to, and said what needed to be said in a perfect and emotionally wrecking manner.

lol... And let's not forget that Shoko has also been lying to Haruto about the death of her father this entire time as well. And to add just a bit more irony to the situation, she also decided to *cough* withhold this truth from him out of a desire to protect him. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

One major difference is: the secret Shouko withheld from Haruto was not the sole reason why the entire nation was massacred. There are big lies and there are small lies. Shouko in her position as Prime Minister should have known about how her army is fighting so that she can plan for any contingencies that might happen. L-elf, whose sole focus is to use Valvrave's power to rescue his girlfriend and Haruto, who is afraid of showing himself as a "monster," both made an error in judgment of not telling Shouko, their Prime Minister, about it. They think they can just shoot away in their toys while forget one main reason Neo-Jior exists as a country is international sympathy and supports; and supports will be lost quickly when their secrets are out in the worst possible way with their PM acting like a deer in the headlights.
ThangLongDec 6, 2013 2:14 PM
Dec 6, 2013 2:10 PM

May 2012
#LIBERATED

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Dec 6, 2013 2:55 PM

Nov 2011
Wow. That certainly took things to 11.

I just feel bad for Shouko and have since pretty early on. She's such a tragic character and she'd done nothing to deserve any of this. Poor best girl. :(
Dec 6, 2013 2:55 PM
Jul 2012
NOOOO! Your supposed to say you love Saki!!!!!
Dec 6, 2013 3:09 PM

May 2011
this episode really reminds me of the drama in gundam seed.

well this is what to be expected from all of the suffering the main chara (L-elf) had. so for the background char, why not?.

i just wonder how L-elf would regain his spirit.
and also the students isn't guilty either, they're not L-elf who could think reasonably well and L-elf isn't in condition as he should be for the students to pass thought all of this.

well done sunrise.
GNXTDec 6, 2013 3:13 PM
Dec 6, 2013 3:14 PM

Jul 2008
ex_necross said:

You're missing a lot of key points. Most importantly, the fact that the news cast WAS forced, it was all a set up. It didn't have to be convincing, it just had to be a scapegoat. The governments were working together since the meeting some episodes ago. It didn't matter what the students did, they could explain away to their heart's content or (more reasonably) be in utter shock with the guns pointed at them, the end result would be the same.

You are looking at the episode like this: news cast happens, everyone believes it, massacre occurs as a result. That is NOT how it happened.

Lol yes, it was a setup. But the collaboration of Dorssia and ARUS's governments were definitely not headed in quite this direction before regardless of prior meetings... Even if it turns out to be some grand conspiracy, it is the opinions and resulting changes in both politics and public opinion that is bizarre. The video also functions as a scapegoat in two ways: it can be used in attempt to justify the actions taken as a result from the video (ARUS, in which JIOR is the scapegoat), or it justifies the actions taken PRIOR to the video (which is the way Dorssia intended for it to be used, painting themselves as the scapegoat). Also, a scapegoat generally DOES need to be convincing for people to take it seriously and to affect any real change... and that's the problem. The video, as a scapegoat, just isn't enough to really be believable. It isn't proof, it's pointing a finger. That doesn't dig you out of a grave, it buries you in it.

This is like Hitler throwing out a Hail Mary with some shoddy "evidence" that Jews really are the detestable inferior race he believed them to be by publicizing ONE EXAMPLE to substantiate accusations that can't even be validated by the people it is attempting to convince. Instead of scratching their collective noggins or just completely laughing it off as the silly attempt of a last resort that it appears to be, the entire global population not only believes this "evidence" to be factual but are also swayed into adopting Hitler's viewpoint because of it. The public is primed and readied to be rallied into action to fight for the cause (even the Jewish population turns on one another in spite of being oppressed and killed by the Nazi regime for no other reason than the identity they share). But heck, who cares what the world thinks. Winston Churchill totally bought it, so now the Ally Powers call off their attack on Nazi Germany and instead form an alliance with them to eradicate the Jews. Now, we don't have Twitter in the 1940's lol, so let's say instead of the whole whopping 1/2 a day or so it took within the universe of Valvrave, this whole radical change in the global political atmosphere and consensus of the general population takes place in about 1/2 a week.

