3It was OK
1.6%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.8
128 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2008 10:43 AM
Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What did you think about this episode? My personal favorite part in this episode is when the Count sends Albert back to Earth. I think it was the BG music that caught me more plus the Counts reaction. If anyone knows, can you tell me what is the name of the BG music at the end of the episode? I like it very much, thank you.
Oct 16, 2008 1:48 PM

Jul 2008
I can't remember the episode clearly since it's been about 2 years since I watched it. try looking at wikipedia they may have the soundtracks listed there.

Oct 17, 2008 9:54 AM
Jul 2008
Thank you but now I found it :D. It's called Kaishou by Kasamatsu Kouji. I looked thru all the soundtracks that I found and ... well, I found it. ;)
Nov 26, 2008 9:13 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, the end of this episode was just....epic.

I can't even find the right words to describe the raw emotion and power that was brought out by the what was going on, and by that amazing background music.

This series is impressing me on levels I never imagined it would.

EDIT: Thank you diannaa for the info! I had to go and download the soundtrack in order to find that one song. Listening to it on its own had even more of an impact I think. I don't believe I've ever heard a more stirring piece of music.

<3 this soundtrack. =D
morbidmuseNov 27, 2008 7:16 AM
Nov 29, 2008 12:26 AM
Nov 2008
15 is definitely one of my favorites just /because/ of that ending. words just aren't enough to express how much i love this series.
Jan 2, 2009 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
MistressMorbid said:

I can't even find the right words to describe the raw emotion and power that was brought out by the what was going on,

i certainly agree. it filled me with emotions unknown and had me shaking with anticipation and laughing like the count....well that was an experience which i wont forget...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2009 12:12 PM

Mar 2008
MistressMorbid said:

I can't even find the right words to describe the raw emotion and power that was brought out by the what was going on,

i certainly agree. it filled me with emotions unknown and had me shaking with anticipation and laughing like the count....well that was an experience which i wont forget...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2009 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
If Albert doesnt 'man up' or change in any substantial way in this anime I will deem it a tragic failure. Because so far we've seen this utterly worthless character be played like a puppet for so long and in such a deliciously evil way, to have him remain static as a buffoon would render his entire character moot. So I've got my fingers crossed for some character arc shenanigans coming up, dont let me down Gankutsuou...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 28, 2009 4:14 PM

Jul 2008
I loved all the space visuals. (*__*)

BEGINNER
Mar 18, 2010 2:44 PM

Jan 2009
Albert is so Gay!!!! xD

PD: Awesome episode
Mar 18, 2010 8:50 PM

Feb 2010
Prepare for your mind to be blown Albert....

All the pieces are falling into place in the counts plan.
Haydee was beautiful and strong....

<3 this show!
Apr 5, 2010 11:06 PM

Nov 2007
Pieces are falling into place, Albert isn't going to like what's going to happen now =/ seems a lot of people dislike him @_@ wonder what steps Franz will take now =O
Apr 12, 2010 4:16 AM

Jul 2009
Beatnik said:
If Albert doesnt 'man up' or change in any substantial way in this anime I will deem it a tragic failure. Because so far we've seen this utterly worthless character be played like a puppet for so long and in such a deliciously evil way, to have him remain static as a buffoon would render his entire character moot. So I've got my fingers crossed for some character arc shenanigans coming up, dont let me down Gankutsuou...

Albert is childish and is easily swayed and manipulated, but just because the main character isn't the most badass person known to man doesn't mean the series is no good. I swear.
Every time I see an English-speaker on the Internet add an honorific to someone's name, I die a little bit inside. Every time I see, "^_^," my will to carry on crumbles that much more.
Feb 28, 2011 8:09 PM

Sep 2008
thesilentarmy said:
Beatnik said:

Albert is childish and is easily swayed and manipulated, but just because the main character isn't the most badass person known to man doesn't mean the series is no good. I swear.

Very well put, actually (what thesilentarmy said).

I don't dislike Albert. His naïveté can get a little irritating sometimes, but that's not his fault; it's just his character. He's the perfect pawn for the Count to play with, unfortunately for Albert.

I couldn't believe myself when I believed for a minute that the Count was actually crying or something at that one point near the end... I mean, duh, this is the Count we're talking about - it's only natural that he'd be laughing hysterically at how well his plan is going. <_<' At least, I think his plan is going exactly as he wants it... Ah well. We shall see. As far as I can tell, everyone is acting and reacting exactly the way he wants them to.
merle_noirFeb 28, 2011 9:49 PM
Mar 15, 2011 8:23 AM

Aug 2008
OMG- >.<
the Count also got me! I really believed that he sincerely care for Albert when i saw his shoulder tremble (I even suspected that Albert might be Count's own son).

and then his evil laughter .. ruined my fantasy... -___-;

rushing to the next episode then... D:
Sep 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Jun 2007
Edmond starting to laugh in an insane manner, after looking like he was troubled, is one of my favourite anime moments. Even when re-watching it, a good few years after last watching the anime and reading the novel, it still sent a shiver down my spine.

