Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2009 6:36 PM
Mar 2009
Hey all,

I like to watch anime two series at a time and alternate episodes between them. I last finished Higashi No Eden and Nanoha StrikerS. Now, because it was recommended to me by so many people I can imagine, I plan to watch off the Death Note series. It looks pretty good. I was looking for a second to watch for September and I was feeling something really sad, like any genre with a deep story or a shoujo/yuri with a depressing ending; So I was wondering if anyone came across an anime that gave you that feeling in your stomach at the end. I saw a couple, like Blue Drop and Aria, but don't know what to go to next.
deletemeplzzSep 11, 2009 6:52 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 11, 2009 7:40 PM

Apr 2009
I'v never actually cried, but Shizuma's mental breakdown in Strawberry Panic got me teary(Not the one after Kaori died, the one after Miyuki told her she had to forget about Nagisa)
Sep 11, 2009 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
1 = not really that sad 5 = reaaaaally sad, /sniffle 6 = tears 7 = cried like a little girl :'(

Air: 6
Blood+: 5
Blue Drop: 5
Hitsuji no Uta: 5.5
Kanon 2006: 4
Kannazuki no Miko: 4.5
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: 5
Onegai Twins: 3.5
Saikano: 5
Simoun: 4.5
Strawberry Panic: 2
Clannad After story: 7.5 (longest sustained cry since I was like 10 years old, it was ridiculous)
Sep 11, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
Unkind said:

Clannad After story: 7.5 (longest sustained cry since I was like 10 years old, it was ridiculous)

WTF is with that anime that EVERYONE says its so sad?! I need to hurry up and finish it to see if it's really that freakin sad.

I doubt i can give an emotional response in a hetero anime though. I will be truly and honestly surprised.
Sep 11, 2009 8:32 PM
Mar 2009
Yeah, Strawberry Panic (anime) was quite an drama fest in the second half. I thought the Yaya / Hikari arc was my most favorite though, it seemed the most authentic. Kaori was a pretty sad character too. I also think it was sad Tsubomi didn't get a full on older girl/younger girl relationship.

One of my favorite anime, Yami to Boushi, was one of the sadder ones I've seen, especially the scenes toward the end with Hatsumi and Hazuki (I don't wanna write spoilers ^_^). The ending of Simoun was kinda depressing too, I got the feeling of like lost innocence and the good things coming to an end.

So many people on MAL give Clannad 10s
deletemeplzzSep 11, 2009 8:55 PM
Sep 11, 2009 9:56 PM

Jan 2008
Whatever happened to Fay Wray
That delicate satin draped frame
As it clung to her thigh
How I started to cry
Cause I wanted to be dressed just the same
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters
Of sins of the flesh
Erotic nightmares beyond any measure
And sensual day-dreams
To treasure forever
Can't you just see it
Whoa-ho ohhh

Don't dream it, be it
Don't dream it, be it

Sorry, it just popped to mind...

I wonder how many people even know who Fay Wray is...
Sep 11, 2009 10:41 PM

Jul 2008
TarewPnx said:
I was looking for a second to watch for September and I was feeling something really sad, like any genre with a deep story or a shoujo/yuri with a depressing ending

You certainly picked the right genre ^^;

For depressing anime endings I will reccomend you Oniisama e... and Utena. Not sure about Utena but something is compelling me to suggest it.

"I'm always sleeping in my forest of thorns."
- Satou Sei
Sep 11, 2009 11:23 PM

Apr 2009
Blue Drop

Sep 13, 2009 4:09 AM

Sep 2008
I think admitting that I know who Fay Wray is is admitting im old. Wasnt she taken to the top of the empire state building by King Kong? The original film not the remake of the remake. :P

I dont cry very much during anime however there is one that made me sob and crab the tissues:

Clannad After Story.

Not so much when

but when

waterworks... seriously. I dont think I have ever cried that much before.
Sep 13, 2009 4:37 AM

Nov 2007
Skadi said:
I think admitting that I know who Fay Wray is is admitting im old. Wasnt she taken to the top of the empire state building by King Kong? The original film not the remake of the remake. :P

I dont cry very much during anime however there is one that made me sob and crab the tissues:

Clannad After Story.

