Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 11, 2016 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I had a sad feeling about this episode.

For what's worth, Kiku's character is still portrayed as a man who is dead focused on his career.
I do feel like he's reached quite a level at the art of rakugo though. His performance on stage this episode with body language and movement is something that I find quite artistic. That Konatsu kid seems to be kinda interesting.

Stark700Mar 11, 2016 1:27 PM
Mar 11, 2016 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
First person to ask about being the main guy's student, and he refused. Teacher's final performance, and suddenly not feel well towards the end. He talked about his rivalry against a student of his father, who was the friend guy's adapted grandfather, and why he doesn't want him to inherit his name. His first performance after teacher's death is scary.

The old guy worried about him. So Miyokichi does write to her ex-boss. The main guy went to find the pair to settle things and saw little red hair girl (Kobayashi-san?) in ramen store. (Skipping ED)

Talking over time next.
tsubasaloverMar 11, 2016 10:50 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 11, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2015
That was rather trippy.. got interesting towards the end though, can't wait for the reunion next week!
One question though, is the little girl sukeroku's daughter, or is he just raising her with miyo?
Mar 11, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2008
^It's his daughter with Miyokichi
Mar 11, 2016 1:30 PM

Dec 2014
Raz1515 said:

One question though, is the little girl sukeroku's daughter, or is he just raising her with miyo?

Pretty sure that's his daughter.

Curious to know how Sukeroku's doing after all this time.

Edit: Goddammit ninja'd
I need sleep.
Mar 11, 2016 1:35 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode shed many things to light

No wonder Yakumo favoured Kiku, this pitiful man cheated Shin's master out of this world all because he was jealous and wanted Daddy's love/to be spoiled and popular....That really pissed me off to see

And to make matters worse he did the same to Shin too except the poor guy had it 10 times more worse since nobody took his side in the end unlike the first Sukeroku, heck not even Kiku....

Still, at least the old fart was honest and acknowledged that he was wrong and truly regretted his actions since he knew that Shin deserved to be/wanted to make him the next Yakumo/was the best/had the right mindset all along, so I'll give him a pass....RIP Old Man, its a shame that you didn't tell all of this to your true son

Still, Kiku really is a cold hearted guy, that last performance that he did left a bad tatse in my mouth and now I don't even know how I feel about him but I don't think he's far gone just yet

However, the star of the episode is easily Konatsu....Man she was too cute performing her dad's Rakugo so enthusiastically and confident and at such a young age too - Truly a natural prodigy just like her daddy :'')

Great episode overall though and I can't wait to see the reunion of the young trio plus Kawaii Little Konatsu....Looks like Miyokichi isn't doing so well though :( I can already smell the trouble arising just by that one shot of her in the PV
TokoyaMar 11, 2016 1:49 PM
Mar 11, 2016 1:46 PM

Jan 2012
Far narrower in scope episode than I expected this week, but no less powerful. From the overcast opening it seemed clear death was in the air, but the 7th Yakumo's deathbed confession about his past with Sukeroku really caught me by surprise, loved it though. And that deathly performance Kiku put on was excellent, I could relate to it and his relishing the silence, the loneliness, it was the best performance seen so far, for me anyway. Just an all around captivating episode, one of my favorites. I was really drawn in throughout, and then that end with chibi Konatsu! So cute! But yeah, this really is gonna stay in the past until the finale huh? What a misleading initial premise. :D
Mar 11, 2016 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Kiku's master passed away!