Right.

Oh, and don't forget that isn't even taking into account the fact that if you believe the Dorssian video is TRUE, the only thing that you have proven is that the student shown (Rukino Saki) has self-regenerative abilities that extend to fatal wounds. It doesn't prove that Saki is immortal, let alone that anyone else. Nor does the notion of immortality imply the whole monster idea. You have two SEPARATE clips: one that apparently shows Saki reviving from what should be a fatal room, the second of a ship that is full of people that APPEAR to be suffering or potentially dying from some unexplained phenomenon. Nothing even "proves" them to be related other than a TV anchor claiming that he found the ship on property that belongs to JIOR (which doesn't even mean it is theirs lol). There is so much leaping about to form the conclusion of the whole immortal man-eating monster idea that it would exhaust a frog.

Regardless.

It doesn't matter at what point in the equation the actual massacre takes place. The point is that it takes about 2.4 seconds for the entire world to do a complete 180 and believe that such an action would be justified, and that is without any solid evidence forming the basis of this complete turnabout in the political atmosphere (and also just general popularity... everyone is ready to abandon their darling little underdog of JIOR that they have been rooting for since we were introduced to the world of Vavrave).

Also, the lack of communication I'm referring to is, for the most part, between the main cast of characters, not really the "students" and government heads. Although, it is pretty funny that as viewers we are asked to believe and accept that these world leaders LEGITIMATELY RECOGNIZE JIOR as a foreign nation with equal political rights to that of their own (in spite of being almost entirely composed of high school students and led by a, what, 17-ish year old girl, as its Prime Minister with the power and authority such a position entails), but can still so easily strip it of the rights that they themselves have recognized JIOR of deserving? Either these people are citizens of a recognized foreign power whose rights are inviolable as your own, or they are just a bunch of visiting students subject to your own power and the laws of the land on which you are allowing them to stay. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. Nothing undermines your own authority quite like admitting the basis on which it is founded is wrong.
Dec 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Jun 2013
wow that was pretty brutal, killing all the students. They didn't even stop to think...wait they aren't immortal. Anyway i feel like there should be a time skip or something because everyone is against them now and they need to see whats truly going on. Shouldn't the blue pilot still be alive since hes immortal btw and i was laughing my ass off when they couldn't believe the president broke their promise i mean like its only human nature that they would lie and such(just like jior did to the valvraves). Also i felt this episode was really good at showing that being a monster isn't really about being immortal, its when you begin to lose those memories you aren't really the same anymore.

when will L-elf stop being a bitch? just wondering lol
Dec 6, 2013 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
killbethy said:

Lol yes, it was a setup. But the collaboration of Dorssia and ARUS's governments were definitely not headed in quite this direction before regardless of prior meetings... Even if it turns out to be some grand conspiracy, it is the opinions and resulting changes in both politics and public opinion that is bizarre. The video also functions as a scapegoat in two ways: it can be used in attempt to justify the actions taken as a result from the video (ARUS, in which JIOR is the scapegoat), or it justifies the actions taken PRIOR to the video (which is the way Dorssia intended for it to be used, painting themselves as the scapegoat). Also, a scapegoat generally DOES need to be convincing for people to take it seriously and to affect any real change... and that's the problem. The video, as a scapegoat, just isn't enough to really be believable. It isn't proof, it's pointing a finger. That doesn't dig you out of a grave, it buries you in it.

