Forum Settings
Forums

Do fillers influence what you rate an anime?

New
Sep 8, 2012 8:42 PM

Feb 2012
I've been watching Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and eventually One Piece (And finished KHR). I was wondering if you guys felt that they should affect the overall rating of a show?

I plan on skipping the fillers in bleach so they won't affect how i rate the show, but i was wondering how you guys felt about it.

(I couldn't find any threads like this).
LooterzSep 8, 2012 11:24 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2012 8:43 PM
Mar 2011
yes 100 %
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 8, 2012 8:43 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah and since I dislike most fillers, I'm bound to lower the score of the anime.
Sep 8, 2012 8:45 PM

Dec 2011
Yes,especially if the fillers contribute little to nothing to the show's plot. But then again,that's what most fillers are.

Sep 8, 2012 8:45 PM

Feb 2012
AlexSadist-sama said:
Yeah and since I dislike most fillers, I'm bound to lower the score of the anime.

Fairy Tail was the first show that i felt had bearable fillers, but i tend to just try to focus on the story, or skip them if possible.

Sep 8, 2012 8:46 PM

Mar 2012
Do things that are bad effect your rating? I hope so.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 8, 2012 8:48 PM
Nov 2010
If I watch them, then yes.
Sep 8, 2012 8:49 PM

Feb 2012
Post-Josh said:
Do things that are bad effect your rating? I hope so.

Well yeah, most fillers suck, but then we get into the argument about how they are there because they are too close to the manga and you could deal with those or go on hiatus (I think they are a necessary evil) but then again you can skip them and just go with what the manga does. I personally don't like them but i try objectively to let them not ruin a show for me.

Sep 8, 2012 8:49 PM

Sep 2011
Well, I'm not a big fan of those types of shows, and I usually end up liking the fillers more than the actual series, so they help my rating rather than hurt it.
Sep 8, 2012 8:50 PM

Oct 2011
Yes. Crappy content is still crappy content, whether it was part of source material or not. Though not all fillers are bad, like GinTama fillers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2012 8:53 PM

Nov 2010
It doesn't affect me a lot because I know that they are natural in really long anime, but with bleach a little over 157 out of 366 episodes are filler, that is almost half I had to rate it down a number. Bleach also had filler arcs that had the same action as a regular fighting arc that's not good, because you don't want to mix up filler and regular arcs, and interrupting an arc to go to a filler arc for 6 months is not cool at all. I personally love One piece fillers with the G-8 arc being one of my favorite arcs, and One Piece only has like 80 fillers throughout 560 episodes.
Naruto also has too many flashback fillers that have stuff that makes it feel like they change the past, they show naruto and sasuke fighting as kids like 30 different times.

Therefore it only affects me when they put too much or put them in the wrong place.
Sep 8, 2012 8:59 PM

Feb 2012
Well, not really. Unless it is indeed a major portion of the show. If there is one or two here and here, it's not necessarily bad and can be used for good things too. Then there are god awful choices like the fillers in Nadia - Secret of Blue Water, which completely crippled the shows pace and added all sorts of stupid in a place where it did not belong.
Sep 8, 2012 9:12 PM
Jun 2012
not really. but for fairy tail the fillers are quite entertaining as well although i am starting to get bored of it. i guess there is a limit to it.
Sep 8, 2012 9:14 PM

Jan 2008
I don't really see why I wouldn't, they are still part of the anime. Though, I can't say I watch much series heavy in fillers to begin with. /dropped most of the long going series.
Sep 8, 2012 9:27 PM
Jun 2012
Depends.
I started Naruto, Bleach, and pretty much every 100+ episode anime from the get-go. The only way I could have "skipped" the fillers was to put the shows on hold until the fillers were over.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn is the only 100+ episode anime I've completed after it was finished airing. I skipped all the filler arcs. And when I was catching up, the anime had already ended. I gave it a 9/10. If I had to sit through (crappy) fillers, I might have given it a lower score. Idk..
Sep 8, 2012 9:28 PM
Sep 2012
Depends if the fillers go on too long. I enjoy the fillers in fairy tail, but some just drag it out way too long.
Sep 8, 2012 9:30 PM

Jan 2010
No. It would be reasonable to lower the score of the anime based on the poor quality of the fillers, but I don't do this.

I've decided to grade the anime only by their main storyline, since I hardly ever watch fillers.

Nevertheless, I can change my mind based on the majority of the opinions on this thread lol
Sep 8, 2012 10:03 PM

Feb 2012
Deziah said:
Depends.
I started Naruto, Bleach, and pretty much every 100+ episode anime from the get-go. The only way I could have "skipped" the fillers was to put the shows on hold until the fillers were over.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn is the only 100+ episode anime I've completed after it was finished airing. I skipped all the filler arcs. And when I was catching up, the anime had already ended. I gave it a 9/10. If I had to sit through (crappy) fillers, I might have given it a lower score. Idk..