Konatsu is so cute!
Mar 11, 2016 1:56 PM

May 2013
This show is simply phenomenal.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.
Mar 11, 2016 2:20 PM

May 2015
It's sad to see Yakumo pass. That was probably hard for Kiku, though he was able to perform his famous rakugo, Shinigami. It's also interesting to know that Yakumo and the original Sukeroku met. Nice to see Konatsu... I really look forward to next week! I'm curious to see how Sukeroku and Miyokichi are doing.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Mar 11, 2016 2:24 PM

Jan 2008
Well, shit is about to go down in the next episode. I can't wait and I'm also dreading it.
Mar 11, 2016 2:35 PM

Feb 2015
'Now, I truly am alone.' Kiku's Shinigami rakugo was so good. Loved how his feeling of solitude was bleeding into the performance. Very nice visuals. Next episode will bring back the bro-drama.
devinderMar 11, 2016 3:54 PM
Mar 11, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2012
So that's why Shin-san wasn't chosen. The best scene was when Kiku thought he was truly alone now.
Amazing art/animation as always.
Mar 11, 2016 2:43 PM

Aug 2014
That was pretty bold. To do a Rakugo about death the day after his master died. Kiku's truly a master now, not only in Rakugo art but in control of his emotions as well.

The look on Kiku's face after seeing Konatsu xD I really want to know what was going through his mind the first time he heard her Rakugo.

It feels like forever since Kiku 'broke-up' with Shin. I can't wait for them to get back together again next episode.

Speaking of episodes, we're at episode 10 and still no Yotarou xD It doesn't look like he'll appear in the next episode either. This anime is determined to save him until the end. I'm expecting huge things from him at this point.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Mar 11, 2016 2:44 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sukeroku was really done over and all for the wrong reasons. Both him and his master cheated out of the profession.

Having said that, it's undeniable that Kiku has grown inmeasurably as a Rakugo performer. His performance was magnificent.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 11, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
Why is the preview playing? I just started the episode!! .-.

Great episode, cant wait for next one. It will be a long week till I can see it T-T
Mar 11, 2016 3:34 PM

Nov 2014
Tokoya said:
Still, Kiku really is a cold hearted guy, that last performance that he did left a bad tatse in my mouth and now I don't even know how I feel about him but I don't think he's far gone just yet

Yeah, that was a strange performance. Kiku has become more sophisticated in a sense, but he's still very aloof, and more comfortable in "solitude."

I still give this episode a 5/5.
Mar 11, 2016 4:46 PM
Jan 2015
This show is absolutely outstanding. My AOTS with no doubts!

Does somebody know who´s making the OST for this? They don´t specify it in MAL and I´m really interested...
Mar 11, 2016 4:52 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
This episode was unbelievably powerful. Kiku's performance, after all those events that just happened to him, felt frightening yet interesting. Wow, Konatsu!

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerMar 11, 2016 7:44 PM
Mar 11, 2016 4:55 PM

Nov 2007
DeadWulfGT said:
Does somebody know who´s making the OST for this? They don´t specify it in MAL and I´m really interested...

Music is done by the same person who does ED, Kana Shibue. MAL isn't updated as of now (I just submitted it).
tsubasaloverMar 11, 2016 7:44 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 11, 2016 5:42 PM
Jan 2015
tsubasalover said:
DeadWulfGT said:

Music is done by the same person who does ED, Kana Shibue. MAL isn't updated as of now (I just submitted it).

Thank you sooo much!
Mar 11, 2016 5:58 PM

Jan 2008
I just noticed Kiku's little eye twitch when Konatsu introduced herself. Really can't wait for the next episode
Mar 11, 2016 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
OMG. When little konatsu was doing her rakugo i remembered sukeroku when he first met kiku and he also told that same story. I'll be shocked if this girl is not sukeroku's daughter, because she acts exactly like him.
And that master was so egoistc and spoiled. In the end he did not choose sukeroku because he was trained by the same guy that he hated in the past. Come on! That's ridiculous >.<
And Kiku surprised me a little bit with his attitude with the young boy that was asking him to be his apprentice. I understand he was mad because the boy was impolite to his master but he could be less agressive i guess
Mar 11, 2016 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
At least now there's finally an understanding as to why the master didn't choose Sukeroku.

Kiku's performance was pretty chilling, having gotten accustomed to him doing more playful rakugo. Was still good though.

Baby Konatsu is so precious.

This anime evokes too many emotions for me... getting vibes that sad stuff is upcoming (Sukeroku's death)...
Mar 11, 2016 6:56 PM

Jun 2014
Kiku's performance about the Shinigami was really interesting and an abrupt change of pace for him, especially since he always seemed to deliver more lighthearted, comedic performances. I thought he was going to pass out during his performance lol.

