Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2013 8:12 PM

Oct 2012
Memories is now up for vote. Decide if it will blast a cannon at the gates of Enlightenment or if it will Stink Bomb the Relations.

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must’ve read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles – they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This poll with end in 7 days! BEGIN!!!!!!!!
Ducat_RevelJul 21, 2013 9:11 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 14, 2013 8:24 PM

Jun 2011
I'm sure I'll have something to say about this. I just don't know if I'm going with Option 1 or 2 yet...
Jul 14, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2009
If only this were just a Magnetic Rose poll, I'd vote option 1 without a second thought, but when it comes to deciding about all three parts, I am really vacillating. So, I'll vote in a couple of days, when I finally decide between option 1 and 2.
Jul 14, 2013 10:19 PM
Oct 2012
option 1

This film is unique in that it is really three smaller movies blended together to create one full length film The common denominator across these stories is that they make you think This is not the typical anime with a hero fighting against the evil guys Instead we find stories that have many layers and messages for the viewer to discover and ponder Not to ruin the specifics of some of the shorts details, but the piece really hits home though when the boy does asks his father who it is they are fighting. This exemplifies the wonderful ability of Otomo to not only be a great master in animation but a relevant storyteller as well If you are a newcomer to anime this is the perfect introduction to what anime can do The films are based around a narrative structure that will help anchor down western-raised audiences who might be skeptical concerning the validity of an animated feature.

Magnetic Rose is the serious short It's beautifully animated and aptly dark and mysterious it's almost a shame that it wasn't made into a feature length film. Cannon Fodder has a much more serious tone but a more childlike style of animation It's probably the most thought-provoking and original of the three films.
i think the problem that every one has with stink bomb is that it seemed so out of place next to magnetic rose and cannon fodder if you look at it as an individual piece you'll see that the very human element involved in the film. even the thought of testing nuclear warfare takes on a very real call back to the tragic loss of people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki which i though was depicted very well

but I would say they are all equally good in their own different ways.
13579wpJul 14, 2013 10:22 PM
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
Jul 15, 2013 1:23 AM

Oct 2011
Hard to choose, I'll have to consider it for a while.
Jul 15, 2013 10:47 AM
Jul 2012
Option 2

Okay, after I've just watched two movie episode of this, it gets pretty ridiculous to watch that I wish I haven't keep on watching it. It just got started to get dull in the first episode when it doesn't entertain me, and the art while the background are nice,but the characters looks plain ugly especially the girl. Though, the second episode got a little better,but it is quite the same with stupid and a laughable main character that is just plain bad.Episode 3 I just don't know what to say about this one. Just speechless I glad that episode is short. Overall I don't like this movie at all.
LegendGoldDarkJul 21, 2013 6:52 PM
Jul 15, 2013 10:54 AM

Dec 2007
Option 2

Out of the 3 stories I find Magnetic Rose to be the most interesting of the 3. Beautiful art and scenery and wonderful use of music but still not enough to reach enlightenment

Sadly the other 2 stoires are not so appealling at all. While both are interesting to watch I don't find anything worth of mention to choose enlightenment at all for them.
Jul 15, 2013 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
I have not watched this movie because it has a part in it called Stink Bomb? What is that even??
Jul 15, 2013 1:57 PM

Jul 2009
The first part is indeed the best one... The Stink Bomb was interesting and fun, but nothing special and the last one had interesting visuals but I didn't find it as appealing... it's an hard choise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2013 7:18 AM

Apr 2012
Option 3

Now one of the biggest problems with these three short to mid length movies is just that, they're short to mid length movies. Let me explain in some more detail, specifically talking about each segment as it's own thing:

Magnetic Rose is the one with the most potential of the three, it's the only one with actual characters with distinct personalities, the only one that aims for drama and the only one that tries to achieve a meaningful ending for those characters, rather than Stink Bomb who aims for a comedic ending and Cannon Fodder who aims for an ending to that world.

The reason that this movie doesn't work is that it doesn't have enough space for it in this movie, for it having to share space with the other two segments. It can't explore it's characters nor it's back stories to their deepest degrees, and so they become sorta flat, their personalities defined through blink and you miss it lines or scenes.

The story becomes rushed and confusing, and the ending ends up not hiting you personally because you're not invested in the plot enough. Which is quite a shame, for the art is extremely refreshing and original and the music is just amazing, really wish this was a full feature film.

Or maybe I'm wrong, people seen to love it anyway, maybe I'm not posh enough for it.

Stink Bomb is by far the worst offender. In a movie made of three segments, two of each are artistic, original and at times thought provoking, the third one is an absurd, ridiculous and action packed comedic movie, that tries to make you laugh through it's extremely dumb protagonist, so much that he becomes annoying, and through it's insane situations...it succeeds at neither, and it is the sole reason I am giving this movie an Overhyped Rating.

What's even more jarring is that is placed between the two other segments, creating one of the biggest effects of dissonance I have ever seen, and I am not meaning that in a good way. It's also way longer than it needed to be, as the joke runs flat in less than a third of it's actual run.