Not so much when

but when

waterworks... seriously. I dont think I have ever cried that much before.

Yeah it made me cry too!!

I cried in Clannad and Clannad AS a lot, and in Aria, but not because it was sad... just...emotionally

Sep 13, 2009 9:04 AM

Jul 2007
I've always found a
a cheap way to evoke deep emotions in the watcher, but that doesn't mean I won't fall into it too. A recent example lies in Claymore:

Sep 13, 2009 11:05 AM

Jan 2008
Skadi said:

Well, there are the options of claiming to be a freak (via Rocky Horror) or a classic movie buff...

So that I am vaguely on topic, I don't really cry, but I get all choked up easily enough and at any good anime that has a sad part.
Sep 13, 2009 2:39 PM

Sep 2008
I always get Little Shop of Horrors and Rocky Horror picture show mixed up. I wasnt really big on those movies. I liked stuff like Grease, Tommy, and ABBA the movie! (I am Swedish afterall!) I like the classic movie buff thing, well I am. I love Ingrid Bergman and I have most of her old movies she made in Sweden before she came to Hollywood.
Sep 13, 2009 3:33 PM

Jan 2008
Skadi said:
I always get Little Shop of Horrors and Rocky Horror picture show mixed up. I wasnt really big on those movies. I liked stuff like Grease, Tommy, and ABBA the movie! (I am Swedish afterall!) I like the classic movie buff thing, well I am. I love Ingrid Bergman and I have most of her old movies she made in Sweden before she came to Hollywood.

If it has to do with wearing women's clothing and indiscriminate couplings of 2 or more persons then it is Rocky Horror. If it has to do with Sentient carnivorous plants, then it is Little Shop of Horrors (feed me Seymour). I find movies done before CGI to be fascinating, and one of my favorites of all time is Metropolis (the silent film)
Sep 14, 2009 3:20 AM

Apr 2008
Air and Ef~the Tale of Memories, though it's not yuri.
Sep 14, 2009 3:55 AM
Jun 2008
I don't think I ever cried for yuri. Let me think... nope. I felt my gut wrench for some things, but no tears.

But anime that made me cry:

- most KyoAni anime: Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ (the latter I actually was sobbing throughout, especially after the midway point), AIR (omg, omg, TEARS), Kanon (2006)

- Grave of the Fireflies

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ("manly" GAR tears with some depressed/disappointed/sad tears)

- Witchblade (trust me, the last few episodes are worth sitting through the first dozen or so. As a bonus, there is some slight yuri in this one)

- Princess Mononoke (but anything Miyaki Hayao makes)

- Cross Game

- Legend of the Galactic Heroes

- Alien 9 (bonus, yuri implications)

- Fruits Basket

- Mushishi

- Honey and Clover and Honey and Clover II (the latter making me sob big tears too; I doubt this will be in anyone's interest since this is a coming of age story about a dude and features several straight romances)

- Macross Plus

- Haibane Renmei (bonus yuri implications!)

Yes, the "dreaded het romances" seem to garner more tears from me. But love is love as far as I am concerned, doesn't matter if it's a guy x girl, girl x girl or guy x guy. Yuri just needs some more skilled writers and broader stories.

Most yuri is what I would consider to be in the beta stages, despite it becoming a recognised genre over the last decade. Like the old school romance anime, it is still focussed on beginnings and specific themes. Anime like Clannad are successful because they extend beyond the simple "falling in love" routine.
Sep 14, 2009 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
i remember i almost cried at the end of blue drop and eureka seven.
Sep 14, 2009 7:17 AM
Jun 2008
Supernova1337 said:

WTF is with that anime that EVERYONE says its so sad?! I need to hurry up and finish it to see if it's really that freakin sad.

I doubt i can give an emotional response in a hetero anime though. I will be truly and honestly surprised.

Your heart is stone if can't cry or be moved by Clannad ~After Story~. Only thing that stopped me from rating it a 10 was the bumps in the story.
Sep 14, 2009 9:42 AM

Apr 2009
tehnominator said:
Your heart is stone if can't cry or be moved by Clannad ~After Story~.

Your challenge...