Lol at little Konatsu at the end, next episode should be a great one (who am I kidding, every episode is great).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 11, 2016 7:49 PM

Jul 2015
Kiku is cold af. Yakumo dying was sad. Specially when he she'd those tears when Kiku thanked him.
Mar 11, 2016 8:46 PM

Dec 2010
This anime is the only one where I feel tension every time I watch an episode, so thick you could cut it with a knife. Bravo for some compelling storytelling.

Konatsu is so cute I can't help grinning from ear to ear =)

I hope the sales for this show picks up though, it deserves much more. Well below the Manabi line =(

Rakugo v1 sells 1,561 BDs, DVDs do not rank.

http://www.someanithing.com/4519
Mar 11, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2012
kiku's shinigami performance was quite interesting, even if it felt kind of weird that he performed that right after the master's funeral.
and konatsu is so adorable as a little kid haha.
Mar 11, 2016 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
I didn't find it weird, I thought it was a good choice of story after a funeral.
Perhaps we may talk about cultural difference here I don't know.

Raz1515 said:
That was rather trippy.. got interesting towards the end though, can't wait for the reunion next week!

His daughter, or at least not Kiku's one since he broke up with her in March and she didn't have a belly in Fall when she's with Sukeroku. Konatsu looks like Shin anyway.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
shawnofthedeadzMar 15, 2016 10:52 AM
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 11, 2016 11:20 PM

Oct 2014
lol'd at Kiku twitching his right eye when Konatsu introduced herself. Can't say anything about the music in this episode, they were superb! Especially the music for their master's back-story.
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
Mar 12, 2016 1:04 AM

Jan 2008
Annick said:
His daughter, or at least not Kiku's one since he broke up with her in March and she didn't have a belly in Fall when she's with Sukeroku. Konatsu looks like Shin anyway.

I am not sure but I think Kiku never slept with Miyokichi? I could be wrong, though. As for Konatsu, I think she's Shin's daughter. However, when Shin was telling Kiku about him moving with Miyokichi and that she's pregnant in the previous episode, it didn't look like he was talking about him being the father but maybe it's just me.
Mar 12, 2016 2:24 AM

Sep 2007
HatsumiShinogu said:
Annick said:

I am not sure but I think Kiku never slept with Miyokichi? I could be wrong, though. As for Konatsu, I think she's Shin's daughter. However, when Shin was telling Kiku about him moving with Miyokichi and that she's pregnant in the previous episode, it didn't look like he was talking about him being the father but maybe it's just me.

I thought so too, he was talking like he didn't have anything to do with the child O_o (and was embasrrased when he saw Miyokichi's chest?...), but Konatsu acts (and looks o_o) exactly like Shin so now I do think she's his daughter alright.
Mar 12, 2016 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Kiku' rakugo seems so eerie now, though I like way the atmosphere of the audience shown during the performance listening silently and carefully to the story without a sound rather than Master's rakugo which has the audience laughing during it. Also its interesting to know that Master actual knew the first Sukeroku, and how Kiku first met Konatsu.
Mar 12, 2016 5:01 AM

Nov 2013
That was weak and kinda slow. I hardly enjoy this episode, but nonetheless I can see nice set up and there's high chance the next episode would be great.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 12, 2016 5:44 AM

Nov 2011
Wish Erased wasn't airing, stealing all this show's plaudits.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 12, 2016 5:56 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The moment when i like little Konatsu's rakugo more than Kiku's. Sukeroku got cheated out, absolutely soul-crushing.
Mar 12, 2016 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
The shinigami rakugo was intense as hell.
Mar 12, 2016 9:11 AM