This is like Hitler throwing out a Hail Mary with some shoddy "evidence" that Jews really are the detestable inferior race he believed them to be by publicizing ONE EXAMPLE to substantiate accusations that can't even be validated by the people it is attempting to convince. Instead of scratching their collective noggins or just completely laughing it off as the silly attempt of a last resort that it appears to be, the entire global population not only believes this "evidence" to be factual but are also swayed into adopting Hitler's viewpoint because of it. The public is primed and readied to be rallied into action to fight for the cause (even the Jewish population turns on one another in spite of being oppressed and killed by the Nazi regime for no other reason than the identity they share). But heck, who cares what the world thinks. Winston Churchill totally bought it, so now the Ally Powers call off their attack on Nazi Germany and instead form an alliance with them to eradicate the Jews. Now, we don't have Twitter in the 1940's lol, so let's say instead of the whole whopping 1/2 a day or so it took within the universe of Valvrave, this whole radical change in the global political atmosphere and consensus of the general population takes place in about 1/2 a week.

Right.

Oh, and don't forget that isn't even taking into account the fact that if you believe the Dorssian video is TRUE, the only thing that you have proven is that the student shown (Rukino Saki) has self-regenerative abilities that extend to fatal wounds. It doesn't prove that Saki is immortal, let alone that anyone else. Nor does the notion of immortality imply the whole monster idea. You have two SEPARATE clips: one that apparently shows Saki reviving from what should be a fatal room, the second of a ship that is full of people that APPEAR to be suffering or potentially dying from some unexplained phenomenon. Nothing even "proves" them to be related other than a TV anchor claiming that he found the ship on property that belongs to JIOR (which doesn't even mean it is theirs lol). There is so much leaping about to form the conclusion of the whole immortal man-eating monster idea that it would exhaust a frog.

Regardless.

It doesn't matter at what point in the equation the actual massacre takes place. The point is that it takes about 2.4 seconds for the entire world to do a complete 180 and believe that such an action would be justified, and that is without any solid evidence forming the basis of this complete turnabout in the political atmosphere (and also just general popularity... everyone is ready to abandon their darling little underdog of JIOR that they have been rooting for since we were introduced to the world of Vavrave).

Also, the lack of communication I'm referring to is, for the most part, between the main cast of characters, not really the "students" and government heads. Although, it is pretty funny that as viewers we are asked to believe and accept that these world leaders LEGITIMATELY RECOGNIZE JIOR as a foreign nation with equal political rights to that of their own (in spite of being almost entirely composed of high school students and led by a, what, 17-ish year old girl, as its Prime Minister with the power and authority such a position entails), but can still so easily strip it of the rights that they themselves have recognized JIOR of deserving? Either these people are citizens of a recognized foreign power whose rights are inviolable as your own, or they are just a bunch of visiting students subject to your own power and the laws of the land on which you are allowing them to stay. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. Nothing undermines your own authority quite like admitting the basis on which it is founded is wrong.

Funnily enough, or scarily enough depending on who you ask, a lot of this can be applied to the real world. Apparently ARUS is some sort of phony democracy, kinda like the USA. Much like in the USA, the public's opinion doesn't really matter in ARUS, it would have played out the same way even if the citizens didn't turn against the students.

Besides, from what I can tell, neither ARUS nor Dorssia are the root of it all, that would be the Magi. If the Illuminati did exist, the Magi would be pretty much that.

Also the "world" didn't do a 180 in seconds, like I was saying. The only people who were duped were some of the citizens.

Also how can you say the governments weren't heading in this direction? We don't know what was going on between them in those secret meetings. In fact, common sense dictates that they WERE heading in this direction for quite some time.
ex_necrossDec 6, 2013 3:43 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

474 by valoon »»
Nov 27, 2023 7:19 PM

» The Child's parent is (spoilers)

Renaultclio101 - Jan 9, 2014

40 by silenceblade »»
Sep 15, 2022 7:47 AM

» Is Kakumeiki Valvrave gonna have a 3rd season?

stanklem28 - Dec 21, 2013

14 by AnOnYmOuS__101 »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:52 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

128 by VirginAmirul »»
Mar 29, 2021 8:48 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

142 by VirginAmirul »»
Mar 28, 2021 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.