...is accepted. B)
Sep 14, 2009 2:13 PM

Apr 2009
lynx said:
A recent example lies in Claymore:

T____T That was my first time crying because of an anime after a long time (actually, I don't recall crying before that oo)

Oh, and also in ef ~ a tale of melodies.
Even though I prefer ef ~ a tale of memories, and the second tale wasn't so good for me, I got kinda teary when
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 14, 2009 2:20 PM

Feb 2008
I think the ending of Aria was the only moment when I ever cried because of an anime.
Sep 14, 2009 2:22 PM
Jul 2009
lynx said:

Same for me, as well as the earlier mentioned Clannad (didn't finish After Story, though...got stuck at episode 18 or 19) -
I'm pretty quick to shed tears, actually. Happened in almost every good drama/romance anime I've come across - be it yuri or hetero.

Teresa was the first one to cause heartache. [/fanboy mode=off]
Sep 14, 2009 3:49 PM

Sep 2009
Hmm let's see... the worst crying anime I watched were Elfen Lied, 5 centimeters per second, ef a tale of memories, H2O Footprints in the sand, Strawberry Panic, My Hime ... I think that's about my top sad anime
Sep 14, 2009 8:38 PM
Mar 2009
So it looks like Clannad then ^_^
Sep 15, 2009 5:13 AM

May 2008
Your unhuman if Clannad doesn't move you. Especially "that" episode in ~After Story~.

Kanon and Air too of course, though Clannad was much better.
Sep 15, 2009 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
Clannad Afterstory and Grave of the Fireflies.
Sep 15, 2009 7:39 AM

Nov 2007
+1 to Haibane Renmei, the ending.... *A*
+10000000000K to Aria's ending <33333333

Haibane Renmei could have been such a great yuri...

Sep 15, 2009 9:56 AM

May 2009
Kannazuki no Miko and Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)
Sep 15, 2009 10:00 AM

May 2009
Strawberry Panic! and Blue Drop T-T
Sep 15, 2009 11:21 AM
Jul 2009
Elfen Lied made me cry for like 45 minutes straight...

When I rewatched the Rose of Versailles, I remembered it being nto so sad.... so I got a little teary....

Kannazuki no miko, made me a bit teary

The anime ending of Aoi Hana, got me a little chocked up.... because it was soooo cute... and I already made up my mind that it had to be chopped at that poit due to the number of episodes.

Can't remember anything else...

I was surprised that people cried with Blue Drop... i think that the ending was disappointing rather than sad....
Oct 4, 2009 6:58 PM
Jun 2008
Seriously, Clannad ~After Story~ wins if you want to cry girly tears, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you want to cry manly tears.

I just watched a damn screen cap from Clannad ~AS~ and I wanted to bawl. Despite it not being relevant to yuri in any possible way, it is a fine anime worth the watch.
Oct 5, 2009 2:20 PM

Jan 2009
I don't think I have EVER cried due to something that I had been watching since I was a small child, books are the only thing that has ever gotten me teary eyed.

But there have been a few anime that have elicited a strong emotional response from me:

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Devilman Lady

and.....
Red Garden (I haven't finished it but it's very touching so far)
Cutie Honey the Live (since it's live action it doesn't really count but I just finished it a actually liked it)

The series that has gotten the biggest emotional response from me were the Xenosaga games. >_<
"Wish as hard as you can, and they will know your feelings" - Juri Arisugawa
Oct 5, 2009 2:29 PM

Oct 2007
THE LION KING!

Oh, right, anime.
I'm such a crying baby at anime & movies xD

Let's see... I don't remember any yuri anime making me cry though.
But I felt really sad in Simoun

Oh wait, Aoi Hana made my eyes wet, but not a single tear came down.

-Nana made me cry lots of times, over and over.
I love Nana :3

-Fullmetal Alchemist. Yeah, a shonen made me cry, so what. Also Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Trinity Blood. And Death Note. Shonen have feelings too xD
I have a ten year old boy in me.

-When I was nine years old, I cried so hard because of Pokemon the movie ha ha ha.

-I'm on your side, tehnominator. Honey and Clover I & II.

