Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer to refer to an anime by its English or Japanese name?

New
English or Japanese anime name?
Sep 30, 2014 10:00 PM

Apr 2014
I'm slightly ashamed to admit that animes advertised with English names catch my eye more than those with their Japanese name. Maybe its an acquired taste, what with some of the best animes being referred to in English (aka. Deathnote, Fate/Zero, FMA: Brotherhood,etc). The English names also help me get an early idea of what the anime will be about, whereas "Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai" will tell me little to nothing. Whats the consensus and some opinions on this topic? ---PS, this is my first Topic post so I have no clue what I'm doing ._.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 30, 2014 10:03 PM

Jul 2010
Which ever name I was introduced to first.
Such as Princess Mononoke, it being turned into Japanese name was :( for me.
Whatever is most familiar I would prefer it. Probably the most commonly used name too.
Though I do find the English name being easier to remember unless of course it is rarely used.
Sep 30, 2014 10:13 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah being easy to remember is a good point too. It makes me wonder why more people call Future Diary by it's Japanese name (Mirai Nikki). Something so simple and mysterious didn't catch on, but I guess Mirai Nikki is what its primarily referred to as in almost everything and got drilled into our skulls.
Sep 30, 2014 10:15 PM

Nov 2012
The original name.
Sep 30, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2014
The name that everyone knows and uses.
Sep 30, 2014 10:16 PM

Aug 2014
I use the Japanese name.
Sep 30, 2014 10:18 PM

Dec 2013
Japanese sometimes,English other times, decent first thread
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 30, 2014 10:18 PM

Nov 2010
Which one I get used to first(which is usually the Japanese as I watch airing anime), which one is more canon(referred to in the show), which one is catchier or easier to say, the name that people I talk about the anime with use, etc.

Most of the time it's the Japanese name but there are some that I prefer in English. For most I don't really care.

Protaku94 said:
I'm slightly ashamed to admit that animes advertised with English names catch my eye more than those with their Japanese name. Maybe its an acquired taste, what with some of the best animes being referred to in English (aka. Deathnote, Fate/Zero, FMA: Brotherhood,etc). The English names also help me get an early idea of what the anime will be about, whereas "Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai" will tell me little to nothing. Whats the consensus and some opinions on this topic? ---PS, this is my first Topic post so I have no clue what I'm doing ._.
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai's English name is The World Only God Knows. Neither one really tells you much about the show.
Sep 30, 2014 10:19 PM

Apr 2012
no real preference

just whatever comes to mind i guess. i tend to use them interchangeably

Sep 30, 2014 10:21 PM

Jan 2011
Japanese when writing
English when speaking
Sep 30, 2014 10:21 PM

Mar 2013
nani?
Sep 30, 2014 10:26 PM

Dec 2012
Japanese unless it's something long like Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui.
Sep 30, 2014 10:34 PM

Apr 2014
Watamote is lovely, and I never had any trouble remembering the anime's condensed name ( I just realized what my avatar is). Maybe it is just a question of how simple and easy to memorize the name is, or how it feels rolling off your tongue.
Sep 30, 2014 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
Depends on whom im talking to. Usually my white anime watching friends use English names.
Sep 30, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2013
Rivalrun said:
Sep 30, 2014 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
Both?
Sep 30, 2014 10:55 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah pretty much whichever name comes to me first. I prefer calling Shigeki no Kyojin attack on titan because my friend told me it was called attack on titan when i first heard it. But id feel weird calling 'zankyou no terror' terror in resonance or whatever the english name is.

But im also like you in how english names catch my eye more, but only because you can usually tell what kind of anime it is simply by hearing the name so its easier to tell if id be interested in it or not at first glance, but obviously i dont know japanese so they all kind of blur together til i read the synopsis or see a preview
Sep 30, 2014 10:56 PM

Apr 2014
Supercolin said:
Both?