Taking the novel into consideration, there would've been good reason for Edmond to feel conflicted over Albert since - like Albert - he was once a naive young boy, used by those he trusted. I took the laughter scene to be the point where Edmond lost the little remaining humanity he had to Gankutsuou.
Jan 8, 2012 7:44 PM

Sep 2009
Albert gets chained up really easily =/
He's so gullible ~_~

Also... Albert and the Count's relationship is so homoerotic XD

Love the end!
Jan 17, 2012 11:24 PM

Mar 2009
I have to echo everyone's sentiment. The ending of this episode will be remembered for years to come. That one BGM made it all the more effective.

And with this, I'd say it's time for Albert's mindfuck to begin. I feel bad for the poor naive fool.
May 14, 2012 12:30 PM

Mar 2008
God.. the ending of this episode.. hahaha:)
Sep 12, 2012 10:18 PM

Nov 2011
Dec 14, 2012 10:55 AM

May 2012
Dat evil laugh, great episode with allot of things going on, really nice stuff lets see what's next!
Dec 30, 2012 3:01 PM
Oct 2012
Yes, this episode discovered that a lot of things.
Albert is a stupid crybaby, act like a child...
Haide is so beautiful...

Mod Edit: Removed inflammatory remark.
ShockedNov 19, 2017 12:51 AM
Jul 25, 2013 8:03 AM

Mar 2013
I automatically imagined the Count and Albert kissing this whole episode, I can't help it...
Nov 3, 2013 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
I feel like Albert gets more hate than he deserves, sure he's naive but does that mean that people should hate him just for that or that it ruins the anime?
Avenger-senpaiNov 4, 2013 10:11 AM
Dec 24, 2013 4:47 PM
Sep 2012
The counts demonic evil laugh was awesome!
Jan 14, 2014 5:00 PM

Aug 2010
xAvengerx said:
I feel like Albert gets more hate than he deserves, sure he's naive but does that mean that people should hate him just for that or that it ruins the anime?

Agree with you here.

The ending of this episode.. the counts laugh was just awesome.
Mar 20, 2014 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Haydee, telling it like it is!

This has always been a memorable episode for me... partly because of Haydee, partly because of the count's spaceship.
Mar 23, 2014 8:08 AM

Apr 2013
Omg, that soundtrack... so epic

Apr 1, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
Dat laugh at the end..
You got me there Count, I'll give ya that.
And really Albert is going to have one hell of a time! XD
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 25, 2014 7:03 PM

Apr 2013
This episode gave me goosepimples.

Haidee's seiyuu is amazing.
migohunterApr 25, 2014 7:08 PM
Powerful eyebrows.
Jun 29, 2014 2:49 PM

Nov 2013
I thought the count was breaking down then suddenly.... EHUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What a scene.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 30, 2014 11:14 PM

Nov 2013
THAT EPIC ENDING TO THE EPISODE MY GOODNESS! COUNT HAS GONE CRAZY!

Aug 30, 2014 11:15 PM

Nov 2013
Seriously though. This anime is so epic.

Aug 9, 2015 8:50 AM

Feb 2015
Well, i thought he cared for Albert a little, at least i hoped. I guess i was wrong.
Aug 13, 2015 6:34 AM

Jan 2014
Haydee, you go girl!!! I love you <3

I thought Chateau d'If was French for hell at first. Not sure why.

Count's evil laughter at the end, hahaha. It was cute :3
Aug 27, 2015 7:27 AM

Oct 2013
Those last few minutes... so epic. Not even sure why that escalated to the degree it did. It went from Haydee revealing Morcerf's crimes to the Albert being sent off in a frenzied panic with seemingly no clue what's going on. Though reflecting on it now, that may have been the purpose: for the viewer to be lost in the sudden emotional intensity the way Albert was.

The Count was officially revealed to be Edmond, wasn't he? So I suppose in that tale he told Albert, the sailor betrayed by his best friend and fiancee was himself, the best friend Fernand Morcerf, and the fiancee Mercedes. Feels like the pieces are slowly coming together but there's still a lot in the dark...

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 9, 2015 12:01 AM

Jan 2014
Zadion said:
Those last few minutes... so epic. Not even sure why that escalated to the degree it did. It went from Haydee revealing Morcerf's crimes to the Albert being sent off in a frenzied panic with seemingly no clue what's going on. Though reflecting on it now, that may have been the purpose: for the viewer to be lost in the sudden emotional intensity the way Albert was.

The Count was officially revealed to be Edmond, wasn't he? So I suppose in that tale he told Albert, the sailor betrayed by his best friend and fiancee was himself, the best friend Fernand Morcerf, and the fiancee Mercedes. Feels like the pieces are slowly coming together but there's still a lot in the dark...