Cannon Fodder is the shortest segment of them all, and the one that works the most. It was the one that was directed by Katsuhiro Otomo himself, after all. Animated entirely without scene cuts, this short uses it's unique, almost cartoonish art style to show us a world of decay and war, where everything is built around war.

Since it's focus is on the world rather than plot or characters, it can use it's short length to it's fullest advantages, as what it is actually showing is an simple and irrelevant day in the characters, if we can call them that, lifes. But every minute of this does not waste time, and expands this world wherever it cans. It achieves a specifically meaningful and even at times thought provoking experience.

Thought, granted, it's nothing amazing. It isn't a revolutionary piece of cinema like Otomo's own Akira, for example, the themes shown here aren't anything new, just done in an peculiar way, and even being the best directed of all the segments, it's still not all that engaging.

Or maybe it is, and the real problem is that it's the last segment, being show specifically after the execrable Stink Bomb.
Matthew-sanJul 22, 2013 7:51 AM
Jul 19, 2013 8:22 AM

Aug 2009
I'd like to know how this can considered "vastly overrated". No, I do not refer to the score alone, but the anime's popularity and the general fame it has in the anime fandom. I've been on this site for four years and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times someone has even mentioned this anime, let alone gone on raving about it.
Jul 19, 2013 4:23 PM

Apr 2012
metamorphius said:
I'd like to know how this can considered "vastly overrated". No, I do not refer to the score alone, but the anime's popularity and the general fame it has in the anime fandom. I've been on this site for four years and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times someone has even mentioned this anime, let alone gone on raving about it.

I know this movie isn't popular by any means of that word, but something doesn't need to be popular among millions to be called overrated. It can be considered to be vastly overrated among the few people who saw it, nothing more, nothing less.

Plus, Overyhyped is just how they define anime that get more votes on Option 3. As far as I'm concerned Option 1 means "great anime", Option 2 means "decent anime" and Option 3 means "shitty anime".
Jul 19, 2013 4:50 PM

Aug 2009
I see. Then, that means you have a different definition of what option 3 means than the club.
Jul 19, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2009
Is there anyone who even reads the rules? We spent a few hours on them and it seems like a waste by now...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 20, 2013 5:44 PM

Apr 2012
lordzeru said:
Hard to choose, I'll have to consider it for a while.

This, but leaning toward option 1.
Jul 21, 2013 12:49 PM

Mar 2009
Unremarkable

If this were just Magnetic Rose, I would vote for enlightenment, though. The production values are obviously high in the other two films, but there isn't enough substance. Otomo's film lacks the interesting characters and story to make it in, I think. It is well written, but it is just fun; it's nothing substantial that needs to be seen by everyone. Stink Bomb, too, it just a bit of fun without the proper quality in terms of plot for me to define it as enlightening. Overall, the films are entertaining, but they're not at the level of quality that would inspire me to promote them wholeheartedly.
Jul 21, 2013 1:13 PM

Jul 2011
Just curious - what's the story with these three films being lumped as one production? Just because they were released together on a DVD? It's my understanding that they are all done by different directors and such, but are all originally short stories by Otomo... I dunno, to me, it seems like they should have their own MAL pages and be judged separately.
Jul 21, 2013 1:28 PM

Mar 2009
Otomo did this a bunch. In fact, he's doing it again in the piece called Short Peace. The films all play together since they're short films. I guess it's one page on MAL, though, because of the DVD release.
Jul 21, 2013 2:16 PM

Aug 2009
After thinking it out, I decided I would vote for option 2. If I were to vote, that is. But seeing the state of the polling, there's no need for me to vote at all as this won't get enough votes anyway (so I have an excuse to be a lazy ass).

I really love Magnetic Rose, but the other two are nowhere near as strong, so I agree with everything Alabastre said.
Jul 21, 2013 9:10 PM

Oct 2012
With 1 vote for Enlightenment, 1 vote for Unremarkable, and 1 vote for Relations, this poll is deemed Invalid. The anime can be renominated in the Anime Enlightenment Camp at a later time. Thank you for voting.

(I couldn't count your vote moichispa [because it's still vague and I've asked you twice to revise it] and GoldenBRS [because it's too subjective.])
Jul 22, 2013 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
Twince? where? I don't mind anymore. I knew it may not be enought already.

This is the reason I rarely vote for option 2. Why should I be able to write a proper opinion of some ova I watched like 10 years ago .
Jul 22, 2013 4:17 AM

Apr 2013
moichispa said:
Twince? where? I don't mind anymore. I knew it may not be enought already.

This is the reason I rarely vote for option 2. Why should I be able to write a proper opinion of some ova I watched like 10 years ago .
maybe you can consider to rewatch it if, and only if, you really want to put a vote in the poll?
Jul 22, 2013 9:33 AM
Jul 2012
Hmm subjective shoot. /:
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.