Both
Sep 30, 2014 11:00 PM

Mar 2008
I use both depending on how long the name is and how the english name sounds. No way can i remember some name like 20 syllables long.
Sep 30, 2014 11:05 PM

Jan 2009
do not have a particular preference i just memorize the title that is easy to remember
Sep 30, 2014 11:07 PM

Apr 2014
traed said:
I use both depending on how long the name is and how the english name sounds. No way can i remember some name like 20 syllables long.
(Is this how you're supposed to reply?) And yeah, some animes don't even have a well-known English translation like OreImo or OniAi (condensed Japanese name). I don't really mind condensed names, but I'll take those any day over having to spell out "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute."
Sep 30, 2014 11:18 PM

Aug 2014
Uh. Whichever one I read first.
Sep 30, 2014 11:28 PM

Jun 2013
I almost always prefer the Japanese titles with very few exceptions.

dunsparcedude said:
Japanese unless it's something long like Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui.

Long titles are not much of a problem, as they're often condensed even in Japan. Oreimo, Mondaiji, Watamote, etc.
Sep 30, 2014 11:49 PM

Aug 2014
Japanese whenever possible.
Oct 1, 2014 12:41 AM

Jan 2014
English name. I like to understand what I'm reading.
Addicted to visual novels omgg
Oct 1, 2014 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
Whatever sounds nice and short.
Oct 1, 2014 2:44 AM
May 2009
Depends if there is an english name.
Otherwise its all Japanese, Especially if you are speaking to japanese people.
Oct 1, 2014 5:43 AM

Jan 2014
SolviteSekai said:
Rivalrun said:
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 1, 2014 5:47 AM
Mar 2011
Japanese
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 1, 2014 5:49 AM
Mar 2011
Meokii said:

oddly it the Japanese fan base that come up with most of the shorten names for anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 1, 2014 5:51 AM

Feb 2013
In whichever way the person I'm speaking to can understand.
Oct 1, 2014 5:51 AM
Dec 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Meokii said:

oddly it the Japanese fan base that come up with most of the shorten names for anime
no its us english people that do
Oct 1, 2014 5:54 AM
Mar 2011
PerfectScore said:
Attack on Titan
Mondaiji-tachi
Haganai
Cooking manga

Whatever slides out of my tongue faster and easier. I don't know anyone who has ever called Seitokai no Ichizon "Student Council's Discretion."

attack on Titian is a mistranslation Kyojin this coming form a Japanese person is hadly if never traskated as Titan it mean Giants ex Kyojun no Hoshi [ eng Star of the Giants]

Oct 1, 2014 5:54 AM
Mar 2011
ScazoN said:
FGAU1912 said:

proof plz

Oct 1, 2014 5:58 AM

Jul 2014
I prefer Japanese names, cause there're less problems with translation. You just remember the sequence of letters and use it to scare the uninitiated.
Oct 1, 2014 6:01 AM
Dec 2013
FGAU1912 said:
ScazoN said:

proof plz

Shippuden = Naruto shippUden
HxH = Hunter x Hunter
SNAFU ='Oregairu
Madoka = Madoka Magica somethingsomething
etc

Oct 1, 2014 6:01 AM

Jul 2014
No preference.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Oct 1, 2014 6:04 AM

Jan 2012
Japanese.

The English names are sometimes way off and only cause confusion.

e.g.
Asobi ni Iku yo!Cat Planet Cuties
Oct 1, 2014 6:08 AM
Dec 2013
VBS said:
Japanese.

e.g.
most of us don't even understand the japanese titles so it would be no difference
Oct 1, 2014 6:08 AM
Mar 2011
ScazoN said:
FGAU1912 said:

proof plz

HxH = Hunter x Hunter
SNAFU ='Oregairu
etc

kys pls

i hope ypu know the Madoka game is only knaow as madoka maigica Porttable and has it seen a us releses no it has not
with hunter hunter you add to i isnce the x is not said in Japanese so in Japan its said as hunter Hunter written was Hunter X Hunter

i never head western anime commentator call it properly and iv watched plemty of hunter hunter based vids