The last few minutes of this episode are my favorite scene in anime, ever. I was floored by how perfectly executed it was. The slow build-up with the Count sending Albert away, the vagueness of how he's feeling at the moment, his breaking down with the somber soundtrack... and the reveal that he's started laughing, as the music picks up perfectly and beautifully. He makes his epic declaration, flash to Albert plummeting towards Earth with the music pounding in the background, and cut to credits.

Just...fucking YES.
zacrathedemon5Sep 9, 2015 12:07 AM
Sep 24, 2015 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
Franz found out from mind raping Valentine's grandfather that Gankutsuou is Edmond, well well well. What will he do now? that scene was odd lol.

Tbh I think the end after sending Albert who my dad said sounded gay for The Count which he kinda did back, I think the look on his face and then what sounded like crying, I do genuinely think he was crying and does care for the boy. I think he turned it in to laughter to not look weak in front of the other one. Or maybe it was a little remaining humanity until it was dismissed.
Oct 4, 2015 12:33 PM

Aug 2012
Oh come on, that crazy laugh wasn't necessary...
Oct 7, 2015 12:54 AM

Apr 2014
Okay, Albert's completely obsessed and infatuated with the count. He basically gave the non-romantic equivalent to a confession, followed by blushy hand-holding. Since Albert is heterosexual, it's kind of like a 'squish.' The asexual word for a non-sexual crush.

I don't think Haydee should feel bad for exposing Albert's father's crimes. That was a pretty rotten thing he did.

Valentine woke up! It was a good thing Maximilian did, bringing back her grandfather.

The count basically told Albert that he will hate the count when everything is over.

DawningFogOct 7, 2015 1:53 AM
Oct 29, 2015 1:26 AM
May 2012
I agree, that laugh, that BGM, that ending...everything.
This episode was fucking great!! Let's see how this will go.
Dec 28, 2015 2:09 PM

Aug 2007
WHAT AN EPISODE!!!

Not only Albert - I too was almost deceived by the Count. When he parted with Albert and sat there "crying", I thought How will he fulfill his revenge when he's grown so close with his enemy's son? And then BAM! That laugh. Purely epic.

5/5
Jan 11, 2016 5:30 PM
Dec 2014
Funny when you think about it: the count is as evil as the people who betrayed him. Not a Christfag but as JC said: turn the other cheek. He could have used all his intelligence to build a new life for himself and Haydee instead.

Becoming consumed by your hatred and desire for revenge can take you down a very dark path. And when it is all over nothing remains but an empty feeling.

As Haydee has now realised.
Jan 11, 2016 5:33 PM

Jul 2013
Feniksrises said:
Funny when you think about it: the count is as evil as the people who betrayed him. Not a Christfag but as JC said: turn the other cheek. He could have used all his intelligence to build a new life for himself and Haydee instead.

Becoming consumed by your hatred and desire for revenge can take you down a very dark path. And when it is all over nothing remains but an empty feeling.

As Haydee has now realised.
Well that just depends if you can classify revenge as justice or miss justice. I personally think it's justice given what they did to him.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 13, 2016 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode.
May 19, 2016 10:07 PM

Aug 2015
Albert: I'm tired of everyone treating me like a child! Tell me the truth!

*is told the truth AGAIN*

Albert: How can you say that?!?

*runs off crying like a child AGAIN*

Getting real tired of your shit, boy.
Jun 11, 2016 11:31 AM

Feb 2016
This is by far the best episode until now and the scene towards the end where the count is saying farewell to albert with his sad expression and that soundtrack playing in the back -- suddenly after this his evil face expression and his laugh -- magnificent, simply perfect. It's becoming one of my favorite scenes of all time in anime.

There was so much going on in this episode with morcerf being exposed and with the count how he was hinting to future events when he told albert that he would like to know whether he'll think about him the same in the future.

Amazing episode 5/5.
Jul 26, 2016 3:32 AM

Jul 2013
Ohhhh boy

Anyway, I was really pining for Albert and the Count but that's ridiculous since Count truly really only has revenge on his mind. It's depressing.

The buildup and tension in the end of the episode is well deserved of the praise everyone is giving like wow, I'm gonna have Count's reaction in my head for a while.
vaporbabeJul 26, 2016 3:37 AM
Jan 7, 2017 5:55 AM

Aug 2014
Intense episode, I wonder if the Count is Edmond himself, and that story he told Albert about seems a foreshadowing of some great plot twists.
Jan 31, 2017 4:35 PM

Feb 2016
The last part was pretty much perfect
I dont really get how he was in prison for 1000 years but these guys are still alive but I guess its some other way around and will be explained.
I still hope for some legit character development.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Peppo

Metty - Apr 30, 2010

14 by SpiralProgress »»
May 22, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.