There was a time when I cried over almost every series that I finished.
Even with Azumanga Daioh, I didn't want it to finish. :(

He he xD
melieonOct 5, 2009 2:38 PM
Oct 5, 2009 4:37 PM
Jun 2008
melieon said:

-I'm on your side, tehnominator. Honey and Clover I & II.

The ending of Honey and Clover made me cry just as hard as

did. Single handedly the most powerful scene in that anime, and there were a lot of amazing scenes in it.
Oct 5, 2009 9:49 PM

Sep 2009
Unkind said:

He is right It was the first time I cry for about 5 or 6 year. I was like, stop crying then see the next episode and then start to cry again
It was the only anime or thing that make me cry that way.
Oct 6, 2009 10:46 AM
Jul 2009
I wonder if that is going to ruin my crying when I watch that... I neer expected to cry at Elfen Lied. There is this lebanese chick flick... that was somewhat unexpected... as well
Oct 12, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
if you talk about yuri
Sasameki Koto - 1st ep
and
Kannazuki no Miko - neer the end

make my cry a lite
Oct 12, 2009 3:06 PM

Aug 2009
i cryed for kikyo when they (killed) her the second time in inuyasha and the ending

I cryed for strawberry panic 18-19+ ending

Kannazuki no miko last ep

I cryed alot both times they killed haruka/michiru in sailor moon

Fullmeta alchemist when lust died, ending and when ed cryed mostly

utena tv(so saad
movie(happy tears that time)

brust angel ending

I cry alot so i watch anime a lone alot( i didn't like to cry in frund of poeple
Oct 17, 2009 10:54 AM
May 2008
I've just counted my list to check,
I've cried with 61 anime. It's weird, I'm actually feeling proud.

But anyway, the ones I cried the most with were: elfen lied, h2o footprints in the sand, phantom requiem for a phantom, air and yeah... clannad after story.
Oct 17, 2009 7:30 PM

Sep 2009
Oh geeze, I'm going to have to count all of the ones that I've cried with. I'm such a wuss when it comes to anime-- or movies/TV shows for that matter.

List:

KyoAni has a big part in making me become best friends with my faithful tissue box. I cried the absolute most in Air, Clannad, and Kanon combined. Though Ga-rei had me really going, too.

My first anime to cry at was either Pokemon or Pokemon 4Ever. ._.
WhiskersOct 17, 2009 7:40 PM
-
Oct 17, 2009 7:33 PM
Jun 2008
Whiskers said:

My first anime to cry at was either Pokemon or...

I know that feeling :( I cried when I saw the 3rd movie... like three years ago :/ A grown person shouldn't be crying during Pokemon, but it was sad! The girl had no mommy ._.
Oct 17, 2009 7:36 PM

Oct 2007
I'm a crying baby with videogame endings, but with anime I've only cried a lot with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Oh wait, Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo was pretty hard on me too.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Oct 17, 2009 9:00 PM

Sep 2009
tehnominator said:

A grown person shouldn't be crying during Pokemon, but it was sad!

Yeah! It makes me feel pretty strange to be crying over kids' shows, but it ends up happening anyway. >->

Sidenote: I just finished Eve no Jikan and got teary-eyed. Adding it to the list... *Facepalms*
-
Oct 18, 2009 7:53 PM

Mar 2008
There were a lot of animes that got to me, some more than others.

Blood +: 6
Fushigi Yuugi: 9
Strawberry Panic: 6
Fruits Basket: 7
Uta Kata: 6
Nabari no Ou: 8
Clannad/Clannad After Story: 8
Howl's Moving Castle: 1
Naruto/Naruto Shippuden: 7
Bleach: 4
Koutetsu Sangokushi: 5
07 Ghost: 4 (So far)
Winter Cicada: 8
Kuroshitsuji: 5

On a scale of one to ten, one being not that sad, to ten where a flood gate was open.

There's probably a few more, but this is all I can think of for the moment.
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Oct 30, 2009 2:18 PM

Oct 2009
i cried my tears out when i watched kannazuki no miko D: and strawberry panic and maria-sama ga mitery because sei finished school xD and i think im way to emotional when i watch anime, i even creid when i watched mai hime D:

Nov 1, 2009 10:15 AM
May 2008
tehnominator said:
Whiskers said:

My first anime to cry at was either Pokemon or...