X isjust there in this case as a spreartion

Oct 1, 2014 6:09 AM
Mar 2011
ScazoN said:
VBS said:
Japanese.

e.g.
most of us don't
even understand the japanese titles so it would be no difference

it splpts the fanbase of shows when this sort of bad traskation happnes hence why i idslike this practice

Oct 1, 2014 6:13 AM
Dec 2013
FGAU1912 said:
ScazoN said:

HxH = Hunter x Hunter
SNAFU ='Oregairu
etc

kys pls

i hope ypu know the Madoka game is only knaow as madoka maigica Porttable and has it seen a us releses no it has not
with hunter hunter you add to i isnce the x is not said in Japanese so in Japan its said as hunter Hunter written was Hunter X Hunter

i never head western anime commentator call it properly and iv watched plemty of hunter hunter based vids

oh yeah i know that, im tslking about madoka anime , aren'twe ?
Oct 1, 2014 6:18 AM
Mar 2011
ScazoN said:
FGAU1912 said:

oh yeah i know that, im tslking about madoka anime , aren'twe ?

the based on the Game gather the wideer franchise yes its Multimedia now wil m motsly likly just be Madoka Magica to most people or a a push mahou shojuo madoka magica not pulla shoujo makaoka magica [ n yes i not a huegs fan of the franchise and i even and mpst people who work along side me just call t madoka magica

Oct 1, 2014 6:25 AM

Nov 2008
English name most of the time. I find Japanese to be an unpleasant language. Down there with Dutch and Spanish.

Oct 1, 2014 6:28 AM

Sep 2014
I usually refer by its Japanese name, but it's better to know for both Japanese and English as well.

For example, if people mention "Have you ever watched Attack on Titan?" when you have watched it already but you don't know it's actually refer to Shingeki no Kyojin, you will say "No, what is this anime about?".
Oct 1, 2014 6:29 AM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
ScazoN said:
most of us don't
even understand the japanese titles so it would be no difference

it splpts the fanbase of shows when this sort of bad traskation happnes hence why i idslike this practice

And what does this division of fans amount to? Do they start warring over which name is better? Or is this simply a case of sub versus dub simplified?
Oct 1, 2014 7:08 AM
Mar 2011
Cyaegha said:
FGAU1912 said:

And what does this division of fans amount to? Do they start warring over which name is better? Or is this simply a case of sub versus dub simplified?

for somthing that is a niche as anime is money amking wise in th wes at least the split in the fan base is not a good think to have

this is on of the man reason that i alot of Asian anime fans fnd it hard i alk to find it vet hard to yak to us fans

buton this debae as a whole i hink the tite lused should be he one were you it ah d bigger total profit margin ie were he franchise or shoe made most of its money

its the same for very form of Media

Oct 1, 2014 7:13 AM

Jul 2014
The name I hear first normally, but sometimes the japanese names are so weird, I think "Fullmetal Alchemist" is "Haganeno Renkenjitsushi" or something and thats quite hard to say :D
It wasn't me who was wrong, it was the world!
Oct 1, 2014 7:13 AM

Jan 2012
@FGAU1912: You typing on a phone or something? You've mistyped so many words that your post is nearly impossible to decipher.
Oct 1, 2014 7:17 AM

Sep 2014
Depending on how I first discovered it, and also what it sounds like.

For example, Death note is Death note everywhere I've seen it, so of course I use it in english. The same thing with Fullmetal Alchemist.

Attack on Titan uses it's both names, so Shingeki no Kyojin also stick with me fast, even when I had problems pronouncing it at first.

For some series, the original japanese name just sounds miles better than the enslish translation, so I use that. Like Mirai Nikki.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - 32 minutes ago

4 by Theo1899 »»
7 minutes ago

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - 46 minutes ago

2 by SleepySteamBun »»
8 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

15 by JTRAnimeNewb »»
25 minutes ago

» What filters do you use while browsing MAL?

Dije - 55 minutes ago

4 by 23feanor »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.