Jan 2015
The master's rakugo finally.
Shishou getting uneasy. He's out. Health is at a bad state it seems
The master really is a butthurt fucker isn't he
Shishou is ded. RIP
"LET IT RIP"
Yes bro, truly alone now.
SHADOW CLONE JUTSU!!
Katsura's voice actor really is fucking great!
What a rakugo performance by Kiku. *claps*
HARRY POTTER ZIGZAG TRAIN.
Ayy Sukeroku's little girl doing rakugo
Great episode! 4/5
Next one will be great too it seems!
Thoroughly liked this one.
Mar 12, 2016 9:42 AM
Aug 2015
Wow, this episode was honestly phenomenal. I really loved Bon's (nobody calls him that anymore!) Performance of shinigami. It was the first rakugo that Yotaru saw in prison, and was what brought him to Bon. There really was a sense of coming full circle there. That aside, the piece itself is PERFECT for Bon, and describes his character so accurately. It's quite dark and somber, but gentle and beautiful at the same time. When a shinigami pays a person a visit, meaning they are going to die soon, they are truly alone, similar to how Bon feels. He really is dead inside. The animation for the performance was stunning as well. I loved how all the lights went out when Kiku clapped, the audience disappeared and he was alone on stage. Him telling this eerie story surrounded by a candles had a great atmosphere. At the end of the episode Konatsu was just a joy to watch (she's so cute!!) Ok I could literally go on for hours about this fucking show so I'm go on a stop here :)
Mar 12, 2016 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
HatsumiShinogu said:
Annick said:

I would think he didn't because of what Miyokichi said "onna no ko kirai nano?" and his personality, but who knows? Well he's not Konatsu father because the dates don't match. In the manga, Shin looks more guilty when he annonces she's pregnant and if Miyokichi was pregnant from someone else, I guess she wouldn't elope with Shin who is poor and harass the real father instead.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 12, 2016 10:10 AM

Jun 2015
Really great anime, didnt expect it to be these good.
Definitely my fav this Season and i think it deserves more attention from people.
Mar 12, 2016 11:41 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Annick said:
HatsumiShinogu said:

I would think he didn't because of what Miyokichi said "onna no ko kirai nano?" and his personality, but who knows? Well he's not Konatsu father because the dates don't match. In the manga, Shin looks more guilty when he annonces she's pregnant and if Miyokichi was pregnant from someone else, I guess she wouldn't elope with Shin who is poor and harass the real father instead.
Where do you read the manga?
Mar 12, 2016 12:24 PM

Jun 2013
and the master is dead and that little kid looks exactly like sukeroku
Mar 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
Tokoya said:
Annick said:

Where do you read the manga?

Don't remember, it's in Japanese though, I think you can find it if you google the title+raw or the title in Japanese.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 12, 2016 6:03 PM

Dec 2008
They've got their kid out there doing Rakugo to earn money for them? Shin and Miyokichi are shitty parents.
Mar 12, 2016 7:12 PM

Oct 2011
I hope Kiku and Sukeroku stay friends and don't follow the same path as what Yakumo did to Sukuroko back then T__T
Mar 12, 2016 8:21 PM

Jul 2013
EPIC EPISODE!!! 100/10 goosh!

This anime is really great! My favorite without doubt

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post. Please note, all posts must be in English in the main forums as explained in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
shawnofthedeadzMar 15, 2016 10:51 AM

100% of all dead people have never complained about being dead. So I guess it isnt that bad.
Mar 12, 2016 9:35 PM

Feb 2011
I don't mind spoiler; is Konatsu really Sukeroku's daughter? Personally I don't think so. Though I'm positive she's not Kiku's either (I'm not even sure if he likes women :p)...
Mar 12, 2016 9:44 PM

Dec 2014
Kiku sure has pride, I think I will and always like Sakurako Better. The Kid's Rakugo was epic
Mar 13, 2016 12:07 AM

Mar 2016
Kiku's performance in this episode was chilling. Both in a "this is creepy" way, and in a "this show is so good that I'm getting shivers down my spine" way.

As Erased in my opinion seems to be losing some of its momentum, this show has literally only gotten better. It is razor sharp, almost brutally focused and confident in everything from the writing, to the directing, to the soundtrack and animation.

Still a few more weeks to go, but as of now I think there's an extremely strong chance Rakugo will be a modern classic.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

263 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.