That's kind of how I'm feeling about Bleach and Naruto every complains about the fillers but bleach is done and Naruto is getting to the good part and I'd rather just skip the fillers and focus on the story and rate it based on that.

Edit: Although i really lol'd hard at the ninja ostrich.
LooterzSep 8, 2012 10:12 PM

Sep 8, 2012 10:26 PM

Feb 2009
Down with fillers!
Sep 8, 2012 10:28 PM
Aug 2012
Hmm I guess I kind of rate on overall enjoyment primarily...so if the fillers are bearable, don't go on for too long, or it doesn't significantly detract from the overall (and depending on how much I expect them - for long running shounen IMO they're almost par for the course)....then probably not!

Which is kinda bad, but whatever. Similar to what I do for some shows which I like where I've just ignored the bad episodes in my rating (episodes? Sometimes this ranges to entire seasons).

Take Kare Kano. There's what 1.5 (2.5?) recap eps (ludicrous number), some eps that absolutely and completely forgettable (can't remember if they appeared in the manga, but they're practically filler), the ever so slightly moving manga panel ep (eps?), and the popsicle stick ep. All up that's ~25% of the show! It's just that I liked the 75% (and some within those 75% I love alot): hence (relatively for me) high rating.

(No one should take any notice of my ratings anyway - they're biased, probably illogical and not very rigorous :) )
Sep 8, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2012
not at all.....since I skip right through them.
Sep 8, 2012 10:31 PM

Dec 2011
Depends on how the filler is like.
Sep 8, 2012 10:47 PM

Mar 2012
Of course they influence. They're still part of the anime. There are fillers that are enjoyable, but then there a others that are just plain bad. If you skip the fillers you're skipping a part of the anime, I hate to do that so I watch the whole thing and if the fillers are bad then it influences negatively in my rating. That's why I don't watch anime with lots of fillers, Reborn is probably the only one I finished.
Sep 9, 2012 1:25 AM

Aug 2012
Yes, they definitely affect the rating (not saying if in a positive or a negative way)

For example recently, I was watching Mayoi Neko Overrun which only has 12 episode The 7th one was some kind of mecha story, which stood in no context to the storyline (or at least to that what could be considered as something like a storyline) (in an anime which has absolutely nothing to do with that genre) which put me off the anime completely because it was so incredibly boring .
.................................................................................
Sep 9, 2012 1:48 AM

Nov 2011
I would've given Naruto a higher score if it they didnt do that 1 yr filler, Bleach fillers were good apart from the bount arc, FT...ughh!!

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 9, 2012 2:03 AM

Aug 2012
yes it does. no matter how amazing the show is its going to be dragged by fillers.
Sep 9, 2012 2:41 AM

Dec 2007
Yes, they do in as much as I consider fillers to still be part of the show, and however good or bad they are will certainly impact the series overall, and thus my view of it. This includes both the non-canon material frequently despised, and any canon material that's just plain unnecessary to the story and there solely for padding/pandering.
Sep 9, 2012 3:11 AM

Sep 2010
depends, its the reason i dropped naruto.
but for 12-26 shows id prolly say not too much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2012 4:42 AM

Mar 2011
Depends on how long they are.
Sep 9, 2012 4:51 AM

Aug 2009
Definitely not. I'm almost immune to fillers. As long it doesn't drag on TOOooooo far.
Sep 9, 2012 4:55 AM

Feb 2012
In regards of rating, I rate the overall enjoyment of the show, and fillers do influence the enjoyment for me, so yes. Most of the time it influences the rating in a bad way, fillers are still better than recaps though.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Sep 9, 2012 8:13 AM
Apr 2012
Depends, there are fillers in some shows that I actually enjoyed.
Sep 9, 2012 8:18 AM
May 2010
Otaking87 said:
yes 100 %
Worships Asparagus.
Sep 9, 2012 8:32 AM

Nov 2010
dropped both naruto and bleach to just read the manga...

don't think i have them rated xD and if i did it would just be the same score i give for those shows (probably a 6 or a 7)
Sep 9, 2012 8:33 AM

Aug 2012
I thought fillers didn't have an effect on my rating, until I saw the last filler arc in Fairy Tail that is. Without that arc and a few idiotic mechanical problems in the first few episodes the show would've gotten a pure 10. I gave the manga a 10 though, it's perfect. (to me atleast)

The other shows with fillers I watched aren't affected in rating by fillers so I guess I generally don't mind them, but I would be grateful if there weren't any in some shows.
This world is mine. I think this world may even just be a long, long dream I'm watching. You guys may just be illusions, and it can't be proven whether or not you really exist either. In other words, this world was created with me at the center. So what will happen if I die? I don't know. My imagination isn't very creative; I just can't imagine myself dying. In other words, there is no way this world can completely disappear. But if I die, then everyone will disappear. I am the only one in this world who won't disappear. The rest are just people I see as if in a dream.

-Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
Sep 9, 2012 8:37 AM

Jul 2012
if i am super passionate about a show, not really. i simply choose to gripe about them periodically, and remember the good times. heh.
Sep 9, 2012 8:38 AM

Mar 2010

This is probably my favorite episode of DBZ
Sep 9, 2012 8:38 AM
Jul 2012
Yes
Sep 9, 2012 8:40 AM
May 2010
Can I ask why fillers WOULD NOT impact anyone's ratings? Even if you skip them, they are still a part of the show and they are frequently inferior to the rest of whatever show they are in(Not always, I know, dont bother saying it)

I mean, it seems to me that not letting fillers influence the rating is like ignoring the ending of a show when rating it because you didnt enjoy it..
Worships Asparagus.
Sep 9, 2012 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
i skip fillers.. and for me the show's rate is not affected at all..
Sep 9, 2012 9:50 AM

Feb 2008
Yes. And if the bad fillers take a big portion of the show, then the show is obviously bad. Example: Naruto, Bleach and Hitman. Naruto has 220 episodes, and 100+ are fillers. Completely random episodes with no story. One Piece also has problems with this, but it's difficult to judge it since it's an adventure, and the story is...exploring. Even though nothing happened between Arabasta and Water 7, it's weird calling Skypia a filler, even though it sucked ass and didn't do anything for the story nor character development. You could skip all those 100 episodes and watch Water 7 right away and wouldn't miss out anything.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 9, 2012 10:04 AM
Nov 2011
i really dont like filler. most of it suck and unrelated to the main plot. so i tend not to watch it.
Sep 9, 2012 10:08 AM

Sep 2011
Depends.

Some anime have such good fillers, that you don't even realize they're fillers.
Sep 9, 2012 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
Of course they do. They're a part of the show.
Sep 9, 2012 10:24 AM

Aug 2011
Yeah. The recent Fairy Tail filler arc made me drop its score from a 7 to a 6.
Sep 9, 2012 10:54 AM

Sep 2010
It depends on whether or not I watch the fillers.
All the episodes I've seen influence what I rate a show while episodes I have not seen don't influence anything.

Sep 9, 2012 10:56 AM

Nov 2010
ZetaZaku said:
One Piece also has problems with this, but it's difficult to judge it since it's an adventure, and the story is...exploring. Even though nothing happened between Arabasta and Water 7, it's weird calling Skypia a filler, even though it sucked ass and didn't do anything for the story nor character development. You could skip all those 100 episodes and watch Water 7 right away and wouldn't miss out anything.

With Bleach over 155 of the 366 episodes are filler with most of them happening during a major arc, Naruto is about 1/3 taking place usually in between arcs but there are some during.One piece only has a little over 80 out of 563 that's in between arcs, that's as little in a long running shounen anime that you will ever get. Why would you call Skypia a filler? Even if there was no character development or story developement it's still canon(which there was story developement). I don't know how much episodes you got to because your list only says 60, but something in the Skypia arc becomes pretty relevant later and that's also where Nico Robin found out that Roger could understand the Poneglyphs and that the rio poneglyph could be on raftel. The manga even showed Enel after he escaped, and what they showed could become important later on, basically you would lose out if you skipped Skypia.
Sep 9, 2012 12:10 PM
Apr 2009
I skip them + training arcs.

I wouldn't enjoy Bleach or Naruto at all if I went off the fillers(They're barely decent as is). Same with their training arcs.

I'm right now skipping some of Hunter x Hunter due to training some parts being training a little for each episode. I only care about characters & story.
Sep 9, 2012 12:27 PM

Sep 2010
The_Butcher said:
I skip them + training arcs.

I wouldn't enjoy Bleach or Naruto at all if I went off the fillers(They're barely decent as is). Same with their training arcs.

I'm right now skipping some of Hunter x Hunter due to training some parts being training a little for each episode. I only care about characters & story.

Lies. If you cared about characters and story you would care about why and how they developed their specific powers in HxH.

Sep 9, 2012 12:43 PM

Sep 2008
Offcourse it does, you cant just take out the bad and ignore when youre going to rate the show. Thats stupid on every level.

Anime is NOT the same thing as manga. You wanna rate a serie based on its storyline only? Then read the manga.
The anime is sometimes a diffrent package. Sure, sometimes they are easy to skip but they are still there, dont ignore it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - 15 minutes ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you marry your favorite character if your government allowed this?

Shizuna - Yesterday

17 by Spunkert »»
30 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - May 24

57 by animeadept »»
46 minutes ago

» How charming is your waifu when she opens the door?

Catalano - May 23

11 by SgtBateMan »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

80 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.