I know that feeling :( I cried when I saw the 3rd movie... like three years ago :/ A grown person shouldn't be crying during Pokemon, but it was sad! The girl had no mommy ._.

lol, me too, I absolutely loved that movie.
Best pokemon episode/movie I ever saw.
Nov 16, 2009 9:06 PM

Dec 2008
Haibane Renmei, Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ are the only things that really got me crying.
Mar 29, 2010 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
now i'm really embarassed to say.. i cry almost all the time on anime. ; / so i will choose those anime when i was totally in tears.

- TTGL - Waterfall of Tears.i was depressed for 2 days
-Aria The Origination [Morrison mode one]'this is the end..dududu..my only friend the end'[Morrison mode off].. the end of everything,Alicia is leaving, awesome scenes, awesome music, awesome ..
-Elfen Lied my first anime ever. Lilium in the end of series..i was moved.
-Kannazuki no Miko : <
-GTO best anime ever. i will never forget that. i just couldn't stand that it's over.
-Haibane Renmei generally depressing and i just needed to cry
- Bleach well i don't remember clearly cause it was a long time ago and i don't watch it anymore but some sad moments with Ruka. yes.
-FMA 2 times. death of Ninca Tucker and Hughes.

Now manga (yes that's weird but cant help it)

- 20th century boys - friends are depressing O_O
-Ai-Ren - eh ;/ sad
-Blood:the last Vampire - i dont remeber clearly cause i was a bit drunk when i was reading this but i cried
-Deep Love-Ayu - jesus that WAS depressing
-Yokohama Kaidashi -nostalgic and sad
Apr 10, 2010 4:02 AM

Sep 2009
I cried after watching one episode of Pokemon as a kid... It was the episode where Ash sent Butterfree away to live with all the other Butterfree.

As an adult though, I haven't cried after watching any anime. Grave of the Fireflies came the closest though... I felt really, really depressed and went all philosophical to myself, but I didn't cry.

Actually, my grandmother died of cancer shortly afterwards, and I never cried at any point during that whole ordeal either... Not when she was diagnosed, not when I was told she was going to die, not when I saw her lying, effectively dead, not when she went into a coma, and not during the funeral.

Though, I almos cried when my Sister came home on the day she went into a coma, and my mother told her she wasn't going to wake up. My sister left the room in tears and my mother and I went through to hug her.

I think the reason I tried so hard not to cry, was I felt I had to 'be a man' and try and comfort everyone else. It seems kinda outdated, but I just felt I had to.

That's not really related to anime, but I just wanted to express myself about it. I don't like talking about it too much, but just now I felt like reflecting on that.

So, I don't cry much.

When my mother's turn comes, I'll be distraught, though.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Jun 2009
I'm one of those people who weep easily, but never cry during any anime (or cartoons in general). Of course some of them made me feel sad, but somehow I was never emotionally affected enough to start crying. That doesn't mean that I lack empathy - seeing people (or animals) helplessly suffer (in most cases because they're tortured) is the kind of stuff that makes me burst into tears. Maybe it's weird, but according to the descriptions on MAL, a lot of hentai would make me cry my eyes out because of all that sick torture and rape (type 2) stuff. But then again I'm not even sure if that could work since it's "just" a collection of drawn pictures...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your sexual orientation? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Kyo - Jun 10, 2009

1186 by euls »»
Aug 15, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Which type of shoujo-ai/yuri pairings do you like the most? ( 1 2 )

Louchan - Jul 12, 2009

61 by removed-user »»
Jun 12, 2023 9:25 AM

» Ouji-sama nante iranai by Harushion (not on mal!, 200 pages) - Marimite/class-s like

Wannabiteme - Jun 4, 2023

1 by JB-94 »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:17 AM

» what kind of Shoujo-ai &amp; Yuri do you like ? ( 1 2 )

pitman - Aug 3, 2007

85 by HaruHaruLove »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:32 AM

» The boundaries of yuri (+ shoujo ai as for mal) - genderbender, crossdressing etc

Wannabiteme - Feb 25, 2016

4 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 12, 2023 5:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.